New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of Millaine IC 2 - Coming Soon to a Theater Near You!

The Active Crystal cell phone slips from Maestro's hand, shattering into a rainbow of static on the ground a hundred feet below the floating Psychokinetic.

The phone didn't matter, he could more than afford a replacement.

What he could not afford, however, was wasting any time.

A massive thunderclap reverberates around the city, as Maestro Mentallo kicks his flight into as high a gear as he can muster, reaching the Hero HQ in seconds, and wasting no time as he frantically works on the computers therein to figure out what the HELL is going on. In the minds of all the Heroes of Millaine (sans Copycat, because even in this current state the man still valued safety from unforeseen circumstance above all else) a cold, booming voice resounds through their skulls like the command from the world itself.

~Copycat is Compromised.~

~Assemble.~

~NOW.~
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

"Ow." Standing next to Maestro, Waterworks takes a few moments to stabilize her form, which threatens to vibrate into particles from Maestro's mental shout. "Looks like it's time to take the Recruiter down. You have a lock on him?" Looks like Marina's gonna miss her shift at the diner... Waterworks thinks wistfully to herself, making sure to keep that thought inside her own head. She fires A quick text over to Lucas as well, since there's no way he hadn't already seen the news.

Looks like Recruiter's got you picking up groceries for him. We're off to get him now. Will keep you posted on cinematic moments.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

"Working on it." Maestro breathes, as he quickly finds that what he's currently doing is a dead end and a half. With a whoosh of air, Maestro is up into Mentallo Tower. His fingers blaze across an Active Crystal keyboard as he removes the filters for Copycat's APEX signature on the WATCHER satellite, and sets it to screen for said signatures until further notice. With another flash of wind, he's back at HQ. "WATCHER's looking for him in the long run, but I'm not stopping there." The young genius's hands are once again a blur as he attempts to triangulate the location of Copycat's teleport beacon.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Technology roll for the beacon: (1d20+20)[23]
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thomas awoke groggily, slowly coming to his senses as the details of the surrounding room came into his perception. There was something wrong; he felt disoriented, probably due to getting his face dunked. He suddenly reached up to feel his cheeks, checking for damage, and as he did that he spotted Desmond.

His eyebrows went up, his body stiffened, and for just a moment the Mimic seemed as if he was trying to process something. Only, before he could finish, he relaxed.

"Hello."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Wilson (a few hours ago)

Wilson couldn't help but grin at his daughter's enthusiasm. "Tell you what. How about tomorrow, the two of us, and Mummy, head down to the Assembly buildings to see what you can do?"

Wilson (now)

About thirty seconds passed between Maestro's mental shout and Wilson arriving on a nanite-formed hoverbike. "And I was having such a nice day..." he grumbled. "What do we know?"

Sean

Sean half had his phone out to call Colt when Maestro's message came through. "Ah, heck," he muttered quietly. ~I'll be there as soon as I can, but I'm...dealing with something.~ He at least had enough respect for Declan remaining to give him a chance to explain himself. ~May be a couple of minutes.~ As he replied to Maestro, he dialled Colt's number.

He knew, just as well as Beth did, that there was no way that Eskiro could resurrect this many people. But he also knew that both Beth and Eskiro probably wouldn't forgive him for not trying. "Hey, Colt? Something, er...happened, a bit of a ways out of Millaine. There's..." he looked around, "a lot of people dead, or dying, and I don't know how much we'd be able to do, but...if you and Eskiro could get here, we'd appreciate it." He paused for a moment to find the coordinates of where they were to give to the time-twister. "Something else you might want to know: these people are Defiants. Defiants in training, at least." He doubted it would make a difference to either of them, but they deserved to know before they came all the way out here.

As he hung up, he remembered something else. "Oh...I gotta go find that Dreamer who awakened in the fight. Damn."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Declan remained silent for a while even after Maestro's voice boomed in his mind, though the shout shook him enough to regain the strength to stand up on his own.

The very thought of running away and let Beth deal with the aftermath of his rampage repulsed him - and yet, that was exactly what the situation required him to do. Could the day become any worse?

Damnit, Tom. Archdamnit.

...well, Colt was probably faster than the chopper, so waiting at least for him arrive was tactically sound, was it not?

~I'm...out of Millaine. Colt is coming, I'll be there ASAP.~

In the meantime, he could at least apologise to one person.

"Beth, I...I'm sorry. I didn't want you to see something like this."
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Maestro, Waterworks, and Wilson

The teleport beacons were equipped with GPS tracking for just this sort of occasion. Maestro pinged Copycat's out in the suburbs, at an address that, according to records, had been foreclosed on several months ago.

Lucas sent back to Waterworks, I'll be honest, I have no idea what to do with that. But make it look good anyway! "Make it look good" was Lucas' equivalent of "good luck" for Waterworks. Whether this was because he didn't feel she needed luck, or because he was aware that such wishes were wasted, was as yet undetermined. Probably a combination of both.

Declan and Sean

Beth...honestly didn't know what to say to that. Not least because being sorry she had seen it didn't necessarily mean he was sorry for doing it in the first place. In some ways, it would have been easier if he hadn't stopped. Then she could at least tell herself that whatever his reasoning was, it was obviously important enough to warrant his actions.

As it was... "I just...don't understand," she said. Her voice was surprisingly calm. No. Controlled. She released Declan, took a couple steps back, and looked at him squarely. "What...I mean, why would..." she honestly didn't even know what she wanted to ask, or what she would have wanted Declan to answer even if she did.

Show
    Declan, do please include a Persuasion check with any answer you might give to Beth.

"-ean, why would..." Beth's voice echoed as Colt and Eskiro appeared, a much more pronounced effect than the normal sense of deja vu. Colt sagged over some, his hands resting on his knees, evidently hit but a sudden wave of fatigue. Eskiro clapped him on the shoulder, sweeping the area and immediately rushing to the mass of burned Defiant-in-training.

And say what you will about the Defiant, but they don't go quietly. Eskiro moved into the center of them, and gathered his power. A shining aura of white light built around him, and he hurled his arms outward with a sharp, tight exhalation. White light exploded from him in an aura of curative power, and when it faded, the Defiant had stabilized...but they were still badly burned. Shaking his head, concentrating, Eskiro unleashed his healing aura a second time, wiping away the horrible injuries entirely and sparing them what would likely have been months of physical therapy and rehab, although they still lay unconscious. He physically staggered when the powerful mass healing was complete.

Show
    Rolled Eskiro's Healing off-line. His first roll came up a natural 3, which was enough to heal one Bruise after Stabilizing them. The second was a 12, which was sufficient to remove their other Bruise and their Staggered condition. They remain Incapacitated, but are physically healed. Since Healing Aura is Tiring, Eskiro is now Exhausted.

He...didn't even approach the Defiant who were already dead. He didn't have enough left to save more than one of them. And some would say, even one life restored was worth it, and they would not be wrong, but Eskiro had long known his limits. Not just limits of power, but limits of will. He would save as many lives as his power allowed, but he could not be the one who chose who was restored to life. He was not strong enough to do that. Not and stay sane.

Colt approached Sean, eyeing the unknown power armored figure warily. "What...happened? What are you guys even doing out here?" he asked.

Copycat

Your non-hostile response did not seem to ease the Recruiter's wariness overmuch. He was eyeing you as if expecting some sort of trap or trick.

He gestured at the space beside him, and a woman appeared. She had a kindly face but watchful, attentive eyes behind light spectacles. She carried a little notepad and pen - who even used paper anymore? - already poised to write in what you somehow just knew would be atrocious handwriting. She gave you a gentle little encouraging smile. Her entire demeanor couldn't have screamed therapist any louder if she had manifested alongside a couch. Her features were vaguely reminiscent of Laraine Simmons.

"It is possible that the other Heroes will be here soon. If that occurs, I would like your assistance in killing them. Are you amenable to that plan of action?"

The Psychological Champion watched you carefully.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

He smiled and nodded.

"Oh, yes, absolutely!"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Because", Declan replied, "there's no other way. They are planning to kill thousands."

"That guy over there?"

He pointed at the armoured Defiant.

"He would have played a relevant role. Everyone else here was training to kill, to kill innocents. I'm sick of having my hands tied until civilians actually die."

"If I have to become a cold blood murderer, so be it. I'm just repaying them in kind."

Then he cast his gaze downwards and clenched his fist, self-loathing seeping through his voice.

"...or so I thought. Apparently, my conscience doesn't value the life of thousands of innocents that much."

Show
    Persuasion: (1d20-1)[13]
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2016-05-24 at 01:18 PM.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

"And one of their encampments being massacred to a man is going to make them less likely to do that...how, exactly?" Sean cut himself off before giving Declan a chance to answer, mostly ignoring Colt; his question had mostly been answered by Declan's reply to Beth. "Whatever. We can deal with this later. I need to catch up with that Defiant, but it looks like we need to get back to Millaine. Something's...going on with Copycat, apparently."

Whatever 'compromised' is supposed to mean.

Without really giving anyone a chance to reply to him, Sean sprang away, following the scent of the man he'd sent into the woods.

Show
    Routine Perception 30 for tracking.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Declan's response didn't appear to give Beth the understanding she was looking for, but it also didn't seem to make things worse. If anything, Sean's warning that there were other matters at hand brought her some relief. She just...didn't know how to react here.

Colt, on the other hand, had been staring in blank, frankly disbelieving shock from the moment he recognized Declan's voice. The look in his eyes clearly said, he couldn't believe the person in the armor was Declan, because there was no way the Declan he knew would do something like this.

"It is not our place to judge you," Eskiro said in his usual calm, patient voice, although a hint of tension in his tone and the fact that he was studiously keeping his attention on tending the injured rather than looking at Declan suggested that inside, he was doing just that. "And I know all too well how hard it is to only be able to mitigate tragedies after they occur, to wish constantly that you had the power to prevent them outright. But surely, there must be another way, a better option than...this."

Sean, meanwhile, was able to track down the new Dreamer trivially, between the fact that he was bumbling along injured through a forest and bleeding a bit with every step. When Sean came upon him, he cried out and half-blindly loosed another bolt of green lightning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Emerald Lightning on Sean, -2 circumstance penalty on the attack roll for being, just, so panicking right now guys. (1d20+2)[5]. On a hit, Toughness DC 19 vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 14 vs. Vulnerable/Stunned Affliction. ...The tree was innocent of any wrongdoing.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-05-26 at 06:01 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty good reactions. Aim needs some work, though.

Sean shook his head slightly, annoyed at his own analytical reaction, raising his hands - claws retracted now, though still blood-stained from his attempt to treat the wounded power armour wearer - in a gesture of peace. "I'm not gonna hurt you. The fight's...over. You can come back if you want that wound healed and a quick way out of here." It would be interesting to see if the newly-fledged Dreamer was willing to accept other Dreamer powers; he seemed to have gotten used to his own fairly swiftly. "Either way I'd suggest you get well away from here before the rest of the Defiants wonder what happened to their camp."

"And go to the Assembly,"
    he added after a moment. "Get your powers scanned, registered, whatever."

Show
    I guess Persuasion? (1d20)[20] (+2 if Attractive applies.)

And also Insight to see if he's actually formed any opinion of his own powers yet: (1d20+20)[38]

EDIT: ...you know, I was considering writing something about how Sean sympathises with this guy. He obviously does.
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2016-05-27 at 11:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

The Dreamer looked at Sean just...numbly. He just kinda blankly nodded and followed him. Sean could tell that he was pretty much in shock and on auto-pilot. He probably hadn't even strictly meant to fire the lightning at him. He had manifested dangerous powers in a dangerous situation. He had never wanted them, but they had saved his life. He didn't know how to control them. Right now, his entire world had been turned upside-down and he just didn't know how to process it.

Once they got back to the camp, Eskiro looked to Colt wearily. "Get them back to Millaine so they can deal with whatever the trouble is. I'll finish tending to these people. Beth, would you mind sticking around, in case some of the other Defiant come back and react impolitely to my saving the lives of their fellows?"

Beth was still looking at Declan with concern, but she distractedly turned her attention to Eskiro. "Yeah. Um, Sean said I shouldn't try to fight them though. I might...if they come back I'm leaping you out, not fighting. Okay?"

"That's fine."

Unless either Sean or Declan had any objections, Colt would teleport them to the base back in Millaine.

Show
    Figured I should move stuff along, but if there's anything else you guys want to do here, let me know and I'll retcon.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"If there's a better option, how comes no one's doing it?" Declan replied to Eskiro, slightly raising his voice as anger resurfaced for a moment. "...nevermind. Just let me get my things." he then added with a weary sigh, heading for the chopper to exchange the power armour with his normal equipment before letting Colt transport him to Millaine.

"Sitrep, Maestro."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro evidently did not handle stress well. Understandable, given how challenging something has to be to require that he actually have to try hard at anything, but nonetheless unhelpful when the chips were down and time was of the essence. He turned to side glance away from the computer console at the two Dreamers as they appeared behind him, his eyes hard with worry, and quickly growing cynicism.

"The strongest and most versatile Dreamer in all of Illessia has just been captured by the other strongest and most versatile Dreamer in all of Illessia, and is now either firmly under lock and key, dead, or worse. Normally I'd ask questions, like 'what took you so long' or 'Sean, why is there blood on your shirt?', but right now, I don't really care." He turns aside to point at the screen he was just viewing. "I've managed to track Copycat's beacon to this house. Now, I don't think I need to remind you what happened the last time we tracked a nemesis down to a quiet suburban homestead, so I also don't need to tell you all that this is almost assuredly a masterfully crafted trap. But right now, it's our best and only lead, and we are taking it."

Maestro pulls out his teleport beacon, with the button on the end of it blinking red. "I've already prepped the teleporter, so we are leaving now." The young genius's eyes are hard and cold, thoughts of doubt towards Copycat (why was he fighting the Summon alone?) mixing with worry over the literal thousands of nightmare scenarios that were running at near-lightspeed through his accelerated brain, as he envisioned the myriad horrifying things the Recruiter could accomplish with Copycat in his possession. "This... This is going to be hell. I can feel it. And I just want you to know that, whatever happens, however this ends, we are bringing Copycat home, and we are ending the Recruiter once and for all." Maestro Mentallo gazes at his team, down a man, but certainly not out of the game. "Are you with me?"

After a brief pause for the rest of the heroes statements, whether or not they take it, the Psychokinetic clicks his thumb onto the beacon's activator, and the Heroes of Millaine are off to face their challenge ahead.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-05-30 at 12:06 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Waterworks spares a worried glance at Sean and Declan when they arrive, sensing the beginning of another group talk. The worry and panic in Maestro's voice distracts her, though, and she decides to drop it for now.

"Let's go save Copycat again," Waterworks responds flippantly, before meeting Maestro's eyes. "And let's knock the Recruiter down and drag him to prison," she finishes, placing slight emphasis on her final words.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps it was his continuing anger at Declan's actions, but Sean glossed over the 'strongest Dreamer' comment which would otherwise have likely frustrated him. "Once we have Copycat back, we are going to talk about what happened," he said. After a moment his voice softened slightly. "But we're gonna get your friend back first."

Wilson, meanwhile, had just about opened his mouth to remind the group of what had happened the last time they'd investigated a surburban house when Maestro got their first. In the absence of anything else to say, he just stood up from his chair.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Declan knew he needed to be focused, but, while that was probably going to be easy enough once engaged in actual battle, right now it was somewhat difficut: part of him wondered why the hell Sean had chosen right that day to follow him - bring Beth, to boot - and then there was also the prospect of "talking about what happened" to the rest of the team, which didn't particularly thrill him - he knew very well none of them, except maybe for Wilson, would understand.

So, instead of uttering something along the lines of "Let's show Leopold who's the boss here", he voiced his readiness to begin the assault with a slightly absentminded "Mmh", and whatever his guts were trying to tell him went unheeded.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Copycat

The Recruiter eyes you almost skeptically for a moment, before giving a curt nod and dismissing the Psychological Champion with a wave. You note that the hammer-fisted one is gone too, evidently dismissed when the new one was summoned. He stood up and started for the room's door.

"Excellent. In that case, come. In all probability, the other Heroes will be making their way here shortly. Not that they should even have any inkling that you are missing yet, let alone what happened if they do, let alone where we are even if they knew, but since when have niggling little details like that mattered to the great Heroes of Millaine? Oh, if Mentallo contacts you telepathically, don't respond. He shouldn't be able to, with the projection blocker, but now that you've managed to arbitrarily track summons of mine to random supermarkets twice, I suppose all bets are off. And I still refuse to accept that you lot managed to find both of those clients simultaneously before they even had a chance to do anything wrong. I swear to Arch, sometimes it almost feels like you have a giant satellite hovering over Millaine with nothing better to do than look for any trace of me, personally."

Not that he's bitter, or anything.

Everyone Else

The teleporter brought the Heroes outside the house Maestro had tracked the beacon to. A nice, two-story brick house with a big yard. The big oak tree in the middle of the yard had a kinda ramshackle but still lovingly crafted treehouse in its branches and a little swing hanging down from it. There were no cars in the driveway (although the garage was closed) and no apparent lights or movement inside.

Only a few seconds after you arrive, the door to a house across the street and a door down opens up, a woman in her twenties standing in the doorway pointing you out to two excited-looking young kids.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"It's funny you mention that! It's all science, mostly."

A spring in his step, the Mimic gladly hopped out of bed and followed his new business partner out towards the door.

"You see, we do happen to have a giant satellite hovering over Millaine. We mostly use it for other things, but I think Maestro was bored one day? He recoded it to specifically look for a unique trackable signal that is only ever outputted by people that are in control of a Summon that was made by you."

He paused, as if he was actually critically considering the information he'd just shared for the first time. Then he shook his head, dismissing whatever had bothered him.

"That's just a hobby thing though. I mostly catch you at the supermarkets by using Magnus' powers. I use his intuitive understanding of tactics and strategies to...to figure out where you're going to stop for supplies next. And then I go to those places and I attack the Summons I find."

Again, he stopped, seeming rather confused.

"Come to think of it, I have no idea how or why any of this stuff actually works."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro, after surveying the area, breaths a tired sigh. "Yeah, this is almost certainly a trap. I'm sensing one mind in the house. It's pretty much a non-entity. No personality, just fierce loyalty and what barely passes for base intelligence. It's calm right now, but it looks like it could fly into a massive rage at any moment. Actually, calm doesn't do it justice. This thing's got zero emotions. A complete mental deadzone." The occasional psychic concentrates for a moment. "I'm also getting a second mind that's directly linked to whatever's in the building. I don't know about you, but either one of those sounds like a Recruiter Summons to me." Maestro flexes his fingers as his brow hardens. "So, unless anyone has any objections, I elect that we first and foremost level this entire house beforehand. Because I don't know about you, but I do NOT plan on setting foot in that thing until I can see through it to the other side, or at the very least after we've given it a try."
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-05-31 at 08:56 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

That's not quite the first thing, Maestro," Waterworks comments, one of her tentacles turning and waving at the family across the street. "I know your PR work can do miracles, but this still might be someone's house, and this isn't an empty street. If we demolish this home without any advance notice, we're going to scare people, Heroes of Millaine or not, and scared people could mean hostages for the Recruiter to use against us." She glances over at the children, then back to Maestro. "You're better at words than I am; a quick explanation of what we're doing and a caution that they should probably stay indoors wouldn't be a bad idea."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro turns to look at the children staring at the assembled heroes across the street, and nods to Waterworks, a sly smile crossing his face. "No problem, Waterworks. And trust me, if this is someone's house, I'll reimburse them for everything immediately after SIDE processes them in triplicate for all of these shenanigans." The psychokinetic assures the water manipulator, spinning on his heels to face away from the house, before closing his eyes and speaking in a very practiced, but nonetheless genuine friendly tone to all the civilians in the immediate vicinity through his telepathic link (careful to omit the mind in the house).

~Hello everyone! Sorry to be a bother to you all, but we're here on business. Nothing too dangerous, but things are about to get a little loud, so I'm going to kindly ask that everyone stay in their homes and remain calm for the next minute or so. Trust me, the Heroes of Millaine have got this.~

Show
    And we find a use for the power!

Routine 30 Persuasion check to get everyone to just calmly keep their distance, as is standard at this point
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-05-31 at 08:09 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

"There've been people you couldn't sense before, Maestro," Wilson pointed out, once the young psychic was done with his speech. "What if the Recruiter has hostages hidden in there? We don't know really what he's capable of, especially since..." ~...since he - or a Summon at least - overpowered Copycat so easily.~ He just about remembered in time to transmit the last bit of that sentence over the mental link; no need to get people panicking.

Then he paused to consider what Maestro had told him of the mind within the house and what he knew of the Recruiter's abilities. Logically at this point they ought to know the vast majority of what Summons the Recruiter had access to.

Show
    If possible, Well-Informed to try to figure out who's been Summoned off to create the rage-Summon: (1d20+18)[22]

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

The children got delighted smiles on their faces and waved back at Waterworks, but a couple seconds later after Maestro's message went through the woman quickly ushered them inside. Although over the course of the next several seconds, all along the street, the Heroes might see curious faces appearing in windows.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

"How about I duck in and take a look?" Waterworks responds to Wilson, keeping her voice and posture casual for the curious faces around the street. "Unless the Recruiter made some major modifications or got ahold of whatever tech the Reclaimers had that kept me out of their building, I can slip through a water line easily enough. If he does have that stuff, then that tells us something right away too. Maestro, where in the building is the presence you can feel? I don't want to pop out right in front of whatever it is; the Recruiter probably expects a scouting trip from me."

Once she gets the info from Maestro, Waterworks stretches a watery appendage to the nearest fire hydrant, disappearing in a rush of liquid. Inside the house, an unattended toilet bubbles and overflows slowly, slipping into a puddle of barely-discernible water. Gross, but hopefully sneakier, Waterworks thinks to herself, looking around to make sure she hasn't been discovered.

Show
    Stealth to sneak in: (1d20+21)[29]

Perception: (1d20+12)[29]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

~Not sure collapsing the house will be very useful,~ Wilson projected after a moment's thought. ~Unless I miss my guess, or the Recruiter has a powerset we don't know about, I reckon it's that exploding elephant in there. And if it's the one we fought before, dropping a house on it might annoy it, but that's about all. And given that its explosions would probably smash the houses on either side, I'd rather destroy it than annoy it.~

Sean, meanwhile, closed his eyes, focusing on his sense of smell and trying to pick up Copycat's scent.

Show
    I think Tracking should work for trying to find Copycat's scent trail (or any other recognisable ones), though maybe I should pick up scent-based Postcognition when I get a chance.

Sean's Perception (Scent): (1d20+20)[37]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

~Back of the house, mostly centered. On the second floor.~ Maestro explains over the mental link. The Psychokinetic responds to Wilson's observations pensively. ~Fair enough. But, even assuming you're right about the Recruiter having no new powers -which is an assumption I hesitate to make- if there's gonna be an initial spray of debris, I'd rather it be on our terms. It'll make it easier to move the thing out of range.~

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Waterworks slipped out of the bathroom and into a small hallway, which led to what was presumably meant to be a living room, although there was no furniture in the foreclosed house. The elephant in the room was huge and dark gray, with occasional glowing red veins running along its body. It was very recognizable as the explosive elephant from previously. Wilson's deduction had been spot on. It had evidently been summoned inside the house, judging by the pile of rubble surrounding it that used to be a significant portion of the second story's floor and the fact that most of its top half protruded through the ceiling. It was simply standing there, completely still, and did not appear to notice Waterworks.

Waterworks would also notice Copycat's beacon on the floor in the center of the living room. There was some sort of technological device wired to it. That device was, in turn, wired to an unnecessarily large pile of plastic explosives. Waterworks noticed the setup shortly before actually moving into the living room.

Sean couldn't smell any trace of Copycat in the vicinity, although even through the closed windows, he could manage to make out the dung-and-sulfur scent of the explosive element, and the smell of a high volume of plastic explosive.

Show
    Sean doesn't have Penetrates Concealment scent, but I figure with a 37...

Copycat

The Recruiter just gave you a flat look as you confirmed the satellite. "And yet, I somehow still manage to find myself surprised. Infuriating."

He began working while you explained the rest, various preparative works that the rest of the team would undoubtedly find extremely helpful to be written out in detail but can rest assured are quiet diabolical! "Yes, that makes two of us," he agreed when Copycat made the comment about not knowing how it worked.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Copycat relays everything she sees back to the group. So, it looks like Copycat isn't here, and neither is the Recruiter, she sends back, skirting around the living room entirely and moving up towards the second floor. I'll scout the second floor to make sure, but... could we just ignore this? Start evcauating the houses nearby, call in a SIDE team to deal with it later, and find the Recruiter before he gets advance warning via his explosive 'surprise'?

Show
    If I can keep Stealth and Perception rolls for the second floor, I will. Otherwise:

Stealth: (1d20+21)[40]
    Perception: (1d20+12)[26]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show