New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: After the opener (possible spoiler)

Quote Originally Posted by JazzManJim View Post
    Parson won't be able to move his units since it's not his turn. Basically, where you units are when you end your turn is where they lay for the next guy's turn.

Here's something to ponder. Looking at panel 6 of the new comic, there seems to be more heavy forest going back into where Ansom's fog prevents them from seeing. I don't think that Parson had to leave the Party Platter so close to the column. He could have moved it closer to GK, but still in heavy forest. Yet he didn't.
    Parson would have wanted the platter as close to the column as possible to make the best possible use of his units' move. According to the Klog, his original plan was that the B dragons would be a buffer against counter attack.
    But this was before he found out that the enemy intelligence wasn't that good.

Ansom is assuming that the wounded dwagons are waiting for him in the base hex surrounded by fully healed dwagons protecting them. Its what would make sense after all.
    But what if they're not?
    Spoiler
    Show

What if Parson has put his wounded dwagons surrounding a base hex full of fully healed ones, and then left a "weak" spot where the enemy can exploit it?
    Even a wounded dwagon could take out those bats - probably without revealing they are wounded.
    Check out past werewolf games at the Unofficial GiantITP werewolf archive
    Also wasting too much time playing Evony right now.
    I don't wanna be a llama or a duck or a wabbit.
    I wanna be a POODLE!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Indeed, I like that idea. Here's another one:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ansom is relying on scouts to probe the hexes, BUT if Parson put a warlord on that back hex he could have ordered the back hex to only attack with three when the scout came a-callin'. That way he can have a decent-sized army waiting for when Ansom comes crashing in with his forces and chew through them.

I do like your idea better though. :)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Interesting. But there is another possibility:

Spoiler
    Show

What if Parson has a big stack of non-forest units in the hex with the 3 dwagons? We know that only fliers and forest-capable units can attack fliers in forest. That means the non-forest units wouldn't be able to attack the bat, and therefore Vinny would never see them. So the Woodsy Elves and Forrest Gumps could be walking into a trap ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeless_Blond View Post
    Indeed, I like that idea. Here's another one:

Ansom is relying on scouts to probe the hexes, BUT if Parson put a warlord on that back hex he could have ordered the back hex to only attack with three when the scout came a-callin'. That way he can have a decent-sized army waiting for when Ansom comes crashing in with his forces and chew through them.

I do like your idea better though. :)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm apprehensive agreeing with a moniker of SlowThinker, but! Not bad! Until I wonder how many units could Parson have brought in, and what kind of stats could they have? On de udder paw, There's two uncroaked warlords missing, and I'm fairly certain that they have a major role in Parson's plan to not lose 19 grade-A dwagons.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pardon me for being so vulgar as to post across threads, but I think this little chestnut from another thread hit the nail on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Seriously, though, I think you guys are giving Ansom too much credit. His idea for attacking Gobwin Knob was to spread his forces out all around it, wait for a weak spot to break as his forces got pounded, then wait some more for the proper type of elf to enter the breach.
    Parson knows this is how Ansom thinks, thanks to Jillian. Therefore the fact that he left one weak hex at the back, rather than spreading the goodies around (sacrifice one from a five hex so the weakest had four - or even one from the A dragons, whats an extra couple of seige engines compared to having a weak spot in your wall?) can only be deliberate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ergo, in the words of Admiral Ackbar...

...its a trap!

Of course I've been absurdly wrong before

I am wondering if Parson might try another metagaming moment (like the night moves) and have the fort implode on their heads the instant Ansom et al try to enter it? Did Misty say all move is reduced to 0 at the end of the turn, or just at night? Because those B dragons have a lot of move left, its just not their turn...
    Last edited by ShiningTed; 2007-06-20 at 02:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningTed View Post
    Therefore the fact that he left one weak hex at the back, rather than spreading the goodies around (sacrifice one from a five hex so the weakest had four - or even one from the A dragons, whats an extra couple of seige engines compared to having a weak spot in your wall?) can only be deliberate.
    We know it's deliberate; it wasn't in the original plan. Ergo, he revised his plan. Myself, I like the "horde of units unable to attack bats at the back door" theory, myself. Possibly combined with "A-Dwagons hiding elsewhere" and "horde of forest units hiding in the center". Going in the back door wipes out the first wave of forest-attackers; then, sending the flying reserves to make their way past the now-injured three dragons to the juicy center eliminates that threat next. Ouchie.

Of course, sending fliers first or together would reduce the effectiveness, but still be relatively acceptable from Parson's viewpoint. Adding one of the Warlords at the back door might (depending on the rules) allow the group there to retreat to the juicy center with remaining move, making the battle at the core even more unpleasant from Ansom's side.

More sushi for Zamussels, perhaps?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by abb3w View Post
    Adding one of the Warlords at the back door might (depending on the rules) allow the group there to retreat to the juicy center with remaining move, making the battle at the core even more unpleasant from Ansom's side.
    According to Page 46:
    all units' move points drop to zero at the end of their turn
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!