Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1069
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    lacco36's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Gender
    Male

    Default [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    When you came into the free city of Zhengar, you hoped to start anew - hoped for fresh start, new chance, opportunity to build your fortune.

    However, from the time you entered the city, you were followed by the same looks - cold stares full of distrust, fear-filled quick glances at your weapons and your armour followed by faster strides to get away from you, awed looks of the kids, followed by their mothers calling them in, calculating gazes of guards - whether you will be their work tonight or the next night... and the stares full of direct hatred - only some, and only well-hidden.

    You immediately knew, that your hopes were futile. You don't belong. These were merchants, guardsmen, women with children. You were... an outsider. Outcast. Someone they at best distrust, and at worst they hate. You wandered the side streets until you reached the same tavern that everyone, who is not a welcome guest sooner or later finds and enters.

    The tavern "Happy Guest" has seen better days. It was small, two-story ramshackle building, with the bar covering the whole ground floor. With a smoking fireplace that made your eyes itch, few tables with benches and few without, greasy barman and dirty glasses, the place obviously attracted only the worst clientele. You could finger-draw into the dirt on the table if you wanted, the drinks were watered down, and you could hear and feel the draft coming through cracks in walls. The few patrons that were sitting around mostly drank their beer or spirits silently.

    You glanced around the table, taking a moment to look into eyes of each of your companions, trying to look deep into their hearts. They were not meant to work the land, to sow and reap, to have families. They were bladeslingers. Swordsmen. Soldiers. Mercenaries. They were not a nice bunch, but you knew you can trust them - because you were and are one of them. And you all know only one line of work.

    You found each other - as one outcast you recognized the others. You didn't fit in. You stood out and they did too. You ended up sitting at the same table beside the fire because no one else would sit with any of you. You shared some stories, but ultimately you knew what brought you together. It's better to sit with someone who understands that you don't want to share your life story - you want to change it. And then the lady suggested to create a group. To swear an oath.

    The other tavern guests ignored you - trying not to upset you. And it was wise.

    You all had nothing to lose, so you swore that day. To put past grievances away. To put your skills to good use - and to make a good life out of it. You nodded, looking at the pouch in the middle of table. It contained only measly amount of coins - the small amount which you all put together, most of it coming from a single source.
    You swore to work together. To try to make living, or die.
    Because no one should die alone.




    You sit around the table, in the tavern. The fire provides pleasant warmth - the spring wind coming from the sea is still too crisp and while it lacks the winter's bite, you are still glad you don't have to sit outside. There is a faint smell of smoke and stew in the air.

    The greasy tavernkeeper comes to your table, starts to pick up the cups.
    "You - order 'nother round or git lost. And don't even think about stayin'ere. No free rooms." He suddenly smiles, showing you the blackened teeth. "Try the Red Cassle at the New Market or Lone Fox inn, just down the street be'ind the cement'ry, they's always empty."

    As one man, you stand up and walk out.

    As you exit the tavern, you squint as your eyes attempt to adjust to the light. While the wind still reminded you of winter, the sun attempted to provide the warmth of spring. If it wasn't for the wind, it would be a very pleasant day, with only few clouds on the sky, driven fast by the wind, and the sun slowly moving over the horizon, just over the rooftops, which slowly begun its graceful descent about two hours ago. Yet the sidestreet in which the tavern stands, is bustling with activity. Dock labourers, sailors and traders - they all move around you, trying to finish their chores before the sunset. Dogs chase cats, carts roll through the street and kids play in this chaos.Few steps away from you, two women talk, glancing to you as if to decide whether they should take their private conversation inside, denying themselves the pleasant sun.

    Up the streets you see several shops, leading to a crossroad with larger street - one that winds up the hills to the Fortress. The cliff upon which the fortress stands, towers around you and the only thing that equals its height are the spires of Cathedral of the Vigilant Guardian.

    A man in rich-looking, but worn trader's clothes stands in front of a run-down warehouse, with a pouch in his hand, just opposite the tavern. He looks at you quizzically and approaches your small group.

    "Say, wouldn't you be interested in easy possibility of profit?" His voice sounds hopeful and concerned.

    You look at each other, surprised at how fast a job presented itself. Kate looks at everyone else in the group and steps up, asking about the job.

    The others watch the street for a while, not trying to disturb Kate, who seems to be doing good job extracting information from the trader. After few minutes, she returns to the group, informing them about the job.

    The man says he is a trader has a staff shortage. He needs you to transport a wagon full of goods to trading post inside the Darkwood forest. It should take less than week of travel - should you successfully drive the wagon there, your reward after returning shall be 3 silver coins per head, which would provide you with comfortable living for at least a week. On top of this the trader promised that you will be provided food and money for lodging - there should be inns on the road.

    The Darkwood forest, according to Nazir's knowledge, are vast and there are still some unexplored parts, lots of ruins, and roads that lead to nowhere. The bandits also roam the area. However, he should be able to shorten the time.

    Kate explained the job details, looked around and stated: "I say we accept. This is good honest work, for a reasonable wage. It'll also give us a chance to practice working as a group, before the more serious jobs arrive. We shouldn't be courting serious mercenary work until we've got a feel for one another's styles."

    Ruark looked at Urukubarr. The half-orc was watching the trader, and didn't respond, however, Ruark knew their situation and voted for yes. The coin provided would cover basic needs like food and shelter. He saw this as a cake-walk assignment with minimal risk rewarding good money on success. It would be a good start towards building a reputation among the merchant class, which should be helpful if they ever decided to find more lucrative work for anyone in that circle.

    "This job sounds good enough, yes? But before accepting we'll have to hear how much he'll be willing to pay. Plus we'll need some coinage up front for supplies, or maybe we could get him to supply us some for a discount on the price of the job," Kafar offers his opinion to the group in a hushed tone so as to not let the merchant hear him.

    After short discussion, Kate approached the trader with good news - and he was happy. He introduced as Kotrban Shakchir, and told them they would be bringing a shipment of iron bars, hides and few barrels of smoked fish, the wagon awaiting them outside the city. He was more than happy to pay them three silver coins as advance payment. As they were leaving, a boy approached the trader, who whispered to him few quick sentences. The boy immediately jumped on a horse and left.

    They got basic supplies from the bazaar and in an hour they stood outside the city walls. A wagon pulled by two work horses was waiting for them, along with enough food for a week, as the trader promised, and another silver piece. The man who guarded the wagon looked more like a horse thief than steward, but he recognized them and provided also advice - to stop by the old Gray Tankard Inn along the road.

    As they were leaving the city, Nazir looked to the sky and warned everyone about the possible weather change. There were dark clouds coming from the west. Since he was the one who knew the area, he took the point, stating that they will have to follow the main road for a day, then turn north at the crossroads near the carved stone.

    Their travel started. And in front of them, a solitary figure of boy on a horse was slowly diminishing...




    That was three days ago.

    The rain started during the night they left Zhengar. Torrents of rain whipped them as the wind swept the raindrops agains their faces. Gray clouds rolled on the sky, lightnings lashed the ground, and the wind swung the branches of the trees, bending them to one side and then to the other. You have not seen sun since you left Zhengar, and met no one on this part of the road...

    ...except when you found the body of a young boy, maybe 16, lying in a ditch near the road. He was dead - it was obvious that fall killed him - he has fallen down from a horse, directly on a stone. You found the horse about mile from the body. You watched Urukubarr calm the creature down, approaching it slowly, talking to it the whole time in slow, guttural language.

    You lost an hour digging a shallow grave for the boy. But you lost more because of the shipment - the wagon was slowing you down due to bad quality of road. And if it weren't for Nazir's eyesight and Urukubarr's amazing orientation skills, you would have missed the carved stone and crossroads yesterday. At least it seems that you have the correct way now.

    But still no sight of any inns. And the rain shows no signs of weakening. It's getting dark and you can see only few meters ahead...

    And suddenly, there it is. Right in front of you, out of the darkness, a two-story building appears, crammed between the trees of the forest, right beside the road. A thatched roof. A stone walls, with timber construction. Seven windows on the lower floor, three on the higher. And a large door in the middle, right next to the post for horses.

    While you move forward, you recognize a rock cliff, around 8 yards high, right behind the building, and stables, around 10 yards to the side. The main building is around 16 yards across, and the stables are also quite large.

    You notice the sign - and it seems to be a rough painting of tankard.

    But something is wrong. The place - it seems abandoned. Lower windows, all seven of them that you can see, are nailed shut, and while the upper ones still have some glass in them, there is no light inside.

    Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    ...and so the adventure begins.

    Traditional GM question: what do you do? And start with - where were you and what were you doing when you noticed the tavern.

    The wagon has a sheet that protects the cargo and those who ride on it from rain (2 places due to the load). I assume Nazir was currently there, since he wasn't scouting ahead.
    One of you also gets the free work horse from the boy. One point there - the funeral took only hour, which is - I assume - the time that would be acceptable for everybody. If someone wants to address this part, or anything in the text above, write in OOC - I'll add it to this introduction.

    Last edited by lacco36; 2016-03-07 at 05:23 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Yes, that is my name. Feel free to use it.
    Currently GMing:
    Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Gerric rested a few stones on top of the boy, and brushed some sweat from his brow when the funeral was over. So far, the trip had been fairly dull, but that was fine, he liked dull. Dull meant he was being paid to do nothing.

    Getting back on his horse he looked at his companions, he had learned to be wary of orcs and their kind from his home, but he had to admit Urukubarr had been useful. These southern lands were so different from his mountainous home. The trees, the smells, it was all so much more vibrant. There was a beauty to it, even in a place called Darkwood.

    When they finally found their way to the inn the hairs on the back of his head stood on end. A sight he'd seen before, nailed up windows and empty buildings. Usually, he saw it after he left a town, rather than before he entered.

    "Raiders, likely," he said as they got close. "Might want to check for supplies," he paused as he got off his horse. "And survivors," he added.

    Heading toward the inn, he had his axe and shield already at the ready as he checked if the door was nailed shut as well.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mathis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Ruark felt like he was back at sea driving through all this mud and rain, he was almost a Captain of mud. In fact he had repeated so several times during the trip since the rain started and he seemed more amused by his own joke each time he told it, letting out a loud hearty laughter whenever he finished entirely unconcerned about how amusing the joke was to the rest of the group. Ruark truly was happy for the rain, the heat in this land was stifling to him and being wet had offered a temporary reprieve from it. He did however look forward to drying up and the building coming up in the distance seemed promising as far as shelters went. He remarked that it was strange there were no lights coming from the windows, and when they came close he realized why.

    He had been chatting with Gerric, talking about what life was like in the North, about home and about everything under the sun. Now he joined Gerric as he got off his horse and approached the inn.

    "That's some mighty polite raiders Gerric, nailing up the owners' windows like this"
    , he quipped as they got closer. "Would be nice to get out of the rain and have a chance to dry up tonight as well." His tone was light but the fact that he spoke in a careful whisper revealed that he was as worried as anyone.

    He slid his shield from its shoulder strap and and gripped it securely, keeping a hand on his sword still in its scabbard. As Gerric tried the door Ruark tried to peek in through a window, if they weren't all nailed completely shut.
    Last edited by Mathis; 2016-03-06 at 04:44 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Nazir was practical minded. Having lived alone so for long and being imprisoned, his humor was long buried in cobwebs.

    The rain was annoying but there were benefits from it and he did enlighten the others, reminding them again if spirits got low. The rain would keep bandits from hearing us coming. Keep them from attacking us from range with a volley of arrows. Bandits would have to ambush from close by, giving Nazir the advantage with his better night sight. Being delayed by their slow progress was an acceptable trade-off.

    As the party stops in front of the building Nazir interrupts the others heading forward. "Hold up. Let me check for tracks before you step all over them." From up on the wagon Nazir looks all around with his infravision for any signs of others around while he draws his sword. He then gets off the wagon and makes his way up to the front door checking the ground for tracks. Any tracks probably wouldn't last too long but there was a chance that the tree coverage would help keep any tracks from washing away.

    If there are no signs of tracks, Nazir waves the others forward as he approaches the door to listen and see if there are any cracks he can look through.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I have Tracking 8, Search 7, and Perception 7. Do you want us to roll for such stuff or leave the rolling to you as with combat?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Group-Stats for lacco36's [Riddle of Steel] Soldiers of Fortune
    Kricen for J-H's Complex of Doom
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    "Brother horse, I come to you in peace. Under the pact that runs deeper than blood, binding our very souls granted to us by First Father in the sky, I shall care for you as you shall care for me. Stand with me and be my brother."

    Urukubarr was happy to finally do something beyond pounding mud, the horse had been distrought over the death of his rider and knew not what to do. These "domesticated" animals sometimes lacked certain basic instincts. Urukubarr offered a short prayer to the improvised grave of the boy. In any event, he was happy to have a new companion.

    He had sensed the Gerric did not appreciate his presence at first, but at least he was not hostile by any measure. Ruark didn't seem worries, and so Urukubarr was not. Urukubarr learned long ago that outsider did not mean enemy, not anymore. Sometimes people needed a chance to become comrades.

    Upon arriving to the broken down inn, Urukubarr frowned and crossed his arms in his usual stance. The soaked clothes over his body revealed his tensed muscles, he did not like how this place felt. Missing the feeling of heavy plate on his body, he reminded himself that he first learned to fight this way, unarmored. He jumped down with his greatsword in one hand and slowly approached the door, staring at it intently.

    Urukubarr approaches the door, waiting on the side for the other to give some sort of signal.
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-03-06 at 07:22 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    At times, being well-equipped could have its downsides. Katherine (or 'Kate', as people usually called her) was lucky enough to have her own horse: Which meant that she couldn't sit in the covered wagon. She was also clad from head to toe in thick metal armour: Which now resonated with the impact of countless raindrops. After three days of that annoying *plink* noise, she was almost ready to just ride in her regular clothes. But such petty worries vanished when they found the boy. Such a shame. It made Kate remember that, all things considered, her new life was off to a good start. She looked around at her five companions: Fully aware of how lucky she'd been to find them.

    When the inn came into view, Kate breathed a sigh of relief. At last she could get warm and dry again. Alas, no such luck. She dismounted, and drew her sword and shield. At Nazir's prompting, she stayed back while he checked for tracks. What had happened to this place?

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my own mind

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Digging the grave wasn't the easiest thing in the mud when it stuck to every shovel full, but it was a far sight easier than digging a hole in the dusty ground in The Scorch when the land would just fill the dust you just moved away. Kafar hadn't expected to see death so soon in this verdant land. Here there was life everywhere you looked. It seemed like an eternal well spring. But he reasoned soon after seeing the unfortunate boy, that with life comes death.

    Coming out from under the tarp, Kafar looks around and almost immediately felt as if something wasn't right here. It wasn't the fact that this driving rain would have surely driven even the mad indoors, but it was how deserted this all felt. He took in the boarded windows on the ground floor and broken glass in the windows above. Wait, he says quietly, yet urgently, to those within earshot. Thinking to himself, this feels like nothing but a big trap... He signals with this hands that he wants to check out what's around the building before entering the inn.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He'll try sneaking around, which shouldn't be too difficult in the driving rain, but I don't know how well he'll be able to spot(6) anything of any danger as his search(7) skill aren't the best.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Nazir is right in sync with Kafar wanting to scout around the outside first. He speaks just loud enough for the group to hear, knowing the rain would keep his voice from traveling too far. "We should pair off. Kate's group with the wagon, Kafar to the left and me to the right by the stable? Care to join me Gerric?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Group-Stats for lacco36's [Riddle of Steel] Soldiers of Fortune
    Kricen for J-H's Complex of Doom
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Kate nodded. Heavily armoured soldiers like her weren't suited for scouting. She'd be better off guarding the wagon.

    "Agreed. So, who shall my partner be?"

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Urukubarr grows deeply, "If is trap, maybe know we here now. Wagon not quiet, maybe rain help. I scout or wait, not caring." Urukubarr continues to wait for a consensus.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    lacco36's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Gerric

    Gerric approached the door, taking careful but firm steps. He avoided the largest puddles of rainwater as he passed the half-rotten post with several iron rings for binding of horses.

    The door was closed. It was a heavy wooden door, with iron fittings. It seemed a bit crooked, but it wasn't nailed down. By the corner of his eye he saw Ruark approaching a window carefully. He stepped closer and tried to look through the cracks in the wood. At first he saw only darkness inside - but then a lightning struck and for a moment he saw some tables and benches. It was just a moment, but he saw no people inside and the room seemed to be in desolate state.

    He took a step back from the door, looking at Ruark. In the same moment he realized that Urukubarr moved next to him. Either the half-orc was so silent in movement, or the thunder covered his steps.




    Ruark

    The windows were boarded up, but it has been done in very shoddy way - the gaps between the boards were wide enough for him to see inside of the inn, however there was no light inside and he could hardly make out the outlines of few tables and benches.

    And then the lightning struck.

    The bright flash allowed him - for a moment - to see the room well-lit. He noticed several door, stairs, a large fireplace, and a bar with several barrels on the wall. There were no people in the room, and no signs of them - but he had only a moment to see it...and then it was dark again.

    He looked at Gerric and noticed that Urukubarr moved also near the door.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I assumed that you moved next to Gerric, to the first window. However, no idea whether left or right from him. The description still stands, however.





    Nazir

    It took a moment to adjust his vision, but slowly he started noticing the reddish aura that surrounded both men and animals, which the fey could see. He looked around, and noticed that the forest was quite alive - birds, small animals...he even noticed a deer, moving behind some of the trees. However, no living men around, except for his group.

    He didn't even try to pierce the building's walls, windows or doors with the sight - the months spent in prison taught him, that this was impossible for his eyes.

    It took him while to walk to the inn while looking for tracks - but the rain has done its work properly. He was able to find tracks that belonged to animals, from which he took note of the two wolves and the deer. He managed to find exactly one footprint of a man - directly in front of the door. He was sure it did not belong to any of his companions, for it was a footprint of a bare foot. But it could have been several days old, being protected by the roof.

    He gave signal to the others and tried to listen at the door, however, the sound of rain hitting on trees drowned any sounds from the inside. While he listened, Gerric looked through the cracks of the door. And then the lightning struck and thunder overwhelmed his hearing.




    Urukubarr

    Urukubarr's horse let out a little neigh when he dismounted. It was a stout, large working horse, but it was a loyal companion. Urukubarr was sure the horse wouldn't leave him if he fell down from it.

    He waited for a signal from Nazir, and when he waved at them, he slowly walked towards the door, standing next to Gerric, between him and Ruark.

    Urukubarr felt his nostrils enlarge with every breath he took. He smelled trouble - and while he felt uneasy from the overall look of the tavern and the atmosphere, he would invite a fight. He never feared a man, but knew there were worse things out there than men.

    He didn't know whether it was only his mind playing tricks on him, but he felt like there was a faint trace of blood in the air, subtle, almost indiscernible, to which his animalistic side reacted.

    And he was almost sure that the horse felt it too.




    Kate

    Kate watched the surroundings for any movement. She observed her companions move ahead, slowly scouting the area. While they were not as coordinated and single-minded as the professional soldiers she knew, it was immediately recognizable that each of them was a warrior in his soul. They were prepared for a fight.

    It was up to her to help them discover their full potential.

    While this went inside her mind, she subconsciously watched Nazir look for tracks, Ruark observe the indoors through the window, while Gerric and Nazir checked the door. Neither one of them tensed up, which most probably meant they discovered no enemies. That was both good and bad. She felt that they were looking forward to someone to vent their frustration on and enemy would be the best choice.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you want to organize/coordinate the others, rolls for Tactics and Leadership could help.





    Kafar

    Kafar waited for Nazir's signal and started moving to the left. While the scout was obviously looking for possible trouble, he looked for possible gain.

    At first he went in a wider circle around the building. While he didn't really try to sneak - the rain provided good cover - he tried to watch both the building and the surroundings for possible danger.

    But after few steps, he started noticing the windows, possible entry points... the windows were boarded-up from the inside, but it seemed like a hurried work, not very hard to overcome. The second floor could be scaled easily even when wet, and some of the windows already had broken glass, which would mean entry without sound. However, that would mean he would have to enter the building alone... on the other hand, the entry door looked a bit crooked, which could mean they would have to break it down...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I took the liberty of "asessing" the building entry-wise. Courtesy of the PER/Breaking & Entering skill. Don't forget, you are the party "thief"...
    (5d10)[5][4][6][4][6](25) TN 6 = 2 successes
    Last edited by lacco36; 2016-03-06 at 04:34 PM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Yes, that is my name. Feel free to use it.
    Currently GMing:
    Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Urukubarr's nostrils flared, even in the rain he could smell blood - a smell he or any blooded warrior could never mistake. Urukubarr fell into a fighting stance, half-swording as he figured once they entered, there may or may not be room to manuever his hefty sword. "Ruark..." Urukubarr spoke softly but urgently, the hairs on his neck raised, his eyes widened, pulse quickened; the half-orc who was calm and collected a moment ago now resembled a riled up animal. "Blood, Ruark. Not strong outside, coming from inside."
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-03-06 at 05:02 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    "Found one footprint at the door. Man, barefoot. Can't tell how old it is." Nazir moves off toward the stable, moving quietly with sword in hand.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (7d10)[8][8][9][4][6][4][8](47)
    Also checking between the building and stable as I go by there. Looking for foot prints and unusual heat signatures. Yes, the squad of bandits hiding in the stable or up on the cliff does count as unusual :)
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Group-Stats for lacco36's [Riddle of Steel] Soldiers of Fortune
    Kricen for J-H's Complex of Doom
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mathis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Ruark nodded at Urrukubarr to let him know he understood and drew his sword despite the pouring rain, something he had been hesitant to do when there was no immediate danger. He never seized to be amazed by how animalistic these orcs could be at times. Their heightened senses seemed almost unnatural to him, though deep down he knew they were as natural as humans could ever be.

    He was also impressed by these southern soldiers, it was obvious to him now what the difference between a soldier and a warrior was. Even at this rudimentary level the benefits of organization was clear. Though he did prefer to play it safe, the independent Northerner in him was becoming restless, there was after all such a thing as being too cautious and he began to look anxious about standing around for too long. "We should move inside then Nazir, on a count of three the three of us, me, Urrukubarr and Gerric first. If we have the favor of the gods we'll find nothing but empty space and a wounded man."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Nazir heads toward the barn but as he looks back to the group he sees half the party about to bust in the door. So much for checking our flanks first. He drops to a knee at the corner of the building, blending in with the darkness and the wall. For now he keeps watch from where is he, able to see back to the party, over towards the stable, and an occasional peek around the corner for the side of the building and up to the cliff.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (7d10)[8][3][10][8][10][1][3](43)
    Sneak (8d10)[1][3][10][5][4][5][4][8](40)
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Group-Stats for lacco36's [Riddle of Steel] Soldiers of Fortune
    Kricen for J-H's Complex of Doom
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my own mind

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Kafar looks at the windows and almost immediately lets his greedy imagination get the better of him. As he starts climbing to the open windows he notes that even though the side of the building is wet, and he's chilled from the rain, there's still some fairly decent hand holds. As he gets a few feet off the ground Kafar thinks twice about going in alone without at least notifying the others what he intended. He works his way down and back to Kate. "I didn't see anything, but I could make my way up to the broken windows..." he left his unasked question hanging.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Urukubarr was ready to break through the door at a moments notice, he only waited for the command to do so. Long ago during his training with Ruark's people, he learned the value of teamwork and the dangers of the individual working outside the team's efforts. They tried to have him work out his animalistic agression, but that was a gift from Mother Gaia and was a part of his soul. Instead, he learned to think through and control the rage.

    Even so, the druid-knight was becoming impatient, a low growl emanates from his throat. He stands ready.
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-03-07 at 12:19 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Gerric nods to Ruark's idea and brings his axe and shield up in preparation for a fight. He did not expect many healthy opponent's on the other side of the door, if they were they were being inhumanely quiet. But it was better safe than sorry, and he'd been a part of stranger ambushes before.

    "On three then."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Urukubarr takes up a half-swording stance, prepared to barge into the door.

    "... One..."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    lacco36's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Urukubarr

    Even the pouring rain and the descending darkness couldn't extinguish the flames in Urukubarr's soul.

    The whiff of blood, the promise of fight, the threat of unknown forces behind the door sent Urukubarr's heart racing. He breathed in deeply, to calm down, to collect himself - he didn't want to lose himself in the deadly dance that was supposed to begin.

    And then he heard Gerric's cold, determined voice.
    "On three then."
    He felt exhilaration. He was among warriors, among his own kind. He smelled steel, felt his blood boiling. He was prepared...




    Nazir

    Nazir watched the area from the corner of the building. For a moment he watched the cliff over the inn, expecting bandits to appear on it, but nobody did. And still he felt uneasy, as if he overlooked something.

    He looked at the sky, trying to guess when the raining will stop, but he saw only more gray clouds. The Darkwood welcomed them with its own kind of hospitality.

    Once again he focused on the aura of his companions, who were now whispering to each other something around the door. He could hear only hushed fragments, but he understood the words "blood" and "on three".

    He nodded. It will begin soon. He surveyed the area for someone else, but except for the denizens of the forest, he saw no one. He calmed down a bit, because for now, he was sure about one thing - outside there were no enemies. And he also saw no auras of horses inside the barn - the gaps were wide enough for him to see at least some outlines.




    Ruark

    Ruark weighed the sword in his hand. It was different from the ones his brothers wielded in Savaxen, the blade was wider and more accustomed to thrusting, the guard was wider, protected his hand better. The metal in his hands always calmed him down for a moment - on one hand, he was sure that there is a foe who will defeat him and send him to Wodan's fortress, to sit at the table with his ancestors...but he was also strangely sure, that it will happen on a different day. Not today, he told himself.

    He looked around and saw that Urukubarr is clenching his fists, Gerric tightening his grip on his axe and behind him, Nazir, watching them from the corner of the building. Behind him stood Kafar and Kate, whispering to themselves. And then he heard Gerric's words, spoken in the kind of tense and excited voice men have before they start killing. "On three then."




    Kafar and Kate

    While Kafar climbed down, he peeked into one of the downstairs windows on the left side of the building and his eyes saw shelves and boxes. Some sort of storage, perhaps...

    Kafar found Kate near the wagon. They had a good view of the others - Gerric and Ruark were preparing for fight, brandishing their weapons, preparing their shields. Next to them stood Urukubarr, higher then both of them, whose muscles could not be concealed under his clothes - to them he looked like an ancient god of war in the battered armour, with the greatsword on his back. The trio was watched also by Nazir from the corner of the building.




    Gerric

    Gerric's hand found the handle of his axe almost instanteously. He watched Urukubarr and Ruark as they prepared for the fight ahead. The quietness on the other side of the door unnerved him slightly - he would welcome a charging horde more than this tension. At least he will have warriors on his side this time and he will be the one who attacks...

    He felt that the preparation for the battle cleansed his mind of thoughts on vengeance. Last few days were peaceful, and while he still woke up at nights, the feeling of pursuit he felt ever since he had to leave his village was gone - at least for the moment. It was replaced by the feeling that came from the axe in hand, from the shield and from the upcoming fight.

    He welcomed it.
    Last edited by lacco36; 2016-03-07 at 04:01 PM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Yes, that is my name. Feel free to use it.
    Currently GMing:
    Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Kate shook her head at Kafar's plan. The group's strategy was too fragmented already, without adding another on top. She looked over at her comrades by the inn, who were still hesitating at the entrance. Each of them was a skilled warrior in their own right; But they came from completely different backgrounds. None of them was sure where they stood in relation to the others. Who was in charge? Who was following whom? Well, maybe they just needed someone to step up and give an order. Decision made, Kate spoke to Kafar in in her best officer voice.

    "No; Go and support Nazir. We shouldn't be focusing all our attention on the front of the inn. Keep an eye out for any surprises coming our way."

    She then caught the others' attention. Through some quick simple gestures and mouthed words, she communicated a plan of action to them: Which was basically just a stealthier version of Ruark's plan. Enter on the count of three, quietly. It didn't matter that she was just slightly modifying someone else's suggestion. All she wanted to do was to turn that suggestion into an order. Then everyone could stop hesitating, and start doing.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2016-03-07 at 04:12 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Urukubarr nodded in understanding to the new and revised plan of just walking in. He had to admit, he didn't want to break the door anyway since it would let the heat out when they tried to settle in later.

    "... Two... Three!"

    Urukubarr places his hand on the door, keeping his sword on guard - and attempts to open it to walk inside quickly, yet quietly.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mathis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Ruark simply follows Urrukubarr inside if and when the door opens, while internally contemplating whether they agreed to go on three, or after.
    Last edited by Mathis; 2016-03-08 at 05:08 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    The door should have opened, Urukubarr grunts softly, "Stuck..?"

    The door does not budge, so he leans into his hand attempting to open the stubborn door as silently as possible. He gradually applies more and more force as can be seen by the slow tensing of his corded muscles...

    Spoiler: ST vs. Door
    Show
    (9d10)[3][9][5][4][8][5][9][5][6](54) TN8

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Nazir looks back and sees Urukubarr trying to force the door. He subtly shakes his head and whispers to himself. Always know what you are getting into given the chance. Three days of this rain though. Can't really blame them. He moves back a bit, to the window on the far right and looks in.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (7d10)[5][7][1][3][7][9][10](42)
    Plus infravision.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Group-Stats for lacco36's [Riddle of Steel] Soldiers of Fortune
    Kricen for J-H's Complex of Doom
    Javartis for GF's RHOD

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    lacco36's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Kate & Kafar

    Kate watched the rest of the group - Nazir took position near a window on the far right side of the building, while Urukubarr tried to open the door. She watched as he pushed the door, which finally gave way, and disappeared inside, followed by Ruark and Gerric, nearly without sound and almost as they were practicing it for a long time.

    She felt quite proud of the group - and it seemed that they worked well together. However, the true test of their prowess was yet to come.




    Urukubarr, Ruark, Gerric

    Urukubarr pushed the door with his large hand and it didn't budge at first. After few seconds it seemed to give way and the door swung open with only the sound of one iron hinge falling off to the ground.

    Urukubarr quickly yet silently entered, leading way. Ruark followed, with Gerric close behind him, axe ready.

    The room was dark, but a lightning struck as they enter, giving them a picture of its former glory. The inn must have been quite successful in its time - the room was large and spacy - it occupied both floors, with the upper floor consisting of a walkway supported by beams.

    There saw no people inside. As their eyes adapted to the darkness, they saw more of the room.

    The floor of the main room was covered with hardwood, there were candleholders on the walls, and in the center of the opposite wall was a large fireplace with enough space for a pig on a spit. Several tables with benches still stood on their places, two already broken. On the right side there was a bar - part of it was already demolished - with few kegs on stand.

    On the left side, directly on wall, there was a staircase, leading to upper floor. Behind the staircase a door was visible on the back wall. Next to it stood the fireplace with a large shelf, over which a large emblem of tankard was painted.

    Between the fireplace and the bar there was another door. The bar itself had one door behind it - this one was slightly ajar. On the right side, there was an arch, covered by rotting curtain.

    Near the staircase they saw a stain on the floor. It seemed like a puddle of water - they heard dripping of water.

    There was a draft, since they opened the door, but that was welcomed as the air was still and it contained both the sweetish odor of decay, the smell of weathered wood and a tinge of blood in the air. They could all now smell it - just a suggestion, but definitely it was there.

    There was also something eerie in the atmosphere - it seemed like the inn was abandoned for long time, yet when they entered, they had the feeling they heard something - like a gasp of breath, the surprised silence that usually comes when you enter unexpected, and a movement - but they more felt it than heard it.

    And the most unnerving thing were the shiny eyes that watched them from under the stairs. Yellow and mirror-like, they seemed not to move at all...

    Spoiler: TL:DR Description
    Show
    Four door (behind staircase, on the opposite side, behind bar, to the right), one staircase up.
    Eyes under the stairs.





    Nazir

    Nazir stared into the dark room, as the lightning struck. He could see, through the gaps in boards, a large table and several benches covered by something that looked like furs. There was an arch on the left wall, covered by something that looked like an old piece of fabric.

    He glanced at the rest of his group, and noticed that they already entered the door - but they were in a different room...

    Then the thunder came, and he was deafened by the blow for a moment...
    Last edited by lacco36; 2016-03-10 at 04:40 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Yes, that is my name. Feel free to use it.
    Currently GMing:
    Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Gerric moved forward toward the staircase and the doors.

    "One at a time," he whispered to his companions as he pointed at each of the doors. "And someone should stay in the back to watch the stairs, make sure no one comes down." He reached for the first door, though he waited to open it to see if anyone else had a better idea.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Kate was glad to see the three members of the vanguard getting off to such a good start. It made her wish that she was in there with them. But of course, everyone had their own parts to play. Along with Kafar and Nazir, her job was to cover the other angles. Someone had to keep an eye on the other buildings; Had to watch the flanks; And had to guard the supplies. You couldn't always be on the front lines. Still, she watched carefully for any sign of commotion from the inn. Should her comrades have need of her, she'd be there for them.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    Urukubarr took note of all the entryways, but is most interested in the eyes. He doubts they belong to anything, lifeless as they are. The half-orc moves carefully, aware of his surroundings, toward the eyes to investigate.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mathis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

    "No!", Ruark exclaimed loudly enough to be heard even by those close to the building outside, all pretense of whispering forgotten, protesting Gerric's suggestion. His gaze was fixated on the staircase and the yellow eyes beneath it. "We should be worried about that thing coming coming out from under the stairs, not someone coming down them." He used his sword to point towards whatever was hiding there. As dull as it was it at least seemed to offer him some sense of security. He puffed his chest out and took half a step forward, "You there Demon!" he spoke with an awestruck tone of voice, revealing his superstitious tendencies, "Show yourself and prove you mean no harm!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •