New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

Nazir doesn't make a show of noticing the woman. He discreetly mentions to Kate so that the woman wouldn't see or hear. "Don't react, but we are being followed. Woman, fancy robes, her attitude makes her stick out. Seen her twice so far, watching us." He continues along beside Shakchir, becoming more aware of everything and everyone as they followed the path.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The guards were moving in the same direction we are right?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Kate and Nazir

Spoiler: Cavir
    Show

Sorry could have been more clear. You were already in the main market area, but that was crowded so you followed Shakchir's directions down a few side paths. The guards are heading toward the main market area, so you are crossing paths, but going opposite directions.

Shakchir's head shot up, when Nazir mentioned they were being watched. His eyes narrowed, and he quickly looks around.

Kate takes a more subtle approach, and manages to catch the woman through the corner of her eyes. She recognized the clothing immediately. Her expensive looking robes held the insignia of her homeland, along with two red falcons. They must have been the sign of some minor noble house that Kate either had not heard of or had forgotten. Around the woman were several servants, most holding onto fans and water, for their mistress. But three among them were armed, obviously her guard.

The woman's eyes bore into Kate, and her jaw set as she struggled to stay just behind Kate, Nazir, and Shakchir while still having her servants provide a barrier between herself and the common people of the market.

Uruk and Ruark

"Your building?" The guard seemed confused, then his face grew grim. "If it's your building, then you must be part of it!" He reached for the sword at his side, though his hand shook as he stumbled to get it free of his scabbard.

"You're under arrest, for, uhh, for conspiracy! And, well, um, for what they were doing here last night that caused all those problems. Stand down in the name of Sir Windsteel! Or, no. Umm, for Lady Dreiana!" He held his blade out in front of him, the tip shaking.

It was pathetic to the point of farce. Whoever the guard was it was clear he hadn't been properly trained. His stance was horrible, made even worse when he took a step forward and it was clear he was limping. His eyes darting between the pair, not quite sure who to focus on. In the end he seemed to decide on Uruk, who he finally pointed his sword directly at. Though the terrified rattling of the blade in his hand was growing worse. Probably as he began to grasp exactly how unlikely it was that he would beat the two warriors in a fight, if it should come to it.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

To the best of her knowledge, Kate had never seen this woman before. But this moment had haunted her dreams ever since she'd left home. She'd always known that, sooner or later, home would catch up with her. Her sleeping (and waking) mind had explored so many possible permutations. Would it be a covert squad of operatives? An ambassador exerting diplomatic pressure? A close friend who could anticipate Kate's every move?

...Or maybe it'd just be some random woman in a market. Irrational as it was, Kate couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. All the more reason to escape. If Mother wanted her back, she'd have to work much harder than this! Kate whispered faux-casually to Nazir.

"I've been recognised. That woman is from my homeland. The good news is that no trained agent would be so conspicuous. But even if she's just a normal visitor, this is still very bad. We need to reach the authorities quickly."

And then what? Kate had no answers. Hopefully she'd think of one before it was too late.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Uruk sighed, another issue to deal with. "Sit, talk with us, we are friends. Or will I kill you with my hands now, in defense?" Urukubarr had taken off his armor and only had a jeweled dagger, but even that would not be necessary. He would rush down his prey and break him before he ever knew what to do with that blade. He cracked his neck slowly while approaching the man one slow step at a time, showing off his musculature to further intimidate the man. While his nails and teeth were not those of a full-blooded orc, they gave away his lineage, and he always loved using them for intimidation.

5. - Top - End - #725

"Not sure how her group has moved faster than us. She seems in no rush to intercept us so we can deal with her afterwards. Come on, we are almost there." Nazir keeps a sharp lookout ahead in case Kate's "friends" had more friends looking to cut the group off before making their delivery.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ruark felt a devil rise within him and the urge to bloody the guardsman's nose was strong. As the guardsman finally pointed his sword at Uruk, Ruark took a few steps to the side so that the guard would have to back away or turn around to face them both. "He's not joking you know. I've seen Uruk tear apart a dinner meal with such ferocity that I shudder to think what he would do fresh meat.I worry you have not been updated on the last meeting we had with Dreiana. We had a meeting just earlier today, perhaps you should go talk to her, and leave us alone in the process."

He struggled to be diplomatic, if he hadn't just been fighting for his life the night before Ruark wondered if he had been able to suppress the urge to fight the guardsman.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Nazir and Kate

"I don't understand" Shakchir said, looking confused as the three made their way through the city. "I had taken you for noble, or at least honorable, or are all of you as bad as barbarians and orc?"

From the markets on, the trio moved into a wider street as they made their way toward the town hall. The lady and her entourage growing further distant, but always in sight until at last they reached the majestic hall. The columns and statues were still arranged around the building looking as imposing as powerful as they had the day before. And yet the throng of people around the building somehow made the statues seem small. The path leading up to it was filled with a mixture of commoner, merchant, and noble, each shouting some grievance to take before the Council or the courts.

The guards tried to keep the peace, but there seemed to be an added edge today. Some were calling for Windsteel specifically, others Dreiana, and still more shouted for Councilman Kastor, demanding to know what happened to the deposed councilmembers from the night before. The guards held their weapons tightly as the angry rabble continued their shouts and questions. Some guard captains were shouting back orders to the people, giving instructions or assurances that all would be revealed by the Council in due time.

Shakchir shook his head in sadness, as they made their way to the side entrance that Dreiana had lead them through the day before.

"Hold it," the guard at the entrance said as they reached the door. "This is the guard's entry, only. What business do you have?"

Ruark and Uruk

The lanky young guard looked at Uruk's pointed teeth and then to Ruark's steady walk to his side, he seemed to recognize what he was doing, separating and surrounding him so there was no way he could defend himself. But he seemed to have no idea what he was supposed to do about it. "I-I, I'm supposed to take notes about where the bodies were found. About the symbols and everything. I can't just abandon my post." But the seeds of unease and confusion were planted, and already his voice was unsure about himself. As he talked his blade lowered, no longer pointed at Uruk's face, more half at his thigh or the ground.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate's response to Shakchiir dripped with contempt.

"I am honourable. That's exactly why I'm being hunted. My superiors asked me to renounce every principle I hold dear, for the sake of the 'greater good'. So naturally, I renounced my superiors instead. That's what good people are supposed to do."

She didn't bother to spell out the obvious parallel here. Enough breath had already been wasted on this man. Upon reaching the town hall, Kate was greeted by quite a sight. The people of this city were out in force. Their demanding cries were music to her ears. The Council's wretched conspiracy was being dragged into the light of day. What new lie would they tell the masses this time? Kate hoped that, in the end, the guilty would get their just desserts. However, she did feel sorry for the guards here. Most of them didn't deserve the crowd's abuse. They were just caught in the middle of this mess. So when the trio got challenged at the door, Kate responded politely.

"We're delivering a prisoner on behalf of Councilman Unaric."
    Last edited by Anyr; 2017-05-23 at 04:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #729

Nazir stops with the other two while Kate rebukes Shakchir. He continued when she finished, face to face with a frustrated stare, most probably the closest the merchant had ever been to a halfling.

"Not honorable? We're holding to our word to deliver you and keeping others from simply killing you even though you tried to have us killed. I seem to be the only person left looking for a way to get you back to your family. The last thing you should be doing is flustering me. Your life hinges on that. I am going to do my best but false accusations aren't going to help. In terms of those following us, I said nothing of killing them. One issue at a time." With his periphery vision Nazir sees the trailing group catching up. He sighs, trying to release the frustration. "Let's go."

Reaching the ruckus at the town hall, Nazir grips Shakchir's arm as a show to the guards of who is in control. He defers to Kate to getting them inside.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

OOC: Sorry for the delay, Memorial Day stuff got in my way.

Kate and Nazir

"No, that- that's not what I meant, it just seemed like you were saying that you were a wanted criminal in your homeland," the merchant looked down and took a breath, before looking to Nazir. "Thank you, for what you're doing for me."

When they reach the guard, and Kate announces their intention. The guard looked down upon all of them, for a moment before he nodded. "Follow me, but stay close, it's chaos in here."

As they enter the Hall, the guard gets the attention of another to stand guard in his place while he leads them through the building. Everywhere people were rushing through the building. "It's normally not like this," the guard mentioned. "But, we lost our commander today. And I don't think anyone really knows who's commanding what now. Apparently, we're supposed to be directing things to Commander Dreiana ir Nashran. But I know Dreiana, yesterday she was a gate captain. I don't know what she had to do to get promoted all the way to-" the guard cut himself off. "You don't need to know all this. It's a bit messy in here, that's all."

The guard was silently as he lead the group through an upper floor, though they had to squeeze through some group of guards and civilians who were arguing over some agreement they had with a Councilmember. Finally they reached a corridor where everyone was rushing to and from a room, in what seemed an organized manner. The guard pushed them through the line of men outside the room and knocked on the door.

"These people are here to see you, Councilman," the guard announced as the door was opened. Another guard stood within, the room was not much larger than Commander Windsteel's had been, but it seemed more full. Unaric sat behind a grand desk, filled with papers and a tray of food. A group of scraggly looking men stood in front of the desk. He waved the group off before he addressed Kate with a friendly.

"Ahh, Lady Katherine, a pleasure, and I see you have our guest as promised. Already, you and your men are proving your exceptional worth."

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate relaxed a bit upon crossing the threshold. In here, she'd be afforded some safety from her new stalker. Hopefully she and Nazir would have a plan by the time they left the building. She certainly wouldn't be asking Unaric for help on that score. His morality was (to put it mildly) still in doubt; As was Dreiana's. Kate really wanted to trust that woman. The two of them seemed very compatible. But there were just too many questions swirling around her. As the guard said, why would someone assigned to gate duty be next in line for the rank of Watch Commander? None of the likeliest explanations were good. And then there was that business in the tavern. Until her doubts were assuaged, Kate would be keeping their relationship casual. Pleasant chats over tea? Yes please. Seeking asylum from a bounty hunting noble? Not so much.

Soon enough, the group was standing before Unaric. Kate gave him the customary bow of greeting. Just like before, the councilman bestowed her team with compliments. He seemed really eager to get them on his side. Though judging by the chaos surrounding this building, that wasn't a surprise. Unaric's perch was clearly wobbling at the moment. He needed all the allies he could get. Kate wondered whether it was better to stabilise this man, for the sake of avoiding anarchy; Or give the push that sent him crashing down.

"I'm glad that you feel that way, councilman. We certainly hope to be of use to this city and its people. Will that be all?"

That was Nazir's cue. Now he could plead for Shakchiir's miserable life, while making it clear that only he was pleading. Then they could get back to more important matters: Like preventing a truly horrific family reunion.

12. - Top - End - #732

Nazir steps forward after Kate responds to Unaric. He knows Unaric's time is precious but realizes he can't rush his words. He speaks sincerely and respectfully, as is proper, to his best ability.

"Councilman Unariask, when you met with us at the tavern with Lord Kastor you stated you value loyalty and valor and rewarded us for it. We are honored with such acknowledgement. "

"I personally would speak for Shakchir here, the merchant caught in the midst of the conspiracy. Yes, he did try to have us killed and ran the operation at his warehouse. He does not deny this. What I am not sure if you have considered, councilman, is that he did what he did under the orders of several other councilmen. How was Shakchir to know that the words of councilmen who normally don't get along were not the words of the entire council? That would be the same as Lady Kate and I distrusting that your and Lord Kastor's words do not agree with the rest of the council. That would be unreasonable to require the entire council together for any and all business."

"Shakchir believed it to be the word of the council and even though he knew his two predicessors were driven insane from the assignent, he did his duty to the best of his ability. The knights of Vigilant Guardian stated that Shakchir had resisted the orders but was not given a choice. He risked his business, his life, turning his wife to a widow, making his son fatherless, and his very own soul to do what he was told was the best thing to protect the city for now. What more loyalty could you ask of a citizen of the city? Even now facing the knight's justice Shakchir's heart is only two thoughts- his family in Kerraq and doing what he can to help the city survive the coming threats. He has spoken at length telling us what he knows of the Dark Ones and has freely titled us to his warehouse so that we can continue the fight against the Dark Ones. He has made no attempt to escape or hinder us bringing him here."

"He has done evil in the name of good and regrets that. I think that is something he will always suffer with. This man's loyaly to the city should be rewarded, not punished. I understand his work can't and won't be made public. There is another option. Compensate him for his service, loyalty, and sarifice then either let him stay, stating he was a victim of the traitors, or send him on his way back to Kerraq and his family."

"I respectfully ask that you reconsider leaving this man behind to face rotting in jail or execution."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Unaric sat with his many chins held in his hands while Nazir gave his speech.

"Eloquent," he finally said as he finished. "I am curious what exactly it was that Shakchir did to create such loyalty from a man with no reason but to hate him. Or perhaps you see a reflection of your own sins in him?" He smiled, "I must commend you Lady Katherine, the companions you keep are as intriguing as they are skilled."

He stood up, the chair creaking as he moved. "But, let's dissect the argument. While it's true a councilman was the one who gave him his orders, it's very well known that the council itself is full of bickering old men. Each of which with their own desires and goals."

Unaric walked before the prisoner and patted Shakchir on the shoulder. "Which leaves the question, who is Shakchir loyal to? Was it our glorious city? Or was it one of my enemies?"

Shakchir eyes widened as he saw his chance. He fell to his knees, trembling. "Zhengar! I have always been loyal to Zhengar!" He grasped Unaric's hands. "Please, mercy."

Unaric pulled his hands away and walked back behind his desk. "Of course, you say that now. But words are just air. Guards, take him away."

The guard grabbed Shakchir under his arms and yanked him to his feet, dragging him out the room, while the merchant made a few choking sobs.

"Ahh," Unaric sighed as he sat back down, and looked to Nazir. "Unfortunately, what to do with him is not solely up to me. Though my word carries weight with the remaining council. I'll promise you this. I won't execute him until I have all the information I can get from him. And then, the council will decide if Shakchir is worth being rewarded or deserves the noose. Is there anything else?"
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-06-23 at 11:26 PM.

14. - Top - End - #734

Nazir razed a curious eyebrow. Being a halfling was a topic his mother spoke to him about in depth over the years to prepare him. The halfling kept his calm but spoke with more self confidence. "My sins? No, councilman Unaric. The torture of my life is from those who hate or fear me just from my mother being something other than human. You are a welcome exception to that, as was the late Capatin Aldarman. He took me under his wing, became my mentor. He knew I have good heart. It was Sinkrin that became the problem. He encouraged the rest of the unit to torture me. I lost my calm one day and put the fear of death into one of them, without touching or hurting him. That led to trumped up charges and my situation."

"As for Shakchir, it was the Vigilant Guardian's own findings that he was acting under orders after resisting that opened my mind the most. If following council's orders can still get you executed as a traitor, then one has to wonder how soon before the same may happen to themselves? I never said he was a saint, nor is most of the city. You have dealings with those far worse. On the way here we saw two religious groups on the edge of coming to bloodshed. Shakchir could have easily slipped away on us but there he is. You have kept true to your word, and we ours. Thank you. Sorry to tie up so much of your time."

Nazir looked to Kate, ready to go.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

Unaric listened to Nazir's words with expression of polite interest, but as soon as Nazir got to the religious groups and upcoming bloodshed, Kate noticed a strange spark in his eyes - and noticed the corners of his lips move just a bit.

The fat man was smiling inside.

As soon as Nazir finished, Unaric again stood up.

"Thank you for your words - but allow me to reply to them before you leave." his voice was stern, but his demeanor friendly - and the spark was still there. "I do not doubt your heart, but in this city, we try to solve our problems the right way - the way of law. You have been wronged - and if you came to me, I would use all my power to act on your behalf. But you did not come - you responded with violence. And that is not what you should have done - but you have already paid the price for that."

"What I want you to understand is, that Shakchir had a choice. And he made his choice. And according to our law, he will be tried and if found guilty, punished. But if I ever order you to do something that may hurt this city, or that will break its laws, feel free to refuse - or bring me to justice. I expect no less from you, master Nazir. Or you, Lady Katherine. And that is all I can say to this matter."

He finally smiled, not only with his eyes. "But I owe you an thank you also for bringing me the news of the religious schism in our city. I was so swamped with my tasks that I forgot it was already fourth Quintus of this month. Also, did you already think about the offer we presented? Becoming a mercenary band in employ of Zhengar...? Or even sworn swords...?"

The smile was gone, but the spark remained.

"I am asking because there are tasks that need to be done. And - if you choose to accept the offer - you will have to start immediately. You have the two scrolls - I assume. Will you choose and sign one of them? I do not know the arrangements within your group, but if my instinct does not err, it will be sufficient if you, Lady Katherine, sign one of them... and then I will ask you for a moment of solitary discussion regarding your... previous affiliations."

Show
    I'm back
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

There was that dissonance again. Unaric's words would have looked quite reasonable on paper. They had a good mix of pragmatism and moral principle. But Kate just couldn't reconcile them with the man himself. Her impression of him grew ever murkier. All of his talk about disobeying unethical orders was completely redundant. He was just telling Kate and Nazir to do what they would have done anyway. If they joined him, Unaric might well never give them an ethically questionable job: Because there were plenty of other subordinates willing to do those instead.

As the discussion progressed, Kate's mind drifted to other things. She really needed to deal with that woman who'd spotted her. Home just refused to-

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    "...and then I will ask you for a moment of solitary discussion regarding your... previous affiliations."
    ...leave her alone. Terrific. Kate just managed to keep her expression neutral. Despite her increasingly rapid heartbeat, she replied to Unaric with the same tone as usual.

"As I said at the inn, Councilman, your offer is being considered. A decision like this requires careful thought. Now, what was that you said about a private discussion? If you feel it necessary, I suppose that's all right. Nazir, would you please wait outside? This shouldn't take long."

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

Unaric's Office

Unaric stayed polite, even though it was clear that he was in a hurry to

"I appreciate that you do not rush into commitments, however I would appreciate to have your answer as soon as possible - some of the tasks I spoke about are quite urgent, and while I could use other assets... I have my reasons to give preference to you. It's also in your own interest..."

As soon as Nazir left, Unaric's demeanor changed again - this time it was almost fatherly fear, concealed behind façade of strict formality. He sat down, rummaged through some reports he had on his desk until he found one.

"Lady Katherine. I... try not to pry into anyone's affairs if I can help it, however if it is a concern for the city, it is a concern for me. I have been informed of certain movements and activities of some of our... valued allies. Two servants of a foreign merchant independently questioned several people I employ this morning regarding whereabouts, deeds and background of person with description matching yours, trying to determine - very skillfully - if such person is in employ of our city...and trying to ascertain if this person is Lady Katherine Sendrick."

He paused for a moment, looking at the report, not making eye contact.

"Luckily, the people I employ never give out any information without my assent or without trading it for more important information - and the persons that asked had nothing to offer. So whoever was asking did not receive what they were after. If you would like, I can tell you whose servants asked the questions, and - if you want, try to find out whom it was for. Your choice."

Again, another pause. After it, Unaric looked directly at Kate.

"My question is... Lady Katherine... should I be worried about this mystery that surrounds you? Is your past a threat for this city, since someone clearly powerful is intent on finding you? I do not want to pry in your past, and certainly do not intend to waste resources finding out. I will accept any answer you give me and you do not have to give it to me now. However, I would advise you to take one of the scrolls - and accept one of the tasks I talked about. All three of these will take you and your companions out of the city for some time - and will give me time to find out who is after you, what they want and maybe intervene in your favour. That much I am willing to do for you in exchange for your service."

As he finished, he stood up. "And now, please excuse me. Council business calls - there is an announcement to be made outside, and the rest of the councilmen are waiting for me. Have a nice day."

Town Hall

The town hall was still busy, and the shouting outside was now more pronounced. One of the servants that stood outside Unaric's door walked up to Nazir as soon as he left the door, and asked "May I be of any service? Councilman told me to show you to the rear exit if you do not indent on listening to the announcement or do not want to be seen leaving."

Show
    I assumed Nazir would have left. Please roll Perception.

Old Market

The small circle of silence widened when Gerric stated his threat. As he looked around, Gregor was nowhere to be seen - he wasn't standing next to him anymore, and he couldn't follow his movement in the crowd.

The burly man laughed nervously - he paled when Gerric shook the girl's arm and obviously was not ready for the whole setup to go so bad so quickly.

"Hey, hey... she meant no harm. Let the kid go. And let's forget about this..."

But there was no fire in his voice anymore - the man had no fight in him.

Another voice joined in - a hoarse one, sounding still a bit tired. "No. Let's not forget. Your kids steal. So either the mountain man cuts off her hand, the boy's hand... or yours. Or settle this with old-fashioned trial by fight - haven't seen one of those in a while. That will be fun."

"I second the motion..." That was Gregor, appearing right behind the scarred man, who went even paler and suddenly had an urge to straighten up quite unnaturally...

As Gerric glanced to the left, he noticed Windsteel standing there with a smirk on his face.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2017-06-28 at 01:07 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Gerric tapped his axe on the side of his head toward Windsteel in a mock salute, before quickly glancing around for the boy that he had just mentioned. "Didn't know yer lot had a good ol' champion trial, but I'm more than happy to oblige, if he is. What say ya? Yer maul, my axe, and a big cup o' beer after I kill ya. Or, you and yer boys can put them weapons on the ground and back away. Then maybe, yer girl can get out o' this with all her limbs and a father who still draws breath."
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-06-28 at 08:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Old Market

Windsteel did smirk a bit. "The council does not look upon the trial by arms favourably... but I could use the entertainment."

The girl had tears in her eyes and just sobbed silently. The scarred man did not move, but said in shaky voice. "Drop'em boys."

Three cudgels hit the ground in rapid succession.

"Now get lost before I decide to tell this mountain man where you and your brats live. And consider it a warning for future.". As they scrambled from the market, Windsteel glanced at Gerric. "Well... can't say you don't know how to make friends, that much's obvious. Where are you headed?"

20. - Top - End - #740

Nazir nods and steps out of the councilman's office. His eyes casually scan the hall while his ears keep a lookout for unexpected noise back in the office. He responds politely to the servant. "Thank you, but not just yet. My friend is still in there. What announcement?"

Show
    From OOC
    Perception (7d10)[4][6][6][2][8][2][1](29)
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Still holding onto the girls arm, Gerric whispered. "Yer father's a fool and a coward, usin' his own daughter as a distraction. Never try t' steal from someone carryin' weapons. And if, for some reason, ya have to, don't stand still lookin' dumb when he catches ya, just run. Yer next mark won't be as sweet as me." With that he shoved her toward her father, and the group scrambled away.

Gerric tucked his axe back into his belt. Walked forward and picked up the three dropped cudgels, putting them into the box. Though now he was keeping his coin purse in his hand, not dangling for someone to grab.

"O' course I make friends easy. I'm what you folk would call charismatic." Gerric looked around the market. "I suppose I'm tryin' to find here. Got this box o' half-shaped weapons and I'm tryin' to find a good weaponsmith for the finishin' touches. What brings you 'round the weapons market? Already itchin' to stab something not an hour after retirement?"
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-06-28 at 04:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Town Hall
    The servant politely nodded. "Very well, if you need me, just wave. I will be standing there." When Nazir asked about the announcement, servant's eyes darted from side to side and he lowered his voice into conspiratory whisper. "Oh, the big announcement. Secret. About council and war. You did not discuss that with master Unaric...? But don't tell anyone - it's still secret."

As the servant spoke, Nazir noticed several men - clad in simple blue tunics, embroided with intricate pattern. They were loitering near the entrance of the town hall, seemingly occupied by the statues and paintings - but every time he looked at one of them, he turned away. This was nothing special - Nazir was used to people watching him, as halflings weren't usual sight even in such large city, but something did not fit.

By the corner of his eye he also noticed Dreiana leaving the office she brought them into when they first came - Windsteel's former office - she looked tired and did not notice him as she walked towards the front entrance.

Old Market

Windsteel cringed at Gerric's pronounciation of "charismatic", but replied with humor in his voice. "I’ve been itching to stab someone for few last years, but my position did not allow it. Damn politics." He patted his round belly. “Could use some practice – if what I heard is true, we’re all in for some serious fighting.

He went silent for a moment, but then looked around and smiled again. “Don’t be deceived – old market is more than weapons. You can buy almost anything - including weapons - here, but I’m not here for them. There are lots of interesting goods one can obtain. And I must confess – I lived nearby for years and – I’m a bit ashamed to admit, but got addicted.

He motioned Gerric to follow him as he rounded a corner. A dark-skinned man in white apron was just taking something out of large oven. It was brown, little bit slimy, and resembled a large snail, but it smelled sweet.

Every day, since few years, I came here for the kallaian snails. Don’t know how Raim makes them, but they are too tasty. Here, let me buy you one.” He motioned to the seller, who immediately separated two of these. Gerric noticed Windsteel paid few coppers for the treats.

Now where were we…? Oh, yes. Weaponsmith. If you need a weaponsmith, there are better choices than old market – but also more pricy. Old Hawle, near the New Market is one of the best, but you’ll have to wait – he’s swamped with orders and refuses to find an apprentice. Then there’s the guild – they have good weaponsmiths and bad ones, and you can’t really tell which one you get until you try the stuff out. Check at their stall in New Market. Or you could visit Sahala – she’s quite good with steel. Pricy also, but isn’t too busy. If you want, I can lead you there – I don’t have much to do now.

He walked alongside Gerric for a moment and then suddenly stopped, looking straight into Gerric’s eyes. “I want to ask you something, Gerric." That was the first time he used Gerric's name. "You have fought alongside Euric. Do you think my city can survive against him?

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ettin in the Playground

Within the privacy of Kate's mind, some decidedly impolite words were being shouted. Oh how she wished they could be given voice. But no, she was the party's diplomat: The one who knew which spoon to use for each type of soup. When everyone else was yelling expletives, Kate had to retain her composure: No matter how satisfying it would be to join the fray. So instead of giving Unaric the tongue-lashing he so richly deserved, Kate just smiled softly.

"Hmm, intriguing. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I assure you, Councilman, that my past is no threat to your city. The people you mentioned are only interested in me. As for your kind offer, my comrades and I will give it our most urgent attention. You'll have our answer very soon."

Oh dear. Kate could already feel the leash tightening around her neck. Unaric had found an excellent source of leverage. She only had two options now: Serve, or run. The young noble stood up along with Unaric. Once he'd left, she made her way back to the hallway where Nazir waited.

"We need to meet with the others; Now. This can't wait."

24. - Top - End - #744

Nazir nods in understanding to the servant. He takes note of the tunics worn by those watching him, and without making it overtly obvious tries to get a look at their faces to remember them, and to notice if one seemed to be in charge.

Kate comes out of the office and wants to leave immediately. He knows it won't be welcome news since it will distract from her current focus but she needs to know. He steps closer and quickly whispers just loud enough for only her to hear over the hall's noise. "Dreiana just came out of her office and went out the front. Did Unaric tell you about the announcement? It's about war. Oh, and I have my own followers now it seems, blue tunics over by the paintings. The servant behind me has orders to help us out the back entrance if we want less attention. Are we staying for the announcement?"

Show
    MA/Heraldry to ID the tunics (5d10)[2][4][6][1][7](20) TN 8
    Perception to glean anymore about them (7d10)[4][2][10][7][5][3][9](40)
    Show

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

"Take me to Sahala then, if I'm lucky I might get a good axe finished before I actually need it."

Gerric was quiet for a moment, as he munched on the slimy snail thing that Windsteel had offered. The confirmation that Windsteel knew who he was wasn't a surprise, and it was somehow refreshing to stop pretending to people. "Last time I marched south without Euric. I was able to capture one city and burn another to the ground. It took a combined force to finally drive me off. Euric is more clever than I have ever been. Maybe not as adept at actually commandin' a battlefield, but he's patient. He knows to attack sideways, if you take my meanin'." Gerric shrugged, and tried to go over everything he had seen and heard since he'd been in this stinking city. It did not look good.

"From what I've seen o' this place, I ain't impressed. Yer own soldiers tormented the best archer I ever saw and pushed him away, who knows who else got treated similar. There are knights, and they'd be trouble, but how many do you have in this one city? Yer guards get cut up by some dandy, who may be workin' for Unaric. Which brings up the important matter, Euric will find the weak thread and pull it. If someone in your council can be bribed he will find and bribe them. If there is any tension he can exploit he will exploit it, say perhaps, from the families o' those council members that just stepped down. Who see their position gettin' worse unexpectedly. And when the city is tearing itself apart he'll step in bringin' peace in one hand, and chains in the other. There will be a battle, no doubt, but he usually tries to win before the first catapult is ever even constructed. There are ways to defend against all o' this. But it requires power, complete authority. And you just gave up yer position. And I don't think anyone is goin' to hand me a throne anytime soon. Maybe Kate, but I don't think she has the stomach for this work. But that girl has surprised me before."
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-06-29 at 10:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Problems upon problems. Kate had been worried enough about shaking one pursuer. Now Nazir had picked up a few more. She glanced across at her comrade's new admirers. Minions of Sinkrin, perhaps? Regardless, they were a distraction she really didn't need right now. She whispered a reply to Nazir.

"Let's try slipping out the back way. If we time it right, perhaps your observers will be distracted by the announcement."

Kate would linger in the hallway, until a suitable distraction appeared. She could only afford to wait so long, though. Should the men in tunics prove too diligent, then Kate and Nazir would just have to lose them at some other point on the journey.

27. - Top - End - #747

"Actually, they won't start a fight right here in the town hall. I could go say hello and find out their intent right now. Better to find out while we can. Won't take long?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

"...If you like. I suppose there's nothing much to lose."

Kate doubted that the attempt would go well. But as Nazir said, the men couldn't make a scene in this public place.

29. - Top - End - #749

Nazir times it so that his first movement is hidden by a passing group. He heads off to the right instead of heading directly towards the entrance where his "followers" waited. He checks his dagger that was sheathed behind him along his belt. He didn't intend to use it but it was an instinctive act going into the unknown.

Off to the side, he slows so the group he was using as cover passes by. The halfling eyes were already looking in the direction of the blue tunics to gauge their reaction to their quarry disappearing briefly. With his hands to his sides but obviously empty he approached the closest blue tunic casually.

"Hello there. Excuse me, that is an interesting design on your tunic. What group is it for?"

Show
    Perception on their reaction to me (7d10)[9][8][1][3][1][1][3](26) TN ?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

Streets behind Old Market

Windsteel obviously weighed his words as he walked, not responding immediately. The snail thing was surprisingly tasty, sweet, but its bitter undertone made the sweetness sufferable. And it was quite filling. They rounded few corners, passed a communal well and walked through one of the wider streets before he replied.

"We have good mercenary units on our side - Euric can't pay them so much as we can, and they spend most time outside the city, so they are not so corrupt as our army officials. We have the knights, and each lord can amass something equal to small army if they decide to. The army... well, half of it is useless - corrupt, fat, lazy. The other half... you'll find very efficient. That part also spends time on tasks outside city walls - to keep them away from the corruption. Our advantages are only few. One - we will be warned once Euric moves. By the sea or through the mountains - we will be warned. Two - we still have some allies we can call on - not really friends, but people who don't want to be the next Euric conquers. And three... we have some time. At least until summer - if Euric wants to lay siege to this city, it will take him at least two or three months to get here."

It seemed he was talking more to himself, than to Gerric. They were crossing one of the widest streets, one of the main streets - in distance, Gerric could see the town hall, with its signature sundial, and a large crowd amassed in front of it.

"What you said about Euric makes sense. We can see fruits of his labor even now." He motioned towards the crowd in front of the town hall. "And I agree - the city needs a leader. But it ain't me. I still have some contacts in the military, even some political ones - but I also have made some enemies and while people respect me, they wouldn't follow me. I can still do some good, but I'm not the one. And not you either - you're smart, you can lead warriors to battle. But - and no offence - you couldn't inspire **** to smell, and this will require the leader to inspire the people to fight back."

The street they were walking through was winding, narrow. They passed kids, playing catch. Handcarts full of goods. They saw a cobbler get hit by a bucket full of dishwater. Duo of guardsmen passed them, saluting to the former commander, ignoring Gerric.

"I gave up my position, because I feel I can do more with sword in my hands. I used to be in the army. Master of arms, even - I trained the younglings. In the guard? I only commanded the guard - and their hands were bound by politicians. Man grows tired of that. Oh, we are almost here - the craftsman street. It's one of the longest streets in the city, and is unofficially considered the craftsman ward - most people who have a shop and are not members of the guilds, have it here."

Small shops lined the street, their goods displayed in windows, on tables. Leather boots, belts. Iron and steel buckles. Tools of all kinds. A man repairing an old boot, sitting in front of his shop, smiling a toothless smile. A lady trying out heavy cloak. The street was bending to the left so Gerric could not see its end, and the more they went, the more intriguing the wares were.

Even in the sidestreets he could see boardsigns of shops - smithy, with its obvious hammer and horseshoe, tailor's shop marked with buttons and needle, some kind of animal shop or something, which had a dog and arrow as its sign. An alchemist with the strange glass stuff.

Silverware. Jewelry store. Pawn shop.

Glove maker. Leatherworker. Soapmaker.

And finally, a shop with weapon rack on the outside, full of halberds. A tall, muscular woman of olive skin and tough black hair could be seen inside, working on something.

"We're here and that brings us to the last question. What would you advise to do?"

Once Gerric answered, Windsteel would knock on the door, wave to the woman and send Gerric in.

Show
    Feel free to converse or skip to the shop - Windsteel will listen. If you want to pry some more information from him, you'll have to roll though. You may ignore the "ugly" flaw and halve the "bad reputation" flaw.

Town Hall

Kate watched as Nazir walked towards the men. The clothes they wore were of local cut, at least from what she observed until now, but the intricate embroidery reminded her of something. It took some time, but she remembered - these designs were used by different groups in government of her country, to identify the position and power of the bearer.

She wanted to stop Nazir, but he was already close to the men. He walked as a hunter, hiding from his prey, and suddenly stopped in front of one of the men. She couldn't hear what they said, but she noticed that Nazir had to lean in to hear the man. That also reminded her of something...

Show
    ...and she remembered her mother meeting some of these men and scolding one of her adjutants that leaned in to listen, saying that they just did the most dangerous thing they could have done - and saying that if she ever saw them doing it again, she would gut them herself...

...the adjutant being her lover made the whole thing memorable...

...but it did not seem that they want to harm Nazir. For some reason, they both were now smiling...

Spoiler: OOC Kate
    Show
    Heraldry: (3d10)[9][6][8](23) TN 6
    Memory: (3d10)[3][7][10](20) TN 8

If you have objection against the lover part, I can change it to cousin. Or switch "they" for "he/she" for that matter - that should be your decision.

The man turned to him and immediately smiled - he at first seemed surprised, but his smile seemed sincere as did his words. He spoke very silently, so much that Nazir - with his elven hearing - had to lean forward a bit to understand.

"Oh, good day to you, sir. And thank you, it is not a marking of a group - me and my brothers have seen this beautiful design and decided to buy these tunics at the market. Since you noticed them, they may hopefully bring us some luck in getting a job here. Tell me, are you one of the officials here...? Can you, maybe... put a good word for us?"

The last words were accompanied by a shy, nervous smile. For the first moment, Nazir could not help himself, but to smile too.

Spoiler: OOC Nazir
    Show
    Persuasion: (3d10)[5][4][6](15) TN 10
    Last edited by Lacco; 2017-06-30 at 01:56 AM.