New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

While Kate waited for Urukubarr to finish, she picked up the key and opened the strongbox. Might as well see what was in there. Once the kitchen was free of shirtless ritualists, however, she rushed in to get some soup. She was starving. Kate would also fetch a helping for anyone else who wanted one. The others probably wouldn't appreciate the full meaning of that gesture. Where she came from, serving food to someone else was a sign of great deference.

She devoured the meal with gusto. Just about anything would taste good right now. Meanwhile, the room became increasingly crowded. She looked around at all her comrades (minus Kafar), gathered together in one place. This was a good opportunity. Nazir, thinking along the same lines, had already started discussing strategy. Good man. But first, there was an important issue they all needed to settle. Wiping some leftover soup from her mouth, Kate got everyone's attention.

"Before we go any further, there's something we need to discuss: Choosing a leader. Everyone here is an experienced fighter, who can work alone if the need arises. But none of us are alone any more; And hopefully, we never will be again. This is a gathering of equals, who've vowed to fight and live side by side. None of us stand above the other...

...But as we all know, battles don't work like that. In the heat of combat, there's no time to hold a vote and discuss things as equals. Someone needs to be in charge. So, let's settle the question while we still have time: Who leads this group?
    "

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I think you did a fine job back there Kate, as short an affair as it was. Of course I only heard what the others said about what happened downstairs in the cellar. I'll say you should do the job, until someone else decides he could do a better job. I know I couldn't"

Speaking in between mouthfuls of soup Ruark managed to comment as best he could, "According to the boy at least two of them will have a bow of some sort. You'll be taking a risk being up there if they spot you, but it's worth taking Nazir." He slurped in a soggy bit of fish and got soup running down his beard, though he either didn't notice or didn't care.

"I'll explore the rest of the passage when I'm done eating. Everyone looks like you're doing a good job barricading things up here though. I think we'll do fine when they come, I am not worried. Of course, I already know when I will die and it's not here. I can't say the same for any of you." Urrukubarr knew what Ruark was referring to, a vision Ruark had recieved while high or drunk out of his mind before they were chased out of their homeland. He had refused to say exactly what the vision entailed, but that it involved Ruark's death he knew. To everyone else it sounded like Savaxen superstition.

Ruark wiped away the spilled soup with his sleeve and went to clean out the bowl he had been out of with some water. Then he grabbed his weapon and shield and went down into the cellar once more, intending to check out the rest of the passage. He would walk through it until he found out where it came out.
    Last edited by Mathis; 2016-03-29 at 11:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nazir smiles. "If they are human they'll be focused more on where they step. If they are using torches that will kill their night sight. With the rain and darkness on top of that it would be quite the feat to see me at all, especially before I see them. A small risk, well worth keeping us all alive and catching our prey unaware."

"Kate, you've taken charge when needed. That's a good thing. I'd rather gather the information and come up with the options."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Gerric started fixing up the entrances as best he could with what he found, as he overheard the others talking.

"If it's just the battles, I'll put my name forward to lead. I've led raids and fights for most of my life. But I want it known, I mean just the battles. If we are pickin' a leader for all things, such as where we go, who we make deals with, and that sort of nonsense, I want no part in it. Things tend to get bloody when I do that, and I don't have the temperament for dealin' with your southern customs. That should be Kate." Then Gerric stopped for a moment as if realizing something and then shrugged. "Even if technically she did just lead us straight into this mess, she's still our best bet on that account, I figure."

As he grabbed a bowl of the soup he continued to talk while he ate. "If we can, it'd be a decent idea if we can get a bit more information from our captive. Like where they usually enter from, the front door or that passage you find. We also might like to find why he's still alive. He told us that when they were short they killed those they hired. Makes me wonder why they didn't gut him. He's just a boy, not much use to him. If he's related to Mad Dog or somethin' we could be able to use that to our advantage. Mmm, good soup by the by."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Agility check to fix the locations, I think you said each success is one location. I'm going with the door first, then the windows, if I get multiple successes.

AG: (7d10)[7][3][1][6][10][5][3](35)
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-03-29 at 01:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Completing the ritual, his conciousness slammed back into his body. He breathed hard, processing all that had happened. After cleaning up and retrieving his belongings, Urukubarr checked the stew. It had to be done by now.

Pleased and more relaxed than he'd been since the journey started, Urukubarr served bowls of fish stew to everyone. The compliments on the food had Urukubarr smiling widely, displaying his large jutting teeth "Gratitude!! I try to make best." The compliments on his food combined with the fact that he'd just completed the ritual put Urukubarr in a jolly mood. He poured wine or water for those with empty cups. In the past, Urukubarr would gladly work for his food, drink, and bed at local inns and the like. People would come in just to be served by the massive half-orc. With a properly stocked kitchen, Urukubarr could work wonders.

Completing the ritual meant a lot to him. He had felt distanced from his druidic roots before now. Now that it was over, his path was clear. Blood would answer blood, there was no other way.
    "Great spirits favor us, we must spill blood of Mad Dog and his ilk. It is demanded of me, of we great hunters. The boy, he must pay too... After he help us."
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-03-29 at 07:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Gerric

The soup was indeed tasty and Gerric wondered for a moment how would a proper meal taste when prepared by Urukubarr. He enjoyed the talking around the table - it was like the old times, before a raid. Except here he didn't have to watch his mouth or back so much.

And didn't have to smell the soup for poison or drugs, he thought, his face gloomy for a moment. There was always someone who wanted to get his bounty. And while they never succeeded, it felt...almost nice to know he was safe for this moment. But only for this moment.

Kate opened the strongbox - the key Urukubarr found somewhere fit the lock. As she opened it, Gerric saw the gleam of gold, glint of silver and the faint glow that reflected from copper. He leaned over to see better. The box was almost full - the large golden ring with some inscription caught his attention first, but there was also thin silver chain, three copper rings, two copper bracelets, a brass pendant with image of eagle and a small book bound in red leather at the bottom. Finally some good loot was added to the loot pile. He expected to earn a good part of it during next few hours or days.

As he finished his soup and cup, he went back to work. Urukubarr brought him another cup - and he appreciated it with a nod, while hammering the nails into the wooden planks. He wanted to be finished as soon as possible. And in half hour he succeeded in completely barring the front door and one of the windows - and he still had a handful of nails and quite enough wood. He did not sweat much during this work, but he felt his arms slow down a bit - it was a long day.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Three successes, the door is barred basically, the window completely (it was boarded up from the outside already). Want to continue?

Nazir

Nazir's mind raced through possibilities, so he almost did not notice his cup got a refill from the friendly half-orc. But the stew was tasty and the wine warmed him from the inside and soon he finished both. In the meantime, Kate managed to open the strongbox - the key was in the pile of loot. He glanced inside and saw a large golden signet ring, a thin silver chain, three copper rings, two copper bracelets, a brass pendant with image of eagle and a small book bound in red leather at the bottom. These were added to the loot pile.

As he was getting the last few spoonfuls from his bowl, he watched Gerric stand up, walk to the destroyed table and prepare to board-up the door. On the other side of the table, Ruark stood up, taking his weapon and shield, walking towards his backpack to retrieve a torch - readying to explore what lies behind the grotto.

They had to secure the inn now that they decided to stay. And he was the scout - so he had to use mostly his eyes. He knew that if he tires himself too much, he will be useless, but he longed for some activity...

Show
    Gerric started barricading door. Most windows on the lower floor are already boarded-up, so it's either going upstairs and climbing out of window, going outside before Gerric boards-up the door or finding a third option (e.g. remove some of the boards on one of the windows) if you want to get to the roof.
    If you want to go downstairs to check the other side, it's completely irrelevant at the moment.
    Just let me know which plan is valid for now.

Urukubarr

The stew was both filling and tasty. Urukubarr enjoyed the good mood that set up on the company at the table and wanted to enjoy it - but the hunter called to him. If the hunt was successful, they could feast all they wanted - but it wasn't over.

Kate somehow managed to open the strongbox - Urukubarr glanced curiously inside and saw a large golden ring, a thin silver chain, three copper rings, two copper bracelets, a brass pendant with image of eagle and a small book bound in red leather at the bottom. Kate added those to the loot pile.

He watched Gerric stand up, walk to the destroyed table and prepare to board-up the door - he filled his cup and brought it to him, as a friendly gesture - Gerric showed his appreciation with a nod, focused on his work. On the other side of the table, Ruark stood up, taking his weapon and shield, walking towards his backpack to retrieve one of his torches - readying to explore what lies behind the grotto.

Nazir was also looking like he was deciding whether to get on the roof now or later.

Show
    Urukubarr will need either scrounging (a.k.a. improvised cooking) or craft (gourmet cook) skill soon .

One point - it seems you forgot to cast the vote for the leader. If it was deliberate, no problem, but if you just forgot, there is still time and I think Anyr will appreciate if it's all stated.

Also, since you succeeded in first two rolls, you get +1 to Faith SA.

Ruark

The stew was delicious and the wine tasty. Ruark listened to the others - the mood was almost pleasant, and the thought of his own death and the nightmare that showed him the death did slowly fade to the background. As he ate, Kate managed to open the strongbox - the key was in the pile of loot. He glanced inside and saw a large golden signet ring, a thin silver chain, three copper rings, two copper bracelets, a brass pendant with image of eagle and a small book bound in red leather at the bottom. These were added to the loot pile by Kate.

Gerric finished his meal before him, stood up and went back to the barricading. As Ruark finished, he stood up, rummaged in his backpack to take out one of his torches, and set it alight in the fireplace. It would provide him with light he needed. He then took his sword and shield, and descended to the cellar. The boy was still there, lying on his back, eyes closed. Ruark paid him no attention and entered the passage.

He approached the grotto cautiously, but it was still empty. He walked through it, to the passage behind the bear hide. His torch provided him enough light to see a cavernous passage, wide enough for one man comfortably, or two men cramped. The walls consisted of both stone and soil now, were full of growth - he saw some mushrooms, but also roots stick out of it. He carried on - and it seemed that the passage winded for more than fifty steps. The temperature fell and he smelled fresh air and water. At its end was a small cavern-like opening, which lead outside - to the darkness.

He peeked outside, but even with the torch he couldn't see far due to the rain - and while the storm had lost much of its strength, the wind still nearly managed to put his torch off. The lightning that struck allowed him to see only that he was in some kind of valley lined by rocky hills, which consisted of small meadow and few trees. He noticed an burned-out hearth nearby, as well as one of the trees near the cave entrance has been trimmed and few hooks for horses were attached to it to hold the horses. He looked above and saw the cliffside - it was steep, and even higher from this side. The valley was well-hidden and a good hiding place, because he saw only one crevice, which could be used by horses, at the far side, bit to the left.

Show
    I assumed Ruark will take the lantern from his backpack before going to the grotto. I don't know if you chose that one or 1d3 torches - let me know, so I can fix the narration afterwards.
    Roll for the torches please

Kate

The vote seemed unilateral - only Urukubarr did not cast his vote in directly, but his actions hinted that he would not take the lead and would not challenge her for command - his spiritual side, so recently discovered by her, indicated that he will be more of a moral support...and siege weapon, she thought with a soft smile, remembering the kick that shattered the door.

She also thought about giving more freedom or even partial command to Gerric due to his previous experience. Could he lead her companions in battle? Maybe, and time could show that easily.

As she opened the strongbox, her eyes widened a bit. It was crammed with jewelry - not the best one, not even coming close to the jewels that even the lowliest member of the court in her country wore, but still - she did not expect this at any rate.

Inside lay a large golden signet ring, as well as thin silver chain, three copper rings, two copper bracelets, a brass pendant with image of eagle and a small book bound in red leather at the bottom. She took each out, gave it a quick look to appraise its value and put it to the loot pile. The signet ring was inscribed with bear holding a fish - her heraldry classes paid off, as she remembered that this sigil belonged to the house Virin of Caer Darnell - a rich house, which specialized in shipping of merchandise. The copper rings were mostly worthless - only simple copper bands. She estimated their value at best at 6 coppers each, give or take. The copper bracelets were different - they were paired and each had a picture of snake devouring its own tail inscribed on it. These would be worth at least one silver grosch. The silver chain was simple, but seemed to be made of pure silver, which would put its price at around 2 silver groschen if they found a fair merchant. The brass pendant showed nice workmanship, but otherwise it wasn't very valuable. The book...

She opened the book and found that it contained verses, however done by someone with shaky handwriting. Delighted at first, she read few and found out that it was a private collection of bawdy verses, and not only the penmanship was shaky - the verses were badly done, although some of them had some entertainment value.

Putting the book and other things to the pile, she was happy that they found something of value, on the other hand she was afraid that when it came to loot distribution, she would have to try to assess who deserves what. And that was always a hard task to do.

As the meal was finished, she watched Gerric stand up, walk to the destroyed table and prepare to board-up the door - Urukubarr filled his cup and brought it to him, as a friendly gesture - Gerric showed his appreciation with a nod, focused on his work. On the other side of the table, Ruark stood up, taking his weapon and shield, walking towards his backpack to retrieve his torch- readying to explore what lies behind the grotto. Nazir sat at the table, still lost in his thoughts - and she knew he was thinking whether the roof was a viable option or if he should scout the other side of the passage.

Now that she was voted a leader, she knew she had the final word - however, she had to consider their own strengths and weaknesses, and motivation. It was going to be a long night.

Show
    MA/Heraldry to recognize the signet: (3d10)[1][9][6](16) TN 6 = 2 successes
    MA/Appraisal to assess the value: (3d10)[9][10][2](21) TN 8 = 2 successes
    Good rolls . Edited in the text above.

Spoiler: Party OOC
    Show
    Ruark is going to explore the passage behind the grotto, Gerric is barricading the door & windows in the main room. I will need the actions of the others.

The stomachs full, you will now feel the consequence of the hard day you have behind you.
    Roll EN at TN 6 - if you succeed, you can still continue without penalties. If you fail, you get 1 point of fatigue, fumbles mean 2 points.
    For the rest of the evening - each hour of "hard work" will require this roll. Each consecutive hour (without any rest) will give you +1 to roll difficulty, which means that if you work for 3 hours without rest, you get to roll EN at TN 6 and first 2 successes are ignored.

Each half hour of rest will give you opportunity to roll EN/TN6 - each success removes one point of fatigue. Resting means relaxing, doing tasks that are not physically or mentally tiring (e.g. playing games, reading something for fun, watching sky, drinking beer, taking bath) or just plainly taking a nap/sleeping. The point is - guarding is not relaxing. While not physically tiring, if you do it properly, it's mentally tiring.

If you sleep less than 4 hours per day, you automatically gain 1 point of fatigue. Each subsequent day without more than 5 hours of sleep will give additional +1 point (meaning the first night gives you 1 point, second 2, third 3 - if you don't sleep for 4 days, you get fatigue 7 - which is applied to ALL your rolls (mental and physical, usually KOing you immediately).

For information: since there are no specific rules for fatigue outside combat, this is mostly houseruled. Houserules are in italics.
    I have another houserule which I use at my games, but that one's kinda harsh (but realistic), so we'll vote on its use in OOC thread.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2016-03-30 at 07:24 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

7. - Top - End - #157

Ruark was careful not to step too far out into the storm making an attempt at staying as dry as possible. At least now he knew where the passage led and what it looked like, an excellent spot for an ambush. He returned to the grotto satisfied that he had explored all that he needed to for now. He did not feel exhaustion set in quite yet, but he knew it was coming. An exhausted fighter usually meant a dead fighter and he decided that getting some rest was more important than further barricades at this point.

He returned to the main room of the inn and proposed a watch-order, so that they could see the bandits coming. "I suggest we keep watch for an hour each, while we all get some rest. I can take the first hour, I'm not sleepy yet and I've spent enough time at sea to not let the rain be too much of a hindrance to my eyesight. Nazir's got better eye's than I ever will but he can't stay awake for all of us."

Spoiler: Endurance Rolls
    Show
    (7d10)[2][10][3][8][3][8][2](36) TN 6, he is not fatigued yet.
    Last edited by Mathis; 2016-03-30 at 08:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

"Gerric, if you do the window facing the barn, it'd be good to leave some room to see out to the barn, and some loose boards so I can pull them and shoot through if need be. Doubtful they'll check each board on each window."

"The front door looks well barred. Even if they insist on coming that way we'll have plenty of warning. That leaves the back for their main approach. Taking turns on watch is good but I'm not tired yet so I'm going to find my way up onto the roof."

Nazir strung his bow then headed upstairs, managing not to trip on the weak stairs. "Third and fifth stairs are weak. Could be useful against an enemy."

He knew Urukubarr had checked the 2nd floor already but Nazir wanted to explore and get to know the area for himself. He checked inside the wardrobe in the hall then looked down at the view form above. He carefully pulled it over on the side then walked it forward to the railing with the doors on the hall side so they could still be opened. That would give him cover to shoot from later if needed.

Nazir looks up in the hallway to see if there was access to an attic, then checks each of the upstairs rooms for anything of interest and the best access to the roof.

Show
    From OOC:
    EN/TN6: (5d10)[2][3][[B]10[/B]][4][1](20) 1 success

From Roller thread:
    Perception check for weak stairs (not sure if someone actually pointed it out)
    (7d10)[1][8][2][4][1][9][3](28) Assuming the 9 gives me a success, will rewrite if not.

Perception check for best way up onto the roof
    (7d10)[10][9][2][1][5][2][6](35)

If there is attic access I'll search there, then use the best way to get onto the roof. Out there, get a 360 review of the area then focus toward the back.

Fatigue check for the end of the hour of searching the upstairs and being out on the roof. Plan is to rest after the scouting and reporting back.
    (5d10)[8][9][2][1][8](28)
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

So, the others really were fine with Kate taking the lead. It had certainly seemed that way earlier; But she'd wanted to be sure. It wouldn't do for the group's only noble to just assume that she was in command. That had all sorts of bad implications.

Kate's eyes strayed to the newly revealed strongbox contents. They lingered especially on the signet ring. She subconsciously touched the finger that had, until recently, worn a similar ring: One bearing the twin ravens of House Sendrick. She'd deliberately left it on her pillow back home, as a message. The owner of the one in front of her probably hadn't parted with theirs so willingly. Kate wondered if there was any way to get it back to the Virins: To give them some sort of closure for...Who? Ha, she didn't know a thing about the owner. Woman or man? Loved or hated? There was no way to tell. It was just a ring. She sighed, and stood up. There was work to be done.

First, she donned her armour again. Then she went downstairs to check on Richan. No doubt he'd exploit any opportunity for escape. She thus made certain that no such opportunity existed: No loose ropes, no sharp objects he could use to cut himself free, etc. If there was a way to lock him inside a secure room, then she'd do so. Kate also took the opportunity to ask him a few more questions: About the inn's remaining secret, Mad Dog's fighting style, and the likely manner that his cronies would use to enter the inn.

After that, she'd take first watch. And then, sleep; Blessed sleep...

Show
    Soc/Persuasion roll: (5d10)[9][1][1][2][9](22)
    Last edited by Anyr; 2016-03-30 at 05:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Sorry, it seems a missed a few points of dialouge

Urukubarr knew of Ruark's vision, and it unsettled him. He didn't like to think about it, especially since he fully believed him. When he brought it up, Urukubarr clicked his tongue and turned his head from Ruark. Ruark knew, this was a Ahvori colloquialism; Urukubarr was showing displeasure at the subject. "I stand with my brother, we following Kate until we cannot." With that, Urukubarr began to clear the table. He would sweep and tidy up the main room with the fire, as well as sweet and tidy up the kitchen a bit. He refilled the wine and water, leaving it on the table next to the freshly cut up sausages. And now for the body... It couldn't stay here like this, especially where they may prepare food again. Urukubarr attempts to drop the body down the ladder. Next step would be bringing the boy upstairs so they could keep a close eye on him.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Kate

With her armour on and sword by her side she felt ready to talk to the boy Richan. She went downstairs, passing Urukubarr who was cleaning kitchen - he looked like he was in a bit worse mood. Something at the table must have upset him a bit. Or it was just the body in the kitchen?

Entering the cellar she saw that her companions left Richan in the middle of the cellar, lying tied. He was already awake and looked quite angry - she couldn't blame him. He must have heard the laughter from above - and smelled the soup.

This was a question she had to answer for herself. She knew her mother would have gutted the boy after he told the Silent Brothers everything he knew...and would deny him food and sleep. But she wasn't her mother... at least she wished not to be like the woman.

She approached him carefully, checking the ropes that bound him. She was cold, aloof, but tried to be civil with him.

The boy did not respond for the first few minutes, but when she asked him about Mad Dog, he started talking - almost as if he were proud to be in his band.

"Mad Dog is vicious. He fights like an animal - doesn't seem to feel any pain. He once killed a man by biting off his throat. He uses a large axe or short sword - he can gut you with any of these."

The look in his eyes was revolting - a mixture of fear and fascination, as if he enjoyed Mad Dog's brutality.

"But wait for the others. The fat knight is worse - he's a real killer, even if he fights fair. Hates dirty tricks and if you cross his path, he will take you down easily with his longsword or spear."

She was almost sure of his motivation to stay with this group.

"He'll most likely go to few taverns and villages, find some thugs, outlaws and hired blades - and bring them here. No more than we can handle in case there are not enough... passerbys."

As he says the last word, he looks at her. The glint in his eyes, the hungry look. Kate now understands him. He doesn't just like killing. He loves the feeling of power that comes from it. A sick, depraved mind. She met people like those. Silent Brothers were similar - they only practiced their... "Art" as her uncle called it. She unconsciously shivered. The boy must have recognized it.

"You are afraid of them, aren't you? You should be. They'll come and..."

His tirade was interrupted by a loud sound - as if someone threw a body down the opening in kitchen. She turned around to see, that it was indeed it - Urukubarr was just going down the ladder, under which lied the crumpled body of the burly man from kitchen.

She turned to the boy, with a smile on her lips.

Seeing the smile and approaching half-orc, the boy immediately decided to be more helpful, his tongue tied from fear.

"They sh'd enter via the back. Y'know - the-the-the...passage. If they heard the horn they would've been here already, so they prob'bly won't... y'know, expect you here. The Mad Dog will expect at least one of us down, in the grotto, b'cause we should stay there - he forbid us from staying in the inn, but sitting on limestone gets old, y'know?"

His eyes jumped from Kate to Urukubarr, who moved closer, dragging the body of the poor sod from kitchen by his leg. Kate looked at Urukubarr's face - and while his expression was one of pure bloodlust, she saw a glint of laughter in his eyes - he was enjoying the theater and the boy's reaction...

Show
    While Geneve conventions were not in place at that time, your prisoner may be hungry...

This is the information you got out of him - and you know it's true. He said also other stuff - mostly about how terrible they are and how you are going to die.

The question is - where are you going to lock him. You can either put him into one of the rooms on the upper floor - without windows - and barricade the door, or the bath room (it has no windows), hang him on one of the chains in the meat room, or use the meat storage room in basement (door next to the wardrobe, full of barrels with meat) - and barricade the door.

Or you and Urukubarr can put him upstairs and bind him to one of the columns.

Also - where should everybody sleep?

Lots of questions.

Nazir

The wardrobe upstairs moved slowly, scratching the wooden floor. He found nothing except old hides and furs inside. And few dead moths.

But at least it will give him some cover upstairs in case the enemy gets to the main room.

He quickly checked the rooms, but he found only few steel balls usable with sling in one chest, and two furs hung on one of the walls, which looked better preserved than the others - these could be used as material or even as comfortable substitute for bedroll.

He then walked to one of the windows at the side of the room, checking for best way to reach the cliff. It was difficult to see through the rain, but his elven heritage again provided him with advantage. The back side of the inn was a part of the cliff.

Nazir leaned out of window to check the walls of the inn. They were slippery due to the rain, but there were enough openings for him to put his fingers in. He wasn't the best climber - and the rain and wind wouldn't help him.

On the other way, the cliff was even worse. There were only few places he could definitely use for support. The easiest way would be to climb to the roof and attempt to climb up the rest of the cliff - that would be the worst part indeed.

He walked back to the room and looked up - the roof was a bit leaky already and there was enough furniture for him to get up... at least one part of the climb would be behind him.

Show
    There are 15 balls for sling in the chest. They can be also thrown.
    As for the rope, I think Kate and Ruark have some.

Ruark

Ruark took his waterskin and the small whetstone with him and ventured to the cave entrance. He passed Urukubarr, cleaning the kitchen, and Kate, trying to get the boy to talk.

He had spent some time guarding the warcamps and had the patience. He found a place to sit, still covered by the cave, comfortable enough for him not ache after two hours, but not enough to lure him to sleep and took out the whetstone. With long, patient and calm movements he begun sharpening his blade, preparing himself both physically and mentally for the combat, while still watching the valley for any movement.

For first half hour, he noticed nothing, except for a deer in the distance and some birds.

As he was ready to stop sharpening, he heard some movement from behind, from the cave...

Urukubarr

Urukubarr felt uncomfortable - Ruark reminded him of the Dark Ones and their attack. He did not like the feelings of powerlessness he experienced in their hands and while he longed for revenge, he was sure it wasn't time for it now. They were not ready for an enemy like that.

He decided to get busy - if his hands worked, his mind would focus on the work - and not on...

The work went well. The main room was cleaned in no time - and Gerric even accepted third offering of wine. Kate went downstairs - he heard her patiently talking to the boy.

He looked at the body in the kitchen and decided, that if he's cleaning up, he'll clean up rigorously.

The body was heavy - and wet of blood. Urukubarr lifted it and brought it to the hole... he thought about slowly lowering it down, but then his hands slipped on the blood and he only heard a thump and shocked gasp from the cellar.

He descended and saw Kate looking at him quizzically, and the boy watching him with fear. He decided to help Kate and put on his most terrible grimace - while taking the leg of the man and pulling him towards the boy, towards the meat room. The boy went from nervous to frightened and started spilling his guts. Urukubarr smiled inside. Sometimes the bad reputation worked in his favour...

Show
    The same as with Kate - she wants to lock him somewhere:
    The question is - where are you going to lock him. You can either put him into one of the rooms on the upper floor - without windows - and barricade the door, or the bath room (it has no windows), hang him on one of the chains in the meat room, or use the meat storage room in basement (door next to the wardrobe, full of barrels with meat) - and barricade the door.

Or you and Kate can put him upstairs and bind him to one of the columns. Kate has some rope.

Gerric

Gerric watched Urukubarr clean up - sweeping the floor, cleaning the table, as he continued with the barricades. He could have used the half-orc, but he did not know if he had any skill with hammer and nails.

When the half-orc offered him another cup of wine, he nodded, and placed it next to him. He wanted to be finished as soon as possible.

When he put the last nail in the boards at the last window in the main room, he looked around - Urukubarr was going downstairs, to the cellar. It was strange - the room suddenly felt too empty compared to the dinner. He was used to being alone - but it was almost pleasant being a part of a group which worked together, where you did not need to instill fear in others.

He stretched his arms, cracked his fingers. He was still awake, ready to work.

Show
    Let me know your next plans
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Satisfied with his work at the front, Gerric takes the ladder down to the lower level to see for himself the secret tunnel. At the very least they will have fair warning should anyone try to get through that direction.

He passes Kate and the prisoner, "He bein' cooperative?" he asks. "I figure when the bastards get here he's goin' to be hollerin' to them. If you want, I can cut out his tongue once we learned what we want from him. It'd be no trouble at all."

13. - Top - End - #163

Nazir took notice of the windows on the top floor and what fields of view they gave for shooting. He grabbed the metal sling balls to bring downstairs. Starting to come down the stairs the dripping water caused him to look up and realize that was his way to the roof. He dropped the sling balls into the loot pile. No one is around but he hears them down in the cellar. He goes down the ladder and reports what he found upstairs.

"No easy way onto the roof in this rain, but if I get some help we can pile furniture so I can reach the hole in the roof. There will still be a climb up onto the top of the cliff and in this rain that will be challenging. From the windows I didn't see where Mad Dog would be coming from. Ruark went back down the tunnel right? I should go take another look that way."

Up to this point Nazir had purposefully not looked towards Richan. While listening to any response he turns and stares at the boy, making sure the boy sees his inhuman bright green eyes. Unless otherwise directed Nazir heads back towards/through the grotto with sword in hand until he finds Ruark.

Show
    Nazir doesn't know yet about the outdoor clearing/crevice/cave entrance from Ruark yet, but did he see it from one of the windows? If yes the that becomes his focus and he speaks to my comments in OOC for ambushing in the clearing. If not, he asks for help moving furniture to reach the hole in the roof, grabbing the hatchet to make the hole bigger if need be, leave his sword at the bottom, bring the unstrung bow and dagger.

If/when I pass by the boy again, time for some halfling intimidation fun Another question for the boy I thought of was what types of armor do they wear? We should compile what we know about them in OOC.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2016-04-01 at 06:45 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

The sound put Ruark on edge, he slowly and as silently as possible put down the whetstone. He got up from his seated position and instead went down on one knee, to make himself as small as possible. And as quietly as possible he waited for the source of the sound to reveal itself.

Show
    I'm not sure if the sound is coming from where the bandits would be arriving from, or from further inside the cave where my companions are.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Gerric

His words were the final friendly shove that pushed the boy over the edge - he began sobbing and broke down completely. But he was already on his way into the tunnel - he passed the hook where the horn originally hung - at least according to Ruark's report - and entered the grotto through the wolf-fur-covered arch.

The grotto was too warm for him. He was a man of mountains and while he liked a bit of summer, this was too much for him. Once he heard about lands at deep south, where the sun can cook you and you can die out of heatstroke. Some people lay the strangest claims when drunk...

As he continued forward, through the bear-hide-covered passage, it got colder around him. He welcomed the smell of fresh air, wet from rain and for a moment he longed for the springs in the mountains.

He walked forward, only to notice a movement at the end of the tunnel - he recognized Ruark, sword in his hands. He did not want to startle him, nor address him - he did not know how far his voice could be heard and he expected enemies to be close - it was always better to expect them.

Ruark must have recognized him as he closed in, because his arms relaxed and he lowered his sword. And then he was tense again - and Gerric knew why.

He heard it too - the sound that made him feel as if someone held his heart and pumped it forcefully - he felt every vein pulse and was feeling as alive as never.

Horse neigh. The enemy was even closer than he expected.

His hand slid to the handle of his axe almost unconsciously - his and Ruark's eyes met and he saw that Ruark was smiling. Savaxen were known as fierce warriors who welcomed the possibility to cheat death, to fight for their lives. He felt, that he was also smiling - the dance with death was his favourite one...

Spoiler: Gerric OOC
    Show
    Ok, round-by-round again, at least for you and Ruark. It's gonna get fast now. You don't see them yet.

Ruark

The sound came from the cave behind him. The storm was slowly diminishing - leaving the area, so he could hear the footsteps. He was quite sure it was one of his companions, but it could have been the boy - if he broke free.

The silhouette was one of a man. He thought he can recognize the gait, but the man did not address him, even if he must have seen him. As the figure moved forward, his eyes recognized Gerric - and he relaxed for a moment. But only for a moment - since he heard a sound that made him feel as if someone poured the icy waters of Sea of Raiders into his veins.

A horse whinny.

He felt his neck hair stand up. Too soon, he thought. But then his savaxen heart woke up and there was suddenly a smile on his face. It's never too soon. His and Gerric's eyes met. The grim mountain man didn't show his smile often, but now he did. Savaxen men valued skill with weapon and courage - and Gerric seemed to have both. Soon it would be shown for sure...

Spoiler: Ruark OOC
    Show
    Ok, round-by-round again, at least for you and Gerric. It's gonna get fast now. You don't see them yet.

Kate

Gerric passed them, as they stood over the boy together with Urukubarr. He joined on the "fun" of harassing the boy. "He bein' cooperative?" he asked. "I figure when the bastards get here he's goin' to be hollerin' to them. If you want, I can cut out his tongue once we learned what we want from him. It'd be no trouble at all.".

That was the last drop the boy needed. Richan began sobbing and broke down completely - the boy who just few moments ago tried to intimidate her, was now only a boy, crying because he was afraid.

There was no chance she would get anything out of him now. She looked at Gerric, but he did not even look at the boy - only entered the secret passage.

Her eyes itched. She longed for sleep, but there was still work to do. She heard Nazir behind her - she didn't hear him climb down the ladder...

"No easy way onto the roof in this rain, but if I get some help we can pile furniture so I can reach the hole in the roof. There will still be a climb up onto the top of the cliff and in this rain that will be challenging. From the windows I didn't see where Mad Dog would be coming from. Ruark went back down the tunnel right? I should go take another look that way."

Urukubarr

Gerric passed them, as they stood over the boy together with Kate. "He bein' cooperative?" he asked. "I figure when the bastards get here he's goin' to be hollerin' to them. If you want, I can cut out his tongue once we learned what we want from him. It'd be no trouble at all.".

That was the last drop the boy needed - he began sobbing and broke down completely - the boy who just few moments ago tried to intimidate Kate with strong talk, was now only a boy, crying because he was afraid. Urukubarr felt sick - he disliked this kind of "heroics". You either held your word or you were no man.

The Savaxen had long tradition of boasting - they would one-up each other with strange and silly boasts, but the men were tough - they wouldn't back off from fight, or their promise. He could value that - and that was one thing he learned from them.

Kate looked at Gerric, but he did not even look at the boy - only entered the secret passage. Urukubarr thought about locking the boy inside the back room.

Suddenly he heard Nazir's voice behind him. That half-elf had to climb down to cellar while they focused on the boy.

Nazir

The main room was empty - everybody left. The backpacks were still there, as well as the loot. He dropped the balls into the loot pile and thought of his next move. He heard Gerric's voice from below, and he thought he could report to Kate - she wanted to interrogate the prisoner more. His acute hearing told him also that Urukubarr was down there.

He climbed down the ladder, approaching Kate. She was standing near to the boy, Urukubarr at her side. He did not see Gerric anywhere, but heard someone move inside the secret passage. His mind set on climbing to the roof - and he was ready to ask for their help moving furniture to reach the hole in the roof. As he closed in, with the intention to intimidate the boy a bit further, he saw that there was no need for that...

The boy was weakly sobbing, lying on the ground shivering.

He thought about going to the passage immediately - the situation was now quite unpleasant, but wanted to wait if Kate had any other ideas.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate still felt no sympathy for the cowering boy. Such a wretch was lucky to be alive at all. Come to think of it, she was probably more likely to kill him than her mother would have been. Now there was a sobering thought. Nazir's arrival provided a welcome distraction from such things.

"Apparently Mad Dog usually enters via the passageway. He doesn't expect anyone to be within the inn itself.

As for the furniture, I'll give you a hand. I'm done with this boy, in more ways than one.
    "

She really shouldn't have volunteered for that. Staying awake during first watch was already going to be difficult; Without making her tired body lift heavy objects first.

17. - Top - End - #167

Ruark knew that whoever had led their horses to the tunnel entrance would have them tied and secured in no time, there wouldn't be time for preparation, or sleep. He gestured for Gerric to go get the others by waving his swordarm at him in the direction of Kate who was presumably still interrogating Richan, and mouthing the words "Kate, others" as quietly as possible.That only took a second or two and regardless of Gerrics actions, Ruark took up position on the side of the tunnel, ready to ambush whoever came through the bear furs.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Gerric squatted next to the boy, a scowl of barely contained rage covered his face as the child started blubbering. Grabbing the boy under the chin he forced him to look him in the eyes.

"Now listen, whelp. You wanted to be a hard man? A raider like me or Mad Dog? This is part of it." He shoved his other hand in front of Richan's eyes, showing the two joints of his fingers that were bitten off in his duel with Fulk the Hammerblessed, and turning so the kid could see the scars that lined his face and the ear that was cut off when Euric betrayed him. "When killin' is your life, one day you're goin' to be on the wrong end of a blade. If you aren't man enough to deal with that, you are never goin' to be anything but this worthless craven you are now. Be grateful it's just your tongue, if it was up to me, you'd be gutted already." Letting go of the boy Gerric stood up and walked off, muttering "****in' southerners."

As he walked into the grotto, Gerric tugged at the front of his shirt, hoping to get some cool air on his skin. It didn't help much, but he'd take any little bit, now that his blood was already hot from telling Richan off. He gave Ruark a nod as he drew near. Then he heard the horse.

Damn, he'd been hoping he'd have time to rig something on this entrance as well. No such luck.

Rushing toward somewhere that would keep him out of sight, he quickly scanned his surroundings trying to think of something that could give them the advantage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tactics check: (3d10)[10][10][10](30) TN 6

Holy crap.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-04-01 at 12:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Seeing that Gerric chose to asses the tactical advantages of the grotto Ruark instead found it prudent to get the others. He knew that Kate should still be interrogating Richan and made his way towards her, "Things are about to get real active down here" he said. He also noticed that by a miracle above all miracles, everyone else was also in the cellar. "I heard a horse, someone's coming. Hurry up, get in here with us."

He hustled back to join Gerric at the entrance of the tunnel to see if he had come up with any tactical brilliance. His sword was sharp, his companions were nearby and it was time to bring justice down on the Mad Dog.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

While Urukubarr was pleased with the successful intimidation of the pest, he was equally sickened by his lack of a spine. Such cowardice was greatly looked down upon, even in children among the Savaxen and Ahvori alike. He spat in the boy's direction in an attempt to get the bad taste out of his mouth. "Take him upstairs? Bind and silence him? He knows of signals for Mad Dog? Signals for safe or danger when he arrives?" But before any of Urukubarr's plans or questions could be addressed, Ruark appeared, "Things are about to get real active down here" he said, looking around. He seemed relieved that everyone was present, and Urukubarr would know why with his next statement, "I heard a horse, someone's coming. Hurry up, get in here with us."

Oh, the hunt called to him again! Before anything, the boy would have to be gagged or knocked unconscious so he doesn't interfere with their ambush. Urukubarr once learned from a old druid that being unconscious was bad for one's health, oh well. If he could not find a gag quickly, the boy would have a worse headache when he woke up.

Once that is over with, Urukubarr moves as quietly as he can to the other's position, ready to stage an ambush.

Show
    Roll for Battle, Strategy, Tactics, or Sneak??
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-04-02 at 08:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate looked up at Gerric in surprise. The enemy was here already? Damn. The preparations were far from complete. Ah well, they'd just have to make do with what they had. With sword and shield in hand, she followed Gerric down the tunnel.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Gerric, the Demon of the Dragontooth Mountains

Gerric's mind raced with possibilities as he looked around him at the grotto. He decided to go peek once more outside - just to see a bit of the enemy.

A lightning flashed, showing him the whole valley. He noticed three men on horses, first one having a lantern, with several other men on foot behind them. They seemed tired, and walked slowly. Gerric counted five men on feet - two of them had lanterns. Another lightning showed him that one of the men on horses surely had a plate armour of some sorts - the reflection told him that. He did not want to loiter there since there was always a chance they will notice him and so he returned inside.

From tactical point the grotto wasn't their best choice, but it was feasible. They had some time - maybe a minute or two until the enemy arrived, if he went directly inside. There were some empty barrels which could be used as improvised cover for their archer, but other than that, no cover.

He thought about retreating to the inn cellar - the passage entrance was even more uncomfortable for the enemy to enter, since they had to climb through the wardrobe... and there were enough possible hiding places. The only question was, whether the enemy would find out they were here... and he was quite sure he wouldn't.

He stood next to the entrance with his back to the wall, listening for the enemy, with his axe ready to strike. Then he saw Ruark return - and with him all his companions.

In his mind, he saw the first enemy dead, struck by his axe or Urukubarr's blade. The half-orc would be the best choice for first attack - his strength itself would ensure a swift demise. He saw Ruark stand beside Urukubarr, to cover him in case the enemy countered his attack. Kate would in the same way cover him... the only free way for the enemy would be forward, to the pool... and that's where Nazir's arrows would kill them. He was hoping that the man with the plate armour falls to the pool - that sight would surely be entertaining. Maybe if the enemy runs inside and they have rope...

But no time for that. Nazir's place would be on the other side of pool, behind a barrel, peppering the enemy with arrows, keeping them at bay... for that he needed the bear pelt down, but only after their tactic was known to the enemy.

They needed light to fight, but Nazir did not need light to shoot - at least he told them so. The fire that Ruark stoked was again on the verge of dying, and Gerric's eyes were getting used to the darkness... and the men had lanterns, so that's another advantage. However, Ruark carried a torch - and that could be both boon and liability.

Gerric felt his lips split in a smile - this will be a good fight. And they will win. He gestured for the others to come near him as fast as possible.

Show
    Perception (3d10)[2][2][4](8) - additional information to be provided in case of successes

As for the tactics roll - holy crap indeed....

Katherine Sendrick

So much for my rest, she thought. But then, as they moved down the passage, she noticed that the fatigue disappeared, replaced by the usual tenseness she felt before combat. She remembered her instructor of swordfighting, who used to tell her that it's normal to tense, but if you keep it up for too long, it may also prove to be fatal.

As she entered the grotto, she surveyed her surroundings. The campfire that the bandits set was slowly dying and it provided only little light. Luckily, Ruark's torch provided enough light for them to see.

Gerric was standing near the opening covered by bear pelt. He was signalling them to come closer. By the corner of her eye she noticed Nazir was preparing his bow - he had unstrung it when he thought the enemy was far...

So much for plans and preparations. Hopefully Gerric had some good news - he was smiling.

As she moved towards Gerric, eyes still on the opening, she adjusted the straps on her shield, checked her armour and drew her sword. She felt less tense now - and ready for battle.

Ruark, son of Ruark, son of Ruark

As Ruark entered the grotto, he saw Gerric at the entrance - prepared to strike. The fire he stoked up was slowly dying and provided only small light, but his torch was sufficient in providing light to the area.

He saw Gerric at the entrance. So they were in time and the bandits were not yet there. He whispered a quick prayer to Wodan - he felt as if the gods were watching them at this moment, giving them small advantage and felt he needed to prove his worth for this gift.

Ruark felt his heartbeat quicken. He was ready for a fight and did not care that the enemy came before they slept... he knew that he will sleep soundly after they defeat the Mad Dog, and if not, Wodan's halls would welcome his son. Death in battle was something every Savaxen wanted - dying in bed was for southerners.

He seized the handle of his sword and in his mind longed for Wodan's Icewrath, the legendary nordic sword that belonged to his ancient ancestors, whose blade could cut armour as warm knife carves butter. Any nordic sword would be acceptable at the moment, however, he felt that he needed to earn one. Maybe when this is over and the golden ring is sold, he can afford a proper weapon for Savaxen warrior...

But there was no time for daydreaming. He quickly, but silently approached Gerric, one eye kept on the entrance. No movement or sounds yet. Maybe they had still some time...

Urukubarr of Ahvori

Urukubarr felt his heartbeat quicken and he knew the hunt begun. He felt the spirits inside him ask for revenge - at this moment it was just whispering, but they would get louder before the dawn breaks...

The boy was bound already, and Kate had the gag - a simple piece of cloth - in her hands. Urukubarr pulled it gently out of her hands as she hurried off after Ruark and put it inside boy's mouth. He did not even struggle. Pathetic...

He sighed and then inhaled deeply - his lungs filled with air again and he knew that he had to be elsewhere.

When he entered the grotto for the first time, his eyes skipped from the pool with warm water - a sign of nature that they were favoured by it - to the empty barrels, to the bedrolls on the ground and finally to Gerric - he was standing near something that looked like an entrance - it was something like an arch covered by bear pelt, his axe in his hand. He gestured for them to come closer.

Urukubarr unsheathed his sword. Kate moved in front of him, adjusting her armour, and he saw Nazir attempt to string his bow. And his friend, Ruark, with sword and torch in his hands, stood already near Gerric. It was time to fight. He mumbled a short prayer to the First Father. This little grotto looked like a good spot for ambush. And they had a place to retreat to if everything fell apart...

He walked around the small campfire, which was already dying. The boy in the cellar was forgotten for the moment, as the inn, the merchant and everything. He focused only on one thought - the fight that will happen at this small grotto.

Show
    Strategy can't be really used for small-scale combats. It's for large engagements - movements of armies, logistics, etc.
    Tactics could be used. Feel free to roll WIT/Tactics if you want.
    Sneak - not necessary. They are not close enough to hear you yet.

Nazir of Silverleaf Forest

Nazir entered the grotto - and saw that it was getting darker, the campfire was already dying. Only Ruark's torch lighted the area. He already could see the auras of his companions in front of him.

He thought they were already engaged by the enemy, but it seemed that there was still time, so he immediately sheathed his sword and begun to string his bow, while surveying the area for something to hide behind. There were two empty barrels nearby...and a place where the ground was soft enough to provide a place to stick reserve arrows in...

Show
    Sorry for delay, map of the grotto will be posted tomorrow (no time today).
    You have still few moments before the enemy enters. They at the moment don't know about you - Gerric is sure about it.
    Assume 30-second rounds now until the combat starts. Write your plans and - if you know what to roll, feel free to roll it.
    If you extinguish Ruark's torch, you'll fight in "dim" conditions, -1 to CP. If you keep it, everything will be lit sufficiently.

As for Nazir, I'll try to run him according to Cavir's wishes - Anyr can set any targets in case it's necessary ("shout" in IC).

I'll do a small OOC post today, but it's off to bed for me - I'm a bit ill, nothing serious, but still uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2016-04-02 at 03:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate obeyed Gerric's instruction to come closer. He seemed to have a better grasp of the situation than her. She'd let him take the lead here. As she waited for the first enemy to arrive, her mind was at peace. There were no thorny moral questions to tackle here. She could cut down Mad Dog and his subordinates with a clean conscience; And a bloody blade.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

As Kate walked closer to him he flashed her one of his more wild grins. He felt it now, that blood rush, the pumping in his veins. The thirst to smash someone's teeth in. By Leitha and Abdallos he missed the feeling of just before one of his traps was sprung.

"Eight men," Gerric whispered. "Still takin' care of the horses, we have 'bout a minute, maybe a little longer. Five came walkin' they're tired, the three on horse will be the trouble, probably Mad Dog is one, one of 'em is wearin' a plate harness, don't know who the last one on horse was, probably one of the archers.

They're goin' to come through here. Way I figure, you and I stay on this side of the entrance, put Uruk and Ruark on the other, since they're used to fightin' together.
    " He pointed at the barrels, "we move 'em together on the other side of the pool to give Nazir cover to shoot at 'em from. Two of the bastards are carryin' lanterns, meanin' they don't have their hands on their weapons, or at least not ready. We wait on this side of the bearskin, if the first person that enters is carryin' a lantern Uruk and I attack him. If he isn't we may be able to wait for the second and we can kill two of 'em before they know what is happenin'. But no matter how we do it, as soon as we deliver the first blow, we tear down that bearskin to give Nazir an openin' to shoot from. He can see 'em in the dark, but if we get rid of our lights they won't see us. He gets to attack anyone who tries to get in, and we will still be at position to attack anyone tryin' to enter.

If we're lucky we can get maybe 3 or 4 dead before they get their heads about them. Nazir can see what they're doin', if they split up, that means they're goin' to try and pin us by goin' through the front door, which they'll find locked up, might leave an openin' for us to attack half the remainder and outnumber them for once. If they don't split up
    ," Gerric shrugged and somehow his grin grew even wilder. "If they don't split up we got ourselves a standoff. Things could get fun."
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-04-03 at 08:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Nazir thought for a second about his firing point. Directly across, cover, low light. All good for him. He drew his sword and laid it on top of one of the barrels for easy access. He then grabbed half his arrows and laid them on top of the other barrel, spread out for easy grabbing. Grabbing three more arrows from his quiver he holds two in his bow hand and nocks the third.

"The best we're getting it seems. it may be challenging for some but protect yourselves and let me create the openings for you. I'll need extra time to line up a shot against the heavy armor."

The halfling focuses on his listening for noises coming from beyond the hanging fur.

Show
    Peception (9d10)[2][2][8][4][3][9][10][9][3](50) with +2 for Passion
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Ruark took his place at Urrukubarrs side and whispered his prayer, "Lo there do I see my father, Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers, Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. They do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Wodan, where the brave may live forever."

This wasn't the best place for their fight, but it would do. Soon they would bloody their swords together for the first time properly!
    Last edited by Mathis; 2016-04-03 at 12:32 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Urukubarr gave Ruark a nod when he took his position next to him. He'd heard the old prayer before, said by the men and women of Savaxen before a fight. He admitted to himself that he missed the war songs too. Urukubarr could still feel the symbol on his chest, reminding him of the debt to be paid. "Blood must answer blood..." he muttered to himself, as the beast within welled up in his chest. He would keep himself under control until proper moment to strike. He would be as the snake, and with his brother by his side, he could not fail.

Show
    Prepared to avenge the spirits of this house. Passion activated?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone

Each one of them listened to the sounds coming from outside. At first nothing came - thirty seconds passed. Then another thirty seconds. They stopped counting, for a moment thinking if the men were just imagined or only a caravan passing by.

The storm did not rage outside anymore, but the rain masked any sounds. Was that a neigh of a horse? A stomp of a hoove? Or clanking of armour? Nobody was sure. They looked one at another - awaiting the enemy, their senses strained to the maximum.

For a moment they thought the enemy has avoided them - they almost expected enemy enter to sneak inside, to hear movement from the inn above, or even behind them. Or to wait behind the bear fur until they move, waiting for their mistake.

Behind them, the campfire crackled, dying, only few moments of light remaining, providing the only sound. They felt as if their breathing was as loud as roaring of storm hours moments ago, their every movement exactly as noisy as movement of army.

It was almost anti-climatic when they heard the voice.

"Welcome home, boys. Bolt - take care of horses. Orrik - cover our tracks, you have the first watch outside. You - boy, help him down from horse and inside.

The voice sounded raspy, spoke fast with the wind of authority - as if the person was used to giving orders. It also contained something else - like a naked blade, they heard barely-contained anger in the voice.

There was a short break, with sounds of movement. Then another voice responded - deep, with a whiff of pomp, slow - as if the response was calculated precisely.

"Commander... I wish to take care of my own steed. So I shall take the first watch - with your consent."

"Agreed, ser Gared. I will send one of those lazy bastards to relieve you as soon as I find them. Hope they are not sleeping - or we'll need to recruit more people.
    And why are you lot standing around like this? Can't find your way? Follow him...
    "

The anger was less contained by the last sentence.

And then it came. The bear pelt moved - and they saw a smaller elderly man, with gray beard and hair, wielding a lantern in one hand, clad in a overcoat made of hides, pull aside the pelt. They saw movement and at least one more source of light behind him...

Show
    I rolled REF/Battle for each combatant in the rolling thread to see if any of you "froze" in the first round. Luckily, your characters are seasoned warriors, so everybody can react.

We are switching to combat rounds, so write down your actions for round 1, exchange 1.

Spoiler: Gerric
    Show
    Gerric removed the hatchet from his belt and put down the pouch he filled with nails - there were only two or three nails left. When he heard the first voice, he was sure it was the Mad Dog. That was a voice of bandit leader - and a good one. Few months ago, he would try to recruit him.

However, now he only gripped his axe stronger. It was time to kill - and time to see if his plan was a good one. The pelt moved.

Spoiler: Kate
    Show
    The first voice had to be Mad Dog. But the second voice... cultured. She recognized the style of talking and even Mad Dog titled him "ser". That could mean only one thing - a knight.
    And Gerric said one of the men was wearing armour...
    ...a fallen knight. The Nemethians called them "raubritters" - robber knights. They were the worst sort. And that voice of his... she shivered, unconsciously.
    She took a deep breath, prepared for fight. Her arm gripped her sword handle, and she felt the weight of armour, distributed well around her body. It would protect her... and also him.
    She readied herself. It was time - the pelt moved.

Spoiler: Nazir
    Show
    The bear pelt was too thick. He should have asked his companions to remove it - his fey sight could not pierce it. But as soon as he saw the light flicker behind it, he knew the first one was coming with a source of light, so he could aim true.

He had the arrow nocked, so he only drew the bow as soon as the skin started moving and as soon as it touched his cheek, he begun aiming at the entrance.

Behind the old man he saw someone with a halberd and two men - one burly and tall, supporting the other one. He had a clear shot on the old man, the others were covered by his wide cloak.

He had to decide - shoot or wait for the others to drop him?

Show
    1st round, 1st exchange. MP = proficiency dice.
    As for Passion - it's not in play yet. The team is not under direct attack, so not yet.
    As soon as the combat starts and you protect them from enemy - it activates.

Spoiler: Ruark
    Show
    Ruark's prayer finished, he felt ready to meet his enemy. He had his brother-in-arms at his side, awaited the first opponent. When he heard that they were outnumbered, he smiled - what more could a man ask from life?

He only wished the gods were looking at them - they need not help now, just watch as they test their mettle against worthy opponents, bloody their swords and maybe earn a place at their table...

Show
    As the battle joins, Urukubarr will be in danger - meaning, your passion activates.

Spoiler: Urukubarr
    Show
    In his mind he heard chanting of the spirits - they howled for blood now. He could also hear sound of drums - the drums of his people - and songs of the Savaxen. His blood boiled, his chest pulsated and he wanted to throw himself to action. When the pelt moved, he felt as if the spirits pulled him forward...

Show
    As the battle joins, Ruark will be in danger - meaning, your passion activates.
    Thanks to the hunter's spirit I will offer one free reroll to everyone, except Urukubarr - his prize lies elsewhere.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate restrained herself for the moment. According to Gerric, the first strike belonged to Urukubarr and himself. Her turn would come later.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

First one had a lantern, pity, trap will have to be done quickly then.

Raising his axe above his head he cuts downward toward the man's head as he comes into his sight. Hoping that Uruk strikes as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    (10d10)[4][4][9][8][7][1][8][2][10][6](59) TN 7, 8 damage, Major Gift Accuracy: I can move my Hit Location roll up or down 3. I will move it to wherever is most likely to get me a kill.