New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1126272829303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1311
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Empty Graves (IC)

In spite of Grekka's frantic motions with the cage, Lehasti deftly manages to insert her falchion between two bars, and nearly yanks the contraption out of her friend's hands as she heaves it into the ground, nearly cleaving the head in half. Then, Turi comes to his mentor's help, and stabs the head with his kukris in a simultaneous motion from either side. Hit in one eye, the horrid being vomits a final cry of rage, before it is finally still. "All of you... CURSE YOU to the depths of Hell!"

But, in her final throes, the mouth opens to whisper a last word, in softer tones...

"... Thanks."

Spoiler: botting Turi
    Show

Doesn't count as flanking, though.
    (1d20+9)[13] damage (1d4+6)[7] cc(27+) (1d20+9)[18] cd (1d4+6)[8]
    (1d20+9)[26] damage (1d4+6)[10] cc(27+) (1d20+9)[27] cd (1d4+6)[8]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-09-29 at 08:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti takes a few quick breaths as combat ceases. "It is over, Vershab. If I guess rightly, Grekka now shares your affliction as well." The paladin's voice is grim. "Our best hope may be to find some concealed potion or hidden scroll somewhere in these cabinets." The paladin gestures vaguely at the walls before turning to eye their skeletal guardian askance. "This... thing," the paladin fails to quite hide her disgust, "seems to keep its hold on language. Can you ask for what it knows?"

As she speaks, the paladin sheathes her weapon and steps out to the hallway, where Vershab waits, visibly agitated by his impairment. Gently taking one hand in hers and guiding his opposite shoulder, she ushers him into the comparative safety of the closed space, looking for a chair in which to seat the scholar. "I fear we've nothing but time to search for such a remedy, else abandon our quest for the day and seek restoration of sight from the Pharasmins. Even with Calathon's timely aid, the loss both of Menedes and then both your visions will weigh heavily on our shoulders. I am loath to ask that you carry it long."

She immediately sets to the task of deciphering the labels on the cabinets, searching for some indication of useful items.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception? (1d20+4)[14]
    Not sure what other rolls are to be had, but Lehasti will ultimately take 20 unless one of the other PCs suggests a preferable course of action.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2017-09-29 at 09:45 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

3. - Top - End - #1053

NecromancerGuy

Vershab lets the paladin guide him to a seat as he turns in the direction of his guide. "Lehasti, I know how you and most others perceive the undead, but what I am about to explain is important. Currently I control this skeleton, but it is not like a zombie or common undead - it has retained its intelligence and likely many of its memories of life. Periodically it may attempt to resist my control and break free. However, it is a victim of its circumstances and this plague too. We should use it as an ally, but that does not mean we have to be hateful or rude. Let me speak with it for a time and I will try to ensure that it won't turn on us. Then I will see what we can learn from it."

In a less commanding tone, but one that still holds authority in it, Vershab says, "Well done - continue to guard and protect all of us and keep watch for any other undead that might approach. Warn us if threats appear and do your best to keep them away." After taking a seat, he directs his voice to the undead again, more conversationally this time. "By what name would you prefer to be addressed? Who were you in life? You said these other two were brothers - were you being literal? And what was that beheaded enemy in the cage? Tell us about what you all have been doing here. I wish to learn all I can from you. Then, when we are able, I wish to ensure your future cooperation until we can give you some semblance of peace and return you to your well-deserved rest. Will you help us willingly, please?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    The Command Undead feat acts like the Control Undead spell. This undead is intelligent, and will receive another saving throw to break free of Vershab's control in a day. I would like to try and encourage it to cease resisting so as to avoid such a threat and enlist its help. By showing it respect and trying to treat it as a sentient being (as opposed to an object) I figure a Diplomacy check would be in order. Here it is: (1d20)[16]. If any modifiers apply, I am unfamiliar, so adjudicate as you see fit.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    We can roleplay the conversation if you like, though I am fine with hand-waving the dialogue if it would slow things down too much. I have been very busy at work lately, so I can understand either option. I would specifically like to know why the disembodied head said, "...Thanks," as it was dispatched, if the skeletal champion knows...

If it isn't clear, Vershab feels a certain kinship with intelligent undead. His sorcerous bloodline will cause him to be more like them the more he levels, and I intend to have his social awkwardness decrease when peacefully engaging with intelligent undead. If this causes inter-personal strain with the other PCs, I consider that to be a feature, not a fault.

After learning all he can from the skeletal champion, Vershab sits quietly, waiting for his allies to conclude their search for a cure to both Grekka and his blindness. "Unfortunately, the spell used against both Grekka and me is permanent unless countered by curative magic. If you all don't find any potions or scrolls that are specifically for that purpose I think we must return to the temple for aid. Divine servants of most deities can learn, prepare, and cast such magic, so at least we won't be lacking options for someone to use such a scroll...

Speaking of divine servants, the summoned archon is fine - I did not call it here, so when defeated by the enemy it simply returned to its home plane, none the worse for wear.
    "

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "However, it is a victim of its circumstances and this plague too. We should use it as an ally, but that does not mean we have to be hateful or rude. Let me speak with it for a time and I will try to ensure that it won't turn on us. Then I will see what we can learn from it."
    Lehasti gives Vershab a skeptical look, and the skeletal figure with one of continued distaste, but she says nothing. She studiously continues to work through the cabinets in search of some useful item.

However, Azkin seems to be moved more by Vershab's sympathetic tone. He reaches out to rest a hand gently on the arcanist's shoulder, tentatively saying "I think... if our intentions are good, Sarenrae will bless our efforts. Go with Her favor."

Show
    If possible, Azkin will use Touch of Glory to grant Vershab a +2 on the Charisma-based Diplomacy check. If no such check is applicable, he has another hour to use it for +2 on any Charisma or Charisma-based-skill check.

"Unfortunately, the spell used against both Grekka and me is permanent unless countered by curative magic. If you all don't find any potions or scrolls that are specifically for that purpose I think we must return to the temple for aid. Divine servants of most deities can learn, prepare, and cast such magic, so at least we won't be lacking options for someone to use such a scroll...

Speaking of divine servants, the summoned archon is fine - I did not call it here, so when defeated by the enemy it simply returned to its home plane, none the worse for wear.
    "
    "I am relieved that such an ally suffers no more than the momentary pain of combat. Any more would be a poor reward for their much-needed and greatly-appreciated aid." The paladin comments. "And indeed, I would hope that the priests can render aid, but we haven't the luxury of time in abundance. If at all possible, I hope to avoid the loss of what remains of the day."

5. - Top - End - #1055

The skeletal champion stands in front of Vershab, unmoving as he answers his continuous stream of questions. The bone face, of course, is utterly expressionless, as are the red lights passing for eyes in their empty sockets. When he speaks, the voice is equally neutral.

"My preference is no object. I was a soldier. I used "brothers" for economy of speech. The beheaded was Neferekhu. We were guarding her on Nebta-Khufre's behalf."

A ponderous pause follows before the dry voice answers the last question. "There is nothing I do willingly. When your power over me recedes, I will fall back under that of my master."

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Titan in the Playground

For several seconds, Grekka's fury maintains its control over her. She continues to abuse the cage, denting it thoroughly against the stony floor, some time after the creature inside has uttered its last. As her rage subsides, it gives way to fatigue, and the impact of several blows and her own blindness comes crashing down. On hands and knees in the middle of the floor, she begins to weep quietly. Slowly, she eases herself to the floor, her chest rising and falling at a measured pace as she appears to begin to rest.

Turi looks to the brawny woman with both pity and surprise on his face. His gaze shifts to Azkin and Lehasti, clearly uncomfortable and unsure how or whether to interrupt the young woman's dismay. He sheathes both blades, and awkwardly looks like he's about to lay a hand on her shoulder a few times before shaking his head and retreating into the shadows. Unprepared to assist in the search, he stands sentinel by the doorway, waiting for instructions or guidance from his elders. His eyes wander both the room and the hallway beyond, ever curious, but somewhat restrained by recent experience.

7. - Top - End - #1057

While the companions settle to rest after their harrowing battle, Vershab interrogates the skeletal warrior, while Calathon begins to search through the cabinets, with Azkin's and Lehati's help, Turi guarding the door.

As they do so, the companions remark that the room’s walls are extremely thick and lined with wooden panels, thoroughly dampening sounds from outside. Calathon quickly understands the nature of this peculiar library: It is a Catalogue of Days, modeled off of Pharasma’s own Catalogue of Last Days. Yet instead of recording details of death and judgment, it instead provides a historical accounting of birth, marriage, and other joyous celebrations of life within Wati up to the time of the Plague of Madness. He realizes that with enough time and dedication, he could find the record of any birth in the city stretching back thousands of years, making this place an astounding discovery for anyone with an interest in the city's heritage.

While such scholarly pursuits are in progress and take time, both Grekka and Vershab notice some lights and shadows moving in their field of vision. It would appear that their eyesight is returning, little by little. Eventually, after a few hours of rest, they are back in the world of the seeing.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-10-01 at 08:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1058

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "The beheaded was Neferekhu. We were guarding her on Nebta-Khufre's behalf...There is nothing I do willingly. When your power over me recedes, I will fall back under that of my master."
    Vershab frowns at the skeletal champion's answers. "Alright, I hoped to gain more cooperation from you, but that appears to be impossible. Disappointing, but that is how things are.

Who was Neferekhu? Tell me about why her head was animated and placed in that cage. Then tell me about Nebta-Khufre - is that the 'master' to which you refer?
    " asks Vershab, leaning intently towards the controlled undead, his blind eyes staring into space.

As time passes without the discovery of restorative potions, Vershab says, "This is strange...I am beginning to see lights, shapes, vague images. It appears the blindness is starting to wear off. I did not expect that at all - usually blindness or deafness imparted by that spell is permanent, but this time it does not seem to be the case. After some rest, we should be able to continue...shall we rest more seriously, set a watch, and allow me to prepare new spells? I do not really know if we have the time or if this is a safe enough place to do that..."

9. - Top - End - #1059

Evenly, the skeletal champion replies to Vershab. The arcanist quickly understands that the undead isn't about to volunteer any information, but neither is he capable of resisting his commands in any way.

"Neferekhu was Nebta-Khufre's grandmother. She had oracular insights sometimes. That brought wealth to the family. Then she died. Nebta-Khufre animated her head and placed it here so he could continue to benefit from her prescience. She had visions of a golden mask and a god-king of the skies. Nebta-Khufre used her guidance to come here and find the mask, and the power to raise the dead.

But Neferekhu hated him and spat many insults. So he locked her up here, with us. He only comes when he needs to know about the future."

Behind the table, Calathon lifts his eyes from the sheaf of papers haphazardly spread over the beautiful mahogany surface. "This story seems confirmed by these writings over here." Indeed, a mass of journals in front of him, once examined, reveal the grandmother and grandson story in similar terms.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

After a few minutes, Grekka's sobs subside. Perhaps exhausted by the trials they have faced, or the emotional weight of blindness, she's willing to lie on the stone floor as Calathon and Azkin move about the room, spearheading the more scholarly pursuits, in light of Vershab's limitations. When Vershab speaks up about the lights and shapes, his words prompt another brief outburst from the woman, though a few minutes later, she stops suddenly. "I... I can see again, as well? Vershab, is it getting better?" At his affirmation, Grekka sighs, clearly relieved. It is still the better part of an hour before she's confident enough to stand. In the meantime, she sits and listens, curiosity warring with distaste for dominance of her attitude.

Awe uproots them both, as the state of things comes to light. "So this Nebta-Khufre is responsible for the undead outbreak throughout Wati? What kind of power must that mask hold?" She turns to the skeleton, opting for a more direct approach. "Where is he, when he isn't here?"

11. - Top - End - #1061

NecromancerGuy

Vershab turns to the skeleton again. "Answer her question, and then tell us more about Nebta-Khufre. What is he now? Undead, still alive, something else? How does he fight - with magic or weapons? Is he coming back? Tell us anything that could help us be ready to fight and defeat him when we find him," he asks, clearly thinking through the potential threat of this newly discovered enemy.

After the undead answers he carefully walks over to begin looking at the various writings, attempting to learn all he can from them while they wait for everyone to recover fully.

Show
    Knowledge check: (1d20)[5] (+17 for Religion, +14 for Arcana, +9 for all others)

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti listens to the skeleton's answers evenly, revulsion apparent in her expression at the story of a familial relationship between Nebta-Khufre and Neferekhu being poisoned by greed and death magic. Shaking her head in disgust, she returns her attention to the cabinets, leafing through papers in hopes of finding something more than records and documents to aid in their progress.

She perks up noticeably as Vershab mentions the improvement in his sight. "Favored we must be, for that dark magic to lose its grip on you! May the Healing Light illuminate your darkened sight, both of you!" She gestures with open palms to Grekka and Vershab alike.

Show
    Not in a position to think through questions for the skeleton, and it seems that Vershab and Grekka are doing that fine.

13. - Top - End - #1063

"Nebta-Khufre is a living person. He spends most of his time in the sanctuary below. Sometimes he goes out, then comes back, usually with undead servants who carry corpses for him. His mask holds the power of wake the dead and control them.

To vanquish him, you must be prepared to fight his undead slaves, and withstand his magic of death. "

As the skeletal warrior answers Grekka's and Vershab's questions, the others explore the room thoroughly, while Azkin and Turi take turns standing guard at the door. They soon realize that the walls and door of the library were designed for sound isolation, so what the group is doing can't be heard from outside - but whatever is happening on the other side of the door can't be heard by them, either.

Lehasti soon gives up trying to understand the birth records, all in Ancient Osiriani, but Calathon can assure her of their immense value, in a society so keen on ancestry and the veneration of the dead as Osirion's.

Exploring very thoroughly as well, Turi notices the magnificently sculpted mahogany table. It, no doubt, very valuable, but also extremely heavy. Searching further, he gets the satisfaction of discovering a cleverly hidden drawer, but is disappointed to find it empty.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-10-08 at 09:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1064

NecromancerGuy

"Is he a priest of some deity of undeath, or is he a necromancer?" Vershab asks, as he begins considering the options available in his spellbook...

15. - Top - End - #1065

"He carries symbols of many kinds, some on his skin and some as amulets. But he never prays."

16. - Top - End - #1066

NecromancerGuy

"Does he study from a spellbook? Are his tattoos obviously magical in nature? Does he use multiple amulets?"

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

Grekka watches the discussion eagerly, while Turi's is deflated. The irritated boy shuts the false cabinet, but the hollow thud of wood on wood doesn't meaningfully distract from the important conversation at hand. He storms out of the room, joining his brother standing guard in the hallway.

Grekka looks up. "You said he spends his time in the sanctuary below? How do we get there, and how does he defend this sanctuary? Does he employ traps, or rely more completely on his undead servants?"

18. - Top - End - #1068

"I have never seen him work on a spellbook. It don't think that his sigils have magical effects. He has a lot of amulets, for example holy symbols for most gods including the revered Ancient Ones. But he doesn't worship them.

He did not set up any traps, but there is one protecting the sepulchre, in the blue room. Nebta-Khufre gets past it by presenting a symbol of Pharasma. There is also a gardian, a big graven statue. This one doesn't attack Nebta-Khufre, although it should. I believe his symbol of Anubis protects him."

Meanwhile, outside, the bored Turi can't resist the urge to explore a bit further. He finds that the corridor goes around the library and another room of the same size, and notes the presence of stairs going down.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the interest of time, here is a bit of advance exploration.

Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-10-09 at 10:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Barbarian in the Playground

Calathon splits his time between studying the tomes in utter fascination and trying to also pay attention to the conversation between his god-son and the skeletal servant. His mind reels with all of the new information contained in the journals before him. The lineages and the explanations of everyday life from yesteryear. Wait until Minnothep sees this! I look forward to parsing through all of this with her and the temple of Pharasma. And then, of course, we can use this information to... His mind plays through all of the possibilities and his eyes glaze over from time to time, so absorbed in his studies that he is - perhaps unwisely forgetting his current location and the potential for danger there. As Vershab and Grekka regain their sight, he's pulled from his reverie enough to catch the conversation with the skeletal warrior in bits and pieces. "So, then we should find a symbol of Anubis and of Pharasma, is what I am gathering? Have we found such things here, or do any of you possess such items? I do not wish to endanger ourselves any more than we have to. This Nebta-Khufre sounds potent enough without having to whittle down our offensive capabilities beforehand."
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

Grekka grunts. "I don't have any such symbols, nor know where to get one handy- except maybe Nebta-Khufre's dead body." She scowls. Turning back to the skeleton, she asks what may be her last questions.

"How often does he come up from his sanctuary? Does he have any way of knowing that we've dispatched his oracle?"

21. - Top - End - #1071

When Vershab nods to indicate the skeleton should answer Grekka's question, he continues, with his neutral intonations: "He can stay inside for days at a time, and then go out for more corpses. He also comes here, to consult with Neferekhu, every three or four days usually."

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

Grekka's eyes narrow. "And when was he last here?"

Spoiler: Moving forward OOC
    Show
    So we have an awful lot more information. Does anyone else have input regarding how bets to move forward? I suspect we'll be rapidly approaching time to make it so.

In the hallway, Turi begins to inspect the doorways, his youthful curiosity and impatience overpowering the danger.

Spoiler: Exploration
    Show
    So Turi can vanish if need be, and is fairly durable regardless. If it will help move things forward faster, I'm game for him looking into any and all of the doors on the other side of the hallway. He's not reckless, so he'll be listening at the doors first, but otherwise (y).

(1d20+10)[15] perception
    (1d20+13)[25] stealth
    (1d20+7)[19] disable device (if applicable)

23. - Top - End - #1073

NecromancerGuy

"Hmmm, we are indeed lucky to have learned so much about our (likely) enemy..." Vershab says thoughtfully. "I am well versed in the religions of the area and can describe each of those holy symbols in detail. However, I am an academic expert, not a devout worshipper and do not carry any on my person. I agree that we would be well served to acquire some before we engage with obviously dangerous guardians."

Turning back to the skeletal champion he asks, "Where could we find more tools, treasures, weapons, or the like that will help us be prepared to fight Nebta-Khufre and his undead minions? Does he have a cache hidden in this room or anywhere else on this floor? Perhaps there are some holy symbols he keeps hidden here in case of emergencies - direct us to anything that could help us better defend ourselves and defeat him.

Oh, and if there are any traps or guardians that we should avoid, where are they? Help us avoid them too.
    "

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti gives an almost haughty look of disdain at the description of their apparent foe. “What a miserable scavenger, that he hides behind symbols of faith he does not possess to lurk behind the protection of defenses intended for the faithful of those gods. Were it not for his grosser crimes, I would almost pity him.” Giving little more than a scowl at the ongoing discussion (and completely disinterested in shuffling through more paper, despite Calathon’s eagerness), she sits, leaning heavily against a table and massaging her temples as the discussion continues.

Nearer the doorway, cracked from Turi’s exit, Azkin leans against the wall, the butt end of his spear tapping out with soft, dull thuds his discomfiture at his more adventurous brother’s sojourn.

25. - Top - End - #1075

Turi's soft steps are very silent as he goes around the corridor to check the remaining doors. The first one reveals another library, near-identical to the one the group is presently finding shelter in. Dark-stained wooden cabinets and shelves and a prominent cedar table fill much of the large, silent room.

The other set of doors on the opposite side of the corridor open to another large chamber, featuring sarcophagi and mummified creatures of every shape and size: Draft animals, quarry from hunts, and pets beloved in the Osiriani culture, especially cats. A mummified elephant dominates the crypt. Detailed murals and carvings on the walls depict a wide variety of beasts from the surrounding area and far beyond.

Meanwhile, Veshab completes his interrogation, revealing that the skeleton has likely shared everything he knows. Beyond the already mentioned graven guardian, he offers the name and description of Naghut, a woman half-orc warrior that came to Wati along with Nebta-Khufre, and eventually became a ghast as a result of her numia addiction. It appears that the Forgotten Pharaoh cultists who obey Nebta-Khufre take residence elsewhere, as his other servants are all undead, such as zombies and mummies.

Spoiler
    Show

The skeleton knows of no special cache or secret passage, and has no idea where the group could find more loot or help against his master.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Titan in the Playground

As the group finishes their questioning, Turi's light footfalls come rushing back to the library. "Hey, so... uh..." He interrupts the idle musings that mark the party's consideration of their immediate future with an awkward smirk. "So there's another room, just like this one," he nods his head to the shared wall, "right over there- no huge skeletons or nothing, but lots of cabinets and stuff, and you gotta see the other room! I never saw such a beast! It's huge, gotta be 10, maybe 12 feet tall!"

As he guides the rest of the party to the room full of apparently still-dead mummies, his excitement once again gives way to caution. Keenly aware of some of the potential risks and hazards, he almost skips with excitement, but keeps his voice and feet near silent as he gestures to the door he left cracked just a few moments before.

"See?" he whispers, eyes glittering in the torchlight.

27. - Top - End - #1077

NecromancerGuy

Vershab, satisfied with his interview with the skeletal guardian, orders it to help stand watch while the party finishes exploring the dungeon level and follows slowly, rubbing his eyes periodically to clear away the blurriness that still lingers. "We should search the other library for anything more that could help us. As interested as I am in genealogy, I think we may have exhausted what we can learn from the texts for now. Instead, if we can find a cache of holy symbols or other tools it would be good. Fighting tomb guardians is one thing - fighting them with a necromancer and a ghastly bodyguard around is quite another. We should ensure we have every advantage possible in place...including protective magic. Before we go downstairs we should refresh our enchantments," he says as he walks.

First looking upon the mummified animals, the arcanist nods appreciatively. "This is quite the menagerie - several of these creatures would be fearsome opponents in life - or undeath. They are somewhat indicative of the ancient Osirianis and their fascination with certain animals and the mummification process. Luckily, not all mummies animate, though we should be cautious as we continue to explore this room," he warns, scanning the space with a cantrip to detect signs of magical auras. "Stranger things have happened than to find treasures hidden in such a place, though I wouldn't be surprised to find the trapped or guarded. The mummified animals could even be animated without the use of necromancy - they would be more like a flesh golem in that case. As you search, do not assume these are inanimate and stick together."

Once in the other half of the library, Vershab begins a quick scan of the books, looking for any that look out of place or like they have received recent attention. He also begins opening desks deliberately, trying to do his part to search the room thoroughly.

Show
    Using Detect Magic throughout the spaces, I would have Vershab take 10 with a Perception check for a 22. If others join in he could take 20 instead for a 32.

Regarding the animals, is a +9 high enough on Knowledge (Nature) to recognize most of them? Do I need to roll for that to describe them to anyone interested?

28. - Top - End - #1078

A cautious exploration of the animal mummy collection reveals that they are only what they look like - mummified animals, which for some reason haven't been affected by the necrotic pulse. Should they animate, they would represent a frightful force, but, fortunately, they do not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vershab easily recognizes all the animals.

Calathon might spend hours in the second library, if he were not constrained in his enthusiasm by his companions. A quick examination shows that this place is called the Catalogue of Nights. Like its counterpart to the west, it is meant to invoke the Boneyard’s Catalogue of Last Days. It houses official records of every death within Wati for millenia, up to the Plague of Madness.

Vershab's magic detection spell reveals an aura within the massive cedar table. Having figured out the hidden drawer in the other library, Turi wastes no time finding this one, the exact same mechanism being in place. The ancient piece of furniture holds a reserve of scrolls, their papyrus brittle with age, but preserved by their magic so they are still readable.

Spoiler: Loot!
    Show
    Scrolls:
    - 2x Death Ward
    - 2x Restoration
    - 2x Remove Curse
    - 2x Mass Cure Light Wounds
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-10-17 at 09:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1079

NecromancerGuy

As the party looks through the menagerie of mummified mammals, Vershab points out each one to the boys as if teaching a lesson, describing the animals in life and their likely threats were they to be animated in undeath. "Many of these creatures would retain their attacks from life, but the real concern would be the size and how resilient they would be. Fighting off a human mummy or a living elephant would be difficult enough, but a mummified elephant? Such a monster could take many, many men's lives before it was destroyed. In the meanwhile, this great cat mummy would likely have its bite, both front claws, and a powerful raking motion with its hind claws if it were become any form of undead other than a zombie. We should be glad they have not animated with the rest of the city," he says, expounding upon the potential threats of the collection, should they rise from the dead.

The discovery of the various scrolls elicits a more enthusiastic reaction from the arcanist. "Excellent! While I am not the best suited to use any of these scrolls - due to their divine origins - they will prove significantly valuable in a battle against a necromancer. All of these spells are of significant complexity and likely beyond our abilities so far, but the scrolls make them possible for even an initiate to use! Who shall we have use them? It does not matter much, as long as they are imbued with divine power due to their faith..." Vershab says, looking expectantly at the clergy in the party. Once it is decided, he continues to describe the powers of each scroll's magic, explaining in detail how they each work and when they should be used.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    • I think the Death Ward charges should be used on someone likely to be targeted with such magic who is also likely to fail their saving throws. It is a powerful buff spell, so I hope we can use it at the beginning of the fight with the BBEG (7 minutes of immunity won't last long). I have not reviewed everyone's saving throw modifiers, but the lowest two most likely to be in melee range should get first priority, IMO.
    • Restoration and Remove Curse should be used post-combat after some party discussion, IMO.
    • Mass Cure Light Wounds should not be used offensively - Undead have high Will saves and may have further resistance to a burst of positive energy for piddly damage (1d8+9 HPs total). This is better for an in-combat "oh s***" heal for the party or after combat recovery.

Once all of the new scrolls have been handed out, Vershab lapses into comfortable quiet again, watching the others patiently.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cal looks at the menagerie of animals with undisguised interest. Some of them remind him of those from a long, long time ago, from a half remembered life before his servitude. He stares at the elephant and a great cat especially, remembering both from the forests of his long ago youth. An unasked question hangs on his lips, his finger poised on his bottom lip pensively. He shakes it off, and continues to look around.

In the other room, he sees the new texts and scrolls and dives into them with gusto, fascinated by the new information. He tries to correlate the information with the information in the previous room, trying to remember some of the names from the birth records and trying to match their obituary records. Especially, he's interested in the group's new foes and their familial history if it's present in the records.

Upon discovery of the magical scrolls, he barely gives them a glance. "Sadly, they're not my specialty. I think they're useful certainly, but I have no ability to make use of them." Then he returns his gaze back to the records for as long as possible before the group gets ready to depart.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Good to carry on!
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask