New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Least Favorite Member of the Order

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Strange that was the time I felt least connected with him. He completely ignored that she just admitted to trying to poison her husband and instead focused on how she ran away from what she described as an abusive relationship (admittedly it wasn't from the strips we saw but Durkon probably didn't know that) she was forced to marry into (It was a crossbow marriage). Of the two things to lecture her on and break up over he chose her running away over attempted murder.
    Yikes. I think I failed to catch that because we saw the strips, so I kinda forgot that Durkon probably wasn't privy to the same information. Of course, that would make it even more ridiculous to zero in on "freedom-loving adulterer"'over "attempted murderer" for a breakup motivation. That's rather unfortunate. I feel less sad for him now, which just drives him further into the "least liked character" slot.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not really a huge fan of Haley myself. It's not that I don't like her, because I do, but I've never really had much of a desire to see more of her. She just seems to sort of be there, and none of her arcs seem particularly interesting to me. That's probably just personal preference though, and I certainly won't try to convince anyone not to like her. From best to worst, I'd probably look something like this:

1) Vaarsuvius
    2) Belkar
    3) Roy
    4) Elan
    5) Durkon
    6) Haley

I like them all, though. I wouldn't want to see any of them written out of the story.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by acire View Post
    Yikes. I think I failed to catch that because we saw the strips, so I kinda forgot that Durkon probably wasn't privy to the same information. Of course, that would make it even more ridiculous to zero in on "freedom-loving adulterer"'over "attempted murderer" for a breakup motivation. That's rather unfortunate. I feel less sad for him now, which just drives him further into the "least liked character" slot.
    I cannot dislike Durkon for having an unyielding sense of morality. When I was about six I was convinced it was totally immoral to colour in a dot-to-dot puzzle after you had joined the dots. Dot-to-dot puzzles had one purpose and were not to be teleologically abused.

I like all of the order and it would be hard if not impossible for me to put them in any sort of order.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Elan would probably be my least favorite. He does get some funny jokes though, like when he took his clothes off to be invisible.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

For me it's gotta be Belkar.

Not because I think he's a bad character. He's not! But the rest of the Order have some really human flaw or struggle that I can relate to and want to see them overcome. Belkar's easily the funniest but I've never felt that type of connection to him.

Also, he's not my fave, but I really like Durkon. I wish he got more focus so we could get a more nuanced picture of him, but I don't think that's a problem with the character per se.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

To me, it changes over time. The problem is, I like characters who do stuff more than characters who think about what they have done. So, to me, V having his asides with Blackwing was the least likeable character. I also am not a big fan of character change when it's too strongly emphasized, to the point of overcoming action.

That's why my favourite character is Miko: she is so bound on movement, she end up doing all the dumbest things in a way that moves the plot and is coherent to her character. Plus, I like strongly polarized characters (in literature. IRL I'd call the cops.)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Loorg View Post
    So what's your least favorite character?
    Belkar all the way, hands down.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I think there is a big distinction between which member is one's least favorite character in the Order, and which member is one's least favorite person.

Belkar is a great character, but he's a horrible, horrible person. You wouldn't want to be around him IRL, and the fact that he might off you on a whim at any time wouldn't be the only reason. He'd not only be a mass murder, he's the type of mass murderer who make people who are opposed to the death penalty want to make an exception in his case.

Durkon is the opposite. IRL, he'd be an admirable person (though not necessarily someone you'd exactly like, because he'd be too stodgy and stiff for most people to want to just hang out with--though I guess Malack would disagree), but as a character, even with the recent character development, he's a bit bland.
    Strangely, while I agree with the statement in general here, I just cannot apply it to Belkar. He's by far my least favourite character not only in the Order, but also in the whole comic. And that's not because he's a horrible person. He is, but hey, my very favourite character in the comic is Malack and he's also really far from being a good person. Belkar does get character development, yes, but I just fail to be able to see him as a great character because to me he gets away with way too much when it comes to the consequences of his actions. The recent fall from the mountain demonstrated that again. He didn't even get a scratch. But it happened before as well - one of the biggest letdowns was comic #570 for me. But this of course might also be my very subjective opinion since I just dislike Belkar that much.

I actually really enjoy Durkon, though - maybe because he's the character I relate with the most. He's not my favourite, though, because I agree he's a bit bland. I actually find it difficult to really make a list because none of the Order-characters rank very high in my favourite characters list when it comes to the whole comic. I find myself liking most of them in certain plots far more than in others and it's pretty inconsistent, which is rare for me. For example, I really disliked Haley for the whole arc when Roy was dead, but really liked how she in the end handled Crystal and killed her for good. Sometimes I think Elan is awesome and funny and sometimes I think he's just acting like a moron. I liked V in the beginning, hated them after Azure City but now I'm pretty neutral because the interactions with Blackwing are just awesome. Really, the only consistent positions I can give are Belkar as my very least favourite and Durkon somewhere around place 2-3.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
    Belkar does get character development, yes, but I just fail to be able to see him as a great character because to me he gets away with way too much when it comes to the consequences of his actions. The recent fall from the mountain demonstrated that again. He didn't even get a scratch.
    Is that really a problem? His Feather Fall item made his scratchless condition totally unsurprising, and he had the item for a very believable reason.

I mean, yes, he didn't die, but he did lose the battle, fail in his mission, and almost die. I don't think he exactly got away scot-free from taking the risk he did (which wasn't a terribly unreasonable one to begin with - it's the sort of thing Haley could easily have done).
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Least favorite = Elan, easy. Mind you, I actually kinda like him now. Despite being dumb, he plays to his strengths -- he is skilled with people, brave, loyal and good. But I'm no fan of using stupidity to move the plot. (As you might imagine, this makes it hard for me to watch many episodes of the Simpsons.)

Then Haley -- hard for me to relate, but a fine character. Rogues are not my thing, I hate deceit. I just find it stressful AF.

Then Belkar -- I can relate to him a little, he's basically just an id on legs. He blows past peoples pretences, which I can appreciate.

Durkon is very much the PC I would play, and I can appreciate (while not sharing) his somewhat blindered approach to life. Thinking too much can be quite dangerous. Actually, Durkon and Belkar are kinda equal and opposite. Belkar is all id, Durkon is all superego. But they don't conflict much because Durkon's lawfulness is not the type that feels a need to tell other people what do.

Vampire!Durkon, however, I don't care for at all. If he counted he would be my least favorite, but he is not a member of the order.

Roy is, I think, the most 'heroic'. He makes mistakes, he learns, he grows. I totally root for him.

But V and Blackwing are just awesome. As V talks less, BW talks more. If Durkon is my PC, V is me. (I wish I had a talking raven familiar, too.)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Vaarsuvius because he's a mass murderer.
    Well, that's certainly different than every other member of the Order...
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Belkar is not my least favourite: he is firmly in really disliked.

He supposed to be comic-relief character, but his murderous, violence-based humour just doesn't do anything for me. His "character development", if it could be called as such, is minimal. At most it changed him from psychopath to be a sociopath instead: Still derive pleasure from violence, just on the victims that the rest of the party hates.

Haley rose quite a bit in my eyes in comic 570: She did what Roy should of done long before. As for "Keeping him around so that he does not do more damage" excuse: Just kill him like Roy killed all the other evil creatures. There are plenty of other combat-oriented characters that can be recruited without the overhead of Belkar's excesses.

My least favorite is Durkon. Purely because he had no character development and passivity.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lotana View Post
    Belkar is not my least favourite: he is firmly in really disliked.

He supposed to be comic-relief character, but his murderous, violence-based humour just doesn't do anything for me. His "character development", if it could be called as such, is minimal. At most it changed him from psychopath to be a sociopath instead: Still derive pleasure from violence, just on the victims that the rest of the party hates.

Haley rose quite a bit in my eyes in comic 570: She did what Roy should of done long before. As for "Keeping him around so that he does not do more damage" excuse: Just kill him like Roy killed all the other evil creatures. There are plenty of other combat-oriented characters that can be recruited without the overhead of Belkar's excesses.

My least favorite is Durkon. Purely because he had no character development and passivity.
    Same for me, Belkar all the way. He never face the consequences of his evil actions.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I don't get why people are so upset about Belkar not having any consequences to his Evil actions when they don't make such complaints towards Haley. Belkar may be a murderer (among other things) but Haley is a Thief and while Murder trumps theft on the sliding skill of evil, it is still evil. Not only that, but she stole from the party pretending loot she got never existed and scamming them into taking worthless pieces of rock as theor share of the loot. These are all acts of betrayal from which she suffered no karmic backlash. Haley is by far the wealthiest member of the party and not because she works more or made smarter investments (unless you count thief tools as a smarter investment ;) )

In the end these are just characters in a fictional world with rules and laws very different from our own. If 'Evil' is an acceptable choice (and certain gods aswell as the simple alignment system seem to imdicate that) then you can't exactly expect punishment for a crime well commited.

No my least favourite are simply the ones whose contribution to the story I find least interesting (with least in no way being an indication of 'bad') which would have to be V. More even than Haley (whose whole 'I can't talk routine' didn't interest me much) V's story is an internal struggle. It might not be quite as internal as Durkon (who is literally trapped inside of his own head) but the tension between him and the spirit is far more interesting than the simple debates between V and Blackwing.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    In the end these are just characters in a fictional world with rules and laws very different from our own. If 'Evil' is an acceptable choice (and certain gods aswell as the simple alignment system seem to imdicate that)
    The alignment system which states that players shouldn't play evil characters?

How do you figure Rich determined that Roy would be the protagonist, and Xykon the antagonist, of his overarching story, rather than the other way around? Did he flip a coin, perhaps?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The alignment system which states that players shouldn't play evil characters?

How do you figure Rich determined that Roy would be the protagonist, and Xykon the antagonist, of his overarching story, rather than the other way around? Did he flip a coin, perhaps?
    You are assuming that Roy really is the protagonist, I'm still convinced that in the final battle Xykon will win in such a way that we the reader realise that he was the true hero of the story all along ;)

Also the alignment system doesn't state that players shouldn't play evil characters, it only states that the non-evil ones are the 'standard' for players the other three are still very much open. Anyway my point simply is that the D&D world is a world where 'being evil' can be an active choice with literal actual divine GODS backing your choice. You cannot expect perfect karmic backlash from a story if it is set in a world where the not all creators agree on who should and who shouldn't be punished. The story has all kinds of criminal and do-no-gooders who get away with their crimes simply by aligning themselves with our heroes. I just think it is very silly to demand consequences for Belkar, especially when you single him out and make no comment regarding the other criminals who are regarded as heroes and thus also face no consequence for their actions

You may of course disagree that is the beauty of opinions.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Vaarsuvius takes my "least favorite" slot, but I still like him a lot. I particularly enjoy that he feels deep and genuine guilt (and fear) over his actions when spliced. The way he talks and makes understatements cracks me up. I root for him when he blows up bad guys (sometimes - other times I smirk at the overpoweredness, but that fact seems to be acknowledged and played for laughs in the comic, and even for character development).

I figured a lot of people would pick Durkon, though he's my favorite. I've always enjoyed the honest, dependable types of characters - I feel that type of thing is really underappreciated these days. And to the person who griped about him allowing his group to be taken to be executed - if I recall correctly, all they knew was that they were charged for crimes against existence and that they were being taken to Lord Shojo. Nothing about execution was ever mentioned. And considering that brought to light a threat against existence itself, can we really fault Durkon for wanting to go and learn more?

I have a love-annoyed relationship with Elan. I don't mind the foolishness so much as the silly way he talks sometimes - particularly when he uses the word "like" in a sort of "valley talk" way.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    You are assuming that Roy really is the protagonist, I'm still convinced that in the final battle Xykon will win in such a way that we the reader realise that he was the true hero of the story all along ;)
    That wouldn't prevent Roy from being the protagonist. The story mostly follows his view point, he's in vastly more strips than Xykon, his narrative arc dominates the story overall while the rest of the order tends to see focus mostly in one book, etc. Him dying at the end wouldn't change any of that, the same way that Walter White dying at the end of Breaking bad doesn't retroactively make the protagonist one of the more moral characters, or how Nameless's death at the end of Hero doesn't retroactively turn the emperor of Qin into the protagonist.

Back on topic: Elan. I still like Elan okay as a character, and there are some very good lines, but he's not up to the standard of the rest of the order.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's a toss-up between Haley, Belkar and Elan. But if I had to choose one... Haley. I'm sort of tired of her by now.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Right now my least favorite member is Haley, as she is the closest to an idealized character. No flaws, voice of reason, is a walking deus-ex-machina right now because she can pull any magic trick via a wand... meh.

It used to be Belkar because I could totally pass without the psychopatic "humor" he was the channel for. It actually diminished the comic IMHO. However after his developement into a less bitter leaf he has become interesting.

Vaarsuvius hit rock bottom with familicide, but she shown genuine terror when faced with the consequences of her action. And, really, an Elf being actually the least wise member of the party is a good subversion of the trope. Also she subverts the trope of the androgynous elf, as instead of being played for homophobic humor, it's actually played to make funny of the people who have a problem with it.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2016-03-22 at 05:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    It used to be Belkar because I could totally pass without the psychopatic "humor" he was the channel for. It actually diminished the comic IMHO. However after his developement into a less bitter leaf he has become interesting.
    Give credit to Mr Scruffy.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Right now my least favorite member is Haley, as she is the closest to an idealized character. No flaws, voice of reason, is a walking deus-ex-machina right now because she can pull any magic trick via a wand... meh.
    You misunderstand what a deus ex machina is (don't worry, you're in good company on these forums). Since it's been established that Haley is carrying wands, they're not unexplained or unexpected when she pulls them out. Not to mention that both times she has done it this far, they've haven't even been able to solve the problems she tried to solve. "Being the thing that solves the problem" is pretty much the most defining trait of a DEM, besides "being introduced out of nowhere". Also, a high level rogue having wands really isn't more of a DEM than a wizard being able to cast spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Best to worst:

1 Every animal ever.
    2 Belkar
    3 Elan
    4 That one hero in the arena
    5 Haley
    6 Everyone else
    7 Durkon

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Haley has no flaws? The woman who cons her teammates out of gold, is so obsessed with money that losing it literally took away her ability to speak, and couldn't tell someone she loved how she felt about him because she has so little self respect that she can't conceive of anyone loving her back has no flaws? Or do you consider these traits to be positive qualities?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Haley has no flaws? The woman who cons her teammates out of gold, is so obsessed with money that losing it literally took away her ability to speak, and couldn't tell someone she loved how she felt about him because she has so little self respect that she can't conceive of anyone loving her back has no flaws? Or do you consider these traits to be positive qualities?
    To be fair, Pilgrim said "right now," and I don't think anything you've described has happened for at least 600 strips. (Haley apparently still cheats at board games, though.)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

belkar, pretty easily. been waiting for the prophecy to put him out of my misery for a while now.
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    To be fair, Pilgrim said "right now," and I don't think anything you've described has happened for at least 600 strips. (Haley apparently still cheats at board games, though.)
    She's still very greedy, though. It isn't emphasized as much anymore, but on the occasions when she's talked about money recently, that fact's been made abundantly clear.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Halfling in the Playground

Elan. I get the least laughs out of his jokes and the least "Oomph" out of his actions.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

DruidGirl

As people?

I hate Belkar, which I am sure is intended.

Other than that, well, Elan behaved like an immature little **** at times (like when Roy was poisoned and paralyzed and Elan wrote insults on the wall behind him)

And all the male members of the OOTS drooled over Haley's wardrobe malfunction and her conversation with V.

And V really should'nt have committed genocide, but I have come to like hir more in the recent events.

There is no one I would consider a badly-written character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I cannot dislike Durkon for having an unyielding sense of morality. When I was about six I was convinced it was totally immoral to colour in a dot-to-dot puzzle after you had joined the dots. Dot-to-dot puzzles had one purpose and were not to be teleologically abused.

I like all of the order and it would be hard if not impossible for me to put them in any sort of order.
    I quite like Durkon, but his telling a victim of domestic abuse and rape (that's what she made him believe, after all) to return to her husband and be miserable, instead of, I don't know, telling her that murder is not the ethically correct way to solve such problems, was clearly wrong. Though that's one of those parts of the comic where I'm not sure whether we are to take things seriously. It makes no, or at least not much sense for dwarves to have a society where forcing women into marriage by threatening their lives is totes okay, but men are socialized to offer their wives foot rubs instead of raping them. While it is possible that her husband just happened to be a total sweetheart in spite of dwarven culture socializing him otherwise, such is unlikely, and it also clashes with the portrayal of Durkon's past, which does not contain any oppression of women that I remember.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    She's still very greedy, though. It isn't emphasized as much anymore, but on the occasions when she's talked about money recently, that fact's been made abundantly clear.
    Sure-- we just had a joke about it-- but even being greedy isn't much of a character flaw if you aren't actually doing bad things out of greed.