PirateGuy

Default Cult of Xantos(IC)

-
    -- Seeking mercenaries to investigate and eliminate a
    --- potential sect of the Cult of Xantos. Be advised, these
    -- cultists can be very dangerous, and their activities are
    -- often profane, and their worship always illegal. You can
    --- apply, or report any suspicious activity that may be
    -- connected to the Cult at any of your local shrines.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cult of Xantos. You've heard of them before, in a passing conversation in a tavern, or maybe at a priestly seminar. You can't exactly recall, but phrases like "Undead Worship", "Chasing Immortality" and "Ancient God" come to your mind. Whether reading a job post, or else receiving a more personalized plea for assistance, you find yourself before you know it at the Cult's doorstep with a handful of companions.

Then... Something happened.

You don't remember much about the last hour. Something about a cup on an alter, fighting a few cultists. You rub your forehead as you sit up, watching as others around you nurse their various aches. Nobody seems actually hurt, which is a good thing, you suppose.

"Greetings!" You here a deep voice calls from out of the darkness. Orc, maybe? "Welcome, my friends, to what I lovingly refer to as, the underworks."

A light turns on above you, growing slowy brighter, until finally the dim orange glow illuminates the room. You find yourself trapped inside a large, iron cage, the bars curved and intricately woven together. You automatically begin to search for an escape, but cannot locate so much as a hinge. The ground below you feels cold and smooth, as though made of ceramic, and an ornately drawn sigil filling the base of the cage.

What you correctly perceived as an Orc chuckles at your confusion. He wears a long, red, hooded robe, tied around the waist with a badly frayed rope. The orange light reflects off of his shiny, hairless head, and gives his teeth a bloodstained appearance. "Interesting. Five. Usually just one or two powerful souls is all it takes to make it through our decoys. But five? A bit overkill, maybe." His smile fades into a frown as he tilts his head, examining you closely. "Or perhaps, you are five because you are too weak of soul individually. Hm. Tell me, who are you, and where do you come from. Then, I shall determine your fate."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Cult of Xantos(IC)

Ashley re-positions her shield as she stand. I am Ashley Cooper, from the eastern border. What is this place, Ser?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Sagitor stands up, rubbing his head as he faces the orc. He leans against the cell bars in the orc's direction, a cocky grin on his face.

"How about this? You tell me why I'm currently in a cage, or..."

Sagitor pulls himself draws his longbow in one quick motion, nocking an arrow and aiming it at the orc's head. His grin does not falter as he aims.

"I'll put an arrow in your brain and see what memories I can pull out. Your choice."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Charisma (Intimidation): (1d20+1)[7]
    Humanized version of my first avatar made linklele.

Declared God of Chance and Creativity as well as Equestria's Master of the d20.

Quote Originally Posted by backwaterj View Post
    Love for the d12! Dudeons wins the game!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Thomas stands up, his head still aching. "Souls? Let's not be hasty, I like my soul." he comments, shooting a little acid at the bars on the other side of the cage from the orc, to see what happens.

Spoiler
    Show

Acid Splash on the bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

(I completely forgot I could do this)
    Ashley concentrates for a moment, using Divine Sense

Show
    One use of divine sense, which reveals any undead, celestial, or fiend within a 60 foot radius. I am aware of the type of creature. It also reveals any place consecrated or desecrated.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Noraldreck sits up rubbing his head.
    "By Clangeddin's beard what did I drink last night? The last time I felt like this was when Henet and me had that drinking contest with the Dragon Breath Ale."

Hearing the voice he jumps up and sees the orc. Seeming to know by instincts he reaches down for his shield and pulls out his battle axe.
    " Come down here and I will show you overkill green skin or are you to afraid to face the blade of one of Clangeddin's choosen. "

Looking around at the others in the cage, he lets out a curse.
    " By Clangeddin's short hairs! You've stuck me with a bunch of dandelion eaters. "

His mind starting to clear, memory returns.
    "LUCAN! What have you done with Lucan? "

A change comes over Noraldreck as he seems to settle into a stance and with a deadly stead voice say.
    "My name is Noraldreck Runeborn of The Shimmering Slopes. Remember it. Now what have you done with my friend."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Orc smiles again, clapping his hands together once in front of him and rubbing them together in what seems to be excitement. Aiden begins to speak, but he is cut off. "It seems there is some fight in you yet! Very good!" He looks to Sagitor, still smiling, but his eyes and tone betray a deadly seriousness. "I wouldn't bring that fight to me, though. Very. Very unwise."

He then turns his attention to Ashley, "I do like your manners though, and as you have honored me with your names, I see befitting to return the favor. At any rate, you aren't going anywhere til I give the word." He clears his throat, like sandpaper on stone. "I'm am known as the Caretaker. Here, you shall soon see a facility dedicated to the research of souls, specifically their power, the power in an individual. Usually, as I said before, we run this experiment with one soul at a time. But, fate has given me this first opportunity to see how bonded souls grow together, and for that, you are very lucky. Otherwise, you might have been dead already."

"Now, I will say this. You will die down there, eventually. I do ask that you take your time about it, though. I would hate to lose potential souls too early. And yes," He winks at Thomas, something you realize Orcs should never do for the way it twists their face. "you may like your soul, but I fear I and my Master have infinitely more use for it than you. There is no escaping your fate. And who knows, maybe you will have the honor of bringing us one step closer to discovering immortality."

With that said, he raises his hand in the air, and the ground beneath you begins to move, slowly descending into the depths of the earth like a great elevator. You hear the grinding of stone on stone, but you manage to catch a few more words over the noise. "By the way, I don't know who Lucan is, but given your individual weaknesses, my guess is he didn't make it this far. What a pity, as six would have been even more fun."

Spoiler: OOC Stuff
    Show

--Divine Sense--
    While you don't pick up anything specific within the radius, you feel a tug of evil coming from down below, a presence so abundant that it reaches out to you.

--Intimidate--
    Failed, unfortunately. :/

--Acid Splash--
    You can see out of the corner of you eye the Acid working into the metal, and it sizzles a little louder than you want. It looks like given time you could make progress.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

As the elevator starts descending, Thomas shoots a little fire, aimed in the Orc's face.

Show
    (1d20+5)[24](1d10)[7]

As the Orc gets out of sight, "So much for getting out." Thomas mutters to himself. "If anyone has a plan, now is a good time."
    Last edited by Eloel; 2016-03-08 at 12:43 PM.
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Noraldreck sets about checking his gear. Taking account of what, if anything is missing.
    "OK. I may not like your kind but then working with you can not be worse then that time I worked with the Orc of the Great Crevice against that stone giant tribe. I am not sure how we got here. Do any of you?"

Looking around at the others.
    " First thing we all need to know is what skills we bring to the field. Then we can start to plan. I am a Alaghor of Clangeddin Silverbeard, or what you might call a battle priest of the Knighthood of the Haft. I can call on Clangeddin to heal and enhance my allies or smite and bedevil my enemies, as well lay a good ol' fashion smack down on some people."

He awaits the others to reply with what they can bring to the field.
    Last edited by shadowmage; 2016-03-08 at 01:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

Well that could have gone better.
    I'm Ashley Cooper, a paladin of the holy church. I'm quite good with a sword and shield. Lets see if we can't prove this bastard wrong and make it out of here alive.

As she says this she draws her longsword and adopts a battle-ready stance
    Last edited by Bryconium; 2016-03-08 at 04:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Sagitor lowers his bow after the orc's response, puzzling over what he said. Once they descend, Sagitor turns to the others, standing tall and holding his bow over his shoulder.

"I am Sagitor Nightbreeze, the greatest archer alive," Sagitor says, smiling confidently, "You need an arrow somewhere, I can put there from any distance."
    Last edited by Dudeons; 2016-03-08 at 01:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thomas' firebolt hits the Caretaker squarely in the chest, and he stumbles back, caught off guard. "Fool." Is all he says, pointing a gnarled finger at the Half-Elf. Black flames surround Thomas, threatening to engulf him.

Spoiler: Hellish Rebuke
    Show

Thomas' Save (Dex)
    Save = (1d20+2)[11] vs. DC 17

Hellish Rebuke Damage
    Damage = (2d10)[12]

Thomas falls to the ground in a crumpled heap as the flames vanish, leaving his last sentence hanging in the air. He is incapacitated, but a quick look shows he is still breathing, and stable. At this point, the cage has descended to the point where the Orc is no longer visible. Only your companions, by the dim orange light, and the walls of stone around, can be seen.
    Last edited by Lazy_Hamster; 2016-03-08 at 01:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Looking at Thomas
    "Well looks like some of you will be of use. I hope you can do more then a few parlor tricks."

Noraldreck watches in shock as the black flames spring up around Thomas and he crumples to the ground.
    " By Clangeddin's short hairs! "

He rushes over to Thomas and starts to chant in dwarven, laying his hand on his chest. The twin silver battle axes on his shield seem to glow slight and take on a 3D loo, as healing magic flows into Thomas.

Show
    7+ 2(Wis mod) 9
    Last edited by shadowmage; 2016-03-08 at 01:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Magic pours out from Noraldreck, and Thomas' body takes on a soft glow as magical burns begin to heal. The healing fades when all the damage is undone, and Thomas is awake again.
    Last edited by Lazy_Hamster; 2016-03-08 at 04:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

The flames catch Ashley off guard as Thomas burns. She spins around to help but sees Noraldreck has already reached him. Instead she leans down to offer him some water.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Thomas thanks his brethren, slowly getting up and drinking some water. "Nope. Bad idea." he says, as he sits down, his head aching from his experience.

"So, yes. Wherever we are, whoever these people are, we should probably look to get out of here, and fast. Instead of fighting them, that is."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The Half-Elf offers a rather pleasent bow to his new companions. "Aidan Mistcaller, it is a pleasure to meet you. I can offer you my lute and my magic. As well as some more subtle talents." With a friendly smile he winks at the others, particularly the dwarf.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Noraldreck walks away from Thomas to study the walls passing trying to figure out what stone type it is and about how deep they are, as he does he tells Thomas.
    " Don't make me regret helping you. Of course we fight. "

To Aidan he says:
    " Ah at least are tale will be told when we get out here. I have fought beside your kind before. Our cohort drummer happened to be part of my squad. He could get us pretty worked up once he got beating on that drum, made me feel like doing the same on an enemies head."

Show
    Int(History) Stonework: (1d20+6)[20]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Show

Stonecunning
    You can tell the stone is non-magical, run of the mill mountain rock. The composition you see now reminds you of home, and you can tell that this shaft has been recently dug out. The moisture gathered on the rocks and their temperature gives you a good guess of between 400-500ft underground.

As the elevator slows, the stone is much, much older, as though the elevator shaft was dug into an already pre-existing tunnel.

At this point, the elevator begins to grind to a halt, revealing on opening in the stonework that leads to a small room, lit by a single torch. Stepping into the cavern, you see a large set of iron doors ahead, tall as three men and wide as six. The metal is rusted around the corners, with the faintest traces of a blue light poking through, but otherwise unremarkable and undecorated. Beside the door is a pull lever, and a large, nondescript chest with weapons of all sorts propped against it.

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Ashley heads over to the treasure chest, giving it a poke with her sword before taking a look at the weapons and trying to open the chest.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Thomas stands up, the world not rotating around his head anymore.

"Thanks. Noral, was it?" he says, grateful to the dwarf. He then follows Ashley off the elevator, standing clear of the chest but looking intently at it.

Show

Perception:
    (1d20+1)[12]
    Insight:
    (1d20+1)[7]
    Trying to figure out anything unusual

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't think I have ever seen such a obvious trap. Anyone wanna give it a poke?"
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

"If they wanted to kill us, the Orc was perfectly capable, he made that much clear." Thomas says, still standing back from the chest. "But not me, no, I've already nearly died once." he weakly and forcedly laughs.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Noraldreck joins Ashley looking at the weapons. Speaking to no one in particular.

" We are about 450 feet down give or take. You might not be able to tell the difference but this stone much older then what is above. I think we maybe in an older tunnel. Which could be good or bad. Probably means a better chance for traps to be around but I hope it also means another exit. Ashley what do you think of the weapons? Can never have too many back-ups."

Looking over at Thomas.
    " No it is Noraldreck, but I understand a need for a quicker name. I will not promise I will always respond to it outside of battle.

Looking to Aidan,, then the others.
    " Fine back up.

Setting his shield in-front of himself and using it for as much cover as he can, flips the chest open.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Aiden eyes the chest from a distance, nothing our of the ordinary catching his eyes. The wood is old, the metal on it faded. It looks well used, and none of the weapons by its side seem particularly ominous.

Ashley approaches the chest, sword extended before her, poking the chest several times. A few dusty splinters are knocked off, and a sword balanced against it clatters upon the stone floor, but other than that, nothing happens. Ashley and Noraldreck attempt to open the chest. It is unlocked, and the lid lifts with no resistance. Inside are an assortment of items. A quick glance reveals clothes, food, several bottles of liquid, and basic travel supplies. There also seems to be a letter tucked inside.

Spoiler: In the Chest
    Show

Around the outside, a long sword, a spear, and three javelins, propped against the wall.

Inside:
    --Two sets of traveler's clothes
    --8 days worth of rations, two flasks of water
    --Two bottles of an unidentified milky liquid
    --One bottle of orange liquid labeled "Strength of five men."
    --Unidentified scroll.
    --Climbing gear, including a 60' length of rope.

Also inside, a brief note.

"I hope you find these useful, adventurer. I would hate for you to perish before your soul has reached its peak! Remember, you are going to die, so make the best of the life you have left.

The Caretaker"

"Please.. Don't go in.."

A weak voice calls from the corner of the room, almost fully concealed in shadow. Even in the dim, you can tell he is in terrible shape. Slouched against the wall, legs out, is a human clad in half plate, his sword and helmet long since discarded and a flask in his hand. Closer inspection shows a mixture of water and blood on the floor below him, much of it seeming to seep out from his right leg. His face is deformed, appearing melted on one side. Out of his forehead, just off center, a horn protrudes, the skin around it torn as though the protrusion was sudden. By the way he moves his head when speaking, he appears blind.

"Please.." He calls again. "Don't give them your soul.."
    Last edited by Lazy_Hamster; 2016-03-09 at 02:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Thomas is alerted at the man's presence. "Who are 'they'?", he asks. "What do they intend to do with our souls?" he continues, before pausing for a second.

"Who are YOU?" he finishes, expecting a detailed answer.

Show

Persuasion (?)
    (1d20+5)[11]

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

What happened to you? What's in the Underworks? What is it they want?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Looking through the chest, setting aside items..
    " Some of this could be useful. This letter will prove useful for someone when they take a dump to clean up. The Food and water need to take. I guess I will be testing these out. I would not want to upset anyone else delicate Constitution. Strength of five men? Now if it was 5 Dwarves then I would be impressed, Ashley you should probably take this.

Hearing the voice from the side he looks up and sees the Human? but being more concerned by practical matters and seeing Thomas dealing with him, he goes back to the chest.
    "A scroll. I never trust trust things, never know when one might blow up in your face. I hope it is some use to one of us. Climbing gear, by Clangeddin I hope we do not need it, but I fear we will."

Having what he considers important set out he looks over to see what is happening with the human.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"What is up with everyone and souls in this place?" Sagitor asks. He walks over to the disfigured human.

"Also, what happened to you?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

The human shakes his head, overwhelmed by the questions. "Please.. Just don't go.." He shakes his head again, more frantically this time, as though trying to dislodge something. His hands shake, dropping the flask. He begins to mumble to himself, strings of random words. This goes of for several seconds, and then suddenly, he stops, looking up in your direction.

"I am so sorry." He says, his head moving from side to side, as though trying to address everyone. His eyes are white, only the faintest traces of color remaining. "I have been here so long, the corruption is taking me."

After another brief pause. "I am Sir Avery, Paladin of the Silver Hand. I came here many months ago. Trapped like you, I imagine. Sent down here so I can fight for my soul." He winces, a fresh wave of pain shooting through him. "Our souls don't belong to Xantos, they belong to our gods. I refused to go in, to play his game. So I have since sat here, warning others against giving their souls to him, while the corruption slowly takes me."

"Please.. Don't go in there. Stay, and keep your souls. I don't know what they use them for, and I don't know what lies beyond that door, other than death. But I do know, Xantos won't get my soul."