New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Erfworld Thread VII: No Consensus, Left Unsealed

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Well remember Parson started the turn in Spacerock.
    No, he didn't. And Stanley was already gone by then.

However if Charlie is half as smart as we think he is, he is has his casters (jojo, TF2 Engi) doing surveillance in the MK, while veiled Archons keep an eye on Spacerock and GK, you would not want to miss the chance to Ambush Parson if he ends his turn in that Corridor from GK to Spacerock that GK has set up.
    Charlie can't have any veiled Archons within 6 hexes of any GK city without paying huge fines automagically. We wasn't paying those fines, so they must not be any Archons near Spacerock. I already said that Charlie would have surveillance of Parson in the MK, but that would make it less likely that Charlie would notice Stanley when he flew away from Spacerock, not more likely.

Not that it matters, but Parson would have had no reason to enter the tunnel. The portal for GK (the city) doesn't work anymore because it's not a capital. GK (the side) has only one portal; it takes people to and from Spacerock.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-03-16 at 09:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

But we do know that Charlie keeps Veiled Archons "out in the world" so it is entirely plausable he knows that Stanley is not in Spacerock.

Also if you are planning an assault on your opponent's capital with the intent to Murder the crap out of the big boss man I would be keeping an eye on that capital so that I know the bossman is there.
    Sure, but with the treaty they cannot go nearer than 6 hexes to a town.
    That would be a ring of 42 hexes to watch around each city.
    Covering each of those hexes around Spacerock with say 2 Archons each
    would require 84 Archons.
    That seems a lot, given around 600 Archons to cover all of Erf.

Also, more scouts means more chances of them being spotted,
    and CC might not have wanted that, for the duration of the treaty.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

3. - Top - End - #93

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    No consensus. Deliberation ongoing.
    So there is no consensus as to what should happen to this thread name when the thread is locked.

But there is a consensus that the current name reflects the lack of consensus in the Great Minds (aka the GM) as well as the lack of consensus as to whether the thread should be named after Vinnie or not.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    So there is no consensus as to what should happen to this thread name when the thread is locked.

But there is a consensus that the current name reflects the lack of consensus in the Great Minds (aka the GM) as well as the lack of consensus as to whether the thread should be named after Vinnie or not.
    It's a very good name. Does a lot.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    It's a very good name. Does a lot.
    Yes, it's right up there with "We can't agree" or "I dunno". Truly the foremost bastion of wit and humor.

I'm just snippy my choice didn't win the vote. Ignore me.

6. - Top - End - #96

Update
    And it looks like Stanley got an even better deal then we thought

I can hardly wait to see these guys in action...
    and the faces of their opponents
    Last edited by hajo; 2016-03-18 at 01:59 PM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

7. - Top - End - #97

PirateCaptain

Except the guns aren't shockamancy...
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2016-03-18 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Re-wording

8. - Top - End - #98

Magnets.

My understanding was that most Archons didn't carry guns, only the ones in Charlescomm HQ? These would have been ones that were already in the field.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Magnets.

My understanding was that most Archons didn't carry guns, only the ones in Charlescomm HQ? These would have been ones that were already in the field.
    Now that their existence is no longer a secret, that is most likely going to change.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Stanley seems to be doing a fine job of promoting Juggleo morale.
    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Except the guns aren't shockamancy...
    I'm not sure that's an issue yet. The guns aren't widely distributed: they're all kept at Charlescom (until the MK invasion). From all I can remember seeing, none of the field units would have them.

The issue then (it seems to me) would be whether archons could reach Stanley's present position, or his path back to Jetstone, from Charlescom in two or three turns.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-03-18 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

11. - Top - End - #101
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    The issue then (it seems to me) would be whether archons could reach Stanley's present position, or his path back to Jetstone, from Charlescom in two or three turns.
    I worry that with this newfound knowledge, Stanley won't be returning to the safety of his cities...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Treebeer! I love it! I almost burst out laughing as soon as I saw the name.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Treebeer! I love it! I almost burst out laughing as soon as I saw the name.
    I admit, I'm at a loss. The closest I could find was this?

Stegyre: not getting the joke since 1966.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

14. - Top - End - #104

I admit, I'm at a loss. The closest I could find was this?

Stegyre: not getting the joke since 1966.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treebeard

But with more partying.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

eek Re: Erfworld Thread VII: No Consensus, Left Unsealed

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I worry that with this newfound knowledge, Stanley won't be returning to the safety of his cities...
    Ow dear.. Guess who has the most Isengard signamancy now..

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Are the fireworks metaphorical?

Or could they capture Jetstone (or any other city he headed to) before he got there? Jetstone's tower was already worried that it was poorly defended.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    And yes, that's another potential problem. Charlie might have more than 3 turns to assemble an attack on Stanley if Stanley feels safe enough where he's at. The text said, "He'd planned to march these clowns to Spacerock over land..." but I think may have only referred to the fifteen of them that were promoted to knights and were supposed to go to Spacerock all along. The rest of the JEs would remain in the field wrecking things under the original plan. Maybe the plan changed once Stanley got the message from Sizemore, though. And Stanley did say, "Assuming we make it through our next turn..." as if he knew that they were in considerable danger where they were at.

The picture at the bottom should be after GK's turn, but I can't tell if they moved or not.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Seems to me that there's a likely twist I haven't seen mentioned. Namely, that Charlie doesn't give a rat's tail about Stanley and only opposed Gobwin Knob because of Parson. Parson is now MIA and (hopefully) Charlie doesn't know where, just that he escaped. The big C has a lot of damage control on his plate right now to worry about a tiny tyrant who has lost all of his key assets. Everybody is assuming Stanley is on the hit list because nobody in Erf considers anyone (even a chief warlord) to be more important than the Overlord.

Just imagine him looking up at the sky just waiting. And waiting. And waiting...

"Welp. I'm bored."
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2016-03-18 at 04:44 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    No, he didn't. And Stanley was already gone by then.

Charlie can't have any veiled Archons within 6 hexes of any GK city without paying huge fines automagically. We wasn't paying those fines, so they must not be any Archons near Spacerock. I already said that Charlie would have surveillance of Parson in the MK, but that would make it less likely that Charlie would notice Stanley when he flew away from Spacerock, not more likely.

Not that it matters, but Parson would have had no reason to enter the tunnel. The portal for GK (the city) doesn't work anymore because it's not a capital. GK (the side) has only one portal; it takes people to and from Spacerock.
    My mistake, however it doesn't really change the tactics.

Parson is in 1 of 2 places, Magic Kingdom or Spacerock

Charlie doesn't need to have archons in MK spying for him he has Jojo and TF2 Enginer guy.

and "Can't have Archons within 6 hexes of GK cities" just means he has them 7 hexes away, I also wasn't talking about the Tunnel in the Magic Kingdom I was talking about the Corridor That Ansom made going from GK lands straight into SpaceRock.

Of course, Charlie spying upon GK and knowing that Stanley is in the field is a tad moot with today's update.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Seems to me that there's a likely twist I haven't seen mentioned. Namely, that Charlie doesn't give a rat's tail about Stanley and only opposed Gobwin Knob because of Parson. Parson is now MIA and (hopefully) Charlie doesn't know where, just that he escaped. The big C has a lot of damage control on his plate right now to worry about a tiny tyrant who has lost all of his key assets. Everybody is assuming Stanley is on the hit list because nobody in Erf considers anyone (even a chief warlord) to be more important than the Overlord.

Just imagine him looking up at the sky just waiting. And waiting. And waiting...

"Welp. I'm bored."
    The thing is, that tiny tyrant without his key assets is still in charge of paying for the upkeep of said assets (Leaving aside for the moment that I'm pretty sure prisoners get their upkeep paid by their captors). Charlie can't find his primary target? Nuke the side, see how long Parson can genius it up when he has the daily struggle of keeping upkeep paid on himself and whoever was stacked with him at the time.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    I can hardly wait to see these guys in action...
    Might want to take a closer look at the last picture. Third guy from the left.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    The thing is, that tiny tyrant without his key assets is still in charge of paying for the upkeep of said assets (Leaving aside for the moment that I'm pretty sure prisoners get their upkeep paid by their captors). Charlie can't find his primary target? Nuke the side, see how long Parson can genius it up when he has the daily struggle of keeping upkeep paid on himself and whoever was stacked with him at the time.
    But that would be costly. Super costly. Nuking the side by chopping it's head off will be a one time cost. If you keep blasting the side it's a ton of money each time which will let them pay upkeep regardless of having their cities hit over and over and over. It's a really bad idea to do a protracted war with the side you've got a truce against when that side can just sit and play defense and throw the money you're giving them back at the offense.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The big C has a lot of damage control on his plate right now to worry about a tiny tyrant who has lost all of his key assets.
    A lot of that damage control would consist of capturing Spacerock and getting the guns and killing anyone that Bonnie talked to or who might know what she said. That will be very expensive. Charlie will want to get his money back back by killing Stanley.

Do we know what will happen to Parson, Maggie and Jack if Stanley is killed while they are prisoners? Do they count as being out in the field? I think they would just become side-less, but I'm not certain. Transylvito is paying their upkeep, so that wouldn't be a concern.

Everybody is assuming Stanley is on the hit list because nobody in Erf considers anyone (even a chief warlord) to be more important than the Overlord.
    I think that's an absurd statement to make. Do you have any basis for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    But that would be costly. Super costly. Nuking the side by chopping it's head off will be a one time cost. If you keep blasting the side it's a ton of money each time which will let them pay upkeep regardless of having their cities hit over and over and over. It's a really bad idea to do a protracted war with the side you've got a truce against when that side can just sit and play defense and throw the money you're giving them back at the offense.
    I thought Neo|Phyte was saying pretty much the same thing. I think he meant Parson by "primary target," not Stanley, if that's what you were thinking.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-03-18 at 06:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post

I thought Neo|Phyte was saying pretty much the same thing. I think he meant Parson by "primary target," not Stanley, if that's what you were thinking.
    Neo|Phyte can certainly clarify but we agree. Parson is the Primary Target. Neo|Phyte is saying, and again he can clarify if I'm wrong, that if he can't get Parson he's going to go after Stanley and the side.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Spamalot in the Playground

I believe it has been mentioned that Parson has a really high upkeep. So Stanley is a viable target...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tokay View Post
    Might want to take a closer look at the last picture. Third guy from the left.
    Tolkien never described how elves breed. Now we know!
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Tolkien never described how elves breed. Now we know!
    We know they can have children with humans so they've got to do it like we do.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    We know they can have children with humans so they've got to do it like we do.
    Not necessarily. Kif from Futurama for example can have children with humans and in his case that works very differently.
    (Not that he qualifies in any way as a elf...)
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I sadly only just realized the magnet miracle poles are a reference to the f***ing magnet song.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

I was sort of expecting the Juggle elf advantage to be that their leadership is less centralized, so CharlesComm wouldn't be able to take them over the way he did with other natural allies.

I like this better, though.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I sadly only just realized the magnet miracle poles are a reference to the f***ing magnet song.
    The song is called Miracles.