New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart of Stone

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Heart of Stone

This is the thread/forum where we will be playing our game, oh great and mighty DM Nicholas. :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Heart of Stone

After a heated argument with your father about your future and in a moment of impulsiveness, you packed up your gear and persuaded the leader of a caravan that was just leaving the temple to allow you to join them. You agreed to work as a guard as payment. The caravan is on its way to Dalkin, the capital of the kingdom of Dalkinia. They plan to make two stops along the way, one in the town of Clearwater and the other in the town of Orindal.

You have been to Clearwater a few times before to procure wool cloth, the town's primary export, but have never had need to travel farther than that from the temple. Orindal you know as a producer of meat and leather.

Dalkin is a city of legend, sitting atop a huge mesa rising 1000 feet above the surrounding planes. The mesa was raised by a group of powerful mages in the distant past. The only path to the city is within the mountain and protected by a 10-foot thick stone gate. The sides of the mesa are smooth and unbroken, making scaling it impossible.

The caravan is comprised of half a dozen burly men who work as cargo handlers and guards, a wagon driver for each of the three wagons, and Misha, the owner of the caravan.

You have been on the road for a day and a half and are expecting to reach Clearwater in another 2 days.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

During the first day of the trip Victor had kept relatively quiet as he walked in pace close to the front of the caravan. A few politely worded inquiries rewarded him with the name of the caravan master, Misha, and the nature of our cargo, a supply of metal, furs, leathers, cloth (mostly wool), along with tools and trinkets for crafting jewelry and the results of that crafting.

Knowing this to be a valuable haul, Victor became more mindful of his position as a warder of the caravan, and spent the next half-day gauging the strength and ability of the caravan workers/guards. It quickly became clear to him that, just as it had been in the Silver Aegis, that Victor was stronger and heartier than most, if not all, of them. With that clear in mind, he takes up the habit of patrolling the length of the caravan, walking the length of it up and down on each side, keeping a careful eye for any potential dangers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The other caravan guards all have experience, mostly from the last war, but none are career soldiers. The unofficial leader of the guards is a grizzled dwarf called Stannic, a no-nonsense greybeard as tough as nails.

Through casual conversation, you learn that Dalkin is the end of this caravan's route. Misha travels around trading good from Dalkin, picking up more goods from the towns he visits to sell and trade once he returns to Dalkin. Misha typically rests in Dalkin for a month or so before heading out again.

The route the caravan travels is well-patrolled and as safe as can be expected, with the rare confrontation with bandits. The guards are fairly relaxed, but make sure to remain alert lest Stannic reprimand them (usually with a cudgel).

As the caravan pulls into Clearstream, you are told that you must either pay for your own room at the inn or you can sleep with the wagons. All but Misha choose to sleep with the wagons. As soon as they are settled for the night, everyone heads to the tavern. You are told Misha will wait until morning to start his dealings and they will likely leave in a day or two at the most.

What do you do once you reach Clearwater?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"A day, maybe too? I didn't sign on to stand guard over wagons in a yard. I'll find some work if I can, and I'll be back by evenfall." I smile broadly at Stannic in hopes of taking any sting from my words, and set off with my kit to see if I can find a jobs board or something similar, looking for an adventure to fill my day.

**If we arrived too late for exploring, I sleep under a wagon, and do this in the morning.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-11 at 07:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The caravan arrives around dinner time, so you have a few hours to explore before dark. You don't find anything like a jobs board and the only work you hear of by talking to the locals is labour work on the farms.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Feeling frustrated and a little depressed, I walk back to the tavern and find the emptiest table to sit down at, waiving over a waiter to order a serving of dinner and a glass of water. I don't particularly meet the eyes of anyone, though my size, stature, and weapons may draw the eyes of the inhabitants.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-11 at 09:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

When you walk into the tavern you see a few of the men from the caravan. They waive to you to join them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The open greeting of his fellow guards puts a smile on my face, my amethyst eyes sparkling. "Thanks, friends!" I say as I take a seat with them. "This is definitely more comfortable than a rock or stump by the wagons, for sure. Tell me, how long have you all worked with Misha?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"You've got that right. A warm room and a nice fire always makes the ale taste better!"

One of the men calls for more ale.

"Most of us have been working for Misha for years. He's a good man to work for. His caravan route is fairly easy; only a few spots were you gotta be mindful of bandits. It can be hard to be away from me wife and wee ones for so long..."

The others nod.

"... but in the other hand, it's nice to be away from the wife and wee ones for so long!" The table erupts in laughter.

"So what made you want to give up the soldier's life for guarding a merchant wagon? We're not judging, mind. Most of us fought in the war. I'd rather face bandits that enemy soldiers any day."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just so you know, the war that he is referring to ended almost 15 years ago. It was a bloody mess that spanned a generation and it was fought between Dalkinia (the kingdom you are currently in) and Borisham. The Temple of Ireal you were at was built on the border of these two kingdoms.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"I was never cut out to be a soldier. Sure, I can stand in line like anyone else, and hold my shield and swing my sword like a good soldier. My style of fighting it more fluid I move I over around my enemy's defenses and strike hard enough to make him regret fighting in the first place. Truth be told, I pity any bandits that try Misha's caravan now that I am on the job." I take a drink of water to wash down my pride, and tuck into my meal.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-12 at 09:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The others laugh and raise a drink with you. A few of them start sharing war stories.

Roll a Listen check.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Listen check: (1d20+6)[10]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Something from the table behind you catches your ear.

"... swears it! My cousin hears it from his wife's best friend who heard it from her brother who saw it for sure. A lady came floating in like a feather on the breeze. Weren't no ghost, neither. People was goin' up and touchin' her!"

"Dang it, Thek! I keep tellin' you, it's just some two-bit wizards takin' advantage of dimwits like you. Why, I heard there's a man south a Dalkin what stands in fire when he preaches. Don't mean they're our noble ancestors or whatever nonsense they be claiming."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I turn, my chair scraping on the wooden floor.

"What is this I hear, some strange floating lady? That's odd for sure! What did this strange floating lady do?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You see a pair of farmers chatting over an ale. One of them turns to you.

"Have ya not heard? There is an angel or spirit or some such up north going around and saving people from their wicked ways!" The man's eyes are alight with wonder.

His friend snorts. "Ya, and all ya have ta do is give her all your worldly possessions, ain't that right Gred?"

"Not all yer possessions! Just yer baubles." Gred turns back to you. "She teaches that such fancy things are tools of evil! Always distractin' ya from the important things. Don't seem to much to ask for ta me to give up yer fancy clothes and rings and such."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I raise an eyebrow at this explanation, and gaze piercingly at the farmers.

"All their valuables, is it? For their salvation. And the woman flies? Mighty strange indeed. And what happens if they refuse the donation?"

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (1d20+1)[13] History
    (1d20+1)[4] Religion
    Trying to see if I've heard of this before, i.e. Cults.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"From what I hears, if you don't give up your trinkets and baubles you just don't get to hear the words of wisdom of this great lady. I hears that her words bring peace and enlightenment."

"Don't listen to old Gred. He'll believe anything and take it for truth."

This doesn't really sound like anything you are familiar with. The most logical conclusion you can come to is exactly what Gred's friend said. The lady is some wizard scamming people.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well then, Gred, maybe I shall just have to go and see this wonder worker myself. And you, Threk, did you not speak of a preacher who stands in fire? Is this truth or nothing more than a tall tale?"
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-15 at 06:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Gred looks smugly at Thek when you take him seriously.

Thek "In my experience wizards have better to do than toy with us common folk. I expect both are not more than chartitans. Or someone got real proper drunk and convinced everyone he seen something real. I don't believe nice of it less I sees it meself."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wizard or not, charlatan or not, people should not be robbed of their possessions only on the promise of some reward in the ever after. I believe I should look into this." I think to myself for a moment, then nod decisively. Pushing back the empty plate that once held my dinner, I stand from my seat, dropping a hand to Stannic's shoulder as he moves past.

"I have a need to speak with Misha on this matter. Enjoy your rest and your ale, friends." With that, unless someone stops me, I move up the stairs to the rooms and rap my knuckles on the door to Misha's room (I would have paid attention to where he was sleeping, as guarding his person is part of my agreement).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You rap on Misha's door.

"Come in"

You enter and see Misha sitting at a small folding desk going over something in a large book.

"Ahh, Victor. What can I do for you, son?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have heard a rumor of trouble in nearby villages, one to the east and the other to the west. I have an urge to investigate the one to the east, where they say some flying prophet is having the farmers hand over their valuables in exchange for salvation." my tone and face darken towards the end of that sentence, as though the thought of exchanging money or valuables for a favorable afterlife is distasteful.

"I would like to beg your permission to take a temporary leave from the caravan so that I can investigate, and then meet you again towards the next town." I pause, somewhat embarrassed. "I would also need to borrow a horse if possible, that I might travel with sufficient speed as to catch up with you."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Off chasing adventure so soon? I supposed I'm not surprised. I might be able to spare a horse and I trust you to return it, but I cannot let you have one for free. I'm a business man and I must protect my property."

Misha notices your amulet.

"That is a fine-looking stone you have there. I've not seen anything like it. I may be willing to trade you a horse for it."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

My hand comes up and traps the stone in my fist, holding it tightly to my chest.

"This was a gift from my mother, and I will not give it away, nor trade it. I have a few gold left if it is a matter of paying for the use of a horse. I am not asking to keep it, for certain. You could even say that you could take the value out of what you had offered to pay me at the end of the journey, should I not return with it."

I think for another moment, but not overly long. "I could also offer you my services, to one task, so long as that task is not of evil or foul purpose. I do not see you as one who would request such, but many are the stories of fools who offer freely without being wary."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"A pity. I know someone who would likely have paid handsomely for that amulet. But I'll not try to talk you into giving up a family heirloom."

Misha thinks for a moment.

"I'm not sure I would have use of your skills other than as a guard, but I like you so lets make a deal. I can rent you a horse for, say, 30 gold. If you return the horse unharmed, I will return 10 gold to you."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I relax my grip on the pendant. "Thank you, I appreciate your candor. Certainly the use of a horse for a few short days, with my sworn oath that it will be returned, is something that should not have such a dire cost. A confident merchant such as yourself can clearly see that ten gold is more than worth the time taken with the beast, and for the trouble I would ask for nothing back."

I look sincerely into his eyes. "My word is worth me weight in gold, Misha, and I am not a light man."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Roll me another Diplomacy check. The first one made him willing to part with a horse. Now lets see how good your bargaining skills are.
    Last edited by KhornetheGrim; 2016-03-18 at 12:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+6)[8] C'mon Diplomacy!