New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Could use some help fleshing out a Campaign Idea: D20 Modern

So let me start off by saying that I'm a huge d20 Modern fan. I don't know why, but I love it. I realize the system is old, I realize it wasn't all that great mechanically, I just, I just can't explain it, I love it.

I've tried to do a few campaigns in the past, but they never got terribly far. I think the highest I ever reached with my players was level 5 or 6. But now I have a few friends who might be interested in a game, and I'd really like to make it great.

Let's start off with what I want: I'm a huge fan of cheese. I like anime, and I like computer RPGs. I like big, over the top action and plots and big damn heroes. And I like urban arcana (which I realize rarely contains any of those, but hey, those are the things I like.) I'm into conspiracies and wacky sci-fi magic in a seemingly real world. Like, it's the real world, but when you pull back the thin veneer of complacency, stuff gets really wierd.

My plan is for an urban arcana game.

The setup: The world of the PCs is basically like the modern world, with the exception that that world 'phases' in and out of alignment with magic. Each phase lasts about 20 years, before the world is 'out of magic' again for another 80 years or so. When magic enters the world, it does so subtly, with most people not knowing what is going on. Sometimes creatures from other realms manage to find their way to earth, but most people don't notice. A kobold is just a street thug, or an ogre is just a giant of a man who's super hairy. It takes seeing stuff truly impossible to pull the blindfold off, and then you can see the world for what it really is.

The US government is aware of this trend of magic ebbing and flowing, and has established department 7 to minimize the damage from this particular cycle of 'high magic.' However, the magic is coming on much more quickly, and strongly, than it has before. The PCs are new initiates of department 7

The Plot:

My basic idea is that a cabal has seized the opportunity to of this shift to basically try and take over the world, but subtly. The group (I tentativly call them the four swords) are composed of four branches. The Magic and Technology branch, a PR/spin-doctoring branch, a support/espionage branch, and a PMC which acts as the group's muscle.

The heads of this cabal are basically using the early jump on magic to subtly influence the world so they can take it over. The Magic/Technology branch uses makes stat-boosting items to make their scientists basically the smartest people on earth (allowing them to make giant leaps in technology) as well as making their PR people the most charming people on the planet, etc. Any information they need, they can acquire through the espionage branch, and if things get really hairy, they have their own army to defend themselves.

Essentially, what I want to have happen is that the PCs climb the ladder of the conspiracy. Starting off small by investigating, then taking down the PR branch before finding clues and moving on to the other branches, essentially taking five levels or so per branch, until they reach the top with the magictech branch.

The big plot spoiler will be that the Magictech branch has basically opened permanent portals to other worlds, allowing magic to seep in much faster and (theoretically) preventing earth from ever loosing its magic again. They also have advanced sci-fi like weaponry and arcane magic at their disposal.

What I'm looking for are ideas to flesh out the campaign. I have ideas for some of the leaders, and what kind of quests I can run, but I feel like I need more. There's plenty of stuff I want to incorporate, but I can't figure out how to fit it all in, and I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Could use some help fleshing out a Campaign Idea: D20 Modern

Really? No one gonna help me out here?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Degausser View Post
    Really? No one gonna help me out here?
    What you have sounds like a pretty standard Urban Acrana setup.

As for adventures/missions I'd draw on the monster of the week/evil dude of the week from shows like Agents of SHIELD, or Supernatural. You can start with a bug hunt, only to find the bugs are the ones being hunted, by normal people that found out about the shadow world.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I realize that the general idea is kinda stock, that's why I'm asking for help.

I need ideas for the four swords to be enacting, things that they are doing. I like the idea of a bug hunt, but I want to work it into the overarching plot. Maybe the bugs, dangerous as they are, can be harvested to make a mind-effecting drug that make people more susceptible to suggestion?

I was thinking that the first mission involves a defector who has been leaking information to department 7. The four swords try to track him down, but he gets killed first, and they have to then find his stash, all the while they are pursued by the Four Swords cleanup crew.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think the coolest way to set up episodes is to take a thematic story or location and start to building on it. These areas are easy to tap into magic power, so when the Scooby Gang shows up to the House of Usher, Old Man Jenkins is actually Fish Man Jenkins.

This allows a genre savvy party to start expecting certain plot lines, become more clever with planning and just when they think they really have it figured out...sucker punch them with a surprise. These werewolves aren't Lon Cheney, they're Lycaon. Build up interesting personalities as mini bosses and opponents. Find reasons the party can't just smoke them for ****s and giggles ("Now on News Nine, Local TV Anchor Ted McSmile killed in gunfight" makes for a lot of paperwork). Put random weird elements in (and then... STORM SHADOW APPEARS) that are fun and thematic but really silly. And when the party kills these people, they can never find the damn body.

Pick modern legends as enemies. Charming Serial Killer. Evil Lawyer. Shady Politician. Make them look and feel bigger than life. Ask your players to let monologues happen.

"OK, everyone remember when Monica dated an optometrist(Tom Selleck) on Friends? That guy stands in front of you, the good guy facade fading away as he speaks in depth about how he and only he has perfected his new VISION. {a laser shoots from both of his eyes as he speaks} His glasses fall to the ground as he says "They called me FOUR EYES. Now the FOUR SWORDS shall rise""

A good conspiracy should make everyone worry anyone and every could be One of Them. Characters an orphan raised by his grandma? She was sacrificing chickens in the basement for the Order of Thull.

Hope some of this helps!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla2038 View Post
    "OK, everyone remember when Monica dated an optometrist(Tom Selleck) on Friends? That guy stands in front of you, the good guy facade fading away as he speaks in depth about how he and only he has perfected his new VISION. {a laser shoots from both of his eyes as he speaks} His glasses fall to the ground as he says "They called me FOUR EYES. Now the FOUR SWORDS shall rise""
    Anything that involves evil laser vision Tom Selleck has my vote.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Have a point of course bract that runs a food truck. He uses a fire elemental to keep his grill going. Hint but don't tell the players what exactly it is.

Such as the grill doesn't have a plug. He'll just say he is using magic, if pressed a magic item.

Culminating in the fire elemental escaping at one point and trying to burn down a building.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"