New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. V: You Joined the Cavalry.

Anyway, in all the shows and movies where the mutant/inhumans were being forced to register, this is an obvious metaphor, but I can't help seeing the difference, and I usually for the side of the pro-registration.
    Regardless how they try to make them racist jerks, they do make valid points that are relevant to people with super-powers unlike what the metaphor represents.
    For example, I find it weird that I'm not allowed to carry nail clippers on an airplane, but someone who can literally burn the thing in seconds will be allowed without any issues.
    Same things when you consider laws regarding concealed weapons. It's not their fault, but it's also something that should require some sort of licence and regulation.
    Yeah, this is why I generally don't like this plot, the writers seem to get a wire crossed between minorities and powered people when they are fundamentally different situations. That's when you get speeches about how discrimination is about people fearing what they don't understand and
    Spoiler: X Men DOFP END spoiler
    Show
    Magneto ripping open the White House with his eyes closed in the same story.

Spoiler: Skye's plan
    Show
    It wasn't that complicated, it involved swiping someone's ID, editing it, and then plugging a flash drive into the server. I'm willing to let it go, but I think it's likely that the show will be using the failure to discredit the idea of keeping a list at all, and probably SHIELD itself that isn't directed by Coulson.
    Last edited by Sapphire Guard; 2016-10-25 at 01:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Sure, she is the boss, but the man she game the device to isn't.
    Which means there are at least several of his rank that can just insert an untested USB to the computer without anyone checking it first.
    Multiply that number by somewhere around 10-20 to people who work under people of his rank, that can do the same thing with some stealth.

As for Jemma's action, I didn't think it was so smart. if the program she gave him is ever detected, it can be traced back to her, and in the way she approached the employee, she can't even claim that she was forced to do this.
    Would it be traced back to her? There was no chain of possession documentation in that scene. Trying to trace it back, at best they'd only know that it initiated on X computer at Y time while Z was logged on. Z would then need to account for their actions. If they managed to remember what the were doing at that time, they'd need to remember which thumb drive they were loading, who gave it to them, and (if it changed hands after Jemma), the entire chain would have to remember who gave it to them. The end result is a chain of undocumented word of mouth.

If Jemma gets caught, it's far more likely to be through lie detectors. "What do you know about how the exploit got loaded into our system?" and then followup questions when that gets a response.

Of course, my prediction is that Jemma gets through the lie detector. This is largely because it's such a repeated theme about her that "She's a really bad liar" but "She's getting better". It would be kind of interesting to see Fitz's reaction to Jemma getting through the lie detector with all these new secrets intact. (Assuming he doesn't help her by using a remotely operated Life Model Decoy before they hit the shelves.)
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

For example, I find it weird that I'm not allowed to carry nail clippers on an airplane, but someone who can literally burn the thing in seconds will be allowed without any issues.
    Which of the following MCU characters are too dangerous to be allowed on a commercial airplane? Assume they are only bringing clothes and a cell phone, both bought at Target.

Steve Rogers
    Tony Stark
    Thor
    Matt Murdock
    Melinda May
    Leopold Fitz
    Luke Cage
    Charles Hinton(from AoS season 3, the guy who could see future deaths)

4. - Top - End - #934

Hinton would cause major disruptions just because he'd be bumping into people all the time. Rogers, Murdock and May could take the plane with brute force. Fitz and Stark could hack everything with that phone. And Thor and Cage would just knock a hole in the side by accident.

None of those people should fly commercial.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, she is the boss, but the man she game the device to isn't.
    Which means there are at least several of his rank that can just insert an untested USB to the computer without anyone checking it first.
    Multiply that number by somewhere around 10-20 to people who work under people of his rank, that can do the same thing with some stealth.
    Well, thats what i just said. You cant make something like this list without several people you need to trust, because it would be a full time job for several people to update it. And Jemma is far to important to work on it on her own.
    Im not going to multiply that by such a high number though, because we dont know what sort of security system there is in place to prevent unauthorised access.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Hinton would cause major disruptions just because he'd be bumping into people all the time. Rogers, Murdock and May could take the plane with brute force. Fitz and Stark could hack everything with that phone. And Thor and Cage would just knock a hole in the side by accident.

None of those people should fly commercial.
    So where's the limit? May and Fitz are explicitly non-powered; ordinary humans with training and practice. Do you also want to ban athletic and martial arts champions? All athletes and martial artists? The engineer who designed the plane? Every engineer who ever worked on it? All engineers?

How about groups? Can a college volleyball team fly together? A high school hockey team? Thirty ordinary, healthy adults? A coordinated attack by thirty minimally trained individuals could take a plane with brute force; why should they be allowed to fly when May can't?

7. - Top - End - #937
    Colossus in the Playground

New episode!

Spoiler
    Show
    Real good one. We've got some drama with Simmons, some great action at the prison, some real good moments too. Seeing Robbie describe the "hit" on him and his brother was...horrifying. The guy deserved it, but also didn't at the same time.

Daisy is slowly but surely realizing she NEEDS to stay with them...regardless of how much she says otherwise. Unfortunately the mission failed, but hey...progress.

What gets me the most is Hammer's expression after Simmons leaves, and how Coulson is fascinated by what May saw when she died. The former is depressing since Hammer looked so sad...which makes the twist of the knife of the villain all the sicker. And it's just fascinating that Coulson cares about what death is like, but makes perfect sense.

And next time...we get to see just how legit that deal with the devil was.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Well, meh. All of last week's awesome just dribbled away.

Spoiler: Best Lines
    Show
    Mac: Ghostbusted.

Coulson: We can argue later about who should have left whom to die.

Spoiler: Burning Sources
    Show
    Skullboy is an idiot.

He knows that there's an incorporeal mad scientist loose on the prison grounds. He knows that she's freakified beyond mortal knowledge, she has major personal issues and she's gunning for his uncle. She is there for his uncle.

So Skullboy, being the only person who can deal with Dr. Freaky, sends his uncle outside, completely alone and undefended, while Skullboy pursues a personal vendetta against someone who, as it turns out, wasn't actually responsible for the drive-by on his brother. But Skullboy murders him anyway, for absolutely no reason.

And this is after Skullboy spends most of the episode being sulky, selfish, impatient and whiny. Yeah, he's an idiot.

I'd love to see him locked in a quinjet, bound for a lovely suborbital explosion, but I assume he'll be alive for the movie tie-in. So sad.

Spoiler: Plugs & Allusions
    Show
    The connection with Vienna was superficially nice, and I know they don't want to confuse the audience too much, but part of me wishes Mace had played hero in some other global hotspot. Sometimes bowties can be too neatly tied.

But I did enjoy the shameless plug for ABC News. Presumably some intern had the task of combing through old footage to find just the right lines from the well-known news anchor.

Spoiler: Fitz & Jemma
    Show
    After the marvelous chemistry of last week, they seemed oddly out of phase tonight, with very little tension in their supposedly tense opening scene.

But there was one nice touch: Jemma insisted on calling Aida an "it," even though Jemma said "She's beautiful" at the end of last week's episode. Evidently it took a little while for the jealousy to begin percolating through, or at least the resentment of secrets being kept.

Spoiler: Daisy Goes Jet Li
    Show
    Or was she going River Tam? Either way, there were a few nice moves in her Epic Last StandTM, in particular using the swing-out seat on the table to pound one thug when he wasn't expecting it.

The martyr thing is getting a little thin, but oddly enough I'm finding Daisy herself almost non-irritating this season. She's a self-blaming lost soul, and I wish May had smacked her a little more…but somehow, she's just less annoying.

Maybe that's because, as LaZodiac suggested, Daisy is finally on the road to accepting that she really does need S.H.I.E.L.D.

Last edited by Palanan; 2016-10-25 at 10:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    Which of the following MCU characters are too dangerous to be allowed on a commercial airplane? Assume they are only bringing clothes and a cell phone, both bought at Target.

Steve Rogers
    Tony Stark
    Thor
    Matt Murdock
    Melinda May
    Leopold Fitz
    Luke Cage
    Charles Hinton(from AoS season 3, the guy who could see future deaths)
    The problem is that we're starting to mix real world with comic book logic.

Both May and Fitz are regular people without any powers.
    While in any real world situation they will be just like you or me, there is no doubt that Fitz can hack the plane using a cellphone and a bubblegum, while May can just kill everyone while chewing the same gum. So, any "badass normal" character would not enter any list despite being just as dangerous as an inhuman.

Tony stark technically enters the same list as May and Fitz, but he also carries a huge battery on his chest with the equivalent power of a reactor. So while he will not be registered, security will also have to stop him in a realistic world for a different reason.

Thor, Luke and Steve are all people with inhuman strength and as a rule of thumb, anyone who can just break the security door and enter the cockpit poses a danger to the flight.
    Will they be registered? I don't know, that depends if the list will cover only mutants/inhumans or will also be expended for anyone who also got powers as part of an experiment.
    This is more a bureaucratic question in the real world than anything else.
    Speaking of which, Thor might have a problem since he technically doesn't have a passport (ever read "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul"?)

10. - Top - End - #940
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stupid arguement: Why would Thor even need to use a plane?
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Well, meh. All of last week's awesome just dribbled away.

Show
    Skullboy is an idiot.

He knows that there's an incorporeal mad scientist loose on the prison grounds. He knows that she's freakified beyond mortal knowledge, she has major personal issues and she's gunning for his uncle. She is there for his uncle.

So Skullboy, being the only person who can deal with Dr. Freaky, sends his uncle outside, completely alone and undefended, while Skullboy pursues a personal vendetta against someone who, as it turns out, wasn't actually responsible for the drive-by on his brother. But Skullboy murders him anyway, for absolutely no reason.

And this is after Skullboy spends most of the episode being sulky, selfish, impatient and whiny. Yeah, he's an idiot.

I'd love to see him locked in a quinjet, bound for a lovely suborbital explosion, but I assume he'll be alive for the movie tie-in. So sad.
    Spoiler: Motivations
    Show

It's clearly not a logical motivation for Ghost Rider. He couldn't control the Spirit of Vengeance or whatever is his source of power and this was the final guy from the crew that burned him and his brother. We've already seen him struggle to maintain that control in earlier episodes and earlier in the episode.

I thought it made perfect sense for Ghost Rider, unshackled from Mac, to get sidetracked from his mission and lead his uncle straight into the arms of the ghost; we could see it coming from a mile away.

The pleasant surprise was that the Senator was able to utilize Ghost Rider's presence to blackmail Mace.
    Last edited by Joran; 2016-10-25 at 11:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So, any "badass normal" character would not enter any list despite being just as dangerous as an inhuman.
    You were saying earlier about how you have trouble with the metaphor? In May and your hypothetical fire-wielding inhuman, we have two equally dangerous people who get treated differently because of a quirk of genetics. That is straight-up racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Stupid arguement: Why would Thor even need to use a plane?
    After a particularly spectacular party, Thor finds himself and Mjolnir separated by an ocean. His flight powers require Mjolnir in hand, and he doesn't want to summon it back to himself for fear it might hit someone on the way. So he attempts to cross the ocean as a human would, and hilarity ensues.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

You were saying earlier about how you have trouble with the metaphor? In May and your hypothetical fire-wielding inhuman, we have two equally dangerous people who get treated differently because of a quirk of genetics. That is straight-up racism.
    Like I said, they only pose a real threat in comic logic, so yes, there are problems when mixing between logics.
    Here is another problem just for fun: What about a mutant whose only power is a green colored skin?

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of which, Thor might have a problem since he technically doesn't have a passport (ever read "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul"?)
    There is a lot of other rather relevant things he dont have either, like a pas or a credit card

After a particularly spectacular party, Thor finds himself and Mjolnir separated by an ocean. His flight powers require Mjolnir in hand, and he doesn't want to summon it back to himself for fear it might hit someone on the way. So he attempts to cross the ocean as a human would, and hilarity ensues.
    That is the traditional way Mjolnir gets lost. And also traditionally it only returns when it have been thrown.
    So anyway, Thor has to search for his hammer on foot, while hungover from a week long party.
    Hilarity ensures

Both May and Fitz are regular people without any powers.
    While in any real world situation they will be just like you or me, there is no doubt that Fitz can hack the plane using a cellphone and a bubblegum, while May can just kill everyone while chewing the same gum. So, any "badass normal" character would not enter any list despite being just as dangerous as an inhuman.
    Yeah, pseudo-powered people like May and Fitz does muddle the issue a lot. Though im not certain May could enter the cockpit, and she could kill everypne while not being on a plane as well, so im not certain how much it matters.

Thor, Luke and Steve are all people with inhuman strength and as a rule of thumb, anyone who can just break the security door and enter the cockpit poses a danger to the flight.
    Will they be registered? I don't know, that depends if the list will cover only mutants/inhumans or will also be expended for anyone who also got powers as part of an experiment.
    This is more a bureaucratic question in the real world than anything else.
    We do know the list covers everyone thats powered, since they put Scarlet Witch on it.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Show
    The connection with Vienna was superficially nice, and I know they don't want to confuse the audience too much, but part of me wishes Mace had played hero in some other global hotspot. Sometimes bowties can be too neatly tied.

But I did enjoy the shameless plug for ABC News. Presumably some intern had the task of combing through old footage to find just the right lines from the well-known news anchor.
    I usually know my MCU stuff, but normal world events elude me... what is this Vienna event they keep referencing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground

There's a massive difference in danger between those people. May is the equivalent of a special ops soldier with expert training. Yes she could presumably kill people on the plan, but even then she'd probably get overwhelmed and she likely couldn't get into the cockpit anyways. An inhuman who could wield fire would be FAR more dangerous on a plan or practically anywhere else for that matter. Note too even in real life, we don't restrict people in owning firearms or other weapons, based on their skill at using them.

From the list that was posted really only Thor, Luke Cage and maybe Steve Rogers would need to be restricted from commercial travel due to having super strength and essentially the ability to take down the whole plane (either by breaking into the cockpit or opening one of the doors) fairly easily. I'm actually not even sure Cap is strong enough to do those things.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    There's a massive difference in danger between those people. May is the equivalent of a special ops soldier with expert training. Yes she could presumably kill people on the plan, but even then she'd probably get overwhelmed and she likely couldn't get into the cockpit anyways. An inhuman who could wield fire would be FAR more dangerous on a plan or practically anywhere else for that matter. Note too even in real life, we don't restrict people in owning firearms or other weapons, based on their skill at using them.

From the list that was posted really only Thor, Luke Cage and maybe Steve Rogers would need to be restricted from commercial travel due to having super strength and essentially the ability to take down the whole plane (either by breaking into the cockpit or opening one of the doors) fairly easily. I'm actually not even sure Cap is strong enough to do those things.
    Only if he really has to and because he's Cap he'll be right to!

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    Basically, I look at each episode through the lens of, "If this doesn't move the plot forward in some significant way, I will consider it filler." Last night's episode moved the plot forward in the following ways:
    • Ghost has the Book, and someone who can read it.
    • The Director "came out" about his Inhumanity. Also, now possibly being blackmailed, or possibly preparing to turn around on his blackmailer. Two ways.
    • Simmons is no longer afraid of her lie detector tests. Also, bit of a badass.

That's... About it, actually. The team is still in a race for the book, still without Eli, still operating without Director's approval (now probably with his disapproval); Simmons is no longer worried about the boss mistrusting her, because he officially mistrusts her. Robbie still can't control his "passenger." Daisy still wants to keep her distance and has a death wish. That's it. We haven't substantially moved forward.

Show
    Skullboy is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Spoiler: Motivations
    Show

It's clearly not a logical motivation for Ghost Rider. He couldn't control the Spirit of Vengeance or whatever is his source of power and this was the final guy from the crew that burned him and his brother. We've already seen him struggle to maintain that control in earlier episodes and earlier in the episode.

I thought it made perfect sense for Ghost Rider, unshackled from Mac, to get sidetracked from his mission and lead his uncle straight into the arms of the ghost; we could see it coming from a mile away.

The pleasant surprise was that the Senator was able to utilize Ghost Rider's presence to blackmail Mace.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This. The Rider simply would not let him leave this man alone. You can see he's conflicted, too, when the guy tells him that the only people who could have revealed who took the hit out had already died by his hand. You can see the frustration on his face, and he still can't stop the Rider.

The Senator blackmailing Mace didn't surprise me as much. Kind of disappointed me, actually. Particularly because of the Watchdog connection. If she is behind them - as has been strongly implied - it makes sense that she would have eyes on the prison, where we just discovered they were recruiting.

What I'm hoping will come of this is a double-turn by Mace. We're seeing him set up to mistrust Coulson & Co. Simmons basically blackmailed him. The Senator revealed to him that Coulson's team jeopardized his major public appearance. And now the Senator has her hooks in him. Clearly, we're meant to assume that he will be this season's interfering bureaucrat (since every season thus far has had them) trying to thwart the Good Guys. My hope is that Mace will turn around and reveal that he trusts Coulson implicitly (after all, "a team that trusts is a team that triumphs,") and that he will roll over and crush the Senator with no small amount of satisfaction. But that's merely a hope at this point.

Show
    ... STEPHANOPOULOS!!!

Spoiler: Daisy Goes Jet Li
    Show
    Or was she going River Tam? Either way, there were a few nice moves in her Epic Last StandTM, in particular using the swing-out seat on the table to pound one thug when he wasn't expecting it.

The martyr thing is getting a little thin, but oddly enough I'm finding Daisy herself almost non-irritating this season. She's a self-blaming lost soul, and I wish May had smacked her a little more…but somehow, she's just less annoying.

Maybe that's because, as LaZodiac suggested, Daisy is finally on the road to accepting that she really does need S.H.I.E.L.D.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The action sequence was great, I agree. But Daisy's emo self-destruction is wearing incredibly thin. I think the only reason that she's less annoying is that she's less preachy, because she's less talk-y. An agent with a death wish, powers or no, is a major liability, something everyone should know. Particularly May. That they're tolerating Daisy's behavior is frustratingly contrived; that they're doing it while she has suffered major breaks that have yet to heal that are so severe that she can't even use her powers becomes absurd.

They need to finish her self-destructive story arc pronto, is my point. I get that they're showing two different sides of the post-addiction recovery coin, between her and Junkrat; I get that they're trying to show a complex human narrative about pain, loss, and gradual recovery. I get that, because I saw it done much better when Netflix showed Jessica Jones recovering from trauma, abuse, and a sense of total violation. Telling that story, in a stand-alone series, works really well and can be incredibly powerful; lining it up against the metaplot of AoS is just distracting.

They have magical pills that can apparently accelerate the healing of Daisy's shattered bones. They need to have something to accelerate the healing of her shattered psyche. Pronto.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

19. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    I usually know my MCU stuff, but normal world events elude me... what is this Vienna event they keep referencing?
    Spoiler: Captain America: Civil War Spoiler and Vienna
    Show

The bombing they're referencing in Vienna is the bomb that Zemo set in Vienna during the signing of the Sokovia Accords

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    Basically, I look at each episode through the lens of, "If this doesn't move the plot forward in some significant way, I will consider it filler." Last night's episode moved the plot forward in the following ways:
    • Ghost has the Book, and someone who can read it.
    • The Director "came out" about his Inhumanity. Also, now possibly being blackmailed, or possibly preparing to turn around on his blackmailer. Two ways.
    • Simmons is no longer afraid of her lie detector tests. Also, bit of a badass.

That's... About it, actually. The team is still in a race for the book, still without Eli, still operating without Director's approval (now probably with his disapproval); Simmons is no longer worried about the boss mistrusting her, because he officially mistrusts her. Robbie still can't control his "passenger." Daisy still wants to keep her distance and has a death wish. That's it. We haven't substantially moved forward.
    Spoiler: A Team that Trusts
    Show

I have a feeling that this little botched operation is going to really, really severely undermine Team SHIELD.

The Senator has on tape that some elements of SHIELD were not abiding by the Sokovia Accords; both Quake and Ghost Rider are both powered individuals and haven't agreed to the Accords. That's also not to mention that Ghost Rider murdered a defenseless prisoner.

So, the Director is being blackmailed by both Simmons and the Senator and put in a really bad position. We'll see how he reacts, but I'm thinking it's not going to be pretty.

Edit: But yeah, this episode was all table setting and putting the plot pieces into the right places. I thought it did it in a nicely entertaining package and I like how they're using the containment rooms as drop pods now for deployment of SHIELD assets. Pretty fun.
    Last edited by Joran; 2016-10-26 at 11:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Spoiler: A Team that Trusts
    Show

Edit: But yeah, this episode was all table setting and putting the plot pieces into the right places. I thought it did it in a nicely entertaining package and I like how they're using the containment rooms as drop pods now for deployment of SHIELD assets. Pretty fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it was all setting up plot, and I get that. But in a well-paced series, you can do both - have the A-Plot progress in one episode, while simultaneously setting up pieces for the B-Plot. Next episode, swap. Or, if you're awesome, both move the A-Plot forward and set up more developments for it. This episode... Very much didn't do that. Lot of setup, little payoff.

Also, didn't they use the pods like that more or less since they first introduced them? Sure, mostly for containment, but I know they've been used as sky elevators in the past.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

You were saying earlier about how you have trouble with the metaphor? In May and your hypothetical fire-wielding inhuman, we have two equally dangerous people who get treated differently because of a quirk of genetics.
    Both those people are equally dangerous, but May doesn't require any special countermeasures, she would use the same tools as anyone else. But many powered people can only be contained with countermeasures specific to their powers.

Assuming the intruder has no moral qualms, security guards that have to deal with Magneto or Joey the metal melting guy, are going to die unless they have specifically prepared special non metal equipment in advance. Otherwise, they're dead.

Security guards that have to deal with Lincoln, have a chance if they have gear that is designed specifically to deal with electricity. Otherwise, they're dead.

Security guards that have to deal with Quake need to be prepared to deal with vibrations. If they don't have that, they're dead.

If the security guards know that fire guy is there, they have much more of a chance that they have something on hand to deal with his power in the event he does something.

All this has to be arranged in advance, if it isn't, the security guards have probably already lost.

Most security guards will already have something on hand to deal with May's tools (guns, hand to hand). It might not work, but they don't need special advance warning or equipment to deal with her. Whereas the only chance with many inhumans is if you already know what you will have to deal with and/or have specialised equipment ready, which is different for each, depending on what their power is.

If your law enforcement agencies have no idea what the individual's power is in advance, then they're going to die. If they do, they have some chance.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it was all setting up plot, and I get that. But in a well-paced series, you can do both - have the A-Plot progress in one episode, while simultaneously setting up pieces for the B-Plot. Next episode, swap. Or, if you're awesome, both move the A-Plot forward and set up more developments for it. This episode... Very much didn't do that. Lot of setup, little payoff.

Also, didn't they use the pods like that more or less since they first introduced them? Sure, mostly for containment, but I know they've been used as sky elevators in the past.
    First episode of season two is, I believe, the first time we saw this. Daisy dropped in and snatched an Inhuman out from under the other team's nose.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Both those people are equally dangerous, but May doesn't require any special countermeasures, she would use the same tools as anyone else. But many powered people can only be contained with countermeasures specific to their powers.
    Pretty much every argument you've made here can be applied to someone like May. Replace "power X" with "device X" and you've got the same issue. Guy with fire-powers? May with alien-tech pyro-gloves. Quake powers? S.H.I.E.L.D.-issue tremor-generator.

And with very few exceptions, bullets work just as well on Inhumans as they do on Agent May. Better, since she has the training to avoid them and most Inhumans, in all likelihood, do not.

These characters exist in a universe where science allows them to do some outrageous things, including (but not limited to) creating a flying box made out of "adaptive material" that can descend from a plane that manages to hover at altitude, without the need of securing straps for anyone inside, and that can contain anybody irrespective of powers, because adaptive material you guys. The idea that Inhumans are somehow uniquely more dangerous than a random guy with a random piece of alien tech is demonstrably false.

Everyone is dangerous. Inhuman, human, everyone. Even the puppies. Especially them. Nobody suspects puppies.
    Last edited by Red Fel; 2016-10-26 at 02:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

So where's the limit? May and Fitz are explicitly non-powered; ordinary humans with training and practice. Do you also want to ban athletic and martial arts champions? All athletes and martial artists? The engineer who designed the plane? Every engineer who ever worked on it? All engineers?

How about groups? Can a college volleyball team fly together? A high school hockey team? Thirty ordinary, healthy adults? A coordinated attack by thirty minimally trained individuals could take a plane with brute force; why should they be allowed to fly when May can't?
    Non powered is a relative term in comics, where even "unpowered" characters can do superhuman things. Fitz? That boy is super genius levels of "normal" As for May? Sure on paper she has no powers but put her into a costume and she could easily pass for a base level super off of her sheer badassery alone. Now keeping may off a plane is a little suspect but a couple extra checks and some program where she has to check in in a special line and they make damn sure they know where she is in the airport. Makes sense. Possibly even a system wherein registered enhanced people often have a couple extra air marshals around on the fight. Not really a problem for me. Although even if you want to discount May the rest of the list still stands.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

25. - Top - End - #955

Anyone else hoping the Senator gets a face to face meeting with Robbie's other half?

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Non powered is a relative term in comics, where even "unpowered" characters can do superhuman things. Fitz? That boy is super genius levels of "normal" As for May? Sure on paper she has no powers but put her into a costume and she could easily pass for a base level super off of her sheer badassery alone. Now keeping may off a plane is a little suspect but a couple extra checks and some program where she has to check in in a special line and they make damn sure they know where she is in the airport. Makes sense. Possibly even a system wherein registered enhanced people often have a couple extra air marshals around on the fight. Not really a problem for me. Although even if you want to discount May the rest of the list still stands.
    Why though? that makes absolutely no sense. You dont have those marshals around said enhanced people at any other time.
    I mean, it honestly just gets even more stupid then, because i bet those marshals can bring whatever they want along with them. So.. are they going to need marshals of their own? how long is the russion doll progression going to continue? Are there in fact going to be place left for normal people?

What gets me the most is Hammer's expression after Simmons leaves, and how Coulson is fascinated by what May saw when she died. The former is depressing since Hammer looked so sad...which makes the twist of the knife of the villain all the sicker. And it's just fascinating that Coulson cares about what death is like, but makes perfect sense.
    I do think its a little sad as well. Hammer is doing an extremely important job, most likely just as important as the one Coulson is busy with. And Coulsons team is more or less taking every chance they get to screw him over, more or less treating him like a figurehead. At times im honestly thinking Couldson should be fired. He certainly messes enough up for that.

Besides that, as dumb as i thought it were that Robbie more or less dropped the ball with leaving his uncle alone to go kill a random gang member, one that straight had nothing to do with the crime, then i think the whole prisoner thing were even worse, enough to make me want to facepalm.
    I mean, a) why the **** does said prisoners suddenly get suicidal enough to try and rush 3 heavily armed agents? they could straight up see their guns.
    b) Why the heck does Daisy have to act like such a retard? is it one more attemt at suicide by thugh? Im starting to agree on why she should have been taken off the team as well. In this mission she were a liability.
    And c), if the prisoners could have been beaten so easily, almost soloed by Daisy, then why the heck all the running

All in all, a lot of idiot balls had been saved for this episode.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    You're also forgetting that May IS registered.
    While not as an inhuman, military records are kept and the source of information will be known for a government agency.

Worst case scenario, only partial data will be revealed and the rest will be classified. The partial data should be enough to understand her skills, and the lack of access is a red flag by itself that she is not a target you can just send a uniformed police officer with a shocker.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty much every argument you've made here can be applied to someone like May. Replace "power X" with "device X" and you've got the same issue. Guy with fire-powers? May with alien-tech pyro-gloves. Quake powers? S.H.I.E.L.D.-issue tremor-generator.

And with very few exceptions, bullets work just as well on Inhumans as they do on Agent May. Better, since she has the training to avoid them and most Inhumans, in all likelihood, do not.

These characters exist in a universe where science allows them to do some outrageous things, including (but not limited to) creating a flying box made out of "adaptive material" that can descend from a plane that manages to hover at altitude, without the need of securing straps for anyone inside, and that can contain anybody irrespective of powers, because adaptive material you guys. The idea that Inhumans are somehow uniquely more dangerous than a random guy with a random piece of alien tech is demonstrably false.

Everyone is dangerous. Inhuman, human, everyone. Even the puppies. Especially them. Nobody suspects puppies.
    I'm pretty sure most alien tech would be restricted and confiscated if the government caught you with it, just like they would if they caught you with some sort of other illegal weaponry. For planes you restrict weapons on board pre-emptively anyways. Even if everyone on a plane had a firearm with them, I bet you the vast majority of flights would still have no one using them. Nevertheless we've deemed it safer to just not allow them at all. This would be the same with inhumans who had powers that could bring down the plane. It's unlikely they would use that power to do that, but its pre-emptively banned. I mean hell the examples given of Thor, Luke Cage and Cap who would probably need to be restricted from flying based on powers, would all likely never be a threat to the plane anyways based on their behavior.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure most alien tech would be restricted and confiscated if the government caught you with it, just like they would if they caught you with some sort of other illegal weaponry.
    Counter-argument, half of the villains in this series, plus S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. I mean, Coulson checks his prosthetic weaponized hand at the security gate of the prison, and still walks in with it.

Before we had Inhumans in this series, we had spy-fi. And that stuff's all over the Marvel universe, movies and TV alike. Heck, what do you think T.A.H.I.T.I. involved? Alien tech all over the place, some registered, some most definitely not. (Don't believe me? One word: DETHLOK.)

For planes you restrict weapons on board pre-emptively anyways. Even if everyone on a plane had a firearm with them, I bet you the vast majority of flights would still have no one using them. Nevertheless we've deemed it safer to just not allow them at all. This would be the same with inhumans who had powers that could bring down the plane. It's unlikely they would use that power to do that, but its pre-emptively banned. I mean hell the examples given of Thor, Luke Cage and Cap who would probably need to be restricted from flying based on powers, would all likely never be a threat to the plane anyways based on their behavior.
    But here's the thing - how do you enforce that? This series exists in a universe where there is alien technology that can't be tracked, detected, or located. You could sneak alien weapons onto a plane. So it's kind of hollow to say, "These people are uniquely dangerous, because they're walking weapons," when there are people with actual weapons who can walk right in unmolested.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

Counter-argument, half of the villains in this series, plus S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. I mean, Coulson checks his prosthetic weaponized hand at the security gate of the prison, and still walks in with it.

Before we had Inhumans in this series, we had spy-fi. And that stuff's all over the Marvel universe, movies and TV alike. Heck, what do you think T.A.H.I.T.I. involved? Alien tech all over the place, some registered, some most definitely not. (Don't believe me? One word: DETHLOK.)
    It's not different than carrying an illegal sawed off shotgun. There are laws against that type of thing but nothing is physically preventing you from doing it. If you're caught with it, you'll get punished however. If you're running around using an alien laser blaster or something and you finally get apprehended, you're going to get extra punished for using some sort of mass destruction weapon in your rampage.

But here's the thing - how do you enforce that? This series exists in a universe where there is alien technology that can't be tracked, detected, or located. You could sneak alien weapons onto a plane. So it's kind of hollow to say, "These people are uniquely dangerous, because they're walking weapons," when there are people with actual weapons who can walk right in unmolested.
    Not being able to catch all types of things that could get on planes doesn't mean they shouldn't be trying to. This is a nirvana fallacy. Yes some random alien tech may be undetectable and might take down a plane. Doesn't mean that someone who can shoot energy beams out of his eyes shouldn't be restricted from flying in the same manner you wouldn't let someone carry a large energy weapon onto a plane. I mean the basic rule is not to bring anything onto a plane that could cause significant danger to the plane itself, whether inherently (explosive) or indirectly (weapons allowing you access to cockpit and crashing the plane that way). In many of these cases the thing being brought onto a plane is exactly that, a thing. In the case of a world where some people have inherent powers that mimic things, well those people who's powers mimic things that could bring down an airplane also need to be restricted from traveling on said airplanes, for the exact same reason.
    Last edited by Chen; 2016-10-27 at 08:52 AM.