New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. V: You Joined the Cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    While watching the episode Huttj509, my parents picked up on them as being flipped as South Bend mentioned with US 41. Also you shouldn't double post like you did Huttj509.

@CandleJack: Always nice to lay connections around the verse.

@Pex: It was just too good a line to pass up.
    Sorry, after the prior post, and 40 mins later chatting with a friend about the US 41 thing, which he pointed out 41 was in Indiana, so I checked the range of the episode (mentioned places are South Bend to the east, Naperville IL to the west, couple hours drive between them), it seemed plausible, and I didn't notice I had the prior post. It's not like I was spamming 5 posts in 10 minutes.

Again, when in the episode to they mention US 41? What context? If it's taking 41 to south bend, yeah, that's wrong. If it's in relation to where the bad guys were holed up during the raid, it's plausible, as that location wasn't specified as in South Bend. South Bend was where the imploded facility was.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

An accident on highway 41 was Alfie the insurance adjuster's excuse to his brother to run out and meet Daisy and Fitz.
    Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think this has been brought up, but Bob Chipman's little spiels on AoS alluded to something I wasn't aware of. Namely the Watchdogs are part of the MU, where they're ultra-right militant pawns of the Red Skull and involved with the jackbooted crazy version of Captain America.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
    An accident on highway 41 was Alfie the insurance adjuster's excuse to his brother to run out and meet Daisy and Fitz.
    Which would send him in the right direction leaving the house (east of Naperville), since he wouldn't expect his brother to follow him past the state line or whatever. He just needs an excuse to leave, not an excuse to go to South Bend.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Which would send him in the right direction leaving the house (east of Naperville), since he wouldn't expect his brother to follow him past the state line or whatever. He just needs an excuse to leave, not an excuse to go to South Bend.
    Huttj509, my mom grew up in Hammond, IN four blocks east of the state line, and US 41 enters into the area by way of the south. Naperville may be to east of Chicago, but there is no way Mack's brother would missed the inconsistency between referencing South Bend and US 41. Its a writer's gaff.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

And to think that Atlases are a thing.

Of course, any reference to a real location in the U.S. is kind of risky with a U.S. audience; the locals are almost certain to be able to shoot holes in it somewhere.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

so

Spoiler
    Show
    Skye, yes Skye since her morals have very much backslid to episode 1 has gone full on Ghestoppo on this episode, so not only is she a Black Hat Hacker..she is a Black Hat Hacker working for a Secret Spy Organization who advocates showing up at the door of peoples houses to interrogate them.

GO TEAM GOODGUYS!

Edit : Oh, and later in the episode she shows up to bully one of the people who didn't actually attack anyone and scare them into talking instead of you know.."Hi, I am with the ATCU, we were monitoring your communications and saw that you turned down the chance to hurt people..well you saw the attack, tell us what you know before more people get hurt"
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2016-04-01 at 08:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    so

Spoiler
    Show
    Skye, yes Skye since her morals have very much backslid to episode 1 has gone full on Ghestoppo on this episode, so not only is she a Black Hat Hacker..she is a Black Hat Hacker working for a Secret Spy Organization who advocates showing up at the door of peoples houses to interrogate them.

GO TEAM GOODGUYS!

Edit : Oh, and later in the episode she shows up to bully one of the people who didn't actually attack anyone and scare them into talking instead of you know.."Hi, I am with the ATCU, we were monitoring your communications and saw that you turned down the chance to hurt people..well you saw the attack, tell us what you know before more people get hurt"
    No, that's not how Daisy's character was at all in episode one. Rather she's becoming the type of authoritarian surveillance-state woman-in-black that her whole raison d'etre was to undermine as a hacktivist in the beginning. Skye's hacking was never presented as something nefarious, and her motives were never truly suspect beyond her evidently questionable choice in friends which was presented merely as naivete. It's a large part why people accuse her of being a Mary Sue.

Her current actions are a response to her second season arc, her indoctrination into Inhumanism, the general liberties Coulson has given her because of her actions in the last two and a half seasons, and more than a little reflection of the rigid black & white thinking from her mother - point being, it's something that has built up to this point, not Once Upon a Time-esque "we need drama so let's make that character we just redeemed a few episodes a villain again".

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Huttj509, my mom grew up in Hammond, IN four blocks east of the state line, and US 41 enters into the area by way of the south. Naperville may be to east of Chicago, but there is no way Mack's brother would missed the inconsistency between referencing South Bend and US 41. Its a writer's gaff.
    Mack didn't reference South Bend.

He got the call from Coulson.

"Hey, uh, it looks like I need to take off for a couple hours. There was an accident on US 41, I gotta go assess it." "Now?" "It's complicated." "But this is simple. Lunch, beers, bike, remember?"

Mentioning South Bend right after the news of the attack in South Bend woulda been hecka suspicious. Instead he gave an excuse that had him leaving the house in a generally East-Southeast direction, and being gone for a few hours.

Edit: in other news, today in a parking lot I saw an old white on blue Indiana plate. While I was under the impression that we were supposed to switch when sent the new ones, and actually thought we were required to (I got the letter 3 years ago and didn't save it), apparently it's not heavily enforced, at best.
    Last edited by huttj509; 2016-04-02 at 09:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

No, that's not how Daisy's character was at all in episode one. Rather she's becoming the type of authoritarian surveillance-state woman-in-black that her whole raison d'etre was to undermine as a hacktivist in the beginning.
    It is the same Holier than thou attitude, which really means all of her crap in season 1 was just that. A load of crap she told her self to justify her actions.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

It is the same Holier than thou attitude, which really means all of her crap in season 1 was just that. A load of crap she told her self to justify her actions.
    Because it's not like people's opinions develop and change based on altered circumstances over the course of months, even years...
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Season 1 - All Information should be available to all
    Season 3 - No you should not be making us register and letting others know where we live.

not quite the same attitude as her experiences have led her opinions do a 180.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

So a noob question: From what point does this series get good? I haven't actually watched any of it but I remember it started pretty badly received and continued meh before it alledgedly became good at some point. After watching those other cape series (Arrow [gone downhill], Flash [fine and dandy], Daredevil [good except for main protag], Jessica [artificially inflated], Legends [leftovers assemble!]), I'm planning to give SHIELD a watch but I'd prefer to skip the lame parts.
    I think I heard the gitgud point was Winter Soldier movie tie in? Maybe not but I'm certain this series wasn't liked much at the start.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

14. - Top - End - #164
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pronounceable View Post
    So a noob question: From what point does this series get good? I haven't actually watched any of it but I remember it started pretty badly received and continued meh before it alledgedly became good at some point. After watching those other cape series (Arrow [gone downhill], Flash [fine and dandy], Daredevil [good except for main protag], Jessica [artificially inflated], Legends [leftovers assemble!]), I'm planning to give SHIELD a watch but I'd prefer to skip the lame parts.
    I think I heard the gitgud point was Winter Soldier movie tie in? Maybe not but I'm certain this series wasn't liked much at the start.
    It gets really good around the Winter Soldier tie in, but upon reflection people have realized the earlier episodes weren't BAD, just...slower than expected. They're fairly okay episodes, and I feel it's important to watch them to sort of build up to the good stuff.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It gets really good around the Winter Soldier tie in, but upon reflection people have realized the earlier episodes weren't BAD, just...slower than expected. They're fairly okay episodes, and I feel it's important to watch them to sort of build up to the good stuff.
    For the most part, I agree. The episodes before the Winter Soldier tie in (Turn, Turn, Turn, season 1 episode 17) in general aren't bad, just not amazingly awesome, and a big part of what makes Turn, Turn, Turn and later episodes so great is how they build on what came before.

Except the episode where a villain-of-the-week has male-specific mind control powers, which all of the protagonists know about, and in a fit of astounding idiocy they proceed to NOT keep all male members of the team at least a mile away. That one is terrible in my opinion.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    For the most part, I agree. The episodes before the Winter Soldier tie in (Turn, Turn, Turn, season 1 episode 17) in general aren't bad, just not amazingly awesome, and a big part of what makes Turn, Turn, Turn and later episodes so great is how they build on what came before.

Except the episode where a villain-of-the-week has male-specific mind control powers, which all of the protagonists know about, and in a fit of astounding idiocy they proceed to NOT keep all male members of the team at least a mile away. That one is terrible in my opinion.
    If I recall the only dude they had, boots on the ground style, was Ward. But yeah maybe I just blocked it out because it was pretty clearly the low point of season 1.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    If I recall the only dude they had, boots on the ground style, was Ward. But yeah maybe I just blocked it out because it was pretty clearly the low point of season 1.
    Coulson was also there, even if he didn't get directly in the physical violence, and I think there was a male local police chief beside him. Even disregarding that, putting any male agent in potential range of the mind controller without a countermeasure was incredibly stupid, especially with him being an extraordinarily competent agent. The only reasonable way to use Ward in that scenario is to give him a sniper perch.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2016-04-05 at 06:08 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Coulson was also there, even if he didn't get directly in the physical violence, and I think there was a male local police chief beside him. Even disregarding that, putting any male agent in potential range of the mind controller without a countermeasure was incredibly stupid, especially with him being an extraordinarily competent agent. The only reasonable way to use Ward in that scenario is to give him a sniper perch.
    What's especially egregious about the script writing in that episode was that Ward had already demonstrated skill with a sniper rifle (in the Pilot, in "The Bridge", etc). But no, they needed him to be brainwashed, so they had him temporarily become an idiot. Ward may have been many things - petty, shortsighted maybe - but never an idiot on a tactical level.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

19. - Top - End - #169

I can think of a few reasons why he may of decided to do it.

Spoiler: Actually pretty big spoilers
    Show
    He figures he's too strong willed, a perfectly reasonable assumption given his personality.

He saw it as a potentially easy situation to take down one of the heavy hitters on the team without it being suspicious.

A small part of him wanted to be taken over because it'd give him clarity of purpose, because he really is just a lapdog. A powerful one, but still.

20. - Top - End - #170

New Episode!
    Spoiler
    Show

Pretty good one, I think. Lot of intrigue with the future sight, some great funny moments, and some great touching moments with Andrew and May. We got to see our heroes learn that Ward's body is back, and we got to see Gideon try out a cool power suit type thing. And Lincoln got his face busted open. All in all, a nice solid episode.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this was an odd episode.

The old "glimpses of the future" approach felt familiar, and yet the episode didn't have the energy or tension I would have expected.

Spoiler: Best Line
    Show
    Lincoln: "I actually never saw the original Terminator."
    Coulson: "You're off the team."

Spoiler: Best Line from Next Week
    Show
    May: "You didn't kill him hard enough."

Spoiler: Most Priceless Expression
    Show
    Coulson's face on seeing the security feed of Ward.

That was a masterpiece of Coulson-ism.

Spoiler: The Design of Inhuman Powers
    Show
    So if Inhuman powers are designed to fill a need…what possible need could there be for a precog who a) can't control his abilities, b) only foresees the worst moments of people's lives, c) transfers the visions to other people, and d) almost always can't do anything about it?

That's some Rube Goldberg genetic engineering there. Ahh, those wacky Kree, always good for a laugh.

Spoiler: Are We Channeling Star Trek?
    Show
    Took me a while to place it, but there's a fifth-season episode of TNG in which the Enterprise repeatedly relives the hours before a collision with the Bozeman. That was a different scenario in most respects, but much of the discussion about whether or not they could change the future was similar to some of the conversation (or hand-wringing) here.

Seems like there have been other "see the future and fight to change it" episodes from other shows, just can't bring them to mind.

Spoiler: Are Gloves That Hard?
    Show
    Seriously, if Rogue can wear gloves, why can't Charlie the Helpless Precog?

Maybe I missed some vital bit of plot-pointery, but I had the impression all the precog moments were triggered by skin-to-skin contact. You'd think gloves would be an easy solution.

Spoiler: A Rude Interruption
    Show
    Did anyone else have their S.H.I.E.L.D. experience rudely interrupted by a completely pointless news break?

Not sure if I should yell at my local ABC affiliate or if this was something nationwide. Came in the middle of a sentence when Ward was talking to Malik in the boardroom. Talk about breaking tension.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: Are Gloves That Hard?
    Show
    Seriously, if Rogue can wear gloves, why can't Charlie the Helpless Precog?

Maybe I missed some vital bit of plot-pointery, but I had the impression all the precog moments were triggered by skin-to-skin contact. You'd think gloves would be an easy solution.

Show
    Did anyone else have their S.H.I.E.L.D. experience rudely interrupted by a completely pointless news break?

Not sure if I should yell at my local ABC affiliate or if this was something nationwide. Came in the middle of a sentence when Ward was talking to Malik in the boardroom. Talk about breaking tension.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it might just be any close contact at all, not just skin to skin. Additionally it has the Rogue problem of "it's not real touching".

Same. I think they resumed the episode where it cut, however.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it too obvious that Lash's purpose is to kill NotWard?
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it too obvious that Lash's purpose is to kill NotWard?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think it'll actually go that way, but that's an interesting idea.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Are we sure that Lash's purpose isn't simply to thin out the Inhuman population?
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Show
    So if Inhuman powers are designed to fill a need…what possible need could there be for a precog who a) can't control his abilities, b) only foresees the worst moments of people's lives, c) transfers the visions to other people, and d) almost always can't do anything about it?

That's some Rube Goldberg genetic engineering there. Ahh, those wacky Kree, always good for a laugh.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It hasn't occurred to you that his powers are perfect if anyone but him requires that information?

Imagine if he actually knew what he can do, how much could he charge simply for the virtue of seeing a little in the future?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, this was an odd episode.

The old "glimpses of the future" approach felt familiar, and yet the episode didn't have the energy or tension I would have expected.

Spoiler: Best Line
    Show
    Lincoln: "I actually never saw the original Terminator."
    Coulson: "You're off the team."

Spoiler: Best Line from Next Week
    Show
    May: "You didn't kill him hard enough."

Spoiler: Most Priceless Expression
    Show
    Coulson's face on seeing the security feed of Ward.

That was a masterpiece of Coulson-ism.

Show

Spoiler: Are We Channeling Star Trek?
    Show
    Took me a while to place it, but there's a fifth-season episode of TNG in which the Enterprise repeatedly relives the hours before a collision with the Bozeman. That was a different scenario in most respects, but much of the discussion about whether or not they could change the future was similar to some of the conversation (or hand-wringing) here.

Seems like there have been other "see the future and fight to change it" episodes from other shows, just can't bring them to mind.

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I missed the lead in the line with The Terminator reference what was it exactly?

As for next week and "It" did anyone notice that "It" was wearing a Badass Trench Coat throughout this episode and Mallick was in the dark to how he(?) got better. Can't wait to see "It"'s real form.

Also the appearance of another precog does lend credence Lincoln's story that Inhuman abilities fill a niche. However, I'm not sure what niche is filleed by seeing future deaths everywhere.

I wasn't thinking about TNG episode Cause and Effect, but that works as well as the SGU episode Time.

Yes I kind of hate George Stephanopolous right now for breaking in the middle of an episode and not waiting for a commercial.

Finally, Can't wait to see what "It" really wanted from the buyout if not the exosuit.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Are we sure that Lash's purpose isn't simply to thin out the Inhuman population?
    As in NotWard's intended army.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I missed the lead in the line with The Terminator reference what was it exactly?

Spoiler: Terminator
    Show

Coulson: Like, in Terminator. If John Conner's alive and able to send his friend back in time to save his mom to make sure he's born, doesn't that mean he doesn't have to?

Lincoln: I, uh, I never saw the original Terminator.

Coulson: You're off the team.

Of course, the Terminator series varies between being and Oedipus Rex or 12 Monkeys style timeline and being a "branching paths" style timeline. First one is 12 Monkeys/fate style, future ones are branching paths.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a really weird idea, more Avengers than Heroes of Shield (which I haven't watched). Is it weird that I wish they had cast Lucy Liu as Black Widow? Change the backstory and ethnicity. But still a spy originating in a communist country working for SHIELD. Make the show have a slightly more diverse cast.

Or they could find another Asian-american actress. Or go international with a straight up Asian actress. Just a weird though I had.