New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: IC Ljonarian Enigma: Tournament Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "I mean a faction within the government is attempting to assassinate the Emperor, and anyone they expect to support him rather than them, including Darian's family."
    The high cleric stares at Aerin, stone-faced. August gasps. Gregor is the first to speak, "This sounds rather far-fetched to me. There are always nobles who choose to play their political game with violence, but surely this folly is too great."

"The visions I have seen...", Ethanna mutters, her gaze drifting to drawings on the wall, "we are being warned..."

"But even if someone wished to harm the Emperor", Gregor continues to protest, "How could they ever hope to get close? Even if His Radiant Majesty should choose to grace our small country with a visit-"

"He will come", Ethanna says interrupting Gregor, who is clearly surprised by this, "They informed the high clerics two days ago."

The other cleric looks uncertain. "But even so... Surely there are able guards, and protective spells of the highest order. What chance could any assassin have?"

"I'm not sure..", Ethanna turns back to Aerin, "Is there anything you know about the people behind this? May I ask how you found out about this plot?"
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    "Ah, Delawney! Yes, he's the quick-tempered sort. And proud, very proud. But he's not that bad, not really. Not treacherous, like so many others. And me- Quiet! Did you hear that!", he is silent, listening probably, "Nah, it was nothing. Only the silence, singing songs... Ah, yes. And no, angered is not the word I would use. No, I simply put my trust in the unworthy. You see", he lowers his voice to a whisper, "there is a conspiracy at work."
    Rowan startles at that. "Wait, you know about the conspiracy? Who are you? Are you Darian's father? They tried to kill him today. He's fine though, my neighbor will keep him safe!"

3. - Top - End - #243

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Rowan startles at that. "Wait, you know about the conspiracy? Who are you? Are you Darian's father? They tried to kill him today. He's fine though, my neighbor will keep him safe!"
    "What? What?! Who are you really? This is not like the voices before! Were you sent here to scare me?! But if so, you're words make no sense. Why would you mix threat and reassurance? Oh, nothing makes any sense anymore! Walls giggle and lights flicker, do I speak to myself or are you real? Curse this sickness they have cursed me with!" Sounds like the man has found a good supply of self-pity at least.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-11-29 at 05:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

"While in the palace we overheard the conspirators talking. Darian recognized two of the voices, the Minister of War and someone he called the Duchess. The Duchess explicitly said their plan was to kill the Emperor. I'm not surprised he didn't tell you; he's demonstrated a strong desire to pretend what's happening isn't. If I hadn't insisted we leave immediately, I suspect he would have gone in, asked the conspirators to confirm they were just joking, and gotten quickly killed. But he will confirm what I'm saying if you ask him directly." Well, he better, anyway. See if I ever save him from a conspiracy again if he starts lying now.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"What? What?! Who are you really? This is not like the voices before! Were you sent here to scare me?! But if so, you're words make no sense. Why would you mix threat and reassurance? Oh, nothing makes any sense anymore! Walls giggle and lights flicker, do I speak to myself or are you real? Curse this sickness they have cursed me with!" Sounds like the man has found a good supply of self-pity at least.
    Rowan grins in spite of the man's ramblings. "I'm glad I found you- I mean, I'm not glad you're in a dungeon, but now I know you're safe at least. I wasn't trying to threaten you, Darian was completely fine when I left, I swear!" He carefully leaves out the "oh, and your house is on fire and there might be more assassins" part.

6. - Top - End - #246

Griffon

Vindal doesn't speak much more before they reach the castle and neither does Eggy. The guards at drawbridge stop them and demand to know what business they have here. Vindal explains some of the situation and that they need to see the Captain of the Guard, but the guards are being slow to believe him. While he argues with them, a group of noble ladies and their entourage exists from the castle and crosses the bridge. They appear to be in some hurry.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A Spot check from Eggy, please.

"While in the palace we overheard the conspirators talking. Darian recognized two of the voices, the Minister of War and someone he called the Duchess. The Duchess explicitly said their plan was to kill the Emperor. I'm not surprised he didn't tell you; he's demonstrated a strong desire to pretend what's happening isn't. If I hadn't insisted we leave immediately, I suspect he would have gone in, asked the conspirators to confirm they were just joking, and gotten quickly killed. But he will confirm what I'm saying if you ask him directly." Well, he better, anyway. See if I ever save him from a conspiracy again if he starts lying now.
    All three clerics look shocked. Ethanna recovers first. She crosses her hands and rests them on the desk. "This is very serious. Springhaven is a small country, the Duchess is like our queen. I will need to confirm this immediately, Brother Gregor, would you please fetch the young man?" Gregor nods nervously and turns to go. "Do not speak of this to anyone else", the High Cleric adds seriously, "The younger ones are known to gossip." The older cleric nods again before leaving for the staircase.

"Speaking of young clerics", Ethanna continues, "I am even more unhappy about leaving Rowan in the castle even for a single night." She reaches for a new parchment and begins writing quickly. Once finished she rolls up the message and seals it, then hands it to August. "Would you kindly be our representative and take this to the castle? It is a demand to release Rowan. Give it to the Guard, though make sure they have at least the rank of a Lieutenant, otherwise it might get lost."

"But-"

"I know you are eager to be back on the road, but it would be folly for you to ride through the night in any case. And you don't have anything else to do here tonight except fret, so you might as well do something useful." August admits that the reasoning is true and accepts the message. Ethanna turns back to Aerin. "I know we already have much to thank you for bringing us these news, and also for your help in the morning, asking more would be inconsiderate", she hesitates, "yet... I wonder if you could do one more thing for us? I imagine you must have walked a lot already today, but could you still accompany August on this visit to the castle? He should not be in any danger, but...", she lifts her hands to her forehead closing her eyes, "I have a bad feeling I cannot explain. I hope my concern is unfounded."

Rowan grins in spite of the man's ramblings. "I'm glad I found you- I mean, I'm not glad you're in a dungeon, but now I know you're safe at least. I wasn't trying to threaten you, Darian was completely fine when I left, I swear!" He carefully leaves out the "oh, and your house is on fire and there might be more assassins" part.
    "You say... Perhaps you do not lie, maybe you have met my younger son. It would be reassuring to hear. ...But that means you would have to be real? Unless you are just part of an another delusion... Oh, how frustrating it is!" He sighs. "You wouldn't happen to know how cure a disease that eats the mind? No, how could you, wandering image of hope..."
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-12-05 at 03:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247

"Certainly, I will." Aerin briefly considers, and discards, explaining further.

8. - Top - End - #248

Vindal doesn't speak much more before they reach the castle and neither does Eggy. The guards at drawbridge stop them and demand to know what business they have here. Vindal explains some of the situation and that they need to see the Captain of the Guard, but the guards are being slow to believe him. While he argues with them, a group of noble ladies and their entourage exists from the castle and crosses the bridge. They appear to be in some hurry.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A Spot check from Eggy, please.
    Eglantine hurried behind Vindal, barely looking up. She felt nervous being so close to the castle, even though she knew Vindal had visited for various jobs he had done. It would be some time before she was ready to do the same, and at the rate her life was going it might be a very, very long time.

Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    (1d20+1)[3]
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

9. - Top - End - #249

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Eglantine hurried behind Vindal, barely looking up. She felt nervous being so close to the castle, even though she knew Vindal had visited for various jobs he had done. It would be some time before she was ready to do the same, and at the rate her life was going it might be a very, very long time.

Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    [roll0]
    The noblewomen's party pass by without slowing. One of them gives Eglantine a long look, but otherwise the women pay them no mind. The guard is still reluctant to let Eggy and Vindal pass in the other direction, but the latter is persistent, mentioning the names of a few nobles, one of them being Marquis Garland, the one who's henchman had visited the stall earlier today.

The guards look at each other, one shrugs. "Fine, you may go. But don't wander around and be quick about your business."

"That depends on how reasonable your superiors are", Vindal replies glumly and crosses the drawbridge with Eggy trailing after him.

The great entrance hall is empty when they enter. Vindal doesn't stop to wait for a servant to show up, but seems to know his way to the Guard's offices. They discover that the Captain is not present, and neither are the Lieutenants, save for one. He's a grey haired human already far into his middle age and looks more interested in a bottle of sherry than the papers on his desk. He gives the master and apprentice an unfriendly glare when they barge in to his office. "What's this now?"

Spoiler: Athedia
    Show
    Giving you a chance to respond, or ask questions if you have any. Let me know if you just want me to continue.

"Certainly, I will." Aerin briefly considers, and discards, explaining further.
    "You have my thanks, once again", Ethanna says and encourages them to hurry, "I believe you can still make it, but please make haste, they will soon close the gates for the night."

The western sky is beautiful as dusk draws near, painted in orange and light red. August babbles constantly on the way, and Aerin soon hears all of his errand to the city whether she cares to or not.

They too must deal with the drawbridge guards, who are not happy about their arrival. "Again?!", one of them exclaims and shakes his head, "First a craftsman and now a message from a temple head! Will we have to let half the town in for this boy?"

Spoiler: Kish
    Show
    Aerin make a Spot check, please.
    Last edited by CWater; 2018-01-30 at 03:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"You say... Perhaps you do not lie, maybe you have met my younger son. It would be reassuring to hear. ...But that means you would have to be real? Unless you are just part of an another delusion... Oh, how frustrating it is!" He sighs. "You wouldn't happen to know how cure a disease that eats the mind? No, how could you, wandering image of hope..."
    "A disease is... eating your mind? I haven't really heard much about that, but I can cure diseases! I'd be happy to try, but the problem is I'd have to touch you and... there's a bit of a wall in the way." Rowan shifts sheepishly. "Sorry."

11. - Top - End - #251

The noblewomen's party pass by without slowing. One of them gives Eglantine a long look, but otherwise the women pay them no mind. The guard is still reluctant to let Eggy and Vindal pass in the other direction, but the latter is persistent, mentioning the names of a few nobles, one of them being Marquis Garland, the one who's henchman had visited the stall earlier today.

The guards look at each other, one shrugs. "Fine, you may go. But don't wander around and be quick about your business."

"That depends on how reasonable your superiors are", Vindal replies glumly and crosses the drawbridge with Eggy trailing after him.

The great entrance hall is empty when they enter. Vindal doesn't stop to wait for a servant to show up, but seems to know his way to the Guard's offices. They discover that the Captain is not present, and neither are the Lieutenants, save for one. He's a grey haired half-elf already far into his middle age and looks more interested in a bottle of sherry than the papers on his desk. He gives the master and apprentice an unfriendly glare when they barge in to his office. "What's this now?"

Spoiler: Athedia
    Show
    Giving you a chance to respond, or ask questions if you have any. Let me know if you just want me to continue.
    Eglantine looked up from behind Vindal. "You have my brother in there. He didn't do anything, I swear. He is just really really trusting and not that bright. Please, he works for the temple and they need help, especially since that cockatrice got lose in the vendors area and he is really good at what he does but ...." She trailed off and went back to hugging the stuffed unicorn. "Vindal, you know him."
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

12. - Top - End - #252

Griffon

Outside the castle August continues to demand they be allowed in. He seems almost enthusiastic of the opportunity to shout and vent his frustration at someone, waving the High Cleric's signet in front of the guard's face. The watchman is annoyed, but waves his hand towards the gate. "Fine! Go in, I don't care anymore! But be quick, we'll close the bridge soon."

"Thank you," August replies, "Can you also tell me how to get to the dungeon?"

The guard sighs. "Take the first turn right, down the stairs at the end. Find someone else to bother then."

They walk over the moat surrounding the castle and enter the large entrance hall. August clearly isn't used to such large structures and stands gawking for a moment before heading towards the rightmost corridor. It's emptier inside than on Aerin's last visit and they meet no servant or even see any guards standing in attention. The only noticeable sound they hear is a one heavy thump, coming perhaps from the floor above them. "I wonder what that was?", August comments.

Another corridor crosses the first one at its end, with the stairs leading down at the centre of the this T-junction. The corridor on their right is short, leading only to a handful of rooms, but the one turning left leads deeper into the castle. Some 20 ft. in this direction a woman dressed like a servant is lying on her belly on the floor.

"A disease is... eating your mind? I haven't really heard much about that, but I can cure diseases! I'd be happy to try, but the problem is I'd have to touch you and... there's a bit of a wall in the way." Rowan shifts sheepishly. "Sorry."
    "You can? You can cure? Oh, the gods of mockery are cruel! I could have regained sanity, but the wall is thick and this hole so small! If only- wait! What was that?"

Spoiler: Axe
    Show
    Listen check from Rowan, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Eglantine looked up from behind Vindal. "You have my brother in there. He didn't do anything, I swear. He is just really really trusting and not that bright. Please, he works for the temple and they need help, especially since that cockatrice got lose in the vendors area and he is really good at what he does but ...." She trailed off and went back to hugging the stuffed unicorn. "Vindal, you know him."
    The Lieutenant looks back at them with a bored expression. "Look, I can't just go on releasing prisoners when I feel like it."

"His name is Rowan Mata, and I've known him for years, what Eglantine said is true", Vindal says, "My name is Vindal Ebon, I've been a craftsman in this city for over a century, and I give you my word. The boy lives with his sister who is my apprentice, works at a temple of peace, he's not going to run or avoid your questions. Keeping him in the dungeon is pointless."

The guard puts down his bottle, "Right, the brat who was accused of stealing, I heard about that. Look, I don't have the authority to let him out, not when he's here on a noble's word."

"Then who can free him?"

"The Captain, or Commander I suppose. But they're not here. Look, I'll let you see him", he retrieves a chain of keys from his desk drawer, "and then you can go and come back tom-"

"Lieutenant! Lieutenant!", a voice calls out from the hallway and running footsteps approach. Soon after a guard barges in, looking somewhat worse for wear. His right shoulder pad is broken and he's holding a hand on his side which is bleeding merrily. "Lieutenant! We-", he's cut off when an arrow hits him in the back and he stumbles into the room and falls down to one knee.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-12-11 at 07:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253

"Be ready to fight," Aerin says in a low voice. She approaches the fallen figure, but doesn't touch it until she's determined whether someone is going to jump out at her.

14. - Top - End - #254

Griffon

"Be ready to fight," Aerin says in a low voice. She approaches the fallen figure, but doesn't touch it until she's determined whether someone is going to jump out at her.
    "Fight? Here?" August pales, but follows Aerin and kneels down to look at the body. "She's... dead." He leans forward about to turn the body.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen and Spot checks please.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    The bright squares are different only in that they mark the location of the doors.
    Two of the doors are open, let me know if you can't see which. They're quite wide open and don't block your view or movement forward, I've just tried to show them clearly. Putting the lines next to the wall makes them hard to see.
    Dark marks unknown area. (...Now that I think about it, maybe it would be easier to show walls and doors and such if it was white instead. Black is just traditional.)
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-12-11 at 09:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

Griffon

Show
    Aerin hears a small thud from the first room to her right (the closest one that is open), then silence.

Spoiler: Axe
    Show
    Rowan hears a scream, then a armour clanging, then another scream and a shout.

16. - Top - End - #256

Aerin draws her sword and hurries into the room to her right.
    Spoiler
    Show

If it is possible in this game to ready actions outside of combat, she's readying an action to attack anyone she sees who looks likely to be an assassin.

17. - Top - End - #257

Griffon

Not wasting time Aerin runs up to the room. Inside stand three reptilian humanoids each roughly the size of a gnome. While they bear some resemblance to common kobolds, these are more muscular, have sharper teeth and a leathery mane. Two of them are armed with two curious blades in both hands that are still dripping blood. The third has a crossbow. Behind them in the far corner of the room lie two humanoid bodies; one is a servant, and the other one perhaps a scribe.

Show
    Spoiler: Visual aid
    Show
    Don't really care for the rest of the gear in this picture, but there doesn't seem to be others.

Yes, actions can be readied also out of combat. You can attack S1 on your surprise round now. After that, roll initiative against:
    S1: (1d20+3)[9]
    S2: (1d20+3)[8]
    S3: (1d20+3)[10]

Show
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-12-11 at 12:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

Aerin slashes savagely at the lizard-gnome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rabid Wolf Strike: (1d20+12)[25] Critical threat check (on 19 or 20): (1d20+12)[26] Damage: (4d6+4)[18] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[14] Aerin's AC is 12 until her next action
    Initiative: (1d20+6)[14]

19. - Top - End - #259

Aerin moves smoothly into the room and swings at two of the creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move to C12. Steel Wind: If S1 is still standing, targeting it and S2, otherwise S2 and S3.
    Attack on S2: (1d20+8)[24] Critical threat check (on 19 or 20): (1d20+8)[10] Damage: (2d6+4)[8] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[15]
    Attack on not-S2: (1d20+8)[15] Critical threat check (on 19 or 20): (1d20+8)[18] Damage: (2d6+4)[11] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[7]

20. - Top - End - #260

Griffon

Aerin slashes savagely at the lizard-gnome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rabid Wolf Strike: (1d20+6)[19] Critical threat check (on 19 or 20): (1d8)[7] Damage: (1d20+4)[11] Critical damage: (1d4)[3] Aerin's AC is 12 until her next action
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[23]
    The closest sneak is taken completely by surprise, not even having time to blink before Aerin stabs him in the gut.

Aerin moves smoothly into the room and swings at two of the creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move to C12. Steel Wind: If S1 is still standing, targeting it and S2, otherwise S2 and S3.
    Attack on S2: (1d20+6)[19] Critical threat check (on 19 or 20): (1d8)[7] Damage: (1d20+4)[11] Critical damage: (1d4)[3]
    Attack on not-S2: (1d20+4)[23] Critical threat check (on 19 or 20): (1d4)[4] Damage: [roll6] Critical damage: [roll7]
    The swing cuts finishes the first target, but the crossbow holder jumps out of the way unscathed. He takes a step back and sends a bolt flying. The other takes a step to the side and slashes at Aerin with her blades, one attack goes wide, but the other strikes quite deep for such a small blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    S3
    Attack: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d8)[7]

S2
    Attack1: (1d20+4)[11]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]

Attack2: (1d20+4)[23]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

11 damage. See OOC.

Aerin's turn. Btw Kish, could you update Aerin's sheet? I think the maneuver list is a bit out of date. And is Aerin in a stance currently?
    Show
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-12-11 at 02:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Aerin slashes back at the one that hit her and turns to pursue the one with the crossbow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using Stone Bones on the one with the blades: (1d20+8)[14] Critical threat (on 19 or 20): (1d20+8)[22] Damage: (2d6+4)[14] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[11]
    5-foot to D11.

22. - Top - End - #262

Griffon

The nimble sneak dodges Aerin's blade and comes after her to strike again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack1: (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage: (1d4)[2]

Attack2: (1d20+4)[19]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]

I believe both hit? So 5 damage.

The crossbowman drops his weapon and draws two daggers from his belt, though has only time to use one and not that skilfully.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage: (1d3)[2]

The sound of running steps echo from the corridor and August appears at the door holding a light mace. "What..?" The strange appearance of these intruders freezes him for a moment.

Show
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-12-11 at 02:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263

"Less freezing, more fighting," Aerin says, slashing at the one who's stabbed her and stepping to the west.
    Spoiler
    Show

Regaining maneuvers and fighting defensively: (1d20+6)[24] Critical threat (on 19 or 20): (1d20+7)[18] Damage: (2d6+4)[8] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[10] AC is currently 18 against the crossbowman, 19 against the one who's hit her already. Move to C11.

24. - Top - End - #264

Griffon

The sneak with the long blades shrieks when Aerin cuts her. "R-right", August pulls himself together and smashes the mace into the sneak's skull.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+2)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-12-11 at 03:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    S2 had little HP left so it doesn't matter much, but here's the crit confirmation: (1d20+2)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

The former crossbowman doesn't look happy to be the last one left standing of his team. He starts to edge towards the door, one of his blades hitting Aerin on the way, though not deeply.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Attack1: (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage: (1d3)[2]

Attack2: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage: (1d3)[3]

Aerin's turn. HP: 21/45

Show
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-12-11 at 03:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266

"Now would be a real good time to surrender," Aerin tells him, stepping to block his movement. "Don't let him get past you!" to August.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move to C12, use Stone Bones: (1d20+8)[12] Critical threat (on 19 or 20): (1d20+8)[21] Damage: (2d6+4)[12] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[10] Current AC against him 17.

27. - Top - End - #267

Griffon

The sneak chooses to try rushing past, and push August out of the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    First he provokes an AoO from Aerin. If that doesn't knock him out, he tries to Bull Rush August 5 ft. backwards.

August's AoO: (1d20+2)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]

If that misses, opposed Str checks
    Enemy: (1d20-4)[1]
    VS August: (1d20+1)[14]

28. - Top - End - #268

Spoiler: Attack of opportunity
    Show
    (1d20+8)[11] Critical threat: (1d20+8)[17] Damage: (2d6+4)[10] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[11]

29. - Top - End - #269

Griffon

The sneak evades Aerin's blade, but gets a mace to the face for his trouble, failing to escape the room. Still, he doesn't look willing to surrender.

30. - Top - End - #270

"'Or die' it is, then. I suggest you push him away from the door." Aerin steps back and slashes at the sneak again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to C13, regaining maneuvers. (1d20+8)[13] Critical threat: (1d20+9)[23] Damage: (2d6+4)[10] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[8]