New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Erfworld 62 - Page 56

This page took me 22 and a half hours to letter. And yes I will do the big map panel as a blowup. Enjoy.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 62 - Page 56

Uh oh.

I would assume that Parson planned for a strike on the 'weak' hex, but does he know about the Arkenpliers? I can't recall if they've been mentioned or not. If he didn't factor them in, that could be... ugly.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now we must wait to see what comes after Parson's opener, and whether he's foreseen this possibility for Ansom's reprisal. Once again, Rob and Jamie, you leave us in suspense, and I for one will be coming back for more.
    May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrm... what's Parson got planned now?
    Presumably, he intentionally left that hex appearing weak, while hiding some more dwagons in it to decimate the forest units. (Note that he said Ansom's lack of military intelligence would add a new dimension to the plan.)
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Hokay -- so Ansom and Vinny have figured out the basics of Parson's plan, and are coming up with a reasonably well thought-out counterplan....

It just keeps getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    Hrm... what's Parson got planned now?
    Presumably, he intentionally left that hex appearing weak, while hiding some more dwagons in it to decimate the forest units. (Note that he said Ansom's lack of military intelligence would add a new dimension to the plan.)
    According to Parson's plan, the B-dwagon protective-wall stacks had 4 and 5 dwagons each, but Vinnie's scout only found 3 in the far-hex stack. That could just mean that it didn't find the last dwagon before becoming a tasty meat snack.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-06-19 at 10:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Transfer two dwagons from each neighboring B hex to whichever hex is being attacked, and have a warlord move over to coordinate. Full stack, leadership bonus, element of surprise maintained, and LEEEEEROY JENKINS.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

pclips -

I didn't know you did partially clips too :) Good stuff!

Aquillion -

He's got it covered (or should). His dwagon's have move still, what's to stop them from shuffling around now that he knows that they know which hex is weak?

Or perhaps that center hex is a lot stronger then they think it will be... would be a nice way of rolling up the forest capable units, to lure them in to such a predictable maneuver.
    --G

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I have this strange feeling that the center hex is actually empty, leaving the counter attack surrounded by dwagons once they punch through.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I am completely lost, guess i need to just keep reading
    just keep reading
    just keep reading!
    And then we burn out........AND FADE AWAY!!!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beren One-Hand View Post
    I have this strange feeling that the center hex is actually empty, leaving the counter attack surrounded by dwagons once they punch through.
    OK. I hadn't thought of that!

AWESOME COMMENT AWARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo27 View Post
    I am completely lost, guess i need to just keep reading
    just keep reading
    just keep reading!
    Can you clue us in a little more than "completely?" Or do you just need John Madden to draw it out for you?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I believe Admiral Akhbar summed up this situation best.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Actually I was thinking that now too. That the center is a trap and the A dwangons are even farther away than we think they are (as there are still a lot of white hexes on the map...including the one behind the "weak hex").

13. - Top - End - #13
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Transfer two dwagons from each neighboring B hex to whichever hex is being attacked, and have a warlord move over to coordinate.
    Er, it's Ansom's turn....

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm guessing its Ansom's turn since Vinny could move his bats so Parson can't shuffle troops around right now. But this is pretty much a trap somehow related to the fog of war Ansom's acting under. My guess is there are 4 dwagons Ansom didn't account for sometime during his turn.

Ansom doesn't yet realize there's a new warlord, he is still acting under the assumption Stanley's moving the troops and responding with standard tactics. 7
    Last edited by Ogenki; 2007-06-19 at 10:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Glad I'm not the only person in the boat hoping that the center hex is empty as a trap. :)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    I believe Admiral Akhbar summed up this situation best.
    "It's a trap!"
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Jan Zizka, eat your heart out.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I don't think so, Parson's plan makes a lot more sense now. Since Ansom has no ability to see into the center hex, Parson has most likely hid either nothing there, or something other then wounded dwagons. Operating under the fog of war (nice fog on the map BTW) Ansom would have to waste scouts to find out nothing about that base hex. I have a feeling that the wounded dwagons are making up the side that faces Ansom and the center hex contains fully healed dwagons.

Unfortunately, we must wait until Saturday to find out. :(

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now this part of the battle reminds me of the Three Kingdoms. If Ansom and Co are sure that the "base" hex they have no intel on contains the damaged dwagons and warlords, I believe they're about to be dissapointed.
    might just play the wall with this mean look on my grill
    act like i'm the hater that hates you from hateville
    -
    Though I may not appear to be an actual hater, I assure you, my quiet hate for the stupid is very real, and I do have both authentic hater cred and a ballpeen hammer."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Parson probably does not know what the pliers do full, no one really does, but with his new gadget he can probably "math" his way out of this one

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can Ansom tell the strength of the dragons by attacking them? If not, Parson could've pulled a fast one on him by placing the weak dragons in the "protective ring" and moving the strong dragons into the center. And by providing an obvious weak spot, he can put 3 strong dragons there and ensure Ansom encounters exactly what he expects to encounter...

Until the two dozen+ full-strength dragons in the center hex obliterate his counter-attack. With a warlord to boot for massive XP gain.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmm, anyone else think all the injured dragons are the ones forming the circle and the fresh dragons are in the middle? Since Ansom has no way of knowing, he'll just assume it's the weak ones being protected and walk right into a lot of healthy dragons

Edit: And Mike slides in for the win, dang my slow typing!
    Last edited by Letifer; 2007-06-19 at 10:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm guessing the pliers won't be involved. Ansom's just brandishing them because he mentioned the uncroaked (the plairs destroy uncroaked with a touch.)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GambitDash View Post
    Aquillion -

He's got it covered (or should). His dwagon's have move still, what's to stop them from shuffling around now that he knows that they know which hex is weak?

Or perhaps that center hex is a lot stronger then they think it will be... would be a nice way of rolling up the forest capable units, to lure them in to such a predictable maneuver.
    --G
    Sure, the weak hex is a trap. The problem is, does he know about the Arkenpliers? He can't make a plan against them if he doesn't know about them. He could be relying on, say, withdrawing a warlord in combat, not knowing that Ansom can re-croak it instantly, before he has a chance to react. And Ansom has that flying carpet, so he's a flying unit, too.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2007-06-19 at 10:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Are we sure Ansom has no way of telling a Fresh dwagon from a wounded one? Since warlords can see unit stats, might they also be able to see how wounded a unit is as well?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Letifer View Post
    Hmm, anyone else think all the injured dragons are the ones forming the circle and the fresh dragons are in the middle? Since Ansom has no way of knowing, he'll just assume it's the weak ones being protected and walk right into a lot of healthy dragons
    Vinny lost a bat to probe each surrounding hex so they would know. My guess, its basically a 1 sided battle of 1 bat vs. the dwagon stack. Apparently that counts as a engagement (the first bat he lost was during Stanley's turn was the engagement Parson 'won') Vinny can see through the bat's eyes so they should be able to tell unit strength.
    Last edited by Ogenki; 2007-06-19 at 11:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

I'm still holding out on Fool-a-mancy coming into play. Maybe there -are- actually 4-6 dragons in that stack, in addition to that middle hex being empty (*nestle nestle*). You don't give up 3 good dragons when you could give up less. But.. if something -does- go ary, retreating those dragons without warlords (Arkenpliers making uncroaked to dust!) to pick and choose engagements is going to be disasterous.

...And does anyone else get reminded of Haley and (female) Roy when looking at some of the coaltion forces, or is that just me?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Heh, first thing that came to mind after reading this was "The center hex is empty". Nice trap. He hides the A dwagons further away, and makes it look like he's protecting the weakened dwagons and commanders in there. He's sacrificing three dwagons, however, to set up this trap. Going around would consume enough move that after realising the center hex is empty, they wouldn't have enough move to move on to where the real dwagons are, even if they managed to find them (by losing more bats). And since dwagons are so strong, Ansom would probably send all that he has available, (except for the fliers he's holding in reserve).

This turn looks like it's going to be quite frustrating for the prince.

EDIT: Hmm, this brings an interesting point. Can the bats tell how wounded the dragons are, or only the number and type? If they can't tell, then placing the wounded dragons around the healthy ones would be the sneaky thing to do. The problem is, can you 'withdraw' during someone else's turn before the battle? This way the three dragons would stand a chance not to die. Also, if they're the weak dragons, they might die too fast and raise some alarm in Ansom.

I'll wait and see, I suppose.
    Last edited by Kian; 2007-06-19 at 11:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uncroaked? Can say WHOOPS?
    I'm not lazy, just efficient

Town-ness

30. - Top - End - #30

Not there. The units are not there. It clearly states in his original plan that no guarding hex will have less then 4 B dwagons guarding. This was before Parson knew that no one would be able to see his units. It's risky because if they HAD found the units the A dwagons would be dead but Vinny must have very few bats... OR perhaps stopped scouting after they found that first group.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! THey will attack, break in with everything and find... NOTHING!!!!

This is so what I want. Strategy and tactics. This is the first time you can really look at the war from a Wargamer perspective. Thank- you for providing this authors!!!

Could you explain the legend for the units on the map too by any chance? Also, how long is the convoy?

Bleh, ninjad while writing out this. Why do I always get timed out when I write long posts? I lost the whole thing when I put in the wrong password by mistake too...
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2007-06-19 at 11:03 PM.