New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [PEACH] Warlord

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [PEACH] Warlord

Oh, Battle Inspiration dice is a fine name, too. As far as d4s vs d6s, since you don't start with spells I figured starting at d6 was fair, even with the additional use over a Bard's inspiration dice, but, I suppose with martial weapons, better armor, and higher hit points, it's neither here nor there.

I do think your class is overall a solid Marshal/Warlord successor from 3e/4e to 5e otherwise. Many of the higher level features did seem appropriate and well-written. I'll keep checking back to see where you're going with it.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    Oh, Battle Inspiration dice is a fine name, too. As far as d4s vs d6s, since you don't start with spells I figured starting at d6 was fair, even with the additional use over a Bard's inspiration dice, but, I suppose with martial weapons, better armor, and higher hit points, it's neither here nor there.

I do think your class is overall a solid Marshal/Warlord successor from 3e/4e to 5e otherwise. Many of the higher level features did seem appropriate and well-written. I'll keep checking back to see where you're going with it.
    Thanks. At least I did something right there!

I just realised that your suggestion for the dice allows the warlord himself to benefit from them as well. Initially the idea was that warlord could only affect creatures other than himself, and that he could later use stratagems to accomplish special combat tricks that would aid his allies in other ways, such as riders for his own attacks (like the maneuvers)

Would you say that it works if the so called "inspiring words" (THP, or a bonus to one skill, attack, and saving throw + later bonus AC and riposte) would only affect his allies, and later, when warlord learns commander's strike, distracting strike, and the one from sub-class, they could use one of those at-will 1/turn. And the remaining maneuvers/stratagems could be used either by yourself or be bestowed to allies.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-02 at 07:16 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I just realised that your suggestion for the dice allows the warlord himself to benefit from them as well. Initially the idea was that warlord could only affect creatures other than himself, and that he could later use stratagems to accomplish special combat tricks that would aid his allies in other ways, such as riders for his own attacks (like the maneuvers)

Would you say that it works if the so called "inspiring words" (THP, or a bonus to one skill, attack, and saving throw + later bonus AC and riposte) would only affect his allies, and later, when warlord learns commander's strike, distracting strike, and the one from sub-class, they could use one of those at-will 1/turn. And the remaining maneuvers/stratagems could be used either by yourself or be bestowed to allies.
    Ah... yeah, that I was kind of iffy on, at-will maneuvers and different subsets of inspiration/stratagems/maneuvers that can or can't be used by the Warlord himself. I personally think it's cleaner to just let him "inspire" himself, I suppose another argument for the "Tactical Dice" nomenclature, rather than try to have so many different categories of powers for the class, but it is your class after all, and you should do what feels right to you.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    Ah... yeah, that I was kind of iffy on, at-will maneuvers and different subsets of inspiration/stratagems/maneuvers that can or can't be used by the Warlord himself. I personally think it's cleaner to just let him "inspire" himself, I suppose another argument for the "Tactical Dice" nomenclature, rather than try to have so many different categories of powers for the class, but it is your class after all, and you should do what feels right to you.
    Oh, okay. I see.

While Warlord certainly is a class of my design, I would still prefer that everyone reading it "could take the class as their own", so to speak. Afterall, my aim is to try to please the general audience, and if someone, even if only one, dislikes a tentative design like that, I'll scrap it.

And besides, I must admit that even I felt that it would've been more than a little convoluted. Maybe it's for the best if it was as simple as possible; it's only one aspect of the class, not the main schtick.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-02 at 05:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Major update:
    - Inspiring Words replaced by Battle Inspiration (dice start at d4 and increase to d12)
    - Combat Leader renamed as Banner
    - Banner renamed as Inspiring Words and slightly modified.
    - Stratagems as additional options to use Battle Inspiration for.
    - Both the Warlord and his or her allies can use Battle Inspiration for most Stratagems. Only Warlord can use Commander's Strike and Distracting Strike.
    - at 7th level, each sub-class learns a unique stratagem, available only to them. In addition, starting from 7th level, each sub-class can use Commander's Strike, Distracting Strike, and their unique stratagem without expending a battle inspiration die, but neither do they add the battle inspiration die to damage while doing so; this ability can be used once per short rest.
    - Stalwart re-purposed to be of better use to Battle Inspiration: It's basically the Warlord's version for Font of Inspiration, but kicks in at 6th level.
    - Inspiring Defense re-designed to further accumulate with Battle Inspiration by providing defensive uses for Battle Inspiration, and an improvement for temporary hit points gained through the dice.
    - Tactician's, Vanguard's, and Tyrant's presences re-designed.
    - Tyrant's presence expands Battle inspiration to be used on enemies in a same way as Lore Bard's Cutting Words does.

Check it out and please, do tell what you think.

I think that Warlord might be ready for playtest by now, but what would you say?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-03 at 07:29 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

I'm worried the Warlord drags pretty badly between 3rd and 5th levels. You've got 2-4 uses of Battle Inspiration per long rest and you're just picking up feature after feature that lets you use Battle Inspiration, but no way to generate extra uses. Given that it seems like it's supposed to be a primary power source I'd be inclined to base it more off Superiority Dice progression than Bardic Inspiration. I truly think it should be short rest recharge from 3rd level rather than 6th.

The Tyrant heavily incentivize a dex based Warlord. Is that intentional? Given that it's 3rd level feature is Unarmored Defense (the other stuff is nice, but again you've only got a handful of Inspiration Dice a day for the next two levels) I feel like it's going to attract almost exclusively Halflings, Tieflings, Drow, etc. I love the rage features, but they come online so late that I question whether most Tyrants would ever really see them.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    I'm worried the Warlord drags pretty badly between 3rd and 5th levels. You've got 2-4 uses of Battle Inspiration per long rest and you're just picking up feature after feature that lets you use Battle Inspiration, but no way to generate extra uses. Given that it seems like it's supposed to be a primary power source I'd be inclined to base it more off Superiority Dice progression than Bardic Inspiration. I truly think it should be short rest recharge from 3rd level rather than 6th.
    A valid observation. Hmmm... I guess I could swap the positions of Logistics and Stalwart with each other. In fact, I'll do that now.

The Tyrant heavily incentivize a dex based Warlord. Is that intentional? Given that it's 3rd level feature is Unarmored Defense (the other stuff is nice, but again you've only got a handful of Inspiration Dice a day for the next two levels) I feel like it's going to attract almost exclusively Halflings, Tieflings, Drow, etc. I love the rage features, but they come online so late that I question whether most Tyrants would ever really see them.
    Good catch! No, it's not intentional. I was actually hoping it would incentivize a more barbarian-esque character with somewhat more strength oriented approach. Maybe I should drop the Berserk Rage to 3rd level. Would you say that would fix it? If I did, should I keep the Menacing Inspiration options at 3rd level as well, or push them a bit further up the levels?
    the Unarmored Defense is bit of a tentative feature, it could be dropped, since warlord has proficiency with heavy armor after all.

QUICK EDIT: Unless... Maybe if I gave the Warlord only up to medium armor proficiency, and had the Training determine if they had heavy armor proficiency. In that case it would incentivize the Vanguard more to the heavily armored juggernaut I envisioned it anyway.

Maybe something along these lines:

A Tactician is focused in maneuvering in combat, so increased mobility might be their cup of tea: Fast Movement +10 feet while wearing medium, light, or no armor. maybe also expertise in Deception.
    A Vanguard is focused in holding the frontlines as an immovable obstacle and a beacon of inspiration: Heavy Armor Proficiency. maybe also expertise in Persuasion.
    A Tyrant is focused in being a frightening opponent, demoralizing his foes at every possible turn: War Paint (Unarmored Defense with 10+dex+cha). maybe also expertise in Intimidation.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-04 at 05:57 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

OK, lets start picking this apart and finding all good and bad bits (of course, all in my own opinion)

First, Formatting, while most of it is OK, please look at how each thing is listed in the PHB or Basic rules, most people don't give a **** but it just triggers me.

Second, Banner is great, i really like the flavour and Mechanics of it. Battle inspiration is a Problem, it works too much like a Bard and then some. even if the dice start as d4s you are treading on a Classes abilities, for example a lore bard doesn't get to use his dice on himself at all until level 14, and he doesn't get to use them on saving throws or attack rolls. Since it is battle Inspiration I recommend reducing it to Str, Dex and Con saves and checks, instead of all saves and checks. Keep the temp hit points and attack rolls because that obviously makes sense.

Third, the Proficiency are fine, though i recommend switching from wisdom Saves to Dex or Con, and I'd put persuasion on the skill list as well.

Fourth, I'd make the wording more clear for using stratagem, Are allies allowed to use Stratagem?, I can't tell.

fifth, I like the Tactician, and Most of the Vanguard, this follows from my second point, A Fighter of the Champion Archetype has the exclusivity and should always have that exclusivity of being able to crit on an 18 - 20, anything that includes the same mechanic should be removed. why? because it makes light of that heavy mechanic which makes up an important part of the archetypes identity. the reason i haven't said any about the battle master is because they still get 4 attacks and can do other things. a Champion Fighter can't.

sixth, at first when I saw the Tyrant I thought it was bad, but when i looked at it again, It's actually pretty good. I, personally, would restrict it from ability checks though to make it less like cutting word.

I would post a link to my edit of Rawrawraw's version but I'm new here. I would do this, because all the advice i get from other DM's are one of three things (plagiarize, Comprise and Improvise )

I think it would Inspire you further.

anyway keep up the good homebrewing.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

A Tactician is focused in maneuvering in combat, so increased mobility might be their cup of tea: Fast Movement +10 feet while wearing medium, light, or no armor. maybe also expertise in Deception.
    A Vanguard is focused in holding the frontlines as an immovable obstacle and a beacon of inspiration: Heavy Armor Proficiency. maybe also expertise in Persuasion.
    A Tyrant is focused in being a frightening opponent, demoralizing his foes at every possible turn: War Paint (Unarmored Defense with 10+dex+cha). maybe also expertise in Intimidation.
    I like this idea, it really helps to make each of the archetypes show what it is that they are good at.

As for the concerns with the battle inspiration, for most campaigns I understand the concern with moving into the territory of bard, however with the low magic campaign you are planning I feel that they are fine, but for most campaigns, it does step in the area of bard, what you could do is have the number of uses follow the superiority dice system, and the progression be what you have now to truly capture that the ability is combining the bardic inspiration and the superiority dice.
    Last edited by Llama513; 2017-01-04 at 02:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Goblin

QUICK EDIT: Unless... Maybe if I gave the Warlord only up to medium armor proficiency, and had the Training determine if they had heavy armor proficiency. In that case it would incentivize the Vanguard more to the heavily armored juggernaut I envisioned it anyway.

Maybe something along these lines:

I think this is definitely a solid plan. It's a relatively simple tweak that reinforces basic but meaningful distinctions between subclasses. You're sacrificing some amount of archetype flexibility but with the Rage features earlier in the progression I expect you could still see Dwarf or Half-Orc Tyrants.

11. - Top - End - #71

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Tyrant View Post
    Battle inspiration is a Problem, it works too much like a Bard and then some. even if the dice start as d4s you are treading on a Classes abilities, for example a lore bard doesn't get to use his dice on himself at all until level 14, and he doesn't get to use them on saving throws or attack rolls. Since it is battle Inspiration I recommend reducing it to Str, Dex and Con saves and checks, instead of all saves and checks. Keep the temp hit points and attack rolls because that obviously makes sense.
    This is Arkhios's thread and I don't want to step on his toes but I profoundly disagree about this. The Inspiration features are filling radically different roles in the two cases. Bardic Inspiration is a way for Bards to throw a little party support around without cutting into their primary rest resource (the spell slots) while the Battle Inspiration ARE the primary rest resource for the Warlord. The Lore Bard can't use his dice on himself until 14th level because that's not the point of the Bardic Inspiration. The Warlord needs more flexibility with these dice simply because they're carrying a lot more of the character's basic utility. To my mind it's not stepping on the Bard's toes in the same way the Cleric's full casting progression isn't stepping on the Paladin's toes. They're different levels of access to similar abilities which reflect the different power sources and intended roles of the two classes.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This is Arkhios's thread and I don't want to step on his toes but I profoundly disagree about this. The Inspiration features are filling radically different roles in the two cases. Bardic Inspiration is a way for Bards to throw a little party support around without cutting into their primary rest resource (the spell slots) while the Battle Inspiration ARE the primary rest resource for the Warlord. The Lore Bard can't use his dice on himself until 14th level because that's not the point of the Bardic Inspiration. The Warlord needs more flexibility with these dice simply because they're carrying a lot more of the character's basic utility. To my mind it's not stepping on the Bard's toes in the same way the Cleric's full casting progression isn't stepping on the Paladin's toes. They're different levels of access to similar abilities which reflect the different power sources and intended roles of the two classes.
    Well Argued, Gives me something to think about in more detail, I still kind of feel it treads on 1 core mechanic of the Bard, Also to step on a Full Paladin's toes is to go 15 cleric/ 5 Paladin and use 9th level smites (because they still get 9th level Spell Slots). If you want to talk about this further, start a new thread I'd be happy to further debate with you, if i have time

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

OK, lets start picking this apart and finding all good and bad bits (of course, all in my own opinion)

First, Formatting, while most of it is OK, please look at how each thing is listed in the PHB or Basic rules, most people don't give a **** but it just triggers me.
    I'm sorry, was that a compliment or critique? Anyway, I tried (as I do care) to keep the formatting as close to PHB as possible. I guess I got a bit carried away here or there.

Second, Banner is great, i really like the flavour and Mechanics of it. Battle inspiration is a Problem, it works too much like a Bard and then some. even if the dice start as d4s you are treading on a Classes abilities, for example a lore bard doesn't get to use his dice on himself at all until level 14, and he doesn't get to use them on saving throws or attack rolls. Since it is battle Inspiration I recommend reducing it to Str, Dex and Con saves and checks, instead of all saves and checks. Keep the temp hit points and attack rolls because that obviously makes sense.
    The Inspiration features are filling radically different roles in the two cases. Bardic Inspiration is a way for Bards to throw a little party support around without cutting into their primary rest resource (the spell slots) while the Battle Inspiration ARE the primary rest resource for the Warlord. The Lore Bard can't use his dice on himself until 14th level because that's not the point of the Bardic Inspiration. The Warlord needs more flexibility with these dice simply because they're carrying a lot more of the character's basic utility. To my mind it's not stepping on the Bard's toes in the same way the Cleric's full casting progression isn't stepping on the Paladin's toes. They're different levels of access to similar abilities which reflect the different power sources and intended roles of the two classes.
    Flashy's comment on this was spot on. I must say I couldn't have said it better.

Third, the Proficiency are fine, though i recommend switching from wisdom Saves to Dex or Con, and I'd put persuasion on the skill list as well.
    I had to check what was the 4th edition warlord's save bonuses, and they received +1 to Fortitude and +1 to Will. Since Will was determined by either Wisdom or Charisma in 4th, I guess it could make some sense to change the saves to Constitution and Charisma. About persuasion, I honestly thought I did put it there. I guess not. I did intend to. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fourth, I'd make the wording more clear for using stratagem, Are allies allowed to use Stratagem?, I can't tell.
    I did mention under Stratagem, on the subhead Battle Inspiration, that allies could fuel any stratagems you know, with the intention that yes, allies are allowed to use stratagem as well, but I guess it might need to be clarified a bit.

fifth, I like the Tactician, and Most of the Vanguard, this follows from my second point, A Fighter of the Champion Archetype has the exclusivity and should always have that exclusivity of being able to crit on an 18 - 20, anything that includes the same mechanic should be removed. why? because it makes light of that heavy mechanic which makes up an important part of the archetypes identity. the reason i haven't said any about the battle master is because they still get 4 attacks and can do other things. a Champion Fighter can't.
    Thanks. Tactician is probably the most iconic Warlord I could think of, so I had some strong expectations for it. Glad to hear I succeeded.
    On the improved critical range I admit it was lazy design from my part, but as I couldn't come up with anything better at the time, I decided to add the opportunity attack rider on a critical hit. Maybe I should instead give them advantage with opportunity attacks? I know this would be somewhat tempting for a rogue dip, but I think that's fine. You get the feature at 15th level, so at best you'd get +3d6 extra damage on an opportunity attack. Not too much, I think. Besides, then you wouldn't get the 20th level pretty awesome ability (which was borrowed and slightly redesigned from a Warlord's Epic Destiny from 4th edition).

sixth, at first when I saw the Tyrant I thought it was bad, but when i looked at it again, It's actually pretty good. I, personally, would restrict it from ability checks though to make it less like cutting word.
    Thanks for the first part. (Although I do appreciate your opinions, I would say Flashy's comment above applies to this as well).

I would post a link to my edit of Rawrawraw's version but I'm new here. I would do this, because all the advice i get from other DM's are one of three things (plagiarize, Comprise and Improvise )

I think it would Inspire you further.

anyway keep up the good homebrewing.
    In all honesty, I feel a bit awkward if someone plagiarized something I've made and then changed it. I may be a bit strange saying this, but it feels like inappropriately touching in my private areas.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback!
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-04 at 06:55 PM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've made some changes to the Warlord due to previous discussions.

Proficiencies:
    - Heavy armor proficiency moved to Vanguard only.
    - Wisdom saving throw proficiency changed to Constitution saving throw.
    - Added Persuasion (and Deception) to list of skills.

Class features:
    - Warlord's Training renamed Military Discipline for better flavor.
    - Added a sidebar about Banners (page 2, under class table)
    - Updated Inspiring Words to only affect a certain number of allies.
    - Changed Inspiring Word - Bolster to more closely resemble Inspiring Leader feat.
    - Clarified Stratagem to better convey the intent of being available for you and your allies with Battle Inspiration dice.
    - Added Swift and Shrewd to Tactician: Fast Movement and Deception expertise
    - Added Adamant to Vanguard: Heavy armor proficiency and Persuasion expertise
    - Vanguard's Stance now provides advantage on opportunity attacks instead of improved critical range.
    - Split Tyrant's Unarmored Defense from Menacing Presence as its own feature: War Tattoo (Unarmored defense and Intimidation expertise)
    - Berserk Rage is now an 11th level feature (couldn't justify myself to let Tyrant have three major features at 3rd level, and on the other hand, I couldn't justify replacing 7th level feature either.)
    - Incite Rage moved to 15th level.

Thoughts:
    - I didn't feel like removing Discipline related stratagems as they are flavorful for each discipline, in my honest opinion.
    - I'm not exactly sure if it's alright that Bolster is essentially a copy of a feat. Maybe in a featless game it adds some edge?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-04 at 08:28 PM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm Sorry about this honest, but maybe painful, critique of formatting. Im really Sorry

I'm sorry, was that a compliment or critique? Anyway, I tried (as I do care) to keep the formatting as close to PHB as possible. I guess I got a bit carried away here or there. :
    What I meant by this is, Since you use Home-brewery, The "Martial Discipline" Title at the start of the list is two hashes (#) and should be, but each Discipline should be three hashes (### Tactician) and each of the abilities should be four.

Also have a look at your table, it is a bit different to the progression.

A list of Abilities such as Stratagem (which are like Invocations of the Warlock and the Maneuvers of BM) are generally listed at the end of the Class / Subclass in the PHB.

Anyway, enough of that

Attacks of Opportunity happen rarely in my games, so it seems a bit weak on paper to me. The only thing I can think of is Hypocritical of my previous Statements, But would kind of fit , the Shadow Monk's Opportunist ability.

There is an ability, If i remember correctly, that as a reaction, the warlord could dash up their ally when they go down and heal them, which increased for each attack of Opportunity they took. just something to throw out there.

Sorry again.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm Sorry about this honest, but maybe painful, critique of formatting. Im really Sorry

What I meant by this is, Since you use Home-brewery, The "Martial Discipline" Title at the start of the list is two hashes (#) and should be, but each Discipline should be three hashes (### Tactician) and each of the abilities should be four.

A list of Abilities such as Stratagem (which are like Invocations of the Warlock and the Maneuvers of BM) are generally listed at the end of the Class / Subclass in the PHB.

Anyway, enough of that

Attacks of Opportunity happen rarely in my games, so it seems a bit weak on paper to me. The only thing I can think of is Hypocritical of my previous Statements, But would kind of fit , the Shadow Monk's Opportunist ability.

There is an ability, If i remember correctly, that as a reaction, the warlord could dash up their ally when they go down and heal them, which increased for each attack of Opportunity they took. just something to throw out there.

Sorry again.
    No need to be sorry for that
    I'll fix the hashes, and move the list of stratagems to the end of the class, just after Tyrant.

Aaand it seems I forgot to swap Logistics and Stalwart on the table, silly me.

That "dash to the rescue" is actually pretty nifty idea!

Let's try how this feels:

Intercept (Yoink, World of Warcraft's warrior!)
    When an ally within the range of your base land speed who you can see is about to be hit by an attack, you can use your reaction to Dash and move to your ally. You push the ally 5 feet away from you to an empty space of your choice and take its place. Your ally then receives resistance against any damage from the attack, advantage against any saves that might occur, and gains temporary hit points equal to the total damage it takes from the attack, after resistance. You take the remaining of the damage which can't be reduced in any way, and you are also subjected to any saves your ally would make.
    You can use this feature once before you must finish a short or long rest.

(Help for pruning out the wording would be appreciated)

I'll have to wait for tomorrow at least to update the homebrewery because today's my birthday and I'll officially become old -.-
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-05 at 05:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'll put any suggested changes in " These "

Intercept (Yoink, World of Warcraft's warrior!) That's probably where the Devs for 4th ed got the idea
    When an ally within the range of your base land speed, who you can see, "would be hit by or take damage from a Weapon attack, spell attack or Area of Effect spell" (Not sure how to word this, because some spells like Tsunami or spells that do Psychic damage shouldn't be affected by this), you can use your reaction to Dash and move to your ally. You push the ally 5 feet away from you to an empty space of your choice and take its place. "They do not take any damage and cannot be affected by any additional effects the weapon attack or Spell would cause, but you are subjected all damage and effects your ally would take instead. You and Your ally also gain temporary hit points equal to twice your Charisma Modifier"
    Edit: Almost Forgot, Happy Birthday
    Last edited by Sad Tyrant; 2017-01-05 at 11:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's try how this feels:

Intercept (Yoink, World of Warcraft's warrior!)
    When an ally within the range of your base land speed who you can see is about to be hit by an attack, you can use your reaction to Dash and move to your ally. You push the ally 5 feet away from you to an empty space of your choice and take its place. Your ally then receives resistance against any damage from the attack, advantage against any saves that might occur, and gains temporary hit points equal to the total damage it takes from the attack, after resistance. You take the remaining of the damage which can't be reduced in any way, and you are also subjected to any saves your ally would make.
    I'm curious as to why you have it so that the ally gains resistance to the damage from the attack, but then gains temp hp equal to the damage taken. Couldn't that lead to odd cases like you use the ability, your ally gets knocked down and takes 20 damage, then gains 20 temp hp. The cleric then heals your ally back up to full, but still with those 20 temp hp. Your ally is now more durable than he could be even fresh from a rest and a full heal, thanks to you tackling him out of the way. Which seems a bit odd.

Why not just have this prevent the damage completely?

Intercept
    When a creature who you can see is hit by an attack, you can use your reaction to push them to safety and take their place. You immediately move up to your base land speed to occupy their position, and push the ally into an adjacent, unoccupied space. This creature suffers no damage from the attack and gains advantage against any saves that might occur. You take damage from the attack as though you were the original target, though you gain resistance to its damage, and you are also subjected to any saves the attack entails.
    Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

I also changed "ally" to "creature" in this ability, just because that seems to be more in line with how 5E words things (and because hey, maybe in some weird circumstance somebody might want to tackle an enemy out of the way of an attack for some reason!).

And happy birthday!
    Last edited by Steel Mirror; 2017-01-05 at 12:48 PM.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Mirror View Post
    I'm curious as to why you have it so that the ally gains resistance to the damage from the attack, but then gains temp hp equal to the damage taken. Couldn't that lead to odd cases like you use the ability, your ally gets knocked down and takes 20 damage, then gains 20 temp hp. The cleric then heals your ally back up to full, but still with those 20 temp hp. Your ally is now more durable than he could be even fresh from a rest and a full heal, thanks to you tackling him out of the way. Which seems a bit odd.

Why not just have this prevent the damage completely?

Intercept
    When a creature who you can see is hit by an attack, you can use your reaction to push them to safety and take their place. You immediately move up to your base land speed to occupy their position, and push the ally into an adjacent, unoccupied space. This creature suffers no damage from the attack and gains advantage against any saves that might occur. You take damage from the attack as though you were the original target, though you gain resistance to its damage, and you are also subjected to any saves the attack entails.
    Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

I also changed "ally" to "creature" in this ability, just because that seems to be more in line with how 5E words things (and because hey, maybe in some weird circumstance somebody might want to tackle an enemy out of the way of an attack for some reason!).

And happy birthday!
    Honestly, I'm not sure. Intercept was the byproduct of 1 minute thinking and I'll take a better look at the reaction to the feature when I'm not drunk or otherwise "distracted" of the felicitation.

Edit: Just saw the edited part which I didn't notice with my less-than-sober eyes earlier. Good thinking on the ally -> creature change, and on the hilarious thought of tackling an enemy! Made my day.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-06 at 05:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Finally got into fixing those hashes, and I must say, I felt there was something strange with how they looked but couldn't put my finger on it. Thank you for noticing that! Now it should be better.

First I had an idea that Stalwart would work for it, but then I decided that Logistics is far better as the class feature that lets you regain battle inspiration on a short rest rather than long rest, and I forgot to make changes to reflect that. Now, the table and the abilities themselves should match.

Also, moved the stratagem list to the end of the document, as was my intention. Which, unfortunately, I forgot to do. So, thanks again!

What would I do without you, my fellow Giants, with this same head the whole year through. Memory check, natural 1.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, that I made some further changes to the class features. Nothing that makes the early levels much different, only replaced dungeoneer's pack with diplomat's pack, and then decided to add Intercept word for word how Steel Mirror suggested. I think that should work perfectly.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-06 at 06:07 PM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

21. - Top - End - #81

The alignment on Tactical presence and Vanguard's Goad is off

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Llama513 View Post
    The alignment on Tactical presence and Vanguard's Goad is off
    That I can't help with, columns work under their own inherent rules, and what you see is what you get.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

23. - Top - End - #83

That I can't help with, columns work under their own inherent rules, and what you see is what you get.
    Under the Editor drop down there are column breaks and page breaks that I have used to format some of my homebrewery in order to get it to line up right, unless its just me, and the original is lined up properly

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Under the Editor drop down there are column breaks and page breaks that I have used to format some of my homebrewery in order to get it to line up right, unless its just me, and the original is lined up properly
    Oh, okay. Didn't know of that. Will see to it if I can't fix that. Actually, that doesn't help with the rows being unaligned between columns. It only allows to force a new column.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-06 at 06:02 PM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

25. - Top - End - #85

oh, okay. Didn't know of that. Will see to it if I can't fix that.
    Glad I can help Darn, well it was worth a shot
    Last edited by Llama513; 2017-01-06 at 06:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Intercept is really cool, glad that you said the creature is pushed to safety, otherwise that could have been abused, I'm going to take this hit in order to shove this enemy right off that cliff, while funny I am glad that is not allowed with the ability

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Intercept is really cool, glad that you said the creature is pushed to safety, otherwise that could have been abused, I'm going to take this hit in order to shove this enemy right off that cliff, while funny I am glad that is not allowed with the ability
    Yeah, it would get really wonky if I didn't specify it had to push the target to safety.

An experimental idea:
    Starting at 9th level, and again at 13th and 17th level, you have one additional Battle Inspiration die and you can target one additional creature with one use of Battle Inspiration, expending dice individually for each target.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-01-17 at 06:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

After a long-ish hiatus from homebrewing, I added a feature called Strategic Acumen at Warlord's 1st level.

This was made to make the class appeal to larger base of races and play styles. Check it out!
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Long time no sea.

Pet projects are never finished enough to be satisfied ...enough. I've come to admit that I've been avoiding the eventual undertaking I'm about to discuss about shortly.

First, however, I'd like to sincerely thank you all for the support and complimentary comments towards the Warlord I've wrapped up. I'm humbled.

So, thank you.

Now, onto the matter at hand.
    As some of you may have noticed (doesn't have to be Einstein to do that, to be honest), the Stratagems I have listed for the Warlord in its current state, are pretty much exact copies from Battle Master Fighter's Combat Maneuvers. I'd like to remedy that, and make them more unique to the Warlord. This means I will have to cut out some of them, and likewise, I may have to create completely new ones instead, where necessary. As of now, I have come up with only one change, but I'd still like to hear what you think about the change and direction of the undertaking.

Here's an updated version of:

Commander's Strike: When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forgo up to two of your attacks and use a bonus action to direct your companions to strike. When you do so, choose a number of friendly creatures who can see or hear you equal to the number of attacks you forgoed. A chosen creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding your Strategic Acumen modifier to the attack's damage roll.

Note: I am aware that this change has consequences all over the Warlord and I am prepared to make changes accordingly.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014