New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 22: Our neighborhood watch is extra vigilant

Sphinx Hole

Hugh gives a yowl of anger and pulls at the other two ropes, second at first and then the other if the first pull doesn't get her out of these horrible paws.
    Everything about this is horrible.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Sphinx Hole ==> Way up high!]

Pulling the 'pokemon sphinx' rope does exactly what is advertised. Hugh gets the luxray body and zapdos wings back. Electric power, but no riddles. Thankfully she's still got vaguely handish paws. That other rope, though...

Well, two things happen at once.

First? Hugh will suddenly find herself jerked upright as her form reorients itself from a quadrupedal stance to a bipedal one. That might be a little jarring.

The second part, though, might be even more jarring.

Mostly because Hugh is no longer inside her home.

Nope.

She's been transported exactly one might directly above it.

Gravity finds this situation to be wholly unacceptable and immediately demands that Hugh come down this instant.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Keiko's Tower]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Keiko nods

Yeah! We need to have a good hunt!

Oooh! Ooh! Oooh! I snagged a suit of Tammy's weird tiny-machine-infested armor and told it that it had to fit, and the tiny machines did it! And they ate a whole pile of coal while they did: it was the weirdest thing to watch, ever!

Sandra smirks, still happily sporting her own instance of that particular armor.

It does look pretty awesome on her, actually.
    "The nano-armor? I really should have taken a suit of that when I had the chance."
    Hunter is admiring just the armor, and not the Sandra inside it, of course. >.>
    "Mhm. I'll send you a prayer."

"Where did you have a whole pile of coal lying around?"

Dancing Fox Inn
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Mist smiles and shakes his head.
    You know, you can talk to me whenever you want. he thinks, knowing Message can probably hear it.
    I know. But it's harder to talk to someone who doesn't talk to me first unless they're in the right place.
    There's all sorts of rules about this.
    So hi! Have you thought any more about what you want to do? Practiced any more aspect-happening? I could probably find more volunteers; so many people are unhappy as they are.
    Of course they might just end up unhappier.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Keiko's Tower]

Of course :)

Sandra grins and turns this way and that to give Hunter a better look.

Keiko looks embarrassed

Well, I didn't of course and when the tiny machines said that they needed carbon and silly-con I had to go look it up on my phone. I went to a shop and got them some charcoal, and then they said that they needed minerals.
    Well, the best place to get minerals is... well... Minerals: so I shifted over there to where coal and stuff was and let them start working but then the elemental guy who was in charge came over all grumpy and stuff and wanted to know why I was eating his front lawn. I said I hadn't really thought of it that way and I was sorry but the tiny machines needed carbon and silly-con and stuff and they didn't want to stop now so was there anything I could do 'cause I am a demigoddess after all.
    Well, he wanted this weird rock that was way far away so I left the machines to their meal and went and got it. The weird rock just had an icky little demon guy guarding it, so I ate him because I was hungry by that time, and I brought the rock back to the elemental who then promised to be my friend forever now and let the machines finish up. Then I came home and Sandra told me I was a silly, and then I was tired and came back to have a nap with my eggs and I woke up hungry again so I called Sandra to watch the eggs while I went to snack on the fish down in the cave and now here we are!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-05-13 at 02:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Dancing fox Inn

Mist doesn't quite understand the question.
    Do about what? And no, I haven't done any more practicing. It's not something that really happens very often. he admits.

High in the Air

Hugh flails, unfurling her wings but not doing much else besides yelling. Unless instincts were crammed into her brain she hasn't a clue how to fly!
    "Y-you know, other than location this really isn't that different at all!" she mutters between yelling.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2016-05-13 at 06:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

[Not quite as high in the air as last round]

Turns out the wings DO come with some degree of instinctual understanding of flight! How handy. Not enough to fly well, but enough to fly better than your average rock, which is what Hugh is doing right now.

No better time than the present to test those wings out, right?

Certainly beats slamming into the ground at terminal velocity, which certainly seems to be the alternative.

Get those wings flapping, Hugh!

The ground is rushing up to meet you for a nice hug!

Though said hug would be some while away, yet.

A mile is a pretty long fall.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

High-Ish in the Air

Well, it will take a while, but Hugh should be able to get the hang of spreading her wings and leaning a bit to get a spiraling descent, and hopefully that's enough to keep her from hitting the ground hard.
    And at least the fall didn't whip away the weird shawl thing her clothes turned into.

8. - Top - End - #158

[A moderately rough landing]

More the sort of landing that makes you go 'Ooof!' and scrape a knee than the sort that breaks bones.

So that's a good thing, right?

You know what else is a good thing?

That pokemon trainer watching Hugh eat dirt into someone's lawn. Or maybe manage to land on her feet with some degree of feline grace. I guess we'll find out.

"I'm pretty sure you're a pokemon," the kid observes once Hugh lands.

"Buzz," agrees his weird bug-bear companion. Though to Hugh that'll sound more like <Totally a pokemon.>

Hey, Hugh learned a new language! Does that count as another power?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

A Rough Landing By a Sphinx Hole

Hugh lands a bit roughly, landing on her feet and falling onto her knees, which avoid being scraped too bad by her fur. Oh, these legs aren't even bending the right way! She shakily gets to her paw-feet and totters over to her door.
    "Yeah, well, I'm also a sapient resident of Inside, so if you try anything it's kidnapping." she snaps.

10. - Top - End - #160

[Outside Hugh's House]

Hmm...

Does the door to Hugh's home seems... exactly the same size as Hugh should remember it. Which, if she thinks about that too much, may stand out as an unusual observation.

"Then how come you aren't registered as a no-catch?" the kid asks as he looks down at his old-school style pokedex. "You're not allowed to catch no-catch pokemon because they paid the registration fee, then they're registered as a no-catch pokemon and pokeballs don't work on them."

Huh.

Well.

Apparently bureaucracy is good for something after all.

...though that also means that pokemon who are not registered risk getting kidnapped by precocious children. Like, say, sapient pokemon who randomly find themselves dumped into the Nexus. Or non-pokemon who are suddenly pokemon, which is a pretty serious malady.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Hugh's House

"I'm not registered because I'm not a pokemon!" she shouts and opens her door, enters, and swings it behind her, snapping the deadbolt behind her.
    She checks the door again just to see if those pull-ropes are still there. "Bad enough to have to ruin my life for a week, not been kidnapped by teenagers is a distinct possibility." she grumps.

12. - Top - End - #162

[Sphinx Hole]

Hey now, not all pokemon trainers are teens.

Some of them are adults.

And some aren't even teens yet!

Because giving the control of creatures that pack power comparable to military grade weapons to children is a very responsible thing to do.

It would appear the pull-ropes are gone, though. They've been replaced by a note.

Quote Originally Posted by Note
    Hey! You should really go practice with those wings some more! Nothing like a good flight to loosen you up. And if you want to get rid of the pokemon look, just concentrate really hard on NOT being a pokemon and it'll be gone. I took the liberty to resize your house for you! And your property. Good thing increasing the size of the Nexus a little bit at a time is so easy. It'll change back at the end of the week if you decide to go back to being boring-old-you again. May advice? Go do something fun instead of sulking around so much! Otherwise you've just got perpetual Dead Time to look forward to.
    <3 Fortuna

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Sphinx Hole

Hugh would prefer the lightning over the riddles, but she's not risking kidnapping for a power she isn't keeping anyway. She rips the note off the door and lets it fall gently into a trash bin.
    Just to be spiteful, she concentrates really hard on the idea of her being her old self, nice and boring. And male, though she still hasn't noticed the difference as there's been no reference to it by Forte or the pokemon trainer, and unless she's changed again her figure isn't particularly feminine enough that she'd notice just from looking down at herself. Or maybe she is like that and her player just didn't notice. Either way, what she's thinking of isn't a pokemon, so does that count?

14. - Top - End - #164

[Sphinx Hole]

Focusing heavily on NOT POKEMON results in all those blues and yellows draining back to the more neutral linxsphinx coloration. Which also means FAR less pointy wings. As for figure? Well... It isn't exaggerated by any means. But if someone knows what a female humanoid looks like, it should be pretty obvious to them that Hugh is a gal. Considering how fuzzy Hugh is right now she isn't particularly indecent, though. Especially with that form altered outfit that her clothing randomly transformed into. Though, one way or the other, it doesn't look like Hugh is going to be able to go back to being his old self before the ascribed week is up.

Poor former half halfing.

Looks like she'll just have to put up with this nonsense for seven more days-

-assuming she can continue being all grumpy and totally annoying about it.

Because if she starts to enjoy it...

Well. Then she'll be having a lot more fun with riddles.

15. - Top - End - #165

Default [Keiko's Tower]

"Silicon, Keiko. Do you need a chemistry lesson?"
    Wonder what the weird rock was that had the elemental so friendly.

"Well she was right about that. You are silly."
    Cleo steps up to pat Keiko on the head.
    "So now that your armor fits, are you ready to see the spiders? I mean, I still think we don't need to, but you would know."

[Dancing Fox]

You said once that you weren't sure you wanted to keep running the inn. It probably could happen more often.
    If you wanted, of course.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Sphinx Hole

Not necessarily. She could get stuck as a sphinx because she likes flying but never grow to like riddles. Right?
    I suppose is does depend. Many cat-people are of the variety that lean towards the animal nature and are more muscle than figure. Or maybe those are mostly Lost's. Either way, when Hugh brings herself to look in a mirror she does finally notice the feminine features of her face and chest. Said chest might be feathery, but it's no less a girl's. And that only makes her more upset! She was almost calming down because she was finally on two legs again, too! After all, most of her own suggestions to Fortuna were better because they had been at least humanoid, with monkey features or therianthrope shape or harpy wings. This isn't so bad, but the human face stuck in the middle of all this cat fur just looks weird! She starts digging through her drawers, finding all her clothing now being weird female clothes with a Greek or sometimes gypsy sort of aesthetic. "What do I do now? My name doesn't even sound girly at all! Could the foxes help?" she muses out loud.

Really, as a part-halfling Hugh was normally very upbeat and optimistic, but (s)he's also good at things she sets her mind to, and Forte's setup has made her laser-focused on hating everything about this. Maybe there's something Forte can do to convince her to relax and enjoy it? It would have to require changing something about this though, because just sitting at home or even going out with the threat of "hate this or stay furry" is rather stressful.

Dancing Fox Inn

Oh. I think I'll keep at it for now. I don't want to seek anyone out but I guess I can try more if you have people who need help. comes his response.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2016-05-13 at 09:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Keiko's Tower]

Keiko freezes. After a long minute, she shakes her head

I so want to babble... it's so comforting and easy. But no...

My darling, the celestial spiders would be a fun trip to the desert - warm and pleasant and safe. Queen Alice is a dear and I think you'd like her, and the Fenethi are just so cute and the Akarthi are so very cool, and we could talk to Killick and his wife... but ...

It doesn't matter, because I just can't go see her right now, with our eggs incubating. The dark lady, the one and only ten-tailed fox? It's too dangerous. And while I'm sure that Leah and my sisters would make fine step-parents... We can't risk it... I think the relics of ancient Nippon can wait a little longer.

she looks down

I can't.

Stephanie looks both quite surprised and genuinely impressed.

18. - Top - End - #168

[Sphinx Hole]

"Foxes can't help, don't even bother,"
    Fortuna says, suddenly invading Hugh's personal space again. She reaches behind Hugh's ear with one of her massive claws and pulls out-!

...a character sheet?

"You're making this waaaaay too complicated," she says as she pulls out a pencil and begins reading the sheet of paper. Should Hugh try snatching said paper back, Fortuna will hold her at bay with one of her feet. "Someone wanted me to make you more interesting and here you are being a big sourpuss about it."

There's that awful pun again.

"Let's see... Name: Hugh. Nah, need something else. How about Psyche?"
    Fortuna asks. She doesn't even wait for a reply before writing the new name. "Race: Half Halfling. Didn't even know that was a thing. Father was a halfling and mother was a human? Nope, that won't do," she says as she erases 'halfling' and pencils in 'sphinx'. "Sex, male. Gender, masculine. Not anymore. Sex, female. Gender, feminine. We'll leave sexual orientation alone. For now."

Dun dun dun?

"Good at focusing on things! Sure. Interested in literature? How about: Interested... in... literature... and... riddles..."

Unless Hugh Psyche doesn't mind Forte totally rewriting her character sheet, she had better do something quick.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Sphinx Hole

Many, many miles away, a halfling in his late middle-aged years is suddenly an androsphinx, though he can't remember why he feels like something important just happened.
    Meanwhile, many legal documents rewrite themselves as our heroine has more and more things warped. Her female proportions aren't weird anymore. Rather, they never have been, leaving only a vague notion that her being a girl was just important. She goes forward to protest the weird dragon but gets a hoof in her face and falls over, and misses a few seconds distracted by a riddle from The Hobbit that drew itself on the floor ten minutes ago.
    "I don't get it, what are you even doing? What about my orientation?" she asks, confused. It's hard to process the conversation when things keep suddenly being true. Psyche is generally into girls. Shorter girls of about her height. She's never been picky aside from being mostly human, since she...was...hrm. This seems problematic.

20. - Top - End - #170

[Sphinx Hole]

"Nothing!" Fortuna giggles back, doing her best to suppress the snickering. Straight: into humans, the entry is amended. Gotta make sure it stays reasonably consistent. Besides, wouldn't that be cute?

Hmm...

Come to think of it, changing those entries probably turned Psyche's father into a sphinx, too? Oh well! He was probably boring, too.

"Mildly adventurous, but held back by personal doubts? Oh geeze..." Forte groans. "No wonder you were so boring. How about... adventurous... but... cautious... well... acquainted... with... personal... strengths... and... limitations..."

That sounds WAY more interesting!

What else? Likes dogs? That's fine. Thinks equestrians are adorable? Not many humanoids that don't. Thinks boss is a dragon? Hahaha! Probably! Enjoys new things? Sounds about right. Wonders what being tall or flying would be like? Ha! Erase that. Write in 'Great at flying!'

"Would... smooch... a... draconequus..." Fortuna concludes before leaning down to give Psyche an absurd Bugs Bunny style kiss.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Sphinx Hole

Sure did, Forte. And since we'll assume it didn't change her dad into a terrible monster (metaphorically speaking), that means it also changed her mom so that she had a thing for weird cat-creatures.
    And thanks to that last change, thinks that a draconequus is cute in a silly cartoony way. But not this one. She still has opinions about this one!
    Speaking of changes, Forte's changes should domino a little, causing the sheet to add and change a few things now that Psyche's brain has had a minute to think about always being a sphinx.
    -Dislikes physical confrontations
    -A bit self-conscious about her stubby lynx tail
    -Wonders if anyone thinks her bipedal-ness is more weird than a normal sphinx would be.

"What do you think you're doing? I haven't a clue what's going on but I know you barged into my house and made me a pokemon thing for like five minutes!" she demands, leaning away from the kiss.

22. - Top - End - #172

[Sphinx Hole]

"Just testing the waters!" Fortuna cackles. "Trying to figure out what will make your mysterious benefactor happy. And having a little fun myself! After all, why should you get all the fun? That would be absurd!"

There are a lot of things about this situation that are absurd.

Like Forte surreptitiously tucking Psyche's character sheet back behind the half-sphinx' ear whilst smooching her. Said sheet promptly vanishes as if it had never been.

"And don't worry, I won't be here much longer. It looks like my job is just about done. I've got juuuuuuust one thing left to do!"
    she says, giving her claws a SNAP! and causing an old, worn book to appear floating in mid-air. "That mysterious benefactor of yours wanted you to have this little guy. A journal of a traveler and explorer, one Abdul Alzahar. He found a lost city, see. A forbidden city full of wonders! And he wrote a journal about how to get there."

Fortuna pushes the still hovering book toward Psyche.

"But the book is written in riddles and puzzles. Your benefactor thought you might be able to have some fun with it! Do or don't that's not up to me. Toodles!"

And then with another snap of her claws, Fortuna vanishes as the book settles down on Psyche's coffee table.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Sphinx Hole

Sadly, Psyche does not drool or have her eyes bug out at the prospect of the book. Forte wrote "interested" in riddles, not "obsessed with."
    "Sounds like a guy with too much time on his hands who likes making things more complicated than they had to be." she mumbles, but leafs through the book once the weird dragon is gone. Nothing better to do.

24. - Top - End - #174

[Keiko's Tower]

Stephanie? Step-parents? Okay, first I take a moment to work out what's supposed to be happening here. Sandra, Aunts. Or maybe guardians? Much better.

Then I slip back into my proper shape and nuzzle against Keiko.

"Or a lot longer. You're right, and you have a lot to see through. Not much is more important. I'm really glad you saw that. And reminded me."
    "But don't stop babbling completely; I'd miss it."

Hunter takes a chance to slip out of the room and be on her way.

[Dancing Fox]

That's just fine by me.
    Comes a reply. And it's totally serious.
    "Aren't there always people who need help?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #175

[Sphinx Hole]

Someone can be pretty enthusiastic about things without being obsessed. After all, a sphinx tends to collect riddles (and jokes and stories and parables and so on) in much the same way a dragon collects treasure. Of course, Psyche is only half sphinx, so that probably tempered her thirst for esoteric knowledge slightly. As for the book, it's interesting to say the least. Scrawled in spidery hand-writing and illustrated with detailed sketches of strange, afar off places. Psyche will be able to tell right away that the journal contains instructions for reaching somewhere. Several somewheres, in fact. The book is providing instructions in the form of riddles on a sort of scavenger hunt to find one's way to the final destination.

A final destination which, if the book is to be believed, is filled with riches and ancient knowledge alike.

It's a pretty tempting journey...

Though Psyche can't just up and go running off all willy-nilly.

She has responsibilities! What about work?

What about reading to the children at the library?

What about her weekly flight-jogs around the City? Her friends would no doubt worry if she just up and vanished.

If she DOES decide to check this out, it'll require some prep time.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Keiko's Tower]

Keiko nuzzles back, then chuckles

I couldn't stop altogether if I tried!

Sandra chuckles

We've already got flying pigs from Keiko acting halfway grown-up, let's not stop the world from spinning altogether!

Keiko sticks out her tongue

Don't you have anything else to do, you angel wraith person you?

Sandra giggles, waves, and vanishes. Keiko shakes her head. Then she breaks into a grin herself.

Now, not wanting to risk death or eternal imprisonment right this moment doesn't mean I want to sit around in the cave all the time either! There's plenty of fun things around waiting to be messed with.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-05-17 at 07:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Dancing Fox Inn

Mist chuckles.
    Well yes, but not always ones you're responsible for, and not always ones that I have the power to help. he explains.

28. - Top - End - #178

[Keiko's Tower]

Cleo waves goodbye to Stephandra, laughing the whole while. Apparently Keiko's hidden capability of being responsible was buried pretty deeply.

"Of course not. You're about to tell me you've already gotten tangled up in something, aren't you?"

[Dancing Fox]

Matching laughter from her.
    It's an encouraging saying; you aren't supposed to take it literally. But seriously I've got a couple people I think you could help, and I'll send them your way.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Dancing Fox Inn

Mist nods, taking the request seriously. He also assumes Message can sense him nodding. Or at least giving a sign of affirmation.
    Okay, I'll do my best for them. Should I know anything about them beforehand?

30. - Top - End - #180

[Dancing Fox Inn]

Sadly his nod went unobserved. But his words get the point across.
    Nothing I know of, except hey're all kind of new here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine