New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXII: Where Puns Go to Die

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Two strong good guys turned evil... great.
    Speaking of which, whatever happened to the theory that Nahiri and Avacyn were one and the same? Was it just shut down by Wizards?
    That theory was shaky to begin with for a number of reasons, notably a series of reactions (or lack thereof) on Sorin's part that made the claim not fit with the evidence. It was completely jossed when we got cards for both of them this set.

Anywho. On the subject of theories, I've been thinking a bit, and I've got an Eldritch Moon/Innistrad's Past theory that I think may be plausible:

Spoiler: Rampant Speculation
    Show
    Back in time, far before Avacyn before even Edgar Markov, Innistrad was, believe it or not, a far more hostile place. Back in the days before Avacyn, the Angels struggled to defend humanity. But defend humanity from what? Vampires did not exist back then. Demons were bad, but evidently manageable, given that the unnamed W/B Archangel was willing to pact with them. But again, what did the Angels need the help do deal with? Skabaren and Ghoulcallers tend to be rather squishy, and it takes but one Angel to deal with them.

I propose that the creatures so terrible that Angels could not deal with them, and were willing to side with witches and demons to deal with, were the Horrors we see peeking out in Shadows over Innistrad. Creatures such as the Awoken Horror and Gitrog Monster, creatures that presently sleep deep underwater. Creatures that Nahiri is awakening through the Drownyard.

I also propose that these horrors are the primordial reason behind Innistrad's current gothic themes. Skabaren created creatures from their dead fellows that could stand against the Horrors' magic. (Hence the horror typing on a lot of zombies, and how they dodge Awoken Horror's bounce.) While Skabaren were successful, they couldn't make enough; thus, the tradition of the ghoulcaller was founded. Over time, the horrors were driven into the deep places of the world, albeit at cost of a famine that eventually led Edgar Markov to his infamous discovery. Only the oldest vampires remember them; the heads of the Stromkirk line, for instance, who revere them in their absence.

When the horrors were driven back, however, the Skabaren and Ghoulcallers didn't want to abandon their art. Thus led to them becoming ostracized by the community, becoming the monsters themselves. This would also explain why Angels tend to leave Ghoulcallers and Skabaren alone; they remember why they came to be in the first place. It also explains the massive rise in Horror typing in Shadows as compared to original Innistrad, preparing for future tribal themes when the horrors resurface in Eldritch Moon.

Thoughts?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Response to rampant speculation:
    Interesting theory. Basically what I'm getting from it is that the old monsters were horrors, and now previous horror "worshippers "have become horrors themselves. So is Avacyn the one who drove back the horrors? What motive does Nahiri have for bringing back horrors?
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Interesting theory. Basically what I'm getting from it is that the old monsters were horrors, and now previous horror "worshippers "have become horrors themselves. So is Avacyn the one who drove back the horrors? What motive does Nahiri have for bringing back horrors?
    Nahiri is all "BLARG MAKE SORIN PAY", which feels like motivation enough. And Avacyn being the one to drive back the horrors makes sense given her stated role as a comeback mechanic for humans. Maybe the enchantments involved in her creation are starting to fail or something though, because while she's getting stronger on schedule, she shouldn't be turning that strength on the humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #34

The worshippers aren't becoming the horrors. They're just waking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Nahiri is all "BLARG MAKE SORIN PAY", which feels like motivation enough. And Avacyn being the one to drive back the horrors makes sense given her stated role as a comeback mechanic for humans. Maybe the enchantments involved in her creation are starting to fail or something though, because while she's getting stronger on schedule, she shouldn't be turning that strength on the humans.
    Correct on all counts, but it's all but confirmed that the Cryptoliths are altering the mana of Innistrad to mess with Avacyn's head, which in turn disrupted the Cursemute. There may be another enchantment Avacyn is supplying to suppress the horrors, but I've no evidence to cite for that.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Stuff is going on on Innistrad
    Show

I am totally rooting for a Marit Large reveal.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Yung Crunk View Post
    So I'm constructing a cube that's just terrible cards. Making some progress, but the line that divides 'playable at a stretch' and 'awful in its every single aspect' can be a bit blurred at times. I need suggestions for the latter. I'm looking for the Sorrow's Paths, Viashino Skeletons and Mindless Nulls of the world.

Bear in mind we have a surplus of cards that are terrible for being too expensive for what they do. If you guys can suggest some completely ineffectual low mana cards like Defensive Stance or Filthy Cur, or something.
    Hmm...

Lands:

Spoiler
    Show

These are tricky because they need to be terrible but still playable sometimes over basic lands.
    Aysen Abbey cycle (This cube has splashable cards? These are nominally fixing)
    Bant Panorama cycle (if you want to support bad Domain cards)
    Contested War Zone
    Dakmor Salvage
    Encroaching Wastes
    Glimmervoid (This is a carrot; it baits people into drafting unplayable artifacts and untenable splash cards. It's only good if you've gone out of your way to make the rest of the deck terrible.)
    Madblind Mountain (combos with Moonring Island. But generally useless)
    Moonring Island (combos with Madblind Mountain. But generally useless)
    Primal Beyond (marginal; include it if you only have strong elemental presence in two colors)
    Rainbow Vale (combos with nonbasic hate)
    But if you don't mind them not being playable over basics you have some other options:
    Adventurers' Guildhouse cycle
    Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    Cloudpost
    Eye of Ugin
    Maze's End (If you do this, I'd put 1-2 Gates in the cube. Probably exactly one.)

White
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing clever here yet
    Creatures:
    Abbey Matron
    Alabaster Leech
    Arctic Foxes (odd land hate is a proposed theme, but mostly in other colors)
    Aysen Highway (It turns all your creatures into Plainswalkers! That's crazy... oh wait.)
    Energy Storm
    Squire (classic)
    Healing Salve (classic) or Shieldmate's Blessing (updated)
    Worthy Cause

Blue
    Spoiler
    Show

Archmage Ascension
    Amoeboid Changeling (Not powerful, but has fun interactions. He's a glue card for your inherently underpowered minor tribes)
    Aven Envoy
    Balduvian Conjurer (for whom you might want to include some snow lands)
    Index
    Political Trickery or Shifting Borders (supporting the nonbasic theme)
    Reality Twist
    Skill Borrower (copying what?)
    Vedalkin Plotter (supporting the nonbasic theme)
    Wizened Snitches

Black
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm going with a 'I hate my teammates' theme with the creature base, which is not only mostly inefficient but also has strong anti-synergy with itself.
    Accursed Centaur
    Brain Gorgers (actually a 4 mana edict)
    Lord of the Pit
    Minion of Leshrac
    Painwracker Oni
    Sleeper Agent (hates you back)
    And an 'I hate my minions' theme with the spells:
    Altar's Reap (Draw two and do what with them? They suck too.)
    Kaervek's Spite
    Oni Possession
    Phyrexian Tribute
    Skulltap (alter's reap #2)
    Strongarm Tactics
    Tendrils of Despair
    Vampirism

Red
    Spoiler
    Show

The theme here is "there's no way to get enough of these to actually kill someone with"
    Arc Runner
    Ball Lightning
    Crazed Goblin
    Hellspark Elemental
    Spark Elemental
    And the dudes who don't stick around to attack
    Goblin Pyromancer (watch the tribal; you want a few other goblins in the cube to make it just barely useful if you draft all of them)
    Norin the Wary
    Lavacore Elemental

Red gets an unnecessary nonbasic land hate theme.
    Crumble to Dust or Sowing Salt
    Detritivore
    Fissure Vent (...or an overpriced Shatter)
    From the Ashes (...use with your own nonbasics for fixing)
    Mercadia's Downfall (becomes good if the opponent has 2+ basic lands in play)
    Ore Gorger (...and an overpriced creature)
    Price of Progress
    Weight of Spires

And some random spells:
    Bloodshed Fever (what passes for removal in this format)
    Burning Inquiry
    Instill Furor (alternate version of Bloodshed Fever)
    Collateral Damage
    Pyromancer Ascension

Green
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't have anything clever here yet, so I'm supporting off-color themes
    Feast of Worms (nonbasic hate)
    Quest for the Gemblades
    Skyshroud War Beast (nonbasic hate)
    Sophic Centaur (the self-anti-synergy is delicious)
    Tempting Wurm

[/spoiler]
    Artifact :
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Creatures
    Leveller (too bad to include?)
    Phyrexian Dreadnaught
    Phyrexian Soulgorger
    Soldevi Sentry
    Quote Originally Posted by Spells
    Celestial Prism and/or Standing Stones
    Dragon's Claw cycle or Throne of Bone cycle
    Soldevi Digger (pretty good endgame plan if you manage to mill yourself out, useless before then)
    Spellbook
    Spirit Shield or Spidersilk Net
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-03-24 at 01:43 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Hmm...

Lands:

Spoiler
    Show

These are tricky because they need to be terrible but still playable sometimes over basic lands.

But if you don't mind them not being playable over basics you have some other options:

White
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing clever here yet
    Creatures:

Blue
    Spoiler
    Show

Archmage Ascension
    Amoeboid Changeling (Not powerful, but has fun interactions. He's a glue card for your inherently underpowered minor tribes)
    Aven Envoy
    Balduvian Conjurer (for whom you might want to include some snow lands)
    Index
    Political Trickery or Shifting Borders (supporting the nonbasic theme)
    Reality Twist
    Skill Borrower (copying what?)
    Vedalkin Plotter (supporting the nonbasic theme)
    Wizened Snitches

Black
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm going with a 'I hate my teammates' theme with the creature base, which is not only mostly inefficient but also has strong anti-synergy with itself.

And an 'I hate my minions' theme with the spells:

Red
    Spoiler
    Show

The theme here is "there's no way to get enough of these to actually kill someone with"

And the dudes who don't stick around to attack

Red gets an unnecessary nonbasic land hate theme.

And some random spells:

Green
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't have anything clever here yet, so I'm supporting off-color themes

[/spoiler]
    Artifact :
    Spoiler
    Show

I see you fall into a quite common trap of taking cards that are normally good (or at least better than awful), but bad in this cube. That is the exact opposite of what you want to do, you want to have awful cards that are actually useful in the cube.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    I see you fall into a quite common trap of taking cards that are normally good (or at least better than awful), but bad in this cube. That is the exact opposite of what you want to do, you want to have awful cards that are actually useful in the cube.
    This. Not that I don't appreciate the effort. The idea is that, in this new context, Accursed Centaur becomes a snap keep.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anyone know why Might of Old Krosa is so expensive? I recently traded away one on Pucatrade for 879 points. Googling shows it's played in Modern Infect, but it doesn't seem like a particularly rare effect - Monastery Swiftspear, for comparison, is only 387 points.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Does anyone know why Might of Old Krosa is so expensive? I recently traded away one on Pucatrade for 879 points. Googling shows it's played in Modern Infect, but it doesn't seem like a particularly rare effect - Monastery Swiftspear, for comparison, is only 387 points.
    It's an uncommon, it's one of the few one mana +4/+4 pumps, and it was only ever printed in a single set. All of those are going to make it a card that's high demand for players, competitive or not.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Time Spiral: Very little opened, fairly old.
    Khans of Tarkir: Very much opened, fairly recent.

An uncommon critical to the functioning in a deck that was only printed once, nearly a decade ago, at the low point of Magic sales, is logically going to cost more than an uncommon printed a year or two ago in a highly opened set. Also bear in mind that Infect is one of the cheapest decks in modern and a lot of people want to enter that format; Infect has a disproportionately high demand among casual players compared to its tournament success rate.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

So I'm constructing a cube that's just terrible cards. Making some progress, but the line that divides 'playable at a stretch' and 'awful in its every single aspect' can be a bit blurred at times. I need suggestions for the latter. I'm looking for the Sorrow's Paths, Viashino Skeletons and Mindless Nulls of the world.

Bear in mind we have a surplus of cards that are terrible for being too expensive for what they do. If you guys can suggest some completely ineffectual low mana cards like Defensive Stance or Filthy Cur, or something.
    I feel the need to bring up Chimney Imp simply because it is Chimney Imp.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

This. Not that I don't appreciate the effort. The idea is that, in this new context, Accursed Centaur becomes a snap keep.
    In that case, may I interest you in this subset:
    Amoeboid Changeling (wildcard tribal is relevant)
    Vedalken Plotter and friends (supporting a light nonbasic hate theme)
    The mana fixing (the bad trilands and panoramas)
    Madblind Mountain+Moonring Island with dedicated fixers (Grixis Panorama and possibly Shard Convergence)
    The black self-sacrifice theme (on the theory that they convert terrible creatures into some other form of value).
    Some inefficient token makers (e.g. Myr Propagator) to actually support the self-sacrifice theme.
    ---EDIT---
    I've come up with theme suggestions for all five colors.

Main color - Theme - Why bad cards with this theme are better here - why it's good for the cube
    White - Buff auras - In the absence of decent instant removal, they are much safer - Enables weaker aura synergy spells like Aura Finesse and some generally insignificant creatures.
    Blue - Donate - Worst case, you got rid of a bad card for some better purpose - Conversely, donates can be used to negate drawbacks (e.g. Islandhome) or turn on hate.
    Black - creature sacrifice and self-discard - The cards you discard or sacrifice are worse than normal - Lets black based decks have a greater tolerance for situational effects.
    Red - Low curve with drawbacks - Early drops take longer to be outclassed - Enables white and black themes
    Green - Ramp - cube has many overpriced effects, including even bad ramp makes them more reasonable - conversely, having ramp makes the high drops more playable. The implied fixing also feeds Domain/Sunburst/Converge.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-03-24 at 02:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

@Bucky most of the cards you suggested are way too good to be in this cube, with terrible cards we really do mean terrible cards.
    Also with a crap cube I don't think synergy is something you pay much attention to during cube building as much as something that just sort of happens afterwards, maybe.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

2 days old now, but possible Emrakul hint.

TLDR:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The flavor text for Tamiyo's Journal has a different entry number in every language. There is a pattern, consistent in every language, using that number and the flavor text of the different Clue tokens, to spell out a message. Using the same pattern leads to the same message in every language: "Remember this, they came as three", a shortened version of what Ugin told Jace in BFZ.

16. - Top - End - #46

In that case, may I interest you in this subset:

-snip-
    I like that you're getting into it. The only issue is that card synergy is fairly incompatible with the tone of the cube. Thanks, though.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamurai77 View Post
    2 days old now, but possible Emrakul hint.

TLDR:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The flavor text for Tamiyo's Journal has a different entry number in every language. There is a pattern, consistent in every language, using that number and the flavor text of the different Clue tokens, to spell out a message. Using the same pattern leads to the same message in every language: "Remember this, they came as three", a shortened version of what Ugin told Jace in BFZ.
    This makes me kinda sad. I LOVE this sort of hinting and such, but I really don't want Emrakul to be the villain for Innistrad.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

18. - Top - End - #48

I didn't think people legitimately cared about the MtG plotline. For me it's just "the thing at the bottom of the text box that I ignore"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

People definitely do. We're called 'Vorthos', in the same way that other people are 'Spike' or 'Johnny'.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't think people legitimately cared about the MtG plotline. For me it's just "the thing at the bottom of the text box that I ignore"
    Everybody hide! It's the Gleemax!
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla_pasta View Post
    This makes me kinda sad. I LOVE this sort of hinting and such, but I really don't want Emrakul to be the villain for Innistrad.
    After hints like that and with Nahiri's ulti, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Emrakul soon
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

22. - Top - End - #52

Yeah. We do. This and Anguished Unmaking make me question why I care, mind you, but there are more fans of the plotline than you think.

Though no one to my knowledge likes the blue tumor known as Jace.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I...I like Jace. More now that he's got some actual characterization going on. I think he's over-used and occasionally poorly-written, but I kinda like the fact that most of the time he just kinda...Bumbles about with no real idea of what's actually going on. Most of Zendikar he was trying to figure out what to do, and probably ended up doing the wrong thing, and his involvement in Innistrad so far has been 'almost die twice and get yelled at by Liliana' which I really appreciate.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Yeah. We do. This and Anguished Unmaking make me question why I care, mind you, but there are more fans of the plotline than you think.

Though no one to my knowledge likes the blue tumor known as Jace.
    I... don't understand the hate for Anguished Unmaking...
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    I... don't understand the hate for Anguished Unmaking...
    It's a good card and portrays a pivotal story moment. The card itself isn't at fault.

My complaint is with the storyline that led up to that point, and that being its climax. Let's take a look at what the creative team was thinking at the start of the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rosewater, Chasing Shadows Part 2
    The Angel theme was very popular and the set sold well, but market research showed that players didn't like the world or mechanics as much. [...] If we were going back to Innistrad, it was clear that we wanted to focus more on returning to where the block began than where it ended. A big part of trying to figure out the story had to do with figuring out how to undo some of what had happened in Avacyn Restored.
    Okay, so they need to retcon Avacyn Restored out of the picture, but without, you know, actual retcons. So, plenty of ways to go. Maybe angels are dying and no one knows why. Maybe the cursemute is taking too much energy to maintain and begins to fade or have horrific consequences. Maybe, and here's a shocker, we get a slice of Innistrad as it was when Avacyn was first around. Sure, there are Skabaren and Vampires, but Angels are protecting people. Not in the overwhelming resurgence of Avacyn Restored, but kind of a halfway point between that and Innistrad, so you attract both the Angel fans of Avacyn restored and the players who liked Innistrad's more gothic flavor.

Or, you know, we can just have the Angels go crazy and try to kill everyone. Easy way to get them out of the picture, right? No one liked AVR; who'd mind?

Oh, Avacyn? That Angel that we spent two of the most popular Magic sets in recent memory trying to save? Eh, let's just kill her off. She's way too powerful for a good guy. Let's have Sorin do it for the drama, despite the fact that he'd much rather fix her or imprison her until he's devised a cure.

It just reads to me like they were trying to handwave Avacyn Restored out of the picture in the most hamhanded manner they possibly could. Even if they kept this tact, keeping Avacyn around would at least give the hope that things could return to a happy median. Instead, they fall to their standard MO of trashing a plane because they can. Zendikar? Trash it. Mirrodin? We only made it to trash later. Khans of Tarkir? Pff, who had any investment in the interesting dichotomy of the clans' conflicting impulses from their unusual mana ties? Let's turn them into the standard two color caricatures, but with DRAGONS! Innistrad? Oh, nice happy ending you got there. Unfortunately, you're popular, so we can't let that stick around.

I dislike Anguished Unmaking as a symptom of wider writing failure, not for what it is on its own.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I like that you're getting into it. The only issue is that card synergy is fairly incompatible with the tone of the cube. Thanks, though.
    I thought the point was to make players find uses for generally useless cards. In any event, cube drafts are inherently about synergy; it will be there in some form even if you design against it. But the cube will play better if you deliberately include some crappy walls to use Animate Wall on.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-03-25 at 02:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

I thought the point was to make players find uses for generally useless cards. In any event, cube drafts are inherently about synergy; it will be there in some form even if you design against it. But the cube will play better if you deliberately include some crappy walls to use Animate Wall on.
    I'd be inclined to agree. Playing with bad cards is fun, but only when you find silly ways to use them. Using Confusion in the Ranks to feed terrible creatures to your opponent? Hilarious. Donating awful creatures or enchantments? Delightful. Animating walls that are usually useless? All of these are fun because there are actually strategies you can use. Bad strategies, but still strategies.

A cube full of awful cards that might work together is fun to theorycraft, and makes for an interesting draft. A cube full of cards so awful that every pick is just "take the least bad card here" doesn't sound fun.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    It's a good card and portrays a pivotal story moment. The card itself isn't at fault.

-snip-

I dislike Anguished Unmaking as a symptom of wider writing failure, not for what it is on its own.
    I totally understand where you're coming from, but I don't feel disappointed by the SoI story as you are. I agree that both BFZ and DoTK were pretty lack-luster, despite having really good set-ups (Especially DoTK... what a waste of a fun setting) but the corruption of Avacyn being used to erase Avacyn Restored actually makes sense to me. When watching scary movies or playing horror games, one of the things I find very effective in creating a scary atmosphere is removing or violating things that make us feel safe. In that sense, I think having Avacyn become a threat rather than a defender is a good way of removing the safety that Innistrad had at the end of the first block.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Many of the cards you suggested weren't bad. It is partly about synergy, but synergy the players happen to find when drafting, not synergy you forced into the cube.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree. Playing with bad cards is fun, but only when you find silly ways to use them. Using Confusion in the Ranks to feed terrible creatures to your opponent? Hilarious. Donating awful creatures or enchantments? Delightful. Animating walls that are usually useless? All of these are fun because there are actually strategies you can use. Bad strategies, but still strategies.

A cube full of awful cards that might work together is fun to theorycraft, and makes for an interesting draft. A cube full of cards so awful that every pick is just "take the least bad card here" doesn't sound fun.
    First off, playing bad cards is absolutely horrible under all circumstances. Secondly, you too are naming cards that aren't bad.
    If you want to make a weird/chaos cube, that's not a half bad idea, but that's not what a crap cube is about.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    First off, playing bad cards is absolutely horrible under all circumstances. Secondly, you too are naming cards that aren't bad.
    If you want to make a weird/chaos cube, that's not a half bad idea, but that's not what a crap cube is about.
    I disagree. My Confusion deck rather a few decent cards (CotR and Teferi's Puzzlebox), but everything else was literally AWFUL. And playing them was fun, because then decent cards turned the awful cards into a strange and ridiculous tactic. :-P

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.