New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXII: Where Puns Go to Die

So with the whole of SOI spoiled I figured I'd give the traditional in-block infinite combo a shot. Surprisingly difficult, as there are very few means of generating mana, untapping things, and (as best I can tell) no way to return instants/sorceries from GY to hand (outside of one card that can return anything).

Possible though. Here's the (ridiculously convoluted) combo I found. I'm sure someone can do better, and I look forward to seeing it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting Conditions:
    1. Your Library is Empty
    2. You have a Mad Prophet in play, not summoning sick
    3. You have 10 other creatures or creature tokens in play, untapped and not summoning sick (you can get away with some tapped if you had lands to kick off the combo)
    4. You have Cryptolith Rite in play
    5. You have Tenacity and Seasons Past in hand
    6. You have any non-4 drop card in your graveyard

Combo Sequence:
    1. Tap 10 creatures (not prophet) for 7WGG
    2. Cast Tenacity to untap all of your creatures (and give them +1/+1 and lifelink as an incidental)
    3. Cast Seasons Past to return Tenacity, and at least 1 non-4 drop card from your graveyard to your hand, Seasons Past goes on bottom of Library
    4. Tap Prophet to draw Seasons Past and discard anything but Tenacity
    5. Repeat

Notes:
    Obviously getting an empty library is pretty unreasonable as a starting condition, but I can't find any other means of cycling Seasons Past. The once nice thing is you only need 4 unique cards, two of which can be in play, and everything else can be generic. Also, when you're ready to end the combo, you come out of it with massive lifelink creatures, so it kind of has an infinite life thing built in.
    Add 1 more creature for infinite mana.
    You can cycle any non-4 drop card along with this combo, just add enough creatures to pay for it and return it with Seasons Past

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

That's not more convoluted than some of the single-set infinite combos we've come up with, so I think it checks out. You used all the right parts (Cryptolith Rite and Tenacity were definitely the elements I thought would be necessary), and your combo ends with attacking for an arbitrarily large amount of damage and/or life. One comment: Mad Prophet has Haste, so you don't need to worry about the summoning sickness.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

? :xm::um:
    Instant
    Choose one -
    +Counter target spell with converted mana cost X.
    +Counter target spell unless it's controller pays X.

Strictly better than at least some X counter cards.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

You can avoid the main problem with your combo (the starting library state) with...
    Spoiler
    Show

Behold the Beyond to find Seasons Past. This replaces the Mad Prophet.

This means more creatures are required to make the loop stable, though it can also bootstrap itself by searching up Haste creatures, or with a token generator+Olivia.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-03-31 at 10:07 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    That is when the other 3 players play "How many counter spells does that blue player have in his hand"
    Which my Mizzix deck admittedly responds with "1: Spellburst, can you get above my experience counters and mana?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    One comment: Mad Prophet has Haste, so you don't need to worry about the summoning sickness.
    D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You can avoid the main problem with your combo (the starting library state) with...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold the Beyond to find Seasons Past. This replaces the Mad Prophet.
    I had considered Behold but thought it was better to reduce the mana (and thus creatures) required than to include another card and push the creature requirement up to 17. Not sure why but to me it seemed easier to mill your entire deck off before triggering your combo than to have out 17 total creatures + an enchantment at any given time. I also thought it reduced the # of unique cards required, but you make a good point about it replacing another card entirely.

After looking at both though, I think you're right. The Behold version of the combo has less restrictive setup requirements. It also has the hilarious note (to me at least) of burning through your entire library in addition to generating arbitrarily large lifelink creatures. With that change it's almost bordering on practical. It's still not (what opponent lets you have 17 creatures with a Rite in play?) but this seems a lot better in hindsight.

Modified SOI Infinite Combo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Starting Conditions:
    1. You have 17 creatures (or token creatures) in play, untapped and not summoning sick (you can get away with some tapped if you had lands to kick off the combo)
    2. You have Cryptolith Rite in play
    3. You have Behold the Beyond in hand
    4. You have Tenacity in graveyard (may also be in hand or library, just need to add a first pass to fetch it and cast it before starting the actual sequence)
    5. You have Seasons Past in your library (may also be in hand, just need to add a first pass to cast it before starting the actual sequence)

Combo Sequence:
    1. Tap 17 creatures for 12WBBGG
    2. Cast Tenacity to untap your creatures (and give them +1/+1 and lifelink)
    3. Cast Behold the Beyond and search up Seasons Past
    4. Cast Seasons Past to return Tenacity and Behold the Beyond from your graveyard to your hand, Seasons Past goes on bottom of Library
    5. Repeat

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    Which my Mizzix deck admittedly responds with "1: Spellburst, can you get above my experience counters and mana?"
    This is where you need two blue decks so they get in to a counter war.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

The infinite-in-set combo challenge doesn't really depend on practicality; we are talking about combos that almost invariably require 4 or more specific cards and a somewhat specific board state (and usually a rather extravagant amount of mana). I think the craziest one so far involved looping your library with Sphinx of the Chimes and Worldspine Wurm

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the craziest one so far involved looping your library with Sphinx of the Chimes and Worldspine Wurm
    The Mirror of Fate loop (M10) was even crazier. Unfortunately, I don't have the details of that one anymore.

The runner up IMO is the Chain Veil engine from M15, requiring 16 specific cards. Though that one's obsolete to the much simpler Midnight Guard/Hornet's Nest/Burning Anger loop.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-03-31 at 03:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    This is where you need two blue decks so they get in to a counter war.
    In multiplayer it's generally not as much of a problem, since 3 people casting threats is generally more than 1 player can counter. Becoming the Archenemy for more than 1 turn cycle is a fast way to lose a commander game. (That being said- Mizzex of the Izmagnus is absurdly strong and is perfectly capable of locking out an entire table once she gets going.)

Generally, if a blue deck is regularly getting to a point where they can 'mother may I' the whole table, it's because they were left alone in the early and mid game and allowed to build up a resource advantage. Next time you sit down across from these players, don't be afraid to point some early creature pressure at them.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The Mirror of Fate loop (M10) was even crazier. Unfortunately, I don't have the details of that one anymore.

The runner up IMO is the Chain Veil engine from M15, requiring 16 specific cards. Though that one's obsolete to the much simpler Midnight Guard/Hornet's Nest/Burning Anger loop.
    We should start archiving the single-set combos (or links to them, at least) in the thread OP. It's a neat little tradition that's always fun to read about.
    ithilanor on Steam.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    We should start archiving the single-set combos (or links to them, at least) in the thread OP. It's a neat little tradition that's always fun to read about.
    I've been saving them myself. Note that some of these, like the Stronghold one, haven't been mentioned on this forum.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadows over Innistrad
    Seasons Past engine
    Spoiler
    Show

Cryptolith Rite
    Behold the Beyond
    Tenacity
    Seasons Past
    17 creatures:
    Infinitely large creatures

1. Tap 17 creatures for 12WBBGG
    2. Cast Tenacity to untap your creatures (and give them +1/+1 and lifelink)
    3. Cast Behold the Beyond and search up Seasons Past
    4. Cast Seasons Past to return Tenacity and Behold the Beyond from your graveyard to your hand, Seasons Past goes on bottom of Library
    5. Repeat

(Notes: Can bootstrap the creature count by using the combo elements to search for and recur a Devils' Playground with Olivia Mobilized for War to give the tokens haste and Seasons Past recurring blanks to discard to Olivia. This makes it effectively an 8 card combo.)

Oath of the Gatewatch
    Flicker engine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eldrazi Displacer
    Baoloth Null
    Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
    Vile Redeemer
    Crumbling Vestige
    Embodiment of Fury

Infinite Eldrazi Scion tokens and life.
    Animate Crumbling Vestige with Embodiment of Fury. Cast Vile Redeemer and sacrifice it to Ayli. Use the resulting scions with Eldrazi Displacer to flicker the Vestige for G (animating itself with the Embodiment) and Baoloth Null returning the Redeemer.

This loop initially costs 8 more Eldrazi Scions than it generates, but produces an extra Scion for each time it's performed. It can be bootstrapped more cheaply by having some of the seed mana be green, skipping the need to flicker Vestige, and by sacrificing and replaying the Displacer in addition to the Redeemer for the first 3 loops. It still requires about 21 mana to bootstrap, but it also contains the tools to generate scions on previous turns for the bootstrap mana.

Battle for Zendikar
    Hedron Network loop
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greenwarden of Murasa x2
    Aligned Hedron Network
    Reclaiming Vines
    Brood Monitor x2
    Lifespring Druid x2
    Chasm Guide
    Tajuru Warcaller:
    Infinite ally enters-the battlefield triggers.

Initially, play Tajuru Warcaller and Chasm Guide for the pump. Float 6GG.

Play Aligned Hedron Network. Destroy it with Reclaiming Vines. Recover AHN and Reclaiming Vines with returning Greenwardens. Sacrifice the Brood Monitors' Scions for 6 and tap the Lifespring Druids for GG. Repeat.

Convert to infinite life loss and life gain with Kalastria Healer.

Dragons of Tarkir
    Scalelords
    Spoiler
    Show
    2x Enduring Scalelord
    Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit:
    2 Infinite/Infinite dragons

Cast Enduring Scalelord, then Anafenza, then the other Scalelord. Use each Scalelord trigger to trigger the other Scalelord until you have enough +1/+1 counters.

Fate Reforged
    Dragonrage recursion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soulfire Grand Master
    Dragonrage
    Sandsteppe Outcaste x3
    Aven Skirmisher (any creature):
    Infinite red mana, self-converting into an infinite power attacking spirit token

Having previously used Sandsteppe Outcasts to make spirits, attack with all eight creatures. Activate Soulfire Grand Master for 4xR, then Dragonrage for 3xR to gain 8xR. Repeat, gaining R each time. Convert to damage by using the pump ability granted by Dragonrage.

Khans of Tarkir
    Jeskai Ascendancy TQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jeskai Ascendancy x4
    Rattleclaw Mystic x3
    Waterwheel
    Mardu Warshrieker (with raid active)
    Warden of the Eye
    : Infinite Ascendancy triggers

Convert to mana with another Ratttleclaw Mystic.
    Convert that to damage by casting Crater Claws.
    (Attacking with an infinitely large creature isn't possible after triggering Raid)

Magic 2015
    Midnight Guard TQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Midnight Guard
    Hornet's Nest
    Ephemeral Shields
    Burning Anger
    : Infinite damage. And bees.

Cast Burning Anger on Midnight Guard and Ephemeral Shields on Hornet's Nest. Loop (Tap Midnight Guard to damage Hornet's nest. In between untag triggers, tap Midnight Guard to damage an opponent)

Chain Veil-Nissa-Return engine
    Spoiler
    Show
    4x Forest, enchanted by 4x Verdant Haven
    Nissa, Worldwaker
    The Chain Veil
    Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient
    Blood Host
    Soul of Innistrad
    3x Invasive Species (in hand)
    Result: infinite mana, infinite life and an infinitely large Blood Host. Also infinite loyalty on Nissa as a side effect.

The loop:
    Float BBBRGGGG from the forests.
    Activate The Chain Veil and copy it with Kurkesh (+3 floating)
    Use the copy with Nissa to untap the forests.
    Float an additional BBBRGGGG (total +11 floating)
    Use the original Veil activation with Nissa to untap the forests
    Play Invasive Species to return The Chain Veil (+8 floating)
    Replay The Chain Veil (+4 floating)
    Sacrifice Invasive Species to Blood Host (+2 floating)

If there are no Invasive Species left in hand, activate Soul of Innistrad to return 3 Invasive Species to hand (+1/3 floating on average)

Journey into Nyx:
    Sage of Hours engine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sage of Hours + 2x Riptide Chimera + 2x Mortal Obstinacy + Ajani, Mentor of Heroes+ Quarry Colossus: Infinite turns
    Return Mortal Obstinacies with the Chimeras, replay them on Sage of Hours, use Ajani to put 3 +1/+1 counters on the Sage, and remove the counters from the Sage to take an extra turn. Repeat during the extra turn.

If your deck is ever empty, cast Quarry Colossus and target itself with the trigger.

Convert to damage by attacking with Chimeras or by substituting a Mortal Obstinacy with Lightning Diadem.

Born of the Gods:
    Inspired TQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Akroan Conscriptor + Epiphany Storm + Retraction Helix + Felhide Spiritbinder + Kiora's Follower + Astral Cornucopia: Infinite Kiora's Follower copies

tap Cornucopia for RRRR; Epiphany Storm on Akroan Conscriptor -> untap Felhide Spiritbinder -> copy Kiora's Follower -> untap Astral Cornucopia -> tap Felhide Spiritbinder via Retraction Helix to return Epiphany Storm. Net profit R.

Use the surplus mana to skip Cornucopia untaps to convert to infinite attacking Kiora's Followers (or Akroan Conscriptors).

Theros:
    Meletis Charlatan TQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    2x Meletis Charlatan + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Triton Tactics + Voyaging Satyr + Bident of Thassa + Sealock Monster: infinite mana (and infinite toughness on several creatures)

Cast Triton Tactics targeting Voyaging Satyr and Meletis Charlatan. Tap Nykthos to convert UU to 6*U, tap Voyaging Satyr to untag Nykthos, tap Charlatan to copy Triton Tactics.

Can convert to infinite copies of another spell (e.g Magma Jet for damage) by using surplus mana on untapping and using the other Charlatan.

Magic 2014:
    Mass Reanimate loop:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rise of the Dark Realms + Manaweft Sliver + Blur Sliver + 7 other slivers + Archaeomancer + Blood Bairn : Infinitely large Blood Bairn

Tap your slivers for black mana. Sacrifice all your other creatures to Blood Bairn. Cast Rise of the Dark Realms. Return Rise of the Dark Realms with Archaeomancer.

Can convert to infinite mana by adding another sliver, then convert to infinite spells by adding another Archaeomancer.

Gatecrash:
    Reckoner loop
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boros Reckoner + Boros Charm + Gift of Orzhova + Mugging (or other damage source) : infinite life

Make the Reckoner indestructible with the Charm and give it lifelink with the Gift. When you shoot it with Mugging, have it target itself with the trigger. You gain 2 life due to lifelink and can have it shoot itself as many times as you want because it's indestructible.

Return to Ravnica:
    Empty Deck Engine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Worldspine Wurm x4 + Lotleth Troll + Sphinx of the Chimes + empty library : infinite +1/+1 counters on the troll

Discard two Wurms from your hand to put counters on the Troll, then discard the other two Wurms to Sphinx to draw four Wurms.

Magic 2013
    Mass Reanimate loop:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bloodthrone Vampire + Torch Fiend x2 + Gilded Lotus x2 + Archaeomancer + Faith's Reward : infintely large Bloodthrone Vampire (however, you can add another creature with an ETB ability to go infinite on other resources)

Tap the Lotuses for WWW and RRR, destroy them with the Torch Fiends and sacrifice the Archaeomancer to the Bloodthrone Vampire. Then cast Faith's Reward returning all of them. Archaeomancer returns Faith's Reward. Repeat.

Avacyn Restored:
    Tamiyo Emblem Engine:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tamiyo Emblem + Arcane Melee + Ghostly Flicker : infinite flickers

Tap an island to cast Ghostly Flicker, then flicker the island and another permanent. Repeat.

Convert to infinite mana by tapping and flickering other lands, and use the mana plus the emblem to convert to infinite castings of any other spell in your hand.

Innistrad
    Champion loop
    Spoiler
    Show
    3x Fiend Hunter + Champion of the Parish : infinite +1/+1 counters on the Champion

Play the Champion, then a Fiend Hunter, then a second exiling the first, then the third exiling the second. When a Fiend Hunter returns from exile, put a counter on the Champion and exile the other Fiend Hunter in play. Break the loop by declining to exile anything.

Magic 2012:
    Phantasmal Image Recusion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sun Titan + Phantasmal Image x2 + Devouring Swarm : infinitely large Devouring Swarm

Play Phantasmal Image copying Sun Titan. Target another Phantasmal Image in the graveyard with the ETB ability, and sacrifice the Image to the Swarm in response. The second Image comes in and can return the first in the same manner. Repeat until the swarm is large enough.

Scars of Mirrodin
    Myr Galvanizer TQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Myr Galvanizer x2 + Palladium Myr : infinite mana.

Pay for Myr Galvanizer's tap ability with Palladium Myr to untap it and gain {1}. Then use the Palladium Myr with the second Galvanizer to untap the first and gain {1}. Repeat until you have enough mana. Convert to life loss and gain with Exsanguinate.

Magic 2011
    No known combo

Rise of the Eldrazi
    Echo Mage TQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Echo Mage + Reality Spasm : Infinite untaps
    Level Echo Mage, then cast Reality Spasm for at least 4 in untap mode. Copy it with Echo Mage untapping Echo Mage, using the copy to untap two lands, Echo Mage and anything else. Untap a land to convert to infinite mana. If Echo Mage is fully levelled, you can alternate between copying Reality Spasm and another instant you cast in response to Reality Spasm to convert to infinite copies of that instant.

Empty Deck Emrakul Lock
    Spoiler
    Show
    Emrakul x2 + Otherwise Empty Library + Empty Graveyard (obtained with Suffer the Past, which is then shuffled + redrawn via Emrakul): Infinite turns and Emrakul attacks.
    Hardcast Emrakul, on the extra turn attack with it and cast another Emrakul to legend rule both back into the library.

(Spawnsire of Ulamog might count as a single-card infinite combo as long if you assume enough Eldrazi cards outside the game to work with)

Zendikar
    No known combo

Shards of Alara
    Sharuum recusion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sharuum the Hegemon x2 + Hissing Iguanar : Infinite Damage
    Cast a Sharuum with another one. They die to the Legend Rule before the ETB trigger chooses targets, so you can chain reanimate them to loop. Hissing Iguanar converts to damage.

Magic 2010
    Mirror of Fate loop
    (Description missing)

Shadowmoor
    Mana Relflection assisted TQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mana Reflection + Devoted Druid + Umbral Mantle : infinite mana + infinitely large Devoted Druid

Equip Mantle on Druid. Tap it for 2 mana, untap it for 3 mana with Umbral Mantle, then tap and untap it for 2 mana and a -1/-1 counter. You now have 1 extra mana and +1/+1 on the Druid until EoT.

Lorwyn
    Champion Loop
    Spoiler
    Show
    3x Changeling Berserker + Battlewand Oak : Infinitely large Battlewand Oak
    This is essentially the same combo as the Innistrad one. There are several variants of this combo in the same set.

Morningtide
    Champion Loop (again)
    Spoiler
    Show
    3x Unstoppable Ash + Orchard Warden : infinite life
    And again. Notable as a rare instance of a small set combo.

Time Spiral
    Champion Loop
    Spoiler
    Show
    3x Faceless Butcher + Herd Gnarr + other Faceless Butcher target
    : Infinite size Herd Gnarr

Stronghold
    Intruder Alarm loop
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intruder Alarm + Sliver Queen + 2x Skyshroud Troopers: Infinite sliver tokens and Intruder Alarm triggers

Convert to infinite mana with another Skyshroud Troopers and then infinite damage with Acidic Sliver.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Now I feel like I have to see if I can find an infinite combo in Zendikar or M11. I can believe none exist but it certainly seems reasonable that Zendikar might secretly have one.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I have something for Zendikar; the last missing piece was kicking some Rite of Replications on Lotus Cobra for extra mana. Will report in shortly.

E: I think this set works
    Spoiler
    Show

Lotus Cobra
    Rite of Replication
    Archmage Ascension (active)
    Quest for Ancient Secrets
    2x Emeria Angel
    Carnage Altar
    3x Harrow

E2: No, it's not self-converting. But between infinite landfall triggers, infinite mana, unlimited card draw and infinite copies of any creature or spell in the deck, there are tons of single cards you can add to convert with. I'll arbitrarily choose Hagra Diabolist as the finisher. But there are at least 30 different options.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-03-31 at 08:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

I... might have something for Zendikar. It's a bit silly, though.

Initial state:

Cards in library: None. (Alternatively, a la Bucky's engine, you have an active Archmage Ascension.)
    Relevant cards in hand: Harrow, Rite of Replication.
    Cards in graveyard: Only Harrow
    Cards on Battlefield: Carnage Alter, 17 Lotus Cobras (generated with Rite of Replication), One Quest for Ancient Secrets at 3 counters, and a second one at 0.
    Mana in Mana Pool: 22 Mana of any color

Step 1: Cast Rite of Replication, kicked, on Lotus Cobra. This generates 5 Cobra copies. (Total mana cost: 9) (Quest #1 at 4 counters, Quest #2 at 1)
    Step 2: Cast Harrow. Sacrifice one basic land as part of the cost. Quest for Ancient Secrets gets counter before Harrow resolves. Then sacrifice Quest for Ancient Secrets # 1 while Harrow is on the stack. (Total mana cost: 12) (Quest #2 at 3 counters.)
    Step 3: Harrow, Rite, basic land, and Ancient Secrets are shuffled into your library. Harrow resolves, and the land is fetched onto the battlefield, generating 22 mana from the Lotus Cobras.
    Step 4: Sacrifice 3 Lotus Cobra tokens to Carnage Alter, drawing Harrow, Rite of Replication, and Quest for Ancient Secrets. (Total mana cost: 21)
    Step 5: Cast Quest for Ancient Secrets (Total mana cost: 22)

You are now back at the initial state with an additional 2 Lotus Cobras. Repeat ad nauseum for infinite Lotus Cobras, infinite mana, infinite landfall triggers, and infinite casts of any other Instant or Sorcery in your hand if you so choose with your infinite engine.

EDIT: Ninja'd. *Shakes fist at Bucky*
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2016-03-31 at 08:21 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

So, I just had a realization that The Giltrogg beast has some interesting potential as a Commander, the wording on his card could do odd things with dredge.

17. - Top - End - #137

Random question....

How many named planes are there? I count 43 that have Plane cards for them, but that's probably not a full list.

Alternatively, how many significant planes are there - planes in which a plotline or expansion set has been centered, planes that a veteran player would know something about? Alara, Dominaria, Innistrad, Kamigawa, Theros, Lorwyn, Shadowmoor, Phyrexia New Phyrexia, Mirrodin, Rath, Ravnica, Shandalar, Zendikar, Tarkir... those are about all I'd recognize in passing. Any others?
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2016-04-01 at 12:31 AM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Random question....

How many named planes are there? I count 43 that have Plane cards for them, but that's probably not a full list.
    43 is the complete count of planar subtypes. Some of them (e.g. Rath) correspond to planes that no longer exist. While there are some former planes that aren't represented (e.g. the shards), I don't know of any non-destroyed planes that are mentioned on a card but don't have a plane subtype.

19. - Top - End - #139

I believe every plane from Innistrad and earlier is represented in Planechase, though perhaps I'm wrong on this. Of the plane types, Mirrodin and New Phyrexia are the same plane, as are Lorwyn and Shadowmoor. The planes published after Planechase 2, and thus without plane type representation, are Theros, Tarkir, Fiora, and Kaladesh. I'm not sure if every plane in Planechase is considered canon; many of them originated in Future Sight and thus could be argued to be hypothetical rather than real.

I'm writing a card-by-card review of Khans of Tarkir from a design perspective. Would this thread be interested in reading it?

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I believe every plane from Innistrad and earlier is represented in Planechase, though perhaps I'm wrong on this. Of the plane types, Mirrodin and New Phyrexia are the same plane, as are Lorwyn and Shadowmoor. The planes published after Planechase 2, and thus without plane type representation, are Theros, Tarkir, Fiora, and Kaladesh. I'm not sure if every plane in Planechase is considered canon; many of them originated in Future Sight and thus could be argued to be hypothetical rather than real.

I'm writing a card-by-card review of Khans of Tarkir from a design perspective. Would this thread be interested in reading it?
    So.... 44 currently? Although a few Planechase ones appear to have been reworked. Tarkir may just be a new name for Mongseng, and it looks like Arkhos got reimagined into Theros. If so... 42?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

I just finished the silliest FNM I've ever attended. The format was Vintage Pauper Highlander. There were three players. The organiser decided to go ahead anyway.

Round 1, I had the bye. I went to get food and came back just after the first game, Dimir control having beaten Jund midrange. In the second game Jund got terribly flooded and was beaten down.

Round 2 was my Izzet prowess aggro vs Dimir. The first game I quickly got him down below 10 and then he scooped to a Treasure Cruise. Second game he drew most of his bounce engines and I couldn't keep a creature down long enough to do much damage. Third game was closer than the second, I ended up winning with a bounced Spellfist and topdecked Crimson Wisps.

Round 3 was me vs Jund. First game was absurdly close - I had him down to 1 life for three straight turns but he had too many blockers never drew the burn or unblockable to finish him; it would have been the next card I drew. Second game I managed to quickly do fifteen damage but then my creature was removed and I didn't get another.

So we tied. Apparently aggro beats control which beats midrange which beats aggro. We walked away with $10 store credit each, exactly what we'd paid to join. Fun format, though.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Random question....

Alternatively, how many significant planes are there - planes in which a plotline or expansion set has been centered, planes that a veteran player would know something about? Alara, Dominaria, Innistrad, Kamigawa, Theros, Lorwyn, Shadowmoor, Phyrexia New Phyrexia, Mirrodin, Rath, Ravnica, Shandalar, Zendikar, Tarkir... those are about all I'd recognize in passing. Any others?
    you forgot Mercadia, also since you mention Phyrexia and Mirrodin I need to point out Serra's Realm, which is really super important as..it powered the weatherlight. yeah..Urza was sorta a jerk.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

you forgot Mercadia, also since you mention Phyrexia and Mirrodin I need to point out Serra's Realm, which is really super important as..it powered the weatherlight. yeah..Urza was sorta a jerk.
    I need to actually read the rest of the stuff involving Urza, but based on what happened in "The Brothers' War" I can't exactly blame him for being a jerk.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Indirection Orb (2)
    Artifact
    Spells that target Indirection Orb while it's on the stack cost (1) more to cast.
    Spells with one or more targets cost (1) more to cast.
    Creatures can't attack unless their controller pays (1) for each creature he or she controls that's attacking.

Slows down just about everything. Because everyone loves prison decks.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2016-04-01 at 07:32 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I need to actually read the rest of the stuff involving Urza, but based on what happened in "The Brothers' War" I can't exactly blame him for being a jerk.
    Well, he was quite a bit of one at times. Which is why he was a great character, the guy had some major flaws and never really "saw" the people he was saving and if not for feeling entirely responsible for Phrexia..he would have built his own personal plane and tinkered for the next 8 billion years.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Got back from my first prerelease. I ended up building a Bant Investigate/Delirium deck with a little spirit tribal. It went pretty well, 3-1 with the only loss being against what was essentially the same deck + Avacyn. Traverse the Ulvenwald and Forked Path were amazing for fixing, I was flooded once (against Avacyn) but never really hurting for a colour. Activating Delirium was harder than I'd hoped but easier than I'd feared - Forked Path, Wicker Witch and the sac enchantment cycle are awesome for this.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

You used all the right parts (Cryptolith Rite and Tenacity were definitely the elements I thought would be necessary)
    It turns out that Cryptolith Rite is not necessary! Deathcap Cultivator, Loam Dryad, some filler creatures to use with Dryad and Altered Ego copies of Deathcap Cultivator provide enough mana to perform the loop.

Seasons Past is also not necessary. Epitaph Golem puts cards back into the library and then Behold the Beyond finds them.

There doesn't seem to be any replacement for Tenacity as a mana source, though.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-04-02 at 01:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Random question....

Ulgrotha/The Homelands! It was such a flavorsome setting with such a bad set of cards. I always hoped WotC would revisit it and do the setting justice, but I think Innestrad is the closest we'll get to that: the same kind of gothic feel, but without the baggage of being a Homelands sequel.

There's also Rabiah the Infinite from Magic's early days, although that was an early retcon to handwave all the real world references in Arabian Nights. Taysir of Rabiah was notably one of the biggest figures in Magic's early storyline, although he's sadly now best known for going out like a punk in Planeshift.

Well, he was quite a bit of one at times. Which is why he was a great character, the guy had some major flaws and never really "saw" the people he was saving and if not for feeling entirely responsible for Phrexia..he would have built his own personal plane and tinkered for the next 8 billion years.
    I remember MTGSalvation did a write-up of the Weatherlight Saga a while back and kept a running tally of global cataclysms and other massive devastating events that Urza caused. IIRC, it got close to double digits.
    Edit: I just checked and it was five: the Sylex Blast, collapsing Serra's Realm, destroying the Phyrexian sleeper agents by causing everyone on Dominaria to have excruciating headaches, fracturing the time stream on Tolaria, and finally the use of the Legacy Weapon. They didn't count him bringing the initial Phyrexian corruption to Serra's Realm, the soul bombs used on Phyrexia or indirectly causing the obliteration of Tolaria because of his insensitive douchery towards Barrin.

They also kept a tally of how often Weatherlight crashed. It happened so often they dubbed it "the Gerrard Maneuver".
    Last edited by Ebon_Drake; 2016-04-02 at 04:38 AM.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground

Went 2 - 3 at the Shadows Over Innistrad pre-release. That might sound fairly weak, but it's actually a record for me. I promise you I'm terrible at this game. I pulled a Jace, so I made the mistake of playing blue for no other reason than "because I have Jace". So I had a vague Simic thing, when I could have had a great mono-green deck. My first two losses were perfectly deserved. What can I say? The first guy I went up against had a super fast Boros deck, and with the slow speed of my Werewolf deck I couldn't get it to go off. I lost that one 2-1, but the final game was right down to the wire. If I had removal or bounce to get rid of his blocker I would have won. No luck, I'm afraid.

The second girl was lovely, as a person, but her deck was disgusting. I hate lifelink. I hate Rakdos. Lost that one 2-1 and the games I lost were absolute blowouts. About a 30 life margin in both of them. The one I won was a close call, and I only won that one because she made a late game misplay and did the math wrong (she lifegained up to 12 which was exactly the amount of damage I got through), but if she hadn't I'd have gone out on her next turn. But that was a lot of fun, because she was just funny and clever.

The third guy was actually a friend of mine. So I felt bad slaughtering him as I did. Got that one down 2-0 and it wasn't even close. I actually finished the third round first. His deck wasn't great. It was Azorius and I had flying removal and blocking aplenty. It's pretty clear the deck was geared towards the flyers. And basic bounce like "Just the Wind" screwed his tempo up terribly.

By the fourth round people were starting to get a little weak and tired, which I doubt would have helped the next guy I was against. An absolutely terrifying looking gentleman I was afraid to be sitting across from. If he wasn't so tired and groggy I might have feared he'd shiv me. But as it is I absolutely wiped the floor with him, 2-0. I wish I could take the credit but his deck was just kind of rubbish. He was trying to go for three colour aggro (Naya), but the mana base was absolutely whacked. He couldn't get the land he wanted on the curve he wanted, so I just pummelled him. No strategy, he had cards in hand he couldn't use. What was there to do but attack? Feel a bit cheap winning like that, but oh well.

Final guy was Boros. I'd like to make excuses, at that point I was really tired and groggy myself and I was making some critical misplays. Secondly, it was the first time that night I was not drawing what I needed to. Lost the first game to mana flood, won the second (barely) and lost the third to mana drought. But, really, I'm being too hard on the other guy. His deck was really good. Even if I had been playing at full power I can't guarantee I would have won it. So I hold no ill will. I'm just sorry my losses were so lousy, I would have preferred going down fighting.

TL;DR: Lost 2-1, Lost 2-1, Won 2-0, Won 2-0, Lost 2-1. Ranked 32nd place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Got back from my first prerelease. I ended up building a Bant Investigate/Delirium deck with a little spirit tribal. It went pretty well, 3-1 with the only loss being against what was essentially the same deck + Avacyn. Traverse the Ulvenwald and Forked Path were amazing for fixing, I was flooded once (against Avacyn) but never really hurting for a colour. Activating Delirium was harder than I'd hoped but easier than I'd feared - Forked Path, Wicker Witch and the sac enchantment cycle are awesome for this.
    I didn't understand a word of that. I don't remember the card names. I didn't even bother to read spoilers. I just improvise.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

30. - Top - End - #150

Went 3-1 at Prerelease. Opened a Thing in the Ice, finally flipped it in the last round, and then someone walked off with my deckbox that had the Thing in it. Sigh. Hopefully its price will tank after tournament results come in and I can scoop them up cheap.

A couple of notes:
    * I went with an 11 creature deck. Most of these creatures turned out to be unnecessary. Looks like spell-based draft decks might be viable here.
    * Markov Dreadknight, as expected, is an absolute house. Bit of advice for anyone playing with him: Do not pump him up before he hits if you have a Madness card in hand. Let him go through and use him to give the Madness card flash. You might lose a few points of damage, but the benefits of instant speed are too numerous to count.
    * Catalog is fantastic. Aside from making it very, very easy to flip Thing in the Ice, it provides massive advantage when you discard Fiery Temper or Just the Wind to it.
    * Skulk does a lot in this format. Farbog Revenant is amazing, and the deathtouch skulk rats are even better.
    * Most of my creatures were toughness 2 or less. Nevertheless, Biting Rain was almost never a dead card; it has been responsible for several blowouts game 1.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show