New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXII: Where Puns Go to Die

I remember MTGSalvation did a write-up of the Weatherlight Saga a while back and kept a running tally of global cataclysms and other massive devastating events that Urza caused. IIRC, it got close to double digits.
    Edit: I just checked and it was five: the Sylex Blast, collapsing Serra's Realm, destroying the Phyrexian sleeper agents by causing everyone on Dominaria to have excruciating headaches, fracturing the time stream on Tolaria, and finally the use of the Legacy Weapon. They didn't count him bringing the initial Phyrexian corruption to Serra's Realm, the soul bombs used on Phyrexia or indirectly causing the obliteration of Tolaria because of his insensitive douchery towards Barrin.
    Add to the pool, "Getting all but 2 of his bloodlines projects Famlicided" and "Causing Crovax" since Crovax and Gerrard were the only two remaining Bloodlines, and the Phyrexians decided to make Selena specifically to Corrupt him.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    * Markov Dreadknight, as expected, is an absolute house. Bit of advice for anyone playing with him: Do not pump him up before he hits if you have a Madness card in hand. Let him go through and use him to give the Madness card flash. You might lose a few points of damage, but the benefits of instant speed are too numerous to count.
    Can you explain this in a little more detail? I don't think I'm following.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Took me a minute to work out what fable meant. I think he's saying, don't just activate Dreadknight to do more damage, save the ability so you can use it on your opponents turn and respond to things they do with madness cards.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Random question....

How many named planes are there? I count 43 that have Plane cards for them, but that's probably not a full list.

Alternatively, how many significant planes are there - planes in which a plotline or expansion set has been centered, planes that a veteran player would know something about? Alara, Dominaria, Innistrad, Kamigawa, Theros, Lorwyn, Shadowmoor, Phyrexia New Phyrexia, Mirrodin, Rath, Ravnica, Shandalar, Zendikar, Tarkir... those are about all I'd recognize in passing. Any others?
    Just thinking about this again and looking over the locations on the Plane cards, there's also the old World Enchantments that were an early attempt at something similar to planechase - the idea behind the rules on them was that casting a World Enchantment was effectively taking the battle to a new plane, which is also why they tend to affect both players equally. The actual cards are a mixed bag and don't all properly deliver on that concept: the likes of Koskun Falls and Pillar Tombs of Aku are just places within a plane, the likes of Concordant Crossroads and Caverns of Despair could be anywhere, while the likes of Revelation and Mystic Decree just seem like regular spells that have had the World supertype tacked on.

However, I'd say Arboria, The Abyss, In the Eye of Chaos, Eye of Singularity, Living Plane, Nether Void, Storm World and Teferi's Realm are all either depicting different planes, or the spaces between planes in the Blind Eternities. You could possibly add Chaosphere, Land's Edge, Null Chamber, Forsaken Wastes and Elkin Lair too. YMMV on what the heck the rest of them are meant to be depicting.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Add to the pool, "Getting all but 2 of his bloodlines projects Famlicided" and "Causing Crovax" since Crovax and Gerrard were the only two remaining Bloodlines, and the Phyrexians decided to make Selena specifically to Corrupt him.
    You forgot Hanna (Though, to be fair, Barrin's response to her death was his fault, as mentioned). And neither of those other two were even close to directly Urza's fault, unless you count Phyrexia's actions to try to stop him as his fault.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    You forgot Hanna (Though, to be fair, Barrin's response to her death was his fault, as mentioned). And neither of those other two were even close to directly Urza's fault, unless you count Phyrexia's actions to try to stop him as his fault.
    Wasn't Captain Sisay part of the Bloodlines project as well? And, further, the only one to survive the invasion?

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    If I recall properly, Urza didn't even really keep an eye on his bloodlines after he first set them up so once the phyrexians figured out what was going on the Bloodlines they were basically screwed. I forgot Hanna and Sissay were part of it as well.

8. - Top - End - #158

Sorry, it was 5am when I wrote the post; clarity isn't the easiest thing at that time. Androgeus is correct:

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Took me a minute to work out what fable meant. I think he's saying, don't just activate Dreadknight to do more damage, save the ability so you can use it on your opponents turn and respond to things they do with madness cards.
    Using Markov Dreadknight to cast Muderous Compulsion at Instant speed has resulted in more than one blowout for me. When my opponent also had a Dreadknight, the only way I won the game was saving my Dreadknight's activation to cast Avacyn's Judgement in response to his trigger at the end of my turn. That's not even mentioning how devastating Biting Rain can be during combat on your opponents' turn. Losing 2-4 points of damage on opponents is almost always worth the benefit of blowouts like this.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Went 3-0 at the prerelease with a RB Vampires/Wolves deck. Westvale Abbey is a pretty savage beating, it won me 3 separate games.
    ithilanor on Steam.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

I believe I may have gotten the two crappiest Sealed pools in existence. Both sets, I was forced into Blue, with the first adding in B and splashing W, and the second being full-on Bant.

In the first, my lone win-con was Startled Awake, with a Jace to support it. I won one match, and got blown out the rest of the time by decks that were on the stompy plan and my lack of enough answers to survive and execute the mill plan, ending 1-3

In the second, I got absolutely no bomb rares at all, and ended up on the 1/1 spirit token supported by fliers plan. This ended up a little better, and my final opponent agreed to split the prize, ending the day 2-1-1, for a total of 3-4-1.

I swear, I must have pissed off the god LSV has in his pocket. This is the third straight pre-release my pulls have been utter crap.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2016-04-02 at 11:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

For those of you looking for impractical infinite combos in other environments. here are the types of things to look for.

Ritual Recursion is the most common type of combo, but also the most complex. How it works is one set of cards generates a lot of mana off a single spell cast (the Ritual) and the other component gets back that spell as well as itself (the Recursion). This results in infinite mana when the Ritual generates more than the Recursion consumes, and often also results in infinite triggers of something useful. Example: Rise of the Dark Realms + Manaweft Sliver + Blur Sliver + 7 other slivers + Archaeomancer + Blood Bairn -> Infinitely large Blood Bairn

There is a rare variant that makes copies of a Ritual on the stack, never letting it resolve until the end of the combo, instead of using a recursion piece to retrieve it after it resolves.

TQ or Tap-Untap is next most common. An activated ability requiring tapping a permanent generates either a trigger to untap that permanent or enough resources to untap it with another ability. This sort of combo can be complex but usually doesn't involve casting any spells. Example: Myr Galvanizer x2 + Palladium Myr -> Infinite mana

Trigger Loops are the simplest combos, but relatively rare in their pure form: Ability A triggers Ability B, which triggers Ability A. Example: 2x Enduring Scalelord
    + Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit -> infinitely large Enduring Scalelords.

A subset of Trigger Loops that used to be fairly common is the Champion Loop. Some permanents exile other permanents for as long as it's on the battlefield. When one of them can target other copies of itself, it's possible to loop three of them such that one of them enters, removing a second to return a third, which takes the place of the first in the next iteration. This in turn causes unlimited enters-the-battlefield triggers. Example: 3x Changeling Berserker -> Battlewand Oak

Finally, Infinite Turn combos are closely related to Ritual Recursion and TQ; the untap step of the extra turn is a giant Ritual and also resets any other tap abilities. Extra turns also have the unique ability to reset planeswalker abilities. Just be sure have a way to avoid decking during your infinite turns!
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

Went to my first prerelease in a long time and had one of the best prereleases I can remember.
    Pulled:
    Gitrog Monster
    Ulvenwald Hydra
    Arlinn Kord
    Avacyn's Judgement
    Devil's Playground
    Geier Reach Bandit
    Falkenrath Gorger
    for rares that I played (also had a From Under the Floorboards that I decided not to play because that'd be too greedy). Was essentially a red deck splashing green for mana fixers (Fork in the Roads), utility (Aim High/Rabid Bite) and to play my 3 Mythics plus a lone swamp to play Gitrog/Throttle (I had 4 ways to fetch the swamp - 2 Forks, a Warped Landscape and the Hydra).
    Then, in the packs I got at the end, I pulled Foil Mindwreck Demon, Sigarda and Port Town.
    Overall, a very good couple of hours considering I decided to go at the last minute on a whim.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gitrog Monster
    I wanna make a huge joke about All Hail the Hypno Toad...but Gitrog doesn't really Hypnotize as a card (real odd disconnect between the Card's effects and the Lore there as it can do it in Story)

So instead.

ALL HAIL FRED (who made a sink hole when he mutated)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's try to build a Clue deck.

First, Clues turn extra mana into card advantage, so we want a mana engine that scales with card advantage. Cryptolith Rite does that.

3 Cryptolith Rite

Secondly, we need cheap creatures to power the Rite. We'll run some creatures natively, but what we really want are a bunch of tokens while we're going off. Conveniently, there's a card that does just that.

4 Ulvenwald Mysteries

We also want to convert the other cards we draw into more clues. Say, lands and and cheap creatures.

4 Tireless Tracker
    4 Bygone Bishop

We also want our complement of cheap Investigate-friendly creatures to trigger the Bishop:

4 Erdwhal Illuminator
    0 Thraben Inspector (white is our splash)
    4 Byway Courier

As well as some cheap and efficient cards in general:
    4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Sylvan Advocate
    1 Herald of the Pantheon

We can spare a couple of slots on a Tamiyo's Journal toolbox
    2 Tamiyo's Journal
    1 Confirm Suspicions (for when only one spell can keep us from winning)
    1 Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger (general answer)
    1 Seasons Past (inevitability)
    1 Westvale Abbey (cheese)

And the mana base is fairly simple. We want 13 blue, 17 green and 6 white in 22 land slots, and we can afford a tapped land on turn 1. Thus:

4 Lumbering Falls
    3 Yavimaya Coast
    4 Fortified Village
    2 Port Town
    1 Evolving Wilds
    3 Island
    5 Forest

Spoiler
    Show

3 Cryptolith Rite
    4 Ulvenwald Mysteries
    2 Tamiyo's Journal
    1 Confirm Suspicions
    1 Seasons Past

4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Sylvan Advocate
    4 Erdwhal Illuminator
    3 Herald of the Pantheon
    4 Byway Courier
    4 Tireless Tracker
    4 Bygone Bishop
    1 Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger

4 Lumbering Falls
    3 Yavimaya Coast
    4 Fortified Village
    2 Port Town
    1 Evolving Wilds
    3 Island
    5 Forest

I'd like to fit Ongoing Investigation in as well, but can't find the slots. Maybe shave Sylvan Advocate? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-04-03 at 02:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

NecromancerGuy

Today in the prerelease I learned that Ulvenwald Hydra is very good when the land it searches for is Westvale Abbey...
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

16. - Top - End - #166

With all this talk of Urza and how terrible he is...

....what would you guys recommend as the top MtG novel? Brothers' War?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

I personally preferred "The Thran" but "Brothers' War" is good as well.

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I personally preferred "The Thran" but "Brothers' War" is good as well.
    I haven't heard much about The Thran, what did you like about it?

And has anyone read the Lorwyn/Morningtide/Shadowmoor/Eventide books? That's my favorite cycle from a card perspective, so I'm curious how the novels hold up.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't heard much about The Thran, what did you like about it?
    The Thran introduces us to Yawgmoth, who I really enjoyed as a villain. That's pretty much all I can say in my sleep-addled state.

Pre-release went okay. We were just knocked out of prize Contention. I Pulled an Arlinn Kord which I want to trade for 2 Nahiri, or an Avacyn.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

The Gathering Dark is one of my favorite Magic novels. It's got good writing, good characters, and it is one of the few books that really builds a world and a way of using magic that's unique to the Magic: the Gathering universe.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Both the Legend's Cycles and Kamigawa are fun sets.

Legends 2 in particular are fantastic, it is one of the reasons Nicol Bolas is my favorite MTG villain.

Edit : And yes The Gathering Dark is 100% required reading for understanding how Basic Magic in the MTG verse works it explains Land Tapping making mana in a fantastic way.
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2016-04-04 at 01:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking through my prerelease haul I found I have the full set of Tamiyo's Journals: one normal, one foil, one promo.

I've being converting Prayer of Bloody Chains to the new standard; unfortunately I only have one Anguished Unmaking to replace my poor Utter Ends, but I did pull a Sorin and Tamiyo's Journal might come in handy for when I inevitably end up topdecking. Ormendahl should make for a nice win condition and a cutthroat enabler, too. Unfortunately I swapped out the Chainmages for the Cutthroats, so I'll have to think up a new name too.
    Last edited by Dhavaer; 2016-04-04 at 06:27 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately I swapped out the Chainmages for the Cutthroats, so I'll have to think up a new name too.
    Prayer of bloody throats?

24. - Top - End - #174

Planetar

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ent-2016-04-04

B&R list update

Modern:

Eye of Ugin banned

Ancestral Visions unbanned

Sword of the Meek unbanned

Vintage:

Lodestone Golem restricted

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Sword of the Meek is unbanned to... help Lantern Control.

26. - Top - End - #176

Planetar

Honestly Lantern will barely use it, I see SotM being more relevant in some form of Tezzerator

27. - Top - End - #177
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Brothers' War is definitely a top pick. The Thran and the rest of the Artifacts Cycle (Planeswalker, Time Streams and Bloodlines) are all pretty decent too. Nemesis is my personal favourite though. Much like the set itself, it's by far the best part of Masques block. However, it's right in the middle of the Weatherlight Saga so probably wouldn't make a lot of sense going in cold. The rest of the Weatherlight Saga books range from average to unreadable.

Of the non-Weatherlight books, I'd agree with The Gathering Dark and also include The Eternal Ice and The Shattered Alliance (i.e. The Dark, Ice Age and Alliances). I've not read the Legends books, but I've heard good things.

Chainer's Torment is pretty well regarded too. Odyssey and Judgement don't quite match it, but overall I thought it was an alright trilogy. We don't talk about Onslaught or its sequels though. The Kamigawa books are the best thing about that set, which isn't just damning with faint praise.

To look at it another way, anything by Jeff Grubb and most things by Scott McGough tend to be good. J Robert King meanwhile is very hit-and-miss.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

On the subject of the books, I was rereading the Mirrodin cycle (which are... okay) and the Phyrexian presence was on that plane frim the end of the first book's prologue.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

29. - Top - End - #179

...My god. Control might be viable in Modern again. Thing in the Ice + Ancestral Visions, with slow combo engines finishers getting the Wizards go-ahead? It's finally happening.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Gravepurge + Liliana's Indignation seems like a fun combo. Probably have Mindwrack Demon, Graveblade Marauder, Fleshbag Marauder... what other good self mill/auto-dying/graveyard matters creatures are there?

Edit: Grave Indignation. Needs more creatures, and maybe something more to help enable the demon's delirium. Maybe Sinister Concoction?
    Last edited by Dhavaer; 2016-04-04 at 04:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show