New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXII: Where Puns Go to Die

If the ally part of the tokens is relevant enough you probably can run it, but I might suggest upping your Gideon count to 3 or 4. If he's on board you're winning, so it doesn't matter too much if multiple are in hand so long as your curve isn't totally wrecked by it.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm toying around with this. I haven't figured out a sideboard yet but I imagine it would include Eerie Interlude and Descend Upon the Sinful. Anyway, here it is:

Spoiler: Mono-White Midrange(?)
    Show

Creatures:
    4 Thraben Inspector
    4 Dragon Hunter
    3 Consul's Lieutenant
    4 Knight of the White Orchid
    4 Vryn Wingmare
    3 Archangel of Tithes
    2 Archangel Avacyn

Spells:
    4 Always Watching
    4 Declaration in Stone
    4 Stasis Snare
    3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Land:
    21 Plains

It's fairly straight-forward: make spells, attacking, and blocking cost prohibitive and swing away with guys made larger by two Glorious Anthem sources.

I've had great success against U/R aggro and some against Esper control but that's about it for now. Anyway, I would appreciate any input.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    I'm toying around with this. I haven't figured out a sideboard yet but I imagine it would include Eerie Interlude and Descend Upon the Sinful. Anyway, here it is:

Show

Creatures:
    4 Thraben Inspector
    4 Dragon Hunter
    3 Consul's Lieutenant
    4 Vryn Wingmare
    3 Archangel of Tithes
    2 Archangel Avacyn

Spells:
    4 Always Watching
    4 Declaration in Stone
    4 Stasis Snare

Land:
    21 Plains

It's fairly straight-forward: make spells, attacking, and blocking cost prohibitive and swing away with guys made larger by two Glorious Anthem sources.

I've had great success against U/R aggro and some against Esper control but that's about it for now. Anyway, I would appreciate any input.
    I like it, but 21 lands seems like too few. I think you'd do better with 23 or 24, given you really want to hit 4-5 lands to get the angels. Another Tithes would be good too, since it's not legendary. Maybe cut/sideboard Dragon Hunter? It's really more of an aggro card unless you're having serious dragon problems.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Show

Creatures:
    4 Thraben Inspector
    4 Dragon Hunter
    3 Consul's Lieutenant
    4 Vryn Wingmare
    3 Archangel of Tithes
    2 Archangel Avacyn

Spells:
    4 Always Watching
    4 Declaration in Stone
    4 Stasis Snare

Land:
    21 Plains

I would change out the dragon hunter for Topplegeists and use them in the sideboard, Topplegiest is very surprisingly efficient, especially if you can get delirium in effect, it effectively turns into "target creature does not untap"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    I would change out the dragon hunter for Topplegeists and use them in the sideboard, Topplegiest is very surprisingly efficient, especially if you can get delirium in effect, it effectively turns into "target creature does not untap"
    I don't think this deck hits delirium very easily. It can, but I wouldn't try and rely on it as a mechanic...
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla_pasta View Post
    I don't think this deck hits delirium very easily. It can, but I wouldn't try and rely on it as a mechanic...
    Oh no not at all, but it is a 1/1 for 1 with an ETB effect so the Delirium effect would just be gravy if you trigger it.

7. - Top - End - #217

Thanks for the feedback all. I played a couple games against a B/R vampire aggro deck without the dragon hunter (added two land, a fourth Tithes, and a fourth Consul's Lieutenant) and wiped the floor.

Figuring out the sideboard is still an issue. I'm looking at the SCG decklist from the April 9th event and trying to assess threats. Putting dragon hunters there isn't a bad call if I need a faster deck. Eerie Interlude, one copy, would help me avoid a board wipe. One copy of Hallowed Moonlight. Maybe some Angelic Purge for extra removal? Clue tokens made by the Thraben Inspector can go towards its cost.

I'm not seeing a clear-cut way to handle planeswalkers aside from the Wingmare making them cost more to come out and throwing the large number of creatures at them.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

8. - Top - End - #218

Man, I suck at drafts. Do y'all know of any resources where I might learn the intricacies of the format a bit more intimately?

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I am trying to make use of Thopter Foundry given the unban. I am terrible at modern brewing, but what do people think of this deck? I just sort of slammed Thopter into a Tezzeret control deck, and added dark confidants after I noticed the average CMC of the deck was less then 1. Generally just ends up stalling till I can get down the thopter combo, and then using that for value. What is nice is both Tezz and the thopter combo are pure value generators, so I never really NEED all 3. Though Tezz does give the deck some really nice reach against decks with a strong defense.

Spoiler: Franken Tezz
    Show

Main Deck:
    Artifacts
    4 Talisman of Dominance
    3 Thopter Foundry
    3 Sword of the Meek
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Executioner's Capsule
    Planeswalkers:
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    Creatures:
    4 Dark Confidant
    Sorceries:
    4 Reshape
    2 Damnation
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    Instants:
    2 Smother
    2 Spell Snare
    1 Doom Blade
    1 Go for the Throat
    Lands:
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Darksteel Citadel
    2 Island
    2 Swamp
    2 Watery Grave
    3 Darkslick Shores
    3 Ghost Quarter
    Sideboard:
    SB: 1 Disfigure
    SB: 1 Chalice of the Void
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Hurkyl's Recall
    SB: 2 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Hangarback Walker
    SB: 2 Negate
    SB: 2 Dragon's Claw

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

So, this was my Standard legal U/W Control deck from the last block. Any thoughts/opinions on improvements would be appreciated. It basically ran the table with anything in my area, but the people in my area didn't put a lot of thought behind their decks.

Spoiler: Deck List
    Show
    Land (24)
    Plains (7)
    Island (9)
    Evolving Wilds (4)
    Tranquil Cove (4)

Creatures (10)
    Mist Intruder (4)
    Topan Freeblade (4)
    Serra Angel (2)

Instants (16)
    Spell Shrivel (4)
    Negate (2)
    Ojutai's Command (4)
    Valorous Stance (2)
    Weave Fate (4)

Sorceries (6)
    Swift Reckoning (4)
    Planar Outburst (2)

Enchantments (4)
    Citadel Siege (4)

Basic gameplan was to get a 2 drop creature down by turn 2. After that, keep the board clear with counters and white removal. Citadel Siege could speed a slow win with the +2/+2 per turn, or could act as control by tapping creatures. Ojutai's Command is used to pull my 2 drops out of the graveyard, preferably while countering a spell. Freeblade and Serra Angel helped me to block creatures coming my way while I kept up the pressure, and Mist Intruders provided me with both an answer to flight and the fun of Ingest.

11. - Top - End - #221

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LordDavenport View Post
    So I am trying to make use of Thopter Foundry given the unban. I am terrible at modern brewing, but what do people think of this deck? I just sort of slammed Thopter into a Tezzeret control deck, and added dark confidants after I noticed the average CMC of the deck was less then 1. Generally just ends up stalling till I can get down the thopter combo, and then using that for value. What is nice is both Tezz and the thopter combo are pure value generators, so I never really NEED all 3. Though Tezz does give the deck some really nice reach against decks with a strong defense.

Spoiler: Franken Tezz
    Show

Main Deck:
    Artifacts
    4 Talisman of Dominance
    3 Thopter Foundry
    3 Sword of the Meek
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Executioner's Capsule
    Planeswalkers:
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    Creatures:
    4 Dark Confidant
    Sorceries:
    4 Reshape
    2 Damnation
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    Instants:
    2 Smother
    2 Spell Snare
    1 Doom Blade
    1 Go for the Throat
    Lands:
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Darksteel Citadel
    2 Island
    2 Swamp
    2 Watery Grave
    3 Darkslick Shores
    3 Ghost Quarter
    Sideboard:
    SB: 1 Disfigure
    SB: 1 Chalice of the Void
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Hurkyl's Recall
    SB: 2 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Hangarback Walker
    SB: 2 Negate
    SB: 2 Dragon's Claw
    One of the big strengths of UB tezz is that removal such as paths and bolts are relatively dead vs. the deck, which makes Dark Confidants likely to just eat removal. You're also really all in on the thoptersword combo, which is suspect because the combo is by no means an instant win. If you want card draw beyond UB tezz himself I suggest looking to Thirst for Knowledge, Serum Visions, Thoughtcast, or Ancestral Visions.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    One of the big strengths of UB tezz is that removal such as paths and bolts are relatively dead vs. the deck, which makes Dark Confidants likely to just eat removal. You're also really all in on the thoptersword combo, which is suspect because the combo is by no means an instant win. If you want card draw beyond UB tezz himself I suggest looking to Thirst for Knowledge, Serum Visions, Thoughtcast, or Ancestral Visions.
    Just to be clear, this isn't me dismissing your suggestions out of hand. I admit I am terrible at brewing, and this list was made by slamming thopter combo, a good u/b Tezz control deck I found online, and a good BUG deck I found online together. I am just trying to explain my reasoning for my choices, and why I don't think something might be a good idea. If I am being a dumb scrub, please tell me so.

Actually Confidant eating a path is often the best possible thing. As long as I don't have all my basics out, the ramp is always needed. Also him eating a bolt is amazing because that means one less bolt I have to eat. I dunno, I could see cutting him, he has just been a really nice draw engine, that also can trade with a lot of random burn creatures. Which is a major issue, because burn is one of the worst matchups I have run into. Thoughtcast would actually be nice, if I could find slots for it. I don't want to all in on the thopter combo because any more then one of each is dead. Also, I can still get it consistently because of reshape+Tezz.

I don't like AV in the deck because the early game is already a cluster ****, and it really is a win more card if I can stall to the point it resolves. It also makes me not want to play chalice for 0, which is in general amazing because it ****s up afinity and other decks running AV. Thirst is an issue generally because I like all my artifacts. I usually want to play them all, even dead ones as I can just reshape those... Though that may just my being a scrub showing. Serum Visions ****s up my early game, were I want to be threatening a turn 2 spell snare, or disfigure or whatever.

Does any of that make sense? I have never played a ton of modern, and don't really brew much. I generally just pull decks off TC decks and try to figure them out. I wanted to play with Thopter, but there haven't been any recent good wining decks running it for me to copy... so my flabby underused deck building mussels are straining a bit.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    So, this was my Standard legal U/W Control deck from the last block. Any thoughts/opinions on improvements would be appreciated. It basically ran the table with anything in my area, but the people in my area didn't put a lot of thought behind their decks.

Show
    Land (24)
    Plains (7)
    Island (9)
    Evolving Wilds (4)
    Tranquil Cove (4)

Creatures (10)
    Mist Intruder (4)
    Topan Freeblade (4)
    Serra Angel (2)

Instants (16)
    Spell Shrivel (4)
    Negate (2)
    Ojutai's Command (4)
    Valorous Stance (2)
    Weave Fate (4)

Sorceries (6)
    Swift Reckoning (4)
    Planar Outburst (2)

Enchantments (4)
    Citadel Siege (4)

Basic gameplan was to get a 2 drop creature down by turn 2. After that, keep the board clear with counters and white removal. Citadel Siege could speed a slow win with the +2/+2 per turn, or could act as control by tapping creatures. Ojutai's Command is used to pull my 2 drops out of the graveyard, preferably while countering a spell. Freeblade and Serra Angel helped me to block creatures coming my way while I kept up the pressure, and Mist Intruders provided me with both an answer to flight and the fun of Ingest.
    Well, siege and stance are gone. Always Watching is probably the best replacement for Siege, and it granting Vigilance means you don't want creatures that have it naturally. Drop the Freeblades for Spectral Shepherds and the angels for Thunderclap Wyverns, with an extra two replacing the Stances, I think. I don't see Planar Outburst doing much work for you since you aren't using any land creatures, so many drop them for more Negates? Also, Rattlechains would be better for you than Mist Intruder. More power and will give your Shepherds Flash.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

14. - Top - End - #224

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LordDavenport View Post
    Just to be clear, this isn't me dismissing your suggestions out of hand. I admit I am terrible at brewing, and this list was made by slamming thopter combo, a good u/b Tezz control deck I found online, and a good BUG deck I found online together. I am just trying to explain my reasoning for my choices, and why I don't think something might be a good idea. If I am being a dumb scrub, please tell me so.

Actually Confidant eating a path is often the best possible thing. As long as I don't have all my basics out, the ramp is always needed. Also him eating a bolt is amazing because that means one less bolt I have to eat. I dunno, I could see cutting him, he has just been a really nice draw engine, that also can trade with a lot of random burn creatures. Which is a major issue, because burn is one of the worst matchups I have run into. Thoughtcast would actually be nice, if I could find slots for it. I don't want to all in on the thopter combo because any more then one of each is dead. Also, I can still get it consistently because of reshape+Tezz.

I don't like AV in the deck because the early game is already a cluster ****, and it really is a win more card if I can stall to the point it resolves. It also makes me not want to play chalice for 0, which is in general amazing because it ****s up afinity and other decks running AV. Thirst is an issue generally because I like all my artifacts. I usually want to play them all, even dead ones as I can just reshape those... Though that may just my being a scrub showing. Serum Visions ****s up my early game, were I want to be threatening a turn 2 spell snare, or disfigure or whatever.

Does any of that make sense? I have never played a ton of modern, and don't really brew much. I generally just pull decks off TC decks and try to figure them out. I wanted to play with Thopter, but there haven't been any recent good wining decks running it for me to copy... so my flabby underused deck building mussels are straining a bit.
    I'm not sure if the Confidant is where you want to be against burn. If you wanted 2 CMC ramp you'd really just want to play mana rocks, of which you could use 2 more Dimir Signets to get that.

I don't think any of your artifacts are strong enough to justify Reshape, and I think the early game weakness comes from spending 3+ mana to cast reshape to find what you're looking for. Instead, Muddle the Mixture is a powerful 3 cost tutor that doesn't require sacrificing an artifact while also functioning as UU: Counter target instant or sorcery spell.

So with -4 DC and -4 Reshape, that gives you 8 fresh slots. You can put 2 towards Dimir Signet and another 4 towards Muddle the Mixture, leaving you 2 slots to put to something like Serum Visions. If you'd rather have a higher CMC tutor involved adding +1 Tezzeret the Seeker can help grindier matchups.

After that, I think -1 Ghost Quarter +1 Darksteel Citadel is a good choice to help you increase your artifact count. (16 artifacts gives you 80% chance of hitting on Tezz +1, 22 artifacts gives you 91%) while increasing your chances of going -1 turn a land into a 5/5 indestructible creature.

In terms of threats, I think fitting Batterskull in as a 1 or 2 of could really improve your aggro matchups by giving you a big lifelinker that you could even attach to a thopter to give it flying and +1/+1

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Yung Crunk View Post
    Man, I suck at drafts. Do y'all know of any resources where I might learn the intricacies of the format a bit more intimately?
    The Limited Resources podcast is where I learned to draft. I just listened to the set reviews; those give you a good idea of where to start in a given format, and you can pick up general principles from them as well. Watching videos of experienced drafters is also a great way to learn.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2016-04-13 at 05:50 PM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

16. - Top - End - #226

I had never drafted before and won my first ever competitive draft during the SOI release weekend. What I can say is, after talking to a few regulars at my neighborhood shop, I won by using cards no one expected to be used. For example I ended up drafting 4 Structural Distortions and that wrecked so many games.

My advice? Do what is unexpected in your local meta. Play a few cards the regulars feel are a little derpy. You may be surprised by the results.
    Last edited by polity4life; 2016-04-13 at 10:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227

I had never drafted before and won my first ever competitive draft during the SOI release weekend. What I can say is, after talking to a few regulars at my neighborhood shop, I won by using cards no one expected to be used. For example I ended up drafting 4 Structural Distortions and that wrecked so many games.

My advice? Do what is unexpected in your local meta. Play a few cards the regulars feel are a little derpy. You may be surprised by the results.
    Huh, that's interesting. How did that happen?

You might occasionally win games by drafting bad cards like Structural Distortion, but I don't think that's the best way to get better at the game. I'd say you should get a good grasp of what cards are generally good before going off the beaten path and exploring rogue strategies.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    I'm not sure if the Confidant is where you want to be against burn. If you wanted 2 CMC ramp you'd really just want to play mana rocks, of which you could use 2 more Dimir Signets to get that.

I don't think any of your artifacts are strong enough to justify Reshape, and I think the early game weakness comes from spending 3+ mana to cast reshape to find what you're looking for. Instead, Muddle the Mixture is a powerful 3 cost tutor that doesn't require sacrificing an artifact while also functioning as UU: Counter target instant or sorcery spell.

So with -4 DC and -4 Reshape, that gives you 8 fresh slots. You can put 2 towards Dimir Signet and another 4 towards Muddle the Mixture, leaving you 2 slots to put to something like Serum Visions. If you'd rather have a higher CMC tutor involved adding +1 Tezzeret the Seeker can help grindier matchups.

After that, I think -1 Ghost Quarter +1 Darksteel Citadel is a good choice to help you increase your artifact count. (16 artifacts gives you 80% chance of hitting on Tezz +1, 22 artifacts gives you 91%) while increasing your chances of going -1 turn a land into a 5/5 indestructible creature.

In terms of threats, I think fitting Batterskull in as a 1 or 2 of could really improve your aggro matchups by giving you a big lifelinker that you could even attach to a thopter to give it flying and +1/+1
    Yeah... I can see signet being really good. I have been having problems with color density. My issue with Muddle is that it puts it into hand, not into play. Which is a big deal. Reshape gets around spell snare, and also is a lower total cost to play the artifact. Muddle+playing the card =5 mana, were reshape is 4 mana. Also... bridge is often beyond high value. It has saved my life to many times. Same with pithing needle. Tezz control was already a giant pile of silver bullets, and reshape just lets me get any one I need. Were muddle just digs for combo pieces and removal.

OH big tez can search for citidels. The issue with CMC 5 Tezz is he can't coexist with U/B Tezz. Which is an issue as U/B tezz is the reasonable speed win con of the deck, and also the main value engine.

I'm going to try cutting DC and 1 ghost quarter, and adding 2xDemir Signet, 1xBatterskull, 1xTezzeret the Seeker, and 1xDarksteel Citadel.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Well, siege and stance are gone. Always Watching is probably the best replacement for Siege, and it granting Vigilance means you don't want creatures that have it naturally. Drop the Freeblades for Spectral Shepherds and the angels for Thunderclap Wyverns, with an extra two replacing the Stances, I think. I don't see Planar Outburst doing much work for you since you aren't using any land creatures, so many drop them for more Negates? Also, Rattlechains would be better for you than Mist Intruder. More power and will give your Shepherds Flash.
    Planar Outburst gives me a board wipe. I've really needed that board wipe against decks that want to try and throw the kitchen sink at you. The card also gives me the potential of helping out with mana flood, but that's not quite as necessary.

Always Watching doesn't quite give me what I'm looking for, I'll probably swap Siege for Gleam of Authority. Also, looking over the new set, Investigate looks to be stupid powerful, and is probably something I'll want to include.

Show
    Land (24)
    Plains (7)
    Island (9)
    Evolving Wilds (4)
    Tranquil Cove (4)

Creatures (10)
    Mist Intruder Rattlechains (4)
    Topan Freeblade Erdwal Illuminator (4)
    Serra Angel Archangel Avacyn (2)

Instants (16) (12)
    Spell Shrivel (4)
    Negate (2)
    Ojutai's Command (4)
    Valorous Stance (2)
    Weave Fate (4)
    Humble the Brute (2)

Sorceries (6)
    Swift Reckoning (4)
    Planar Outburst (2)

Enchantments (4) (8)
    Citadel Siege Gleam of Authority (4)
    (Replacing Weave Fate) Trail of Evidence (4)

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

Limited Resources is always good, LSV writes limited set reviews on Channel Fireball. There are a few episodes of Magic: The Ameturing that are focused on draft strategy. Check Gathering Magic and Star City Games as well for more articles.

My advice is to build a solid curve of creatures (ignore 1 drops, have a big chunk of 2s and 3s, fewer 4s and 5s) and only choose non-creature spells that have a big effect on the board (removal, combat tricks) or draw cards.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Huh, that's interesting. How did that happen?

You might occasionally win games by drafting bad cards like Structural Distortion, but I don't think that's the best way to get better at the game. I'd say you should get a good grasp of what cards are generally good before going off the beaten path and exploring rogue strategies.
    I didn't go in with the intent of drafting bad cards. I went in knowing how the other players played. It just so happened their decks had no response to some bad cards.

But frankly your advice is ultimately more sound. Case and point: my first packed had Westvale Abbey and Goldnight Castigator. I went with the latter since I wasn't sure if I could field 5 creatures regularly. It turns out that isn't that hard in limited. Sure, I won the draft but during some friendlies I found out what Westvale can do in limited and it's nuts. If I could redo it I think I would've gone Westvale.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

So, uh, story spoilers (kinda-sorta, not really)/rampant speculation (very much so).
    Spoiler: Yeah, its been out a little while, but still.
    Show
    So, remember the bit where Avacyn and Sigarda were talking? How Avacyn mentioned the "Great Work"? That ring any bells with anyone else? At first, I thought it was pure coincidence, now I'm less sure. Here's why

1. The plane is covered in odd spires (mycosynth/cryptoliths)

2. The greatest creation of a planeswalker being driven completely out of their minds (Memnarch/Avacyn)

3. The twisting/corruption/infection of the plane (Not possibly Emrakul, she explicitly doesn't affect nonliving/inorganic material, stone is shown being twisted in Thraben Inspector.

4. Great Work.

So yeah, my guess is that Phyrexia is somehow involved. There are more reasons that aren't just parallels, too. We haven't heard from them in a while, Bolas was the villain of Khans block, and well, eldrazi just left. If we're repeating villains, it'd be about time. Oh, and phyrexia works well at body horror and transforming things, which are already quite Innistradi things to have happen.

What do you think?
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    So, uh, story spoilers (kinda-sorta, not really)/rampant speculation (very much so).
    Spoiler: Yeah, its been out a little while, but still.
    Show
    So, remember the bit where Avacyn and Sigarda were talking? How Avacyn mentioned the "Great Work"? That ring any bells with anyone else? At first, I thought it was pure coincidence, now I'm less sure. Here's why

1. The plane is covered in odd spires (mycosynth/cryptoliths)

2. The greatest creation of a planeswalker being driven completely out of their minds (Memnarch/Avacyn)

3. The twisting/corruption/infection of the plane (Not possibly Emrakul, she explicitly doesn't affect nonliving/inorganic material, stone is shown being twisted in Thraben Inspector.

4. Great Work.

So yeah, my guess is that Phyrexia is somehow involved. There are more reasons that aren't just parallels, too. We haven't heard from them in a while, Bolas was the villain of Khans block, and well, eldrazi just left. If we're repeating villains, it'd be about time. Oh, and phyrexia works well at body horror and transforming things, which are already quite Innistradi things to have happen.

What do you think?
    Hmmmm...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Maybe the Eldritch Moon Nahiri is apparently drawing to Innistrad is some sort of New Phyrexian planeswalking machine? Kinda like the Blind Eternities version of a Death Star. But I am not sure, since phyrexian corruption causes a very specific form of insanity. And we have no signs that anyone wants to turn into cyborgs. While Avacyn does use the "Great Work" expression, her corruption is Red. And last time we heard about New Phyrexia, the Red and Black factions seem to have been driven underground, with Elesh Norn being the top dog. It seems uncharacteristic for her to use Red corruption. Also, the extermination of non-angelic life doesn't sound too practical for New Phyrexia. After all, why waste valuable raw material?
    Last edited by Malistrae; 2016-04-15 at 05:56 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Malistrae View Post
    Hmmmm...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Maybe the Eldritch Moon Nahiri is apparently drawing to Innistrad is some sort of New Phyrexian planeswalking machine? Kinda like the Blind Eternities version of a Death Star. But I am not sure, since phyrexian corruption causes a very specific form of insanity. And we have no signs that anyone wants to turn into cyborgs. While Avacyn does use the "Great Work" expression, her corruption is Red. And last time we heard about New Phyrexia, the Red and Black factions seem to have been driven underground, with Elesh Norn being the top dog. It seems uncharacteristic for her to use Red corruption. Also, the extermination of non-angelic life doesn't sound too practical for New Phyrexia. After all, why waste valuable raw material?
    Nope

Spoiler
    Show
    Mark Rosewater has said that nobody but planeswalkers can move from plane to plane, note that the Eldrazi do not actually enter a plane physically most of the time, they just inject the Titans to devour it from the inside.

So the Eldrazi are technically World Consuming Spiders, you are welcome for that thought.

Edit : The reason why no Planar Crossing Vehicles exist anymore is because it would make planeswalkers less "Special" since without the godlike state..their only trick is Planeswalking.
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2016-04-15 at 06:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235

I came in first in my draft tonight! First place!!!

Sorry. It's just... I'm not very good at this game and I never even make it to the top 50 percent. So I need to vent my giddiness somewhere.

The second of the three games was amazing, too. Second match in that was, possibly, the greatest hand of MtG I have ever played in my entire life.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

26. - Top - End - #236

Sorry. It's just... I'm not very good at this game and I never even make it to the top 50 percent. So I need to vent my giddiness somewhere.

The second of the three games was amazing, too. Second match in that was, possibly, the greatest hand of MtG I have ever played in my entire life.
    Congratulations!

27. - Top - End - #237

Boom. Good work.

What did you end up pulling?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

I make decks:

Feel the Burn - mono-red spellslinger deck with Skin Shedder and Dark Dwellers clogging up the board and Chandra topping the curve. I'm not sold on Tormenting Voice, though, more Dragons or some kind of artifact card draw might be better. Curve is ugly, too.

Indulge the Bloodline - mono-black tokens/aristocrats/vampire tribal. Call and Kal make tokens, Drana and Aristocrat pump them. I'm sure there's a Grixis version of this that's heavier on Madness and even better (yes please fiery temper/just the wind) but I haven't seen many of the new dual lands yet.

[http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/spiritgrinder/]Spiritgrinder[/url] - Azorius mill/spirit tribal. Mostly Sphinx's Tutelage, Fleeting Memories and Manic Scribe to rapidly mill, with Bygone Bishop and others to fuel the enchantments. The deck isn't very good - almost 2/3s of the non-lands are 3 drops - but I'm sure the general idea is sound. There must be a mill deck to be made with three engines and Startled Awake.
    Last edited by Dhavaer; 2016-04-16 at 04:02 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239

Feel the Burn - mono-red spellslinger deck with Skin Shedder and Dark Dwellers clogging up the board and Chandra topping the curve. I'm not sold on Tormenting Voice, though, more Dragons or some kind of artifact card draw might be better. Curve is ugly, too.
    You mostly just don't have the Madness for Lightning Axe or Tormenting Voice. I will say that, between the two, Avacyn's Judgement is much better than Burn from Within (and is amazing in general), and Incorrigable Youths might be worth testing as a flash blocker to get in with burn. Reckless Wurm would be better, but I assume this is Standard only.

Indulge the Bloodline - mono-black tokens/aristocrats/vampire tribal. Call and Kal make tokens, Drana and Aristocrat pump them. I'm sure there's a Grixis version of this that's heavier on Madness and even better (yes please fiery temper/just the wind) but I haven't seen many of the new dual lands yet.
    This deck would get a lot of work out of Falkenrath Gorger, Olivia, and Insolent Neonate. Would probably be better than the Cutthroats, Heir, and the From Under the Floorboards.

Spiritgrinder - Azorius mill/spirit tribal. Mostly Sphinx's Tutelage, Fleeting Memories and Manic Scribe to rapidly mill, with Bygone Bishop and others to fuel the enchantments. The deck isn't very good - almost 2/3s of the non-lands are 3 drops - but I'm sure the general idea is sound. There must be a mill deck to be made with three engines and Startled Awake.
    Link points to Indulge the Bloodline.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Fixed the dodgy link.

Spoiler
    Show