New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Princly Cup

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default The Princly Cup

A Court Wizard in stunning blue robes stands in the air with a wave of his hands a booming voice echos over the Contest Arena "Welcome to the First Anual Princly Cup. Today is the First day of the Contests the Competitors are
    Sir Raleigh Branta, a Neanderthal Bard/Paladin in the service of Playswithfire
    Dehl Barker, a Human Ranger/Swordsage sponsored by Dobe
    Uraz Son of Bane, a Human Barbarian from the clan of EloquentRune
    Jermayn Schirmherr, an Elf Fighter Fix from Bandeded
    Tristan de Troye, a Human Fighter of the House of Samuel
    And Carrick Ballyna, a Human Cloister Cleric/Diviner, from the Sainthood of Toliudar.
    Intruduce yourselves. To our lovly ladies."

With that three fireballs burst in the sky and a crowd of peaple littering the stands start to cheer.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Princly Cup

Carrick

With a wave of his hands and a grand flourish, a rather narrow-shouldered and unassuming young priest enters the Arena on a much larger mount. He wears the simple robes of a travelling priest, although he wears no discernable holy symbol. A heavy metal mace is strapped to his saddle behind him. Floppy dark hair is just avoiding getting into his eyes. A black hawk launches itself from his shoulder, and circles overhead. He peers out at the surrounding crowds and smiles.

Peering back at the much more impressive-looking warriors behind him, Carrick shrugs good-naturedly. His sweet, clear tenor voice sails above.

My Lady Magpie. My Lady Awfullich. My Lady Sha'Hilta. The mighty wizard does me too much credit. Ladies, and all the assembled gentlefolk, my name is indeed Carrick Ballyna, but I am from no sainthood. Though...I have read much of the lives of the saints.

And the sinners.

The broad grin that follows his last statement is calculated to bring a laugh from the crowd. If he could not be the imposing favourite to win, perhaps he could become the good-natured jester.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still have to buy the last 1K of gear. Sorry. Tomorrow!

If helpful: (1d20+7)[21] Perform, for any effects from the above.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-02-02 at 06:50 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raleigh (and Tala)

A wolf with pale grey fur and hard blue eyes walks slowly and deliberately towards the center of the arena, displaying a sense of quiet power while giving no impression of hostility. Upon reaching the center, the animal dips its head and then rears up on its hind legs. A voice emerges and seems to come from the wolf.

"Lords and ladies, I come before you with the honor of announcing the next competitor, a stranger to these lands, but no stranger to honorable combat. He has fought many battles in defense of his homeland, as well as for his new home among you. He fights here today to show his thanks for your acceptance of him in these lands and to prove himself worthy in the eyes of such fine lords and ladies to be called a Champion. I give you, Sir Raleigh Branta"

The large, powerfully built Sir Raleigh walks towards the wolf, which has resumed its standard four-legged stance and begun walking towards him. As they meet, the wolf circles behind him and falls into step with him as they together return to the center of the arena. With a quick nod to the wolf, Sir Raleigh continues in the voice that those present realize was his all along.

"I hope you can all forgive me my rather unorthodox herald, but had she the gift of speech, I would indeed choose Tala to announce me before an event such as this, for she has fought well beside me in more battles than any I have had the pleasure of serving with. My three great ladies, if my eccentricities have offended, you have my apologies beyond my words to express it; I could not bear it if it were to spoil your favor of me this day. For while in my native frostfell lands, we have days where night holds sway for but a few hours, I have never known such radiance as now when I stand in your illustrious presence. I am your servant, Sir Raleigh Branta and I hope my actions this day are to your pleasure. This last is said as he bows deeply and begins to back away to prepare for the first challenge.

Spoiler
    Show

Wolf speaking done using the Ghost Sound cantrip (no armor yet so no ASF). Wolf on hind legs is from his having perform as a bonus trick as my animal companion.
    Perform(oratory) check (1d20+7)[8] for all that if needed
    EDIT: please tell me it wasn't needed; yikes
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-02-03 at 09:51 AM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dehl

A rather large horse enters the arena. On its back stands a human of average height, wearing a rather worn and beaten set of traveling clothes. A large-brimmed hat sits atop his head, obscuring his features as he paces the length of his horse.

When the horse reaches the center of the arena, the man simply walks to the rear end of his horse and walks off.

When his feet touch the ground, he gives a flourish of his cloak and a bow, taking his hat off as he rises, Brown hair cascades from its hiding place and falls to his mid-back.

Ladies and Gentleman. I am Dehl Barker. Seeker of Knowledge, Jack of all trades. Master of all, master of none. It is my great honor to be accepted, weighed, and measured against the calibur of the opponents that will be joining me in competition.

He then turns to address the women of the court with a deep bow and an even deeper grin.

Miladies, I especially look forward to the undoubted pleasure of making your aquaintance.

With that said, he returns his hat to its rightful place, leaving his hair unfolded and calls his horse, Nipper is what he calls him, to his side, walking towards the edge of the arena, waiting for his remaining competitors to arrive.

Spoiler
    Show
    And a perform check... (1d20+3)[22]
    edit: Sweet... I couldn't have asked for a roll to have more awesome...
    Last edited by Doberler; 2008-02-03 at 10:32 AM.

Take the Hecatomb™ TCG What Is Your Doom? quiz.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

A large man riding a large black war horse can be seen not far from the gates of arena. Not slowing down at all the man bursts through the gates and rushes out onto the field.

He makes a few laps around the arena howling and swinging his massive greatsword over his head trying to excite the audience.

As he passes the crowds all can see that he is wearing leathers, and hides of animals, with a breastplate that has intimidating spikes protruding from it.

After his third lap he stops in the Arena center and jumps of of the back of his horse.

"I am Uraz, son of Bane, son of Glade, son of Horus, son of Gaius. Next in line to lead the tribe of the Stag. I am here to show you all the true strength of a man and gain honor for my people. I shall fight with all that I am and do all that I can not for myself but for my peoples who after I win shall no longer be kept from your cities and prosecuted without reason."

Spoiler
    Show
    oh btw I pick Red
    Last edited by EloquentRune; 2008-02-03 at 10:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

A slight elf of middling hight enter the arena, passing almost unnoticed in the excitement Uraz's enterance.

His armor is plain and unassuming, as is his mount's, and though he carries a greatsword and a lance, he seems merciful, and perhaps kind.

He dismounts when he reaches the center of the arena and bows to the ladies.

He begins soberly, "I'm sorry, my ladies. It seems I may be outdone for this opening appearance, but I promise not to be a disappointment for the rest of the competition. With luck, and perhaps a little help..." his eyes sparkle and he smiles mischievously, "I will not be an embarrassment. I await the command to begin," he finishes and takes up a ready stance.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

cool Re: The Princly Cup

Last contender entering the jousting area is Tristan de Troye, riding his white palfrey. The spirited stallion seems extremely nervous but his rider keeps him under control with only one hand on the reins. He waves at the crowd and receives many cheers in return. His blazon - purpure, a lion argent - is well known by many of the folks for the barony of Troye is not far away.
    Following the knight in his shiny armor are two squires, dressed in white and purple like the palfrey's coat. The first squire raise his left hand where a beautiful falcon his perched, sometimes sending a piercing shriek covering the noise of the crowd. The second squire keeps two astounding white greyhounds on leash.
    The knight cross the jousting area, maintaining his palfrey at an ambling gait, he then stops himself in front of the honor seats where the nobles and the ladies are. He removes his helm and still using one hand and his knees instruct his palfrey to do a curtsy by lowering his forelimbs and his head.

"Know oh fair ladies that it is a great pride for any knight to have a chance to compete in front of you. There are many champions coming from far away lands who are here to prove their valor, and I hope that I will give them all a good challenge. But my dearest wish is that this competition will please you and your noble guests.
    I may not have tamed a white lion like my ancestor, but I swear that my fame as a master of the beasts and of the weapons will honor the house of Troye."

Saluting again the noble assembly with a curtsy of his horse, he puts back on his helm adorned with white and purple long feathers and turn the palfrey where the other champions exited the jousting area. Then, raising his palfrey on his hind limbs, he draws his sword high in the sky and shout to the crowd "May Heironeous bless this tournament, and let the best champion prevail"

Spoiler
    Show
    The horse tricks are normal on a properly trained horse, and Tristan's palfrey being a show-off horse, it is trained for this kind of stuff. In case my riding check is needed:(d20+7)[24]
    Also a Perform (Oratory) check if needed: (d20+3)[19].

P.S. And apologies for the frequent mistakes in English, most of my medieval-based vocabulary is French

edit: minor rephrasing, unhappy with first version, revised CS
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-04 at 05:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The three ladies smiles apon the entering contestants. Each speaks in turn. Starting with Lady Sha'Hilta Oh, You six are kind. a smile crossing her lips she looks over to Carrick I too, know a thing or two of historical Sinners. Perhaps when the time is correct, we may discuss this more. she sits in her chair and smiles down.

The second Lady to speak is Lady Awfullich For starters, I am glad you are all gracing us with your talent. As we start with Violence A show of strangth, I will not be judging you favorly or otherwise at the moment. But hunting skills later, that is a differnt matter completely. A flicker of mischeif hits her eyes as she looks over to Raleigh But, if i could I would give Tala a point of favor, she is a beuty to behold

The final Speach of approval or otherwise is given by Lady Magpie and starts with a yawn Wonderful, a bunch of fluffed up knights, atleast that last one is a proper knight...but other then that i'm less than impressed with the selection. she yawns again and eats a chocolate that she has infront of her.

Afer the Three ladies speak the Mage trumpets out again Very well, the games shall begin! The lots have been cast! and The following peaple will face off in the Joust! Lord Dehl Vs. Lord Trove, Lord Raleigh Vs. Lord Carrik, Lord Schirmherr Vs. Lord Uraz , Please collect your Lances and make it to the Jousting Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    As the Wizard Said, I want in spoilers, ACs Rolls to hit, bonuses to hit(inculde your +2 for charging), and Attack Rolls, and Damage Rolls in your posts. Remember the Scoring Requires both Style and Highest Damage. The lances are Masterwork, so remember to put that into your bonuses.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Carrick bows low to each of the three ladies as they speak - that is, as low as he can without pitching forward in the saddle. He dismounts carefully in order to go and select a lance from the pile.

En route, he nods somewhat shyly to the massive Sir Raleigh. When he reaches the lances, he does his best to hoist one without grunting. Somehow, he manages to get back onto the horse holding the lance, and to get over to the jousting pitch.

At the pitch, when the "two minute warning" is given, Carrick draws a trio of scrolls from a bag at his belt. He takes a full minute to pray silently, drawing the power of the spirits to him. Slowly and carefully, he reads off all three scrolls, followed by two additional spells that he weaves himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if you're running all of the jousts simultaneously. I'm fine to put this on hold if we're not first up.

Spellcraft DC 16 to identify the first, third and fifthspells he casts. DC 17 for spells two and four.

First: Mage Armour
    Second: Alter Self - he turns into a Tren
    Third: Shield
    Fourth: Bull's strength
    Fifth: Magic Weapon

Revised stats: HP 19; AC 27; Attack with Lance +3 for 1d8+2

Partway through his preparatory process, Carrick nearly doubles in size, becoming a rugged, scaly lizard-creature with prominent fangs and a long, slender tail. He pauses in his spell-casting to shout out to the crowd.

My fine opponent hails from the wild-lands, and to match him, I too now become a wild thing. May both of us battle well, for the glory of this cup.

Shamelessly, he pumps his lance in the air in an effort to sway the crowd to greater excitement, and then turns his attention to his formidable opponent.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #10

Sir Raleigh

There's more to you than meets the eye, good sir. I know not your new form and would learn of it later, but first, we battle! AARROOOOOOOO!

Spoiler
    Show

The wolf howl is one of my inspire courage uses for the day. Not sure if we're actually doing the rolls, but I'm going to do them and you can extrapolate the modifiers if you want to roll them yourself.

AC 22 (unless we subtract the 2 from changing)
    HP 26
    Perform check for style (1d20+7)[16]
    Attack Roll (1d20+11)[25]
    Damage Roll (1d8+5)[6] x2 for charging while mounted

OOC: definitely thought "HULK SMASH" when I saw what you changed into and please tell me that 27 is before subtracting 2 from charging
    silly 1s for damage
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-02-05 at 11:12 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Raaargh!

The lizard-man roars and urges his mount forward. He tightens his grip on his lance as he lurches forward.

Spoiler
    Show
    playswithfire - the hulk reference is brilliant. Fortunate for both of us - and the tournament - that he's the Banner-in-control Hulk.

Man, am I a geek.

The AC 27 is indeed before the charge.

Carrick's rolls:

(1d20+7)[12] Perform
    (1d20+5)[6] Attack Roll
    (1d20+5)[10] Confirmation, if attack roll is a natural 20
    (1d8+2)[9] Damage, x2 for charging

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dehl

Dehl bows to the ladies, his eyes meet theirs, one by one, seeming to pause longer on Lady Awfullich. He knew he was an Excellent hunter. That event was almost assuredly his.

With that, he leads his mount to the racks, hefting a lance and climbing nimbly onto his mount.

He then leads his mount to the starting area, awaiting his turn against his opponent.

Those who were looking at him would see a grin on his face for a moment. When the moment passed, his image would start to blur as shadows began coalescing around him, making him a difficult target. As soon as he would spur his mount into a charge, he would whirl his lance about his head and it would alight.

"YAAH!" He would scream, spurring his mount to greater speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Child of Shadow stance grants 20% Concealment
    Burning Blade Technique grants 1d6+3 fire damage on a successful attack
    AC while charging: 21
    Attacker misses on a roll of 1-20(1d100)[95]
    Perform Check: (1d20+3)[13]
    Attack Roll : (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage Roll (Lance and Fire): (1d8)[2] + (1d6+3)[8] x2 on lance damage because of the cahrge
    Last edited by Doberler; 2008-02-05 at 01:12 AM.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

13. - Top - End - #13

Statblock
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Jermayn Schirmherr |Elf |Fighter fix |4 |Neutral Good |Medium
    25/25 |+3 |40 |AC/T/FF |20/15/15 |Chain shirt
    Melee Atk |Lance +8, Greatsword +6 |Lance 1d8+4, Greatsword 2d6+3 |Ranged |Comp(+2)Longbow +7 |1d8+2
    Saves |Fort 2 |Ref 5 |Will 2
    Srt - 14 |Dex - 16 |Con - 10 |Int - 10 |Wis - 15 |Cha - 8[/table]

Jermayn

Against him?! First! Gods be good to me, guide my blows and allow me the victory! he thought, nervous though this was hardly his first battle. He quickly drinks his potion of Bears endurance, and fills himself with eagerness to do battle, though the sight of one contestant changing himself into some odd creature sickens him slightly.

"Forward, Jed'aen!" he calls to his horse as he charges.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope no one minds if I use the lance I brought.
    New Con score = 14. New HP = 33. New Fort save = 4. AC because of charge = 18
    Attack - (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[8] x2 because it's a lance on a charge.

Edit: Freaking three...
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-02-04 at 11:36 PM.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14

Tristan

Now mounted on his strong destrier, Tristan is about to take the lance handed by his squire Jehan, when he notices the lizard-on-a-horse and the would-be knight howling like his wolf.
    Tristan sight. "By Heironeous, surely this is a joke and the tournament assembly wants to entertain the crowd by allowing these buffoons to the contest". Then noticing the scared look of his squire he adds: "They are not dangerous, my true challenge are certainly the barbarian and the elf, but to be honest, I have no idea what my actual opponent is worth. Look at him, no armor ! There's surely something fishy here and I should be careful, I just pray he will not change in a weird beast or start howling like Raleigh".

Tristan then enters the racks, noticing the shadows engulfing Dehl. He spurs his destrier and raise him on his hind limbs to shout the warcry of his familly "TROYE AVANT". Then seeing Dehl's lance suddenly ablaze he wonders if he shouldn't have asked his squire for a hanap of cordial before this joust, he immediately takes a defensive stance.

And now the shock: will steel prevail against magic ?
    Spoiler
    Show

AC 20-2+4 = 22 mount charging, fight defensively
    Attack (d20+6)[7] mount charging, mw lance, fight defensively
    Dmg (d8+3)[4] x2

edit: aargh, Tristan has been really surprised by Dehl's combat tactics, his lance went astray !

For the DM about my temple questions: I wanted to replace potions use by a priest of Heironeous blessing Tristan, that would have looked more in line with this chivalry stuff. But finally I have an other idea: Tristan's squires could provide him with a cup containing a potion and that would also be okay. So don't bother with this, I just purchased two aid potions and now have approx 180gp left.

And one last question about potions: does the tournament rule allows one to use them during fights ?
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-05 at 10:39 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Crowd Cheers with glee at the goings on. The Ladies seem impressed with the performance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not during events, but you can use buff magics before each event. You have two minets to cast or drink potions. (that is 20 rounds) you don't have to use this time, but it is allowed. The Joust is just one attack. So, once we get the last contestant's attacks I'll score everything.

16. - Top - End - #16

frown Re: The Princly Cup

Tristan

Looking at the burned mark tarnishing his armor which took the brunt of the blow Tristan is disappointed he didn't even graze his opponent.

He crosses again the jousting area and open his visor to salute Dehl.
    "You sir took me really off guard with your fighting style. I look forward to face you again in the duel and really wish we could continue this jousting. But since this tournament is based on a single exchange, I concede you had the upper hand."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey DM, what happened to your avatar ? Did she don a girdle of gender changing ?
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-05 at 12:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dehl

Damn, Dehl thought to himself as his lance skittered across the man's armor. As he came to the edge of the jousting area, he led Nipper back the the weapon racks and dismounted, the flame on his lance had died out by now, and he decided to let the shadows that aided him rest. He was putting his lance back in its place when Sir Troye began to speak to him.

"I too sir, wish we could continue this sport. I must say you have a rather impressive defense. I shall take from this experience the knowledge of battle you've exhibited and add it to my own. I look forward to seeing how things play out in the events to follow."

With that, he bows to the man and leans on his horse, watching the rest of the jousts play out.

The Lizard-man intrigued him. He searched his memory with a grim look on his face. His knowledge was vast. But like many things, his knowledge was too spread out to tell him anything about this interesting race.

He would have to ask him about that later.
    Last edited by Doberler; 2008-02-05 at 12:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sir Raleigh

Wheeling about at the end of his charge, Sir Raliegh pumps his lance in the air, attempting to add some glory to what he knew was a fairly weak hit. But he had scored a hit and not been touched and that deserved a brief show of pride.

Handing off the lance to a nearby squire, Sir Raleigh rides slowly back to the center to speak with Carrick. Yes, as I said, more than meets the eye. I confess I underestimated you before. I think I was fortunate that this new form seemed to have issues fighting on horseback. In sword on foot, I expect we shall see great things from you. Good luck to us both. Sir Raleigh extends his hand and will shake if Carrick is agreeable, then ride back to his area to dismount and make sure Tala is prepared for the hunt.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Keeping his lance nearly vertical, Carrick remains mounted, trotting forward to chat briefly with Sir Raleigh. He waves a bit ruefully to the crowd as they come together. Carrick's polite tone is heavily distorted by the beast's fanged jaws.

A solid hit, sir! Well done. I would have appreciated a chance at a second pass - perhaps after the tourney is complete?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-02-05 at 01:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

"MWAhahahahaha This little thing shall be no challenge for me."

Uraz's face shows a massive grin as he mounts his steed and is handed his lance. "KORD! guide my blows and let me defeat my foe with strength and speed"

"Enough talk you shall now loose."

Spoiler
    Show
    AC 18 Attack (1d20+8)[10] Damage (1d8+3)[7]x2 my HP=41
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Wizard flys up high and starts his speach, it booms over all the exitment as he announces the scores for the Joust The following Scores have been given, For Best Joust ((Damage)) an award is granted to Lord Dehl, for Style and showsmenship, one point goes to Lord Raleigh. The ladies wish to speak.

The lady Magpie stands to speak, a hush goes over the crowd. Oh you have woo'd me with your valor sir knight, Lord Trove, I bestow on you one Favor. Please prove worthy of this grant as I have few favors to grant. she smiles and sits.

Lady Tialait Stands to speak A suprising work of Transmutaion, magical ability and choice of exotic ability has been shown to me today. For that I grant my favor. Lord Carrick You have proven that magic may win this Tournement, even without winning this round. I look forward to seeing some more magical suprises, and even more exotic accorances. She smiles bows then sits.

Lady Sha'Hilta stand and speaks scowling down at the competitors. What a bunch of wimps. I would have wiped the floor with the lot of you. But sense everyone else is gunna give away their favor, I'll give one to that guy who hit the hardest, Sir...um Delh or whatever I dunno she sits back and grumbles.

The Wizards voice is heard again. Compeditors have two hours, the Baazzar is open if you wish to buy addional equipment or sell anything. At the end of Two hours please report back here, and We will begin The hunt, if you wish to start your hunt then you must come to me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Good job everyone!, alright, you can sell any of your equipment at eh baazzar for half the listed price for that item. Any Magical or Mundane Item that isn't costum can be found there at book price. After everyone decides what they are doing with this downtime, I will tell you how the Hunt works in Mechanics.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dehl

Dehl bows at the crowd when his name is announced by the wizard. When Lady Sha'Hilta begrudgingly grants him her Favor, he smirks at her, deciding to hold his tongue and a snappy remark. He instead decides to tip his hat at her, bowing slightly.

As he listens to the announcement, he begins preparing himself mentally for the hunt, deciding which techniques he has at his disposal that would benefit him the most.

A few minutes pass with Dehl in quiet contemplation. Once he finishes preparing himself. Should no one attempt to stop him, he would proceed to the wizard to begin his hunt.

Spoiler
    Show

Readying the following Maneuvers: Counter Charge; Wolf Fang Strike; Mighty Throw; Fire Riposte

23. - Top - End - #23

Tristan

Immediately after the end of the joust Tristan sent his squire Jehan on an errand. "Take this purse to friar Cafdael at the temple of Heironus and ask him to give you the most beautifull rose in his garden".

Once dressed for the woods and while his second squire prepare his palfrey with the hunting gear, Tristan takes a glass of wine in his tent with a few knigths and barons acquaintances.

"My friends, I can't believe this big oaf of Raleight got a point in the joust. The court has already been buzzing about him for months since duke Ferdinand knighted him. Imagine the ruckus it would cause should he wins the Princly Cup ? Surely the story would cross the borders of the kingdom. I'm wondering if the duke isn't trying to make a joke on all of us by showing that a savage can be a proper knight. In any case I thank you for your support and pray Heironus will guide my hounds to a great stag."

Spoiler
    Show
    10 gp in the purse as a donation to the temple (and maybe some wine for the friar ).

To Playswithfire: I took the liberty to give a name to Raleigh's sponsor, but if you have a better idea let me know I will correct it (or maybe the DM if this cup takes place in a campaign setting)
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-06 at 08:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

cool Re: The Princly Cup

Tristan

Moments after his fellow knights wished him good luck, Tristan is back in front of the ladies. He has donned his hunter's garb: leather boots, a studded leather armor, a green cloack and a felt hat of the same color with two peacock feathers. He wears a dagger on the belt and a beautiful rose is sewed on his armor. His left leather glove is rugged and bigger than the one handling the reins.

He rides again his white palfrey. But this time the horse do not wear an exotic saddle and a coat with Troye's colors. He has a simple saddle albeit with a very wide pommel, and two little saddle bag on each side, one being a quiver with many arrows and an impressive bow.
    On each side of the horse a white greyhound walks unleashed, alert and graceful.

"My ladies, I present myself to you for I am ready for the hunt. Hunt is a noble art and in all honesty I hope I could entertain you a bit by explaining how I practice it. Many believe my two greyhounds here are just good to run behind little game or please a lady as an ornament. But their scent is very good and they are swift enough to race a stag and chase it back to me. I have spend many days in the woods of the kingdom to train them and hope we will together bring your cooks the meat of this evening. Of course no dog could catch the elusive dove or even rarest birds living in the royal forest. This is why I also trained this falcon."
    Taking a very little whistle hanging on his neck, Tristan use it and raises his left hand. A little falcon fly straight to his hand and perch upon it.
    "Even the best bowman's arrow can't follow a bird among the trees, but my falcon do. If by luck I spot a pretty bird whose feathers and delicate meat would please you, I will bring it back."

Tristan then let the falcon perch on his saddle pommel and cover its head with a leather blindfold. He then looks straight at lady Magpie.
    "Fair lady, know that I have been extremely honored by your favor, and this rose on my heart is a token to your kindness. It shall remember me that I have been blessed by your sight for the rest of this tournament."

Following this speech Tristan orders his hounds to sit and do a curtsy with his horse. He then leaves in the direction of the forest in a slow canter, shortly followed by his hounds which stayed sit till he told them to follow.

edit: my English is so baad, I always find mistakes when I read myself later.
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-06 at 01:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uraz infuriated by his showing in the joust goes to the Bazzar and purchaces a hunting dog to help him with the hunt after selling his warhorse and saddle.

Uraz removes his armor to prepare more for the hunt.
    Last edited by EloquentRune; 2008-02-06 at 12:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

At the announcements, Carrick waits with the others, grinning at the incongruity of the savage lizard-creature among the stuck-up knights. Even he, however, is shocked when Lady Tialait announces her choice. Immediately, he steps forward, and simultaneously drops to one knee and releases the transformation, becoming once again a humble priest in order to receive her favor.

My lady, you are too kind. Indeed, I hope that magic and courage will prove to be as valid a cause for celebration in the tasks ahead as skill with sword and bow. You are...gracious to indulge me in this.

Rising, he steps back, and bows his head. And turns to chat again with Sir Raleigh.

That was indeed well fought there. And I loved the trick you did with the wolf earlier. Very nice. I guess he'll be an invaluable assistance to you in the hunt ahead as well.

27. - Top - End - #27

Raleigh

Raleigh bows slightly to the ladies when it is announced that he has earned the point for showmanship and this fortunately covers his brief grimace upon learning that he did not win for damage. Silently cursing himself for the weakness of the hit, he returns a smile to his face and addresses the ladies. This point seems hollow without the favor of such fine ladies. Efforts shall be redoubled to show my strength and worthiness. The word strength is said as he directs his gaze to lady Sha'hilta.

He then turns to answer Carrick. Yes, Tala has aided me in many hunts and I believe she will again. I look forward to seeing the form you take for the hunt Sir Carrick. If you will excuse me, some preparations are needed. This armor is excellent for open combat, but I fear it will spoil the game out in the woods.

Spoiler
    Show

Raleigh sells his horse, saddle and shield at the bazaar and picks up 2 potions of hide from animals, 2 potions of mage armor and a potion of invisibility

slb, that name is fine
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-02-06 at 10:53 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Wizard Flys overhead All contestants please report to the Courtyard. The ladies wish to adress you before your hunt. He waits till all are gathered.

Then the Lady Sha'Hilda stands We have each been told to give you a hint on what kinds of yummy animals we like to eat, I will tell you now, don't be bringing back something that couldn't have hurt you. That will not fly with this woman. I mean, Come on, what is the sport in that? she takes her seat after speaking.

Lady Magpie stands I just love wild hare, if you could bring it back I would be most impressed, after all, there are wonderful dishes our chefs can make with it, but be careful, too much damage can ruin the whole of the Hare. Lady Magpie sits down.

Lady Tialait stands Do NOT bring back too much meat for yourself and two other peaple, it would be overhunting. I do understand the art of the hunt. But, Over doing such graces can cause unbalances. We do not wish to have such things. she then sits.

The Wizard Speaks once more. The Ladies have spoken, bring back a animal of your choice, the Rules where set before you before this compitiion even started. Now, you have four hours annnnnd your off. as he said 'off' a fireball went off in mid air.

Spoiler
    Show
    This calls for some crunch. Alright, First the 'no-track' rules.
    Roll a Survival Check, an 3 attack rolls, and 3 damage rolls. This is all against the same creature. if you wish you may attempt just 1 attack and damage roll if you succeed on killing your prey with this one attack, you will get a point in the cup. If you miss all three attack or do not have enough damage after your damage rolls. You can try again. You may try up to 4 times. If you fail 4 times your hunt was unsuccessful. Every Animal has AC 14 and 8 HP keep that in mind. Without Track you are unable to choose the animal you are hunting down. But, here is a guide
    DC 31 or Higher is an unicorn (disregard your attacks, it follows you back, you get 1 favor from lady magpie)
    DC 16 to 30 is Exotic beast (Be creative, if you get this you qualify for most exotic.)
    DC 11 to 15 is Deer or Hare
    DC 10 or lower is Fowl.

Alright, Track Rules:
    If you have a Hound, or other hunting animal you may use Tracking rules. As above, but you may choose to lower your survival check. as many as you wish. So, if you got a 29, but wanted to get a 15 you may lower it and find the deer or hare you wished to find. In addion you may add a plus 5 to the check.

OH, a Note to Bandededed You can still do your shopping.

Some potions will give you an advantage, just ask in spoilers. After your rolls I'll recalulate.

Have fun with your hunts!

29. - Top - End - #29

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for taking so long

Jermayn

Frustrated, obviously so, by his horrendous display during the joust, he seems to be arguing with himself about it while the wizard speaks.

He stops immediately when the ladies begin speaking, however, and he seems unsurprised when his name is called out for nothing. He is unhappy, though, and expresses such, saying "I am sorry, my ladies, and I seem to be repeating myself. I have failed in my promise, and will not make another such. I remain undaunted, however, and will try again, and again, and again if I must." He leaves to prepare soon after.

To prepare for the hunt, Jermayn practices extensively with his greatsword, making sure he is in the best possible form before it begins.

[after hunt begins]

As soon as the wizard finishes speaking, Jermayn smears oil from his pouch onto his Greatsword, and it glimmers faintly in the air. After this, he moves into the forest slowly, looking form something to help him win favor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tracking: (1d20+7)[27]

To edit after roll.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Launching his hawk into the air, Carrick trots into the forest after it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was hoping to use my hawk's aerial perspective, ability to cover a lot of area, and great spot check to help find prospective game from above. He then communicates a basic sense of the creature and direction to it back to Carrick. If need be, in order to keep up with a fleeing creature, Carrick can cast fly on himself. I'm not sure how to incorporate all of that into the scenario.

Similarly, my hope is to disable the creature to make it easier to kill, using sleep, glitterdust and web spells. In an ideal world, he wouldn't be killing the creature at all, but bringing it back bound, so that the Ladies can decide what they want done with it.

So, I'm going to roll a survival check, but also a spot check for the hawk, to get this started, and you can let me know how to proceed:
    (1d20+9)[17] Survival
    (1d20+16)[30] Spot