New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: New Friends, No Axes IC

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    As the two spoke the wall slowly opened. From the darkness beyond (So dark it must be magical as Terrach's eyes could not pierce it) a voice emerged. "I believe what I said was 'Bugger'. You always forget something before long journeys."

The speaker emerged. Withered, mummified skin clung in patches to dried bone. His head was bare, the only light the two glowing green embers in his eyes. Bony hands protruded from the pink fluffy bathrobe he wore, one holding a flagon labeled "#1 [fill in the blank]".

He looked at the gathered party and back at his mug. "You couldn't even wait for me to finish my tea?" He sighed, took a quick swig and looked back up. "Shush."

With that the entire party felt the heavy weight of sleep come down on them and they collapsed to the ground.

Spoiler: Note for Everyone
    Show
    I rolled the Will Saves already, you all failed.

I am asking for a reaction post if you can, basically the moment between processing this and falling asleep.
    Zinnia just stares at the utterly bizarre spectacle in front of her, completely unable to fit together the horrifying sight of the rotting withered undead abomination with the fluffy bathrobe and mug of tea. "Uh, did someone cast a confusion spell or something, because--"

She's unconscious before she hits the ground.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

PLEASE ONLY READ THE POSTS ASSIGNED TO YOUR CHARACTER

ALSO TO REPLY PLEASE POST IN A SPOILER!

Spoiler: Zinnia Only
    Show
    You awaken to find yourself on the deck of a ship. Other Tengu are swarming on the rigging, trying to get the sails under control. The wind lashes against her feathers, and she can see that it is strong enough to literally pull the feathers from the Tengu on the upper rigging. Another sudden wave crashes onto the deck, knocking her down a hatch. As she tumbles to the bottom she sees the lower deck, a giant brig. Tengu, some in the rags of common thieves, others wearing soldiers uniforms, are caged. Some hold onto the bars as if they can break free and escape the storm, others curl up in a corner, hurling their guts out.

"This is much to recent you know. But it had context for you."

As she heard the words she was transported to a raft drifting in the middle of the peaceful ocean. The being that had sent her to sleep sat beside her, a large straw sunhat perched on his skull. "Watch." The cloudless sky's shimmered, as if reality was folding them in on themselves. Without a cloud appearing first one drop, then two then a deluge poured down on the small raft. The sunhat transformed into an umbrella as the man looked out across the now turning water. The storm winds started much the same way, slowly but increasing to typhoon levels. He speaks again.

"Do you understand?"

Spoiler: Braxton Only
    Show
    As you wake up, the first thing you notice is you are standing in a tundra like place by a rocky shore. You see reindeer picking their way through the tufts of grass and nuzzling their young. Seals bask on the rocks, their blubber protecting them from the still cold air. There is no sign that this land has ever been touched by humans or any other intelligent species.

"Peaceful isn't it?"

The man who had exited the hidden doorway stands next to you, wearing a parka and thick pants, though you see he has forgotten to put on shoes. As he speaks the air grows colder and ice starts appearing out of shivering waves of along the beach. The water the seals are basking near starts to freeze, the process happening so fast you can see the ice crystals form, trapping some of the seals inside. Others slide out onto the ice, trying to get into the water. The ice creeps onto the land, destroying the grass tufts, causing the ground beneath your feet to grow slick and hard to stand on.

"This part took a while." The scene in front of you speeds up and you see the seals and reindeer quickly disappear as the ice continues to spread. As time goes on it grows stronger, freezing everything in its wake. He speaks again.

"Do you understand?"

Spoiler: Terrach Only
    Show
    You are in a row of dwarves pulling a large wagon up to the surface. The wagon contains worked stone, food, tools. All the items needed for establishing a post on the surface. With each step the bright light of the entrance grows closer, closer, until you are outside. As you look around you see flat prairie land for miles in any direction, the sloped ramp down the only marker of dwarves.

"We do drink tea. It tastes good."

The man from before, the one from both the footprint and the tea, stood beside him, helping haul the cart. The ground under the cart starts to rumble, then the world starts to shake. "Behind you." As you spin you see the ground in front of you shimmer and fold. Then it bursts forward. The land in front of you grows and grows, until you stand at the foot of a giant mountain. In the distance you see a line of similar mountains forming. The prairie is no more. He speaks again.

"Do you understand?"

Spoiler: Freya Only
    Show
    Meow, meow mew meow. Hiss meow. Meow meow meow meeeow. meoow. Meow.

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    As you awaken you see the Strange Bone Man kneeling in front of you. He looks confused. But his bathrobe is fuzzy. "I have no clue why I am doing this." He sighs, looking down at you. Now you are comfortable you process your surroundings, a giant tree place. Behind the Strange Bone Man, you see large cats stalking what look like small humans. Comforted you snuggle deeper into the comfy material. You hear another sigh. His voice comes again, this time sounding resigned.

"Do you understand?"

Spoiler: Laurel Only
    Show
    You wake up to find yourself sitting by a fire with a group of what look like elves except their skin is as black as coal, while their hair is bleached as white as bones. Beyond the circle of tents is a large savanna. The elves are passing around skewered chunks of meat and talking animatedly. Their garb is that of scouts, sent to explore a new land.

"The answer is a magic key. Opens it remotely."

As Laurel heard the words she spotted the man sitting next to her. He was wearing a loose wrap around his body now and was holding a stick with a sticky white puff at the end. As she watched he lowered it over the fire to let it brown. "Skeleton girl. You are not what you seem are you?"

As he spoke the white puff caught fire, quickly bursting into a puff of ash. The heat from the fire started to rise and rise until it felt like they were in the middle of the fire itself. The elves around the fire started to flee into the night, but as they did so the ground beneath them turned to sand. Then the sky sped up, rushing forward in time. As Laurel watched, their flesh quickly fell off and the rapid spin of day and night left their bones bleached in the sun. He speaks again.

"Do you understand?"
    Last edited by Athedia; 2016-12-16 at 07:03 PM.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Athedia ONLY
    Show

Laurel watches the events unfold with confusion, and winces as the puff bursts into flames, followed shortly by everything else.

"Do I understand?"
    She repeats, then looks intently around the expanse that had once been a campsite. "You can control fire? You like killing foreign elves? Which I most certainly am not, by the way." She gestures around vaguely with one hand and hopes that she hadn't just accidentally reminded her captor that killing her would be fun. "I'm sorry, I'll need a little more than that."

She crosses her arms. "And I'll have you know I'm exactly what I seem. I am a natural blonde."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Terrach, Athedia only
    Show
    Terrach stares at the newly formed mountain range, recognizing it. "These mountains, they are familiar. Are you saying they were made?" He says the word with disgust, to think someone would have the audacity to alter the natural landscape on such a scale. "And, no, I don't understand how you drink tea. Do you even have a stomach or a tongue after a thousand years?" Terrach mutters, grumpily. After all, he didn't like fake, dream worlds, nothing ever made sense in them.

Spoiler: Freya, Athedia only
    Show
    Freya stares at the bone-man. Of course she understands, but no one ever understands her, so why bother. Better to just enjoy the comforts of life. She rubs her cheek vigorously against the bone-man's fuzzy knee and purrs. This sound at least some people understand.
    Last edited by SirCatBeard; 2016-12-16 at 07:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Show

Laurel watches the events unfold with confusion, and winces as the puff bursts into flames, followed shortly by everything else.

"Do I understand?"
    She repeats, then looks intently around the expanse that had once been a campsite. "You can control fire? You like killing foreign elves? Which I most certainly am not, by the way." She gestures around vaguely with one hand and hopes that she hadn't just accidentally reminded her captor that killing her would be fun. "I'm sorry, I'll need a little more than that."

She crosses her arms. "And I'll have you know I'm exactly what I seem. I am a natural blonde."

Show
    "Yes... you most definitely are." His voice sounded dry and was tinged with obvious sarcasm. "But I sensed something strange this morning, witch." He looked out at the rapidly growing desert. "I don't care about that. Just as you don't care about your ancestors, those who settled and paled. And I didn't cause this, it is a memory of the land. A scar that never healed in its rebirth."

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by SirCatBeard View Post
    Show
    Terrach stares at the newly formed mountain range, recognizing it. "These mountains, they are familiar. Are you saying they were made?" He says the word with disgust, to think someone would have the audacity to alter the natural landscape on such a scale. "And, no, I don't understand how you drink tea. Do you even have a stomach or a tongue after a thousand years?" Terrach mutters, grumpily. After all, he didn't like fake, dream worlds, nothing ever made sense in them.
    Show
    "A scar on the worlds surface. Unable to heal in its rebirth." He stared out at the scene, holding quiet for a moment. "I dried out, I didn't rot! Anyway, I installed a receptacle. It is more the principle that matters."

Show
    Freya stares at the bone-man. Of course she understands, but no one ever understands her, so why bother. Better to just enjoy the comforts of life. She rubs her cheek vigorously against the bone-man's fuzzy knee and purrs. This sound at least some people understand.
    Show
    He sighed again and then reached down and scratched at the fur between her shoulder blades. "Won't he be surprised when you grow up?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    "Yes... you most definitely are." His voice sounded dry and was tinged with obvious sarcasm. "But I sensed something strange this morning, witch." He looked out at the rapidly growing desert. "I don't care about that. Just as you don't care about your ancestors, those who settled and paled. And I didn't cause this, it is a memory of the land. A scar that never healed in its rebirth."
    Show

Laurel's face goes as pale as the bones of the drow, her freckles stand out like they'd been drawn on. All fear of the speaker left, replaced by a cold terror gnawing at the pit of her stomach. Being murdered in a dream by some undead eccentric would be bad. Having her new companions find out what she carried with her would be worse. "You can't tell anyone about that. Any of that. Especially the paladin. Or if you do, eat him." She nods decisively. "Good talk."

After a moment to collect herself she plasters on a smile and moves on to the matter at hand. "What kind of rebirth? Are we talking about the changing of seasons? Of centuries? Or are enough Gods involved to make it literal?"

8. - Top - End - #278

Show
    "A scar on the worlds surface. Unable to heal in its rebirth." He stared out at the scene, holding quiet for a moment. "I dried out, I didn't rot! Anyway, I installed a receptacle. It is more the principle that matters."

Show
    He sighed again and then reached down and scratched at the fur between her shoulder blades. "Won't he be surprised when you grow up?"
    Show
    Terrach's gaze lingers on the mountains and the dwarves for a few moments more, then he turns back to the footprint man. "'Rebirth'? Which are you talking about; the world goes through rebirth each year, constantly growing and changing. A scar implies a wound. I don't know what could cause a wound of this magnitude, but beauty came out of it, a rebirth in and of itself."

Show
    Freya arches her back at the new scratching. I suppose. Freya was not really sure how big she would grow, she did not know her mother long, but she felt she was a predator, wild and strong. Done now. Without any indication, Freya paces away from the bone-man and stares intently into the distance, at the feline predators. That is what I am.
    Last edited by SirCatBeard; 2016-12-16 at 08:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279

Show

Laurel's face goes as pale as the bones of the drow, her freckles stand out like they'd been drawn on. All fear of the speaker left, replaced by a cold terror gnawing at the pit of her stomach. Being murdered in a dream by some undead eccentric would be bad. Having her new companions find out what she carried with her would be worse. "You can't tell anyone about that. Any of that. Especially the paladin. Or if you do, eat him." She nods decisively. "Good talk."

After a moment to collect herself she plasters on a smile and moves on to the matter at hand. "What kind of rebirth? Are we talking about the changing of seasons? Of centuries? Or are enough Gods involved to make it literal?"
    Show
    "Those secrets will come out in time. But not by me." He sat down on the sand and picked up a handful, letting the grains fall through his bony fingers. "Cikal is new and old. And new thrice more and old twice more. It reaches its end years now. Living long past even my reckoning. The gods die and hide and fight. They are near death now, sequestered in their retreats. Cikal is far more powerful than gods."

10. - Top - End - #280

Show
    Terrach's gaze lingers on the mountains and the dwarves for a few moments more, then he turns back to the footprint man. "'Rebirth'? Which are you talking about; the world goes through rebirth each year, constantly growing and changing. A scar implies a wound. I don't know what could cause a wound of this magnitude, but beauty came out of it, a rebirth in and of itself."
    Show
    "Cikal is new and old. And new thrice more and old twice more. It reaches its end years now. A scar comes when there has been recovery. Another scar may form, but just as likely the infection could destroy."

Show
    Freya arches her back at the new scratching. I suppose. Freya was not really sure how big she would grow, she did not know her mother long, but she felt she was a predator, wild and strong. Done now. Without any indication, Freya paces away from the bone-man and stares intently into the distance, at the feline predators. That is what I am.
    Show
    The bone-man watched her walk away and smiled. "Enjoy. You will awake soon." He disappeared from the scene, leaving her alone. Then she grew, and grew until she reached the size of the other large cats around her.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show

Laurel shakes her head. "Nothing's more powerful than gods. That's why they're gods."

She sits down as well, kicking up a puff of sand. "But there's nothing saying some gods can't be more powerful than others, like your Cikal, I guess. Why are you telling me this? Not that I don't appreciate your hospitality....sir?"

She suddenly realizes that she has no idea how to address this madman. 'Your Boneliness', 'Mr. Desert Sir', and 'Lord Bathrobe Evangelist' all seem like equally bad ideas.

"Oh, can you believe it, I never introduced myself. I'm Laurel Cascara, at your service."

12. - Top - End - #282

Show
    "Cikal is new and old. And new thrice more and old twice more. It reaches its end years now. A scar comes when there has been recovery. Another scar may form, but just as likely the infection could destroy."

Show
    The bone-man watched her walk away and smiled. "Enjoy. You will awake soon." He disappeared from the scene, leaving her alone. Then she grew, and grew until she reached the size of the other large cats around her.
    Show
    "You're talking of world-scale changes, and you claim we approach an era's end. I don't suppose you know what form this 'infection' will take?"

Spoiler: Freya!, Athedia only
    Show
    Freya bounds off to hunt, fully grown, she marvels at the power of her muscles and the length of her leap as she pounces.

13. - Top - End - #283

Show

Laurel shakes her head. "Nothing's more powerful than gods. That's why they're gods."

She sits down as well, kicking up a puff of sand. "But there's nothing saying some gods can't be more powerful than others, like your Cikal, I guess. Why are you telling me this? Not that I don't appreciate your hospitality....sir?"

She suddenly realizes that she has no idea how to address this madman. 'Your Boneliness', 'Mr. Desert Sir', and 'Lord Bathrobe Evangelist' all seem like equally bad ideas.

"Oh, can you believe it, I never introduced myself. I'm Laurel Cascara, at your service."

Show
    "Don't preach about the gods to me. I remember when they walked the world in an attempt to destroy each other. They are weakened, but will return with Cikal's rebirth. .... The worlds rebirth. Cikal is what we called the world in my time, though I expect the use has faded with time and lost knowledge."

As she introduced herself, the man stood up and brushed the sand off his bones. He shifted to the form of a young human and bowed. [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]"Alfred. And you are at my service. I require something of each of you."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    "Don't preach about the gods to me. I remember when they walked the world in an attempt to destroy each other. They are weakened, but will return with Cikal's rebirth. .... The worlds rebirth. Cikal is what we called the world in my time, though I expect the use has faded with time and lost knowledge."

As she introduced herself, the man stood up and brushed the sand off his bones. He shifted to the form of a young human and bowed. [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]"Alfred. And you are at my service. I require something of each of you."
    Spoiler: Athedia only
    Show

"Lovely to meet you, philosophy aside," Laurel says, standing up as well. "Well, I prefer this side of the grass, so I suppose I'll do what you want. What is it?" Despite her bravado, she looks more than a little nervous.

15. - Top - End - #285

Show
    "You're talking of world-scale changes, and you claim we approach an era's end. I don't suppose you know what form this 'infection' will take?"
    Show
    "Cikal, the world, this plane of existence, is attractive. I have spent centuries pouring over the details, trying to understand what causes these scars. Dead end after dead end. And now, when I finally believe I might be on the right path, the items that hold the answer are beyond my reach."

16. - Top - End - #286

PLEASE ONLY READ THE POSTS ASSIGNED TO YOUR CHARACTER

ALSO TO REPLY PLEASE POST IN A SPOILER!

Show
    You awaken to find yourself on the deck of a ship. Other Tengu are swarming on the rigging, trying to get the sails under control. The wind lashes against her feathers, and she can see that it is strong enough to literally pull the feathers from the Tengu on the upper rigging. Another sudden wave crashes onto the deck, knocking her down a hatch. As she tumbles to the bottom she sees the lower deck, a giant brig. Tengu, some in the rags of common thieves, others wearing soldiers uniforms, are caged. Some hold onto the bars as if they can break free and escape the storm, others curl up in a corner, hurling their guts out.

"This is much to recent you know. But it had context for you."

As she heard the words she was transported to a raft drifting in the middle of the peaceful ocean. The being that had sent her to sleep sat beside her, a large straw sunhat perched on his skull. "Watch." The cloudless sky's shimmered, as if reality was folding them in on themselves. Without a cloud appearing first one drop, then two then a deluge poured down on the small raft. The sunhat transformed into an umbrella as the man looked out across the now turning water. The storm winds started much the same way, slowly but increasing to typhoon levels. He speaks again.

"Do you understand?"
    Spoiler: Athedia
    Show
    Zinnia watches the scene silently. The Tengu on the ship...she'd always head that they were all soldiers. Or was this some sort of esoteric metaphor that she could never really understand?

She doesn't even mention the utter bizarrness of the HALF ROTTING SKELETON in the FLUFFY PINK BATHROBE or the STRAW SUNHAT. Because apparently this is a thing that's happening and might as well roll with it.

"...Maybe? First question: Are you showing me something that actually happened or is gonna happen in a freaky vision of the future dreaming of things to come way, or is this some all some sort of metaphor about a storm in my soul or something else like that? Because my answer's really gonna change depending on what yours is."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-12-16 at 09:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287

Spoiler: Athedia Only
    Show
    For a time, Braxton could only look upon the scene, baffled by his new situation. Eventually, though, he regained some kind of train of thought.

"Wait... 'took'? Is this some kind of scene from the past I'm watching? Where are we? And who are you?" Braxton's voice was still weary and confused, but became slightly more focused as he remembered something. "And what did you do with my friends?"

Spoiler: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Show
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE!
    ┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE!
    ┻━┻ ︵ \\('0')// ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES!
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

18. - Top - End - #288

Show
    "Cikal, the world, this plane of existence, is attractive. I have spent centuries pouring over the details, trying to understand what causes these scars. Dead end after dead end. And now, when I finally believe I might be on the right path, the items that hold the answer are beyond my reach."
    Show
    Blast it all, more cryptic words.

"What a nice, cryptic non-answer. What path is this and what items would those be?"
    Last edited by SirCatBeard; 2016-12-16 at 10:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Show
    Zinnia watches the scene silently. The Tengu on the ship...she'd always head that they were all soldiers. Or was this some sort of esoteric metaphor that she could never really understand?

She doesn't even mention the utter bizarrness of the HALF ROTTING SKELETON in the FLUFFY PINK BATHROBE or the STRAW SUNHAT. Because apparently this is a thing that's happening and might as well roll with it.

"...Maybe? First question: Are you showing me something that actually happened or is gonna happen in a freaky vision of the future dreaming of things to come way, or is this some all some sort of metaphor about a storm in my soul or something else like that? Because my answer's really gonna change depending on what yours is."
    Show
    "Past and Paster. More Past." He developed a concentrated look and the shrugged. "This really did happen. The Barrier Storm didn't always exist. It was formed very, very long ago. Your people, that ship of them anyway, got swept off course." He pulled out another umbrella from his robe and offered it to Zinnia. "This is just a much easier way to talk. You know, without you attempting to kill me."

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Table Flipper View Post
    Show
    For a time, Braxton could only look upon the scene, baffled by his new situation. Eventually, though, he regained some kind of train of thought.

"Wait... 'took'? Is this some kind of scene from the past I'm watching? Where are we? And who are you?" Braxton's voice was still weary and confused, but became slightly more focused as he remembered something. "And what did you do with my friends?"
    Show
    "You catch on quick. This is what is now the Frozen Wastes, that northern wasteland of cold and death." He waved a hand summoning a fire and two stools. "They are sleeping, same as you. Speaking in dreams is the best way to prevent you from killing me. And I need to talk to you, Ice-Blooded. You four are unique, each somehow tied to the four great scars." He sits down at the stool and warms his hands at the fire, but Braxton doesn't feel the cold.

21. - Top - End - #291

Show
    "You catch on quick. This is what is now the Frozen Wastes, that northern wasteland of cold and death." He waved a hand summoning a fire and two stools. "They are sleeping, same as you. Speaking in dreams is the best way to prevent you from killing me. And I need to talk to you, Ice-Blooded. You four are unique, each somehow tied to the four great scars." He sits down at the stool and warms his hands at the fire, but Braxton doesn't feel the cold.
    Show
    Braxton raised an eyebrow. "Okay... " He somewhat reluctantly joins the man by the fire and sits on the other stool, not completely convinced this man has the best intentions. "And what is it that you need to talk to me... to us, I suppose... about, exactly? And what do I have to do with this... desolation?" He gestures around at the frozen wasteland.

Spoiler: Sense Motive?
    Show
    (1d20+8)[15]

Just trying to detect ill intentions, if I can do so during a dream sequence.

Show
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

22. - Top - End - #292

Show
    Braxton raised an eyebrow. "Okay... " He somewhat reluctantly joins the man by the fire and sits on the other stool, not completely convinced this man has the best intentions. "And what is it that you need to talk to me... to us, I suppose... about, exactly? And what do I have to do with this... desolation?" He gestures around at the frozen wasteland.

Spoiler: Sense Motive?
    Show
    [roll0]

Just trying to detect ill intentions, if I can do so during a dream sequence.
    Show
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Just a request if for things like sense motive, perception, bluff, things that might give you false results on lower scores, if you could let me roll? Just post that you want to make that roll and I will do it.

As for this time, Braxton doesn't sense any ill intentions

"I need help. I have spent centuries studying why this and other events like it happened. And each of you are tied to these disasters, not the cause, but you are the product. In my centuries of study I have started to figure out what causes these, what leaves these scars on Cikal's surface. But my resources end there, I lack the items needed to finish my research. Items I can not procure. That is why I need you."

23. - Top - End - #293

Show
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Just a request if for things like sense motive, perception, bluff, things that might give you false results on lower scores, if you could let me roll? Just post that you want to make that roll and I will do it.

As for this time, Braxton doesn't sense any ill intentions

"I need help. I have spent centuries studying why this and other events like it happened. And each of you are tied to these disasters, not the cause, but you are the product. In my centuries of study I have started to figure out what causes these, what leaves these scars on Cikal's surface. But my resources end there, I lack the items needed to finish my research. Items I can not procure. That is why I need you."
    Show
    As the man explains himself more, Braxton visibly relaxes some, though he certainly still had many questions. "So, you need us to get these items for you, then? What are they? And you say the four of us specifically are the products of these events? I'm still not sure I exactly follow on that front, I'm afraid."

Show
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

24. - Top - End - #294

Show
    "Past and Paster. More Past." He developed a concentrated look and the shrugged. "This really did happen. The Barrier Storm didn't always exist. It was formed very, very long ago. Your people, that ship of them anyway, got swept off course." He pulled out another umbrella from his robe and offered it to Zinnia. "This is just a much easier way to talk. You know, without you attempting to kill me."
    Show

Zinnia, nonplussed, takes the umbrella. But rather than using it right away she takes a moment to spread her wings and let the rain pour over her as she thinks. The barrier storm didn't exist? There was a time when the sea was clear? That does sorta make sense with her history--you don't deliberately sail into a storm like that. And if this vision is true the ship her ancestors were on was a prison ship and not a scouting or merchant ship?

Just who is this guy, and how does he know all this? And why is he sharing it with her and her companions (not friends, not yet)?

She shakes herself off when she feels clean, and only then opens the umbrella and continues, slowly voicing her thoughts as she pieces them together. "So there was a time when the seas were clear, and you're showing me this for some reason. The people I'm with aren't Tengu so there's no reason you'd show them the same thing, but you're probably showing them something else since you knocked out all of us. So what are you showing them? If the Barrier Storm wasn't always around does that mean the mountains and the desert and the tundra weren't always around either? Is that what you're showing them?" She's almost grilling him now, not aggressively--there too much what the ****ery going on to be aggressive--but her questions are tumbling into more questions and the feathers on the back of her neck begin to prickle at the last of them. "Why are you showing us this? What do we have to do with this? Who are you? How do you know all this?

...What do you want from us?"

Show
    Is this ok? Do you want me to break this up into a couple of posts?

25. - Top - End - #295

Show
    As the man explains himself more, Braxton visibly relaxes some, though he certainly still had many questions. "So, you need us to get these items for you, then? What are they? And you say the four of us specifically are the products of these events? I'm still not sure I exactly follow on that front, I'm afraid."
    Show
    The man waved his hand at Braxton's statement, dismissing it. "Specifically, no. But who you are today, where you were born, the blood running through your veins. They are all ripples of these events. Some events matter for you more than others. I don't know exactly why this one was so important." The ice has stopped growing and now there is a white wasteland in all directions. Out of the distance Braxton sees the silver and white wings of two dragons swooping around each other, fighting. They grow closer, red spattering the snow. The white one falls from the sky, shaking the ground. As the silver one lets out a roar of victory the ground shakes, splitting and revealing a large white creature that erupts from the ground, snatching the silver dragon in its mouth. It drags its food back under the ice.

There is silence. The ice reforms over the hole and encases the white dragon carcass. "In the center of these wastes sits an old building. Inside sits a book. Bring me that book." He looks out over the wasteland once more. "You will wake up soon." With that, he disappeared.

Spoiler: Athedia only
    Show

"Lovely to meet you, philosophy aside," Laurel says, standing up as well. "Well, I prefer this side of the grass, so I suppose I'll do what you want. What is it?" Despite her bravado, she looks more than a little nervous.
    Show
    "In the desert is a king. His castle is built above the ruins of an ancient grave. I need the text his coffin holds." Alfred stared at the desert, standing to leave. "You will wake up soon."

Show
    Blast it all, more cryptic words.

"What a nice, cryptic non-answer. What path is this and what items would those be?"

Show
    "To the north of here, at the peak of the Milnu Mountains, there is an ancient barracks. Find it, bring me the Stele at the center. Its twin sits in a secret Hold deep in the place where the Holey Mountains touch the desert. I will require both." He watched as the shaking ground finally settled. "You will wake up soon." With that, he disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Show

Zinnia, nonplussed, takes the umbrella. But rather than using it right away she takes a moment to spread her wings and let the rain pour over her as she thinks. The barrier storm didn't exist? There was a time when the sea was clear? That does sorta make sense with her history--you don't deliberately sail into a storm like that. And if this vision is true the ship her ancestors were on was a prison ship and not a scouting or merchant ship?

Just who is this guy, and how does he know all this? And why is he sharing it with her and her companions (not friends, not yet)?

She shakes herself off when she feels clean, and only then opens the umbrella and continues, slowly voicing her thoughts as she pieces them together. "So there was a time when the seas were clear, and you're showing me this for some reason. The people I'm with aren't Tengu so there's no reason you'd show them the same thing, but you're probably showing them something else since you knocked out all of us. So what are you showing them? If the Barrier Storm wasn't always around does that mean the mountains and the desert and the tundra weren't always around either? Is that what you're showing them?" She's almost grilling him now, not aggressively--there too much what the ****ery going on to be aggressive--but her questions are tumbling into more questions and the feathers on the back of her neck begin to prickle at the last of them. "Why are you showing us this? What do we have to do with this? Who are you? How do you know all this?

...What do you want from us?"

Show
    "Smart one. My name is Alfred, and I need you to understand what I wish to prevent. I have an item I need you to search out." He gestured and the two of them were swept away by the wind until the raft bumped on the shore of what Zinnia recognized as Mez-Otup. He pointed to the West. "Deep in jungle of the Farlands is an ancient temple. Forged in blood and war. Inside are records from before the first disaster. Written on the skin of the survivors. Bring those to me." He watched the waves calmly knock the raft against the shore. "You will wake up soon." With that, he disappeared.

26. - Top - End - #296

There is silence for a few moments, then darkness. You feel the cold ground underneath your backs. As you arise you notice the hole in the wall stands open, but that the man from before has disappeared. In front of each person is a small bag with a note with their name.

Spoiler: Terrach
    Show
    Inside the bag is the token of the frog from outside the mausoleum. Next to it is a collar and bracelet, made of similar materials. A note inside reads. Squeeze frog for 5 seconds to activate doorway. The collar and bracelet will allow you to feel as one with your companion.

Spoiler: Item Description
    Show
    The collar and bracelet are made out of a soft leather material. When worn it allows an empathic link between the wearers. It also grants a +2 to Handle Animal checks regarding the animal companion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Empathic Link (Su): The master has an empathic link with his familiar to a 1 mile distance. The master can communicate empathically with the familiar, but cannot see through its eyes. Because of the link's limited nature, only general emotions can be shared. The master has the same connection to an item or place that his familiar does.

Spoiler: Braxton
    Show
    Inside the bag is the token of the fish from outside the mausoleum. Next to it is an amulet, glowing a icy blue. A note inside reads. Squeeze fish for 5 seconds to activate doorway. The amulet will keep you from falling.

Show
    This amulet will activate if you fall below 0 hitpoints, once per day with the equivalent of the spell Hero's Defiance. With the exception it does not cost you a use of Lay on Hands.

Spoiler: Zinnia
    Show
    Inside the bag is the token of the swallow from outside the mausoleum. Next to it is a mask with a protruding section that looks like it will fit over the top of her beak. A note inside reads. Squeeze swallow for 5 seconds to activate doorway. See, you didn't need to try to steal one. The mask will protect your eyes.

Show
    This mask grants a +2 perception bonus and makes the wearer immune to the dazzled condition.

Spoiler: Laurel
    Show
    Inside the bag is the token of the deer from outside the mausoleum. Next to it is a necklace with a pendant with an image of a skull. A note inside reads. Squeeze deer for 5 seconds to activate doorway. Let the dead take the blow.

Show
    Once per day and undead creature you control can take the effect of one hit against you.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show

"Grave robbing." Laurel nods, and continues speaking as Alfred leaves and the desert starts bleeding away into the darkness of sleep. He was probably still listening. "Or archaeology at this point. I can do that."

Laurel wakes up with a start, uncomfortable from being wedged up against the altar. She grabs the bag and stands, looking around carefully to make sure Alfred hadn't just sat down among the congregation before saying anything. "Well, I'm assuming everyone else got to have a nice little chat too. We'd better get going, the desert's pretty far off."

28. - Top - End - #298

Terrach stands and brushes himself off, trying to look dignified, like he did not just fall asleep because some dead guy with a cup of tea told him to. "Hold on a second. Do we really trust this guy? He left his pets here to attack us, knocked us out, and invaded our minds. He seemed nice and all, but he is undead; they aren't usually known for being good people. He could just be using us to do his dirty work. Do we have any evidence to support his claim that the world is approaching a calamitous change, or that these items, and he himself, for that matter, would help?"

Despite his mistrust, Terrach grabs the bag and heads over to check on Freya, who was waking and looking around calmly, possibly looking a little disappointed, though Terrach could not be sure. He pockets the frog statue and examines the collar and bracelet from the bag, hesitant to trust them, given their origin. "And after his pets and his mental assault, he just gives us gifts?" Terrach holds up the collar and bracelet. "Anybody else think that is weird? Or that maybe these things are cursed?"

Terrach turns to his friend, "Braxton, do'you trust the guy?"

29. - Top - End - #299

Terrach stands and brushes himself off, trying to look dignified, like he did not just fall asleep because some dead guy with a cup of tea told him to. "Hold on a second. Do we really trust this guy? He left his pets here to attack us, knocked us out, and invaded our minds. He seemed nice and all, but he is undead; they aren't usually known for being good people. He could just be using us to do his dirty work. Do we have any evidence to support his claim that the world is approaching a calamitous change, or that these items, and he himself, for that matter, would help?"

Despite his mistrust, Terrach grabs the bag and heads over to check on Freya, who was waking and looking around calmly, possibly looking a little disappointed, though Terrach could not be sure. He pockets the frog statue and examines the collar and bracelet from the bag, hesitant to trust them, given their origin. "And after his pets and his mental assault, he just gives us gifts?" Terrach holds up the collar and bracelet. "Anybody else think that is weird? Or that maybe these things are cursed?"

Terrach turns to his friend, "Braxton, do'you trust the guy?"
    As Braxton woke, he sat up and looked into his bag, pondering the dream he just had: Where I was born... Did he know something that he could have told me? No, perhaps it was just something he sensed... Or something. He was half-listening to the conversation going on around him, but at Terrach's question, he stood up and refocused.

"As you may know, I certainly do not generally have a favorable attitude towards undead myself. That said, I must confess that I didn't get the sense that he had any ill intentions, either. Still, he was asking for a lot, and not just of me, I gather." He turned to Laurel. "Some far off desert, you said it was? And he asked me to go to some place up north called the Frozen Wastes to retrieve some kind of book, and I imagine he asked the two of you..." looking at Terrach and Zinnia "to go to some similarly far off and inhospitable place to retrieve something as well." Braxton paused to take a drink of water. "To answer your question, Terrach, I'm willing to believe him for now, I think, but if we do this, we'll have to do some careful planning first."

Show
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

30. - Top - End - #300

Laurel wakes up with a start, uncomfortable from being wedged up against the altar. She grabs the bag and stands, looking around carefully to make sure Alfred hadn't just sat down among the congregation before saying anything. "Well, I'm assuming everyone else got to have a nice little chat too. We'd better get going, the desert's pretty far off."
    As Braxton woke, he sat up and looked into his bag, pondering the dream he just had: Where I was born... Did he know something that he could have told me? No, perhaps it was just something he sensed... Or something. He was half-listening to the conversation going on around him, but at Terrach's question, he stood up and refocused.

"As you may know, I certainly do not generally have a favorable attitude towards undead myself. That said, I must confess that I didn't get the sense that he had any ill intentions, either. Still, he was asking for a lot, and not just of me, I gather." He turned to Laurel. "Some far off desert, you said it was? And he asked me to go to some place up north called the Frozen Wastes to retrieve some kind of book, and I imagine he asked the two of you..." looking at Terrach and Zinnia "to go to some similarly far off and inhospitable place to retrieve something as well." Braxton paused to take a drink of water. "To answer your question, Terrach, I'm willing to believe him for now, I think, but if we do this, we'll have to do some careful planning first."
    "Hold on a second. He told me of two places: a barracks at the peak of the Milnu Mountains to the north, and a Hold within the Holey Mountains by the desert. And that he supposedly needed items there to learn about the possible end of the world, at least as we know it." Terrach looks at the still sleeping Zinnia, "Assuming she was told of at least one place as well, that makes five, which amounts to quite the journey. What were you supposed to get from your places, anyway?"