New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: New Friends, No Axes IC

The bookcase swung toward Zinnia, revealing a small crawlspace. Once inside it opened up into a new room, smaller than the bedroom. The most prominent feature was a large altar that took up half of the available space. The elemental symbols were spread out over the circular surface of the altar and a bowl with a burnt feather floating on a muddy slurry lay on the center of the altar. To the side of the room was a small set of shelves with only a small box of papers and a blue bag with the initials A.H. in neat gold embroidery and a different set of needlework in the design of what you can only assume to be a bunch of flowers.
    Last edited by Athedia; 2016-06-11 at 03:57 PM.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    The bookcase swung toward Zinnia, revealing a small crawlspace. Once inside it opened up into a new room, smaller than the bedroom. The most prominent feature was a large altar that took up half of the available space. The elemental symbols were spread out over the circular surface of the altar and a bowl with a burnt feather floating on a muddy slurry lay on the center of the altar. To the side of the room was a small set of shelves with only a small box of papers and a blue bag with the initials A.H. in neat gold embroidery and a different set of needlework in the design of what you can only assume to be a bunch of flowers.
    Laurel makes a small sound and grabs the bag, opening it up and shaking it upside down to get rid of anything the innkeeper may have put inside. She mumbles the activation word and sticks an arm inside the small bag up to her elbow, although it looks like it could barely have fit her fist. After a moment of frantic searching, Laurel relaxes visibly. "Everything important's here at least," she says, searching around some more, then pulling out a flask from the bag's hidden depths and taking a long drink before offering it to the rest of the party.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Laurel makes a small sound and grabs the bag, opening it up and shaking it upside down to get rid of anything the innkeeper may have put inside. She mumbles the activation word and sticks an arm inside the small bag up to her elbow, although it looks like it could barely have fit her fist. After a moment of frantic searching, Laurel relaxes visibly. "Everything important's here at least," she says, searching around some more, then pulling out a flask from the bag's hidden depths and taking a long drink before offering it to the rest of the party.
    As Laurel shakes the bag out 2 fresh eggs fall out of the opening and crack open on her foot.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Laurel does absolutely nothing about the eggs. Her foot is decidedly the cleanest part of her as she walks over to examine the altar.
    Spoiler
    Show

What kind of knowledge check is an altar? Take what you need, leave the rest.
    Knowledge (religion): (1d20+6)[21]
    History: (1d20+8)[17]
    Arcana: (1d20+11)[27]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Freya bounds into the crawlspace and Terrach follows, with a little more difficulty than his friend. As they emerge, Terrach glances around the room. "That's some bag you got, it eats your arm and spits out a flask, what a trade." Terrach mutters as he accepts the flask and takes a cautions sniff and sip; after all, you can learn a lot about a person from the choice of drink. "But I thought you said your name was Laurel. How do you get to 'A.H.' from that?"

After handing the flask back, Terrach wanders over to the box of papers and examines them Freya bounds up onto the alter and sniffs curiously at the burnt and muddy bowl.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirCatBeard View Post
    Freya bounds into the crawlspace and Terrach follows, with a little more difficulty than his friend. As they emerge, Terrach glances around the room. "That's some bag you got, it eats your arm and spits out a flask, what a trade." Terrach mutters as he accepts the flask and takes a cautions sniff and sip; after all, you can learn a lot about a person from the choice of drink. "But I thought you said your name was Laurel. How do you get to 'A.H.' from that?"
    The flask contains a strong whiskey of surprisingly good quality. "Ah, that. The 'A.H' stands for 'Amazing Handbag', I think. It's a sort of manufacturer's mark."

7. - Top - End - #127

The flask contains a strong whiskey of surprisingly good quality. "Ah, that. The 'A.H' stands for 'Amazing Handbag', I think. It's a sort of manufacturer's mark."
    "Hmm, not bad." Terrach comments as he hands back the flask. "Ah, I see. Makes sense. Though you've got a weird manufacturer, labeling things like that; ' thought those were usually for initials."

8. - Top - End - #128

"Everything important's here at least," she says, searching around some more, then pulling out a flask from the bag's hidden depths and taking a long drink before offering it to the rest of the party.
    "Thank you, but I don't need a drink right now."

Braxton decides to take a closer look at the altar.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    If applicable:

Perception (only look, not touch, in case it's trapped): (1d20+4)[13]
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+5)[9]

Spoiler: Athedia
    Show
    Sense motive on Laurel regarding the A.H. explanation:
    (1d20+8)[14]

Spoiler: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Show
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE!
    ┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE!
    ┻━┻ ︵ \\('0')// ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES!
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Hmm, not bad." Terrach comments as he hands back the flask. "Ah, I see. Makes sense. Though you've got a weird manufacturer, labeling things like that; ' thought those were usually for initials."

"I know, it's for special occasions,"
    Laurel replies, taking back the flask and having another sip. "Not dying is a very special occasion."

She pats her 'Amazing Handbag' with obvious pride. "Well, it's a very weird bag, wouldn't there have to be a weird manufacturer?"

10. - Top - End - #130

Spoiler: Laurel
    Show
    You know that the the symbols are from an ancient religion that worshiped the elemental forces of nature. It doesn't have any magical properties but the ritual seems to have been an attempt to make an offering to the elements.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Laurel
    Show
    You know that the the symbols are from an ancient religion that worshiped the elemental forces of nature. It doesn't have any magical properties but the ritual seems to have been an attempt to make an offering to the elements.
    After a moment, Laurel motions at the altar. "More elemental stuff. Trying to make an offering or something. Considering he's dead, it must have been very effective." She looks at the unholy symbol before shoving it into her 'Amazing Handbag'. "The innkeeper must've been a lay follower, though. No magic in this at all."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Colossus in the Playground

As Laurel shakes the bag out 2 fresh eggs fall out of the opening and crack open on her foot.
    Zinnia ignores the altar (although she does shudder) and crouches to the ground. She brushes the eggs with her hand, picking them up and turning them over. She also inspects the burnt feather and pokes the slurry with a stick.

After a moment, Laurel motions at the altar. "More elemental stuff. Trying to make an offering or something. Considering he's dead, it must have been very effective." She looks at the unholy symbol before shoving it into her 'Amazing Handbag'. "The innkeeper must've been a lay follower, though. No magic in this at all."
    "I guess that's refreshingly direct," she says in regards to the handbag. The tengu turns back to the altar. "So what do you know about this weird elemental religion? Other than that its worshipers are creepy guys who like to bury people alive. I guess that's earth, so what's for the others? Drowning? Burning? Chucking them off cliffs?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2016-06-12 at 10:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

As Zinnia prods under the altar she dislodges a backpack, which Laurel recognizes as the other half of her belongings. The contents looked untouched, as though the bag was set aside for later.

Terrach read the contents of the letters carefully, noting that there seemed to be a few different hands.

Spoiler: Letters
    Show

Spoiler: Letter 1 (Neatly folded into an expensive looking envelope)
    Show

R,
    I regret to inform you that no information has been discovered regarding the riddle. Solve it if you can.
    -U

Spoiler: Letter 2 (Neatly folded into an expensive looking envelope)
    Show

R,
    N retrieved package. Extra baggage involved. Unable to examine further.
    -U

Spoiler: Letter 3 (Cheap paper in an envelope that was crumpled and straightened out)
    Show

Dear Mr. Rubem,
    I regret to inform you that the cookbook you ordered with the basic cooking lesson primer is unavailable.
    Regretfully,
    Brunes Book Emporium

Spoiler: Letter 4 (Neatly folded into an expensive looking envelope)
    Show

R,
    First test successful. Extinguished, but practical theory stands. Any progress as to that riddle?
    -U

Spoiler: Letter 5 (Cheap envelope and paper with large careful handwriting)
    Show

Dear Ru-ru,
    Do write soon, mother misses you so. The farm is flourishing in your absess obsess abcess since you left. 2 more calves were born. We had to slaughter old Rumpy, he can’t get the energy to mount anymore, much the pity. How I miss your smoked meats, if only your other cooking had quite the skill. I hope you’ve got a cook for that inn of yours. Don’t know why you decided to start that. One day it was all, “I will explore the world and discover great things!” but then you just up and started an inn? You were always strange brother. Finn from down the road has caught my eye and yesterday he brought me a whole bundle of pretty leaves and flowers he picked. There was some of the rashleaf in there though, poor fool was to distracted to realize. I soaked up some clothes and sent him home. It’ll heal fine but I do think I shall have to stop in on him tomorrow.
    Love
    Ava

14. - Top - End - #134

"Seems this guy was getting orders from some guy called 'U'. U was experimenting, but they couldn't solve some riddle. This guy was supposed to try to solve it. Also some guy called 'N' retrieved a 'package'."

His tone lightens as he looks at the next letter. "Hah, guy tried to order a dummy's cookbook."

Then his face softens and darkens. "Damn. He had a little sister. Left them to go adventuring but ended up starting this hellhole."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    "I guess that's refreshingly direct," she says in regards to the handbag. The tengu turns back to the altar. "So what do you know about this weird elemental religion? Other than that its worshipers are creepy guys who like to bury people alive. I guess that's earth, so what's for the others? Drowning? Burning? Chucking them off cliffs?"
    Laurel shudders. "I really don't want to know. Maybe all at once?"

"Seems this guy was getting orders from some guy called 'U'. U was experimenting, but they couldn't solve some riddle. This guy was supposed to try to solve it. Also some guy called 'N' retrieved a 'package'."

His tone lightens as he looks at the next letter. "Hah, guy tried to order a dummy's cookbook."

Then his face softens and darkens. "Damn. He had a little sister. Left them to go adventuring but ended up starting this hellhole."
    Laurel's face brightens significantly. "A cookbook for dummies? Any sign of it?"

At the news about the innkeeper's family, she pats Terrach on the shoulder. "Everyone starts as an innocent little kid. He grew up and made his own decisions, became something else. Don't beat yourself up over someone else's mistakes. "
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2016-06-13 at 06:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Laurel's face brightens significantly. "A cookbook for dummies? Any sign of it?"
    "Nah, he never got it. Explains a lot."

At the news about the innkeeper's family, she pats Terrach on the shoulder. "Everyone starts as an innocent little kid. He grew up and made his own decisions, became something else. Don't beat yourself up over someone else's mistakes. "
    "Yeah. Well, he became an idiot. Or maybe just a fool." Terrach brushes her arm away, a little forcefully. "I don't give a cave scorpion's tail about his dumb choices. As long as they don't harm this girl."
    Last edited by SirCatBeard; 2016-06-13 at 07:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

As Zinnia prods under the altar she dislodges a backpack, which Laurel recognizes as the other half of her belongings. The contents looked untouched, as though the bag was set aside for later.
    Zinnia tosses the bag over her shoulder to Laurel without looking as she continues her search.

She shudders at the sheer thought of it. "So you got buried? And here I nearly said, 'just'. Hoo boy did we fly in it!"

Terrach read the contents of the letters carefully, noting that there seemed to be a few different hands.

Spoiler: Letters
    Show

Spoiler: Letter 1 (Neatly folded into an expensive looking envelope)
    Show

R,
    I regret to inform you that no information has been discovered regarding the riddle. Solve it if you can.
    -U

Spoiler: Letter 2 (Neatly folded into an expensive looking envelope)
    Show

R,
    N retrieved package. Extra baggage involved. Unable to examine further.
    -U

Spoiler: Letter 3 (Cheap paper in an envelope that was crumpled and straightened out)
    Show

Dear Mr. Rubem,
    I regret to inform you that the cookbook you ordered with the basic cooking lesson primer is unavailable.
    Regretfully,
    Brunes Book Emporium

Spoiler: Letter 4 (Neatly folded into an expensive looking envelope)
    Show

R,
    First test successful. Extinguished, but practical theory stands. Any progress as to that riddle?
    -U

Spoiler: Letter 5 (Cheap envelope and paper with large careful handwriting)
    Show

Dear Ru-ru,
    Do write soon, mother misses you so. The farm is flourishing in your absess obsess abcess since you left. 2 more calves were born. We had to slaughter old Rumpy, he can’t get the energy to mount anymore, much the pity. How I miss your smoked meats, if only your other cooking had quite the skill. I hope you’ve got a cook for that inn of yours. Don’t know why you decided to start that. One day it was all, “I will explore the world and discover great things!” but then you just up and started an inn? You were always strange brother. Finn from down the road has caught my eye and yesterday he brought me a whole bundle of pretty leaves and flowers he picked. There was some of the rashleaf in there though, poor fool was to distracted to realize. I soaked up some clothes and sent him home. It’ll heal fine but I do think I shall have to stop in on him tomorrow.
    Love
    Ava

"Nah, he never got it. Explains a lot."

"Yeah. Well, he became an idiot. Or maybe just a fool." Terrach brushes her arm away, a little forcefully. "I don't give a cave scorpion's tail about his dumb choices. As long as they don't harm this girl."
    "You think they know about her?" Zinnia folds her arms and leans back against the altar. "I mean what the hell is with this town that he decided to set up shop here? Seems to be a headquarters for this creepy elemental cult, or at least a popular hangout spot." She looks at the altar again. "I don't suppose they told you anything about riddles when you were in that box, did they?"

18. - Top - End - #138

That doesn't mean we can't regret our own actions. He remained silent on the matter though. In a way, she was right. After all, he had tried to talk them down.

"There must be something we haven't found in here yet. If he was supposed to be working on a riddle, presumably it would be somewhere where he could work on it easily, unless maybe he heard it and memorized it."

Show
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Zinnia tosses the bag over her shoulder to Laurel without looking as she continues her search.

"You think they know about her?" Zinnia folds her arms and leans back against the altar. "I mean what the hell is with this town that he decided to set up shop here? Seems to be a headquarters for this creepy elemental cult, or at least a popular hangout spot." She looks at the altar again. "I don't suppose they told you anything about riddles when you were in that box, did they?"
    Laurel catches the bag and shakes her head. "All I heard in the box was my own breathing. No riddles at all, unless you count that weird chanting when I got out."

Quote Originally Posted by Table Flipper View Post
    That doesn't mean we can't regret our own actions. He remained silent on the matter though. In a way, she was right. After all, he had tried to talk them down.

"There must be something we haven't found in here yet. If he was supposed to be working on a riddle, presumably it would be somewhere where he could work on it easily, unless maybe he heard it and memorized it."
    Laurel pulls a crossbow out of her bag and carefully examines it. "Well, did we check out near the outhouse? Either way, we should probably get going soon. They'll be coming after me and.... Well, let's just say people aren't particularly fond of strangers when their friends and family have been killed. She slides a bolt into place with a satisfying click.

"Speaking of which, we should probably head in the same direction for a while, at least until the next major city. I promise I don't bite. Or snore. Once I've had some rest, I could even be helpful."
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2016-06-15 at 10:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

The town is quiet and dark outside, no-one wants to try to bother you. As the group leaves the town they see the woods appear before them, dark, foreboding and very quiet. There is a small circle of stones and the muddied ashes of a long abandoned fire. It looks very familiar to Laurel.

Perception Checks

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Trust me, this is not a safe distance away," Laurel says, giving her old firepit a wide berth.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show

Perception Check: (1d20+2)[21]

22. - Top - End - #142

Freya stalks up to the circle of ashes and sniffs at it cautiously. Terrach follows, crouching to check the coals for any residual warmth.
    "Looks like this was someone's campsite. Doesn't seem like they've been here for a while, though." He stood up and let his eyes wander over the rest of the old campsite.

Show
    Terrach: (1d20+8)[15]
    Freya: (1d20+1)[3]

23. - Top - End - #143

Braxton looks around the campsite.

Spoiler: Pecreption
    Show
    (1d20+4)[20]

Show
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

24. - Top - End - #144

"Yeah, I'd rather not stick around," Zinnia says.

Show
    Perception: (d20+11)[15]

Sorry for the short post; I'm busy packing still.

25. - Top - End - #145

Everyone (except Freya) notices a small footpath leading into the woods, diagonal to the main road. It looks like it hasn't seen much foot traffic, at least in the past month.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Yeah, I'd rather not stick around," Zinnia says.

Show
    Perception: [roll0]

Sorry for the short post; I'm busy packing still.
    "What better way than taking the famous 'road less travelled'?" Laurel says, gesturing to the small trail. "A narrower path would mean fewer people chasing, in any case."

27. - Top - End - #147

"What better way than taking the famous 'road less travelled'?" Laurel says, gesturing to the small trail. "A narrower path would mean fewer people chasing, in any case."
    "What famous road is this? I've never heard of such a road." Terrach says, incredulously, then gestures to a particularly dense section of the woods. "Besides, seems to me like that would be the 'road less travelled'."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"What famous road is this? I've never heard of such a road." Terrach says, incredulously, then gestures to a particularly dense section of the woods. "Besides, seems to me like that would be the 'road less travelled'."
    "Well, you never hear about it. Then it would be well-traveled, don't you think? And the woods are no road at all, which sort of defeats the purpsose of roads in the first place." Laurel stops suddenly, just as she starts to drone a little bit. "But I don't think this is the time or the place to discuss religion."

29. - Top - End - #149

"Well, you never hear about it. Then it would be well-traveled, don't you think? And the woods are no road at all, which sort of defeats the purpsose of roads in the first place." Laurel stops suddenly, just as she starts to drone a little bit. "But I don't think this is the time or the place to discuss religion."
    "It can't be famous if you never hear about it." Terrach pauses, looking confused, and mutters to himself: "How in the world did you get from road names to religion." He kneels to stroke Freya once, then wanders to the beginning of this path, looking down it as far as he could, to where it bent in the undergrowth.
    He kneels and examines it more closely. Freya pads over to him and rubs against one leg. He scratches her chin absentmindedly. "Well, might be worth a look, someone made it a while ago with some purpose. Doesn't look like a game trail."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[COLOR=#33cc33]"
    He kneels and examines it more closely. Freya pads over to him and rubs against one leg. He scratches her chin absentmindedly. "Well, might be worth a look, someone made it a while ago with some purpose. Doesn't look like a game trail."
    Laurel nods. "Well, we don't have all the time in the world." She starts walking down the narrow trail, keeping the main road for a different day.