New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Evil is Too Mainstream IC

Violet pauses in her munching, to explain, her voice quite serious.
    "They don't mind, so long as their seeds get spread around! That's why they grow!"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

The pineapple is all gone by the time a middle-aged human woman in a red robe walks into the tavern. Bartholomew hails her over, and she sits down.

"You're the adventurers, I take it," she says, taking note of the group's backpacks and magic items. "My name is Maynath, and I'm here on behalf of the Lords of Enlightenment."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Will gives the woman a welcoming nod, as he moves from his slouch to a more professional posture. "You've got us pegged. A pleasure, Maynath. Let me run you through our merry little band." He begins gesturing at each as he names them. "The name's Will, this gentleman here goes by Bartholomew, his assistant by Jade, and our little periwinkle by Violet. Got a fifth who'll be workin' with us, but won't be able to join us here."

Will gives her a smile. "Now then. To business? Not to make you feel rushed, you understand; I just don't doubt you've got plenty else on your plate, being with the Lords. So, how can we help you?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, brass tacks," says Maynath. "It's about Lord Sain. As you may or may not know, Lord Kelim of House Sain is one of the most well-liked members of the council among the common folk because he's always advocating for social safety nets, income taxes, and other forms of wealth redistribution. His most recent crusade was against Witten Asylum. According to him, its owners are corrupt, its business practices are shady, its treatment of inmates is unethical, and its conditions are unacceptable. Up until a couple weeks ago, he was calling for a full investigation, with inspections and audits, the works."

"...But then he disappeared?" says Jade.

"Exactly," Maynath replies. "And without him pushing for it, his proposal to reform the asylum is unlikely to pass."

"Ah," says Bartholomew. "So you suspect he was taken by the asylum's management?"

"Who else benefits from his disappearance? Yes, we suspect them. But we have no proof of their involvement, and their lawyers are stonewalling all our attempts to start an official investigation. That's where you come in: you're the unofficial investigation."

5. - Top - End - #35

GreenSorcererElf

Violet drinks the last of her honeyed goat's milk, before she joins in.
    "But it could have been someone else too, just making it seem like it was the Asylum's fault! But... why would an Asylum have inmates? Aren't they there to help people?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #36

Will answers Violet, "T'hear them tell it, they'd probably say they keep people safe by lockin' other people up. Certainly don't sound upstanding. Probably worth pokin' our noses into."

He turns back to Maynath "But 'who else' is a pretty good question, too. Not exactly Mr. Politics over here, but I know that stuff gets muddy in a hurry. If someone's unusually popular with the common folk, he's usually unpopular with some of the uncommon folk, am I right?"

Will pauses and holds up his hands a moment with a wry smile. "Not that I'm levelin' accusations, o' course. Just seems best to check for thorns before headin' through a thicket."
    Last edited by Gaius; 2016-04-01 at 08:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

GreenSorcererElf

Violet frowns.
    "But you don't help people by locking them up! That's just silly!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #38

Will shrugs and chuckles without much mirth. "Welcome to the mortal realm."

9. - Top - End - #39

GreenSorcererElf

Violet just shakes her head. Being trapped was really not fun at all.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Maynath frowns. "I can't imagine any of the other Lords being behind this," she says. "They may have their disagreements, but they've always been civil in the past, even when Lord Sain pushed his most radical proposals. Why now? Why stop the investigation of Witten Asylum, specifically?"

"They could be playing a long game," says Bartholomew. "Off him now, throw suspicion on the asylum, and he won't be around to make any more radical proposals in the future."

"I don't know," says Maynath. "The thing is, the asylum's practices really have been very shady—I'm sure if you canvassed the neighborhood, you'd hear all sorts of horror stories from the people here. On the other hand, the Lords of Enlightenment tend to undermine their political rivals by building coalitions to vote against them, or blocking votes with filibusters. A couple have been accused of giving or taking bribes, but that's the worst of it, as far as I know. Disappearing people isn't their M.O."

11. - Top - End - #41

GreenSorcererElf

Violet smiles merrily.
    "We can go and look! It'll be interesting! Maybe... maybe someone can go in as an inmate? Then maybe he'll learn something! And the rest of us can look around, and see what we can find!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #42

"Hmm..." Will brings a hand to his chin. "Any of the Lords have a particular... connection to Witten Asylum? Rumors, even? Or -- much as I'm sure you'da brought it up -- any third-party hereabouts that'd be glad to see the Asylum as is or Lord Sain outta the picture?"

Ultimately, the former werewolf shrugs. "Anyway. Even if there are other things to check, the job you've got is scopin' out the asylum. Definitely somethin' rotten for us to sniff outta there." Will starts tracing his finger around the rim of his glass. "So, what should we know? Anything you had in mind for this investigation?"

As usual for a Violet suggestion, he smiles. "Well, Bartholomew's probably seen his share of stuff said to drive men mad." Following his half-joke, Will finds a related notion. "Hm. Don't suppose they'd be in the market for a new orderly?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

"Genius is often confused for madness," says Bartholomew. "Still, I prefer not to check into a madhouse."

"I'm afraid I can offer you very little information outside of what's freely available," admits Maynath. "Witten Asylum allows patients to check themselves in voluntarily, but they also pick up lunatics off the streets from time to time. Visiting hours are from 8 AM to 8 PM. The chief administrator is named Dr. Heraladus; he's been running the asylum for fifteen years or so now. I can't recall the name of the man who preceded him." She shrugs. "It may be worth your time to ask around and see what you could find out. As outsiders, people might be more willing to talk to you than to me or my superiors."

"Visiting hours are still open. Does that mean we could just walk in?" says Jade.

"Well, uhm..." Maynath coughs politely. "You're not exactly a...well, you know, a normal-looking, low-profile...humanoid team, are you? You might arouse suspicion."

"That's RACIST," says Bartholomew. "I'll have you know Hedratis is the most low-profile gelatinous cube I've ever met. And my wings are glorious, thank you very much."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Hedratis, at Bartholomew's words extends a gauntlet with a tendril of gelatin inside, and knocks on the roof above them - though not too loudly.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

A few heads turn up in the tavern--it's a tin roof, so even a quiet knock is audible. Jade flies to the roof to see if Hedratis needs anything.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, I was just trying to help Bartholomew's point." Hedratis says. "Though... I suppose knocking on a metal roof isn't the lowest profile thing to do."
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2016-04-02 at 01:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

"Okay, just knock again if you want me to pass anything on." says Jade. She sighs. "One of these days, we're going to have to find a way to properly integrate you into polite society. I hope the asylum's corridors are wide enough to fit a 10-foot cube of acid. We might need you in there."

Spoiler: Spoiler alert (OOC)
    Show
    They are wide enough, as a matter of fact. Plenty of space in case two gurneys need to pass each other.

18. - Top - End - #48

Will smiles a small smile at the knock from above, but he gives no other reaction. "We're after reconnaissance for now, yeah? No reason we've all got to try visiting hours." He points a thumb at his chest. "I certainly fit the bill for 'normal, low-profile, humanoid.'"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

"That's true," says Bartholomew. "You could case the asylum alone while we learn what we can from the townsfolk. Although in that case, I'd suggest bringing Jade with you--an extra pair of eyes and ears couldn't hurt, and it would be a good opportunity to field-test the latest prototype of my Dynamic Extradimensional Familiar Compression Device." He pulls a red-and-white orb from his pocket. You vaguely remember Bartholomew building this doodad about a week or two ago--it's supposed to serve as a safe, discreet hiding place for Jade.

20. - Top - End - #50

GreenSorcererElf

Violet looks sad.
    "It's not my fault that you're giants! And we can ask around! Lots of people like talking to me!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #51

Will nods to Bartholomew's suggestion of bringing Jade along. "Ya read my mind. Definitely best for one o' the little ones to come with." He gives a nod in her direction.

His brow briefly creases at the sight of the sphere. "Oh, right, that thing. Sure. So, how does it wor--?" Will cuts himself off. "I mean, how do I use it?" Content he's saved himself from accidentally inviting the warlock to give a long and detailed technical explanation, he reaches for the orb, feeling it out and looking it over. "Was... 'return' a command word? And you said somethin' about... I dunno, holdin' down and... bee...?" He looks around the device for a bit and then presses it gently against the table while making a soft buzzing sound at it.

Will gives Violet an absent nod. "They do at that. Knock 'em dead, Vi." He is primed and ready to throw in a casual, "'s an expression," if needed.
    Last edited by Gaius; 2016-04-02 at 12:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

GreenSorcererElf

Violet looks upset by Will's comment, and she shakes her head.
    "I wouldn't hurt anyone!"

After his explanation, she frowns again.
    "That's a really silly expression! It's really hard to talk to dead people!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"Currently, the command word only functions if it's spoken by either the familiar or the master," explains Bartholomew. "I'm still working on a way to enhance the reception of the thaumaturgic resonator without inadvertently widening the parameters to the point where it would respond to unauthorized input. Obviously, we couldn't have that! But until all the kinks are worked out, Jade can jump in and out on her own."

Maynath cuts in. "My disguise will wear off soon, so I can't stay much longer, but before I go, I have something you might want." She reaches into her pocket and retrieves a signet ring. "This ring shows the Sain family crest. Lord Kelim has a ring just like it. He also has the sigil tattooed on his left shoulder. So if you should find him, that's how you'll know him."

Bartholomew takes the ring from her. He concentrates for a moment to memorize the sigil (take 10 on Autohypnosis), then tosses it to Will.

24. - Top - End - #54

Will's eyes glaze over in the middle of Bartholomew's spiel, starting around, "thaumaturgic resonator." His attention at least drifts back in near the end. He at least understands that he really need do nothing but carry the thing around with him and leave it to Jade. He can do that. He can do that all day.

Setting the sphere on the table, Will nods to Maynath. "Got it, thanks. Should have what we need to get started, now." He catches the ring from Bartholomew and gives it a look (albeit less carefully than the ex-criminal genius) before he pockets it. "'fore you go, any way you want us to get back in touch?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't worry, I'll contact you," says Maynath, rising from her seat. She nods and sweeps out of the tavern.

26. - Top - End - #56

GreenSorcererElf

Violet listens to Bartholomew's explanation, but she just looks confused, as if he's speaking nonsense. Fortunately, before she needs to do something about that, the woman leaves, prompting Violet to wave goodbye before she turns back to address Bartholomew and Will.
    "Ok! Let's go and ask questions, and see if we can learn things!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #57

"That's the spirit," Will says to Violet, after waving Maynath out. "'less anyone's got anything else they wanna do, may as well get started. After 8, we all meet up at the..." He consults the map, "Madman Inn." While he's got it open, the brawler also looks for a couple of random addresses away from the asylum, just in case he needs a cover story.

Will gets up with Bartholomew's doodad, sets another gold piece near the barmaid with a flash of a smile, and heads for the door.
    Last edited by Gaius; 2016-04-03 at 01:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

GreenSorcererElf

Violet too cheerfully flits out, looking for people to talk to about the asylum, or other interesting things.

(1d20+20)[39] Gather info
    (1d4+1)[2]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #59

Will, meanwhile, gives a wave to the other group (and to Hedratis, if he spots the cube) and then heads off with Jade for the asylum. "So, first time with us workin' one-on-one, right? Lookin' forward to it. Anything you wanna chat over on the way?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Act 1, scene iii: In Which the Party Splits; or, The Part Where Gather Information Turns Out To Be a Useful Skill After All

This scene is about collecting intelligence so that you can get a better idea of how to move forward. At the asylum, that means getting a look around and seeing what you can learn without raising suspicions. Around town, that means chatting up the locals to see what they can tell you about the asylum.

Violet's Gather Information check modifier is very high. That half of the party should have no trouble getting people to talk—it's just a matter of asking the right questions and deciding which people to talk to and what order to talk to them in.

Will isn't a party face, but he should have enough tools at his disposal for what is hopefully nothing more than a simple discreet reconnaissance mission.

You are, of course, free to read both halves of the scene, and you can comment OOC on the half you're not in, if you like.

On their way to the asylum, Will and Jade talk over the cover story they're going to use, and come up with a plan in case anything goes wrong. (Both of them are Chaotic, so the plan boils down to "Wing it.") It's about ten minutes' walk to get there.

The asylum is a massive three-story brick building, 40 feet tall and built like a fortress, with a tall wrought-iron fence surrounding the grounds. Even in daylight, it looks pretty spooky, and faint anguished wailing can be heard from within. Will can only imagine how much spookier it would be at night.

Spoiler: In fact, THIS is how much spookier it would be.
    Show

But before the sun goes down, it still overlooks a busy street, with plenty of people bustling past the vendors hawking their wares on the sidewalks.

A pair of heavily armed guards stands at the gates, vigilantly observing the passersby. Two more guards are stationed at the asylum's doors. These men look a bit more competent than Norbert and Fred from the city watch.

Meanwhile, Bartholomew, Hedratis, and Violet set about interrogating the locals. The logical place to begin seems to be in the Blue Owl.

Tom, the drunken dwarf, is too hammered to be coherent. The human and the elf who were also at the bar have already left--together. Seems the flirting worked out. The cloaked stranger in the corner booth appears at first to be lurking quietly and observing the room from beneath his hood, until he emits a noisy snore--and, on closer inspection, he's actually fast asleep.

The gnome girls don't have much to offer. "Witten Asylum? Lawl, that place is TOTES creepy," says one. "Oh em gee, you are totally on point! If it could talk, I bet it would be like 'Blurghurghurgh, I'm an asylum, I have tons of crazy people inside me, BLARGHLE!' It's the worst!" says another. "You're one to talk, Gnatalie! You have crazy people inside you all the time!" counters the third. This sets all of them giggling uncontrollably, and they offer to let you join their drinking game. It's clear that would not be productive, so you move on.

It's the half-orc barmaid who provides the most information. (Hedratis might float down to the window to join the conversation.) "Yeah, I know a little about the asylum," she says. "We have a regular who claims to have escaped from there. Low-life rogue-ish type, goes by Kraaven."

"Not kraven...kraaAAaven," mumbles Tom.

"That's what I said, luv," says the barmaid. "As I was saying, this guy Kraaven, he said he found a secret way out of Witten, used it to escape. You know, he was one of the ones locked up there after the jail overflowed. Just a common thief, not a loony. Although I'll tell ya, he was a regular in here before they caught him, and I'd say he was crazier after he came out. He mostly keeps a low profile, but he sometimes shows up here. If he does, you want I should tell him you asked about him?"

"Sure," says Bartholomew, tipping the barmaid a gold coin. "Sounds like he might have some interesting things to say."

"Cheers, then," she says. "Can't say I know much beyond that, but you might try asking around the Barred Blade. Or maybe talk to Daniel over at Angel Armory—I think he has a brother or a cousin or something who's an inmate there."
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-04-04 at 05:18 AM.