New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default [Spoiler] Erfworld: Long Term Predictions for Parson

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, here's my ideas about what's going to happen with Parson, etc...

1) Parson wins the battle of Gobwin Knob (of course).

2) Parson somehow gets sent back to the 'real' world and has to deal with the shock of going from no-name-smuck to chief-warlord to no-name-smuck again.

3) Parson gets called back to Erfworld, but this time by Ansom and company (so even though he's recognized as a good warlord, everyone on "his" side still hates/disrespects him.

4) Some of Parson's friends or net-nemisises get called into Erfworld too, and he has to match wits against an opponent who is his peer/superior in battle.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: [Spoiler] Erfworld: Long Term Predictions for Parson

1. i agree with
    2.-4. i disagree Parson has no reason to want to go back and he will not end up getting forcefully disbanded...
    By the way you do not need spoiler tags in a spoiler thread.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oooo! A true use of spoiler tags! No Giants allowed! Yeah, 3 words'll stop 'im!
    ANYway, my WAG:

Spoiler
    Show
    Parson wins... mostly. Manages to dispose of Stanly, gain control of ArkenHammerTime! But it's not tuned to Parson! Owe knows! Loss of dra- er, dwagons! BUT! Stanley gone, and so Ansom and co., thoroughly disenhearted and discouraged and quite beaten up, go home. Parson slowly builds Hamsterlund, other grand poobahs summon uber warlords (Parson's friends) for help. Hilarity ensues.

If I nail this, I'm going to Vegas... if I save my loose change for the time it takes to find out, ...I won't need to go to Vegas. *sigh* RIP, Return to Sender, Strings of Fate, Blastwave (almost), Outsider (almost), etc, etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

in b4 "parson owns ZOMG"

however,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Parson wins, ansom get help and get to use the arkenpliers...somehow...then huge epic battle 1-vs-1 and parson also get some action goin in battle himself.
    after that, he get the arkenpliers and he begins to fight vs stanley...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    You're kidding, right? This is the comic where one of the main characters worships his own hand puppet

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pudgimelon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, here's my ideas about what's going to happen with Parson, etc...

1) Parson wins the battle of Gobwin Knob (of course).

2) Parson somehow gets sent back to the 'real' world and has to deal with the shock of going from no-name-smuck to chief-warlord to no-name-smuck again.

3) Parson gets called back to Erfworld, but this time by Ansom and company (so even though he's recognized as a good warlord, everyone on "his" side still hates/disrespects him.

4) Some of Parson's friends or net-nemisises get called into Erfworld too, and he has to match wits against an opponent who is his peer/superior in battle.
    I really hope not!!!!
    This is exactly my beef with a lot of US comic books.
    Person A has a talent of some sort => A has to face a certain challenge B (person, situation, ...) => A overcomes B.

Until now everything is fine. This is what a lot of stories are about. But then...
    Suddenly A has to overcome C which is an even bigger chalenge than B => A rises to the challenge when D immerges => ...
    Awesome Delirium-avatar by Recaiden
    Looking for friendly contact with an evil outsider in the fanclub

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I really hope not!!!!
    This is exactly my beef with a lot of US comic books.
    Person A has a talent of some sort => A has to face a certain challenge B (person, situation, ...) => A overcomes B.

Until now everything is fine. This is what a lot of stories are about. But then...
    Suddenly A has to overcome C which is an even bigger chalenge than B => A rises to the challenge when D immerges => ...
    The old escalation complex... it works if there is a diffinitive time lapse during second and latter arcs but when its spontaneus improvement it kinda gets lame...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I could see the escalation working if once GK throws off the siege, Stanley and Parson then turn their attention to getting the other Arkentools. Perhaps the long-term story arc will be about the total subjugation of Erfworld by Stanley the tool.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I think the next arc will be
    Spoiler
    Show
    Parson/Hamster commanding a resource grab so that Stanley can pay those 1000 schmuckers/turn for a bit longer. No real escalation, just a different challenge than the one that Parson/Hamster was summoned for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I suspect that...

1: Parson will win at Gobwin Knob. A total victory is almost necessary. There is a possibility that the city is destroyed, but Ansom is defeated and Stanly's goal is accomplished. Parson will not be unsummoned. He's bound to Stanley forever, or at least till Stanley dies.

2: Ansom gets croaked, or defeated, and Stanley gets the ArkenPliers. He ends up being unable to become attuned to the Pliers as he is to the ArkenHammer. I think the ArkenTools are anthropomorphized. They have a sort of personality, and affinity for some particular school of magic. The ArkenHammer has control over dwagons, and Stanley has a sort of draconic personality type (megalomania, greed, power hungry, pride, demeaning to others). His personality type won't be appropreate for the Pliers.

3: Wanda ends up getting attuned to the ArkenPliers. This will probably happen on accident. There will be some kind of spell or ritual to attune Stanley to the Pliers, and Wanda is casting the spell and gets attuned instead. Naturally Stanley will be pissed. But it will be a natural consequence of Wanda's interest and affinity for Croakomancy (and the pliers appear to have some power over uncroaked). Conflict ensues.

4: Some of the main characters from the "other" side will survive. Perhaps Ansom, probably Jillian, probably Webinar (but not Dora), probably Vinny.

I won't predict how any of this conflict will be resolved, but I'm fairly sure that it will be a major theme in Part 2 that Wanda has the ArkenPliers and Stanley has the ArkenHammer and some kind conflict between them with Parson, Jillian and others getting embroiled in the mix to resolve that conflict.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    The old escalation complex... it works if there is a diffinitive time lapse during second and latter arcs but when its spontaneus improvement it kinda gets lame...
    I wasn't thinking in terms of esculation, in fact, I was thinking the opposite.

My line of thought was that Parson's adventure in Erfworld would be more akin to something like what Thomas Covenant experienced, except that Parson seems to be a perfectly willing participant in the "delusion".

One of the things that made Covenant such a good anti-hero/hero was that you could really sympathize with the guy's plight. If he gave into the delusion (and accepted everyone's assertion that he was some sort of worth-dying-for, really important and central-protagonist, second-coming Messiah), then the "real world" (where he was a leperous outcast) would become unbearable once he returned to it.

One of the flaws in many fantasy stories is that someone can go from being a no-name Kinko's-working loser (and I used to work at Kinko's so I know what a soul-sucking abyss that place is), to being chief warlord in a world-spanning clash in a completely alternate reality without any sort of culture-shock or personal identity consequences.

What happens to Parson when he returns to his pathetic "war-gaming-in-Mom's-basement" existence? That would be interesting to see. How would he deal with the system-shock?

And then once he got thrust back into Erfworld, I thought it'd be interesting to see him on the other side of the table, dealing with the people who had to suffer the REAL consequences of his "victory" in their "game" (Webinar or Dora come to mind).

Right now, Parson seems to be having a lot of fun. But what happens if circumstances force him to switch sides? (and the only way I see that happening is if he's somehow sent back and returned). Would he find the "game world" as "cute and precious" when he finds out that his cheesy rules-loop-hole-finding tactics actually KILLED REAL PEOPLE?

Just some interesting points to ponder....

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

@ SauroGrenom
    I would like that story for chapter 2. Maybe some more intrigue although that's doubtful as nothing has been set up so far for that in this chapter. only Wanda and possibly Jullian may have a personal agenda. Vinny would be a great character for some intrigue but his actions and attitude towards Ansome so far have ruled a possible double-crossing out.
    You may be on the right track with those Arkenpliers.

@ Pudgimelon
    Parson realising his responsibility in the carnage that was the siege of GK would be a great story twist. As long as it isn't an excuse for a lets-put-things-right-by-working-for-the-other-side reasoning. Parson staging a coup on the other hand would IMHO be interesting and be poetic justice for Stanley.
    Oh, and Parson having to face a better opponent after defeating Ansom IS using escalation.
    Awesome Delirium-avatar by Recaiden
    Looking for friendly contact with an evil outsider in the fanclub

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pudgimelon View Post
    My line of thought was that Parson's adventure in Erfworld would be more akin to something like what Thomas Covenant experienced, except that Parson seems to be a perfectly willing participant in the "delusion".
    Which is why I hated Covenant. He was such a complainer in both worlds. I suspect this is why people like Parson because despite his "real world" faults, he's got a spine of sorts.

One of the things that made Covenant such a good anti-hero/hero was that you could really sympathize with the guy's plight.
    I couldn't sypathize with Convenant. He just would not accept either world until very late in the story though in the new world that he was in people were literally dying for him.

And that's the thing. Sure Parson's "plight" makes us sympahetic to him. We want the anti-hero to win. But we as readers must also sympathize with the conflict in Erfworld and with the situation in Parson's real world as well. That is, for Parson (like Covenant) to grow, he must come to feel for Erfworld and so must we as readers. We have to want what's best for Erfworld (which is that Stanley must not win) as well as what's best for Parson (that Parson win).

One of the flaws in many fantasy stories is that someone can go from being a no-name Kinko's-working loser (and I used to work at Kinko's so I know what a soul-sucking abyss that place is), to being chief warlord in a world-spanning clash in a completely alternate reality without any sort of culture-shock or personal identity consequences.
    It's not a flaw. It's a design. These off-worlder, anti-hero stories are supposed to feed of our own desire to be the anti-hero. You complain about the culture-shock and/or personality consequences (both of which we see here) yet you suspend belief that there is another, game-like world in which cutesified mythical creatures battle while speaking a funny, English-like Language.

[QUOTE]
    What happens to Parson when he returns to his pathetic "war-gaming-in-Mom's-basement" existence? That would be interesting to see. How would he deal with the system-shock?
    [QUOTE]

(Like with Covenant) Parson has the same problem in both worlds. That is, there is the culture shock. Parson (and Covenant in his books) is at the start (as we are now in this story), the same in both words because the story arc has not brough his character to fruition.

In his real world, Parson is a master gamer who does not care about his world. In Erfworld, Parson is once again, the master gamer who does not care about Erfworld. The difference is that now, Parson's game actions will have "real" consequences in Erfworld and thus the main character conflict is set up. The main conflict is not what does Parson due upon his return to his world. We know what he should do. He should get a life! The main conflict for Parson is how to win the game but save Erfworld. That is, Parson has to learn to care about Erfworld not just the game.

And then once he got thrust back into Erfworld, I thought it'd be interesting to see him on the other side of the table, dealing with the people who had to suffer the REAL consequences of his "victory" in their "game" (Webinar or Dora come to mind).
    That would make Parson just too thick for me. If he can't see what's going on around him - war, croaking, torture, etc. - until after it's all too painfully obvious then he looses my sympathy as anti-hero. Fortunately, Parson has already shown that he can care (by his treatement of Bogroll, Misty and the Dirtomancer) and that he sees Tool for what he is.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

That last bit seems like it might be likely...Jillian does know of the uberspell, if it was part of an erased memory there is probably some way for her to remember...what better way to fight against such a warlord than to get one of your own. One of his friends surly knows him well enough to fight him relatively evenly or possibly even best him...at the least they will be familiar with his tactics and the way he thinks.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

What makes you all think there's gonna BE a second arc, or chapter or whatever? The comic is called " Erfworld - The battle for Gobwin Knob". Once said battle is over, the story could very well be over. I mean, its possible, maybe even likely that enough positive reception will cause a second arc/storyline or whatever to be produced...but I always considered this to just be one really long single comic.
    The Gods work in mysterious ways. Like a healing shiv.

Thog kill. Thog like puppies. Thog full of amusing contradictions.

Proud member of NO FREAKING FANCLUBS

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm pretty sure the creators of the comic actually SAID that "The Battle for Gobwin Knob" is just the first part of the story, and that more will follow afterward.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm pretty sure the creators of the comic actually SAID that "The Battle for Gobwin Knob" is just the first part of the story, and that more will follow afterward.
    Actually they said there might be more depending on how the book sells...

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist_Cleric View Post
    What makes you all think there's gonna BE a second arc, or chapter or whatever? The comic is called " Erfworld - The battle for Gobwin Knob". Once said battle is over, the story could very well be over. I mean, its possible, maybe even likely that enough positive reception will cause a second arc/storyline or whatever to be produced...but I always considered this to just be one really long single comic.
    page1, 1st panel says:
    ERFWORLD
    PART1: The Battle for Gobwin Knob

It looks like it was intended to have more than just the battle.
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Anybody Remember that nice group shot with Parson's gaming buddies right before the big "PLOT"? No one has a theory involving them?

While the odds are long, I'd love to see Parson take one his old buddies. I mean, think about it; If Ansom learns what Stanley pulled and how he got a perfect warlord in Parson, I think it would be a blast for Ansom to cast the same spell to pull one of his buddies from the real world as a counter. In short, someone who knows Parson, and would look at the current board and know enough about Parson to say. “Hmm…trap.”

In short, I agree with Fuzzy_Juan.

Of course, this probably wont happen if it is the illusion Parson suspects.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Rob has said that it's his intention and desire to tell more Erfworld stories, but ultimately it depends on fan reaction and demand.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
    Anybody Remember that nice group shot with Parson's gaming buddies right before the big "PLOT"? No one has a theory involving them?
    Yes, actually. The question has been asked (and apparently answered): "What about Parsons friends?"

Please don't be like those people. I would like for actual spoilers (from the author!) to be like Vegas: what happens in spoiler tags, stays in spoiler tags. If your reaction to a genuine spoiler might give it away then please spoilerize your reaction! because I like being surprised.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-06-22 at 09:50 AM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    Yes, actually. The question has been asked (and apparently answered): "What about Parsons friends?"
    Thanks for the info, Scientivore. It’s good to see some confirmation to my crazy predictions about things, if just to know I’m only partially off my rocker, instead of fully off my rocker, off the porch, and into the gutter. :)

Please don't be like those people. I would like for actual spoilers (from the author!) to be like Vegas: what happens in spoiler tags, stays in spoiler tags. If your reaction to a genuine spoiler might give it away then please spoilerize your reaction! because I like being surprised.
    I sympathize; I enjoy surprises too. That being said this is my…5th post here? I think that’s right. In fact, you read my first, and replied in good fun:

This thread drove me to join your forums. That’s right, it’s YOUR fault! (points finger menacingly at all previous posters.)
    Excellent. *steeples fingers* My plan proceeds apace.
    I mean, welcome!
    I honestly wasn’t aware of the spoiler in the previous thread when I made those comments. (Which, now that I think about it, is further evidence that I’m still back on the porch. YEA ME!) All in all, I guess to be safe I should lay off of the predictions until I have the spoiler tag formats figured out.

Sorry to cause a problem.

22. - Top - End - #22

I honestly wasn’t aware of the spoiler in the previous thread when I made those comments. (Which, now that I think about it, is further evidence that I’m still back on the porch. YEA ME!) All in all, I guess to be safe I should lay off of the predictions until I have the spoiler tag formats figured out.

Sorry to cause a problem.
    You didn't! I was talking about the other thread. You were just speculating.

The way to hide text when you want to is by
    HTML Code:
    [spoiler]putting it inside "spoiler" tags, like this.[/spoiler]
    It might not be clear but those are square brackets.

Also, the way to show models of tags or other vBCode (like I did there) is by putting them inside "html" tags instead of "spoiler" tags. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for showing a model of the html tags themselves.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-06-22 at 07:51 PM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SauroGrenom View Post
    I suspect that...

3: Wanda ends up getting attuned to the ArkenPliers. This will probably happen on accident. There will be some kind of spell or ritual to attune Stanley to the Pliers, and Wanda is casting the spell and gets attuned instead. Naturally Stanley will be pissed. But it will be a natural consequence of Wanda's interest and affinity for Croakomancy (and the pliers appear to have some power over uncroaked). Conflict ensues.
    not going to happen. if you looked in the earlier comic talking about them, he says 'i know of no-one who is' then it zooms in close to parson and says 'no-one' and of course you know parson is refered to as 'no-one' by wanda when she suggesting a new warlord, and he apparently does not fit into the world, and is technically no-one in a statistics level.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

neat...I didn't know that the author had chimed in on that theory...cool...

My guess on their reaction...

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that Ansom and co. will summon on eof them, hell, maybe parts of the alliance will summon not just one, but all of them...thinking outside the box would be necessary...They would likely know that Parson had been thinking of exactly that scenario for months, and had even planned their own strategy.

They would likely think that to match wits with Parson when he had planned for every contingency would be stupid. But they would also know that he couldn't resist being bold and waging an offensive war. In that, they could trap him. Operating away from his main fortress and in the open with long supply lines they could stage their own battles on their terms and not his.

The first thing they would do would be to split up the column into several independant fighting forces and disperse some. They might even break their alligences as a screen to be able to move on different turns and to create confusion in Gobwin Knob...

All I can really say though...is that it will be interesting

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't like the way this thread is going. There's speculation, and then there's fan-fiction; this is beginning to look too much like the latter. As I am severely allergic to fan-fiction (I break out in hives when exposed), I guess I will just stop reading this thread.

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm not sure I see a happy end for Parson. I'm not talking about winning or losing the battle. I have no idea how that could go. But he's a pretty disturbed guy and filled with self loathing. A lot of his problems haven't gone away just because he's in a fantasy world.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a theory, all right. Since they've claimed Parson's dice, he'll never be able to return to his former world. You just can't mess with a gamer's dice. It has cross-dimensional consequences.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Parson's calling Stanley "tool' right from the beginning is a whole far-reaching scheme. By constantly calling him a term that is known to us as derogatory, he is becoming free of his bondage because he does not show respect that is appropriate to a master. Parson gets free, goes home, makes millions with Erfworld game idea.
    "Four exclamation points; the true sign of a Mad Man." -Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Long Term Predictions:

If Parson wins the Battle for Gobwin Knob, the campaign to collect the remaining ArkenTools begins.

If Parson loses the Battle for Gobwin Knob, he gets whisked home.
    (There is such a thing as a no-win scenario.)

The important thing to determine would be if Parson is indeed what might be a "franchise character," or if chapters of Erfworld revolve around different groups of characters (like episodes of the Twilight Zone, which I think is an excellent comparison).

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show

Possibility: Parson cannot be sent back by his toolship. If I ran the magic kingdom I'd charge extra for a spell that reversed the original spell. Parson will be displeased by this, if true.

Possibility 2: I expect that at some point his toolship will get angry and disband Parson. I wonder if it will have the intended effect. It could be that it destroys him, it could be that it sends him home, or perhaps something more sinister could happen, like simply unbinding Parson from Stanley's control?