1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What's on the Shelf: 1001 Essays, Treatises, and Books on Magic

916 - Papers and Paychecks - Player's Handbook
    917 - Papers and Paychecks - Supervisor's Guide
    918 - Papers and Paychecks - Coworker Compendium 1
    919 - Papers and Paychecks - Coworker Compendium 2
    920 - Papers and Paychecks - Coworker Compendium 3
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2017-04-16 at 03:10 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

921. Instructions for the Creation of Golden Snitches, Bludgers, and Quaffles.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

922: Violins and Bows: A Bard's Primer on Archery. A treatise on archery co-written by several members of the College of Valor. Includes lessons on useful spells, tactics, rapid-reloading techniques for crossbows, close-quarters combat, targeting weak points in opponents' defenses, and long-range accuracy. And at least one horrible pun.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-04-16 at 06:04 PM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

4. - Top - End - #244

923 - Army Book [Owner's Race/Faction]

On the above, when players in my DH games inspect bookshelves, they inevitably can find a copy of the owner's codex on a failed roll. The Deathwatch have Codex: Deathwatch amidst their ship's library, and the Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord has a copy of Codex: Daemonhunters and Codex: Grey Knights [and inevitably her collection of the associated miniatures somewhere]. It's good for a laugh once or twice, as long as nobody thinks about it too much.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2017-04-17 at 01:14 AM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

924. A spellbook -- of Cantrips.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

925. A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Celestial numeral 1 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It contains 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, wreathed in warnings both cryptic and overt.
    926. A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Draconic numeral 2 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It contains 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, with helpful margin-notes from a friendly Outsider.
    927. A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Fiendish numeral 3 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It contains 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, but the book is empty past that entry, which is only half-way through it.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    925. A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Celestial numeral 1 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It contains 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, wreathed in warnings both cryptic and overt.
    926. A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Draconic numeral 2 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It contains 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, with helpful margin-notes from a friendly Outsider.
    927. A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Fiendish numeral 3 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It contains 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, but the book is empty past that entry, which is only half-way through it.
    macguffin alert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

The surprise is that each of them belongs to a different mag guffin collection and that getting those three books do nothing.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

928: Hollow Victory, by Baron Ignatius Ironhand. The autobiographical, existential lament of a once-zealous conquerer who ultimately found no fulfillment or meaning in his military triumphs or in lordship, and came to regret the senseless bloodshed. The Baron left the original manuscript for this book behind when he suddenly abdicated his throne and vanished from the pages of history, presumably dying in obscurity. The book purportedly holds clues to the location of the enchanted mace the Baron once wielded. Rumors of treasure aside, the book does contain useful firsthand accounts of both employing and countering wizards, clerics, and alchemists in large-unit tactics and logistical capacities.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-04-18 at 01:06 PM.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    macguffin alert.
    It's a Gravity Falls reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But you, as DM, have to be prepared for the PCs to do something stupid and self-destructive, because they will. They can't help it. They're like adorable homicidal children with pennies near a light socket, except that the pennies are chainsaws and the light socket is your plot. Also, the chainsaws are on fire.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah. So my youngest daughter would definitely get it.

Segev, that last volume is kind of oddly worded. How about this instead:
    0927: A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Fiendish numeral 3 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It claims to contain 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, but the book ends halfway through the description, leaving the last half of the book blank (only contains 1/6th of the ritual).
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-04-19 at 08:19 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Ah. So my youngest daughter would definitely get it.

Segev, that last volume is kind of oddly worded. How about this instead:
    0927: A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Fiendish numeral 3 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It claims to contain 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, but the book ends halfway through the description, leaving the last half of the book blank (only contains 1/6th of the ritual).
    If you like, but the way I was framing it, it had the full 1/3 of the ritual. Between the three books, the ritual (if they're for the same ritual, after all) is doable. And after that third book's part-of-a-ritual is written, the book was apparently never written in again.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay. I misunderstood, then. I'll fix it. How about this:
    927: A journal written in cipher and hidden inks with the Fiendish numeral 3 on the cover, inscribed in the palm of a six-fingered hand. It contains 1/3 of a ritual for an unknown purpose, but after detailing the ritual, the journal ends, leaving half the book blank.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-04-19 at 03:34 PM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

14. - Top - End - #254

That works!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

929: I Seem to Be Having Tremdous Difficulty With My Lifestyle: Twenty-Eight Times a Poorly Translated Turn of Phrase Has Started Yet Another War

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

16. - Top - End - #256

930: Literally Die Laughing: A Lichdom Procedure Involving Ritual Comedy

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    929: I Seem to Be Having Tremdous Difficulty With My Lifestyle: Twenty-Eight Times a Poorly Translated Turn of Phrase Has Started Yet Another War
    931: Terrible Miscalculations of Scale—how mighty armies have fallen due to failure to research the relative size of local life-forms before invading
    Show

Gnomish proverb

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    931: Terrible Miscalculations of Scale—how mighty armies have fallen due to failure to research the relative size of local life-forms before invading
    932: We must build.... what?!?!? Mundane and magical fortifications against Colossal besiegers
    Last edited by MrNobody; 2017-04-21 at 02:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259

From other peoples' Dwarf Fortress games [I tend to have FUN before my dorfs write any books]:

933 - A Beginner's Guide to Breathing
    934 - Mastering Breathing
    935 - Breathing, My Only Mistake

936 - Errors in Combustion

937 - Annihilation for Everyone!

938 - Quihu Murderyell: A Brief History: A 18 page essay concerning the human necromancer Quihu Murderyell, authored by Quihu Murderyell
    939 - Better Book: A 45 page guide authored by Quihu Murderyell, concerning the essay Quihu Murderyell: A Brief History.

940 - Can the Hills Save the World?

941 - Books: Fact or Fiction?

942 - Sleep, Abridged, for the Beginning Practitioner

943 - An Offering to Pulleys
    944 - A Wizard's Guide to Pulleys
    945 - The Lever and Other Travesties
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2017-04-21 at 03:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260

946 - Overcoming That Dreadful Oxygen Addiction by the Elemental Heir

21. - Top - End - #261
    Firbolg in the Playground

947.) Anatomical Similarities of the Beholder and Potato
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

948. Beholder War Anatomy: An Examination of the Minuscule Anatomical Differences Distinguishing the Five Beholder Clans (and how it could save your life!)

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

949. Like, he's right behind you! The Importance of Comedy Relief In Any Adventuring Party.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

950. Fifty Hues of Gray: The Importance of Color Choice for Races with Darkvision
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

951: (unnamed tablet)
    This is not a book per se, but rather a stone tablet containing the same inscription in three different languages. The inscription seems to be a recipe for a cake, containing, among other things, measurement units you have never heard of. One of the "translations" has instructions clearly scaled for creatures of a different size category (eg tablespoons instead of gallons, etc).

952: The Lost Evangelium
    This books retells a widely known religious text from a different perspective and appears to date at the same time as the earliest known source, if not predate it outright. While it reveals nothing new, content-wise, it would surely be of great interest to a scholar.
    Last edited by LokiRagnarok; 2017-06-08 at 11:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

953. Shifters cook book : guide to tastier fights
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

27. - Top - End - #267

954.) The Vampire's Guide to Seduction
    955.) Fey, Dragons, and Transformational Curses
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-06-11 at 11:07 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    954.) The Vampire's Guide to Seduction
    I like to read this one.

29. - Top - End - #269

956.) The Gospel According to Minsc
    957.) The Gospel According to Jan Jansen
    958.) The Acts of the Bhaalspawn
    959.) The Revelation of Jon Irenicus

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

0960: Displacer Beast and Cockatrice: The Benefits and Drawbacks of Monstrous Guard Animals

Just 41 more to go to reach 1001!