New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Reassembly II: Creatures of Light and Darkseid (M&M 3e)

~All right. Five Weapons, four of us - I say we pick a target and gang up on them until they're down. Squaring off for a bunch of one-on-ones gets us beat up.~

Sarah tried to see what she could recall about the Immortal Weapons.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Well Informed, roll 1: (1d20+20)[24], roll 2: (1d20+20)[32], roll 3: (1d20+20)[28], roll 4: (1d20+20)[40], roll 5: (1d20+20)[25]. I don't know the names of the Weapons, so it's just dice rolls.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

~"Then why didn't White Cobra just do what she did at Troy and find the Doomlock before running off gung-ho?"~ Zach asks, not bothering to keep White Cobra out of the loop. ~"I've got no way to find it myself, so that's on you guys--lookin' at you too, Saturn. I'll try to get a bead on them and fire when I can."~

Reaching into the well of power within him, he finds it is almost easier than before. Perhaps the power is molding itself to him now; or maybe he's just getting more used to wielding it after its sudden appearance. Either way, he tries to fly forward and get closer to where they said the Weapons are. He looks at the snow-covered mountains and cringes--even he can tell that a loud guitar is not the best soundtrack in this place. So he focuses on one of the Weapons, or at least where the others told him they are, as lightning gathers around him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unreliable check for Flight of Blaze of Glory: (1d20+5)[19]
    Taking Aim for +5 for next ranged attack against a random Weapon.

HP: 1
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Deliberations on the mount
    Spells cast, knowlege sought, aim taken
    A Cobra leaps to the pass floor
    And calls for another serpent
    Chi sparks like a bright bonfire
    A light to be seen in the dark
    Disturbance in the wind's currents
    River Cobra stands behind her

"You've something that belongs to me;
    Just as the Lost Cobra warned us
    Thieves of chi from another time
    Who would let the Horde run rampant
    Let your allies be revealed
    I know there to be five of you;
    Let us fight in open combat
    And not skulk in shadows like thieves"

As she speaks, White Cobra senses
    The four others change their movements
    Like scared fish in disturbed waters;
    The flowing weapon glides outward
    The walkers stop and stand ready
    But the flier continues on
    As she knows their place, they know hers
    And ready themselves for battle!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Katie called her Helping Hand beneath her, flying down to land beside Amanda, facing River Cobra. "Or," she suggested, "We could just, you know, not fight, because we're not enemies. You've been lied to, deceived by an evil man who would use the Immortal Weapons as his pawns. We're not thieves of chi, or anything of the sort, and while we are from another time, we're here only to protect our own history, and to see to it that in the new timeline that our presence creates, as few people as possible are brought to harm."

"I know little of the Immortal Weapons as a whole, in my time or this one, but I know that White Cobra is the most insightful woman I've ever met. I would put my trust in her judgment of anyone, so as her predecessor, I am going to afford you the same respect. Judge me, and tell me if you believe I speak untruly. And then consider if you can with confidence say the same of the person who warned you of us."
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Amanda exhaled as River Cobra spoke. Of course, Teth-Cobra would have lied to the Immortal Weapons of this time. It would be the most logical turn of events, and meant that he was elsewhere, doing whatever else Kang had sent him here to do.

"River Cobra, I presume," Amanda says, teleporting fifteen feet or so away from her predecessor, and turning back to face her.

"I doubt I can convince you that you have been decieved with words, so I will let my actions speak for themselves. I was trained by Iron-Crutch Khan, and I fought Xiang Yao with nothing more than my wits and my strength. If I am, after all, a thief, then I would stand no chance against a proper Immortal Weapon."

Amanda flourishes her spear, settling in a stance that River Cobra would, without a doubt, recognize from years of training in Peng Lai.

"River Cobra, I challenge you to single combat. No interference from either of your allies, and no interference from any of mine."

~Katie, stay out of this,~ Amanda voiced over their mental link. ~The Immortal Weapons don't take violations of these rules lightly.~

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

~How good are they at noticing interference? Specifically high-tech interference? I'm pretty sure I could sneak something past them.~

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Snowfall in a deserted pass
    The wind and lightning, spectators
    A smile from the River Cobra
    "White Cobra, you name yourself? Ha!
    A bold name for a bold woman
    And fitting to yourself besides:
    I see you ringed by Westerners
    And you've a bit of their blood too"

As she readies herself to fight
    She glances at Katie and sneers
    "I am no mind-reader, magus
    Nor need I be, your deeds suffice;
    You would stand between my comrades
    And the horde of barbarians
    Led by the savage Khan himself;
    These are the actions of my foes"

Lightning crackles along her frame
    Unlike that which now cleaves the sky;
    Bright yellow and red, like the Flash
    Or that which was feigned by Rel'Kor
    While he took on the guise of Zoom
    With a voice distorted, she calls:
    "Comrades! I have just been challenged;
    Ensure that no one interferes!"

As River Cobra speaks her piece
    The Weapons reveal themselves;
    The swordsman, Dog Brother, stands firm
    And guards the middle of the pass
    Tiger's Beautiful Daughter sits
    Eyes sweeping along the cliff heights
    Young Iron Fist leaps high upwards
    And lands near the Misfits' ledge

Above them all, the flier shows;
    A wisp of a thing in gray robes
    Tossed upon the winds like old rags
    Yet billowing like a stormcloud
    And on the cliffside opposite
    The Bride of Nine Spiders appears
    Emerging from her crawling cloud
    With an unearthly soft giggle

Six Immortal Weapons appear;
    Where is the seventh warrior?
    Where does the Prince of Orphans hide?
    For surely Teth-Cobra's appeal
    Would not exclude great Z'Gambo
    Home to that mighty warrior!
    Where, likewise, is foul Teth-Cobra?
    Where is the real enemy?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Katie bit down her frustration. Sometimes, good people fought other good people for what they believed were good reasons. They would just have to make due with the hand they were dealt.

Part of Katie hated this whole honor thing. Katie considered herself a good person, and sure, in the general sense of daily life, she obeyed the law and played by the rules. But when lives were on the line...well, fair fights were for corpses. Every time Fred or Amanda forewent an advantage, or refused assistance, out of devotion to their codes, Katie wanted to scream.

But in this case...she had to admit, it gave them a certain advantage. Not quite as good as if they could have settled the matter peacefully, of course, but a one on one fight was technically more to their advantage than six on five - or eight on five, perhaps.

And more importantly, if she could trust the honor of the Immortal Weapons, it meant Amanda wouldn't need them all there to watch her back.

~Okay. Sarah, I think you and I should go take out the Doomlock. That has to remain our top priority. I don't like the idea of leaving Amanda here alone though.~

She flew back up to Fred, landing beside him, though facing the opposite direction. ~I think it's best that you stay here, yeah? In case they don't honor the challenge, so Amanda's not alone. If something happens, warn me through Shared Awareness, or just ping me if it's down, and Sarah can teleport us back. Until we get here...~ she tapped him with her wand, charging his fey magic with her own. ~Just keep the both of you alive. I'll grab a mirror from my shirt. If Sarah and I get into trouble, I'll let you know with Shared Awareness, and you can mirrorport you guys to us. That sound okay to everyone?~

'Course, even if it did, that left the question of Zach. On the one hand...even with Shared Awareness, and teleports, and buffs, and blessings, Katie really didn't like Fred and Amanda's odds if the Immortal Weapons attacked them en masse. If Zach stayed here, it would be one more bit of insurance against betrayal.

On the other hand...the Doomlock was a priority, and Katie didn't know what defenses it might have or who it might be in. And if she were honest, she didn't much relish the idea of meeting Teth-Cobra again with anything less than overwhelming force on her side. The memory of the beating he had given her was still fresh.

~Zach, I'm not sure which of us you'd be best with, so if we do this, it's your call.~

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Fly over to Fred.

Free: Drop all current Augmentations.

Standard: 20-point Augmentation on Fred, using the indefinite slot.

2 points to add two more ranks of Increased Mass to Through the Looking Glass (bringing the total to 400 pounds, should be enough to bring Amanda and Zach with him, also I was so happy when I saw he had Increased Mass on it now ).
    13 points to duplicate...one of his Magic/Psychic Abilities other than Through the Looking Glass outside of its array. I'll let SC choose which.
    5 points for Enhanced Regeneration 5.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarah smiled. ~I've got a better idea. How about I go with you AND stay here to watch over Katie? Many hands make light work, after all.~ Moments later, a pair of portals opened, and two duplicates of Sarah stepped out. They looked almost identical, save for a few minor details - slightly different haircuts and color schemes, mainly. Meanwhile, Sarah-prime's eyes took on that distant, distracted aspect, as she concentrated on maintaining the necessary focus to keep her parallel timeline twins here.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Man, I'm glad I picked up the new summon power. I'll use it and spawn a pair of duplicates to go with Katie, while the real Sarah stays behind to watch the fight.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

No one had to tell him to go down and do something. Fred jumped down into the pass, standing a distance from the two Cobras as they prepared to face off. “She’s not the only one who’s going to fight.” Ronin knelt down and gripped the snow, feeling it between his fingers as his beshaded eyes looked out upon where the other Immortal Weapons were known to be. He stood up and spoke loudly and clearly.

“My name is Ronin. Who will be my opponent?”

A gust of wind blew by, ruffling his outfit and making his hair blow in a way that totally wasn’t cinematic.

~Shout if you're in trouble. I'm a thought away,~ he said to confirm what Katie said. Despite her awkwardness, he was perfectly able to communicate his protection of her.
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2016-04-14 at 06:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Amanda raised an eyebrow at the presence of the red and yellow lightning crackling around River Cobra. That was characteristic of the Flash - and several of his related allies and enemies - as some sort of access to the Speed Force. That was certainly odd, to say the least.

Still, this was a fight, and if River Cobra was somehow tapping into the Speed Force, that would certainly be a worthwhile trick to learn. So, Amanda spread out her senses, hoping to capture any stray details about River Cobra's speed.

Now ready to begin her assault, Amanda launched herself at her predecessor, only to flicker from view between heartbeats. This would be a fight heavily reliant upon both of their speed, and Amanda had spent almost half a decade perfecting teleport-based combat, and this was where she'd have to test that limitation. Flickering back into appearance at where Amanda predicted River Cobra would be, she swung her spear, leaving an incandescent trail of white light as the blade moved through the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Switch to Fivefold Palm Strike
    Free Action: Switch to Crimson Phoenix Form
    Free Action: Begin analyzing River Cobra's use of the Speed Force: Insight: (1d20+20)[37], Perception: (1d20+18)[21]
    Move Action: Move in to attack.
    Standard Action: Attack with Fivefold Palm Strike, (1d20+10)[25], Crit on 16+; On a hit, DC 25 Toughness vs. Damage, DC 20 Will vs. Weaken Toughness/Fortitude.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Zach flies closer to the group, surveying the scene. From what he can tell from Shared Awareness, this duel's both a grudge match and for the right to muck around with history. It's just not in Zach's nature to let that pass.

~"I'll back Cobra and Ronin up, Potence,"~ he thinks to Katie. ~"I could use a little help, though--most of my attacks require me to play my guitar, buuuut that doesn't seem like such a good idea next to mountains covered in snow. Is there anything you could do about that?"~

He scans the remaining Weapons, and (naturally) settles his gaze on the two female members. According to White Cobra's lowdown, the giggly-one is hard to hit but not too tough. His good ole Thunderstruck! would be perfect for her, but something just seems...off about her. And apparently the other is called Tiger's Beautiful Daughter. No explanation needed.

So he flies in a circuit around the Weapons, flying closest to Tiger's Beautiful Daughter before stopping a healthy distance away. "I am Zachary Wattson. Would you care to be my dance partner for a spell, oh beautiful daughter of a fearsome tigress?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion for the lulz: (1d20+20)[31] +5 if Attractive applies

Zach's about forty feet away from either combatant.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2016-04-14 at 12:15 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

As the mighty Misfits debate
    And think on their plan of action
    The battle of twin Cobras starts!
    Faster than blinking, they both strike:
    White Cobra, stepping through the air
    Deals a harsh shimmering blow
    Which River Cobra flows under
    And responds with two of her own

As River Cobra strikes at her
    White Cobra's keen senses observe:
    The first blow is meant to disrupt
    And ready the foe to receive
    A classic flurry of harsh strikes
    Lightning crackles as River strikes
    Just to be swiftly turned aside
    Or negated by White Cobra

Despite the swiftness of her blows
    River Cobra still breathes easy
    And shows no signs of exertion!
    Speed Force lightning shimmers on her
    And she scowls as her blows fail
    "Fair showing, Cobra of the West,
    If you're a thief, you're a good one;
    Perhaps I'll even break a sweat!"

Yet as she speaks, both Cobras feel
    A draining on their very souls;
    Their source of chi, now overtaxed
    By two drawing on what's meant for one
    Fizzles among them, and then stops
    In one direction, flowing now
    Only to White Cobra, Misfit,
    Leaving River Cobra gasping!

As the battle unfolds below
    The other Misfits act their wills;
    Potence and twin Sarah Saturns
    Prepare to depart in search of
    The time-imperiling Doomlock
    While Ronin issues a challenge
    Out to the rest of the Weapons
    Seeking a foe as insurance

At his call, youthful Iron Fist
    Turns with an insouciant grin
    And says with youthful mockery:
    "A Roman dog who bears himself
    As if he were a samurai?
    Maybe Dog Brother would oblige
    But I'll answer your challenge first
    To fight such a comical foe!"

Upon the edge of the cliff face
    Iron Fists readies his defenses
    His fists glow amid the tempest
    As he laughs above the thunder
    And beckons gleefully at Fred
    "Come face me then, Westerner-san!
    Let me see how the samurai
    Of Constantinople can fight!"

Meanwhile, Thunderstruck's bold call
    To Tiger's Beautiful Daughter
    Earns him what might be called a grin
    From Tiger Island's best fighter
    (At least, her teeth are bared at him):
    "I don't dance, flying Byzantine,"
    She calls, rising up her perch
    "And nor will you when I've finished"

She draws forth two folded steel fans
    Which slice through the snow-replete air
    And fly her hands as hawks on wing!
    Yet Thunderstruck feels the music
    Stirring through his skin, sizzling . . .

You! Shook me allllll niiiiiiiight loooooong . . .

THEY RALLY 'ROUND THE FAMILY! With a pocket full of shells . . .

You won't know your worth now, son, until you take a hit . . .

. . . and harmlessly the fans pass through
    As he turns lightning incarnate
    Untouchable by the solid!
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2016-04-14 at 12:47 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Katie's tactical mindset deemed this one...a partial victory. She felt it would have been more advantageous for those staying here to be waiting on the sidelines - with all of them fighting, there would be less incentive for the other Immortal Weapons to watch in case of an attempt at ganging up on River Cobra, potentially freeing them to go about their efforts.

Fortunately, Sarah had the solution. Summoning up her future selves (or were they past selves? Or were they future selves to this self but, due to their presence in the past, past selves to her actual self? Or if they broke the Doomlock, would they be alternate universe selves? Or were they already alternate universe selves that Sarah had just summoned from other timelines and if so were there two alternate reality Katies who were, just, super mad at her right now? Katie blinked, filed it away under "time travel makes my head hurt, best not to think about it", and immediately felt much less stressed.) not only let her be in two (three, technically) places at once, but the Immortal Weapons couldn't know whether or not she could call more duplicates into being, meaning keeping people in reserve to make sure she didn't interfere would hopefully have to be a priority.

Meanwhile, Katie had twice the firepower at her back, and when that firepower was the full technological arsenal of one Sarah "Maybe They Don't Use Codenames In The Future" Saturn, that was aces with her.

"Good plan," Katie said, tapping her Helping Hand with her wand. She enlarged it so the Sarah's could hop aboard, but also enchanted it for additional speed and to retain its normal - indeed, superior - sensitivity to the flows of energy. Teleportation was ideal when you knew where you were going, but what they needed here was to be able to find the Doomlock, and that made flight the optimal method of travel at the moment.

To Zach she sent, ~I can't...change how your powers work. I can make them work better, but if your music is the source for them, that's where they come from. Maybe see if you can fight in the sky...?~ She wasn't entirely sure how to help here, and unfortunately didn't have the time to come up with a better plan.

That said...Fred, Amanda, and Zach were call capable of teleportation, and the Immortal Weapons were, well, Immortal Weapons. She was willing to put her faith in the idea that an avalanche would be the least dangerous threat on this field.

Finally, she reached into her shirt, and drew forth a mirror. Okay, so it was a kinda big bulky clunky bathroom hand mirror rather than the sleeker sort Fred carried around, but it'd do the job. "Ready when you are," Katie said, and if the Sarahs were good to go and stepped aboard, she'd set off at speed, heading first for a pass over the Jin camp and, if that failed, over the city of Zhangjiakou. If she didn't pick anything up over there, she'd set a course for Zhongdu.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: 20-point Augmentation on self.

2 points for Enhanced Perception 4.
    6 points to partially duplicate Feeling Hand outside of the Helping Hand array, duplicating only the Awareness portion, and setting the descriptor for the Awareness to [Technology].
    4 points for +4 ranks on Feeling Hand, adding Extended 2 and Rapid 2.
    1 point for another rank of Increased Mass on Flying Hand.
    5 points for five more ranks on Flying Hand.
    2 points to buy off the Activation Flaw from her Magic Circle.

Free: Draw a mirror from her Magic Circle.

Move: Once (or if) the Sarahs climb aboard her Flying Hand, she'll take off. With speed enhanced, she's flying at a whopping 120 miles per move action (roughly 8,000 MPH), reduced to 60 miles per move action/4,000 MPH due to the Environment effect. I was a little concerned about flying in this storm, but if it functions as a Counter I at least should have a rank advantage now, and if it functions as just wind, well...I'm making a tornado look slow, so I'm comfortable.

Note that while she should be able to not just reach, but fly a nice search circuit over the camp and Zhangjiakou, she can't reach Zhongdu this round.

Her Awareness was already Extended, so it's currently Extended 3 (X1,000 range, so -1 per 10,000'), and with Rapid 2 (X100 speed) to help with scanning. It doesn't Penetrate Concealment, but it does have Tracking, so even if the Doomlock isn't in the open at the moment, if it was at a prior point, she might be able to pick up the trail. 'Course, it may also help that it's probably the only thing with a [Technology] descriptor on the planet right now aside from our stuff. Katie'll be cruising at an altitude of some 5,000'; low enough that her Extended sense won't take any penalties, but high enough that people on the ground probably can't spot her with the weather, and if something goes wrong we should have several rounds available to correct before hitting the ground.

I'll Routine the Perception check to spot/track it, for 20 after +4 for the augment and -2 for the storm.

Current Status: Normal.

Shared Awareness is ON.

Current Augments

Ronin (20 Points) [Indefinite]:

2 points to add two more ranks of Increased Mass to Through the Looking Glass.
    13 points to duplicate...one of his Magic/Psychic Abilities other than Through the Looking Glass outside of its array. I'll let SC choose which.
    5 points for Enhanced Regeneration 5.

Katie (20 Points) [5 Rounds]:

2 points for Enhanced Perception 4.
    6 points to partially duplicate Feeling Hand outside of the Helping Hand array, duplicating only the Awareness portion, and setting the descriptor for the Awareness to [Technology].
    4 points for +4 ranks on Feeling Hand, adding Extended 2 and Rapid 2.
    1 point for another rank of Increased Mass on Flying Hand.
    5 points for five more ranks on Flying Hand.
    2 points to buy off the Activation Flaw from her Magic Circle.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-04-14 at 09:33 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarah's temporal twins stepped on to Katie's hand and joined her in scanning the horizon for their target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Polymath will give them both the Teamwork advantage and +8 to Perception checks, and then they'll take 10 on assisting Katie, giving her a +5 to her check.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

The young Iron Fist’s barbs receive no reaction from the similarly youthful-yet-experienced warrior that was Frederick Broll. As he settled into a stance, Fred spoke up to clarify two things. “I’m from Westchester. You won’t be laughing for long.” Ronin’s third eye was open towards Iron Fist, scanning his abilities and weaknesses before Ronin would make the first move.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acute, analytical detect powers and detect weakness. Add in an insight. Also currently countering concealment and illusions.

Let’s also do an assessment so we can get a huge info dump.
    (1d20+18)[32]
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

~"Huh, so your magic can't do everything, huh? That's almost disappointing to hear,"~ Zach replies with an obvious joking lilt to his mental voice. ~"Have fun Doomlock-hunting!"~

The music rings within his bones once more, and he smirks as the fans whirl through him harmlessly. "A shame, Lady Tigress. I'm sure you would be a delirium-inducingly lovely dancer, if you only gave it a shot."

He flies next to her, flashing her a suave grin. "Just watch how I do," he says as he starts to hum snatches of a new song. He strums his guitar softly to give himself some accompaniment, and around him other songs emerge from the aether.

For those about to rock, we salute you!

"Well you walk into this restaurant, all strung out from the road..."

"And there's nothing wrong with me, this is how I'm supposed to be!"

His hips begin to swing to the rhythm of his guitar's twangs. His feet shuffle and jerk, bringing him up onto the tips of his feet and widening his legs as he walks around her.

~"Can't say that I'm high classed, that'd be a lie"~
    ~"Oh no, can't say I'm, high-classed...that'd be a lie"~
    ~"Well, I ain't never caught a Tiger, d'you wanna be a friend of mine?"~

He finishes his little dance, and Tiger's Beautiful Daughter can see that she is now surrounded by hand-sized motes of sparking electricity. He smirks and tips an invisible hat to her as his hips twists spasmodically.

~"WEll, I ain't nothin' but a hound dog; cryin' all the time!"~

With that, the lightning motes glow brighter before immediately striking at Tiger's Beautiful Daughter. If they miss, the lightning gathers itself together and prepares itself for a second pass as Zach begins to breathe far more heavily.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Close in with Tiger's Beautiful Daughter.
    Free action: Expertise (Musician) Routine'd for 30 (26 if using the guitar only a little isn't enough to get its bonus)
    Free action: Use half-Expertise (Musician) emulate Elvis' "dancing": (1d20+8)[23]
    Standard: Aim at TBD for +10 to-hit.
    Extra Effort: Standard action to use Nothin' but a Hound Dog. First, fingers crossed for Unreliable check: (1d20+6)[9] Y u do dis, RNG? HP spent to auto-pass.
    If successful, Power Attacking for -5/+5 for (1d20+15)[34] vs DC 30+Multiattack Damage

Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2016-04-14 at 10:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

After less than five seconds, Ronin had a gauge on his opponent. Trying to impair him by physical trauma wouldn’t get him anywhere. Quick strikes were right out. Iron Fist was tougher than his modern counterpart, but less able to dodge. Starsoul’s supernatural edge could help deal with that. Fred’s left hand flexed its fingers idly before the samurai shot forward and struck with an opening iaijutsu strike, putting some extra force into it.

The speed of Ronin's charge kicked up a trail of snow behind him, and the force of the strike was accompanied by the flash of Starsoul's prismatic blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power slash with a power attack of 2: (1d20+10)[29] DC 25 30+Multi parry vs. damage
    Last edited by SuperCracker; 2016-04-15 at 11:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Amanda flipped through the air, dodging River Cobra's first attack. She could tell it was a feint to set her up for the next attack - that was the entire principle behind Amanda's own techniques. Naturally, Amanda was prepared for the second strike, bringing her spear up to parry River Cobra's kick.

Amanda landed, and exhaled. "A thief wouldn't know how to use chi properly. I certainly hope I've disproved your 'ally'."

This was definitely going to be a much more intense fight than what Amanda had expected. Two people using Xiang Yao's chi at the same time created a sort of "tug-of-war" effect. Amanda was lucky that she still had control over it, but it was only a matter of time until that wasn't the case.

Taking advantage in River Cobra's lapse in power, Amanda launched her own onslaught of attacks. She needed to catch River Cobra off-guard - just once - for the dominoes to fall in place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Fivefold Palm Strike at (1d20+10)[19] 28, DC 25 Toughness vs. Damage, DC 20 Will vs. Weaken Fortitude/Toughness. Crit on a 16+

EXTRA EFFORT!

Standard Action: Fivefold Palm Strike at (1d20+10)[11] 25, DC 25 Toughness vs. Damage, DC 20 Will vs. Weaken Fortitude/Toughness. Crit on a 16+

Last edited by BlueHerring; 2016-04-16 at 12:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Upon the field's main contest
    River Cobra, deprived of chi
    Lets loose a proficient barrage
    Of conventional kung fu blows
    Yet White Cobra's connection stays
    And, through twin telling spear attacks
    She flawlessly repels her foe
    Who springs back, breathing heavily

"Tell me this, Cobra of the West"
    Spits the Champion of Peng Lai
    "By what reason do you fight for
    The savage hordes that camp below?
    If you are truly of Peng Lai
    (Which I do not yet concede, mind)
    Why do you not join our defense
    Of our people upon the earth?"

Elsewhere, Ronin's measured strike tells!
    A singing blow arcs through the air
    And slices callow Iron Fist
    Who cries out in pain as he reels!
    Yet not for naught did Bei Ming-Tian
    Defeat the Immortal Shou-Lao
    With glowing aura he's renewed;
    "Try . . . that again . . . See what happens . . ."

As Thunderstruck attacks with sound
    Just as his foe strikes with fury!
    And for all his foe's vaunted skill
    (Which threatens to slice his ghost form)
    Tiger's Beautiful Daughter reels
    Against the musician's lightning
    . . . and perhaps his hip's gyrations;
    "So I see . . ." she smiles to him

Elsewhere, Potence and the Sarah's
    Fly across the land high speeds
    Over the Jin defensive camp
    And the city of Zhangjiakou
    She feels much; resting soldiery
    Provisions prepared and well-stocked
    Artillery ready to move
    But no Doomlocks to be perceived . . .

Yet there's a trail slow-forming
    Of technological traces
    Within Zhangjiakou's stony walls;
    Particulate, nearly unseen
    Yet most certainly to be found!
    It spreads throughout the city streets
    Like blood dropped into clear water
    Directionless, yet spreading fast . . .

Spoiler: Expertise (Magic) DC 30
    Show
    There may be a technological element to what's happening below, but the actual process is magical; the function is being spread and reiterated throughout the city. It's essentially a conjuring trick applied to the Doomlock; very difficult to manage with technology, but comparatively simple with magic.

Spoiler: Expertise (Magic) DC 35
    Show
    This is more associative magic, like corresponding to like. It's very much signature to the Talisman's general style, but again with the sort of clumsy brain-damaged technique that was seen with the Doomlocks within Hector. There might be a key within this somewhere . . .

Spoiler: Expertise (Magic) DC 38
    Show
    If it's like the Talisman's general magical modus operandi, there's a living lynchpin that is allowing whatever is happening to happen. So, find the center to the effect, take it out, and everything that's being affected goes back to normal.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Zach's confident smirk widens as he easily avoids the beautiful tigress' blows. "I hope you're not too distracted to take notes," he says and gives her a wink. "Although I couldn't blame you if you were."

He strums out on his guitar again, a soulful, yearning tune. His hips move slower, yet more sensually this time as he puts on a yearning expression.

~"Well since my baby left me"~
    ~"I've found a new place to dwell"~
    ~"Well, it's down at the end of Lonely Street"~
    ~"At Heartbreak Hotel"~

Hopefully, she is too distracted by his hips as the air becomes littered with lightning again.

~"I've been so lonely, baby"~
    ~"Are you lonely?"~
    ~"If we're both lonely, I'll make you fly"~

On the last word, the lightning converges on her once more in a flash of energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Feint at -5 penalty: (1d20+7)[24]+5 if you would allow Attractive to apply (I will note: he is using an Elvis Presley song to distract her...)

Standard action: Nothin' but a Hound Dog, -5/+5 All-Out and Power Attack for (1d20+10)[15] vs DC 30+Multiattack Damage

Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2016-04-16 at 01:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

The sound of fists against wood rang out in the confines of the past. Amanda had managed to parry yet another series of blows from River Cobra, but her own attacks seemed to have had some effect on the speedster.

"Because that would give rise to an even greater threat. There is a man, called Kang, who intends to sabotage the timeline in order to conquer the world. In my time, the world has recovered from the Mongol horde, but if Kang takes power... I do not know what will happen. That is why I must fight,"

Amanda narrowed her eyes as she took advantage of this moment to figure out her next move. River Cobra was fast, but wasn't fortunate enough to hold on to the serpent's chi for now. It was only a matter of time until the serpent's chi would flow in her favor, which meant that Amanda needed to press her advantage.

Amanda charged at River Cobra, spear readied for a sweeping motion, only to disappear and reappear above her predecessor. Amanda spun, taking advantage of the gravity and momentum from her charge to launch a heavy strike against River Cobra.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: All-Out+Power Attack (2) with Fivefold Palm Strike. (1d20+12)[17] (Crit on 16+); If it hits, DC 27 Toughness vs. Damage, DC 22 Will vs. Weaken.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Katie felt the Doomlock spreading through the city below them, and with a tense frown she swooped down, alighting atop a roof above where the nanites seemed to be thickest. Once they were supported, she brought her Helping Hand back up to her left. Whatever was replicating them was magical in nature. Sarah had a tool for attacking the Doomlock's directly, so she'd leave that to her. Meantime, she'd see what she could determine about the replication magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Down onto a roof, near the thickest cluster of Doomlock nanites I can discern.

Free: 5-point Augmentation on self.

5 points for Enhanced Perception 5, Enhanced Expertise (Magic) 4.

Free: Swap to Feeling Hand and examine the replication with the Detect Magic and Magic Awareness functions. Bear in mind, these are Analytical senses, so they should provide substantial detail into the nature of the magic at hand. Routine Expertise (Magic) to interpret what she discerns for 30, or 35 with Sarah Team Check. The Detect is also Accurate and the Awareness is both Extended and Tracking, so if this magic is pervasive, she should be able to get a pretty good sense of its spread, I think. Routine Perception for 23 on that.

Holding her standard for this round in case I come up with a use for it. If I don't, she'll end turn Defending.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Both of Sarah's duplicates worked in slightly eerie silence. They weren't a hivemind, or any sort of gestalt consciousness, but it was the next best thing, with their shared histories and almost identical mindsets. They knew well what Katie was doing, as well, and easily moved to assist her. With Katie, they had to say more, but not much, merely pointing out a few details that the mage missed.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Assist Katie in her checks for a +5 bonus. Also, can we say that Sarah gave the anti-Doomlock device to one of the duplicates?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

After Ronin unleashed that iaijutsu strike, he stepped to the right, shifting and pivoting so that he was now at Iron Fist’s left-hand side. The arc of his first attack had naturally brought his sword up high, so Ronin now switched his grip and slashed downward onto the regenerating Immortal Warrior. This all happened so quickly that just as Iron Fist finished speaking, the second slash came down with another bright flash of starmetal.

None, not even the previously laughing Iron Fist, could deny the skill and power of the modern samurai’s strikes; his quickness and technique were born of ancient experience remembered and honed with a lifetime of new battles. His style was that of the sword saints of legend. In fact, he very well was a sword saint of legend at one point. And perhaps, with the things he has done, Frederick Allen Broll was becoming one too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack is in the OOC.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

The blistering chi of Xiang Yao
    A tide rising and lowering
    Rivers flowing two directions;
    White Cobra strikes River Cobra
    Puncturing her skin with her spear
    River Cobra slows White Cobra
    (Though the strike is mostly absorbed)
    And regaining the serpent's chi

River Cobra's bitter laughter
    Rings out through the raging tempest
    "You would knowingly sentence death
    To thousands of my, OUR people
    For the sake of that which MIGHT be?
    If this Kang's rule would right this wrong
    And mean protection for my land
    Then I say 'Long may this Kang reign!'"

Upon the cliff, Ronin draws blood
    Again from the young Iron Fist!
    His foe grits his teeth, leaps backwards
    And deals a blow to Ronin's soul
    Which ought to set it ringing, weak,
    And harshly debilitated
    Yet Ronin's soul is eon-tempered
    And the soul-blow passes him by

Thunderstruck, for his part, strikes true
    And Tiger's Beautiful Daughter
    Is zapped once again by lightning
    As she gazes upon Zach's hips!
    "Lonely, are you?" growls she, grinning
    Even as she shakes off his strike
    "Were I not sworn to lay you low
    I'd gladly provide company . . ."

Standing on a Zhangjiakou roof
    Potence and Saturn now labor
    To understand the magitech
    That works its will upon the town;
    Just as they'd worked at Castle Doom
    The two soon gain understanding
    Of Kang's nefarious actions
    And the working of this Doomlock

The Doomlock is a nanite cloud
    With multiple effects added:
    A super soldier serum waits
    To be triggered, along with spells
    To enslave the will of the one
    Who bears a nanite within them
    Thus, any who bear a piece of
    The Doomlock might become a threat

Throughout the city, citizens
    From youngest child to gray elder
    Are being infected by Kang's
    Diabolical nanite cloud;
    Yet Sarah and Potence find out
    The center of this spreading doom
    Lies somewhere in the city's depths
    Amid the governor's mansion

And this is not all, near the source
    Of this foul nanite Doomlock plague
    Potence manages to detect
    The foul aura of Teth-Cobra
    Standing still within the building
    Sizzling with lightning, power
    And channeling the mighty storm
    Which even now assails the pass!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Zach is a mite disheartened as Tiger's Beautiful Daughter seems to shake off the worst of his blow. That's two charges of his Hound Dog gone, and he knows his limits: he's only got three more until all of his attack powers are out of commission. That is...less than ideal. He'll have to get a little more tactical.

Of course, his true feelings do not so much as make his mouth twitch in dismay. Quite the contrary: in response to her comment, he clutches his chest dramatically. He strums out another tune on his guitar as his hips begin to swing once more.

~"A'well, my hands are shaky, and my knees are weak"~
    ~"I can't seem to stand on my own two feet"~
    ~"You're so hot, I'm all shook up, u-huh-huh"~

Here he makes his hips move to suit the words: spasming and swinging in ways that even a trained combatant such as Tiger's Beautiful Daughter would wonder what he could be capable of...elsewhere.

"Such a shame--it almost makes me wish to be laid low beneath you," he replies with a little chuckle. "But pray tell, O Beauteous Tigress: what might pass if I should be the one to bring you to your knees?"

As he continues to dance, he uses his movement and words to hide his intention: to take careful aim such that with his next blow, she should feel the full force of his power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Deception to hide the fact that he's Aiming: (1d20+12)[18] (including +5 from Attractive)
    Standard action: Aim for +10 to next attack.

Persuasion/Seduction: (1d20+25)[39]

Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2016-04-18 at 06:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Working with Sarah was always a pleasure. What Katie didn't understand or think of, she always seemed on top of. Between the two of them, no doubt they would be able to solve this problem in-

Katie gave a little sigh to herself. She was doing it again. She had told herself that she hadn't been putting enough effort into her friendship with Sarah outside of "work stuff", and here she was just working on the problem. This was silly.

So, while continuing to use Shared Awareness and its rapid communication to discuss the Doomlock and the magic at hand, verbally, Katie asked the temporal clones, "So, hey, um, if you don't mind me asking...what kinda of stuff do you, I mean, you know, real Sarah, or, not um, I mean like, you know, the Sarah from my timeline that's like normally here and stuff, like to do? I mean, you know, for fun, and stuff?" ...Well, that was just slightly all over the place.

'Course, with the more important discussion going on at the speed of thought, it didn't take much time for their comparative analysis to reveal what the Doomlock was actually doing.

And that...kinda killed Katie's ability to focus on fun stuff.

There was a fleeting moment of panic as the pessimistic portion of Katie's brain, well-fed by their adventure at Troy, started vomiting out all manner of horrible possibilities where Sarah's anti-Doomlock device didn't work our couldn't work on a large enough scale and the only way to stop it was killing a bunch of people or they couldn't do that so the future got changed and lots of people died because of that and, and, and-

Stop. she heard Amanda's voice echo in her head, a common order when Katie started getting frustrated and worked-up in their training sessions. Breathe.

And Katie indeed silenced her thoughts, took a breath, and considered the problem.

~Okay...we need to neutralize the spread of the Doomlock. Stopping it at its source is probably the most efficient way to do that. So...we go after Teth-Cobra, yeah? Even if the Doomlock has a little longer to spread while we fight him, once we stop it at the source, it should be easier to counteract it in anyone it's infected. We might even be able to figure out a way to repurpose the spreading spell to carry your counter back to whoever it infected, maybe. What do you think?~ Katie...honestly wasn't super gung-ho to try this plan. Oh, sure, she logically knew that what had happened before was because Darkchilde had stolen her magic and suppressed her wards more than anything, but still. The memory of the savage beating she endured at Teth-Cobra's hands did not exactly make her keen on fighting him again, especially without the full team at hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Withholding actual actions for the moment, to see what Sarah thinks. Delaying, in essence.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-04-18 at 07:19 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Ronin

Weathering the Iron Fist’s soul-strike, Ronin continued to strike out with the power of his soul. Starsoul itself was created of Ronin’s essence, a thing that was indestructible, able to cut through the toughest of materials. That was the power of a righteous soul. The battle continued, with Fred unleashing strike after strike against the iron Fist, pressing his attack and giving no respite, no moment to recover. Flash after flash of his blade, the swings singing in the air amidst the snow.

“What’s wrong?! Having trouble with the ‘Roman Pretender?’” He said to purposefully rattle the Immortal Warrior.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    Katie asked the temporal clones, "So, hey, um, if you don't mind me asking...what kinda of stuff do you, I mean, you know, real Sarah, or, not um, I mean like, you know, the Sarah from my timeline that's like normally here and stuff, like to do? I mean, you know, for fun, and stuff?" ...Well, that was just slightly all over the place.
    The duplicates, like the regular Sarah, were of course aware that some people did things for fun. Nevertheless they were wrong-footed by the question. "I don't know all the details of your Sarah's life," said one of them. "But we're all pretty similar, and we find fun in our work. Personally, I like spending time in my lab, trying to learn new things that can help make the world a better place. Between working with my version of this team, running the Saturn Foundation, and the regular rotations we all do skipping into each others' timelines to help out, I keep busy, and that's what I find enjoyable."

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    ~Okay...we need to neutralize the spread of the Doomlock. Stopping it at its source is probably the most efficient way to do that. So...we go after Teth-Cobra, yeah? Even if the Doomlock has a little longer to spread while we fight him, once we stop it at the source, it should be easier to counteract it in anyone it's infected. We might even be able to figure out a way to repurpose the spreading spell to carry your counter back to whoever it infected, maybe. What do you think?~ Katie...honestly wasn't super gung-ho to try this plan. Oh, sure, she logically knew that what had happened before was because Darkchilde had stolen her magic and suppressed her wards more than anything, but still. The memory of the savage beating she endured at Teth-Cobra's hands did not exactly make her keen on fighting him again, especially without the full team at hand.
    Sarah - all three of them - switched effortlessly into the telepathic communication of Katie's shared awareness spell. ~The countermeasure I devised was premised on the belief that this Doomlock would be centralized. It's a pretty simple device, designed to just directly attack the components of the Doomlock. If you can detect the Doomlocks, then you can use the device to basically burn out the infection, and it should be harmless to the host - but it's not ideal for the current situation. I think you're right that going after Teth-Cobra is the right call. Once that's done, between us we could put together a device or a ritual spell designed to nullify whatever he's done.~