New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Childhood Adventures, Part 1 (IC)

Sure. I will just read it in the classroom, if you don't mind. I don't want to take a chance with something this valuable. Never know what, or who, might happen to it.

After perusing it a bit, he waits outside class for Earnie.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

[Altarion]

A quick read through the page on Waukeen reveals a quite varied portfolio, mostly centered around trade and wealth. She seems to cater to both the most upright of merchants, who use wealth to better society and follow any and all laws, while also supporting illicit, black-market dealing. While you were expecting her to support travel and trade, interestingly, she also supports knowledge and protection.

Tempus, you already know a good deal about after a month of classes, but it's easy to find his page, written in bold, easily read lettering. You skim what you know - Lord of Battles, believes in honorable war but is generally chaotic - but you do find an interesting note about his conflict with Garagos, a more uncontrolled god of war who sought mindless slaughter. Apparently, Tempus left him alive so that he would not be compelled to take on such unsavory aspects of war, but eventually reduced him to essence.

[Earnest, later]

Mr. Sophos raises an eyebrow at you, but then turns to the book and leafs through the pages. "Sounds like... ah, yes, Nusemnee. A bit obscure, that one. Daughter of an archdevil, defeated by a lackey of Pelor, was spared and redeemed herself, was granted ascension for her deeds. Symbol is a dagger with two twisting snakes creating the hilt. Not a whole lot of information on her available beyond that - she's really quite a minor deity."

He then closes the book with a thud, then looks around at the room, empty except for you and Al. Then, he looks back at you, quite intently. "Was there anything else?"

3. - Top - End - #93

That'll do for me. Thanks a lot, sir.

Once they leave the room, Al whispers to Earnie.

Either Andrew or one of his cronies tried a Sleep spell on me in class. What gives? I thought we were past this newbie hazing crap with him. Did anyone say anything to you about it?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Nes-sue-men-ee," Earnie says slowly, making sure to get the pronunciation right. Looking back up at his teacher, he replied, Nope, thanks Professor Sophos!

Bidding him a quick goodbye, Earnie realized that he and Al were nearly late to their first aid class, Earnie bolts out the door. Seeing Al standing there waiting for him, Earnie calls out a quick Come on! grabs his arm and drags him along before he can even get a word out. Once Earnie's sure they won't be disastrously late, he slows down to listen to Al.

Hm. Did you see Andrew's face though? I don't think he wanted to do it. My parents said that it's not always the leader making the decisions - sounds like his people are pushing him somewhere. Plus, that voice in the hallway - at least one of them isn't happy.

Looking conspiratorial, Earnie continued, Plus, get this - the sigil that lit up for Andrew was Nusemnee - daughter of an Arch-Devil, defeated by light, spared, redeemed, and granted ascension - sounds a little like what we're trying to do, right? he finished, grinning. Switching to a serious tone, but still speaking softly, Earnie added, And if you want to talk about those two sigils, I'd be honored to listen.

5. - Top - End - #95

The young human considered what Earnie was saying about Andrew's reticence. His people, or just person? If he doesn’t like it and one of the stooges doesn’t, I wonder if there’s just one behind it. I don’t know all of us newest crop with how people leave and enter this school so often; maybe we need to make the effort to find out about ‘em.

At least the sigil is good news; either that’s a deity he chose and it shows he understands the path he needs to be on, or the book chose it for him like it did for me, and that means no matter how uphill our battle may be with Andrew, at least we have some holy help.

He puts a friendly hand on the halfling's shoulder. I appreciate that, Earnie. But it’s too big a decision for me to even comprehend right now. And I guess there’s no rush. They seem to be OK with me being a potential disciple of both for a while, so I might as well keep on and see which one feels more…right.

Al suddenly let out a guffaw. Now I know how our head steward at home felt when he was juggling both the gardener’s daughter and the scullery maid!

6. - Top - End - #96

Earnie goes beet red at Al's last comment. I'm, uh, sure the gods will be more, eh, understanding than those two were. His face had those two red hand-prints for weeks! Laughing himself, Earnie recalled, And every time they saw their marks fading they gave him a new one! Remember at the harvest fair, he was in the pie-eating contest, and one of them smacked him right when he had a big mouthful of pie! It went everywhere!

Reaching their classroom, Earnie added, I think I'm gonna go to the libraries to see if I can figure more out about Andrew's parents and Nusemnee after dinner - want to come? If not, it might be good to check in with Andrew, or figure out more about the new kids - if someone's casting magic, that's GOTTA be against the rules.

7. - Top - End - #97

Al smiles wistfully, thinking of home. But give him credit, ol' Redcheeks still shrugged it off and won the contest. I guess a man can get used to just about anything. And sure, I'm up to go study some more. We knew his parents were bad news, but if either Andrew or a god thinks of them as actual demons, they must be even worse than we were told.

He follows Earnie to the library.

8. - Top - End - #98

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Going to the library was an after dinner plan - I'm good with skipping ahead, if r2d2go is down for it.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The library is a solemn place, almost always dead-silent, filled with towering shelves of musty tomes. Generally, only the most dedicated of students enter for general study, and those looking for something specific are quick to enter and leave. This is almost solely attributed to Mr. Harwell, the paladin that serves as librarian, and one of the most intimidating men you've known to walk the material plane - a lean, six foot mass of metal and righteousness. He rarely moves, as to avoid the now-familiar clanking of moving armor, but simply turning his head to glare is enough to silence most.

However, he knows you two by now, well enough to give a barely perceptible nod as you enter the library, the equivalent of a broad smile for him. With that blessing, you begin poring through the shelves, attempting to find information on Nusemnee or Andrew's parents. Despite the perfect organization of the books, it takes ten minutes to locate a single book with an article on Nusemnee, and you can't find one on Andrew at all beyond general records of House Irbor's accomplishments. Upon inquiry, it appears there are none, something Mr. Harwell explains is not unusual for nobles trying to keep information on their families within the family itself.

Taking a look at the book you found, it appears Mr. Sophos wasn't wrong - Nusemnee has barely a paragraph written about her, in a sort of index.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nusemnee was the daughter of Sseth and a powerful devil. She was originally an assassin for her father, supporting his schemes by murdering his opponents. She failed to assassinate a high priest of Pelor, and was mortally wounded. Expecting only death, she was surprised when the high priest healed her. She decided to serve the priest until she could repay the life debt, and by the time she did, she had chosen to change into a force for good. With the help of Pelor, she ascended and has become a symbol of redemption.

It goes on to cite other devils and deities she who she has interacted with - Her father, many of his lieutenants and allies, and evil outsiders in general hate her, while it seems many good deities disapprove of a devil among their ranks.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14]

10. - Top - End - #100

Al whispers to avoid bringing down the wrath of Harwell. That last part is a trifle depressing for Andrew. And probably true. His family is going to be fighting mad if this paladin academy turns him into an actual paladin. I hate to say it, but I hope none of them visit him anytime soon. They'll try to start undoing everything.

11. - Top - End - #101

Hmm, yeah - that could be bad. But Andrew's pretty good at acting, so maybe they wouldn't notice? Earnie whispers hopefully. Buuut, if we do succeed, I think this place can weather their anger. Sure they're wealthy and have power, remember about what they told us about the founding of this place - it isn't subject to the dominion of its neighboring countries, and has uh...mutual defense promises? I think that's the right word? Anyhow, it's all because of the great deeds that the founders did. Looking more thoughtfully from the book to Al, Earnie added, I think this means we have a good shot. I don't think the library'll tell us more though - so next on our list would be finding the new spellcaster. You think enough people'll still be up in the dormitories to ask around?

12. - Top - End - #102

Al playfully rolls his eyes at his compatriot. Earn, I didn't mean actual fighting. Fighting mad like they'll do anything to turn him back to their twisted worldview. I mean, even the librarian's in plate armor. No one's attacking it unless they have an army.

You're right about this sleepytime fellow. Most everyone our age can't cast anything yet. And if he did it once, he either already did it before or will again. Let's go ask around.

13. - Top - End - #103

Heh, right, I knew that. Yeah, let's go! Earnie replied, putting the books back and heading out of the library, offering a Good night! to Mr. Harwell as he passed.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Mr. Harwell nods slightly again as you leave, then turns back to watching the few remaining students.

Back in the dormitories, you find the one who you think cast the spell fairly quickly - He's tall, strikingly handsome, and alone. He seems to be writing in a journal of sorts, which he snaps shut as you approach. "Oh! ...Oh, it's you. Um, I can explain."

Barely waiting for a response, he forges onwards, words tumbling out of his mouth in a harsh whisper. "Andrew made me! Well, he kind of did and I kind of agree but basically his parents are going to disown him and maybe worse if he doesn't do everything right, so he's trying to get in big trouble to get put in a magic resistant room," - he takes a quick breath here, then continues - "and I'm trying to help him, and I'm really sorry about what happened in class, and I really have no idea what to do." He looks around, then leans inwards. "Please help."
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-13 at 03:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Young Altarion made a face at all this. That plan is weird. And stupid. How was making me fall asleep in class getting anyone else in trouble? Still, I appreciate the honesty, if it is honesty, and we'll help. But a the same time...

He flicks the other kid in the ear.

If either of you want to start something again, just grab a sparring sword and we'll do it that way. Magic is for sissy babies. And I'm not just saying that because I don't know how to cast anything.

Mostly.

16. - Top - End - #106

More concerned for Andrew than annoyed at the kid - though Earnie did privately enjoy Al flicking his ears - he asks, Since you clearly already know us, what's your name? I get that Andrew doesn't want to be kicked out by his family, but I'm with Al - making us fall asleep probably wasn't the best way to avoid that. What's he supposed to be doing that he's not?

Pausing to think for a moment, Earnie added one last thought, And why would being in a magic-resistant room help? I haven't seen him use any magic, so I don't see why it'd be important.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Your classmate flinches as his ear gets flicked, but he stays quiet as the two of you speak. Then, he says, "I'm, uh, Alex. S-someone has magical surveillance on him. I checked it, with Detect Magic, and he's got a bunch of divinations auras, all around him. It's been... a very careful, tricky process, communicating. But he got a warning today, so we're almost there. I'll probably have to try again tomorrow..."

18. - Top - End - #108

The gears finally click into place for Al. Of course! That actually does make sense. Earnie, I think one of us needs to be there too, if not both. Finally get a chance to talk to him straight out. Although instead of pulling jerk pranks to get there, I guess we could actually just go ask a teacher to put us there. Which admittedly, Andrew could not do. Though you could have for him, Alex. Still, nice of you to help him out. Hopefully we can too.

19. - Top - End - #109

Listening to Alex's explanation, Earnie's head nodded in understanding. Huh - that does make a lot of sense. Okay, so like Al said, we can make sure that he gets thrown in one of those rooms tomorrow during Professor Sophos' class, and we can make sure that one of us is in there with him so he won't be alone. It should work if magic gets used on us while Sophos isn't looking and Andrew takes credit for it. How long does he need to be in one of those rooms?

Turning to Al while waiting on Alex to reply, Earnie said, Which one of us should go in with him? I'd like the chance to talk with him, but an outburst might be more believable coming from you.

Show

Hey, sorry for being late to post this week - I started my summer 10-6 job and so I haven't had as much time during the day. Also, what's with all the A names?

20. - Top - End - #110

Honestly, you're more the negotiator between the two of us. I'm not as quick on my feet with thinking about what to say. And it might be believable, since you've never been hit by magic before by another student. I can tell it sure made me mad, having someone try to pull the rug out from under me like that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, alliteration is all acceptable by me. Andrew's parents should be Alvin and Artemis!

21. - Top - End - #111

Okay then, I'll get mad and we'll make sure Andrew and I get sent to the room. Turning to Alex, Earnie continued, Let Andrew know that you think Mr. Sophos' class will be the best time to mess with us. Now, out of curiosity - how did you learn magic?

Show

My availability this weekend is iffy at best (moving into a new apartment)

Also, I totally wouldn't mind if the first villain we face is Arnold the Axe-Assaulter - I just thought it was funny.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    ...I totally thought I was choosing names at random, too

Or maybe I was? You know what they say, humans always try to seem more random than true randomness...

i don't think anyone says that but it's true okay

Alex nods vigorously, clearly relieved he's got more people in on the idea. However, when the subject of magic comes up, he suddenly looks much more bashful, holding up his hand and taking a long look at his palms. "I... I've always been a little magical, I guess. My father was too. He says it's because I've got some magic blood somewhere down the line, like him, but I dunno... I've never had to study for it, or anything. My father wants me to learn more magic, but it kinda ends up just happening. He... doesn't know, I think. He thinks I'm just good."

His eyes flick back and forth, and he picks up the journal he had closed on his lap and puts it under his bed. "If that's all, it's pretty late... time to, uh, call it a night?"

23. - Top - End - #113

Looking between his two co-conspirators, Earnie nodded his assent. Yeah, not much else to do besides sleep. See you in the morning Alex, Al. After the other two say their goodbyes, Earnie goes to his small bedroom, spends a few minutes looking over the next recipe in his cookbook, and then offers evening prayers to Yolanda before turning in for the night.

Waking up the next morning, Earnie washed his face, dressed for class, and then offered up a brief prayer for the day. Yolanda, please let our plan work - I think Andrew wants to be good, and this could be a chance for him. Grabbing his backpack, he hurried off to meet up with Al and start their morning classes.

24. - Top - End - #114

Al smiles at Earnie and Alex, the latter a touch enviously as he considers what he would do with a natural magic attunement The he heads back to his side of the dorms.

In the morning, he met Earnie outside their first class; as the pair often spoke this way, he figured it would not look suspicious.

Did Alex ever say what spell you're gonna get? Or is he keeping it a surprise so your reaction is more real?

25. - Top - End - #115

Frowning slightly in concentration, Earnie replied, No actually - I didn't think to ask last night, and I haven't seen him yet this morning. Guess it'll be a surprise. Plus, Earnie added, looking up towards Al, who knows? He might tag you with it so I lose my temper - after all, if he had put us to sleet, it would have been hard for us to get angry.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Those A names really do sound ridiculous when I have to list 'em like that...

Also, pretty sure I never named the homeroom teacher, and it's been awkward ever since. I'm making the executive decision to name her Ms. Amoline. We can pretend she introduced herself day 1

The next morning, classes proceed as usual, though Alex is obviously fidgeting. Just as before, when Ms. Amoline calls upon Al, a wave of drowsiness overcomes him and Earnie. Though Al fights it off, Earnie can't resist, and his head hits the table with an audible thump. The class begins tittering with laughter as Earnie appears to peacefully snooze, waking only when whacked smartly with a wooden pointer. However, while the looming teacher's eyes seem to smolder with anger, she glares not at Earnie, but at Alex and Andrew.

As class ends, Ms. Amoline holds back Al, Earnie, Andrew and Alex, whacking the wooden pointer against her palm and glaring at Andrew. "I think you know why you're here. I gave you a warning yesterday - don't try to deny it." Turning to Al and Earnie, in a slightly softer voice, she says, "Now, I don't think you're really at fault here, but you two are going to have to come with me as well. We need to all have a nice long chat."

Walking down the hallway, Alex can barely suppress his grin, though Andrew manages to seem irritated at being caught. Turning towards a door marked with a number of runes you don't recognize, Ms. Amoline pulls out an ornate key. After opening the door, she ushers the four children in, then enters herself and closes the door behind her, then heaves a deep sigh. "Alright, you four, there's no need to keep up pretenses anymore. We know what you're doing. Old Sophos is as much a spellcaster as he is a knight, you know."

Smiling at the looks of surprise at her statement, she taps her pointer against her cheek. "I was voted best actor when I was still a student, you know. Hopefully that throws Andrew's parents off, but, even if they don't have the advantage of seeing you in-person..." She looks lost in thought, then snaps back to attention. "Anyway! I'd like to know everything you do. Andrew, if you'd like to keep some of it secret, I'm not going to hold it against you if you'd like to go last, after the others finish. But I would like all of you to talk to me."

Andrew nods and shuffles a little bit back, looking at the floor. He opens his mouth, as if to speak, then closes it, pausing. After a brief, strained silence, he mutters, "They can stay, but I'd still like to go last."

Alex takes this as an invitation to speak, and he goes through much the same explanation he did with you two. After nervously concluding his explanation, he rubs his forearm nervously and glances sideways. Taking the cue, Ms. Amoline says, "Okay, one of you two?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20-1)[4]
    (1d20+2)[12]
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-24 at 03:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Al shrugs, also nervous at explaining this scheme to a teacher. I don't know how much we have to say. We wanted to talk to Andrew, see what was going on. Alex made it clear we needed a room like this, so we cooked up the plan about getting one of us in here with him and find out what was going on with him and his family. Looks like it worked both better and worse than we thought. I know we could have come to someone, but Sophos can't fight all our battles. We came here to learn to do things for ourselves, so we did.

28. - Top - End - #118

Earnie nodded his assent to Al's comments. Yup - plus, we heard that Andrew's parents might get mad at him for being here and not being mean - and we thought that, as friends, we ought to see if we could help. Turning to smile at Andrew, Earnie continued, I don't think it's right for your family to get mad at you because you're being nice - so what can we do to help?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Mrs. Amoline purses her lips, looking a bit torn. "I'd like to commend you on helping, but... the more people know, the more likely House Irbor is to find out. I can't exactly do anything about it now, but..." She sighs, and turns to Andrew. "Well, in any case. Andrew?"

Andrew, shuffling his feet, takes a few seconds to look up from the ground to Mrs. Amoline. He seems uncharacteristically unsure of himself, but after a moment, begins to speak quietly. "My family contacted me a few days ago, and have been keeping a close on eye on me since. They know what my results were on the book of gods, and they are... displeased. They've made it clear that if my results don't change, they'll disown me... and in House Irbor, that's means a lot more than just being kicked out of the house." He chuckles, without humor, then returns to speaking, a little stronger now. "I can't lie to my parents - literally, they have me under compulsion to speak the truth. They've taught me how to bypass that, but it doesn't always work yet, and that means they can just make me repeat something until it changes. I can make it impossible to tell which version is the truth, but not if they're watching me in person, and they'll know I'm lying to them in some way. I've come to you for help."

After contemplating for a moment, Mrs. Amoline nods at Andrew. "You know more about this school than you let on, don't you? Well, in any case, I can help you, but..." She looks at the other three students in the room, and frowns. "You three shouldn't be here for it. I'm not saying you can't help, but... again, the less you know, the better. Will you be satisfied if I promise we'll contact you if you can help?"
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-07-07 at 02:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Earnie's face fell more and more as Andrew described his situation. What a horrible thing for parents to do to their kid... Listening to Mrs. Amoline, Earnie thought for a moment, and then nodded. Yup, your word's good enough for me! turning to look back at Andrew, Earnie added, I hope this works out for you. And if it doesn't, well, I'm sure we'll think of something else! After all, it's what friends do.