New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Rogue One Teaser Trailer

Do you think comments on TFA would have been better if they had kept Poe involved?

So is this all a feint so the Empire can punitively punish the rebels they have no proof on otherwise?

Maybe holding family members hostage but they learn their family are already dead so they turn on their superiors and help complete their mission to give the Empire the important lesson on not screwing over their subordinates and in turn explain why Vader likes to kill Imperial Officer's who mess up because of what happened in Rogue One?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Face it, man, Star Wars is pretty unisex. Starships and character drama is a mix most people can enjoy by now.
    I'll take any excuse to post this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Check out the interview with the girl too. She loves of Darth Talon, plans to backstab Vader and generally makes the interviewer look like an idiot. It's adorable and hilarious.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Do you think comments on TFA would have been better if they had kept Poe involved?
    Poe pulling the destroyer stunts on Jakku would have been way more believable. They already established him as mister "I can fly anything" and he was established as being one of the best in the galaxy. Rey could be his copilot, and that'd solve basically all of the problems TFA had. Since Rey isn't also an ace pilot and needs other people to help her do something she can't on her own in a more overt sense. So when she busts out the crazy force-and-saber stuff it doesn't come off as her being maxed in all areas. She's just decent with machines and jury rigging and also happens to use the force.

Though I would still slice off most of the second half of rey vs kylo. She can hold her own then have the rift form. For her to thrash him that one-sidedly under any circumstances and then the rift form means it saves him, not her, and thus he can't be a threat because he has no real wins to level it out(poe is a regular dude mostly brought in by troopers and doesn't count. Vader killed Obi-Wan before he lost at the Death Star.)

Ultimately Rey isn't an unsalvigable character. It's just she moved too far and too fast for what she was meant to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Poe pulling the destroyer stunts on Jakku would have been way more believable. They already established him as mister "I can fly anything" and he was established as being one of the best in the galaxy. Rey could be his copilot, and that'd solve basically all of the problems TFA had. Since Rey isn't also an ace pilot and needs other people to help her do something she can't on her own in a more overt sense. So when she busts out the crazy force-and-saber stuff it doesn't come off as her being maxed in all areas. She's just decent with machines and jury rigging and also happens to use the force.

Though I would still slice off most of the second half of rey vs kylo. She can hold her own then have the rift form. For her to thrash him that one-sidedly under any circumstances and then the rift form means it saves him, not her, and thus he can't be a threat because he has no real wins to level it out(poe is a regular dude mostly brought in by troopers and doesn't count. Vader killed Obi-Wan before he lost at the Death Star.)

Ultimately Rey isn't an unsalvigable character. It's just she moved too far and too fast for what she was meant to be.
    I always wondered why Poe wasn't featured more in the film. He'd made the perfect guy to pilot the Millennium Falcon, and I really think he'd have rounded out the crew better. (Not to mention, I think Poe and Finn would have hit it off right off the bat.)

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I always wondered why Poe wasn't featured more in the film. He'd made the perfect guy to pilot the Millennium Falcon, and I really think he'd have rounded out the crew better. (Not to mention, I think Poe and Finn would have hit it off right off the bat.)
    Because he wasnt supposed to be an important character at first. He was supposed to die in the TIE crash.

Notice how he suddenly survived for no reason?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nonamearisto View Post
    They have plenty of time to build up Finn and/or downplay Rey. In the end, they probably won't have a choice. If they thought the OP Jedi girl was a selling point, they wouldn't have hid it, and as I said no one asked for an OP Jedi girl. Not to mention, an overpowered character isn't fun to watch, so they'd have to have her lose sooner or later, "useless mode" moments notwithstanding. And getting a limb cut off is a proud tradition in Star Wars. Maybe one of her legs this time? Plenty of hands get cut off, so it might be a nice change of pace :)
    This, however, ignores J.J Abram's 'Mystery Box' approach to film-making. The guy just likes to keep stuff secret. It's why he told everyone that Cumberbatch wasn't Khan. It's what he does. That, and if they thought that Rey wasn't a selling point, she wouldn't have been in the movie in the first place.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    Well, Zabraks could have issues with the wider public who only really know the movies. The only Zabrak that's widely known is Darth Maul, so it could get reactions of "hey, why's there a Darth Maul in the rebellion? Darth Mauls are bad guys!" from stupid people.
    ...there was a member of the same species on the jedi council for the entire trilogy.

They don't normally look like that. Darth Maul is a mutant who's entire body is covered in jagged tattoos and corrupted by the dark side. The normal ones look significantly different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    Yes, I know. What I meant was that if I took my mum to see Rogue One and there was character somewhat resembling Darth Maul, that would be her reaction. She doesn't know any of the EU media and won't remember bit-part characters, but will remember a significant character that was featured extensively in the marketing. Unless the Zabrak really didn't resemble Maul (as per the linked characters) and she didn't make the association at all.
    Zabrak do not look like Maul. While some may have skin that looks kind of mottled, its usually tattoos.

Maul is a Zabrak who was raised by Dathomiri witches, which is why he looks that way. Hes got a bunch of black tattooing just like the Night Sisters. Otherwise hes just red.

As an interesting note, the novelization of TFA has her basically using Dark Rage in that fight, which is why she beats the living crap out of Ren so bad, as (to put it in game terms) hes at half HP and at like a -3 on the condition track, while shes more or less at full and just buffed herself.

Hell you can even kind of see it in the movie. Ya she isnt foaming at the mouth or anything, but her attacks where just plan vicious. She was in a cold fury.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2016-04-10 at 09:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

8. - Top - End - #218
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Zabrak do not look like Maul. While some may have skin that looks kind of mottled, its usually tattoos.

Maul is a Zabrak who was raised by Dathomiri witches, which is why he looks that way. Hes got a bunch of black tattooing just like the Night Sisters. Otherwise hes just red.
    He might actually be a human/Zabrak hybrid:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dathomirian/Legends

though it's not clear just how much of that is being kept for the newcanon. Still, the Databank does refer to both him and Talzin as "Species: Dathomirian" whereas others might be "Species: Zabrak" (Agen Kolar) or "Species: Human" (Sabine Wren).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2016-04-10 at 10:17 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #219

It just harks back to the original point i made: wanting Aliens for Alienness's sakes.

Its a costly process that makes everything more complicated on the production PoV, for.. Nothing of proper value except a generic alienness feeling to the piece.

Thats not smart television/filmmaking. Hence my example of the Prequels' abuse of fancy schmancy aliens that turned out to be one massive useless pile of crap beside the initial "ohhhhh.. He is an alien!" Feeling.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    It just harks back to the original point i made: wanting Aliens for Alienness's sakes.

Its a costly process that makes everything more complicated on the production PoV, for.. Nothing of proper value except a generic alienness feeling to the piece.

Thats not smart television/filmmaking. Hence my example of the Prequels' abuse of fancy schmancy aliens that turned out to be one massive useless pile of crap beside the initial "ohhhhh.. He is an alien!" Feeling.
    Except that it does serve a purpose. The Rebellion was supposed to be full of aliens and right now its not. Also, its frelling Star Wars! If i wanted to watch humans fight other humans and robots id go watch Battlestar Galactica.

I again point out that Star Trek had Worf for like 11 seasons and he was great. I want something like that, lets get a main character who isn't human and who we can understand.

Hell lets get some Duros in there, it'd probably be a mask with some green makeup on the bottom half of the face, so it isnt ridiculous, and Duros are everywhere in Star Wars. IIRC they are the second most prevalent species.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2016-04-10 at 11:15 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221

Hell lets get some Duros in there, it'd probably be a mask with some green makeup on the bottom half of the face, so it isnt ridiculous, and Duros are everywhere in Star Wars. IIRC they are the second most prevalent species.
    TFA had alien Resistance pilots, at least.

Maybe Rogue One, and Episode VIII, can both have L'ulo, if he doesn't die in the Poe Dameron comics:

L'ulo
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2016-04-10 at 11:23 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    TFA had alien Resistance pilots, at least.

Maybe Rogue One, and Episode VIII, can both have L'ulo, if he doesn't die in the Poe Dameron comics:

L'ulo
    Yes it did, and i thought that was a great improvement.

I need to read his page more, but im all for this.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223

Except that it does serve a purpose. The Rebellion was supposed to be full of aliens and right now its not. Also, its frelling Star Wars! If i wanted to watch humans fight other humans and robots id go watch Battlestar Galactica.

I again point out that Star Trek had Worf for like 11 seasons and he was great. I want something like that, lets get a main character who isn't human and who we can understand.

The original point was to have real aliens. Not rubber foreheads like Worf.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

And so another thread takes a nosedive into "This movie sucks because it has a female main character! Girls can't be action heroes! If a guy does regular action hero things then it's fine, if a woman does it it's the end of the world! Mary Sue! Selling out! Pandering! Ruining my childhood!"

I would be stupid enough to go into another Media Discussions thread. Talk about never learning. Well, maybe I'll remember to stay away for at least a week this time.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

If the first teaser was three squiggly lines and a red circle the internet would have still speculated to hell and back.
    I'm sick of circles. "Ooo, look at me! I'm so mathematically perfect and important and everybody loves me!"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

The massive and to me inordinate popularity of Darth Maul suggests otherwise. The only reason he's popular is thanks to a kinetic performance and a cool alien design. And it's not just having a trained stunt artist, as no one else Ray Park has played has half the fanbase Maul enjoys.

People didn't like the aliens in Star Wars prequels because they were employed in an empty gimmicky manner. By your argument Yoda should have been played by a human as nothing he does explicitly requires an alien, but his diminutive green visage did indeed add something to Empire Strikes Back. It's just excessively reductionist as an argument. Maybe we shouldn't ever have any new ships and simply recycle all the old technology designs, as that's just tech stuff for tech sake. Your argument sounds very similar to the old television shows that recycled their background dressing for each world.

Smart money is good for the now. But iconicisim, having something stand the test of time and engender Nostalgia often requires the fussy. The weird for the sake of the mileu. People like that, however much it lacks in production efficiency.

You can't develop a character who is already overpowered without making said character even more OP.
    A character's psyche =/= their physical capabilities. The inner world is not bound to mirror the outer one. That's just a convenient simplicity occasionally followed by more simplistic dramatic fair and more interactive mediums. Films are not video games where the main character needs to be nerfed for the sake of competitive balance. That's only valid if the conflict is purely visceral.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

The original point was to have real aliens. Not rubber foreheads like Worf.
    Except that i've named off 4 alien species that are that, so they exist, are a part of the canon, and people like them. So why not add a few?

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    A character's psyche =/= their physical capabilities. The inner world is not bound to mirror the outer one. That's just a convenient simplicity occasionally followed by more simplistic dramatic fair and more interactive mediums. Films are not video games where the main character needs to be nerfed for the sake of competitive balance. That's only valid if the conflict is purely visceral.
    I agree. Honestly i dont even consider Rey the main character in TFA, that seems more like Fin. Now that i think about it TFA had something similar to The Empire Strikes back going on in that Fin (who is not the main protagonist, much like Han) took center stage for a fair chunk instead of Rey (our resident force user, much like Luke). Just something i find interesting.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2016-04-10 at 12:18 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    And so another thread takes a nosedive into "This movie sucks because it has a female main character! Girls can't be action heroes! If a guy does regular action hero things then it's fine, if a woman does it it's the end of the world! Mary Sue! Selling out! Pandering! Ruining my childhood!"

I would be stupid enough to go into another Media Discussions thread. Talk about never learning. Well, maybe I'll remember to stay away for at least a week this time.

I've been a Star Wars fan for nearly 39 years now. It's not since I was a child that I felt an explosion of joy and excitement and creativity in Star Wars fandom like I did for TFA. It is a very, very good time to be a Star Wars fan—and it is a very good time to be a fan of female protagonists. I saw about ten Rey cosplayers at Arisia; I'm told there were at least twenty at Comic Con. Her action figures disappeared off the shelves faster than anyone else's. Daisy Ridley (as as well as John Boyega and Oscar Isaac) has charmed audiences all over the world, to the point that there are rumors that VIII was rewritten to focus more on the leads from VII. Even so, there is a small subset of fandom that insists that TFA met with broad critical success and made two billion dollars despite Rey, not because of her, a sour core of grumblers who insist against all evidence that "the fans" won't stomach female protagonists. They are much louder in internet fora and on gameable rating sites than in the actual moviegoing audience, or even in the larger world of fandom, where the majority were charmed by Rey, understood that the Force Awakening in a Star Wars protagonist does not make them a Mary Sue, watched the Rogue One trailer with a pounding, joyful heart instead of pouting irrelevantly that two movies in a row had the same gender protagonist (the chances of which, in a fair world, would be 50%). You have to either squint a lot or live in an internet echo chamber to believe that Star Wars fandom as a whole has not been happily swept away by Rey.

That won't stop their complaining, or their dogged insistence that they are the silent majority who are going to speak out Any Minute Now. (The Return of Kings misogynist website claims that their boycott cost TFA all of two tenths of a percent of ticket sales, and even so those claims are obviously overstated.) The rest of us will just be over here with our wildly successful movie, delighted that Lucasfilm and Kathy Kennedy have decided to open up the GFFA to a wider world that doesn't have a core of sullen, cynical grumblers as the self-declared TruFans.
    Last edited by jere7my; 2016-04-10 at 01:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

So I had a random thought.

"What will you do when they caatch you?
    What will you do when they break you?
    What will you become?"

The villian is a high ranking ISB agent.

...I'm thinking Isard, Seinor. Yssane Isard would be his daughter.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

"I am your father" is not character drama. Luke wanted to be like his father, to emulate the man he thought his father was, and to become a Jedi like him. That nice image blew up when he learned the terrible truth, and he spent the next movie trying to redeem his father, ultimately becoming a Jedi as he was. It's not "character drama", but the entire key to the trilogy:
    It's also character drama, which the trilogy is centered around (albeit somewhat retroactively in regards to A New Hope. Consider the cast, all of whom are pretty close to straight archetypes, and all of whom are fairly interconnected. On top of that, there's the way the prequels went out of their way to add personal connections where they weren't before. This is particularly noticeable when you compare it to the material A New Hope pulled from, none of which played up the connections as much. A short list:

Luke Skywalker - The Cambellian hero, who goes through a textbook iteration of the monomyth. Also, he just happens to be Darth Vader's son and Leia's brother.
    Obi Wan Kenobi - The mentor, who mentors the protagonist in a standard fashion. He also happens to have trained Darth Vader, back in the day.
    Han Solo - The foil and redeemed anti hero, who just happens to know Lando Calrissian and Jaba The Hutt, both of whom get dragged in.
    C3PO & R2D2 - The bumbling comic relief duo who also provide eyes on the ground for the actions of the larger than life characters around them. Originally, that's all they were, but the prequels went out of their way to retcon that, with C3PO suddenly having been built by Darth Vader as a child, and R2D2 as his ship combat droid from a young age.
    Darth Vader - The black knight, who gets tied in to most of the cast in one way or another.
    Boba Fett - Initially, a minor antagonist hired by Vader. The prequels then have him be the son of a man who fought with Obi Wan in the previous war, which changes the interaction between him and Luke from a fight between the protagonist and a dangerous opponent to a generationally displaced rematch, where Boba Fett tries to kill the protege of the man who slew his father and mentor.
    Emperor Palpatine - The evil emperor, who is initially just an evil emperor. Again though, the prequels tie him in in a big way, where he suddenly has history with Obi Wan and Vader.
    Yoda - Another mentor, this time playing a pretty archetypical eccentric mentor. Oh, and he also has personal history with Vader, has personally fought Palpatine, and also gets tied in to Obi Wan, all in the prequels. He's another bit character on the edges who gets more woven in, because that's what Star Wars does.

Star Wars is a series that involves a massive galactic war, but where the themes typically associated with massive wars in fiction (e.g. them being much bigger than any individual, the inability of one person to affect the war much, etc.) are gone, replaced with the war being a backdrop to a small conflict involving a small central cast which is intricately tied together in blatant defiance of the scale involved. The way the movies works supports this reading. The myth of fathers and sons? Not so much. There's too much else going on, and then there's the small matter of how in the prequels Anakin's father is outright absent.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    The massive and to me inordinate popularity of Darth Maul suggests otherwise. The only reason he's popular is thanks to a kinetic performance and a cool alien design. And it's not just having a trained stunt artist, as no one else Ray Park has played has half the fanbase Maul enjoys.

People didn't like the aliens in Star Wars prequels because they were employed in an empty gimmicky manner. By your argument Yoda should have been played by a human as nothing he does explicitly requires an alien, but his diminutive green visage did indeed add something to Empire Strikes Back. It's just excessively reductionist as an argument. Maybe we shouldn't ever have any new ships and simply recycle all the old technology designs, as that's just tech stuff for tech sake. Your argument sounds very similar to the old television shows that recycled their background dressing for each world.
    It's not that it's cool alien design so much as that it's just solid design in general. The aliens are absolutely part of the milieu, and in major places, but their designs are there to shore up their archetypes, and the same thing is seen in other places. Yoda starts out as the bizarre and eccentric mentor, and him being an almost child like alien who looks and moves in strange ways works beautifully for this. R2D2 and C3PO are both the comic relief characters and the average eyes on the ground, and them being physically dissimilar and both bumbling in their own way really helps sell this. Darth Maul is supposed to be mysterious and imposing, and he's a hooded figure that fights with a strange weapon while also using a spike heavy red and black focused character design. Chewie is the oddball sidekick, and so he's a bit odd and out of place. There's a trend of deliberate iconography done very well, and it continues elsewhere.

Take the planets. Tattoine is supposed to be a desolate and dangerous backwater, and so we see an inhospitable desert strewn with sandstorms, severely lacking in high technology. It's an immediately recognizable location. Similarly, Hoth is also supposed to communicate inhospitality, providing contrast between where the rebels are forced to establish their base and what the imperials have access to. Again, it works beautifully in this purpose. Star Wars is not a series where you ever see things like a nondescript plains planet, and that's very deliberate. Then there's what the ships communicate, particularly the Death Star. The incredibly big ship that practically tracks Luke's journey is played up in every way, making it one of the more iconic ships in the series.

Then there's the small matter of Darth Vader. He's a futuristic black knight archetype, and everything about the character just oozes that. The style of the armor, the voice, the way Vader stands and moves in every scene he's in, all of it emphasizes who he is. In a series full of well realized archetypes, Vader still stands out.

With that being how aliens are generally used, is it pretty essential that they show up in some role? Absolutely. Is the role of the protagonist one well suited to an alien? Probably not, for most protagonists, but if they're going for something shot through the view of an outsider who ends up essential, that could work. A rebel with deep established animosity to the empire, who ends up in such a central role? Maybe not so much.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree. Honestly i dont even consider Rey the main character in TFA, that seems more like Fin. Now that i think about it TFA had something similar to The Empire Strikes back going on in that Fin (who is not the main protagonist, much like Han) took center stage for a fair chunk instead of Rey (our resident force user, much like Luke). Just something i find interesting.
    I've noticed this happening a lot in stories lately, where the story may be about one character, but the main character is not always who the story is about. It definitely is interesting.

It looks like the next story might focus on Rey more? I hope that Fin comes back soon though, he was really fun, and I liked the interactions between him and Rey. (I also hope that it stays away from romance, I'd really like to see more stories where a male and female character have a strong platonic relationship rather than a romantic one)

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    So I had a random thought.

"What will you do when they caatch you?
    What will you do when they break you?
    What will you become?"

The villian is a high ranking ISB agent.

...I'm thinking Isard, Seinor. Yssane Isard would be his daughter.
    I'm still not 100% sure that they are ISB, and not a Grand Admiral - there's a lot of speculation going at the moment.

Armand Isard is in the Newcanon (Tarkin novel) though - so I wouldn't rule him out.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Sadly, to Hollywood, women as equals is them being demi gods. But there is still some slight hope they might make her just ''normal tough''.
    If she were substituted with a male actor in the teaser, would you question anything about the depiction of the character at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I don't know, the whole Storm Trooper armour thing has the strong sense of "The goggles do nothing!" to it. Despite the wiki claiming they can stop projectile weapons, I'm fairly certain Ewok arrows and lightly thrown teddy bear-sized rocks managed to inflict serious damage to them.
    Actually if you watch the initial ambush in Return of the Jedi, we see Ewok arrows just bouncing off of stormtrooper back plates; the single guy that was killed by arrows on screen was a scout trooper shot in the neck through his body glove, between the plates.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2016-04-10 at 03:02 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post

Actually if you watch the initial ambush in Return of the Jedi, we see Ewok arrows just bouncing off of stormtrooper back plates; the single guy that was killed by arrows on screen was a scout trooper shot in the neck through his body glove, between the plates.
    What about the analyses done here?

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWtrooparmor.html
    http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWtrooparrowcaps.html
    http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWtrooparrow.html

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    If she were substituted with a male actor in the teaser, would you question anything about the depiction of the character at all?
    Of course not. But that is the big problem with one sided Hollywood: Males=normal and Anything Else=special. And this has only gotten worse over the years....

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post

I'm not against a female protagonist, what I see as a problem is some errors in the plot.
    Keeping Poe involved means he recognises the Falcon so he drags them inside what is otherwise seen as a wreck as the TIEs take out what they see as the trio's obvious means of escape.

After successfully escaping with Rey busy making sure the ship can actually get them where they're going, Poe meets up with Han and the film continues as seen with them heading to Takodana where he contacts Leia so we then discover she heads away from the capital with the help of retiring Admiral Ackbar whose using the opportunity to use the soon to be decommissioned Home One as he escorts Leia to Takodana.

I still think Rey is Ezra Bridger's daughter, if he remains in the dark side by end of star wars rebels let alone survives if that's the part in episode 8 being played by the same actor who played the Collector in GOTG then we've got a pretty good reason why she's so talented in the force.
    And the reason why she was left there for her own protection much like Luke & Leia were in the OT of course this would make her the Luke of the New Trilogy.

Spoiler
    Show
    IF this is the case do you think Snoke will hand over training of Kylo to Ezra and upon learning about Rey he takes a personal interest leading to an eventual encounter between both sets of master and padawan?

Still wish they didn't play the Mystery Box so much as it really wasn't necessary.

I'd love them to reveal Finn as a Skywalker, but I'm hoping he's a Leonis simply as another link to Star Wars Rebels, but for now lets get back to the subject of this thread ok?

Looks great, a lot more information which is even better and looking forward to seeing how they handle this!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2016-04-10 at 03:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Ya, Stormtrooper armor is only good against Solid Projectile weapons, its fairly lousy against most other things.
    And the data about that mostly came from the EU - which stressed how slugthrower-resistant it was. In Young Jedi Knights a guy, to make a point against an obnoxious stormtrooper trainee, threw a spear at him with all the strength of his mechanical arm, and it hurled the victim back, yet barely marked the armour.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2016-04-10 at 03:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    I've noticed this happening a lot in stories lately, where the story may be about one character, but the main character is not always who the story is about. It definitely is interesting.

It looks like the next story might focus on Rey more? I hope that Fin comes back soon though, he was really fun, and I liked the interactions between him and Rey. (I also hope that it stays away from romance, I'd really like to see more stories where a male and female character have a strong platonic relationship rather than a romantic one)
    I'm sure we're all aware that Finn and Poe are the one true pairing that will get together in Episode 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'd consider anything from that site to be extremely suspect, as much as I would anything from Stardestroyer.net. Both of them are notorious for their 'evidence' and 'analysis' being biased as all heck.

30. - Top - End - #240

True dat. Question is - have any "neutral parties" ever done the same kind of analysis on that scene?

A person can be biased as all heck - and yet still (sometimes) accurate. I don't know if it's true in that case though.