New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Shadow of the Crimson Sun II

Alton puts his mark on the scroll, confirming the purchase and transaction.

When told Thujune Stoutcask's list of magic items, he says, "Nice." He takes out his notebook, quill, and ink, and writes the list down. Then he puts those items away, back in his backpack.

He then says to the clerk, "All right, what if I wanted to know or be told when someone asked about my list?"

"Could I pay the goblin store to do that?"

"Also, do you have Oil of Silence? Like, to magically blanket an area in complete silence?"

"If you do, I want three doses. How much?"

If the goblin store does stock Oil of Silence, he arranges to pay for them, again out of his store account and smiles tightly. He had learned from fighting Bor the Loud how important it is to force an enemy bard to shut up.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm assuming Oil of Silence exists and that it produces an area effect like the original Silence spell.
    Oil of Silence is not in the DMG, so I don't want to assume.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-07-26 at 12:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272

Goblin clerk "Sure we can tell you for a price. We charge ten gold for that, per day. Double if you don't want us to tell how asked that we will tell how they asked about..hehe.

We don't carry silence stuff. It is one of the magics we are forbidden to sell in our charter, like teleport stuff. They like the fights noisy. "

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton bites back a cry of horror at learning that the goblin store will tell him who asked about his magic items only at a daily rate. He hates such charges; he far prefers flat rates. They don't make him as nervous about being pauperized by time passing.

He nods in disappointment but understanding that the goblin store doesn't sell Silence magics.

Alton grumpily says, "I'll think about it, then. I'll take the potion of Bull's Strength. Oh, and I need to withdraw 200 more gold."

After the transactions are complete and Alton has the 200 in gold coins, the newly purchased potions, and the platinum rings, he goes to Izora and asks, "Izora, by any chance do you have a prepared Silence spell today?"

Alton figures that his remaining prepared spells, the Delay Poison and Magic Vestment already cast, and potions of Haste and Protection from Evil should make it easy for him to defeat and kill Thujune Stoutcask. But he worries about the major unknown variable: the halfling's spells.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Total costs: 150 + 100 + 101 + 300 + 200 = 851.

On-person gold goes from 180 to 380. Store account gold goes from 70,199.9 to 69,348.9.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-07-27 at 05:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274

The goblin clerk sorts through the scrolls, withdraws the gold coins and deducts for the potion and has you note everything.

golin clerk "Thank you for your business"

Izora shakes her head no, "It is not a spell I normally prepare."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton says, "Ah well."

More softly, he mutters, "Gonna have to do this the hard way then."

As he walks towards where Thujune Stoutcask is, Alton considers various options:

Delay? But he needs the power granted by the favor of Tempus as soon as possible. The longer he delays, the more often he might have to purchase Potions of Death Ward, at ruinous expense.

Try to ask Rendrin Halfmoon or even Zuikaku Shadoweagle? Alton frowns and shudders, respectively.

When he can see Thujune Stoutcask, he looks to see how many friendly-looking gladiators are near Thujune, and how they are armed and armored.

Show
    As per above, check out weapons and armor of those who are close enough to be possibly friendly to Thujune.

6. - Top - End - #276

Thujune Stoutcask is surrounded by a large crowd of gladiators. He moves around and talks and laughs with all and seems very social. Three halflings in leather armor and two shorts swords each follow Thujune, staying with in a couple steps, but not talking to him or laughing.

About half the gladiators everywhere are armed and armored.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton feels a thrill of fear but also excitement: More enemies means more glory and blood to offer to Tempus.

He ducks into the nearest private spot and casts Detect Magic, then emerges and watches to see if any of the halflings accompanying Thujune as apparent bodyguards have red feet fur. He scans them, too.

Could be Blood Foots, he thinks. Rogues with that nasty sneak attack that nearly killed me last time.

He waits a bit to see if Thujune ever moves away from most other people. He'd prefer not to fight in a crowd if he can avoid it, though he might almost be willing to.

Show
    Look to see if the halflings, including Thujune, have red feet fur.

Cast Detect Magic. Scan the bodyguards and Thujune.

Wait a while, maybe 10 minutes, for Thujune to maybe go to a less-dense part of the arena.

Show
    It's occurred to me that Tempus is one of the few gods wherein mere mechanical XP won through combat translates very palatably into IC divine favor for a cleric who worships him.

Question: I've been meaning to ask this, but I keep forgetting: Are there any gladiators with animal companions, like wolves or cats or dinosaurs?

I figure there must be some rangers and druids among the slaves, but they may or may not be able to keep, much less feed, their companions.

Asking mostly because I haven't figured out yet how to exploit the ring of Animal Friendship.

8. - Top - End - #278

None of the four halflings have red feet, they are all natural colored.

Thujune Stoutcask stays with the crowd, and is very social.

Thujune Stoutcask 's short sword's and daggers glow with weak evocation, and his clothing all glows with weak transmutation. He plays a small metal flute from time to time that glows with weak enchantment.

The three other halflings with him all thier short swords glow with weak evocation, and their leather armors glow with weak transmutation.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

There are no animals anywhere that you have ever seen. The only animal was the octopus...

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton frowns, feeling uneasy. He looks real friendly, he thinks. Was Toka wrong or lying, or did the scary little halflling just catch rumor that I might be after him, and now he's being sociable to forestall my attack?

The prospect of fighting so many does not daunt him; it just makes him more excited and ambitious. It's the social consequences that bother him.

He walks away and looks for Jevin Oarthon. On the way, he whispers to his spirit guide, "Aluendale, I got Delay Poison and Magic Vestment running. If I choose to fight, I'll probably run Bull's Strength, Divine Favor, Aid, Body Blades, and Magic Circle Against Evil."

"I'd also drink potions of Haste and Sonic Shield."

"So tell me straight: Am I tactically or strategically dumb for seeking to fight so many in addition to Thujune Stoutcask?"

Alton braces himself for possibly being called an idiot like Aluendale called Bor the Loud, after the half-orc's grisly death by octopus.

Once he finds Jevin Oarthon, he says, "Hail, Jevin. I wanted to thank you for your hard work." He hands Jevin 50 gold.

"Could you tell me about Thujune Stoutcask?"

"Toka says he's the most annoying little halfling bard ever, and that he keeps getting into fights, but he's looking real friendly right now. Could you give me your opinion?"

Show
    Give Jevin Oarthon 50 gold.

Show
    I'd completely forgotten Alton still has Magic Circle Against Evil prepared. The potion of PfE seems a bit redundant now. Oh well.

Feel kind of sad for any ranger or druid gladiators, without their animals. They lose a nontrivial part of their prowess that way.

10. - Top - End - #280

Aluendale Maendellyn "Well, that is a lot of magic. Against at least four opponents you don't know much about. Though your a powerful warrior, you might be able to take them all. I think it might be a glorious fight. "

Jevin Oarthon takes the gold and slips it into his belt pouch. "Thujune Stoutcask? Yea, he is very annoying. Never shuts up. Has a big mouth. Spreads lies and rumors, you name it. I mean, he is really nice. But you know he is like bad ale, you know after you drink it you get a bad after taste."

Show

Yea, the poor druids and rangers...lol

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton asks, "Could you tell me about the 3 halflings that accompany him everywhere? Are they just regular fighters, or can they do that nasty sneak attack trick where they stab you in vital organs?"

He also asks, "What do you think the response would be if someone, oh, just up and killed Thujune Stoutcask?"

12. - Top - End - #282

Jevin Oarthon
    "He calls them his fans...lol. They are just sword fighters as far as I know.

I guess half of everyone would be happy and half of everyone upset. Some do like him...but he is annoying."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Continuing the subvocalized conversation, Alton inaudibly says to Aluendale, "It's risky, but how else to earn the favor of Tempus and get me the authority to cast Death Ward on my own? Buying from the goblins every 3 days is a losing tactic."

"Converting a soul to the worship of Tempus is worth it. Besides: I like thwarting the wishes of a Red Wizard."

Out loud, Alton says to Jevin Oarthon, "Mmm. Do you know anyone who has fought Thujune and survived to tell about it?"

"Or even someone who has witnessed a serious fight with Thujune? I want to know what magics he can cast and tricks he can employ."

14. - Top - End - #284

Aluendale Maendellyn"Nothing wrong with a risky fight. Just don't bite more then you can chew."

Jevin Oarthon"Well, sure I have seen him fight. I don't think he uses magic. He plays a flute. And cuts people with is sword. and tumbles. "

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

The combination of Aluendale's warnings and Jevin's vagueness makes Alton's eagerness to confront Thujune Stoutcask today collapse. His shoulders slump.

"Thanks, Jevin." He trudges away, looking for a private spot near Ysana Pster, where he can cast spells.

While he walks, he mutters to his spirit guide, "Aluendale, I got a few questions."

"Do you think Silence is safe to cast here? I mean, will someone think I'm a cleric for having it on when I fight Thujune?"

"Would Tempus be okay with my getting someone else to kill other gladiators for me, like take the blame for it? Evading responsibility for killing is Chaotic, right?"

"Is Tempus okay with summoning something to attack a prospective opponent, just so I can see how he or she reacts in combat? And would that be safe to use here, if I take the time to walk away from the summoned creature before it shows itself?"

Once he finds a private spot, Alton begins casting: Magic Circle Against Evil, Bull's Strength, Aid. He casts Magic Weapon on his masterwork battleaxe. He drinks a potion of Haste. He casts Divine Favor last of all.

Once the spells are cast and the potion is imbibed, Alton draws his masterwork battleaxe and walks with unusual swiftness to where Yanasa and her possible allies are.

"Hey. Yanasa Pster, right? I hear tell you have a magic ring."

"Someone really wants it. I'd appreciate it if you gave it to me."
    Alton smiles in what he hopes is a winning fashion.

Show
    Delay Poison and Magic Vestment are still in effect.

Cast spells and drink potion of Haste as above. Divine Favor is cast last, since it only lasts 1 minute.

Bull's Strength + Aid + Haste + Magic Weapon + Divine Favor give extra +6/+5 to attack/damage when using the masterwork battleaxe.

Haste and Magic Vestment each gives +1 to AC, for a total of 24. If attacker is evil, MCAE gives extra +1 to AC (its deflection bonus does not stack with ring of protection +1).

Aid: (1d8+6)[13]

To convince Yanasa to give up the magic ring Nradet Darkbrain wants: Diplomacy: (1d20+1)[8]

Show
    Alton doesn't know if Yanasa or any allies she has are evil, but since he has it prepared, might as well use it.

Link to Alton's spell list for today is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=164

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Alton Maggot
    Male Chaotic Neutral Human Cleric, Level 6, Init 7, HP 55/55, Speed 20
    AC 22, Touch 12, Flat-footed 21, Fort 8, Ref 3, Will 8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    masterwork battleaxe +8 (1d8+2, x3)
    +1 vicious battleaxe +8 (1d8+3, x3)
    +1 dissolving club +7 (1d6+3, x2)
    Leather Armor of Death Ward, Heavy wooden shield (+8 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 11
    Condition None

16. - Top - End - #286

Aluendale Maendellyn "People would sure notice no sounds from a fight. Tempus has no problem with you having fellow warriors, but who cares about the blame. Tempus is not big on responsibility, as you might have guessed. And getting others to fight for any reason is just fine.

Tempus is fine with summoning creatures, you can cast the spells after all. Probing an opponents strengths and weaknesses is good strategy. But, summoning something in here would be a huge magic flare. You'd set off the wards for sure, so they would notice Though, guess the reaction could be anything....they might see you summon a monster and not care, but maybe not. In any case it would out you as a cleric. "

-----

Yanasa Pster "My ring? I got two rings, and they are mine...you can have them...if you pry them from my cold dead fingers." Yanasa draws her long sword and short sword and froms an ''x'' in front of her.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton laughs. He lies, "Fine with me." He has no intention of slaying Yanasa Pster; he just wants to whack her with his battleaxe until the eyes roll up in her head and she falls unconscious.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+7)[21]

Show
    Alton's speed is usually 20 due to encumbrance. Goes up to 30 when his strength is boosted, as it is now.

18. - Top - End - #288

Initiative

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

(1d20+5)[12]

Yanasa Pster "My blood to your blood!"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton charges, crying out, "Tempus!"

He swings at Yanasa Pster twice, using only the flat blade of his battlexe, trusting in the preternatural might granted him by all the spells and other magics on him to grant him victory despite the problems of using a lethal weapon in a non-lethal manner.

Show
    As per above, +6/+5 extra bonuses. Charge, so +2 to attack, -2 to AC. Non-lethal damage, so -4 to attack. Power Attack in full: -3/+3.

Total extra modifiers this round therefore: +1/+8. AC 22 this round, not counting any bonus from MCAE. However, Yanasa is caught flat-footed.

Attack with masterwork battleaxe (non-lethal): (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage with masterwork battleaxe: (1d8+11)[13]

Attack with masterwork battleaxe (non-lethal): (1d20+9)[13]
    Damage with masterwork battleaxe: (1d8+11)[17]

Show
    Please let me know which attacks hit, so I can gauge whether to use Power Attack or not, etc.

20. - Top - End - #290

Show
    Only the first attack hits..

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton grins as one of his blows land. He braces himself for Yanasa's counterattack.

With his peripheral vision, he watches to see if anyone else joins Yanasa in attacking him.

Show
    Thanks. Yanasa's actions now.

22. - Top - End - #292

Everyone around lines up and makes a circle to watch the fight...but no one you see is coming forward to attack or join the fight.

Yanasa Pster swings both her swords around in circles and strikes...

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+7)[15] (1d8+3)[9] (1d6)[6]

(1d20+7)[8] (1d6+2)[8] (1d6)[3]

Each of her swords gets covered in a sheath of acid as she swings...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton frowns a little, losing his smile, as he notices acid on the blades. But Yanasa's swords all bounce and clang off his Gauntlets, so he smiles a little again.

He gives her another 2 careful whacks with the flat of his battleaxe.

Show
    Non-lethal attacks as before, but no Power Attack or Charge. Total extra bonuses +2/+5.

Non-lethal attack with masterwork battleaxe: (1d20+10)[22]
    Damage with masterwork battleaxe: (1d8+7)[15]

Non-lethal attack with masterwork battleaxe: (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage with masterwork battleaxe: (1d8+7)[9]

24. - Top - End - #294

Alton hits twice, slapping her good on both sided of her head.

Yanasa Pster swings both her swords around in circles and strikes...

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+7)[24] (1d8+3)[6] (1d6)[2]

(1d20+7)[27] (1d6+3)[7] (1d6)[2]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton winces as one of the short swords bites deeply into him, but he keeps grinning. His Aid spell filled him with supernatural vitality, and the wound cut into that only. The wound does not bleed nearly as much as it should.

He says mockingly, "So, how bad is it living with a name like Pster? Sounds a lot like Piss-ter."

Show
    Yanasa got a 20. Need to roll to confirm crit, plus possible extra damage.

Question: Did the 24 hit? It would have if Yanasa is not evil. If she is, Alton's MCA Evil makes his AC 25 against her.

Alton got 13 temporary HP from his Aid spell.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-08-10 at 12:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296

Show

She is evil.

crit roll (1d20+7)[20]

Yanasa Pster shrugs "It is my name."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton's grin widens as he notices Yanasa Pster's second sword strike divert just enough to miss him. Evil, he thinks.

He smacks some more at Yanasa with the flat of his battleaxe. He expects her to fall soon, but she's doing much better than he expected.

Suddenly a thought strikes him: I detected no magic on her, but her swords make acid like my club.

She must have a magic item that negates divinations! Maybe that's what her ring or rings do.

Show
    Same actions and modifiers as before. Stop if and when Yanasa goes unconscious from too much non-lethal damage.

Non-lethal attack with masterwork battleaxe: (1d20+10)[30]
    Damage with masterwork battleaxe: (1d8+7)[10]

Non-lethal attack with masterwork battleaxe: (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage with masterwork battleaxe: (1d8+7)[15]

Show
    Thanks. Given only the 27 hit, Alton is still at full HP with 4 temporary HP.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton hits Yanasa really hard and accurately....

Spoiler: To confirm critical
    Show
    Non-lethal attack with masterwork battleaxe: (1d20+10)[12]
    Damage with masterwork battleaxe: (2d8+14)[29]

29. - Top - End - #299

Yanasa Pster take both axe hits to the head...stumbles and falls to the ground unconscious.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton looks around to see if anyone objects to his behavior and actions, keeping hold of his axe to strike.

If no one seems interested in interfering, Alton hangs up his shield and axe and starts to search Yanasa Pster's unconscious body, looking for rings but also for any other possible magic item that may be the source of his odd inability to sense the magic in Yanasa's swords.

Show
    If no one comes closer with intent to object, search Yanasa's body.