New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Shadow of the Crimson Sun II

Alton's eyes pop open. He sits up and begins cursing a red streak, vile epithets, directed mostly at himself. The shame and guilt of having lost a battle, even a friendly one, and receiving mercy from his opponent, are worse than any physical pain he has ever suffered.

He feels that he has failed the Lord of Battles, though in truth he cannot remember it exactly being a sin to lose. It just feels really really wrong.

Once he runs out of curses, he says to Bor, "Thanks."

He sighs. "I owe you a debt. How can I repay?"

"If you like, I'll be honest with you and explain what my plan is and how it can benefit you. The details of how I intend to get you free."

"Or you can claim one of my magic items. You can have any of them except these gauntlets, which are holy to Tempus."

Alton sounds really grumpy about it.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Up to 12/45.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I suppose. Anyway, it's a nice song, one I'd never heard before. Underwood isn't played here much.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-05-01 at 02:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62

Bor the Loud "There is no debt, we have an agreement of honor. I believe you said kill you and take all your stuff, not just one magic item. "

Brugg and Tomok look back when Alton falls to the ground, but don't move when they see his is still alive and moving.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton looks annoyed, but he nods. He's not really materialistic anyway, and to renege on a duel-deal would offend Tempus.

He says, "You interested in the stuff itself, or can I buy at least some of 'em back with coin?"

"I still want you as my ally, though. Despite my sinfully poor showing in this fight, I still believe I can assure you of a better chance of getting free than by escaping."

Either way, he begins to strip off his armor and weapons and stuff.

Show
    Offer Bor all his stuff, unless he accepts the offer to ransom Alton's stuff.

Hopefully not including clothes (artisan's outfit), but including that if necessary.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-05-01 at 03:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Bor the Loud "I do not have much interest in stuff. Other then stuff I can use. Coins only have a use of buying things needed. I'm willing to sell back stuff for coins, or information or aid. "

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton pauses in removing and setting out all the equipment and magic items he has accumulated to stare warily at Bor the Loud. Then he says with sincerity, "You are generous. Thank you."

He points out or sets out the items he really wants back the most:

Gauntlets of Many Weapons
    Vicious Axe
    Wooden holy symbol of Tempus
    Spell component pouch
    Clothes and shoes (artisan's outfit)

He then says, "What or how much do you want in information, aid, or coins for these?"

For now, he does not mention any of the other magic items or gear. He considers them all of much lesser priority.

Show
    Hope that you as DM do not mind this sudden self-inflicted plot twist.

Personally I am okay with sudden reduction to pauper. I find it pleasingly dramatic, but not everyone likes it.

6. - Top - End - #66

Bor the Loud sings a soung as he beats on his drumb and looks over the pile of items.

"
    Spirit move me
    every time I"m near you
    Whirling like a cyclone in my mind
    Let me know the wonder of all of you
    now, now, now and hold on fast
    Could this be the magic at last

You got a lot of magic stuff, but I'd guess you knew that."

He slides the clthing, shoes and holy symbol back to you "Only a barbarian would take these."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

When his clothes and wooden holy symbol of Tempus are handed back to him, Alton says very enthusiastically, "Thanks!"

He puts the wooden holy symbol back on first and sighs with relief before he dives back into his clothes.

Then he says, "Yeah, I had a lot of magic." He says 'had' since he assumes all his gear now belong to Bor. "This is Thay; it sucks to be a slave in this country, but it sure does have a lot of magic."

It belatedly occurs to Alton that Bor the Loud likely cannot fully identify all the magical auras he is seeing.

"Is knowing what they all do something you want from me?"

He also remembers all the trouble he got fighting Thuran the half-orc and his gang, and he taps a few more items:

Steady boots
    Writing materials, including the book of notes who is who in the arena alignment-wise

"I'd like to ransom these also back from you if you don't mind."

Then he waits for Bor's reply and hopefully some clues as to what the foreign half-orc wants in exchange for Alton's most critical belongings.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-05-03 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added italics to signify Alton wants to ransom them.

8. - Top - End - #68

Bor the Loud "I do not need to be told what the magic in the items does. The magic of each item sings a song that I can hear. All I need is a little time." he smiles.

"But I do not want to be here so long. I guess it would be to easy to ask if you knew a way out. I have never needed to escape for anything. Not like this place. "

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton sets himself to patience, since he is at the mercy of his opponent and savior. He says, "No, I don't know of any way out."

"A lot of gladiators are much more powerful than I am or you are, and much richer. They're still here, so I guess they don't think there's a way out."

He says, "I really don't want you to get killed trying, Bor. It would be such a waste."

He asks, "Is there anything else I can do for you?"
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-05-05 at 01:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Bor the Loud "It does not make sense to me? Why do the powerful gladiators stay? They have weapons, magic and are good fighters. Why don't they just bust out? What holds them here?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton is confused; shouldn't a bard like Bor the Loud know these things?

He casts his mind back to that terrible bloody day when he first met Aluendale and tells Bor the things she told him and the things he had observed:

"There are dozens of hallways, twists and turns, between the slave-holding area where we are and the 2 outer doors. It's like a maze, with a door, bars, or a gate at every turn. All of them trapped. Takes an hour to walk, and that's with keys and pass tokens. Would take longer without."

"There are guardian creatures. I have seen red gargoyles and mimics. There are probably others I've never seen."

"There are also magics, like walls of fire. And even if you do escape, this is Thay. Too many wizards. They can find you unless you got the right abjurations. It's easy for them."

12. - Top - End - #72

Bor the Loud nods "Good, then. That matches what I know then. Nice to know stories and songs have truth to them. I just walked through the maze to get in here. I don't see that as a way out.

What about the arena itself? What is there in place to stop someone from climbing up into the watching crowd? The path from the arena to the outside has to be direct enough. Mix in with the crowd and escape.

What do you think?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton looks stunned. "I've never seen or heard it tried, and I've lived in the arena my whole life."

"It's a really public venue. I don't know how a slave can successfully escape that way, not when absolutely everyone is watching."

"Do you have invisibility or shape-change magic? That -might- help, but it might not. I don't know all the wards on this place."

14. - Top - End - #74

Bor the Loud "I don't have invisibility or shape changing magic. But I can make a big distraction. I think it will work. Blending into the crowd should be easy."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton shakes his head ruefully.

In a wooden and morbid manner, he says, "So. If I can't dissuade you, and I don't see how, since you beat me even with all my former stuff on me..."

"Will you still let me ransom back some of my stuff? And for how much?"

He really hopes he can convince Bor, since it looks to him that Bor is going to his doom through incineration or some other horrible Red Wizard-induced manner.

16. - Top - End - #76

Bor the Loud "For the gauntlets, boots, axe I think 10,000 gold each is fair. So 30,000 for all three. For the pouch and writing items, just ten gold each.

I'd guess you don't know of anyone like me with a passion to want to escape?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton's heart leaps in his chest with joy at knowing he can afford to ransom the gauntlets of many weapons. And the steady boots and vicious axe, too, of course, but especially the gauntlets.

As calmly as he can, he says, "No, I don't know anyone who wants to escape. Not for long, anyway," he adds morbidly.

"I'll have the diamonds by tonight, I think. I hope you can wait that long."

"Until then, please feel free to wait with us here. We chose it cause it's defensible."

He waits for Bor's responses, hoping that the half-orc accepts waiting for Zelandra to come by, and also that he chooses to wait in the defensible spot. He doesn't want Bor ambushed and killed before then.

18. - Top - End - #78

Bor the Loud "I can wait. Tonight is fine with me. I want to rest up and be ready to watch the fights tonight. See what I can see. This looks like a good spot, I can stay here."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton says, "Good, good."

He gets down on his knees and quietly prays, "Lord Tempus, thank you for allowing me to live despite my folly and carelessness in the battle with Bor the Loud."

"Thank you also for giving me a chance to retrieve your holy Gauntlets of Many Weapons."

"I will try to be more worthy follower and cleric of the great Lord of Battles from now on, and not forget that every fight must be fought as if it were the last, unless strategic or tactical issues obtain."

After praying, he rests until nightfall.

Show
    Pray, then rest. With Healthful Rest in play, Alton should recover 10 HP over the next 8 hours.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-05-07 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot to add the word 'on'.

20. - Top - End - #80

The day passes quiet enough.

Bor keeps to himself and mostly rests, and occasionally writes on a scroll.

The healthful rest does heal you up a bit by nightfall.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton says to Astar, Brugg, and Tomok, "Guys, could you accompany me? I gotta pick up my winnings."

He pauses, then more plaintively says, "And could someone lend me a weapon? I feel naked with just my bare hands."

22. - Top - End - #82

Brugg offers up his short sword and two daggers

Astar, Brugg, and Tomok all nod and come with you.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton mutters, "Thanks," as he picks one of the daggers. Until he can reclaim the Gauntlets of Many Weapons, he doesn't know how to use a short sword.

Beneath the tan and sunburn caused by a lifetime under the cruel Thayan sun, Alton's cheeks flush with heat and blood as he blushes. It is supposed to be him that is protecting his allies, not the other way around. He promises himself and his god to take a long long time before he is again helpless and in need of the mercy of others.

Hopefully with Astar, Brugg, and Tomok, but alone if need be, with Brugg's dagger in his hand, Alton moves towards the entrance where he can meet with Zelandra Duskmoss and claim his winnings. He prays to Tymora and Waukeen that the Myrkulite proves her worth again as a punter and is fair.

But before he actually gets to the waiting area, he ducks into a private spot and burns his Zone of Truth spell so he can cast Cure Moderate Wounds upon himself.

Only after casting it does he continue on to the waiting area.

Show
    In between defensive spot and waiting area, spontaneously cast CMW: Cure Moderate Wounds: (2d8+5)[19]

Edit: With reduction in Alton's Constitution back to normal and the above healing, Alton's HP should now be 36/40.

Show
    Alton bet 20,000 at 5:1 odds. That should gain him 100,000.

Zelandra claims one third of the winnings. So that should be 66,666.66. I think.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-05-08 at 01:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Astar, Brugg, and Tomok all nod yes and come with you.

Bor follows, but keeps a good distance and does not say anything.

The waiting area is full of people, the usual mix of gladiators, masters, an owner or two and spectators.

Zelandra Duskmoss is easy enough to spot, and she comes over when she sees you. "Nice fight last night. That two swordsman looked tough. Anyway, here is what you came for." She pulls out two small black pouches. One she shows you has six medium sized diamond mixed in with wood chips, the other has a bunch of platinum coins.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

That's six medium cut diamonds at 10,000 each and 667 platinum coins.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton is surprised that Bor wants to follow him, burdened as he is with all of Alton's gear.

He is filled with immense relief to see Zelandra. He is even more relieved that she gives him what she promised. He bows to her. "Thank you, Lady Zelandra."

He accepts the black pouches, enjoying their color and gratified to learn he won't have to take his shirt off to serve as a container for the platinum coins and gems. Since his backpack, sack, and pouch are all Bor's now.

"I'll see you again, probably before my next fight."

Then he turns to Bor the Loud and says, "Shall we return to the defensible spot?"

If Bor agrees, Alton returns with him and with Astar, Brugg, and Tomok to the defensible spot before he pulls out the gems and coins. Otherwise, he does business right where he is.

"For the gauntlets, the boots, and the magic axe. These 3 diamonds are worth 10,000 gold each."

"And here are 2 platinum for the pouch and my writing materials and book."

He points at or mentions or refers to his (former) masterwork battleaxe and the augury bones.

"I'd like to buy those back, too, if you don't mind. I can get replacements, but they have sentimental value."

He waits patiently but nervously for Bor's reply. He is especially eager to retrieve and don the Gauntlets of Many Weapons.

Show
    As per prior agreement, offer three 10,000-gold diamonds for the Gauntlets of Many Weapons, the vicious axe, and the steady boots.

As per prior agreement, offer 2 platinum (20 gold) for the spell component pouch and the writing materials and empty book that Alton was using for arena gladiator and guard alignment notes.

Try to ransom back the masterwork battleaxe given to him by his mentor and also the augury bones from the wiccan of Shargaas.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-05-08 at 10:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Zelandra Duskmoss nods, almost smiles and moves away.

Bor the Loud follows. He sells the gauntlets, the boots, and the magic axe for the agreed-ed upon price. And the the pouch and my writing materials and book too.

Bor looks over the masterwork battleaxe and the augury bones, "10 gold for both, sounds good to me."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton blushes furiously under the Myrkulite's knowing gaze. It really pains him to appear thus before her, armed with just a dagger and wearing no armor, stripped of all his gear save his clothing and his holy symbol.

But he just lowers his face to her, respecting her as both a freewoman and an elder cleric.

When Bor the Loud finally turns over the gear he bargained for, Alton sighs in relief as he first dons the Gauntlets of Many Weapons, then straps the vicious axe at his belt. He then puts on the steady boots and straps his masterwork battleaxe to his belt. He puts the augury bones in the pouch with the diamonds, and he straps the black sack with the platinum and the black pouch with the bones and diamonds to his belt.

"What do you want to do now?" he asks Bor the Loud, wondering if the half-orc has changed his mind and also if he wants to bunk with Alton's group in their defensible spot.

He is more confident now that he is armed and armored.

Show
    Put on gauntlets, boots. AC is now back up to 19. Strap on vicious battleaxe and masterwork battleaxe.

After ransoms have been paid, Alton has three 10,000-gp diamonds and 663 platinum, total worth 36,630 gold.

Show
    I am keeping track of all the changes. I'll modify the character sheet after Alton gets to shop at the goblin store and replenish stuff he lost to Bor. Saves time for me.

28. - Top - End - #88

Bor the Loud "I will go watch the fights and plan"

Bor watches the fights and comes back when they are over. He sits and makes some notes on his scrolls.

Bor the Loud talks out loud "There are few if any guards stopping a person from getting onto the arena floor. And the guards I have seen are lazy and could care less. And I don't even seen any guards at all up in the stands where the watchers sit. This should be easy.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Looking perturbed, Alton scurries off to a dark corner and starts to whisper.

"Aluendale. Does he have a chance at all? It never even occurred to me to try to escape so brazenly. Out in the freaking open even. And then he has a whole country full of slave owners to deal with."

"And can you think of any argument to dissuade him that I haven't already tried? It's such a waste."

30. - Top - End - #90

Aluendale Maendellyn "A chance? Sure. Like I've said before, it's not that hard to escape. I escaped a couple times. It's not so hard to get out of the arena, but to get out of the city or Thay...that is almost impossible. Almost everyone that escapes is caught and sent right back here..or they are just killed outright. That is why I don't recommend it.

You want an easy way out, the waterways that bring in the water for the bathroom are not all that well guarded. There are a couple monsters down there, and the gate is locked, but it's not even arcane locked.

Another easy way is for your owner to take you out of here for some reason. A lot of slaves get away that way....for a moment or two.

And he is about a subtle as a thunderstorm....what to be whoever owns him knows he will be making and escape and is ready?"