New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Shadow of the Crimson Sun II

Alton smiles and says, "I said, I want the leather armor. Buy it from you or something."

He sounds curious as he asks, "I have to ask, though: Why didn't you just beat the crap out of Nerevar Farsand and just -take- the armor? You look a decent fighter, lots more skilled than that son of an otyugh."

Alton shows lots of teeth in his smile.

2. - Top - End - #182

Miguel Unamuno "Eh, I don't know. Guess I could have. I just did not think of it.

You want my armor? Well, as you can see I'm using it...so, well, you can't have it. Or are you trying to make some kind of threat? "

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton thinks, By Oghma, this guy is a dolt. He's a gladiator; why in Faerun wouldn't he think of just taking it from that weevil Nerevar?

He says aloud, "No, of course not. Corbyn, do you think I'm making a threat?" he asks the staff-wielder, smiling menacingly.

"I'm just saying, if you're strong enough, you can do what you want. Might makes right, after all."

"But I am offering to buy it from you. Plus, did you know there's an amulet that grants the same power your leather armor does? You could wear it and wear plate armor, too."

"All you'd have to do is take the amulet from the halfling who owns it,"
    he says suggestively.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Is Corbyn's staff a quarterstaff or a magic-type staff? And is there any appreciable difference in how the two differ in appearance?

4. - Top - End - #184

Corbin Dyvarc "Sounds like you are making a threat to me."

Miguel Unamuno "So your one of them killer gladiators that kills his fellows, eh? Well, I can't sell you the armor...I need it. So...."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

All staffs look alike

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton nods with fake reluctance to Miguel Unamuno. "Yeah, I have problems in that area. I like to pick fights. I'm trying to cut down on the wholesale slaughter, though. I might be overdoing it."

He activates the Haste power of his gauntlets.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+7)[21]

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Activate Haste.

6. - Top - End - #186

Miguel Unamuno "All right!"

He swiftly draws his great sword

Spoiler: roll
    Show

Initiative (1d20+4)[6]

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton just smiles a little smile as he seizes the initiative and activates his Gauntlets and draws his vicious battleaxe.

Show
    Activate Haste. Draw vicious battleaxe.

Show
    I am assuming that the Haste power is Alton's standard action for the first round. Let me know if he got to do it before combat started.

Also, is Corbin doing anything?

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Alton Maggot
    Male Chaotic Neutral Human Cleric, Level 6, Init 7, HP 55/55, Speed 20
    AC 22, Touch 12, Flat-footed 21, Fort 8, Ref 3, Will 8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    masterwork battleaxe +8 (1d8+2, x3)
    +1 vicious battleaxe +8 (1d8+3, x3)
    +1 dissolving club +7 (1d6+3, x2)
    Scale mail, Heavy wooden shield (+8 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 11
    Condition None
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-06-14 at 08:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188

Show

Activating the gauntlets is a standard action and drawing the battle axe is a move action.

Corbin Dyvarc "Guys we got a killer and a thief over here, lets show him how we deal with such scum."

Corbin swings his staff, the other three move to attack too.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton quips cheerfully, "You guys sound so Awful Lawful. Killer, yes, but thief?"

"It bugs me that men can support the very same system that enslaves them."

Show
    Understood. Well, Alton won initiative and his action is done. His AC is 25 due to the extra bonuses from Shield of Faith, Haste, and Magic Vestment.

Their actions now.

10. - Top - End - #190

Miguel Unamuno makes a huge swing right for your neck

Corbin Dyvarc swings his staff low to trip

The other three move forward and swing as well...

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+8)[10] (1d12+5)[9]

(1d20+5)[24] Strength Check (1d20+6)[16]

(1d20+4)[16] (1d8+5)[9]

(1d20+3)[12] (1d8+5)[6]

(1d20+3)[12] (1d8+5)[10]

Only Corbin hit with his staff to trip....
    Show
    Strength check to resist....
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2016-06-15 at 04:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton just chuckles at the meager attempts at attacks.

Show
    Strength check just in case the question below has the answer of Yes. Alton's current Strength is 18.

Strength check: (1d20+4)[23]

Show
    Does Alton need a strength check? I don't think he can be tripped; he's wearing steadfast boots, as per here:

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Steadfast Boots: These thick and heavy iron-toed boots help keep the wearer from getting knocked down. Someone wearer steadfast boots cannot be tripped or pushed back by a bull rush. As long as the wearer carries a one-handed melee weapon, she also counts as being set against a charge. The weapon does not have to have reach.
    Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, bull's strength; 6,000 gp; Wgt. 1 lb.

12. - Top - End - #192

Show

Nope, you don't.....but, of course, Alton won anyway....lol

Corbin Dyvarc frowns.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton feels a surge of euphoric confidence, something he badly needs after the humiliating defeat to Bor the Loud, as the weapons bounce off him and Corbin Dyvarc fails miserably to trip him up.

He swings with his vicious battleaxe first at Miguel Unamuno, then at Corbin Dyvarc. He braces himself against the pain of using the vicious weapon.

Show
    Bonuses to attack/damage of +1/+0 from Haste, +2/+2 from Bull's Strength. Total extra +3/+2.

Full attack with Haste, first at Miguel, then at Corbin.

Miguel: Attack with vicious battleaxe +1: (1d20+11)[23]
    Damage with vicious battleaxe +1: (1d8+5)[8]
    Extra disruptive energy to target: (2d6)[4]
    Damage to wielder: (1d6)[2]

Corbin: Attack with vicious battleaxe +1: (1d20+11)[18]
    Damage with vicious battleaxe +1: (1d8+5)[13]
    Extra disruptive energy to target: (2d6)[7]
    Damage to wielder: (1d6)[1]

Show
    Please let me know which attacks hit and which missed, so I know how much Alton is damaged from vicious backlash.

Since there are so many of them against just Alton, I assuming some are flanking and get a +2 bonus to attack.

Alton's current touch AC is 14.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-06-16 at 12:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Both of Alton's axe swings hit, giving both Miguel Unamuno and Corbin Dyvarc wounds.

Spoiler: attacks!
    Show

(1d20+10)[18] (1d12+5)[8]

(1d20+5)[13] Check (1d12+6)[15]

(1d20+6)[22] (1d8+5)[8]

(1d20+3)[21] (1d8+5)[13]

(1d20+3)[9] (1d8+5)[11]

Miguel Unamuno and the first unknown named guy each get a flank bonus...

Corbin Dyvarc pointlessly attempts a trip....

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton grins despite the pain, as his vicious battleaxe connects both times. His spells and the Gauntlets of Many Weapons continue to block the enemies' attacks, and he splits his axe swings between Miguel and Corbin again.

As he fights, he says in a conversational and soft voice, "You know, there's no dishonor in losing to someone like me. You don't have Tempus on your side, you see."

"How could I possibly lose with the very god of battle as my patron, giving me the strength to triumph?"

"You'll learn, if you manage to survive this battle. I'll teach you, make you learn," he adds.

Show
    Once again, full attack. Alton's HP is down to 52/55, following last round's vicious backlash.

Miguel: Attack with vicious battleaxe +1: (1d20+11)[26]
    Damage with vicious battleaxe +1: (1d8+5)[7]
    Extra disruptive energy to target: (2d6)[2]
    Damage to wielder: (1d6)[3]

Corbin: Attack with vicious battleaxe +1: (1d20+11)[28]
    Damage with vicious battleaxe +1: (1d8+5)[13]
    Extra disruptive energy to target: (2d6)[7]
    Damage to wielder: (1d6)[6]

16. - Top - End - #196

Miguel Unamuno is hit and now bleeding from two axe cuts into his skin. Corbin Dyvarc takes the axe hit, and falls to the ground...dying as he bleeds everywhere.

Miguel Unamuno "This is pointless!. He drops his great sword. "You want the armor thief, take it. Just let me save my friends life and leave us in peace!"

The other three wait....

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton's axe hand stings from the vicious backlash. He thinks, Holy crap, that smarts!

But then Miguel surrenders. Alton kneels and puts down his shield. With well-practiced ease, he seeks to stabilize Corbin Dyvarc.

While he works, his hands running red with Corbin's blood, he says distractedly, "Oh, I don't want to steal it, Miguel. I'll buy it from you. Say, 15,000 gold because I like you. You're brave and you didn't try to ambush me like that dummy Nerevar Farsand."

"I'll also take care of you, help you win your battles. But first you gotta swear your allegiance to the Lord of Battles. Do you agree?"

He tells the others, "This offer is only for Miguel Unamuno, by the way. I don't make any promises for the rest of you... unless you also want to swear allegiance to Tempus?"

Show
    Put down shield. Take 10 on Heal check to stabilize Corbin Dyvarc.

Try to convince Miguel that it is in his best interest to take Tempus as his patron.

Alton's HP is down to 43/55, from vicious backlash.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-06-18 at 05:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

Miguel Unamuno watches you stabilize Corbin Dyvarc, then takes off the leather armor. "Buy it? All right. 15, 000 gold. Alliance to Tempus? The god? I never had much use for gods. Even less after being enslaved here. So what would be the point?"

The other just stand there, watching.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton says, "I'll pay you later. Goblin store. After we finish talking."

"Like I said, following Tempus helps you win battles. It really does matter. You feel stronger, luckier, and his favor protects you from your enemies."

Alton doesn't mind saying that, since it will be true: If he manages to make a convert, he'll begin casting protection and augmentation spells on Miguel Unamuno when he fights in the arena.

"I'm told that if you win enough fights, you eventually get expensive enough and skilled enough that it becomes more economical if your owner sets you free. And if you have coin, you can wager on yourself through an outside punter to get even more money."

"When is your next fight anyway? Is anything scheduled?"

20. - Top - End - #200

Miguel Unamuno "
    Yea, I tried that bet on yourself trick...but the buyer just keeps the money.

My next fight will be tomorrow. I get to fight every three days, lucky me.

And Tempus helps me win battles? How? What magic? Does Tempus force me to sell my armor i need to fight undead? Will Tempus bless me with some anti undead spell? Maybe if Tempus was so all powerful he'd just let me keep my armor.

Your words just have a very hollow ring to them "

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton is startled. "Every three days? I've never heard of such a thing. Your owner must have really pissed the necromancer off."

"Do you know what the odds are against you tomorrow?"

"Do you know exactly what kind of undead you'll be fighting?"

Already Alton is trying to devise tactics against Miguel's opponent or opponents.

He hesitates, then says, "You'll see. I'll probably ask Tempus to bless you tomorrow."

"Come to think of it, Thay probably isn't a very good country for faith; there's too much magic, and every Red Wizard and his flunky can try to match the gods themselves."

He asks a third question, "Will Corbin Dyvarc be okay here? If you trust these guys to guard him for a bit, we can go to the goblin store, get you your money. And if you don't know the odds, we can ask there."

Alton ponders wagering some coin on Miguel himself.

22. - Top - End - #202

Miguel Unamuno "I don't know anything about my fights. My master tells me nothing. And who can I ask and trust?

Yea, you guys can watch over him. Lets just prop him up like he is sitting down.

All right, lets go to the store."

Aluendale Maendellyn "Thay is acutely a very religious place. Red Wizards have always been very spiritual. And even the mightiest wizard, or flunky, knows they will die some day and they worry for their souls like everyone else. And a lot of people in Thay know a lot about the planes, and many have been there.

Know what happens to a high powered wizard when they die with no faith? They become a living brick in the Wall of the Faithless. Beggar on a street or all powerful mage, if your faithless, your a brick. For eternity. And that is if you get lucky. Some creature might just eat your soul, obliteration it for all time. Or you might be lost in some horrible place, in a horrible form, having lost most of your memories....and knowing just enough to know that you once were someone and you failed at life....forever."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton squints at the empty air where Aluendale manifests. "I didn't know that," he admits almost inaudibly.

"I thought they just paid lip service to the gods. And I thought at least half of them became undead sooner or later, and so avoid the afterlife."

As Alton walks towards the goblin store, he stops and says to Miguel Unamuno, "Wait. I think we need to talk to someone first. I need better background on your necromancer."

"Come with me," he says, and he diverts to look for and approach Toka Olabisi, the gossipy and knowledgeable guard that Llaars introduced him to a while back.

He says to the guard, "Hey, Toka. I have this present for you, to thank you for your hard work." He slips her 2 platinum and 30 gold as a bribe.

"If you don't mind, could you tell me about Miguel Unamuno's owner? Is it true that this necromancer has a big hate for his owner and keeps making Miguel fight every 3 days against undead?"

"I'd really like the details of this story, and to know if it's true."

Show
    Bribe Toka Olabisi with 2 platinum and 30 gold, equal to 50 gold. Ask for confirmation of Miguel's story and the details of Miguel's situation.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-06-20 at 12:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Aluendale Maendellyn "Undeath is not popular, even in Thay. Necromancy has it's supports, but it's hardly for everyone. And in Thay it's a bit more complex with each circle school not wanting to admit necromancy is better or more powerful.

And even if you do that the undead route....you might get a couple more years, many centuries...but everything dies."

Toka Olabisi is easy enough to find chatting away with people. Eventually she get alone and you can walkover. She talkes all the coins and smiles. "Sure, that is old news. He is owned by Amander Malonial a new blood abjurer circle Red Wizard. And he has been in a feud with Viorian Dekanti, an old blood necromancer circle Red Wizard for years now. It's a typical wish to prove the other is wrong that you see wizards do all the time.

They have been fihgting in the arena for years too. Back and forth. Though something changed in the last couple weeks, and Viorian got a bit more power and has been winning more fights. Miguel is his last gladiator here. But Viorian does not risk his gladiators, he send in undead. So yea, he has Miguel in heavy rotation. "

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton nods subtly to Aluendale. "I guess that's true."

Alton smiles at Toka. "Thanks." He feels a surge of confidence, knowing more about the situation, and he takes note to himself about the names. Old necromancer versus new abjurer. Interesting.

He then asks, "Do you by any chance know what Miguel will be fighting tomorrow? And what the odds are against him?"

If Toka doesn't know, he goes with Miguel Unamuno to the goblin store and asks the clerk on duty the same questions.

26. - Top - End - #206

Toka Olabisi "Naw, they keep the undead secret until the fight starts. Viorian is sneaky that way.

The goblin clerk just shrugs "Don't know"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Frowning, Alton goes with Miguel Unamuno back to Toka Olabisi and thinks a bit before speaking.

"Toka... Is there any chance that Viorian Dekanti has enough pull to make bookies refuse to pay back any wagers -against- his minions?"

"I ask because I heard some wagers for Miguel weren't paid back, and I wondered if it was just regular cheating by the bookies or special cheating by someone powerful."

"Also, is there any special connection between Viorian Dekanti and the church of Myrkul? Like, do the Myrkulites favor him special or anything?"

Alton wonders if Zelandra Duskmoss would be a reliable punter for him if he ever wagered against Viorian Dekanti through her.

28. - Top - End - #208

Toka Olabisi"It would be real odd for a person to care about a slave gladiator. Most don't care. And to steal a little coin from them is just sad for anyone with real power and influence. But, yea, there are plenty enough common folk that will take advantage of slaves. After all, what can you really do to stop it?

I'm pretty sure Viorian Dekanti is a follower of Bane."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton is pleased to learn that Viorian Dekanti worships Bane. He never liked Bane.

He asks Toka, "At what time do monsters usually arrive before a match with a gladiator?"

"And, uh, is there any chance someone could get just a little peek, maybe in exchange for considerations?"

Show
    Some questions:

1. How much XP for defeating Miguel and Corbin and their friends?

2. Do you allow the tactic of not preparing every spell for the day, and keeping some slots open in reserve, preparing spells for those empty slots later in the day?

30. - Top - End - #210

Toka Olabisi "A couple hours. Mostly right before the fight. And sure, there will be guards there to, well peak, at the monster. "

Show

XP-455

Clerics don't have to prepare all their spells for the day at once.

When a cleric prepares spells for the day, the cleric has the option to leave some spell slots open. Later in the day, the cleric can stop and repeat her spell preparation to place spells in the empty slots. This preparation takes at least 15 minutes, and it takes longer if she prepares more than one-quarter of his spells.

In effect, the cleric stops, prays, and meditates at the usual time, and those actions make the cleric's spell slots available for the day. The cleric can fill those slots immediately or she can wait until later.

I'm not a fan of this myself, but use it if you want. Note you can't leave a spot open and ''just cast'' any spell in combat.