New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Dragon's Lair (IC)

Lilith

But there's so much potential for good left unused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jun Qing

Qing looks at the dead hydra's for a moment, then turns to Bladi. "Hmm. If I understand correctly, you do not want them raised because you feel you killed them needlessly, and in haste. It is an understandable sentiment, but I fear you are letting it cloud your judgement. In life those hydras were noble guardians of this pass, bravely facing down trespassers. They died honorably, sacrificing themselves so their friend could escape. Alas, they perished in their effort, but they faced their end with dignity. What would you have done to their bodies? Would you have them lay to rot, to be picked apart by scavengers? Would you burn them or disintegrate them, effectively erasing the last physical evidence of their existence from the world? Or would you have their death be as their life, risen and bringing their great battle prowess to bear for their new comrades. Bladi, it would be a great insult to their legacy to let them lie here when Lilith can raise them up as warriors once again."
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorel

"Regardless of our feelings about reanimating corpses, we do have to consider the time. With the hydra escaping by air, we may find ourselves entangled with enemy scouts shortly. Will the additional hydras be more of an advantage to us than the head start on making it to the next shelter?" Truth be told, she wasn't particularly fond of the idea of creating even more undead, even if they were under the control of an ally, but Vorel honestly did consider the strategic trade-off as the greater concern of the moment.

4. - Top - End - #124

Jun Qing

Qing nods. "A valid point, Vorel. Still, I believe it to be to our advantage. From what I have seen Lilith can perform a simple animation such as this in around six seconds. Their speed should not slow us down, since we are limited to Lilith's current hydra's speed as it is now, and they would gain us significant power for future conflicts. Regardless, you are correct that we must decide quickly."
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Bladi looks at Jun without blinking, allowing his own reflection do the staring. "Obviously, have them burnt or disintegrated and scattered to the waters. Assuming that this is their natural habitat, creatures of the lake should be returned to the lake. Any low level acolyte could tell you that," Bladi says, as if she is speaking to a child. "As for our speed, if we're limited to the speed of the undead, would that imply that we can hide or store them in any way? Having any of them would be imprudent considering that we are going to be infiltrating a city.''
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

6. - Top - End - #126

Jun Qing

Qing bows his head slightly, then turns to the hydra. "I am sorry, noble creature."

To Bladi he says, "Time is of the essence; we cannot argue any longer, and there will always be more dead. Let us be off. I will perform a cursory scout around the exit while the rest of you make your way through the tunnel."

With that, Qing heads back under the water to the exit, and silently checks the nearby area for anything of interest.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm pretty sure everyone in the party who doesn't have freedom of movement can take 10 to get through the tunnel without problem. Speaking of taking 10, taking 10 on:
    Hide: 38
    Move Silently: 38
    Spot: 31
    Listen: 31

Not going far, just checking the area around the exit while the rest of the party gets through.

I'm two magic items!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Harley

Ignoring Bladi's comment about contracting something, Harley agrees with Jun. "Jun is right. Time is of the essence and we should leave." He steps a small bit away from Bladi, hoping she doesn't notice.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Sorry for the delay, I was celebrating my independence with style.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Before long, the six of you have made your way out of the caverns and away from the Iron Wall. You travel roughly northeast for about half an hour before coming upon an empty, but well-maintained road, with a three-way crossroads before you. A sign stands nearby.

South: Southern Gate

East: Dragon's Reach

Northwest: Zerksis City
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorel

"Hm, our next contact is probably in Zerksis City." As an extra precaution, as they met the road, Vorel casts another spell on herself, though this one has no visual signs like the brilliant aura of light still shining from her body.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Undetectable Alignment. Can't have pesky interior patrols casting Detect Good on her and seeing her Overwhelming-level Aura of Good, now can we?

Is Zerksis the "old name" for the city, and/or would Vorel be able to get any kind of vague notion of their location, based on how the region was before the dragon's rule?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Bladi steps closer to Harley, thinking that she isn't giving him enough attention. "Very well, then. Harley, what do you think? Your opinion is sooo important." She stresses that someone might listen to him... maybe.

Show
    Bladi will use the Wristband of Disguise to make her wings less apparent.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

11. - Top - End - #131

Jun Qing

"Agreed, Vorel. I too believe we should go to Zerksis."

Qing nods as Vorel and Bladi take steps to disguise their true nature. "It would be best if we did not draw attention to ourselves. Lilith, would you mind putting these rings, the sword, and the box that I found in your bag of holding? I do not have extra-dimensional storage myself, and I would prefer not to carry these in a sack hung in plain sight. It would also be prudent for us to devise a cover story, should we be asked who we are, where we come from, and what we are doing."

Qing closes his eyes for a moment, then opens them again."There is also the matter of the mounts. Vorel, I assume your Drakkensteed can be dismissed and called again at a later time, so it should not be a problem. Lilith...though it pains me to say it, your hydras would draw considerable unwanted attention. It might be best if they were not seen by others until their services are needed in open combat. Perhaps they should be hidden in the marsh we came from. Few would question dead hydras in their natural habitat, and the crossroads would provide a good landmark when they need to be retrieved."

Show
    I'm assuming Vorel has already used her hat of disguise to look less like a dragonborn, ie a holy servant of bahahut dedicated to the overthrow of evil dragons. Is that correct?

I'm two magic items!

12. - Top - End - #132

Yeah..... Lilith admits glumly crossing her arms.

You're probably right about the undue attention... She adds gesturing to her hydras, as she gets off the royal mount, directing them into nearby marshes she checks if it's deep enough to obscure them.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Bladi perks up a bit. "Of course, Bladi was right all along, Jun means to say. 'Let's not tote around huge creatures,' I said. Did anyone listen to me? Yes! You did, just now!" She is very pleases with the small amount of power her insight and wisdom have brought her.

14. - Top - End - #134

Harley

"I agree with Jun, again." Harley nods. "All good points, especially on the hydras." Seeing Lilith's dismay, he adds "I'm sorry, Lil, but know it's only temporary." He then shakes his head. "I'm not the world's greatest at disguise... It's hard to contain all of this." He motions to his body and then widens his eyes when he realizes Bladi has moved in on him again. "But I'll give it a shot."

Show
    Oh boy, disguise checks haha.

Disguise
    (1d20+24)[27]
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-07-08 at 09:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorel

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheCynic View Post
    Show
    I'm assuming Vorel has already used her hat of disguise to look less like a dragonborn, ie a holy servant of bahahut dedicated to the overthrow of evil dragons. Is that correct?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That would be accurate, though I'd forgotten to make mention of it.

Vorel finished adjusting her magical hat, concealing her scaled features under a mask of Human flesh, and now appearing more as a grizzled mercenary than a holy warrior. Nodding at Qing's suggestion, she sent a mental whisper to Rasvim, sending him back to Celestia. "We will not have his services the rest of the day, I'm afraid. And for the sake of the disguise, please call me... Minerva."

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Dragonborn count as Human for the purposes of effects regarding race, the Disguise check shouldn't take any penalties, right?

And before anyone asks, yes, go ahead and picture her Human disguise as looking somewhat like Brienne of Tarth.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    The name Zerksis City doesn't ring any bells, but it seems the most likely choice out of the three. And yeah, I'll allow Vorel to count as human for magic-based Disguise checks.

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

17. - Top - End - #137

Jun Qing

"For this disguise, call me Liu Rong." Qing's own flesh still has the illusion of life in it. He had never dispelled it since assuming it at the tavern; there had been no point. He still wears the simple, loose clothes that he normally does.

Qing studies Vorel's disguise for a long moment, then says, "I confess that I am no expert on assumed identities; most of my infiltration work relied on never being seen in the first place. Your cover looks at first glance to be a mercenary. While that would be quite appropriate in most places, I question how prevalent hired arms are here, and the general attitude toward them. Valixuuntal does not seem like the type to rely on soldiers of fortune, and I doubt he takes kindly to people who live to fight independently of his authority. Though perhaps I assume the dragon has a tighter grip in the area than he does. Still, it is something to consider. As to a reason why we six travel together, I am frankly at a loss. As I said, this is not my area of expertise, and I never was overly familiar with the norms of this region. Does anyone else have a good alibi?"

I'm two magic items!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Minerva"

Vorel shrugs. "A mercenary is easier to pass off than a Paladin, and the beast's protection does not extend beyond his Wall, so those traveling from outside it would need to provide their own guards. Naturally, then, I'm that muscle for us."
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2016-07-08 at 10:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Jun Qing

"Ah, guards for outsider merchants. I did not consider that angle. Good idea. Actually, merchants might be a good cover for the rest of us. Of course, there is the problem that we have no wares; perhaps we were recently robbed and our previous hired arms were incapacitated. We then pooled our remaining funds to hire Minerva. It would explain why five merchants only have a single guard, however formidable she may be. We are looking for Ellinette because she is an old contact who may be able to assist us."

Qing pauses, then looks over his garbs. "Actually, four merchants. I believe I could play the part of a servant more easily than I could a businessman. Perhaps a personal servant to Lilith." If Qing must play a servant, it would be preferable that his master be someone he trusted. It was also preferable that a companion of questionable sanity not be able to order him around with impunity. *cough* Bladi

I'm two magic items!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

After you have all finished making decisions on your various disguises, you proceed onward to Zerksis City. It takes you only a couple of hours until you can see the city itself. It seems for be a fairly mid-sized city, built much like a hub for traders and merchants. At this point, you begin encountering others on the road - though they don't seem to pay much attention to you. The guards at the city's entrance spare you only a passing glance before letting you inside.

The first sight that draws your eyes is a statue in the center of a crossroads, and though you've never seen him yourself, you have no doubts that is it made in Valixuuntal's likeness, a monument to the serpent's vanity. Other sights soon catch your attention as well. While many of the civilians seem fairly relaxed and normal, a noticeable amount seem unnerved, glancing at the guards and up at the skies. Occasionally, a winged draconic figure, a wyvern, passes overhead carrying an armored rider on its back. Based on the reactions of the people, this would be a normal occurance if not for the frequency of which it seems to be happening. Overall, there is a subtle tension lingering in the air of the city.

Extended Signature Link

21. - Top - End - #141

Lilith would mind speak to her comrades.

-Should one of us ask the civilians why the patrols seem to be on high alert?-

22. - Top - End - #142

Harley Marshall

Harley shrugs. It might seem suspicious, but I'll give it my best.

Harley walks up to any lone female civilian he can find, preferably one that looks poorer and less educated. "Hello there, gorgeous. I'm new around here and could use a few pointers. You see, my friends and I were recently put into a bind that had us dropped off near here against our will." Harley does his very best to be convincing and appear as though he's been through many hardships. "I'd very much like to know the laws of the land and any cultural faux pas I should avoid. In fact, the guard looks incredibly tense as is... any particular reason?"

Show
    Necessary rolls:

Bluff
    (1d20+42)[62]

Diplomacy
    (1d20+44)[55]

Gather Information
    (1d20+24)[30]

23. - Top - End - #143

Jun Qing

Qing calmly trails behind Lilith with his head slightly bowed. He notices some civilians seem to be relaxed while others seem obviously nervous. Curious. Qing spares glances at the different people, trying to detect patterns in the people who are worried and those who are not.

When Harley walks up to a woman for information, Qing subtly observes both her and any nearby guards, observant for anything out of the norm.

Show
    Sense motive for woman: (1d20+21)[41]
    Sense motive for guards: (1d20+21)[28]

I have absolutely no idea what, if any skill checks I would need to look for patterns in the type of people. Just in case, I'll roll spot and sense motive (only doing one roll, since the both have the same modifier): (1d20+21)[23]

I'm two magic items!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Bladi prances up to Harley, wrapping herself around his arm. "Hahahah! Very funny, darling."

"It's best you don't ask any weird questions. We don't want to tip anyone off that we are from the outside,"
    she imparts to the team.

Show
    BLuff (1d20+25)[45]
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-08-02 at 09:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Harley Marshall

Doing his best not to look annoyed that Bladi is blowing his cover, he attempts to recover. "I'm sorry for her outburst, miss." He looks away, tears welling in his eyes. "My sister hasn't been the same since... the event." He looks down with agony in his eyes. "She believes she's a past lover of mine and she's quite unstable. If you could just help us out... we'll be on our way." His eyes plead with her.

Show
    Blowing my perfectly good cover. Let me be the best at what I do.

Bluff:
    (1d20+42)[43]
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-08-02 at 09:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Bladi resists the urge to bite Harley's head off. "Enough of this nonsense. Dominate this tramp to get the information you need. All of these stories will only make us easier to remember," Bladi continues telepathically.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

The young half-elven woman Harley went up to blushes a little at his compliments, although Bladi's actions towards him do elicit a strange look. "Oh, well... I suppose I can give you some advice. Really, though, there's not much to it. Just don't break any laws and the guards should leave you be. Though, of course, they are on rather high alert..." She glances around. "If you're new to this area of the kingdom, I suppose that would mean you haven't heard? I guess that a couple of royal merchant groups have fallen prey to some local bandits that have reemerged. Vali... I mean, the Azure Emperor has taken notice, as these are among the first bandits we've had in years. Although..." She drops her voice and begins to whisper conspiratorially. "Some of us think it's the Loyalists to the old kingdom. You know, the ones that tried to rebel back when this all started? They might be making a comeback. But, uh... Don't spread that around, okay? The guards here don't take kindly to people who mention them, and it's just a rumor."

Spoiler: Jun Qing
    Show
    There don't seem to be any particular patterns to the tension among the populace. From what you can tell of the woman Harley is talking to, she seems like a bit of a gossip, though at least intelligent enough to make sure there were no guards around before she began her spiel.

Extended Signature Link

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Bladi

Bladi gives a dithering laugh and a broad smile as she pulls Harley around to face the rest of the group. Not that the woman cannot see her face, Bladi is visibly annoyed and grinding her teeth.

"A resistance cell? Very interesting. We'll have to find a way to come into contact with them. The easiest way is a honeypot. By looking like valuable targets, we can bait and bring them to us. Of course, we would have to gain their trust after that,"
    she continues in the minds of the party. "Of course, the worst that can happen is that they don't show up."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-08-10 at 12:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Jun Qing

Jun Qing answers Bladi telepathically, "An interesting proposal. Before we act on it though, I would like to see if we can contact Ellinette first. Information is power, after all. Harley, would you ask her where these raids have occurred, ostensibly to avoid them, then ask about local bars where we weary folk can rest? C said Ellinnette frequented a bar with a name that had something to do with bugs."

I'm two magic items!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Minerva"

Vorel continues to stand back a bit, looking gruff for appearance's sake. Making use of the telepathic link, she "voices" concerns of her own where the half-elf can't hear. "Loyalists would be nice to have, but it would have been quite a trick for them to lie low for decades... and curiously convenient for them to begin acting now."