New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1033 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    I still say the red stripes (symbolic bloody claw marks) match the ones on the high priest of Fenrir's face.
    Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    I thought of Fenrir's priest here as well. He also looks a little like the priest of the frost giant demigod with the horns.
    That's because the human brain is very excellent at finding similarities in unrelated data. It's called Apophenia.

If anything, our new antagonist looks more like the High Priest of Thrym (as aurilee pointed out). At least they both have the same headgear and winter theme.

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I second this. Humans ride large horses. It makes sense that a large giant would ride a huge creature.

This is bad. It's mount can make ranged attacks at will and they can't retaliate. It'll be like a giant in a playground compared to the paladins.

Does "Giant in a playground" have a meaning I'm not familiar with? I always thought it was an Enders Game reference.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-04-14 at 09:53 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Huh, the eye holes are strange. They are completely round. Also interesting that the mask covers the entire face which suggest that maybe the rider doesn't have endure elements up or it has some sort of significance. I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear a mask with no nose or mouth holes in it unless it is needed to keep the heat in or was significant to you in some way.
    Maybe he's undead and thinks it looks cool.

I see the flying mount has been named. I was going to christen it the 'Narwheagle'.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I thought of Fenrir's priest here as well. He also looks a little like the priest of the frost giant demigod with the horns.

Perhaps this is a frost giant riding an arctic yrthak?

The boots are also goblinoid, but I don't see why a giant couldn't have similar footwear.

Unless there are arctic goblins, and this is some sort of arctic goblin shaman?
    I'm thinking Bugbear, a larger than normal goblinoid, and given that the normally 3 foot goblins are portrayed as human sized in this comic, bugbears could easily be pushing the limits of medium size.
    Please see my Calibas forum. P.E.A.C.H
    My homebrew thought process.
    "I have this great idea for a power/splat/merit/etc/"
    "I have no idea if this is balanced, useless, or gamebreaking."
    "I'll ask the internet"
    "The thread has died."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Does "Giant in a playground" have a meaning I'm not familiar with? I always thought it was an Enders Game reference.
    I'm pretty sure it is a quote about the First Ones (Specifically about the Shadows and the Vorlons and how their "philosophical disagreement" affects the galaxy) from Babylon 5.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    Argh, I came here to make that joke!
    Wow, me too

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gerryq View Post
    Maybe he's undead and thinks it looks cool.

I see the flying mount has been named. I was going to christen it the 'Narwheagle'.
    Possible but cold undead have the tendency to be blue or pale white. The skin we saw is neither. Doesn't completely discount it but I don't think we have ever seen an undead with a natural skin color.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

nice effects!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Really nice artwork. The sonic attack is very clear and very striking.

The yrthak s really more of a sonic unicornate reptile, but that's not as good a name for a rock band.

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    O'chul does not have a weapon? Or it's not drawn until it's drawn?
    Oh, Very well done. Clearly, his weapon isn't drawn yet.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe Lein's spear has returning?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raazan View Post
    I'm thinking Bugbear, a larger than normal goblinoid, and given that the normally 3 foot goblins are portrayed as human sized in this comic, bugbears could easily be pushing the limits of medium size.
    Interesting.

Because as far as I can recall, we haven't seen Bugbears so far in this comic (and they're totally my favourite Goblinoids).

And also, if you look at the CSI zoom in Foobar's post, those look an awful lot like mandibles poking out under the helmet to me. Which a bugbear would clearly have. Because Wizards.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rich Burlew has explained the origin of "Giant in the Playground", but IIRC it was a nickname given to him on a board similar to this one where he kept on being the only adult in the room.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

One of the first hits I got for "yrthak" led me to the Pathfinder variant of the monster on their SRD, and they mention the "Boreal Yrthak," which lives in the arctic and possesses an electric aura that makes them difficult for prey to sense. "Frost Giant on Boreal Yrthak" just became my new favorite Frost Giant encounter, and I have a couple of the Tundra Scout minis that have them mounted on mammoths.
    Last edited by Uhtred; 2016-04-14 at 10:14 AM.
    ~Othar wanted me to know so that I would tell men that Othar the Storm-Rider had died well, and I had told him to keep a tight hold of his sword so that Othar the Storm-Rider would go to the feast hall in Valhalla where all warriors who die bravely go after death. These days, although I am old and feeble, I always wear a sword, so that when death comes I will go to that far hall where men like Othar wait for me. I look forward to meeting them.~

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coat View Post
    Interesting.

Because as far as I can recall, we haven't seen Bugbears so far in this comic (and they're totally my favourite Goblinoids).

And also, if you look at the CSI zoom in Foobar's post, those look an awful lot like mandibles poking out under the helmet to me. Which a bugbear would clearly have. Because Wizards.
    That looks more like hair sticking out than mandibles. They aren't symmetrical enough.

The mask definitely looks ceremonial, but it could also be to protect from the cold. The eye-holes might also be goggles/glasses to protect from the wind and snow-blindness. If that's the case, then it's more likely to be a bugbear or other goblinoid since frost giants wouldn't need any protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

What is 'Giant in the Playground'?

http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq16
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

15. - Top - End - #75

Just a little thing that's been bugging me: how does one pronounce "yrthak"?

The y is followed by a consonant cluster, suggesting that it's to be interpreted as a vowel: "eer-thak" or "earth-ak" or perhaps "ire-thak".

Yet the SRD says a yrthak (not an), which is incompatible with any of the above. Of course, it's possible that one of them is correct and they got the grammar wrong.

Any ideas?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

One appeared in Start of Darkness, but it didn't have any lines or anything. I don't have my book with me, but I think it was in a crowd shot.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I believe that it's been discussed that it falls into the same category of Elan and Belkar. Though, did we ever see him get a weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    awesome mount+ theatrical grand entrance = Tarquin

the rugged look is from the desert journey. even a bad guy can have the "crossing the desert" moment
    Admittedly, it would be pretty hilarious for Taraquin to meet his end at the hands of secondary characters.
    Last edited by AmewTheFox; 2016-04-14 at 10:46 AM.
    : THA TREES BE ATTACKIN'!! RUN FER YER LIVES!!!!
    : Ah, I see you have already grasped the core principles of my theory.

18. - Top - End - #78

GreenSorcererElf

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

That looks more like hair sticking out than mandibles. They aren't symmetrical enough.
    I disagree, but I can totally see why you'd say that. I think the differences are because the head is turned towards the camera. However, they're certainly different to the bug slaver mandibles, which had the spiky bits on the inside, not the outside as here.

If it is hair, we're looking at very substantial sideburns, but no beard - if you draw a line between the mandibles/hair, it would project from under the mask, but there's nothing sticking out. Which is... a distinctive look (link is safe to view). But viable.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness stuff
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    One appeared in Start of Darkness, but it didn't have any lines or anything. I don't have my book with me, but I think it was in a crowd shot.
    I do. p37 is what you mean. From context, the goblinoid next to the lizardman, panel 2, is almost certainly a Bugbear. And interestingly, they do have some rather magnificent sidies. Hmmmm.

Bugbear is starting to look like a pretty good bet.
    Last edited by Coat; 2016-04-14 at 10:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeean_lion View Post
    So, now that we have a clear view of the monster, does anyone know what it actually is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conte_Vincero View Post
    Last comic, someone ID'd it as a Yrthak
    I'm in the camp that it is a yrthak, although it is a non-standard yrthak. Now we know that it has a sonic attack which, unlike the standard sonic lance, can directly damage at least two creatures simultaneously. Normally it seems it would need to use explosion, which causes piercing damage by breaking the ground. On that note...

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Also, are we seeing that the screech of that monster is breaking the ice?
    Either that, or it impacts the snow somehow. This would be a really poor place to find out you're standing on a sheet of ice over water.

Quote Originally Posted by Valynie View Post
    I ressent the implication that a paladin can not play in a punk rock band :)
    Well, when your quest against evil and to uphold the law leaves you with enough time to also perform nightly, do let us know.

It isn't shown until it has been drawn. I came back to the comic after a long hiatus without remembering this rule and people erm... enthusiastically reminded me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The yrthak s really more of a sonic unicornate reptile, but that's not as good a name for a rock band.
    Well, if you can remove a word, you'll be getting closer.
    I'm the ranger
    Killing a scarab

- The Cure Light Wounds
    from Three Illusion (Figment) Boys
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    And make no mistake, the real couter-argument to the idea that any wavering from historical demographic verisimilitude needs to be explained... is Roy.
    As an author, stooping to provide an explanation for any of those things in the story is to tacitly acknowledge the belief that they are Other that have no business being in the story without a good reason. And **** that.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe it's pronounced "yer-thack," thus explaining "a" rather than "an."

I'll second "bugbear." I actually thought that prior to reading the thread, but someone beat me to mentioning it. Goblinoid feet, large size, shaggy ruff of hair around the face, beige hands. Sounds like a bugbear to me.

Leaving aside the decorations, that hood is probably quite practical. Can you imagine how searingly cold that arctic air is with the yrthak's speed thrown in?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

I think it's clear that the rider is a female, whatever race she is. (If her skin were green, I would have guessed Right-Eye's lost daughter.)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

I disagree, but I can totally see why you'd say that. I think the differences are because the head is turned towards the camera. However, they're certainly different to the bug slaver mandibles, which had the spiky bits on the inside, not the outside as here.

If it is hair, we're looking at very substantial sideburns, but no beard - if you draw a line between the mandibles/hair, it would project from under the mask, but there's nothing sticking out. Which is... a distinctive look (link is safe to view). But viable.
    It kinda just looks like he has long-ish (chin length or a bit longer) hair, and it's sticking out. At least, that's what my hair looked like at that length when I wore a touque, and the "mask" actually looks like it wraps around the head a bit and functions as a hat too. That would explain why you don't see the hair anywhere else on his head. I don't see why the hair would have to be sideburns.

I'm also convinced now that the "eye-holes" are actually glasses/goggles because upon closer inspection there's a small line between them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Well, when your quest against evil and to uphold the law leaves you with enough time to also perform nightly, do let us know.
    Well, maybe performing nightly is the way you quest against evil and uphold the law?

(I'm not so sure about the 'uphold the law' bit. In fact, generally speaking, isn't 'break the rules' a bit of a core part of the punk ethos?)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1033 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Wonderful, thanks!

And... yay! New enemies

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    ... how does one pronounce "yrthak"?
    "SON-ick rep-TIL-yuhn YOO-ni-KORN"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AmewTheFox View Post
    Admittedly, it would be pretty hilarious for Taraquin to meet his end at the hands of secondary characters.
    I'm fully expecting him to die in some completely undramatic way at the hands of Amun-Zora and Ian Starshine (and Sabine? I think she joined them) and whatever rebellion they start, after which we get a one-sentence mention of his death and everyone proceeds to forget all about him.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

I'm curious if this is building into a show off the Paladins sort of thing, or if it will be passing and then it back to other activities. Xykon is in sore need of screen time.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Wow. The sonic attack is drawn so you can feel it hit them. And is it me, or is O'Chul quicker to shake off its effects? Not sure if sonic attacks require saving throws, but it feels like a nice nod to his toughness.