New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What is your favorite class/race and why?

I personally loved Warlock because of infinite teleports. Eladrin kinda the same deal. What about you guys?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What is your favorite class/race and why?

Big fan of that. But moreso as a hybrid, because Warlocks aren't very good at fulfilling their role while staying in class (see the conversation in the vampire thread right now; much of it applies to Warlocks as well).

Definitely a fan of Tieflings. Would love to love dwarves, but they just don't quite have the racial support they need to be great. As noted, Eladrin are great.

I'm a big fan of Paladins as well. Would love to try a Paladin|Warlock one day, but I'm not quite sure where I want to go with it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Half-orc Berserker Barbarian Paragon Multiclass Rogue (for Riposte Strike at-will and Low Slash) Martial Archetype Epic Destiny (because Riposte strike + Defender Aura basically guarantees 2+ attacks per round and recharge Low Slash on a crit turns that into 3+ attacks per round).

The berserker barbarian, as the only default class that is actually designed as a multi-role class, is my straight up favorite class outright (the martial/primal and defender/striker mutually exclusive combination is just an incredible design), and half-orc is just a perfect fit for it.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateCaptain

Man do I love Artificers and Clerics.

The way they ended up implementing the Artificer this time around was wicked. They came out being able to generate a ton of temporary hit points, buff weapon and implement attacks, and even become decent minionmancers in the process.

Clerics on the other hand are super diverse. A Battle Cleric plays nothing like a Laser Cleric, and I love that. I've used both, and Battle Cleric's Lore makes for an amazing fix to the class's longstanding AC issue and gives them great hybrid and multiclassing options. They can't enable to save their lives, but a Battle Cleric can make a great substriker and a Pacifist or Laser Cleric is arguably the best healer in the game.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    Clerics on the other hand are super diverse. A Battle Cleric plays nothing like a Laser Cleric, and I love that. I've used both, and Battle Cleric's Lore makes for an amazing fix to the class's longstanding AC issue and gives them great hybrid and multiclassing options. They can't enable to save their lives, but a Battle Cleric can make a great substriker and a Pacifist or Laser Cleric is arguably the best healer in the game.
    Rather, they can't enable until level 27, at which point someone writing the Neverwinter Campaign Setting decided "you know what class needs the best attack granting power in the game? Clerics."

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm a fan of weird eladrin Defenders. Fighter, Battlemind|Swordmage, etc...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Dwarf is my favorite race, because dwarf, that's why. By which I mean that there's something about the race in its many varieties that I find emotionally resonating ... it feels morally good (if not in a huge way) to bring a dwarf character to the table. I'm also big on Constitution, Wisdom and self-reliance.

I don't have a favorite class. Assassin is the most likely to work its way into my builds, because assassins have some great feat options, though generally MC is enough. Battlemind, cleric and avenger show up a lot too, monk a little bit less. I don't care about the default flavor of any of them though. They're all ways to activate certain 'tricks' or get a unique build functional. Monk is my favorite to play straight -- they have a clear role and a lot of freedom to determine their own fate.

My favorite paragon path is Blood Mage, entirely for flavor (though its powers and features aren't bad either).

And some favored builds so far are
    • goblin arena fighter/assassin Snapping Testudo
    • dwarf swordmage|wizard Blood Mage
    • svirfneblin ranger|runepriest fluffed as a mud elemental
    • warforged witch/invoker Blood Mage
    • kenku rogue|executioner/warlock ... with Cunning Sneak and Shadow Walk, during any long movement, the character bursts into a flock of shadow birds that fade entirely from sight
    • pixie sentinel druid|rogue who rides on living zephyr
    • drow invoker/assassin reluctantly serving the god of poison
    • dwarf sentinel druid/shaman beastmaster (with fey beast tamer theme, of course)
    • dragonborn fighter|sorcerer Fear Walker underworld superstar
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Tiefling Paladin|Warlock for me. I like the more exotic races. If it's found in Tolkien I'm not really interested. Love Tolkien, but as books, not for my characters. Tiefling, Deva, Shadmind, Warforged all speak to me. Cha/Int/Con being my breakdown of choice.

When it comes to classes, I'm the hybrid lover. I don't just build a character, I built the class too. Make it really mine. I love taking the different features and playing them together. Cha/Int being favorites, I've done the Paladin|Warlock, a Warlock|Executioner that threw 4d8 at-will before level 5 without charging, I enjoyed a Druid|Warlord that went bear shaped and just barked out orders, and a F-Skald|Executioner/Warlock in a Paragon game that was a great sniper. Do want to try a Blackguard|Bard/Binder at some point. I just gotta figure how to mix at-will Eldritch Strike, a Skald Aura, and Executioner Weapon Finesse into a single character, and I may be set for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Rather, they can't enable until level 27
    *cough*Cause Fear*cough*
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Favorite class? Runepriest.

Why? Because it offers more options than any other class. And by that, I mean each power has multiple options. It just makes the class so incredibly diverse when at the table.

Favorite race? Half-elf.

Because I love being able to pick any at-will power and turn it into my encounter/at-will power.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Favorite race is Eladrin, because of its excellent teleportation ability.

Favorite class is Wizard, because I love being the crowd controller and utility caster, and wizards are just sooo good at that.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateCaptain

Oh yeah, I never answered the race question!

Half-Orc is my favorite. I've played a Ranger that went against the almost-always tragic backstory by having two half-orc parents, and now I'm playing a ClerBarian who plays it right up. Mom was a Paladin, Dad was a rampaging orc warlord, the whole shebang.

Here's hoping I get a chance for evil rampaging female human warlord and simple orc dirt farmer in the future.

Warforged get a close second. When you're expected to be a robot, a character's quirks and personality can really shine. No two Warforged are the same. Also they have great bonuses, are fun to hybrid with, and Warforged Tactics, Warforged Tactics, Warforged Tactics.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Favorite race is shardmind, because they've got everything that makes warforged awesome and add psionics and ability bonuses I like more.

Favorite class is probably wizard, because they're so versatile.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

Sorcerer. I was never really fond of Dragon or (sigh) Wild sources, and I'm not sure they thought too hard about the Cosmic sorcerer, but I loved me my storm sorcerer. Made two of those, actually. Those were the best, for me, right up until the fire elementalist, and I never looked back once I found that; our last 4e campaign, I played a tiefling fire elementalist from 1-23, no breaks). I didn't even bother with the Flame Spiral crap (I figured the DM would have the enemy beat me into the ground the third time I tried it), and I wasn't in the highest-op of party, but I could stomp anything, and was very survivable. If I'd had a warlord or artificer in the party, I'd've been a monster.

Next best was rogue. I'm generally good at sneaky characters and again I had two of these over the edition. Thief was a surprisingly good ranged striker, especially once you realized that the "make basic attacks with a light blade against AC or Reflex" didn't actually say *melee* basic attacks. By the time we hit epic, my thief was flinging out 7d8+20ish or more and hitting almost every time.

Honorable mention goes to the avenger, which I would love to have played well but apparently my dice conspired against me, as with a Vicious Weapon (19+ crit range), rolling twice, I crit under 5% of the time (as mentioned elsewhere).

Favorite race? Minotaur! Not only did it start out overpowered (and got nerfed into reasonableness...I missed the Large weapons, but not as much as I thought I would), but no other race allows you to say "Mooooo!" as you moooove around the board. Well, you can do that with any other race, really, but it only makes sense with a minotaur. In our Eberron/Maztica game, the other party members noted that my minotaur battle cleric "wore the horns of power" as I threw down the false idols of the Mazticans, who spread their vile heresy that the Seven (...and Six...) wanted human hearts to keep the world going.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I think my favourite combination is eladrin tactical or resourceful warlord. I love the tactical side to 4E and the mix of fey step and warlord powers simply screams "tactics".
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Favorite race was pixie, due to the combination of ridiculous plus chaotic fey plus flight. I'm miffed I never got to play a Pixie Barbarian.

I liked AoE nuking sorcerer and wizard; I liked the warlord's ability to make the barbarian attack the target he should be attacking.

My favorite character, though, was Junior, Paladin of St Dale the Intimidator. Yee ha, y'all.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

My favourite race is Dragonborn, probably as a result of its versatility and all the fun memories of playing as one.

I feel like I probably enjoy swordmage the most as a class, though a lot of other classes come close.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I like to be very mobile. To this end, I love Thiefs and Monks for the constant shifting. I prefer to go Human, because the extra at-will power can be very useful (combined with monk, where an extra at-will is essentially worth two at-wills), and the extra feat is awesome for most the builds I use.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Non-Essentials Fighter is perhaps my favorite class. I'm not a huge fan on how they gained abailities (would rather just see a pool of energy to use encounter powers from) but my god was it awesome.

Fighter's Superiority is perhaps my favorite feature. Too bad they turned it into part of a feat in 5e.

Hybrid Sorcerer/Warlord gains a huge nod for being straight up awesome. It could almost perfectly replicate Red Mage from 8 Bit Theater... How can you not love that?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If I had to say which of my characters has been the most fun to play, I would have to say it was my Kobold Artificer Self-Forged Archlich.

That's right, he's a undead cyborg-lizard who does science and ****. He might look like a toddler's Halloween costume on meth and sugary sodas, but with an action point, an at-will, and a sigil, he can give the party's Ranger a +33 to all damage rolls, and a +4 to hit for one round. If there'd been an Archer Warlord in the party too, that would've been a total of 198 points of extra damage, just from 2 Twin Strikes and the Warlord's bonus attacks to allies.

Did I mention he also had a shoulderbow that shot LASERS???
    Last edited by Jesse Booth; 2016-05-20 at 02:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like to play Genasi because I like the idea of being touched by the elements and I like their stat boosts.

Though I also like the Half-Elf, Eladrin, and Dragonborn.

I like Swordmage because it allows me to make a fairly mobile defender that is very cool thematically to me and I enjoy playing all three archetypes of swordmage.

I also like to multiclass into the Spellscarred when playing Forgotten Realms sometimes.

PM me if you are interested in Skype solo games.

RPG Systems I am Proficient With
    D&D 5e, D&D 4e, Pathfinder, D&D 3.5e, nWOD, oWOD, Anima, and D20.

Favorite Race
    Half-Elf

Favorite Class
    5e: Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
    Pathfinder: Magus
    4e: Swordmage
    3.5e: Duskblade

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I have to admit I am quite partial to the Dragonborn Paladin combo. There is just a certain regality to it and the Charisma modifier for Dragonborn works quite well! The best one I've played so far was a Red Dragon Dragonborn, due to the fact that everyone we encountered naturally assumed I was evil and tried to attack first and ask questions later, which was good for a heavy hitting party.

For a more relaxed and social game, I quite like Bards. Dwarven Bards always bring me great joy because Dwarves are stated for anything BUT being a bard and it makes for very good character progression.

23. - Top - End - #23

My favorite races are Hobgoblin, Genasi, Tiefling, and Gnome.

I play almost exclusively Swordmage hybrids. I have a problem.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed343 View Post
    I play almost exclusively Swordmage hybrids. I have a problem.
    "Hello, my name is Bloodshed, and I'm a swordmoholic."
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

*nods sagely* I struggled with gishoholism myself. Strength, friend. Or Intelligence as the case may be.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I love Wardens and Goliaths. Two great tastes that taste great together.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    "Hello, my name is Bloodshed, and I'm a swordmoholic."
    My current roster:

5 different swordmage|warlocks.
    3 different swordmage|Cleric
    Swordmage|Invoker
    Swordmage|Wizard
    Swordmage|Bard
    Swordmage|Sorcerer
    Swordmage|Ardent
    Swordmage|Psion
    Swordmage|Battlemind
    Swordmage|Paladin
    Swordmage|Warlord
    Swordmage|Avenger
    Swordmage|Shaman
    And two Swordmage|Barbarians (one dual-wielding drow long knives and taking shock trooper, the other being allowed to use Spears instead of heavy blades for Swordmage features and charging.)

28. - Top - End - #28

So far, I'm most intetested in the Revenant and Genasi. Revenant because I like the idea of searching for an identity and having a personal mission. Genasi because being a demi-elemental with sweet Tron lines is something I can easily get on board with, plus their emotional states are described similarly to my own.

Swordmage is pretty appealing to me, class-wise. It seems reasonably versatile, and I like the idea of being a melee spellcaster.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Warden for me. Holy crap, it oozes with flavor both in crunch and fluff. That said, it needs stickiness early on, which it desperately lacks. Can't really keep them nearby until level 9.

And I love Goliaths. Rock solid. Dwarves are also really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    Warden for me. Holy crap, it oozes with flavor both in crunch and fluff. That said, it needs stickiness early on, which it desperately lacks. Can't really keep them nearby until level 9.

And I love Goliaths. Rock solid. Dwarves are also really cool.
    I feel you. I almost have to force myself to play something other than a Warden. They're my ideal class in nearly every way.