New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Just Starting (fire gensi wizard)

Need help creating strongest character I can to keep up with experienced friends that wont help me.

Lvl 1
    Race Fire gensi
    Class Wizard
    Str 15
    Dex 17
    Con 17
    Int 18 after race
    Wis 16
    Cha 16 after race

Need every thing else and need a layout for a strong character later.

Wanting to build character that is essentially a pyro.

Please keep simple
    Last edited by Blaro123; 2016-04-17 at 08:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Just Starting (fire gensi wizard)

Did you roll stats in order, or can you assign them where you want?
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Did you roll stats in order, or can you assign them where you want?
    I can move anywhere.

Stats

I'm technically lvl 4, but am just building so I can form any way.
    I just don't know what doing.
    Last edited by Blaro123; 2016-04-17 at 08:34 PM. Reason: need more info

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Do your experienced friends focus on optimization and/or power gaming? Do they focus more on roleplay and/or story progression? Do they favor fluff and "the rule of cool" over mechanics, or stick to by-the-book and RAW?

Just because your friends more experienced does not mean that they will have "stronger" characters. They may also be refusing to help build your character because they see that as part of the process of getting to know the game. (I mean, it is also possible they are being jerks and want the new guy at a disadvantage, but I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt.) It's also worth noting that having a strong or optimized character means nothing if you don't know how to play it, and that damage output does not necessarily mean "strong" (and in high OP, high level play focusing on damage output almost ensures a character that is not "strong").

I'd absolutely suggest reading the links provided by Nifft, as well as having a discussion with your friends about their expectations of game play and how they think you'll be able to contribute. This is a great opportunity to also let them know how you plan on contributing and what your expectations are for the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SethoMarkus View Post
    Do your experienced friends focus on optimization and/or power gaming? Do they focus more on roleplay and/or story progression? Do they favor fluff and "the rule of cool" over mechanics, or stick to by-the-book and RAW?
    They told me to figure it out and to find out for myself. Other then that as long as you can logically prove how your doing things our DM is fine with it.

I just got done going through Nifft's stuff and found a prestige class called incantrix that sounds like fun. I just want to keep the theme of my wizard being a pyro.

i want to be able to rain damage, but do so in a way that actually helps and to do it as much as possible.

7. - Top - End - #7

Few things:

1) Do you really want to be a Fire Gensai? It has LA+1 which means you will be one level behind the entire party, and one CL short. In other words while everyone else would be level 4 you would be only level 3! If you swapped your Charisma and Intelligence and went human you would have the same stats, +1 Skill point and feat AND be a level higher in exchange for some trivial bonuses.
    If you really want a fire themed race UA has the Fire Elf. -2 Con and Cha but +2 Int and Dex. With your current array you could have stats like:
    Str 15
    Dex 18 (16+2)
    Con 15 (17-2)
    Int 20 (18+2 ; Your a Wizard with a +Int race PUT INT AT 18!)
    Wis 16
    Cha 14 (16-2)

Cha and Str are your low stats, especially with your epic array here. 15 Con also means a +1 item of Con will boost you to 16 Con which is very solid. 18 Dex and 20 Int are also nice on a wizard, especially if you want to "blast" as you need dex to make those ranged touch attacks.

Spells and Feats: (Lesser) Orb of Fire and Scorching ray are quite nice low level spells to get for fire based blasting. Worth noting though: Fire resistance is quite common, I would pick up feats like Searing Spell (Meta-magic that helps overcome fire defence) and Energy Substitution (turn those fire spells into something else.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you do take Searing Spell (and you should) you ought Arcane Thesis; not sure what spell would benefit the most from it, but it means it could be always searing
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    If you do take Searing Spell (and you should) you ought Arcane Thesis; not sure what spell would benefit the most from it, but it means it could be always searing
    Orb of fire probably. It's up to 10d6 damage and ignore SR/AMFs and with Searing spell would ignore most fire resistance as well. Pretty much anything you can make a touch attack against gets burned. Even worse with stuff like Incantrix and more meta-magic, could make a (discount) mailman that way.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Though if what you want is pure pyro: sorcerer or (hellfire) warlock are stronger choices.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    Though if what you want is pure pyro: sorcerer or (hellfire) warlock are stronger choices.
    A bit of this. Fact is, a Wizard gets more spells to play with, but if all you're doing is blasting, you don't exactly need diversity. The Mailman Sorcerer is often considered the Ur-example of the blaster caster - the entire build is dedicated to a a simple premise of blasting: Cast spells that cannot be resisted or saved against, and make them cause a great deal of damage.

The execution boils down to extensive Metamagic abuse, but the end result is exactly what it tries to be. On any given turn that you can cast a spell, you can destroy something. Break out a Lesser Orb of X, load it up with metamagic, send it out. For example, a Lesser Orb of Fire, with no metamagic on it, will deal 5d8 Fire damage at CL 9. Ranged touch attack, no save, no SR. And that's before you tack on your favorite metamagics to turn the thing into a Lesser Orb of Fire machine gun.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!