New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Gothmoor IC (purple)

Fistar

The wood elf approached the table and tossed two keys on to it. "We have two rooms for two nights. It seems tho, it had cost me double than what I expected. ", he grimaced " 80 silvers," he sighed, "I guess because of the festival, these seems to be the last two rooms available around here. If anyone wouldn't mind to pitch in, for the cost? " he looked questioningly.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff - (1d20+3)[14](17)
    Last edited by Tsol; 2007-07-06 at 12:00 PM.
    Fistar
    Talk is cheap.
    Cheap is good

2. - Top - End - #92

Zarraema:

The priestess nodded and counted out thirty silver pieces. She kept her voice low as she spoke, "This should cover Kelzir and my part of the cost with a little more for your service in obtaining them. Thank you."

"Will we be remaining here for now, or is there some destination in the city that you are bound to until the evening?"

Spoiler
    Show

((Oh, OF COURSE the rogue rolls well. <checks Fistar's dice> Not that Zarraema would even try sensing his motives on this. She's suspicious, but has been trying to quell it for so long that it's just...normal.))

Original Artwork by: -Mo-

3. - Top - End - #93

Jessamyn

The paladin frowned slightly at Fistar's words, but not at the elf himself; she was pondering the math. After a moment she set down the soup spoon and picked at the coinpouch strings. She counted out twenty silver and slid it across the table without comment or question.

After all, most of her attention and all of her suspicions were focused on the two drow.

4. - Top - End - #94

Fistar

"Ahh thank you, I don't know what kind of sleeping arrangements you are comfortable with. but I'm assuming these two, " nodding to the two dark elves "...will have one room, and us three take the other. There two beds in each room, I don't mind sleeping on the floor I have a bed roll. " he smiled, with a small profit, he would be happy to sleep on the floor.

Looking to Zarraema, "To answer your question, they..., " looking to the paladin and druid briefly, "...want to visit the Temple of Torm, which has a library of sorts, I'm thinking of joining them just to see the sites on the way. "

"I just want to drop off some stuff in the room upstairs, before we head there, " picking up one of the keys that he had tossed down earlier.
    Last edited by Tsol; 2007-07-06 at 06:31 PM.
    Fistar
    Talk is cheap.
    Cheap is good

5. - Top - End - #95

Etsia

Etsia blinked. "...dint mean to sleep inside..." She glanced around in obvious confusion and distaste. Indoors felt suddenly suffocating and cramped. "If I don't find the information right away, I can return tomorrow..." She wrinkled her nose and threw a longing look toward the door.

6. - Top - End - #96

Zarraema:

The priestess nodded, "The Temple, then, so long as they'll accept us. I'm certain our things will be safer with us than in a locked room in a large establishment."

Violet eyes glance over her shoulder to Kelzir, he still believes I want to strike him...it won't do to ask for the horses, he would go fetch and saddle ours, himself... "Will the three of you be able to bear it if we walk? I would prefer to stretch my legs, and the rain will let up, I'm sure."
    Last edited by Zarrae; 2007-07-09 at 06:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97

Jessamyn

The paladin considered her horse, Ghost, for a moment, but after the long ride with the caravan and getting caught in the rain, she was reluctant to pull the mare from the stablehands' care. She nodded slowly to Zarraema.

"I can bear it, yes. If you all wish to seek the Temple now, I have no objections."

8. - Top - End - #98

Etsia

Etsia grinned. "Don't have a horse." And with that the little druid half-ran out, stopping once she was just outside to look up and let out a relieved whistle-call to her hawk friend.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

As if on queue, the pitter-patter of the rain falling on the slate and wood roof began to lessen and then eventually died out completely.many of the patrons in the taproom began to pack their belongings up and pay their tabs. Some even drop a handful of coins on the tables and exit without bothering with their change...leaving a tip you suspect.

More people filter in and take the newly vacant chairs, and more move off into the archway, connecting the General Goods store next door. The sun doesn't quite peek out, but the skies do slightly lighten up.

Ancient Kingdoms Campaign Sourcebook: Available Now!
    Ancient Kingdoms - Gothmoor: Nation of Shadows : In Progress

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

As if on queue, the pitter-patter of the rain falling on the slate and wood roof began to lessen and then eventually died out completely.many of the patrons in the taproom began to pack their belongings up and pay their tabs. Some even drop a handful of coins on the tables and exit without bothering with their change...leaving a tip you suspect.

More people filter in and take the newly vacant chairs, and more move off into the archway, connecting the General Goods store next door. The sun doesn't quite peek out, but the skies do slightly lighten up.

11. - Top - End - #101

Fistar

The rogue watched as the almost naked tatooed wild elf skipped happily out the door and the rest following her. He then sighed seeing the coins dropped casually onto the nearby tables, his hand involuntarily spasmed as if on its own accord it wanted to reach out and take them. Instead Fistar, reached down and picked up his pack, and the extra key that was still on the table. He followed the rest of them out, since he didn't want lose them quite yet, the pack was light as it was, so carrying it around shouldn't be a problem, he could drop it off later, besides if the gold elf was correct in his directions the temple was only about two blocks away.

"Wel..." as he walked out side noticing that the rain was slowly letting up "... if that gold elf was correct the temple should be about 2 blocks from here, One block east and one block south, it will be on your left. If I recalled correctly," Fistar looked around and noticed the sign next door to the Inn, "The Haversack". "I know you people want to be on your way, give me a moment, I just want to buy a good cloak to help keep the rain off. " He head to door and entered the shop.
    Fistar
    Talk is cheap.
    Cheap is good

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

You walk down the street and turn North, heading towards the temple.
    The smell of fresh rain is thick in the air, cooling the entire city off. The cobbles under your feet steaming as the rain began to evaporate in the hot sub tropical climate.

You turn the corner and you can see the huge sandstone temple ahead on the left. Huge and massive, the steeple has a sort of nautical crow's nest as a large set of shields hand from chains. On each shield can be seen a golden gauntlet, the symbol of Torm. People mill around the front of the temple, and as you get closer, you see clerics and priests handing out food and provisions to those downtrodden souls. You are still about a hundred feet from the steps of the temple but you can see the area around the temple itself is clean. and I don't mean clear of litter or garbage, but the sandstone has been washed on the sides of the temple, and the cobbles in front of the temple almost seem to shine, from the numerous washings and scrubbings. It shows the devotion the priests and those loyal to Torm take care for their church.

You have the strange feeling you are being watched...Ever since leaving the Inn. There are eyes upon you...but from where you cannot see.

13. - Top - End - #103

Fistar

The wood elf stood in the entrance to the shop, taking a quick look around, he then glanced back into the street and then muttered, "Fine ignore me." as he watched the group head down the street. He sighed and looked at the shopkeeper and grumbled, "I'll come back another time."

Fistar exited the shop and raced off to catch up with the group. He then looked around at the crowd, "Hmmm do you get this feeling that we are being watched? I remember one time, I had this feeling and it turned out, it was this little waif of a child following, she got into her mind that I was her father." He continued to chat, explaining how he had to set her straight, all the while he scanned the crowd and looked briefly behind the group just in case they were being followed.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot - (1d20+1)[2](3)

edit: ok I spotted my imaginary friend, who is green has red hair and has elephant ears.

Last edited by Tsol; 2007-07-09 at 11:07 AM.
    Fistar
    Talk is cheap.
    Cheap is good

14. - Top - End - #104

KELZIR

The paranoia of the Underdark still served well, even on the surface. The feelings of being watched were impossible to ignore as he followed Zarraema, still a pace behind. The nattering of the other was becoming a problem as it made his normally keen hearing all but useless. He shifted his position in a step to be fully behind his Mistress as he carried their things, better that he should catch a blade in the back instead of her.

His eyes scanned subversively through the crowds, as only a slave of the Underdark could. To look without looking was the best defense in a place where torment and abuse were just the way of life. The condition of the temple was lost on him, ignored because it was not his place to speculate on it. Temples meant sacrifice, and for him it was doubly dangerous as the priestesses of Lolth would frequently pick a random slave to place on the altar and cut out their heart with the eight bladed knives.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check for those following.
    (1d20+2)[19](21)

Spoiler
    Show

Looks like Kelzir sees everything ... yay for a good roll for once.
    Last edited by Edonil; 2007-07-09 at 07:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Zarraema:

A lifetime of pampering in her House did nothing to dull the training given in Lolth's temple during her formative years as a priestess; that, as well as the many years of holding Kelzir's leash gave her the experience to sense his tension. Something is going to happen...and if it harms him, it will taste my sword. She felt Kelzir's shift in possition and forced a guardedly neutral expression - Maiden forgive what I've done to him...

Carefully, but without Kelzir's subtlety, she peered around, trying to catch a glimpse of anything suspicious. The pristine condition of Torm's temple did not escape her, and, in fact, found it rather beautiful and refreshing. Had there not been a sense of danger, she would probably have even smiled. Instead, a foreboding sense of impending doom settled over her as she continued stalking after the Wild Elf and Paladin.

Spoiler
    Show

((There was supposed to be a roll here, will do it in the OOC section to avoid a multiple post. - Seems I rolled a 3. <winces>))
    Last edited by Zarrae; 2007-07-09 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Re-write. Same text, different order.

16. - Top - End - #106

Jessamyn

The wood elf is annoying, but he does have a point, the paladin thought. Even at the head of the column, it was hard to miss Fistar's nattering.

The sight of the Temple made her heart swell with pride, but as much as she wanted to run up the steps and hug the nearest priest--home! normalcy!--that would be undignified. Not to mention that there was the suspicious feeling.

Not the best at subterfuge, she turned her head this way and that to scan the crowd, green eyes sharp and a slight frown on her face. Straightforward as she might be, she felt the first twitchings of an urge to cram a sock in Fistar's mouth.

Spoiler
    Show
    rolling on next post since I screwed up the spoiler tag the first time and invalidated the roll

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by bluenihil; 2007-07-09 at 10:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+3)[20](23)

18. - Top - End - #108

Etsia

Something was following them. It felt a little like that feeling you got at the base of your skull when a predator was on your tail. Etsia's long ears twitched a little, but otherwise she kept her gaze at the temple -- so much cold stone. She glanced up and to the side for a moment and the hawk on the top of her backpack took flight to a seemingly random direction, its sharp eyes looking for the following predator.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot for Etsia:
    Spot - (1d20+6)[1](7)

Spot for the hawk:
    Spot - (1d20+14)[5](19)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone rolling over 15:
    Spoiler
    Show

On the third floor rooftop of the building across the street from the temple, two heads bob up over the side for a split second. Then as you spot them, they dissapear over the edge. Indistinguishable, but very prominent.

Anyone rolling over 19:
    Spoiler
    Show

On the third floor rooftop of the building across the street from the temple, two heads bob up over the side for a split second. Then as you spot them, they dissapear over the edge. One was elven due to the ears and the other was thick..possibly a big human, maybe a half orc.

A balding cleric, his clothing mark him as a high cleric, walks down the steps toward his armored paladin (Jessamyn)
    "Greetings! Greetings! Young paladin, Torm opens his gauntleted hands and arms to you and welcomes you home. You will find refreshment inside as well as clean clothes and a bath if you wish. Your friends with you are welcome as well and do not be afraid to ask for any assistance from any of my Tormites." The high cleric's blue eyes and disarming smile beam at you all as he waves a hand behind him, sweeping towards the front doors of the temple.

You still have that feeling of being watched.

20. - Top - End - #110

Jessamyn

The paladin took note of their observers, but as they were on the rooftop there was no way to confront them immediately. She fixed what little she had seen in her memory and turned her attention to the priest.

"Holy Champion," she said, drawing up into a formal salute before cracking a relieved grin. "Thank you for the welcome. My companions have come seeking the assistance of the Temple--this one at least, Etsia," she said, indicating the tiny druid. "Priest Sendilvahl indicated that the Temple has an extensive library that could aid her. And I have been assigned...and come for guidance."

She followed swiftly in the priest's wake, thought glanced back and beckoned for the others to follow if they seemed reluctant.

21. - Top - End - #111

Etsia

Etsia nodded seriously at the cleric, then glanced briefly up to see the hawk circling around a spot in the rooftops before it swooped down to land on her backpack again. A screech of danger, and she nodded at the hawk as well before letting out a small hawk-shriek of her own. Danger over. No time to climb on the rooftops now, they just had to keep their eyes open later. The hawk ruffled its feathers in obvious objection and reluctance, but stayed on the pack.

"Hello." She nodded at the cleric again. "My name is Etsia and I am looking for an animal." She paused and considered her words, then continued. "Information about an animal I have not seen before. I need to know what it is and where it lives. I was told you have a big library." Another pause and she tilted her head, looking up at the cleric. "Can I look?" Yet another moment and she remembered to add one more word. "Please?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

THe high priest listened to the druidess and nodded with closed eyes to her. He spun on his heels and clapped, one of the younger and less influential acolytes ran up and froze. The high priest leaned down to whisper into the boy's ear and then watched as the boy waved them all onward.

"Young Oryic here will accompany you and show you to our library. Our new Library is one of the most grand in the Trade Ward here and we boast, in all of Gothmoor as well!" The high priest smiled and then paid the druidess no more attention and was instantly attached to the paladin's side.

"So tell me champion, what news of the outside world? Where did you originate from? Are you from the North? We have a temple in Waterdeep. Have you any news from there for me?" The priest asked Jessamyn with an almost endless line of questions.

"The library is most sufficent, Lady Etsia. I spend most of my days, when not on door watch, in the library copying books. If it is an animal you seek. I may be able to point you in the corect direction. There are easily enough books here to keep one thumbing through until he dropped dead of old age." THe acolyte moved ahead and opened the door escorting your group through and turning his head as he walked to look at your elven face, looking for some more information.

The hallway into the temple was long. every step you took cooled the temperature off until the inside of the temple was a nice 70 degrees. The liestone and sandstone kept the sun from baking the air inside. You pass many armed guards, full platemail and wielding halberds and shields. Of course the moment they see the high priest, they snap to attention. Their helmets make a slight squaking noise as metal rubs on metal as their heads all turn to watch the dark elves' every move. A new group of eyes are watching you, but at least you know the intentions of the guards.

23. - Top - End - #113

Etsia

Etsia nodded. "It was a small predator. It looked like a fox, but unlike any fox I have ever seen. It was pure white and it had fur to drive any hunter wild of excitement. Its tail was long and bushy, almost the size of the animal itself. And its eyes were black as the nightsky, sharp but unreadable. And it looked at me, into me..." She trailed off and followed the acolyte in silence for a moment, then blinked back to the present moment. "I need to find out where it lives and go there."

24. - Top - End - #114

Fistar

The rogue looked on watching and listening to the conversation, a few times he wanted to step in and say something, but before he could another question was asked, or responded to. He shifted from foot to foot, slightly agitated and grumbling under his breath as he listened. His eyes looked around as they walked examining every nook and crannie of the hall. He frowned slightly noticing the amount of guards around.

Finding a moment of lull in the conversation, he blurted out, "This is a large library, I'm always looking for interesting information on old history, places where treasure can maybe found. " smiling at Oryic, "I remember the time, I found this old map in this house, someone must have dropped it. Anyways I followed the directions on it to a large 'X'. " he continued on for a moment describing the location in great detail, and how he had dug at the location and only found a box of children toys. "..... and let me tell you it was quite the disappointment all this trouble for some measly children toys. " he finished.
    Fistar
    Talk is cheap.
    Cheap is good

25. - Top - End - #115

Jessamyn

The paladin blinked, surprised at the rapid-fire questioning. When she had a chance to break in politely, she told the high priest, "Lapalgard, I've come from Lapalgard. The Cardinal sent me here to assist at your temple, against whatever threat there might be. We've heard--" She paused and lowered her voice slightly, glancing back at her companions--possibly an attempt at secrecy, but so blatant as to be silly. "We'd heard rumors of necromancers, Holy Champion. And undead. But I see that this is a strange place in all ways..."

26. - Top - End - #116

Zarraema:

That her not-so-covert search had left her with no new information, did not disquiet her as much as the overly friendly greeting they'd received. It seemed odd to her, that pales would welcome Dark Elves into Torm's temple without pause. The guards were, more than likely, their assurance that no one would be trouble.

Looking back to be sure that Kelzir was unhurt, she smiled - a private, gentle smile that traveled all the way to her violet eyes. A smile that barely touched her lips and said more than any words in any language that she knew. A smile that she had only ever shared with him - to assure him that everything would be alright. Tonight... tonight, I take his collar and let him go free... then dance until I cannot move and beg the Maiden's forgiveness for remaining as unenlightened as our kin. ...tomorrow, I go on without my..without him.

Dwelling on the depressing thought of leaving him with the pales, she stepped after Jessamyn and her talkative cleric friend, hoping to learn a little of the temple, itself, instead of their books.

27. - Top - End - #117

KELZIR

He stopped on the steps for a moment, a visible tremor passed through his body and his eyes widened. He stared straight ahead, as though looking into another place at another time. A nearly overwhelming surge of recollections passed through his mind and his shoulders hunched downward as if he were trying to vanish where he stood.

He followed the other dumbly, trying in vain to make himself as unobtrusive as possible. He shied away from the guards stationed at their posts, and his eyes never left the floor. And when the younger priest asked his questions, he winced.

His breath caught in his chest and he gasped for air, quietly as he could to avoid drawing the attention of any clergy around. He misstepped, tripping over nothing as one of his legs tried to buckle under him. The motion carried him closer to Zarraema, and he stopped near her. His eyes were flicking this way and that, seeking, watching, warding, and there was a nearly palpable aura of fear surrounding him.
    Last edited by Edonil; 2007-07-12 at 08:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Zarraema:

Kelzir's fear confused her, at first. This was, after all, Torm's temple, surely there was no need to be terrified of such a place. Her own memories jolted her back to her days in Lolth's temple; blood, screams, eight-bladed terror... She could taste and smell is his discomfort and stopped in her tracks.

Carefully, trying not to spook him further, the tall priestess turned and did her best to cover her pained expression with a gentle mask. This was, after all, her own doing - this pain was her fault. Lowering her voice to tones she hoped were only audible to the bard, she whispered, "Kelzir, I would greatly appreciate a calming song, if you would like? Perhaps we could find a quiet place, away from the rest." It took all of her strength not to reach up and pet the side of his face for comfort, as she used to do so just before striking him out of petulance. It wouldn't do to unsettle him further.

How can I erase those memories from him and ease his pain? ...think. Dark Lady, guide me..
    Last edited by Zarrae; 2007-07-12 at 09:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

KELZIR

"Yes, Mistress."

The reply was less than a whisper, it would have barely disturbed a feather had it been placed before his mouth. It was an autonomous response, no emotion held within it what-so-ever. His mouth was filled with sand, and his feet made of clay.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Acolyte Oryic kept pace beside the determined druidess. His eyes watched how she moved and was in awe of his first vision of a wild elf. He wanted to drill her with thousands of questions. He wanted to know everything there was to know about living and being a wild elf, but he knew better of it. OryicMoved around a corner and up to a set of huge double doors. Each door was intricately carved in the shape of a huge book. where the door handles were, was the spot where one might close a leather strap to protect the book. On the main face of each "book" door, was a huge Open gauntleted hand palm forward, and in the palm was a carved lion's head with closed jaw. The work was amazing, and each door had to weigh easily half a ton. THe door itself was 20' high. With the slightest push and smile, Oryic pushed the right door inward and it swung as if it weighed nothing.

Inside can only be described as the largest and most extensive library you have ever seen. Shelves that go through the first floor into the second floor and up to the ceiling. The shelves seem to be part of the building itself and and columns flank the sides of every bookshelf. There is a lower floor, and a section of the ground floor is cut out of the center of the room, as a sort of super wide balcony. mons and priests move about above and below, restacking book, replacing book, and siting and copying books. A few people in armor or adventuring gear are also roaming about.

"As High Priest has said, we offer one of the most extensive libraries in all of the Shining South." Oryic said with beaming pride due to the fact, his first eight years of his life had ben copying these books to make duplicates.
    "If you're looking for "Animals", it would be in that shelf there, next to "Alchemy" and "Acids". Oryic Walks towards where he is pointing to.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

High Priest Dentlor Looks to Jessamyn and nods, also looking over his shoulder seeing the two Dark Elves. His eyes turn back to the paladin after she speaks. "Yes indeed necromancy and the undead have plagued Gothmoor in recent history. Why, just four winters ago marked the end of a three year war against an invasion of undead from unchecked Necromancers. Knowledge is free and no one should be barred from anything, but Necromancers of the South seem ed to think their powerlusting and actions were above the law. This brought down the Necromancer registration Law from the Crown. All necromancers within Gothmoor are registered and tagged. Any necromancy done within the walls of Gothmoor.....or beneath it, leaves a magical residue on these Worshppers of the dead arcane's tag and can be tracked or recorded."

High priest Dentlor makes a gesture of holiness to Torm before continuing. "We have actually lost our original Temple to Torm, during the war, and it has since been marked off limits until the Crown could muster enough men to go in and clear the temple out and consecrate the stones within once again. We managed to get most of our belongings out, butt he war turns soldiers into looters, and not much remains inside."
    High priest Dentlor points out a small chapel off the main library where many scholars go to pray and shows the Dark elves a few sections of books of gathered knowledge from the Underdark as well as a quiet darkened nook with a rounded bench in it.
    Last edited by Jeggred Von; 2007-07-12 at 01:02 PM.