New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Kitsune House! IC

"That fiend must be transforming you!" Suiko exclaims, reaching around Patricia as though to hold her close. One hand makes a quick gesture as she does, and she breathes a word of supplication to her deity. "You're slipping right through my arms," she says loudly. "It's like holding sand...Calistria's dagger, you're falling." Smirking slightly, she works to spin the magic, reaching right through Patricia's mind and into her kneecaps.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting command: fall on Patricia. Concealed spell again, DC 26 with a +1 on their roll this time. DC 19 Will save to resist.
    Concentration: (1d20+9)[17]
    Please don't capitalize my name.

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

"What, no I'm..." Patricia begins to answer in a whisper, but catchers herself, lips twisting a sly grin. She clams down harder on Suiko and goes limp, putting all her weight on the kitsune even as she rubs her soaking form into Suiko's fur like a big, warm, living towel. "Wait, I feel it. I'm falling! Catch me, Suiko! Don't let me collapse!" She squeezes harder, shivering violently---perhaps not entirely from cold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Suiko knows the TA's faking, since the spell failed, but Patricia is selling this for all she's worth.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't think I can," Suiko says, "accidentally" falling with the teacher's assistant. "You're slipping right through my grip. It's like...like trying to hold on to sand. How did he manage this?" Her tone is more curious than horrified, which, really, is her more likely reaction to actually having a fellow student be transformed into inanimate sand.

In case that isn't enough, she decides to spin another illusion over Patricia's mind, clouding her senses enough that she might genuinely believe she's being transformed.

Show
    Going for a silent image this time, replacing visible skin with sand. Will DC 17 to resist, concealed spell with a +1 bonus on the check.
    Concentration: (1d20+9)[18]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

"No, no! You can hold me!" Patricia replies with all the melodrama she can summon. A considerable amount, as it turns out. She drapes herself over Suiko, all but tying the kitsune's tails around her in a fuzzy harness to secure her vice-like grip.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Suiko snarls, showing more and pointier teeth than most people would like to contemplate on her. No, I can't," she says, once again shaping her goddess's name with her lips as she breathes in. "You're dropping right through my hands." She barely even tries to hide the fact that she's pronouncing a spell this time, too frustrated with Patricia's unexpected stubbornness to bother.

Show
    Trying for command: drop this time to get her to let me go. DC 19 Will save to resist, concealed spell with a +1 on their check.
    Concentration: (1d20+9)[15]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

This time the spell works, and Patricia releases her grip--all her grips--and drops to the ground like a sack of sand. "Ouch!" She squeaks, landing hard on her coccyx. She seems stunned for a moment before one hand reaches back unconsciously to rub her bruised rump. The other, perhaps equally unconsciously, reaches out towards Suiko's rump.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

"You see? You slipped right through my fingers," Suiko says, standing and stepping away. "And look, you got sand all over my fur. Wet sand, even." She brushes the front of her robe, staring at Patricia and focusing her mind on weaving another illusion. This one projects the image of grains of sand on her robes and fur, and more sand all over the floor, and covering Patricia herself. "I'm all in favor of a good time, but at least pay attention to what's happening to you," she says scornfully.

A moment later, though, her expression shifts into a sly smile. "That's all right, though," she says. "I'm sure we can still have some fun, even if you are made of sand now. And it looks like you still have your mind, so really, it could be worse."

Show
    Stand up and five foot step away, then cast silent image for the appearance of wet sand everywhere. DC 17 Will save to disbelieve if interacted with. Concealed casting. Don't think I'm grappled anymore, thankfully.
    Bluff: (1d20+18)[33]

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Patricia's eyes widen as she glances down at the sand. It was everywhere, and some of its damp clumps still held the distorted suggestion of her own form. "No...no, what did you do to me?" She moans. "This won't do! Not at all! I have classes and tests! And how are we supposed to do anything fun? What, are you going to dump me in a sand box and root around?"

"That's quite enough, now." The Professor announces, her smile beaming as bright as the beacon atop Palin's lighthouse. "Quite and impressive performance, Suiko. Indeed, a less for everyone in the importance of subtlety and perseverance in our art. It's inevitable that your enchantments will fail, but skillfully masking your casting, a creative use of ancillary magics, and artful inveiglement can still let you turn a situation back in your favor. Really, I believe that the entire class could take a lesson from exemplary effort. Please, take your seat."

She adds, whispering. "I'm so proud of you, really."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you, Professor," Suiko says, dropping into an elaborate formal curtsy. When she straightens, her form is a near-perfect mimic of the Professor's, though her clothing remains the same. "It is always a pleasure to to perform our art." She glances at Patricia and smirks. "You should visit Kitsune House some time. We could have a lot of fun with you." She turns and saunters away, staring intently at Schwartz as she casts one last parting spell. Then she takes her seat, still in the form of the Professor, and watches as the tests continue.

Show
    Casting Bungle, DC 19 to resist. Concealed casting.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh? I'd heard from the Dean of Students that Kitsune House isn't as fun as it used to be." The Professor answers, looking down at her grading book for the next name. "He's rarely wrong about such things. He sees to it."

But she hardly needs to announce the next name, as Ms. Susanna Schwartz, a a mousey, buck-toothed, bespectacled young woman in the patchwork robes of a student utterly bereft of means, is already limping up to the head of the class in her badly worn and mismatched shoes. Rumor has it that the girl had been little more than a pickpocket on the docks before succeeding the entrance exam. She doesn't notice Suiko's magic at all, being far too focused on her looming exam.

She draws her scrolls, looks at them, and grins before handing them to the Professor. Dr. Ross drops them in the bag at her feet, where Kiyanna can see the one on top.

Convince the subject that you've swallowed her money.

Ms. Schwartz stands in front of Patricia and casts a simple charm. She doesn't bother to hide it, and the spell takes hold easily. The TA is still loopy on slaver's drops and kitsune tale, after all.

"P--patty. Could I see your purse for a moment?"
    Susanna stammers.

"All right, but I know exactly how many coins are in there to the last copper."
    Patricia answers, handing over a fat little pouch of coin.

Susanna pours the contents out in her hand. about twenty gold coins, from the look of it. Little more than pocket change for Ms. Penistone, but likely more than Susanna had to her name. She rolls the coins around in her palm for a moment before snatching the pile up to her mouth and giving an exaggerate swallow. For a practiced pickpocket, it should be a simple trick to slip those coins up a voluminous sleeve and stash them in one of the many pockets sewn into those patches. And that's where most of the gold ends up. But not all of it.

"Guh..." Susanna claws at her throat, her eye wide with shock as she makes inarticulate gurgles. "Gurp."

"Come off it, Suzy. No one is buying that. You're just trying to trick me in into thinking you swallowed my money." Patricia rolls her eyes and turns back to drink from her glass of drugged water. "Just hand it back now."

"Hurk" Mrs. Schwartz answers, pounding her chest with a balled fist.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

The jostle of Suiko sitting down next to him (Brogue's sleeping form having quickly moved to fill all the space it had available) finally awakens the napping kitsune. Stretching, yawning, and violating his neighbors' personal space one last time, Brogue takes stock of the room for the first time in ages, managing, however, to remain blissfully unaware of Suiko's modification to his facial fur. "You all did great!" he observes fraudulently, "oh, and Suzy's doing a fantastic job, too. I've seen that exact throat-clutch in actual choking victims; didn't know she was an actor--she must have practiced a lot."

Of course, a talented young woman like that (with the kind of connections the aristocratic Brogue can only wildly assume she would have from growing up in such poverty) is of great interest to the herbalist, and he adds, "we should bring her over to the House some time."
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Suiko grins and leans back in her chair. "Oh, yes," she says. "She's doing wonderfully. Naturally, she has no particular intention of helping to defuse the situation she created, and so she simply sits and watches the woman choke.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Susanna gropes about for help, knocking the carafe from the Professors' desk to shatter on the floor, grabbing a fist full of Patricia's robes before the teacher's assistant forcefully bats her hands away.

"I don't know what illusion you're using to turn your lips blue, Suzy, but I'm not falling for it, so you can just stop. Even that slacker in the back with the stupid haircut can see you're faking."

"Blurgle..." Susanna whimpers, and turns her bugged-eyes toward the Professor.

"Oh, dear. A failure."
    Professor Ross sighs. "If someone wants to save Ms. Schwartz, there will be extra credit."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Kyoni stood up, hurrying up to the stage so she could get the girl's mouth open. Extra credit and a grateful student sounded pretty good. She hadn't been paying much attention to the goings on before it was clear it wasn't just good acting, but this got her attention quick enough. "Reach in and retrieve the coin," she instructed the invisible servant she kept on hand, nodding to the student's mouth. She was glad she didn't need to waste time casting.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Moving up, and I presume there isn't much trouble getting her mouth at least a little open. Unseen Servant was already cast, so no need for anything extra there.
    Last edited by QuidEst; 2016-12-17 at 07:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Suiko, upon hearing that the professor wants someone to save the choking girl, stands and flicks her fingers in a quick gesture. The gesture is completely unrelated to the spellcasting, of course, which depends only on her concentration and sheer, focused willpower. But for once she wants to be seen as she conjures slippery grease inside of Susanna's throat, hopefully rendering it slick enough to let the coins slip through easily.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

There's a scramble at the promise of extra credit, a half-dozen bodies either rushing to help or gesticulating madly to cast first. Fortunately for you, none of the other students are particularly well versed in anatomy, and the several magically empowered suggestions to "just stop choking already" don't quite seem to do the job--though they do make Ms. Schwartz pretend not to be dying of accidental gold inhalation, poorly. It turns out that she's unable to reverse her cyanotic pallor through force of will. Who would have guessed?

Fortunately, Kitsune House! is well versed in solving choking-related problems, do to a string of incident involving people and object best not mentioned where authority figures (moral or temporal) might be able to listen in. Suko casts a simple spell lining the fading student's windpipe with a completely safe, effective, and temporary lubricant while Kyoni directs her elastic magical servant to stretch its transparent pseudopod down the poor woman's throat and retrieve the coin.

The combination is an effective one, and Susanna sucks in a desperate lungful of sweet oxygen as the coin is yanked free of her gullet.

"Still think she was faking." Patricia mutters as the Ms. Schwartz continues to gasp.

Professor Ross turns back a page in her grade book to mark down the extra credit, a check by both your names, but before she can announce the next student up she is interrupted by a clap from the back of the room.

Then another.

A third, a second latter.

A fourth, and they keep coming for some time. A glacially slow metronome tick of startlingly loud applause from a black-robed figure who slipped through the back door of the classroom during the excitement--Dean Wolfe. No one else joins in, not with the glare the Dean is laying down on the students. Cold grey eyes darting from face to face, sizing them up like a famished predator picking his next meal from the herd. His gaze lingers and extra beat on each member of Kitsune House!

Finally the clapping stops, and the Dean flashes a bare crescent of custard yellow dentition between his thin lips. "Most impressive, novices. It touches my heart to see students who care for one another, look after one another, like that. Really, a superb show of teamwork. One would think you'd practiced such a thing, though I can't imagine why."

Then he gives an exaggerated sigh. "It's just too bad that my business here isn't to congratulate you two for your quick thinking. But, alas, I've been informed of certain...improprieties in this class room." He reaches behind himself and grabs something. A gnome, its turns out. Aluicious McGlugendoodle finds himself yanked violently forward from where he'd been cowering behind the Dean's voluminous robes. "I have it on good authority that one or more of you is using proscribed substances. Indeed, that they are intoxicated at that this very moment."

"Pfff. That's ridiculous. Who would get high before a test?" The teacher's assistant exclaims, and takes her last sip of water. She reaches out to refill her glass from the carafe, but then notices that the glassware was knocked over and broken by Susanna's flailing.

Professor Ross gives her typical smile, though those near her might note the slight grinding noise coming from those pearly teeth. "Dean Wolfe, we're in the middle of a tightly scheduled exam here. Can this not wait until later?"

"No, Constance." He stresses the Professor's first name. "I'm afraid it cannot. For, you see, it was the subject of your test who is doped. I'll need to take some samples for testing, and if the testimony is confirmed, I fear I'll be forced to void all grades for this course if the guilty party doesn't come forward. In the meantime, I'll be taking Ms. Penistone to fill these vials." He produces a pair of empty glass tube, both rather large. "I have a syringe for the blood. For the other...there's an apparatus to facilitate collection in the alchemical lab lavatory."

"What...that's ridiculous!"

"I'll want to test your drinking glass as well."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Kyoni assessed the situation as coolly as she could manage, after getting over the initial shock. There were a couple ways to get out of this, potentially.

Method the first, aka method the worst: put a mental whammy on Wolfe directly. That could be discarded out of hand, since if that sort of thing worked on the Dean, he wouldn't be the Dean by now.

Method the second: sabotage the evidence. That would be difficult. The Dean was collecting it personally, and had his guard up right now. If somebody could run to the machine, it might be possible to do something there, but tampering there would be taken as proof equivalent to a positive result, unless completely concealed. Her only available magic at present with any direct effect would be to turn the water into mead or wine, but that was intentionally temporary. If it could manage something clear, it might work. On the other hand, vodka might invalidate results just as much.

Method the third: frame somebody. The grades would only be invalidated if nobody stepped forward. But if the perpetrator would be questioned and expelled, who would do that? It would be best to avoid compulsions if possible, the better to pass inspection. Well, the obvious answer then was somebody who wanted to be expelled. One of their classmates had just nearly died, and would be thinking hard about the fatality rate the school was infamous for. It couldn't be discussed right away, but it made the most sense.

In the meantime, she waited patiently for the Dean to collect what he came for.

Spoiler: When the coast is a Wolfe-free.
    Show
    While the rest of the class was distracted by the Dean's departure, Kyoni whispered to Susanna, "Listen. You nearly choked to death in the enchantment final. What do you think is going to happen when you hit the conjuration final? You've got a long life ahead of you if it's somewhere safer. This might be your chance- whoever cops to whatever this drugging thing is gets a one-way ticket out of here to safety. Makes sense for you to have decided to come clean after you almost died, after all."

(Diplomacy: (1d20+14)[25])

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Wolfe makes a show of sauntering to the front of the class, purposely fluttering his stark black robe to show off the silver embroidered embellishments that marked his rank at the Acadamae. As he walks he produces the promised syringe from one of the many pouches on his belt, a container far to small to contain the device with its large-bored needle. Patricia's eyes widen at the thing, its business end nearly as large as a wood nail.

"Hold still for a moment and this won't make too much of a mess." The Dean says, grabbing the TA's arm. Belatedly he withdraws two more objects from his pouches, a length of rope and a dowel wrapped in leather. The quickly binds the woman's arm with the rope and stuffs the dowel in her mouth. "You'll want to bite on this." He says as he drive the needle home.

Kyoni, with the Dean distracted by Patricia's squirming and barely muffled shrieks, plies Susanna. The woman wavers, you can tell that she's considering the idea, but something its holding her back. "I...I don't want to go back to the streets. Do you even know what it's like there? I might get a ticket out, but it won't be to safety." She rasps back. "If I get booted from here, it will have to be with something valuable enough that I don't have to go back to dipping pockets."
    Take a deep breath.
    Take a step back.
    And wonder how you can make it funnier.
    -Ilorin Lorati

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

"That is why we hire you back on as a maid or whatnot. You'll have room, board, and a chance to learn what you want without deadly examinations," Kyoni replied. "How's that sound?" She gave a warm smile, satisfied to have a shot at saving their exam results, ideally without a telltale enchantment on the fall gal.
    Last edited by QuidEst; 2017-02-08 at 09:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Susanna looks incredulous for all of three second before her eyes narrow with the hungry cunning of a fox eying a chink in the hen house wall. "Deal." She whispers.

Then, far louder. "P-please, Dean Wolfe...stop." Susanna announces, her voice breaking. Fists shoot up to here eyes, a clever simulation of distress to cover her knuckles surreptitiously jamming into the sockets hard enough to redden the orbs and elicit meager tear production. "It...it was me. I Ms. Penistone...for all the good it did."

Wolfe does some eye-narrowing of his own, obviously less than entirely convinced. Or perhaps just annoyed that his maneuver has revealed to wrong target. "Very well, then, Ms... Schwartz, I believe? Ms. Schwartz, if you'd be so kind as to admit what substance you used. For the completeness of the record, of course."
    Take a deep breath.
    Take a step back.
    -Ilorin Lorati

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

"Aw, who cares," Suiko drawls in that unique middle-of-the-crowd voice which is loud enough to carry and yet indistinct enough that it's hard to say who in the crowd produced it. "This is enchantment class, not alchemy. Expel her and move on."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Dean Wolfe turns slowly to face Suiko, one exquisitely sculpted eyebrow raised in forehead-creasing arch so high and pointed that it's damned near to gothic. "And why, pray tell, would you care enough to interrupt the Dean of Students?" He growls in a tone that clearly implies that he knows the answer, even if he can't prove it. "Surely you know that the nature of the intoxicant will have a significant bearing upon the punishment. A simple dose of pesh concentrate might result in a week scrubbing the floors of the transmutation labs. A more rare and potent intoxicant--dream spider venom, for instance--might mean she finds herself being scrubbed off the floor of the transmutation labs."

"Dean Wolfe, really. I find this entirely inappropriate. The art of enchantment is well known to involve trickery, deceptions, and, indeed, rather underhanded methods. This is hardly beyond the..."

"Professor, do I need to remind you of the rules against performing unauthorized experiments on live subject by students, including, but not limited to, surreptitious application of substances chemical and alchemical."
    The Dean cuts her off. "Authorization must, of course, be pre-approved in writing."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll need a social roll and/or something meatier if you're going to try to derail him.
    Take a deep breath.
    Take a step back.
    -Ilorin Lorati

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

"My next class starts in twenty minutes," Suiko says. Her tone is sharp, the unexpected challenge burning off the last of the spider-induced haze. "I have an illusion quiz that I don't intend to fail because I was busy waiting here for you to decide what to do with one cheater who wasn't even good enough to pass a test while cheating. Unless you'd like to notify the professor that I was unavoidably detained because of circumstances outside my control, of course." Her tone turns sweet at the end, as though she's genuinely trying to reach a compromise. Only a certain wicked gleam in her eyes suggests that she knows perfectly well that the Dean would rather stab himself in the liver than do her such a favor.

Show
    I honestly have no idea what her next class is, but that seems plausible enough. I'll roll bluff just in case: (1d20+14)[34], +4 if the target could be sexually attracted to her, -2 Sense Motive for anyone whom she's won over with Diplomacy in the past 24 hours.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Dean Wolfe looks down on Suiko with a cold glare. Looks down figuratively, of course. He's not a particularly tall man, even with the thick heels of his gleaming black boots, but somehow he manages an air of superiority in spite of his literal stature.

But as much authority as the Dean wields, even he is loathe to cross the dreaded Rombastle Falgeringer, Dean of the college of illusions. The gnome--the only non-human among the school's department heads--was a notorious stickler for rules and apt to hold a grudge over the smallest slight. A student detained from his class without cause would result in a veritable landslide of paperwork on Dean Wolfe's desk, not to mention loud and squeaky whining in the bi-weekly faculty convocation. So Dean Wolfe flinches.

"Very well. I shall have to extract the information from the suspect in private, or test Ms. Penistone here." He collars both of them and heads for the door.

"Dean." Professor Ross protests, her voice somehow both saccharine and acerbic, like one of those lemon candies handed out by the school's ancient and beloved head librarian. "I'll be needing my TA in order to complete the exams. It's hardly a fair test if I change the subject partway through."

The Dean flinches, but releases Ms. Penistone. "Harrumph. Fine. Send her to my office immediately afterwards. I'll need to know what she's on in order to judge the this student's fate properly."

Susanna's eyes narrow, focusing on Kyoni. It doesn't take a mind reader to figure out what she's thinking. Whether or not to sell you out.
    Take a deep breath.
    Take a step back.
    -Ilorin Lorati