New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Last Rites of Winter

The message had arrived in Ambrose on the wings of one of Lord Winter's messenger ravens, bearing the seal of Talisha Collins and a message for the Polemarchos Maldarr. It was written in their tongue by one of clear familiarity, and was but brief.

My lord, the master of Caer Gheimhridh invites you to return to Tir Amser. He claims information pertaining to a woman you held well dear - information that is unsafe to travel even on these wings. Please, come swiftly.

There was naught else, though so confident was he in the reaction the message would elicit that Lord Winter stood expectantly on the balcony of his study, eyes fixed in contemplation on the sea below. His focus drifted but slightly at the arrival of a veiled figure, long a welcome specter in his halls.

<"He comes soon. Are you prepared?">
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2016-04-19 at 04:53 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Rites of Winter

Her stomach fluttered with nerves and excitement in equal measure even as her small bow lips curved into a smile of anticipation at seeing her lover once again. She joined her Lord at his balcony and stared off into the dark sea,

"It has been long and long since my eyes have fallen upon him, and yet in my heart it was but yesterday that he held me in his arms and bade me farewell."
    Her voice held regret, though it was not for her choice to attend Lord Winter in his realm so many years ago, only the regret of a lost love, unrestrained and yet unfulfilled.

"I fear there is no elixir in this realm chill enough to cool the passions between us, and that I shall burn within even as I become glacial without forevermore."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Maldarr clutched the note in his hand as he and Derris made their way on The Red Tide to the shrouded lands of the Winter Court. Periodically he would frown and stare at it, as in effort to glean more information from it through sheer force of will alone. He dare not speak aloud his hopes behind the veiled words, though he didn't have to. Derris could read his mind and heart well enough to know his friend's hopes, and he insisted on traveling with him for support even though it meant missing the Exalted Tournament. Derris's face held a concerned frown, wondering what it would mean if Maldarr's hopes became the truth and he found his long lost love at last.

As they approached the harbor, they were greeted politely, as if their arrival had been expected and they made their way up to the great citadel of Caer Gheimhridh. Unlike the gaiety of their previous journey, the villagers shutters seemed closed against the interlopers intrusion, the high mountain fortress more intimidating than on their previous visit, the mist surrounding it as if to guard the Lord's secrets from the prying eyes of the outsiders. The pair awaited in the entry hall for their guides to notify Lord Winter of their arrival.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Balor Morrig chuckled at Thalia's wistful observation, black eyes flicking down to her.

<"That is a gift to treasure, my lady. Ours is a land of cold passions. Of crystalline, fragile perfections. The memory of summer illuminates them, flashes through them like lightning. And they are grander for it.">

The carriage came into view while he spoke, bearing its precious cargo along the straight road towards his citadel. Its vanguard was a single raven, enormous and of umbral countenance, which landed on the stone rail of the balcony and whispered in the fell half-tongue of its people.

<"He has arrived, and not alone. It seems the Protos has come in support of his friend. Admirable. And all the better to bit farewell to his niece before her journey.">

Far below, the two luminaries of Ambrose were met by Helia Whitstone, wrapped in an ethereal black gown and standing with the serenity of a cathedral.

"Welcome, my lords. Lord Winter awaits in his study. Please, follow me."

She turned, and drifted towards one of the citadel's twining stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #5

Thalia's hand gripped the baulstrade as the carriage came into view, her breath catching in her throat. A dizzying array of emotions struck her momentarily dumb as her heart soared with relief and joy that he loved her still enough to come to her when so beckoned. She turned to Lord Winter, her face ablaze with a fierce triumph,

"I will treasure it as long as my spirit dwells upon this land and shall never again take it for granted." She shuddered that once she had thrown away what had been so dear to her, she had been an utter fool and vowed it would be the last time she would act as foolishly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Derris raised his eyebrow silently at the intimate reception in the silent hall and wordlessly followed the beautiful young woman who seemed vaguely familiar to him, though was undoubtedly Avonlean. Maldarr's countenance was fierce as he determinedly fought to remain in control of himself, and not barge past the woman he recognized as Thalia's long time best friend, Helia Whitstone. The urge to charge up the stairs grew to a maddening pitch, and his hands flexed into his fighting stance instinctively, the note, still held in his desperate grip was crumpled into illegibility as they ascended to Lord Winter's study, the capricious spectre of hope clutching at him as he stared fixedly at Helia's pale hair, so like another's.

As they reached their destination and Helia opened the door and stood aside at last, Maldarr pressed forward into the room and stood motionless as he stared at the woman who manifested from the shadows in front of him. He half keeled over as if stricken a blow to his gut, the wrinkled paper loosed from his hand and fell to the floor unnoticed. When he was able, he uttered only one word, which was spoken in a pained, husky voice that was entirely unlike his normal confident self.

"Thalia." Her name caught in his throat, though he straightened, oblivious of the others in the room.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

7. - Top - End - #7

Thalia stepped from the shadows as Maldarr entered the room. Their eyes locked as he stood and stared at her silently a long while, her heart ached for the pain she knew she had caused him with her sudden disappearance, though she knew then, and indeed still did that it had been what she needed at the time. Just as what she needed now was him. Maldarr uttered her name and she suddenly found herself in his strong arms, her lips raised up in silent invitation for his to meet them, the Lord she regarded so highly momentarily forgotten, though she could sense his icy presence behind her, watching their reunion which he had orchestrated.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

He took her in his arms as if in a dream, his hands caressing her soft golden curls before lowering his face to hers to indulge her silent invitation. He held her close to him, her body familiar against his and the kiss quickly grew in passion.

Derris had stood in mute surprise that his friend's long hoped for dream had at last been realized and he found himself moved despite himself at their display of love so strong and everlasting. Attempting to give the pair some modicum of privacy, his eyes wandered to find Lord Winter's gaze. He found himself regarding the Aeldir with some interest, as he had underestimated the man's proficiency at intrigue and also his regard for mortal love.
    #Notallinfluencers

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Lord Winter's inky eyes met the Protos' gaze before nodding to his fellow ruler. The Aeldir lord seemed different than when last they'd met, somehow more vital despite the unchanged paleness of his visage. He inclined his head towards the lovers reunited and then away, towards the sweeping vista that lay at the far end of the room.

<"Greetings, Protos. Would you care to join me on the balcony? The view is quite spectacular.">
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2016-04-20 at 02:49 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Derris grinned at Lord Winter's delicate suggestion and joined him on his balcony. The view was indeed breathtaking as promised and Derris pulled a flask from his coat,

"Greetings Lord Morrig. Care for some brandy? It's not quite the vintage of the last toast we shared together, though it is quite good and this seems to be a celebratory occasion in it's own way."

Maldarr paid little attention to the two men as held his love in his arms. His lips left hers as he was suddenly overcome, a tear welled and slid down his cheek from his good eye,

"I thought I'd lost you." He held her to him again as if to confirm her reality, his hands smoothing her curls away from her forehead where he bent his head down to kiss.
    #Notallinfluencers

11. - Top - End - #11

"Never." She wiped his tear off of his cheek, her hand leaving a cool trail where it touched his warm skin.

"Never again." She was scared then, and uncertain about what it might mean for him if he chose to stay with her here in Lord Winter's domain. Her path had been set, what her lover's might yet be was unknown to her, she knew only that they must not part if she was to ever have happiness in her life again, no matter how long that life may be.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Keeping his back turned to the lovers' reunion, Balor Morrig accepted the proffered flask and took an appreciative sip of Ambrosian nectar.

<"Quite excellent, Protos. And this is indeed a day worthy of song, for more than one reason. And all the better, in this time of uncertainty.">

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've found them all rather uncertain, though doubtless you have a far broader perspective than I do." Derris spoke wryly, though in truth he felt a pang of jealousy at the Aeldir's apparent immortality. He found it a bitter pill that the Lord of Winter had somehow found his vitality renewed and yet he himself was fading along with his hair color. He reflected that it was another sort of duty for a mortal, to pass and leave the next generation free to rule as they saw fit.

Maldarr felt Thalia's trepidation and looked down at her with determination,

"Whatever it takes I will be with you always, I promise you." He would revoke his country and the standing of his clan if he had to, but he meant his words and in them he felt the burden of duty and his failed marriage lift from his shoulders as he kissed his love with the fervor of his heartfelt commitment to her.
    #Notallinfluencers

14. - Top - End - #14

Thalia could not keep a smile from her lips as she kissed him. This is how it always should have been, her thought was filled with regret, though she tried not to dwell upon the mistakes of the past.

"You could not know what it means to stay in Lord Winter's realm. To linger here must change a person. I am much altered in ways you could not know, though my heart and mind remain wholly yours, as ever." She gazed at him earnestly, needing him to fully understand what it meant to stay here with her, it would not only be his marriage and station he was sacrificing, but something less corporeal, a bit of his very humanity perhaps it might cost him to remain here.
    Last edited by Mary_Sue; 2016-04-22 at 06:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

His crooked grin appeared upon his lips as his hands roamed over her soft golden curls,

"To stay would see me altered and to leave would see me dead, for knowing you yet live and I had left you once again would surely kill me."
    His tone was playful, though his eye held a serious gaze,

"What is a man to do?"
    He spoke with mock regret.

"Say, when do you suppose bed time might be?" He faked a yawn,

"I'm exhausted, aren't you?" His smile turned predatory as he nuzzled her neck, chuckling softly against her soft skin.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2016-04-22 at 06:45 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

16. - Top - End - #16

Thalia was surprised into silence for a moment as Maldarr nuzzled her neck and then uproarious laughter burst from her lips unbidden and she collapsed against him, still laughing in his arms as he held her close.

"How I've missed you." She finally managed to speak between chortles, her eyes glancing sideways at the two rulers on the balcony wondering how closely they may be being watched and laughed again at her temerity.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Maldarr laughed with her and drew her down out of the other men's line of sight. Much giggling could be heard and Derris glanced over despite himself. Nothing of the pair could be seen, and for a moment he was confused until an unfortunately timed realization came to him and caused him to inhale his brandy down his windpipe and he began to cough madly.
    #Notallinfluencers

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Lord Winter smiled at the Protos' reaction, waving away the towering impropriety occurring in the next room.

<"Have no fear, Protos. Thalia is well acquainted with what I truly value. It will be little trouble to replace...">

He paused, tilting his head to one side until he caught the faintest sound of a crash.

<"An end table. Though for their sake I do hope they move to Thalia's chambers. Her bed is quite comfortable.">

He lapsed into silence, his smile fading.

<"Perhaps all times are uncertain, Protos, but these past months have introduced uninvited players to our game. News of a coup in Avonlea spreads on the wind, followed by whispers of a fleet sailing through the Sea of Mists under the banner of the Allied Provinces. Lady Autumn makes preparations to forestall conflict, yet I have doubts that the new High Queen is much interested in peace. To hear Thalia tell it, she may need to be...removed. Would that distress you overmuch, Protos?">
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2016-04-25 at 03:50 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Derris reclaimed his composure as the burning sensation of the brandy trailing down his windpipe ebbed. And though he grinned at Lord Winter's nonchalance of the matter, he had to wonder what this would mean for Willa and Kyanos. A weariness crept over him then, how tired he was of dealing with Kyanos and Willa's bull-headed father, a thought that confirmed his conclusion that it was well past time he let Baram ascend the throne at Castle Eroton. A passing thought was given as to Winter's knowledge of Thalia's bed flickered across his mind briefly before Balor Morrig spoke of Avonlea and the fleet his Nand brethren currently sailed against them.

"We have a history of good relations with Avonlea. We were all quite surprised at the venomous reply by their new queen. If it were to be found that the throne was gained by unjust means, I dare say it would be in the interest of all involved that this wrong were righted."
    He paused, frowning. He had heard very little of the new queen and the situation surrounding Aris's imprisonment.

"Do you have evidence that this was the case? Or even if Aris is still alive? If the coup was perpetrated by the Council.." He let his words trail off, but the doubt in his voice as to the Council's mercy was quite clear.
    #Notallinfluencers