New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Possible virus

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Possible virus

I don't know if this is on the site's end or mine but attempts to reply to the thread Decopodans and Donbots have been redirecting to some other site

Could somebody check it out and tell me if this happens for you as well

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/newre...ply&p=20434323

EDIT:
    Specifically, it's been redirecting me to http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...tist-fails.htm
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-20 at 10:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Possible virus

Unable to replicate. Are you sure you're not just pressing something incorrectly?

By the way, HowStuffWorks is a legitimate site, which has previously been own/run by Discovery Communications (i.e. The Discovery Channel).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3

I'll try clearing the cache and maybe restarting the computer. Perhaps the browser's just loading that particular discussion wrong (the page it keeps redirecting to does seem like something that that discussion might contain a legitimate link to; though why it would follow it without me telling it to is beyond me)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I'll try clearing the cache and maybe restarting the computer. Perhaps the browser's just loading that particular discussion wrong (the page it keeps redirecting to does seem like something that that discussion might contain a legitimate link to; though why it would follow it without me telling it to is beyond me)
    I also can't replicate. Sounds like your browser might have picked up some malware extension.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2016-04-21 at 08:38 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm not getting redirected either. Does it only happen with that one thread? Have you tried any others?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6

I tried a few others

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I also can't replicate. Sounds like your browser might have picked up some malware extension.

GW
    Possibly. But neither Spybot nor Windows Defender nor Norton Internet Security was able to find anything, even after doing full system scans with those last two

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Possibly. But neither Spybot nor Windows Defender nor Norton Internet Security was able to find anything, even after doing full system scans with those last two
    Check your browser extensions/plugins, specifically and directly in the browser, not with a scanning tool. In my experience Spybot etc. don't check those.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9

Everything that's enabled is stuff I remember installing

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

To be blunt, those aren't exactly the best ones out there. I'd try some additional ones like Malwarebytes or Kaspersky.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11

Not even Norton?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Not even Norton?
    Every computer expert I recall ever seeing an opinion from on Norton was extremely negative, often to the point of describing Norton as effectively being malware itself. Not in the sense of showing ads, stealing personal information, or hijacking your computer, but simply being bad at its job and also slowing your computer down enormously - and then being extremely difficult to uninstall if you happen to object to having your computer handicapped in exchange for inadequate protection.

Now, most of that was several years ago, and things might have changed, but I'm still skeptical about the idea of Norton being good.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Not to hijack the thread, but Norton has redeemed themselves in later years. Up until 4-5 years ago they got worse every year, by the end being more Malware than anti-virus suite, BUT that changed drastically a few years back. Now Norton, together with BitDefender and maybe one more, is ranked as the top suites on the market. Year after year.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

14. - Top - End - #14

My experience matches that of Douglas, but regardless, my advice stands - when one doctor doesn't know what's going on, a second opinion can't hurt. At most you're out an hour or two of downloading, installing and scanning.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Since this appear to be more a computer or browser issue rather than a site issue, would cross-posting it or just moving it to the science and tech subforum not get it better exposure for more advice or a possible solution? Nevermind.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-04-25 at 07:53 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

I clicked on this discussion link and got a quick popup window of something being blocked. It went away too fast to get any details so im not sure what it was. Just an odd thing I thought I should mention. macupdate.com is what it was connected to.
    Last edited by Traab; 2016-04-24 at 05:31 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I clicked on this discussion link and got a quick popup window of something being blocked. It went away too fast to get any details so im not sure what it was. Just an odd thing I thought I should mention. macupdate.com is what it was connected to.
    I just saw the same thing:

Let me know if I should redact any of that.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2016-04-25 at 01:39 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #18

Yep, thats the one.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

The MacUpdate one is easy to track down. It's Grey_Wolf_c's avatar.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The MacUpdate one is easy to track down. It's Grey_Wolf_c's avatar.
    AKA "time to time the picture time". Hopefully this one doesn't set off any detectors. Sorry about that.

Grey Wolf

21. - Top - End - #21

Im not getting the popup anymore, so yay!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Can anyone explain to me what the problem was, and how it was fixed?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sounds like there were two problems. One is that the original poster was getting redirected to a non-OOTs site when they clicked a thread. I don't believe that's been called solved yet. The other problem is that some posters were getting a popup caused by Grey_wolf's avatar, which has since been changed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

The original problem remains both unexplained and, as far as I can tell, unfixed. In the process of looking into it, though, a couple of people got warnings from my avatar, since it was hosted in the macupdate website. I fixed that by hosting a new avatar in a new website that hopefully will not join the ranks of spammers anytime soon.

Grey Wolf

25. - Top - End - #25

Well I fixed it by not going to that one particular thread any more

26. - Top - End - #26

It's happening again. Now it's redirecting from reply to: Funny Stuff in 3.5 to DieForDethklok.org (link contains coarse language).

I haven't had these weird redirects happen happen to me on any other site but this one

EDIT: Also, the other one from the original post is still redirecting me even after at least one full system scan with norton between then and now as well as uninstalling and reinstalling my browser.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-09-27 at 01:19 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's happening again. Now it's redirecting from reply to: Funny Stuff in 3.5 to DieForDethklok.org (link contains coarse language).

I haven't had these weird redirects happen happen to me on any other site but this one

EDIT: Also, the other one from the original post is still redirecting me even after at least one full system scan with norton between then and now as well as uninstalling and reinstalling my browser.
    Does this happen every time you click those links? What happens if you use a different browser?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I just opened your link and had no redirect. *shrug*
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

29. - Top - End - #29

It seems to be browser hijacker.

Usually malwarebytes solve this kind of problem for me. Have you tried using it? Mind that malwarebyte is less of a general antivirus, it more specifically designed to detect malwares that's already in your computer, so even if you already have a good antivirus, it'll be better at detecting it. It might not even be the antivirus' fault, sometimes if you install the antivirus after the malware already been there, or the malware is well hidden, antivirus won't detect it, malwarebyte is simply a more specialized program.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP