New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Help Building Anti-dragon warrior

so this build started by me making anti-dragon weapon A
    Great sword with threat range 15-20 a X6 damage multiplier

now what I want to do is have a character who hunts dragons. slays them and them has there parts attached to him

this is geaslt 3.5 and I'd like to know what class should I use.
    I need to using mostly sword skills to kill with as little magic as possible

race I plan on his human

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Help Building Anti-dragon warrior

I posted about your weapon, so here's the other side.

The main thing with gestalt is that you can't get too wild unless you have really good stats. If you do, just pick the fighting style you want and put it with a strong spellcaster class. Barbarian/druid, ranger/cleric, whatever tickles your fancy.

But let's say you need to be careful about stats. Paladin/sorcerer makes a great gestalt; make Charisma primary stat, and you get loads of sorcerer spells and good buffs from paladin (smite evil, divine grace, lay on hands). You do have to be Lawful Good, but contrary to popular opinion, it's not a stupid alignment (it's mostly just played stupid by players who don't know what they are doing). The cool thing about this gestalt is that you do eventually get turn undead, which, if you want to really get tricky, you can use for Divine Metamagic (which is great for sorcerers). You do need Con as usual, but Str isn't "as" important (you'll have lots of sorcerer spells you can use to boost combat ability), and Dex doesn't have to be stellar. Basically, this is a good gestalt if you have mostly average stats with one good one. Pump Cha high as you can as you level up, and use magic to boost the other stats as you can.

Another reason to merge with sorcerer is that the spells you need to actually make yourself awesome are all here. Do whatever you can to let your DM let you get Races of the Dragon spells here. Greater mighty wallop and means never having apologize for doing 6d8 damage per attack, and wings of cover means not having to die to a particularly bad attack. After that, just bread and butter spells are needed: polymorph, greater magic weapon, greater blink (very awesome combat spell), greater dimension door (for mobility), overland flight, shield (presuming you are using a two-handed weapon). If you can get Arcane Strike feat from Complete Warrior, for the love of God get it; you can burn spell slots to give yourself a decent attack bonus and a much better damage bonus. Don't forget dispel magic and variations of it; dragons are also spellcasters, so this may be your only way to stop that. If you get to 2nd-level paladin spells, take shield other, and take a sorcerer spell that summons some kind of creature with decent hit point for a good duration (basically a decent level of summon monster). Shield other on the summoned creature, bam, you just started taking half damage that actually gets through your defense... and your cleric doesn't have to give a fig about healing a summoned creature. This can buy you precious rounds to lay down a barrage of hits; if the dragon tries to get smart and take out the squishy PCs, it's pretty much risking death by not dealing with you directly.

If you want fewer spells and more fighting, go barbarian/ranger. This one needs decent Wis for spell access, but rangers have pretty cool spells; you actually get a spell you can use for pounce (in Spell Compendium), meaning you don't have to have lion spirit totem ACF for barbarian. If you need to fly, you can take a dire eagle (from Races of Stone) at 14th level. If you don't have to fly, you could swap out animal companion for distracting attack (PH2); this means any enemy you hit, ranged or melee, is flanked, which is great for everyone else.

Okay, let's say your stats aren't stellar, and you also don't want to bother with spellcasting. Easy, go with fighter/rogue. If you can find any way to flank the dragon, you'll get sneak attack bonuses on top of all your other damage. Evasion is also a godsend for dealing with breath weapons. User fighter bonus feats to support the sneak attack ability as best you can (Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, etc.). Note that Power Attack trades attack bonus for damage; only do it if you're sure you can hit the thing. (Basically, just ease into it: first round don't use it, then each round use it to increase your penalty to attack in exchange for damage until you're comfortable with how low your attack can be and still hit it.)

You can go ranger/rogue as well, and this may be better. Two Weapon Fighting with sneak attack is great, and you also have favored enemy bonuses to throw in there. This is a pretty low-ball build on stats. You only really need Dex, Con, and a little Wis; Str and Int can't be negative, but if you want to dump Cha, you could.

I don't recommend wizard anywhere here for two reasons: the combat spells you want to use in a fight are pretty repetitive, so you don't need utility here as much as quantity of spells, and Int is the only stat that has practically no benefit for combat. (Unless you make a factotum/wizard gestalt. If your DM actually allows that... yeah, you may have just won, depending on what level you start.) Let someone else do the Batman/God wizard thing. Your job is damage output and survival.