New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Selling your Soul at a Premium: The Warlock's Guide to Power

Quote Originally Posted by werescythe View Post
    I saw it in the list, saw that it didn't have concentration, went to check saw that it has concentration and stopped there, with the gasous form. It is a shame that there doesn't seem to be a spell that can allow you to sit inside your own Evards Black Tentacles and cast Eldritch Blast. T_T
    Maybe Wish, but that seems like a waste....
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JakOfAllTirades View Post
    Maybe Wish, but that seems like a waste....
    Except that Warlocks don't get wish.
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2018-03-30 at 08:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by werescythe View Post
    I saw it in the list, saw that it didn't have concentration, went to check saw that it has concentration and stopped there, with the gasous form. It is a shame that there doesn't seem to be a spell that can allow you to sit inside your own Evards Black Tentacles and cast Eldritch Blast. T_T

Sounds like fun, turning people into oversized octopi.
    3 levels of Wizard or 5 of Gloomstalker will get you Rope Trick. You could cast it 15’ up, climb up, cast Evards underneath you, and stick your head and arm out the bottom of your extradimensional deer stand and go to town with EB. With cover!

4. - Top - End - #304

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    Except that Warlocks don't get wish.
    Yeah, they'd have to find another way to cast it, like using a magic item.

Is that considered "cheating"?

Edited to add: A Wizard with 2 Warlock levels could do this.
    Last edited by JakOfAllTirades; 2018-03-31 at 04:27 AM.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Crgaston View Post
    3 levels of Wizard or 5 of Gloomstalker will get you Rope Trick. You could cast it 15’ up, climb up, cast Evards underneath you, and stick your head and arm out the bottom of your extradimensional deer stand and go to town with EB. With cover!
    I think there is a dragon mark from the unearthed arcana eberron that gives rope trick too. Its shadow and while the house is mostly elves you could probably talk with the GM and maybe get it for half elves.

Quote Originally Posted by JakOfAllTirades View Post
    Yeah, they'd have to find another way to cast it, like using a magic item.

Is that considered "cheating"?

Edited to add: A Wizard with 2 Warlock levels could do this.
    Yeah but then you lose all the fun of being a warlock. ;)

Edit:

I guess if I could get my hands on a flying carpet that could work too.
    Last edited by werescythe; 2018-03-31 at 10:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I get that there is an invocation for their pact weapon, but damn, why didn't they just give Hexblade's the general Extra Attack feature at 6? With all the extra blade invocations you need it really would lighten the load, be thematically appropriate, and keep them from being Specter summoners (which brands them as inescapably evil in my book, enslaving souls is never good behavior).

7. - Top - End - #307

On account of my Fighter having the dubious honor of being the first in our campaign to fail 3 death saves, I have been given the opportunity by the DM to take my next level up into Warlock, even with my Cha at 8.
    I want to go Eldritch Knight with thr character, and I figured I'd snag Prestidigitation and something like Mage Hand or another utility cantrip.

For the Spells Known, I thought about grabbing Hex and Armor of Agathys.
    Having yet to play a character with any modicum of Warlock on their sheet, I wanted to knoelw if that sounds like a decent idea or not.
    Bumping Cha tona usable level is not really gonna work for me, so Eldritch/Agonizing Blast isn't going to be my main ranged option.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi there,
    I would like to point out, that in my opinion Wrathful smite from the Hexblades spelllist deserves a better rating than red.
    For me its one of the best single target fears. The enemy gets only one wisdom save and thereafter is able to sacrifice his action for a flat out wisdom check (no prof), which has to be done at disadvantage because of fear. This means its most likely that it sticks for full duration.
    Phantasmal Killer for instance does do more damage, but you get a free save at the beginning of every turn.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    For the Spells Known, I thought about grabbing Hex and Armor of Agathys.
    Having yet to play a character with any modicum of Warlock on their sheet, I wanted to knoelw if that sounds like a decent idea or not.
    Bumping Cha tona usable level is not really gonna work for me, so Eldritch/Agonizing Blast isn't going to be my main ranged option.
    That's pretty solid. My melee Fiend Warlock focuses on strength and has those spells. Invocations and concentration spells make it easier to buff yourself without boosting your Cha.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix_Walker View Post
    I get that there is an invocation for their pact weapon, but damn, why didn't they just give Hexblade's the general Extra Attack feature at 6?
    It's already the most effective way to build a melee heavy hitter using the Warlock chassis. It would be extremely unbalanced to give them the extra attack, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueAzrael View Post
    Hi there,
    I would like to point out, that in my opinion Wrathful smite from the Hexblades spelllist deserves a better rating than red.
    For me its one of the best single target fears. The enemy gets only one wisdom save and thereafter is able to sacrifice his action for a flat out wisdom check (no prof), which has to be done at disadvantage because of fear. This means its most likely that it sticks for full duration.
    Phantasmal Killer for instance does do more damage, but you get a free save at the beginning of every turn.
    Fair argument.
    Last edited by EvilAnagram; 2018-03-31 at 03:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    That's pretty solid. My melee Fiend Warlock focuses on strength and has those spells. Invocations and concentration spells make it easier to buff yourself without boosting your Cha.
    I've since swapped my picks to Expeditious Retreat and Unseen Servant. Mostly because the plan was to go Eldritch Knight, and I kind of want to still give that illusion to the other players/characters.
    He'll be using magic, they just won't know it's not Wizardly magic. Hex and AoA are both Warlock only spells. I might swap out either one for AoA at some point. I don't plan to dip more than 3 levels of Warlock to get to Tome. It's all flavor for me, anyways.

I just hope the campaign lasts long enough for me to enjoy the fruits of EK 5+/Tomelock 3 for a while.

I'm 2nd level now, Fighter 2/Warlock (Hopefully GOO, but I can work with Fiend as well) 1. Then on to Fighter 5 for Extra Attack, with Booming Blade to pick up the slack while I get there.
    Then probably Fighter 6 for the ASI/feat, then 1-2 levels of Warlock to get that part finished out, then the rest in Fighter.

Kinda fitting that my guy wound up making a deal with a 'Mystic Being', as the DM called it, in trade for not dying. All he has to do is forge the crimson jewel he got into his blade, and try to set the being free. Fair deal, right?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey there! I love your views on these topics. I want to put a question out here for all to look at. We only have all party of 3 and sometimes a party of 2. So we are missing a lot of key class types. We have a Dwarven Cleric, a Human Sorcerer, and we just killed my Ranger. I want to play a Warlock but find them somewhat limited compared to other classes. My character concept is one that calls for a hate-filled, vengeful, protector sort. Going with a good alignment, my DM and I have agreed to mash up the various pacts to achieve what I'm looking for with a mix of patrons. I will be playing an Assimar Warlock and I'm struggling with the choice of Chain or Tome. I'm using a mix of boons from the Fiend, Fey, and Celestial. (Holy bananas eh?!)
    So I'm this Aasimar tattooist (I've been tattooing at a nearby monestary. Trading ink for martial arts training) that had his loved ones stolen in the night and after a few days of being restrained my calls for help have finally been answered by something. I'm on a mission of vengeance with the powers that have now been given to me. Just at the beginning of level 3. Should I look toward the pact of the Chain or Tome? Kinda thinking of opening up a conversation with the DM about 2 familiars. A cherub and an imp that are always squabbling with one another like the angel and devil on my shoulder idea. Depending on the outcome of RP the winner helps me and the other vanishes for a bit to return when I look to use them again. Or tome for magic?
    Thoughts please?!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoyish View Post
    Should I look toward the pact of the Chain or Tome? Kinda thinking of opening up a conversation with the DM about 2 familiars. A cherub and an imp that are always squabbling with one another like the angel and devil on my shoulder idea. Depending on the outcome of RP the winner helps me and the other vanishes for a bit to return when I look to use them again. Or tome for magic?
    Thoughts please?!
    It seems to me that you're in love with the chain option, so go with that. Anything that increases fun at the table is preferable, and the chain pact is quite potent in many ways.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's already the most effective way to build a melee heavy hitter using the Warlock chassis. It would be extremely unbalanced to give them the extra attack, too.
    Maybe so... Maybe a fighting style instead ;)

14. - Top - End - #314
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

First of all I do have to say thank you very much for all your awesome guides.

That alone would be enough to sign up to this forum, but I do have a question related to one of your red colored feats Medium Armor Master

I just so happen to have rolled a 16 on DEX on my Hexblade and wouldn't the AC increase combined with ignoring the Disadvantage on Stealth be a Feat well spent?

Thanks again for your work and looking forward to your answer

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel_2517 View Post
    First of all I do have to say thank you very much for all your awesome guides.

That alone would be enough to sign up to this forum, but I do have a question related to one of your red colored feats Medium Armor Master

I just so happen to have rolled a 16 on DEX on my Hexblade and wouldn't the AC increase combined with ignoring the Disadvantage on Stealth be a Feat well spent?

Thanks again for your work and looking forward to your answer
    When I made that rating, Hexblades did not exist, so there were very limited paths for attaining medium armor proficiency. This meant it took two feats for most people to get it.

Now, however, I think it's a perfectly acceptable choice.
    Last edited by EvilAnagram; 2018-04-23 at 09:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

When I made that eating, Hexblades did not exist, so there were very limited paths for attaining medium armor proficiency. This meant it took two feats for most people to get it.

Now, however, I think it's a perfectly acceptable choice.
    I get it. I just wasn't sure if i misread something, so thanks for the quick reply.

Also could you ellaborate, why the 6th level arcanum spell Soul Cage is "not terrible potent"?
    It seems to me it's a versatile (though creepy) spell for scrying/healing/advantage to keep around.
    Loved your comment on the spell though.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel_2517 View Post
    I get it. I just wasn't sure if i misread something, so thanks for the quick reply.

Also could you ellaborate, why the 6th level arcanum spell Soul Cage is "not terrible potent"?
    It seems to me it's a versatile (though creepy) spell for scrying/healing/advantage to keep around.
    Loved your comment on the spell though.
    Sure. It provides a suite of okay benefits that aren't terrible, but are possibly not worth the sixth-level spell. Compare it to Investiture of Flame, which also provides a suite of benefits that last over time:

Investiture of Flame
    • 10 minutes (Concentration)
    • Immunity to fire damage
    • Resistance to cold damage
    • 1d10 fire damage to anyone who steps within 5' of you
    • As an action, make a 15' line of fire damage

Soul Cage
    • Benefit five times
    • Bonus action to regain 2d8 HP.
    • Bonus action to get advantage on an attack.
    • Interrogate the dead guy
    • Spy on a place the dead guy has been

Note that IoF provides four benefits that are consistent over as much as ten minutes. Three of the benefits are effectively defensive (helping you stay up), while one provides you with a one-action AoE that you can keep pulling out. It's a great way to increase both your offense and defense without eating into your spell slots. On the other hand, each of the benefits of SC require you to take an action or bonus action, so you can't benefit from more than one at a time. Moreover, only two of the benefits are appropriate for combat, while the other two are for information gathering. Finally, while advantage is pretty sweet, regaining 9 HP as a bonus action is not great for a sixth-level spell. Sure, over time it's better than a sixth level Cure Wounds, but the 45 average damage you could conceivably heal with this is nothing compared to, for example, the sixth-level spell Heal, which heals 70 HP and cures several effects.

Again, with a black rating, it's not bad. It's just not great.

18. - Top - End - #318

I've since swapped my picks to Expeditious Retreat and Unseen Servant. Mostly because the plan was to go Eldritch Knight, and I kind of want to still give that illusion to the other players/characters.
    He'll be using magic, they just won't know it's not Wizardly magic. Hex and AoA are both Warlock only spells. I might swap out either one for AoA at some point. I don't plan to dip more than 3 levels of Warlock to get to Tome. It's all flavor for me, anyways.

I just hope the campaign lasts long enough for me to enjoy the fruits of EK 5+/Tomelock 3 for a while.

I'm 2nd level now, Fighter 2/Warlock (Hopefully GOO, but I can work with Fiend as well) 1. Then on to Fighter 5 for Extra Attack, with Booming Blade to pick up the slack while I get there.
    Then probably Fighter 6 for the ASI/feat, then 1-2 levels of Warlock to get that part finished out, then the rest in Fighter.

Kinda fitting that my guy wound up making a deal with a 'Mystic Being', as the DM called it, in trade for not dying. All he has to do is forge the crimson jewel he got into his blade, and try to set the being free. Fair deal, right?
    So.. GOOlock Fighter, with Identify and Unseen Servant as his 2 spells. It's been kinda fun to play with him.

I even got to mess up one of the DM's ideas with my first use of Awakened Mind, too. Feel kinda good about that.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

So.. GOOlock Fighter, with Identify and Unseen Servant as his 2 spells. It's been kinda fun to play with him.

I even got to mess up one of the DM's ideas with my first use of Awakened Mind, too. Feel kinda good about that.
    Awesome! I'm glad you had fun!

20. - Top - End - #320

Awesome! I'm glad you had fun!
    Oh yeah. I asked the Bard if I could borrow his pearl for a minute. The look on his face as it dawned on him that my character 'picked' Identify, was *priceless*. My goofy grin as I confirmed it.. I felt like I had the Trollface for my head. Or maybe more like Thor's big grin in the first Thor movie, at the diner.

I also got to kill a fleeing wolf with Booming Blade, when it proc'd the rider. This was in a fight with a Werewolf, too. I stuck that one with my magic Dagger that I can always locate.
    ..That I think the one I stuck with it came and returned to me the next morning. And that's where we ended the last session.
    Last edited by DarkKnightJin; 2018-04-24 at 12:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

I did not read all 20 pages of chat before posting so apologies if this has been brought up before.

I can see a great interaction between Heavy Armor Master (HAM) and Armor of Agathys with a Hexblade warlock. A human can get Heavily Armored at 1 and 4 Heavy Armor Mastery at 4. Both Hexblade and having heavy armor negate the need for dex and leave ability points open for the needed 15 str to use Heavy Armor. Add in Blade Ward for those turns where you absolutely will be or don't want to be attacked. This also pairs well with Cloak of Flies. In my book any full caster that enemies absolutely don't want to melee is a good thing.

For those not familiar with the combo. Armor of Agathys (AoA) gives you temporary hitpoints (5, 10, 15, 20 at spell level 1,2,3 and 4) and deal the full damage to any enemy that hits you with a melee weapon as long as you still have any of those temporary hit points. So at lvl 7 when a warlock is casting AoA as a forth lvl caster you have 20 temps and any hit will do 20 points of cold damage to the attacker. Heavy Armor Master (HAM) gives you damage resist 3 to piecing, slashing and bludgeoning attacks from non magic weapons. If you can reduce incoming damage with HAM, then you have a better chance of keeping your temps and continually doing damage to attackers. So if a monster attacks you for 12 damage, you take 9 (down to 11 temps) and they take 20 cold damage, then they hit you again for 13, you take 10 and they take 20 and you still have 1 temp.

When you combine this with Blade Ward, you will half their incoming damage (rounding down) then reduce it further by 3. Combine this with Cloak of Flies and they will just want to stay away from you. In my opinion anytime you can make a full spell caster annoying to damage is a great thing. The best thing about this, is except for Blade Ward (only use in emergencies or when you don't want to attack, or right before you knock down a door) you are not using up any turns casting spells which is a problem with spells like Mirror Image and Blur.
    Last edited by lilika; 2018-04-23 at 07:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lilika View Post
    snip
    The big problem with that build is that you need proficiency with Medium Armor to take Heavily Armored, and Warlocks do not have proficiency with Medium Armor.

Now, a variant human multiclass build that starts out a Fighter can rock this starting at level 2, but this guide does not include multiclass builds for simplicity's sake.

23. - Top - End - #323

DruidGuy

The big problem with that build is that you need proficiency with Medium Armor to take Heavily Armored, and Warlocks do not have proficiency with Medium Armor.

Now, a variant human multiclass build that starts out a Fighter can rock this starting at level 2, but this guide does not include multiclass builds for simplicity's sake.
    Hexblade bonus proficiencies does include Medium Armor.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saggo View Post
    Hexblade bonus proficiencies does include Medium Armor.
    Will no one rid me of this troublesome Hexblade?!

*ahem*

I mean, Good point.

25. - Top - End - #325

DruidGuy

Will no one rid me of this troublesome Hexblade?!

*ahem*

I mean, Good point.
    You might say you've been hexed.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoyish View Post
    Hey there! I love your views on these topics. I want to put a question out here for all to look at. We only have all party of 3 and sometimes a party of 2. So we are missing a lot of key class types. We have a Dwarven Cleric, a Human Sorcerer, and we just killed my Ranger. I want to play a Warlock but find them somewhat limited compared to other classes. My character concept is one that calls for a hate-filled, vengeful, protector sort. Going with a good alignment, my DM and I have agreed to mash up the various pacts to achieve what I'm looking for with a mix of patrons. I will be playing an Assimar Warlock and I'm struggling with the choice of Chain or Tome. I'm using a mix of boons from the Fiend, Fey, and Celestial. (Holy bananas eh?!)
    So I'm this Aasimar tattooist (I've been tattooing at a nearby monestary. Trading ink for martial arts training) that had his loved ones stolen in the night and after a few days of being restrained my calls for help have finally been answered by something. I'm on a mission of vengeance with the powers that have now been given to me. Just at the beginning of level 3. Should I look toward the pact of the Chain or Tome? Kinda thinking of opening up a conversation with the DM about 2 familiars. A cherub and an imp that are always squabbling with one another like the angel and devil on my shoulder idea. Depending on the outcome of RP the winner helps me and the other vanishes for a bit to return when I look to use them again. Or tome for magic?
    Thoughts please?!
    Could also take Find Familiar as a ritual selection if you go Tome and get Book of Ancient Secrets as an invocation.
    Last edited by AHF; 2018-04-23 at 11:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

call me silly, but I am just not a fan of multiclassing. (I hate losing any spell casting progression), not so bad after lvl 17. But yeah that damn hexblade with medium armor and shield :), it really seems like it could be a fun class to play though, not sure its really better than a blaster or control type, but seems like you could make a very flavorful character with it.

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by lilika View Post
    call me silly, but I am just not a fan of multiclassing. (I hate losing any spell casting progression), not so bad after lvl 17. But yeah that damn hexblade with medium armor and shield :), it really seems like it could be a fun class to play though, not sure its really better than a blaster or control type, but seems like you could make a very flavorful character with it.
    The thing is you can still be a blaster or control type, hexblade doesn't have to melee at all.
    it's just extra survivability, and extra blasty with 19-20 crits!

29. - Top - End - #329
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    The thing is you can still be a blaster or control type, hexblade doesn't have to melee at all.
    it's just extra survivability, and extra blasty with 19-20 crits!
    Very true, though you are limited in your spells cast and have a smaller spell list than a sorcerer or wizard and sometimes being in melee makes you at least have to think about defense some, but yes for most levels you can out hypnotic pattern a wizard or sorcerer (if you consider a full day with a few rest).

30. - Top - End - #330
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sure. It provides a suite of okay benefits that aren't terrible, but are possibly not worth the sixth-level spell. Compare it to Investiture of Flame, which also provides a suite of benefits that last over time:

Investiture of Flame
    • 10 minutes (Concentration)
    • Immunity to fire damage
    • Resistance to cold damage
    • 1d10 fire damage to anyone who steps within 5' of you
    • As an action, make a 15' line of fire damage

Soul Cage
    • Benefit five times
    • Bonus action to regain 2d8 HP.
    • Bonus action to get advantage on an attack.
    • Interrogate the dead guy
    • Spy on a place the dead guy has been

Note that IoF provides four benefits that are consistent over as much as ten minutes. Three of the benefits are effectively defensive (helping you stay up), while one provides you with a one-action AoE that you can keep pulling out. It's a great way to increase both your offense and defense without eating into your spell slots. On the other hand, each of the benefits of SC require you to take an action or bonus action, so you can't benefit from more than one at a time. Moreover, only two of the benefits are appropriate for combat, while the other two are for information gathering. Finally, while advantage is pretty sweet, regaining 9 HP as a bonus action is not great for a sixth-level spell. Sure, over time it's better than a sixth level Cure Wounds, but the 45 average damage you could conceivably heal with this is nothing compared to, for example, the sixth-level spell Heal, which heals 70 HP and cures several effects.

Again, with a black rating, it's not bad. It's just not great.
    Thanks for the detailed answer and god dammit you're right with the ranking. Still think I'm taking the spell just to creep out the others...

Quick follow up question. Would you be able to catch a soul that's also becoming a spectre or would you have to chose? I know you're not the biggest fan of the hexblade, but I'd really appreciate your input.