New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Condescending Words

Some words just ooze condescension and disdain, pretty much regardless of context.

For the purposes of silliness and crowdsourcing, let's list some of 'em, or not.

First up: Actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Condescending Words

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    pretty much regardless of context.
    You're going to run into a lot of trouble here. Given this clause, it will only take one counterexample to derail the thread...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I use 'actually' regularly in a scientific context when introducing a problem. Example; "Our models of X suggest that we should see phenomenon Y when condition Z is met. What we actually see is phenomenon A. This suggests that our model of X is either inherently flawed, or cannot accurately predict X whilst condition Z is being met. The purpose of this study is to examine what may be causing this discrepancy between the model and the actual data."

So on, and so forth. Context is everything for deciding if something is condescending or not, the words themselves very rarely play into it.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2016-04-22 at 06:49 AM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

For me the one which always gets my hackles up, whether it's directed at me or someone else, is "wrong". Especially when it's used to start a reply.

e.g.

"This thread will end in trouble"
    "Wrong, it'll all be fine."

I think it's the implied dismissiveness of the contradicted opinion as having any validity at all, as well as a claim to some sort of objective rectitude (never, of course, conclusively sourced) that makes it so irritating, whether in person or online.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fine" whenever it's used to start a sentence.

"Fine. Let's do it."
    "Fine. You're right."
    "Fine."

Much condescending. Very lack of care.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post

"Fine. Let's do it."
    "Fine. You're right."
    "Fine."

"How are you?"

"Fine, thanks. How are you?"

7. - Top - End - #7

MonkGuy

Some words just ooze condescension and disdain, pretty much regardless of context.

For the purposes of silliness and crowdsourcing, let's list some of 'em, or not.

First up: Actually.
    Actually, in Bangladesh, they seem to use "actually" to start every conversation.

(Or at least, when I was there a couple of years ago, that was how everyone I met talked).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    For me the one which always gets my hackles up, whether it's directed at me or someone else, is "wrong". Especially when it's used to start a reply.

e.g.

"This thread will end in trouble"
    "Wrong, it'll all be fine."

I think it's the implied dismissiveness of the contradicted opinion as having any validity at all, as well as a claim to some sort of objective rectitude (never, of course, conclusively sourced) that makes it so irritating, whether in person or online.
    "I was wrong to get those badgers drunk."
    "The badgers took it the wrong way when I tried to take away their liquor."
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're going to run into a lot of trouble here. Given this clause, it will only take one counterexample to derail the thread...
    Thread derailment accelerated.

Word + context will make this more effective. For example: 'really', when applied to someone else's actions/opinions/beliefs. "Do you really think that...?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Thread derailment accelerated.

Word + context will make this more effective. For example: 'really', when applied to someone else's actions/opinions/beliefs. "Do you really think that...?"
    That's not necessarily condescending though either. The emphasis makes it so. "Do you really think that's the best way to do that?" is a genuine inquiry, you're trying to find out if that's actually their opinion or what they're presenting "Do you really think that's the best way to do that?" is a condescending statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post

"Fine. Let's do it."
    "Fine. You're right."
    "Fine."

Fine day for a picnic, isn't it?
    Last edited by AMFV; 2016-04-22 at 02:00 PM.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    "Really? You agree? That's wonderful!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

A topic about condescension?
    How droll.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yes but droll evokes dry amusement. It would only be condescending if that amusement was at another's expense.

Personally, I don't think there are any condescending words. Many if not most word can be used in such a manner. Rare words often are considered such because the use of a wide vocabulary is seen by some as condescending, in a "I'm so smart/educated" way that implies that the person spoken to is not.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2016-04-22 at 02:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Dearie. There are likely counter examples, but the last two letters only tend to appear when it's being used to condescend at people.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Dearie. There are likely counter examples, but the last two letters only tend to appear when it's being used to condescend at people.
    Yes, you probably found one, here.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Freemason Than View Post
    A topic about condescension?
    How droll.
    So far, this wins the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    It could have been a bit of carelessness. It could've been deliberate to give people opinions to vacillate between. It could've been both, or it could be a butterfly dreaming it's a man. Who knows, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

17. - Top - End - #17

How about kthanxbye as a conversation ender?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Not always. It can be used as a term of endearment for somebody younger by somebody significantly older. Typically it would be like grandmother to granddaughter. Not as common a use anymore, but certainly common enough to avoid condescension

Quote Originally Posted by Donnadogsoth View Post
    How about kthanxbye as a conversation ender?
    When leaving phone messages. Definitely not condescending in that context. When you aren't able to stay on the phone for a while or are about to lose signal. Generally in a telephonic context that can be just fine and not condescending at all.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Not always. It can be used as a term of endearment for somebody younger by somebody significantly older. Typically it would be like grandmother to granddaughter. Not as common a use anymore, but certainly common enough to avoid condescension.
    Sounds like old people condescending to young ones to me.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Any post including the phrase "herp de derp", "derpety derp derp" or something similar is almost universally going to be used in a way that's insulting to somebody involved...although when the insult is being directed at oneself (for being a moron, like making a post about leaving a link, and then forgetting to actually leave a link) lessens the condescension.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Seems to me words themselves are not condescending, only the context in which they're used (and the tone, of course, but you can't really judge that from a forum post). The counterexamples above show that.

22. - Top - End - #22

MonkGuy

Just sayin'

In my experience, pretty much exclusively implies "I knew that would be insulting or condesending, but I said it anyway".

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateGuy

One thing that never fails to piss me off when people use it in an argument is "you don't understand what I'm saying". It implies the only possible reason someone would have to disagree with you is because they're dumb and fail to understand the brilliance of your point; that anyone who comprehends what you're saying must necessarily agree with it, since it's so perfect. How about this, I get your point just fine and I still think it's hogwash, possibly because there's some other rationale I'm following that you fail to understand? Or maybe just don't assume one specific reason for why the other party continues to disagree (usually the one that makes you look good), where there could be many? Since you're not omniscient and can't read people's minds?
    Last edited by SirKazum; 2016-04-23 at 07:34 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    One thing that never fails to piss me off when people use it in an argument is "you don't understand what I'm saying". It implies the only possible reason someone would have to disagree with you is because they're dumb and fail to understand the brilliance of your point; that anyone who comprehends what you're saying must necessarily agree with it, since it's so perfect. How about this, I get your point just fine and I still think it's hogwash, possibly because there's some other rationale I'm following that you fail to understand? Or maybe just don't assume one specific reason for why the other party continues to disagree (usually the one that makes you look good), where there could be many? Since you're not omniscient and can't read people's minds?
    IME, most times that phrase or something similar comes up is because someone is misunderstanding something.

Anyway, the single most condescending phrase is "with all due respect".

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

For similar reasons to this I find the word educating to be extremely condescending and aggravating in a lot of contexts. People use educating when they not only believe their opinion/worldview/ideae is something you cannot disagree with, it is something you can only disagree with if you haven't been 'educated' enough. "You clearly lack the upbringing and understandig to realise that my view is the be all end all on this subject so let me educate you on the million ways you are objectively wrong"

Even if agree with the idea that people want 'to educate others with' I still feel like jumping to the other side of the debate because anyone who is that condescending just shouldn't be allowed to be right (even when they are).
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2016-04-23 at 08:30 AM.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGirl

One thing that never fails to piss me off when people use it in an argument is "you don't understand what I'm saying".
    Boy, howdy: this is the worst. While it can be used neutrally (or even kindly) to clarify a genuine misunderstanding, when used in a condescending way "you don't understand" is toxic.

As a childless (or as I prefer to say, child-free) woman of a certain age, I am told "you don't understand" on a regular basis by parents who assume I am incapable of perceiving that their offspring's inappropriate behavior is in fact evidence that their child is a unique snowflake of unprecedented brilliance. Never mind that I studied child psychology, and have worked as an educator my entire life; never mind that I might actually spend more time with their child than they do. No. I "don't understand" anything about that particular kid, because I am not a parent. Not because I am not the parent of that child (which might make sense as an argument), but because I personally have not pushed another human being out of my lady parts.

Right. And I'm the one who "doesn't understand".

May I add: I am so thankful I am finally too old to be told that I "will change my mind when I get older" and decide to have kids anyway. And that I should start "before it is too late." Guess what? I am older, and I have not changed my mind, I did not magically pass some imaginary "sell-by" date when I turned forty. So you might want to shut up with your condescending crapola - before it is too late.

Also this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hamilton Tickets are better than a baby.

https://aboveaverage.com/watch/above...r-than-a-baby/

Let's add "you'll change your mind" and "You'll understand when you __" to the list of condescending phrases. And "before it is too late" when it is applied to a person's age.

- Monkey

Last edited by MonkeyBusiness; 2016-04-23 at 10:59 AM.

"I don't swear just for the hell of it." -Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    When leaving phone messages. Definitely not condescending in that context. When you aren't able to stay on the phone for a while or are about to lose signal. Generally in a telephonic context that can be just fine and not condescending at all.
    Wouldn't one say "gtg" instead?

I've always thought ktksbye is exclusively and intentionally condescending.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Wouldn't one say "gtg" instead?

I've always thought ktksbye is exclusively and intentionally condescending.
    Nope. It can be condescending but isn't necessarily so.

29. - Top - End - #29

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    IME, most times that phrase or something similar comes up is because someone is misunderstanding something.
    Oh sure, as with pretty much everything else in this thread, there are contexts in which it's not condescending. In this case, mostly when it's clear that both parties are talking about entirely different subjects and one of them doesn't realize it, or any other such simple mistake. One telltale sign that it's not condescending then is that the party who's having the misunderstanding won't mind being corrected (well, usually). But no, I'm specifically talking about people who say that just because someone else is disagreeing with them. That drives me up the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
    Let's add "you'll change your mind" and "You'll understand when you __" to the list of condescending phrases.
    YES PLEASE. Can't count how many times I've heard this about such-and-such topic (prohibited topics on the board) when I was a teen. "Oh, you'll 'get it' and change your mind when you outgrow this phase of yours" or whatever crap. Here I am, a couple decades later, getting on my second marriage, I've changed a lot of stuff about myself of course, but not that.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Anyone who ends a post online with "sips tea".

Or any number of similar puffed-up, overused, smug phrases that imply that they have the final word on any given subject.