New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Favorite Discontinued AD&D Spells

Of those spells which were there in AD&D but didn't make the cut for later editions, which do you like the best?

I myself am fond of Leomund's Lamentable Belaborment. The idea of having your wizard just drone on and on until his captors/enemies/victims go nuts on each other is just so entertaining! Bonus points if your DM rules you have to keep talking for the appropriate length of time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Discontinued AD&D Spells

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Of those spells which were there in AD&D but didn't make the cut for later editions, which do you like the best?

I myself am fond of Leomund's Lamentable Belaborment. The idea of having your wizard just drone on and on until his captors/enemies/victims go nuts on each other is just so entertaining! Bonus points if your DM rules you have to keep talking for the appropriate length of time.
    Chromatic. Orb.
    Fighter/Mage/Thief avatar by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Chromatic. Orb.
    That's in 5e, actually. And there's the Orb of Whatever spells in 3.5.

Personally, I quite liked a lot of the Al-Qadim ones. Avert/Attract Evil Eye and Maelstrom were good. On a related note, I loved the Sword of Mamluk Obedience (which inflicted a special charm effect that made the victim regard you as if you were a Mamluk superior. And Mamluks are kind of big on absolute obedience.)
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2016-04-25 at 12:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, the cromatic orb is much more awesome than an orb of fire or orb of cold.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nahal's Reckless Dweomer

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Nah, the cromatic orb is much more awesome than an orb of fire or orb of cold.
    Eh, I always found it rather cheap to be honest. Though I can't speak for cromatic orb, admittedly .

Virus Charm was also a classic, come to think of it.
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    That's in 5e, actually. And there's the Orb of Whatever spells in 3.5.

Personally, I quite liked a lot of the Al-Qadim ones. Avert/Attract Evil Eye and Maelstrom were good. On a related note, I loved the Sword of Mamluk Obedience (which inflicted a special charm effect that made the victim regard you as if you were a Mamluk superior. And Mamluks are kind of big on absolute obedience.)
    5E Chromatic Orb is nothing like 1E/2E Chromatic Orb, it doesn't come close to touching the greatness that the original was. The 5E one should be named Elemental Orb, much more fitting for what it actually is.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

There/Not There

Really all the wild-mage only spells

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

5E Chromatic Orb is nothing like 1E/2E Chromatic Orb, it doesn't come close to touching the greatness that the original was.
    Indeed. For reference, here's the 2e spell description:

Chromatic Orb (Alteration, Evocation)
    Range: 0
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: Special
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: One creature
    Saving Throw: Neg.

This spell causes a 4-inch-diameter sphere to appear in the caster's hand. Within the limits described below, the sphere can appear in a variety of colors; each color indicates a different special power. The caster can hurl the sphere at an opponent up to 30 yards away, providing there are no barriers between the caster and the target. If the target is no more than 10 yards away, the caster's to hit roll is made with a +3 bonus. If the target is 10-20 yards away, the caster's roll is made with a +2 bonus. If the target is 20-30 yards away, the caster's roll is made with a +1 bonus.

If the chromatic orb misses its target, it dissipates without effect. If the target creature makes a successful saving throw, the chromatic orb is also ineffective. Otherwise, the color of the orb determines the amount of damage inflicted and its special power, as summarized on Table 16; details about the special powers are listed below. The caster can create a single orb of any color listed for his level or lower; for instance, a 3rd-level wizard can create an orange, red, or white orb. The material component for this spell is a gem of the appropriate hue or any diamond. The gem must have a value of at least 50 gp.

Light from the orb causes the victim to become surrounded by light to a radius of 20 feet, as if affected by a light spell. The effect lasts for 1 round, during which time the victim makes his attack rolls and saving throws at a -4 penalty, and his AC is penalized by 4.

Heat from the orb is intense enough to melt 1 cubic yard of ice. The victim suffers a loss of 1 point of Strength and 1 point of Dexterity (or for victims without these attributes, -1 to hit and a penalty of 1 to AC) for 1 round.

Fire from the orb ignites all combustible materials within 3 feet of the victim.

Blindness from the orb causes the victim to become blind as per the spell. The effect lasts for 1 round/level of the caster.

Stinking cloud from the orb surrounds the victim in a 5-foot-radius noxious cloud. The victim must save vs. poison or will be reeling and unable to attack until he leaves the area of the vapors.

Magnetism from the orb has an effect only if the victim is wearing armor made from iron. The iron armor becomes magically magnetized for 3-12 (3d4) rounds. Other iron objects within 3 feet of the caster will stick tight to the magnetized armor; only dispel magic or a similar spell can release the stuck items. At the end of the spell's duration, the stuck items are released.

Paralysis from the orb causes the victim to become paralyzed for 6-20 (2d8 + 4) rounds; a successful saving throw vs. paralyzation halves the number of rounds.

Petrification from the orb turns the victim to stone. If the victim successfully saves vs. petrification, he avoids turning to stone and instead is slowed (as per the spell) for 2-8 (2d4) rounds.

Death from the orb causes the victim to die. If the victim successfully saves. vs death magic, he avoids death and instead is paralyzed for 2-5 (1d4 +1) rounds.

Table 16: Chromatic Orb Effects
    Level of Caster Color of Orb Generated Hit Points of Damage Special Power
    1st White 1-4 Light
    2nd Red 1-6 Heat
    3rd Orange 1-8 Fire
    4th Yellow 1-10 Blindness
    5th Green 1-12 Stinking Cloud
    6th Turquoise 2-6 Magnetism
    7th Blue 2-8 Paralysis
    8th Violet slow Petrification
    9th Black paralysis Death
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    It's so beautiful.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I'm fair sure anyone who got to high level in 2e has that burnt permanently into their memory and/or nightmares.

It's so beautiful.
    If by beautiful you mean 'hideously overpowered'. I mean, a first level Save-Or-Die? That's... That's...

Yeah, no, it's beautiful. beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night. All shall love it and despair!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

If by beautiful you mean 'hideously overpowered'. I mean, a first level Save-Or-Die?
    Ninth level. Oh, you mean spell slot? Don't even worry about it, you're using all your high-level slots on different Illusions

That's... That's...
    I believe the word you're searching for is "terrific"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm fair sure anyone who got to high level in 2e has that burnt permanently into their memory and/or nightmares.

If by beautiful you mean 'hideously overpowered'. I mean, a first level Save-Or-Die? That's... That's...

Yeah, no, it's beautiful. beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night. All shall love it and despair!
    Sleep, a staple of the game, is (effectively) a 1st level save or die spell, do you have a problem with it as well? Chromatic Orb is like an inverse Sleep, as Sleep is really good in the beginning but eventually loses it potency, whereas Chromatic Orb is underwhelming in the beginning yet grows to be powerful, except when you get to its zenith enemies have much better saving throws, meaning they are less likely to succumb to its effects, not only that but it also requires a successful attack roll in addition to a failed save and only affects a single target to Sleeps multiple.
    Last edited by Jigawatts; 2016-04-26 at 08:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Sleep, a staple of the game, is (effectively) a 1st level save or die spell, do you have a problem with it as well? Chromatic Orb is like an inverse Sleep, as Sleep is really good in the beginning but eventually loses it potency, whereas Chromatic Orb is underwhelming in the beginning yet grows to be powerful, except when you get to its zenith enemies have much better saving throws, meaning they are less likely to succumb to its effects, not only that but it also requires a successful attack roll in addition to a failed save and only affects a single target to Sleeps multiple.
    Yes, yes I did. Actually, the huge amount of save-or-lose flying around was one of the reasons I stopped playing 2e.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, Sleep isn't a save-or-die spell, it's a no-save-and-die spell. If you have 4 HD or less, you don't get a save. If you've got more than 4 HD, you aren't affected. Of course, the spell only affects 2d4 HD, so you might still survive if you've got enough buddies.

I'm not too familiar with the later editions, so I don't really know if some or all of these made it into them:

I rather like Caltrops. 900 to 1600 square yards of hazardous terrain can be highly useful. Especially if you are infantry facing cavalry or giants, or cavalry facing infantry, so you can ignore the spell, but your opponent can't.

Miscast Magic. Cast it on an enemy spellcaster, and he casts random spells, rather than the one he wanted. But still cast at the intended target of the intended spell.

Squeaky Floors. Worth it just for the name.

Random Casualty. Cast on an opponent's weapon, and any damage it inflicts is randomly applied to the wielder or his/her/its companions.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Just curious has anyone every updated those old spells to pathfinder/3.5?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Melf's minute meteors is a old favorite that I don't think has been updated.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    Melf's minute meteors is a old favorite that I don't think has been updated.
    It's in 5e, but not in 3.5 as far as I can tell, though Fire Seeds and Fire Shuriken are both conceptually similar.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2016-04-30 at 04:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

It's in 5e, but not in 3.5 as far as I can tell, though Fire Seeds and Fire Shuriken are both conceptually similar.
    Unfortunately I had to move away from my 5e game right as we were getting to 3rd level, so I hadn't looked very far ahead on the spells. But while there were a few similar spells in 3e I never understood why they didn't update all of the named character's spells. Especially with the spell compendium, and the other books that were over 3/4 spells.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.