New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default So im replacing all the fish with Plankton....

I've been watching The Future is Wild and one of their alternate futures have replaced all fish with, effectively, large Zooplankton that they called Silver Swimmers.

Spoiler: Pic
    Show

Now, Silver Swimmers are an extremely broad group that encompasses many species and thats all well and good, but the name is stupid. I mean instead of going, "Thats a fish" you would go "Thats a Silver Swimmer" and that feels, to specific, i guess? Its not like going Cat, Dog or Horse, and if i go the other way you would just say Crustacean and that also sounds odd to me.

Really what im asking for here is help in renaming these things and making up names for a few of the specific genus of these plankton.

Spoiler: Heres a few more, that dont have names
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: So im replacing all the fish with Plankton....

Lots of options for something like this

Well there is the classic Ghoti, since english spelling is the way it is there are words where
    gh makes f, like in tough
    o makes i, like in women
    ti makes sh, like in caution
    So ghoti should be pronounced fish, right?

Or you could try to coin it in indoeuropean then apply some sound laws to change it some more

Proto-Indo-European *swem(bʰ)- ‎(“to be unsteady, move, swim”)
    Proto-Indo-European *silubʰr-, *silebʰr- ‎(“silver”)
    ós - creates agent noun
    silubhraswembhós - silver swimmer in a very mangled and probably poorly formed manner
    lets simplify that and make som changes
    silubrasumbas
    and lets say that syllables get chopped off in different ways, with each applying to different animals
    silu
    lubras
    brasu
    rasumba
    ect,

or maybe some vowels get deleted and some other simplifications
    silbrasmbas > silbrazbas > silbrazzas > silbrazza

or maybe work with some types of amphipod crustaceans
    Caprellida > caprella
    Cyamida > chamid
    Ingolfiellidae > ingo (plural ingol because why not)
    Kurioidea > kurio or kuryo

or name one Cope after copepods

or take syllables from words and chop them up and jam them together then slur your speach

silver swimmer > swimmer silver > swim sil > swimsil > swimzle or wimzle
    Last edited by Balyano; 2016-04-24 at 01:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balyano View Post
    *Language Stuff*
    Well, that is far more than i was expecting, thank you. I like Silu, its nice and simple, yet different.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

One thing of note about replacing vertebrates with arthropods is that you're going to hit some size limits unless you either seriously alter their physiology by giving them a more efficient circulatory system or dramatically increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. Otherwise the silver swimmer analogs are going to be size limited to about 2 meters max - which is the size of the largest sea scorpions. While that actually covers the size range of most teleosts (bony fish) you won't have anything equivalent to large sharks. If you're eliminating marine mammals as well your ocean is going to be a little low on large animals, though there's still cephalopods to work with. Evidence suggests that cephalopods were present in dominant predatory niches the last time we didn't have large sharks, back in the Ordovician period.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    One thing of note about replacing vertebrates with arthropods is that you're going to hit some size limits unless you either seriously alter their physiology by giving them a more efficient circulatory system or dramatically increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. Otherwise the silver swimmer analogs are going to be size limited to about 2 meters max - which is the size of the largest sea scorpions. While that actually covers the size range of most teleosts (bony fish) you won't have anything equivalent to large sharks. If you're eliminating marine mammals as well your ocean is going to be a little low on large animals, though there's still cephalopods to work with. Evidence suggests that cephalopods were present in dominant predatory niches the last time we didn't have large sharks, back in the Ordovician period.
    Since im pretty much just ripping this Ocean whole hog from The Future is Wild (its the 200 Million year world if you've seen it) there will still be sharks, though sharks will probably be the only fish. Maybe Barracudas...

Anyway the way that ocean went was Arthropods made up the bulk of the oceans population, so they filled the niche of bony fish, Sharks kept being Sharks, except they started hunting in packs because, large marine mammals where replaced by Giant Squid who ate that worlds bird analogues and various arthropods.

Thats how im gonna do it. The Giant Squid will be the equivalent of Whales, the gentle giants of the sea, if you will. Sharks will still be terrifying, arguably even more so, and i might just add a few other predatory fish just because i can.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

When it comes to fantasy, I strongly prefer highly generic terms for everything.

If it looks like a fish, swims like a fish, and... does whatever else fish do like a fish, you could simply call it a fish. Even though it's not a non-tetrapod vertebrate.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'd just have everyone use the term fish, and then the first time they come up make a point of describing them in detail, with terms like "exoskeleton" heavily emphasized.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm agree with Yora and Knaight that, in this particular case, you should call a "Smeerphighly biodiverse group of macroscopic zooplankton in the future" a "RabbitFish."
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.