New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Not so psionic focus

Psionic foci have always been an oddity to me. Why do they exist? What implication did it serve creating it as a mechanic? Did it replace or improve something compared to arcane/divine casters? If so, what? Generally perusing for opinions on the matter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: Not so psionic focus

Psionic focus acts as a renewable resource that allows martial mechanics that aren't just of the "spam all day" variety, but don't use the more limited power points.

In addition, it serves as a check on manifester abilities by placing a second limit on metapsionic feat usage.

Plus you get the choice of a smaller constant bonus and a larger and more limited bonus.
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Psionic foci have always been an oddity to me. Why do they exist? What implication did it serve creating it as a mechanic? Did it replace or improve something compared to arcane/divine casters? If so, what? Generally perusing for opinions on the matter.
    1. Metamagic limit
    2. Extra slot for feat useage mechanic

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It was an attempt to reign in certain kinds of abuse that show up with Tier 1 casters: chain stacking metamagic feats on top of each other to create a single "I Win" uberspell. It was also a way to add more "once a round" or "once an encounter" effects on top of an action economy system that was already overburdened with the addition of swift and immediate actions. In fact, you might think of it as an early ancestor to the "Encounter Power" in 4E.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Historically, it also replaced a mechanic introduced in 3.0 psionics. In 3.0, there were feats you could take which worked as long as you had n or more power points in your pool. When you spent down your points below that level, the feat(s) shut down. (There were also feats which required expending pp to do stuff, which made them similar in some ways to powers.)

In 3.5, psionic focus was introduced. Both mechanics were replaced by "having a psionic focus" or "expending a psionic focus." It made it more binary, but also made the "floor" for pp you can spend down to "1," rather than a sliding scale of numbers based on what feats you had and their minimum requirements.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Note that, in exchange for limiting metapsionic feats, they make metapsionic effects cheaper than with metamagic. For instance, Extend Spell is +1 spell level adjustment to apply, while Extend Power costs +0 pp and psionic focus. It's the same way across the board, too; the cost of a given metapsionic feat is the equivalent metamagic cost x 2 - 2 pp + focus.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-04-26 at 01:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Psionic focus mostly exists to put a soft "once per encounter" limit on things. Without Psionic Meditation (or Psicrystal Containment), you can have more than one focus per fight, but given the normal action cost on getting it back, it's not advised.

Psionic Meditation turns it from a soft 1/encounter limit to a 1/round limit (assuming you're not moving), but still keeps you from stacking things like metapsionic feats without some hoops.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

It is also one of the very few caster mechanics that (in 3.5) are not sure-fire, since you need to hit that DC 20 to recover your focus and most likely you cannot take 10 on a concentration check during combat.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, insight well received. I pose another question, however: There are a handful of prestige classes that have a certain transparency between caster and manifester, while others remain specific to one or the other. If there was one I wish to make more accessible to casters, but the class features revolved around psionic focus, what would be a recommended course of action in making a conversion?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd just keep it as-is. It's "as a full-round action, get focus. Burn focus to activate thing. If you spend a feat on it, you can get focus as a move action." Nothing in the mechanic is actually psionic other than the name.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You could always adapt the Arcane Focus mechanic from Dragon Magazine.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You could always adapt the Arcane Focus mechanic from Dragon Magazine.
    Got an issue #?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrMartin View Post
    It is also one of the very few caster mechanics that (in 3.5) are not sure-fire, since you need to hit that DC 20 to recover your focus and most likely you cannot take 10 on a concentration check during combat.
    It might not be surefire early on, but getting a total of +19 to your check doesn't take long.

Alright, insight well received. I pose another question, however: There are a handful of prestige classes that have a certain transparency between caster and manifester, while others remain specific to one or the other. If there was one I wish to make more accessible to casters, but the class features revolved around psionic focus, what would be a recommended course of action in making a conversion?
    Can you be specific? How I'd modify it would likely depend on the wording of the class in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Got an issue #?
    Dragon #351 "Class Acts: Arcane Focus"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It might not be surefire early on, but getting a total of +19 to your check doesn't take long.

Can you be specific? How I'd modify it would likely depend on the wording of the class in question.
    Absolutely! I was specifically looking at the Illithid Slayer, and how most of its class features required the constant maintaining of the PF, and how that could possibly translate over to non psionics.

16. - Top - End - #16

In terms of not-psionic focuses, there's also a combat focus mechanic in Player's Handbook II (page 87). It's a lot more harsh than the psionic focus - you must hit someone in combat to gain it, it lasts for 10-15 rounds max, and you can only gain it once per encounter. This is an interesting option for a class whose aesthetic is ramping up their power as the battle progresses - you can't cast grievous horrible death of extreme pain until you have already breached your target's mental defenses with benign irritation of mild discomfort in the previous round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

17. - Top - End - #17

Absolutely! I was specifically looking at the Illithid Slayer, and how most of its class features required the constant maintaining of the PF, and how that could possibly translate over to non psionics.
    Honestly, Illithid Slayer isn't that powerful a PrC, and the focus-requirement is mostly fluff that unfortunately has some painful crunch. I'd just waive it for an arcane version. It's not likely an arcane caster is going to be expending psionic focus on anything, anyway, so if they had it they'd just always keep it up for the Illithid Slayer class perks.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Honestly, Illithid Slayer isn't that powerful a PrC, and the focus-requirement is mostly fluff that unfortunately has some painful crunch. I'd just waive it for an arcane version. It's not likely an arcane caster is going to be expending psionic focus on anything, anyway, so if they had it they'd just always keep it up for the Illithid Slayer class perks.
    Ya know, you raise a good point. I was looking for an analog for balance sake, but considering a handful of classes that provide above and beyond the few mental immunities without requiring it. I sometimes wonder why I am so intent on these anal retentive mechanics. Oh well, thank all for the insight and help, I'll mull over the efforts and options.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ya know, you raise a good point. I was looking for an analog for balance sake, but considering a handful of classes that provide above and beyond the few mental immunities without requiring it. I sometimes wonder why I am so intent on these anal retentive mechanics. Oh well, thank all for the insight and help, I'll mull over the efforts and options.
    It's easy to just assume you have to copy directly. The real point to consider here is whether it actually balances anything or not. The secondary one is the question of whether your "Arcane Illithid Slayer" would ever NOT have their Arcane Focus.

In this case, I think it's just easier to remove the requirement.

In any event, glad if I could help. Good luck!
    Last edited by Segev; 2016-04-28 at 09:04 AM.