New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Savage Tide: The Bullywug Gambit

Sasserine is a city not without it's upsides and downsides for those living in it but it looks as if life is looking up for you when a withered old halfling woman delivers a finely written note from one of the noble families in the city...

Greetings, and I trust this missive finds you in good health!
    My name is Lavinia Vanderboren, and I humbly request your attendance at dinner at my estate on festival street and Blue Skink Lane tomorrow evening. I think that I can present you with an opportunity uniquely suited to your skills. Please inform the carrier of this letter of your response to this invitation and I hope to be speaking to you soon!

-Lavinia Vanderboren

Though each of you come for different reasons, the four of you assemble at the corner of Festival Street and Blue Skink Lane in response to the dinner invitation offered by Lavinia. Vanderboren Manor is located in the eastern section of the Merchant District; the seven-foot-hall stone wall that surronds the estate is impossible to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three-story house that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city.

The front gates have been left open for you, but the front doors remain shut until you reach them. After but a few moments, the same wizened halfling woman answers the door. With a solemn silence that denotes a professional house servant, she leads each of you to a quaint atrium..

"Thank you for arriving on time, sir. Please wait here. Lady Vanderboren shall be with you shortly."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Enjoy some time to talk and introduce yourselves.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2007-08-07 at 01:13 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide: There is No Honor

Evan Rahllentide

Evan walks up through the front gates with the others, curious as to who they are, and if they got the same note he had earlier. Suddenly very self-conscious, Evan starts to pat down his blue Scholar's outfit and run his fingers through his hair, which only leads to messing up the long blond hair that he'd earlier spent a fair deal of time fixing up.

Being a rather short man, at 5'8", Evan starts to feel rather intimidated by the other people around him... While waiting for the Lady Vanderboren to arrive, he looks around and finally breaks the silence.

"Uhhh... So I'm guessing you're all here for dinner? Name's Evan." Evan extends his hand as he says this, with a nervous smile.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tristan Wolfe

Standing in the hall awaiting the host, Tristan does his best not to display his nervousness. Certainly it was a good opportunity; Lady Vanderboren was, of course, a Lady. She was reportedly rich, assuredly influential, and most probably single. Beggars are not choosers, but he'd be a fool not to take the opportunity.

Tristan gave an inward sigh, as that was definitely not the reason he had been invited to dinner. The most likely case would be that he, and clearly the others standing among him, were going to be offered positions at her recently acquired estate. Perhaps it wasn't quite the opportunity he was looking for, but it was again one that would be foolish to pass up. It would take a good deal of his inner strength to remain professional through-out the meeting.

Straitening his formal attire, he reaches his hand out and shakes the Sage's. "Tristan Wolfe, Private Investigator, and yes, I've been invited to dinner as well."

With the proximity of the handshake, it becomes clear that he is wearing some perfume or cologne, causing him to smell lightly of roses. The dim light reflects off of his hairless head.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Lakaran Tolivar

Lakaran joined in the round of handshaking going on. "Lakaran Tolivar, pleased to meet you," said Lakaran politely to each guest. Every piece of clothing he wore was purchased only hours ago. The finely woven blue shirt fit his lanky frame better than any other shirt he currently owned, though after what he had paid the tailor, that seemed a given.

A small white rat poked its head out of his front shirt pocket, squeaked quietly at Lakaran, and ducked back into the deep pocket. Lakaran patted the pocket comfortingly and rubbed his neatly trimmed, dark red beard. This was an opportunity not to be spent frivolously. He had invested a good deal of his savings buying new clothes and a well needed haircut. He was ready.

After handshakes were exchanged with everyone he tucked his thumbs behind the broad, black belt he wore, affixed a slight smile on his face, and waited.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A tall and dark-skinned, human with golden eyes and a bald head enters, with a wide-brimmed leather hat hangs from his neck on his back. A woolen poncho covers studded leather armor. His equipment seems to be in immaculate condition; some might think it was newly purchased or just kept well.

He looks at those assembled and bows with courtly grace. "Erech Agius at your service, gents. G'day!"
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-06-25 at 09:15 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Default So...how about that Arena?

An almost uncomfortable silence descends over the small gathering as they wait for some sort of sign that their patron was getting ready to meet them. Before you could be invited in four figures emerge from the doorway and head towards your small group, with the elderly halfling racing behind them, which include a jaunty male half-elf dressed in leather armor and armed with a half dozen daggers of different shapes, a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown robes and clutching a large curved spear, an attractive but haughty-looking woman dressed in dark purple robes and with a tattoo of a crescent moon on one cheek, and lastly, a tall and handsome man dressed in a polished breastplate and carrying a bastard sword.

The group looks like they have little time or interest in your own, but the man in the breastplate does pause for a moment to size each of you up for a moment before announcing, "Hmm. You must be the help Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck to ya!" with a grin and shake of his head. He hardly sticks around for you to question his statement before turning on his heels to follow his own group which was waiting impatiently for him to catch up.

After the four leave the atrium, the elderly halfling returns with an irate look in her eyes and slightly out of breath.

"Lady Vanderboren will see you now. Please follow me."

=============================================

The private dining hall is comfortable and cozy, softly lite by wall mounted lanterns (That do nothing to relieve the humidity). A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman wearing a long flowing blue dress. She smiles as you enter and gestures for you all to sit.

"Thank you Kora, I can take it from here. Greetings friends, as you can probably guess, I am Lavinia Vanderboren. As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parents' estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbormaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their skill as adventurers, were not as skilled at finances as one might expect. If I am to get these taxes paid, I'll need access to my family's vault under Castle Teraknian." She paused then and took a seat at the very head of the table with a serious and upset expression crossing her face. "And that's the problem, you see. The vaults are magically locked-keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it-he had a thing about men wearing jewelry. He kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there is that the harbormaster's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've pair the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears-he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent."

Lavinia paused once more to sigh remorsefully but when she spoke next a hidden steel had come into her eyes and voice. Seriousness dripped from her tone right along with suspicion. "Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language...which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you two hundred gold pieces in return once I've access to my vault." The way she ends her monologue hints that she'd be open to receiving any questions from you even as one index finger taps out a sharp stattaco on the table top.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: You can make a Knowledge: Local check to identify the four people. A picture of Lavinia and the portrait are below. The picture!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech looks at the others seated around him. "Basically, you need some agressive negtiotiaters? What does Vark look like? How many men does he have? Are these basic thugs or a more organized force? Oh, and what does the ring look like?"

He removes his hat from around his neck and leans it against the back of his seat. "Sorry for the inundation of questions. Just helps to have as much information as possible. What about you gents?" he asks as he looks at each of the others around the room.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-06-25 at 10:58 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Lakaran waits until Lady Vanderboren answers Erech's question to speak.

Lakaran looks everyone in the room up and down. "Aggressive negotiations? Us? Are we supposed to be the brains and the thugs we passed when we came in supposed to act as the muscle? I hate to say it, but I'm not sure we could intimidate this Soller Vark if he is as rough a man as you make him sound," says Lakaran. This was not the opportunity from Lady Vanderboren he had expected. However, finding more information about this job might prove worthwhile.

Lakaran waits until that issue is dealt with before asking his next series of questions. "Also, could you enlighten us on your parent's untimely demise? I don't want to rely on gossip and the details seem like they may be important for something like this," says Lakaran delicately. The wound of her parent's death would still be fresh in her mind, but he had to have more reliable information. "It seems too convenient that your mother would lose her ring only to have your father have his impounded by the harbormaster. It sounds like you already suspect foul play. Being straight with us would help everyone involved. Lakaran keeps his eyes leveled at Lady Vanderboren, not wanting to have this issue blown off as unimportant.

Spoiler
    Show
    From what I have been told so far, I have no descriptions of any of the other dinner guests saying anyone is particularly burly or intimidating. If people are in fact pretty large/scary, Lakaran will think twice about asking the first questions.

Knowledge (Local) Check to identify 4 thugs walking out: (1d20+5)[15](20)
    Knowledge (Local) Check to identify the 3 other dinner guests: (1d20+5)[3](8)
    Last edited by Saterus; 2007-06-25 at 11:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Evan

Evan stays seated for the entirety of the conversation, simplemindedly playing with his clothes under the table, that no one can see.

After the Lady finishes explaining the situation, Evan looks to each of the seated men to see if they plan to respond. It takes a moment, so Evan almost starts to speak when Erech asks his questions. Again, Evan remains quiet, and takes particular interest in the number of men Vark has.

After all questions are finished and answered, Evan will quietly say. "Directions to where your ship is harbored would be fantastic." Not letting his obvious nervousness of the situation escape in his voice.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Lavinia waits silently through Erech's questions, waiting for him to finish before she spoke again and when she did, her jaw was set. "All I ask is that you don't throw the first punch if it comes to it, but in the end, why would Vark's men put up a fight unless their up to no goo? Its my ship, after all! As for the number, I only saw three on deck when I went to try and reason with him, and they appeared to be no more then hired thugs and cowards at that. The ring itself is as other signet rings though my father most likely hid it away from plain sight so no one could easily find it."

But when Lakaran asked her about her parents' deaths she looked taken back and took a moment to collect her thoughts before answering the blunt inquiry in a quiet voice, "They burned to death in a ship fire about a month ago-they were taking a recently purchased ship for a cruise when something cause the ship to catch fire and it burned to the waterline. No one survived the blaze." Taking a deep breath, the young woman sat up a bit straighter before speaking again. "I appreciate your concern Master Lakaran but I think it is merely a coincidence. Theres simply no way that the harbormaster or Vark could know about the ring's existence, let alone its hiding place, I'm afraid this is but an unfortunate event. Keltar (the harbormaster) has been short staffed recently and has been forced to hire out for certain tasks. The Blue Nixie's docked at pier five in this district. It's the long pier between the Merchant's Guildhall and the Smith's Guildhall."

Lakaran's Knowledge Check Result:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The 'thugs' were the Jade Ravens, a mercenary company thats been in the Vanderboren's employ for several years. The leader of the group is a man named Tolin Kientai (Most likely the one in the breastplate, while the others include Zan Oldavin, Kaskus Kiel, and Liamae Teslikaria (Presumably the female with the tattoo form the sound of the name. Word on the street is that the new heiress is relying more and more on this group since her parents' death.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

"I'm sorry to bring up your parents, I really am, but I'm not convinced that all of this is mere happenstance," says Lakaran apologetically. "If you are so quick to discount them, you might truly be surprised what people can find out if they start snooping where you don't expect them to look." The truth of that stung. He paused before saying more.

"I wouldn't put trust in what they can't know. I would start worrying about why some thug employed by the harbor master got it in his head to try and extort a noble. The man either knows more than he should or has something that gives him more confidence than he deserves. So if he doesn't know about the ring, start worrying about what other leverage he could have on you." Lakaran stopped, a little surprised by himself. Impressed. He was indent on not waste this chance, and at least in his mind, he was doing accomplishing that goal.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech looks at Lakaran with a bit of a glint in his eye and a slight upward twist at the edges of his mouth. "Well, said, Lakaran. You've a shrewd mind, I think, to pick up so much so quickly."

Turning back to Lady Lavinia, Erech nods slightly. "My lady. I am saddened for your loss. We shall endeavor to our utmost to avoid any sort of unprovoked incident, though from what I've heard, that will be a very unlikely outcome. However, since we can't have ruffians holding good folks' personal property hostage," Erech trailed off with a grin as he adjusted the dark blue poncho he wore over his armor, revealing a glint of weaponry underneath. "We shall be prepared for contingencies nonetheless," he finished as he gazed around the table at the others gathered.

13. - Top - End - #13

Evan

"At least three men? Well. Considering we'll be coordinated, we should be able to either persuade them into honesty, or get your money back easily." Evan says when all the chatter about parents has died, trying to keep the subject light hearted, and keep the potential employer happy.

"I do have two quick questions before I leave..." Evan adds quickly. "First, when this is all over... Will there be further employment opportunity offered? I could use a change of pace. And secondly, if for some reason we come into possession of your ring while on the Blue Nixie, should we leave it aboard or bring it to you?" Evan asks these questions quietly, knowing the likely answer for both, but being sure.

When he has his answers, Evan will quietly sit through dinner, give his regards and wait for the other three guests.

"Well.. Shall we go tonight? No time like the present."

14. - Top - End - #14

Tristan Wolfe

Tristan had been quite at the table up until a few moments ago. It was often best to let someone else tire themselves out before making any statement. Not to mention, it was darned fun to watch these three make fools of themselves.

"Come now, we just sat down to dinner and you want to leave?" he says smartly, chiding their eagerness. To be honest with himself, he was barely constraining his own sense of impetuousness. "From what I am gathering from all this, this can be a relatively simple affair. I often am required to find lost or stolen objects, and as a result may occasionally require a warrant from the city to search a premises for the item. I have dealt with the guard a number of times in this area, and they know I am no thief to use such a warrant to my advantage. If I were to explain how retrieving this item from your ship would allow you to pay your dues, I am certain they would grant the warrant as well as a small party of guards to muscle any unruly harbor men out of the way."

Tristan looks around the table momentarily at the other three, adding, "Of course, if that is too simple, I'll be the first to document your assault on the harbor."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Default There is No Honor

"If you find the ring, then please, do bring it back to me as swiftly as you can. The sooner the better in fact. And depending on how this entire mess turns out, I'd be happy to call on you in case some other problems might come my way. I am always on the look out for promising talent to help me out." Lavinia replied with a hint of startlement on her face. Apparently she had expected a question like that so soon she had given them their first job.

Mention of the guard though had it quickly fade to a more serious one. "I do not believe that the guard will be a great deal of aid in your efforts. I wouldn't involve them in any of your plans too greatly.."

16. - Top - End - #16

Evan

Evan smiles when Lavinia mentions the guards, and their potential waste.
    "Well, since the guard isn't desired, nor potentially helpful in this case. I'm entirely up for plan 'a'. Which in my eyes, consists of walking to where the ship resides, making at least some effort at conversation, and then... Proceeding to get the Lady Lavinia's money back." Evan smiles at the three people who will potentially have a part in him ending up a bloody mess tonight.

"Tristan, if you really want, I have no objections to contacting the guard first. But on that same point, I've been around long enough to know that if something like what's happening with the Ladies ship is going on... Usually there's at least some involvement with the guard. If it could just make things worse, I'd like to avoid it." Evan pauses, and adds thoughtfully...

"You said you were a private investigator when we met at the doorstop... You know that the Lady is entitled to everything aboard that ship, having already paid her fee's. I would appreciate it, tremendously, if you would accompany me, and these other two fine gentlemen if they plan on accepting the ladies offer." With this, Evan stands up and nods to the Lady Lavina, showing that he intends to take her up on this offer, and makes for the door, to wait outside for the other three.

(OOC: About the sitting down and leaving, comment... I had ended my post with a comment about waiting for dinner to finish before making my statement... No chance in heck I'd pass up rich-people food. ;))

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Once dinner is completed and the others are preparing to leave, Erech picks up his hat and clears his throat. "My Lady. Before we depart, is there somewhere I can meditate for a few minutes? I only need a little time to prepare properly for this situation." Erech keeps his eyes focused on Lady Lavinia.

"I hope this is acceptable to you gents, as well?" He asks with no inflection whatsoever, though he still keeps his eyes on Lady Lavinia. His hands are continuously turning the hat 'round and 'round as he awaits an answer from the lady or the others in the room.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-06-26 at 08:47 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

"I think it might be useful to go and speak with Harbormaster Keltar before we confront Vark. He might be able to clear up the whole issue before it gets started. At very least, we could find out more about Vark and his men," suggests Lakaran. He did not like being ignored, even if it was a noblewoman doing it. "If we can show up at the ship with knowledge we can use against Vark, we may prevent the situation from escalating before it begins." The whole story sounded hollow. A hired thug doesn't grow the courage to extort a noble without having something to keep him safe. Lakaran does not rise, he waits for some sort of confirmation from Lady Vanderboren or the other guests before readying himself to leave.
    Last edited by Saterus; 2007-06-26 at 11:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Tristan

Tristan took a deep breath. He knew that neither plan was particularly good or wise, but employment was at stake, and he did want move out of the scavengers guild at some point. Having to take a bath every evening because one smelled like the shadowshore was not an appealing job consequence.

"I would suppose if we wished to follow your plan, we might as well. It's too late in the evening for me to think of much else," he concedes, agreeing to go along. "But if at first our attempt fails, it might be better to retreat than head into confrontation, and for all of this hurrying to solve the problem I say it would be better to wait. The later in the night we go out, the less resistance we might meet if we wish to board the Lady's ship."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech

Erech tilts his head toward Lakaran. "Nice thought, but will the harbormaster be there himself this late? Or some lesser adjunct. However, maybe we could do a little digging on Vark on our way over there?"

He shrugs as he turns to Tristan. "Should be right up your alley, eh? A couple hours of trying to get some dirt on him should work nicely with arriving at a later time as well." He adds with a grin. "If you'll excuse me for a few minutes, I'll rejoin you shortly," Erech adds as he excuses himself to an antechamber.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-06-27 at 10:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Evan

Assuming Erech gets back... And the others are ready to head out than... Evan politely thanks the Lady for dinner again, and will head out onto the streets.

Again assuming, it seemed like the plan was to go talk to the harbor master before going to the ship.. So if he hears no objections, Evan will make his way there.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Please hold while your call is being connected...

Lavinia sits quietly as the four of you discuss different courses of action and plans, but otherwise remains silent. When Erech asks if he could be shown a place to meditate for a couple of minutes, she nods and calls for Kora.

"Please show him back to the atrium Kora, and please have no one disturb him. I believe that his meditation requires peace and quiet, correct?" She asks curiously before redirecting her attention to the conversation. With a plan seemingly decided on, Lavinia rises up from her seat and walks with you towards the private dining hall door. "I can't claim to know how long it will take you to do this for me, so I'd like to extend my hospitality to you. If you need a place to stay, there are a couple of extra rooms for you to use..."

================================================== ======
    With a plan in mind the three of you wait for Erech to return before deciding to seek out the harbormaster to try and get an audience with him. The travel to the Azure district takes longer then you had originally planned for it too since many of the people were returning home from their own jobs to get in a good nights sleep before the next gruelingly hot day. Things only got worst in the Azure district since it seemed as if it was still thriving with life. The closer the four of you get to the docks the more it seems is going on.

It didn't take much to overhear what was happening though. More then a few merchant's vessels had been spotted heading towards Sasserine and preperations had to be made so that the ships could dock, a tough deal since there was already a great deal of space occupied by other ships. Islaran manor is in and of itself a bee's hive of activity with gruff sailors and couriers waiting to get in side by side. There looks to be quite a line...
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2007-06-29 at 01:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech

Erech groans as the he sees how long the line is. "There goes that idea, I guess," he grumbles. His voice seems to have deepened somewhat, gaining a gravelly timbre to it that wasn't present before. "If I can at least see the harbormaster, I might still be able to make this work. Although..." he trails off for a moment into a growl.

Turning to the others, he growls, "This might be our best opportunity. Vark may be too preoccupied with this situation to be overseeing the Lady's ship. Shall we hurry on to the ship, or try to get a glimpse of the harbormaster?" He looks from Tristan to Lakaran to Evan, waiting for some form of assent or counter to his suggestion.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-06-29 at 01:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Tristan

Lines, long ones at that. At this time of night, queuing up is the last thing one wants to do, especially if it was only for buisness. Still, it would be best to retrieve some sort of permission to board the ship, or at least try to, before attempting to do so on their own accord.

"I sympathize with your eagerness, but I do not believe that the rush in this area extends all the way back to the merchant district. Still, it is quite a waste of time for all of us to stay here. I'm going to take a gondola back and investigate the matter personally. I'll take you with me, but the rest of you should stay here and see what you can accomplish. After that, I'm going to return home. We can meet tomorrow morning at the Bent Goblin Inn."

With this, Tristan walks off to find the nearest Gondola service to return to the Merchant district and locate the Blue Nixie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech

Erech glares at Tristan's retreating back for some time. "There goes a team player, eh?" he growls. Turning back to Evan and Lakaran, he continues. "If I can get a look at the harbormaster, I can impersonate him and it might help to allay any suspicions at the Lady Lavinia's ship later. I would like to go take a look at the ship tonight, regardless of us doing anything there tonight. What do you gents think?" he asks with a raised eyebrow before he glances back at the line, fidgeting somewhat. Erech tries to gauge the amount of time it will take to get through the throng.

26. - Top - End - #26

Evan

If finding the harbor master would make this easier in anyway, Evan was all for it. He nodded his approval to Erech. "If it'll work, than I'm all for it. It honestly can't do any harm."

Evan starts flittering coins in his pocket to pass the time.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Lakaran Tolivar

As Tristan walks away without any discussion, Lakaran turns back to the others to work out a plan. "Erech, how do you plan to impersonate the harbormaster? It could be useful. However, I don't think going to the ship tonight is the best plan," says Lakaran.

Lakaran folds his arms across his chest and his facial expression shows he is deep in thought. "With all of this commotion, I'm not sure if they harbor master will want to talk to us about Lady Vanderboren's problem. It seems he has his hands full already. We might be best to come back and try to speak with him in the morning when he wouldn't be so busy and might be more willing to listen," suggests Lakaran. "We might make things very hard for ourselves if we try to board the ship without obtaining permission from the harbormaster first. Vark and his men were specifically hired to keep people from just showing up and boarding the ship without permission. They would be justified in stopping us. If we wait, I don't think we lose out on much. But if we press forward before we are ready, we may compound our problems. He unfolds his arms and stuff his hands in his pockets, waiting for a response from the others.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech

Erech grins at Lakaran. "Like this," he growls as his features shift and are replaced by Lakaran's own. Even Erech's clothes now match Lakaran's. It lasts just a moment before dissolving back into Erech's own attributes. Erech grins hugely. "See? No worries, though I can't do anything about the voice at the mo--" Erech suddenly looks very apprehensive and looks around to make sure no one noticed his alterations.

He ducks his head down somewhat and continues speaking, "Anyway, I don't know about needing to involve the harbormaster. Didn't Lady Lavinia already say he had pretty much washed his hands of it?" he asks looking at his companions from underneath the broad brim of his hat.

"Look, I just want to take a look at the ship. It's called reconnoitering or reconnaissance. If no one's around maybe we can get on, find the ring, and get off before anyone comes back. Easy as pie, eh?" He asks as his characteristic grin returns, flashing bright white teeth.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Lakaran Tolivar

As Erech's features shift into this own, Lakaran's jaw drops open. Erech had cast no spell, Lakaran was sure he would have noticed. The man's features once again return to normal, though Lakaran can still see his own face on the man in his mind. Smiling, Lakaran says, "that's quite the trick you've got there. Spooky." Lakaran's face becomes deadly serious. "Don't do that again. Ever. Not my face.

After a moment, Lakaran smiles to lighten the mood again. "That will be undeniably useful. You can't do the voice though? That makes things a tad harder. Any ideas on how to fool Vark without the voice? With a trick like that, you have to have some more experience with it and working around its shortcomings. Lakaran looks hopeful. This could be a very easy way to accomplish our goals with minimal complications.

"Anyway, the whole reason I think we should wait to talk to the Harbormaster Keltar isn't that I really think he will intervene. It is that if try and board the ship with no attempts at getting permission, they have every right to make things get ugly. It's their job. But if we go through the motions of getting permission to board the vessel, we are in the right. If they make things get ugly, it's their fault, not ours. The job is only partly getting the ring, we also have to worry about the way in which we get it. I'm sure Lady Vanderboren wouldn't like to be associated with us if we showed up and started causing trouble and breaking laws. A little damage control could go a long way. Especially if the authorities get involved.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech

Erech's grin fades at Lakaran's reaction. "Sure, no problem." he growls, obviously crestfallen. "As far as the voice goes, I could bluff my way through the voice if I can hear the harbormaster speak for a bit," he grumbles as he continues fidgeting with his poncho, tugging lightly at one of the corners.

As Lakaran explains his reasons, understanding clearly comes over Erech's face. "I get it now, Lak. That makes sense to me, and I think it's a good idea. Maybe we can just get close enough tonight for me to observe Harbormaster Keltar for a bit, then tomorrow when we go to the ship, I-- I mean he can accompany you fine gentlemen to the ship and try and clear up this mess!" Erech finishes with a flourish as his grin returns.

He turns to Evan. "What do you think?"