New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Waking the Dragon IC

Ada quickly dashes out and takes stock of the situation. "Aaaah you've got to be kidding me. No, no. This is just friggin' perfect." She jerks her head quickly at the side of the boat. An enormous, rust-red ectoplasmic spider appears in that direction and slashes at the crocodiles with its legs.

Hmm. Crocodiles, gloura, ashworm, lillend... lillend? That's somewhat unusual. And... that big dwarf-looking sonofabitch. He could be trouble. Ancestor spirit, guide my blade... She whips her bow around to the giant dwarf and fires, but not before shouting out:

"HEY, UGLY! YEAH, YOU, WITH THE WET DOG MASK! YOU, SIR, ARE ONE UUUUUUGLY SON OF A BITCH! YOUR FATHER WAS A MOUNTAIN TROLL AND YOUR MOTHER WAS A PILE OF ROCKS!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: fly to W36, 5 feet up (in order to get above the crowd).
    Swift action: summon Personal Construct at O33/P34.
    Standard action: use White Raven Hammer on the dwarf.
    Gonna just go ahead and use Eternal Training to get +INT to attack and damage against the big dwarf.

(1d20+38)[41] FRIG ON A FRIG SANDWICH
    (1d10+12)[21] + (6d6)[30] plus stun 1 round (no save)

Construct attacks C2 twice and C3 once.
    C2:
    (1d20+22)[35]
    (1d8+14)[21]
    (1d20+22)[30]
    (1d8+14)[21]
    (2d6+21)[32] (rend damage, if both hit)

C3:
    (1d20+22)[40]
    (1d8+14)[19]
    Last edited by Lateral; 2016-05-04 at 09:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Mili quickly surveys the situation. Can't release smoke - too many innocents would be blinded by it. Would cause more harm. No time for spells, move quickly before more damage is done. Priority is the dwarf. Demon and crocodiles along the way, take out one of them, move on to the dwarf. Alfred's got the demon under control? Croc it is then. She nods to herself and bolts toward the nearest of the large amphibious reptiles. A pair of ghostly arms manifest behind her, carrying their own small blades to accompany the two she already carries.

She slides to a halt in front of the beast, using her momentum to drive her rapier straight into its body. With a little luck, she'd hit a major organ and cause some real damage.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift Action: Mili initiates Armory of the Sleeping Goddess for her kukris
    Move Action: Mili moves to O39, drawing her rapiers
    Standard Action: Mili initiates Impaling Strike on C3, spending 1 point of Inspiration on the attack

Attack Roll, Impaling Strike - (1d20+27)[34] + Inspiration - (2d8b1)[7] (x2 to damage), Damage - (1d4+19)[20] + (7d6)[6][5][1][3][6][3][2](26) (4d6 Impaling Strike, 1d6 Battle Dragon stance, Electric and Acid damage in that order)

Fortitude Save DC20 or take Constitution damage - (1d4)[1]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    HP: 151
    AC: 39
    Inspiration: 12/13
    Last edited by Khosan; 2016-05-04 at 09:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Chikohka isn't quite sure what's going on. Her 'master' seems to trust this man enough to meet with him, but then they were attacked, and...
    They haven't been paid yet. There's not even a contract.

That said, she's in the middle of a fight at a party. She may as well defend herself.

A cursory glance shows that everything looks dangerous, some to more of a degree than others. The demon seems to be distracted, for now, which leaves the snake woman and some kind of evil fairy as the main threats.

...along with a feral, vicious... whatever that is, slaughtering guests in the distance. Some of the others are already focusing on it and it's covered in armor. She can't quite reach it, though, as pleasant as it would be to send a pane of glass into his neck.

Singing enemies are never a good sign. The snake can go first.

Stepping a little closer, fury rises up inside her as she focuses. Her rage solidifes, an acid-green shard of glass
    forming in the air before her, and then launches for the fey like it was propelled from a cannon, glowing with sunfire.

Spoiler
    Show
    My range is 75ft with this. I move to X39 before manifesting.

I Wild Surge to raise my ML to 20. I get 4 of those points for free, and spend 16.

Ioun stone gives +1 on attack rolls, bumping me to +19 touch attack.
    (1d20+19)[31]

On a hit, I do 20d10+20 piercing damage.
    (20d10+20)[118]

I also enter the Stance of Piercing Rays, which gives me 2d6 fire damage on ranged attacks. You might want to rule that not working with ray powers, but if it does
    (2d6)[8]

I'm not sure what pertinent information there is, but...
    AC is 39
    Current PP is 208/240
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2016-05-06 at 12:55 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Starlight in Endless Variations

Surveying the chaos with a distasteful grimace, Starlight brushes a stray spark off of her dress. [color=royalblue]'Note to self: check security before attending high visibility functions in the future.' She smiles at Chikokha as her servant strikes out. The girl was quite useful in more ways than one.

The draconic lady bends her legs slightly, then launches herself off of the barge with a beat of translucent draconic wings of shimmering silvery light. Raising her hand into the air, she grins softly and snaps her fingers with a single word of power. "A̙̖͖͓̯̟l͞a̘ć͙͇̤͖oŗ̩̭t̩̻͎e̙͖!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: Fly up into the air (+38 to Fly for autosuccess on hover) to N34, 10' above the barge.

Standard: Cast wings of flurry, striking all enemies within 40ft. DC 21 Reflex half. Enemies who fail the Reflex save are also dazed for 1 round.
    Damage: (13d6)[39] force
    SR Check: (1d20+13)[33]

Spoiler: If a projectile attack is performed at anyone in the party within 65ft
    Show
    Immediate action: Spend a spell point to use Warp Sphere (Emergency Teleport, Ranged Teleport, Teleport Object) to catch and redirect it at the attacker. DC 30 Will negates the teleportation.
    Attack: (1d20+31)[40]
    Damage: (as original)

Spoiler: Else, if a non-projectile attack is performed against me
    Show
    Immediate action: Spend a spell point to use Warp Sphere (Emergency Teleport) to teleport away from the attack, granting evasion and a +8 to AC and Reflex saves against the attack.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2016-05-06 at 09:14 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

All in all, Eternity thought, a nice enough evening.. Not that she knew the purpose of inviting her particularly, but it was a pleasant diversion, and a chance to travel. Especially since she could fly here. Which, now she thought about it, made her wonder why she so rarely left Sharn. Probably something to do with how much there was in the city itself, especially with people like she'd seen here running around. Not that the specific luminaries she'd seen about were often there (if such a term could be applied to Chihoka), but there were certainly people like them. Herself, for instance, though now she thought about it putting it that way sounded unpleasantly arrogant. Of course, she did have plenty to be proud of, in her opinion.

Regardless of the truth of that, her reverie was broken a few moments later by a horrible screech, apparently heralding the arrival of a whole array of unpleasant things. Which left her rather understandably wondering what in the name of Siberys was going on, and quite sure she'd have some pointed questions for the host once all this was done, including whether or not he was responsible for it. Though on the other hand, that could wait until she wasn't in imminent danger; getting rid of these things was far more important. And she didn't know where he was anyhow, which was a bigger problem - if she did, she might be able to simply throw him at them and get them to leave.

"Oh well," the disguised dragon muttered, raising her hand high, fingers curved in an imitation of her native talons. "Bleed, you fluttering little faerie worm!" With that, she rakes her hand down, clawing a gash in the air from which a tiny construct in the form of a black-scaled dragon with grey lightning arcing between its scales springs, flying towards the Gloura with incredible speed. If nothing else, hopefully that would interrupt whatever spell she was casting.

The cleric doesn't bother sticking around to see if it manages to reach its target, though; instead, she crouches down, only to leap into the air above the heads of the crowd, massive black wings sprouting from her back and carrying her to the next barge over in a few powerful strokes. Her landing is accompanied by an audible thud, even over the general noise, and she screams out a challenge of her own to the massive dwarven creature in the center of it a moment later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Casting Avasculate on the Gloura. Ranged touch attack - (1d20+19)[35]. On hit, DC 30 Fort save or it's stunned for a round; regardless of if it makes the save, it loses half of its current HP.
    Move Action: Flying to V20.

AC: 34
    DR 10/Magic
    HP: 210
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2016-05-11 at 04:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Adastreia's arrow plinks harmlessly off the dwarf's plate, not even scratching the hard stone, and Eternity's spell is no more effective against the gloura, deflecting off its malign aura. Mili and Chikokha have somewhat more luck, slaying two crocodiles and the Lillend immediately. They all die silently, their bodies dissolving quickly into nothingness. Starlight's spell has a bit less effect, bruising its targets a bit but no more. Alfred seemingly traps the shadowy fiend, but it winks out of existance.

Spoiler: Adastreia
    Show
    When your arrow bounces off the dwarf, Cassael makes a sound of surprise in your ear, then grunts. "I think I recall telling you that the Emerald Razor shot is a useful technique to have in your repertoire," he says dryly. "Am I misremembering? You would certainly never be so disrespectful or foolish as to ignore the advice of someone your elder by a hundred centuries."

The fey begins quickly whipping its arms and antennae in complicated patterns and speaking in its eerily echoing and modulating voice. A shattering boom rocks the area around Starlight and Mili. Starlight blinks slightly out of the way to avoid the worst of it, but Mili and Adastreia's construct take the full brunt of the blast. Immediately after, flickering dark flame surrounds the great ashworm and it bellows in pain. The aura seems to be drawn into the fey, and a net made of stone interlaced with strands of a sickly green force shoots from its hand to envelop Starlight.

The stone dwarf, meanwhile, bulls through the crowd and leaps the gap between the barges. The one you are on suddenly tips as the sudden weight pushes the bow underwater. A great number of the guests fall to the deck, and the remainder begin fleeing away from the dwarf, trampling the other guests. The dwarf then crashes through the crowd on this barge, crushing some and rendering a table to splinters, trying to reach Adastreia.

He does. With a great, incoherent bellow, the dwarf's fists, claws and teeth lash out at her, seeking blood and trying to drag her to the deck of the barge.

Show
    Everyone standing on the barge make a DC 15 Acrobatics check or fall prone. The barge now counts as slightly unsteady and if you're to the south of the creature you're attacking you have high ground (+1 to melee attack).

And FYI, that is not how outsiders normally die, and it's certainly not how fiendish animals die. It's pretty clear they're summoned when they do that.

Shadow Demon
    Move: Shadow blend. Effectively invisible.
    Standard: ???
    Swift: ???

Gloura
    Standard: Cast great thunderclap. Mili, Starlight, and the astral construct must make Fort or be deafened 1 minute, Will or be stunned 1 round, and Reflex or fall prone. DC 29. (I rolled Starlight's Will and Reflex in the OOC thread.) If you fail any save, you also take damage:
    (3d6)[4] to Starlight
    (3d6)[8] to Mili
    (3d6)[10] to the AC
    Swift: Cast quickened greater wingbind* on Starlight. Reflex DC 34. On failure, you immediately plummet to the ground, taking falling damage (none here, since you fall in the water), cannot fly, are entangled, and take 1d6+7 damage per round. If you succeed, your maneuverability drops by two steps, you are entangled, and take 1d6+7 damage per round. It lasts 15 rounds regardless.

Dwarf
    Swift: Activate Belt of Battle to move to O27/Q29. (It's large and heavy enough to ignore the crowds.)
    Full-round: Charge Ada to T32/V34. Every attack that deals at least 10 damage gives him a trip chance and his bite gets an extra one. He also gets a free attack if he successfully trips her (which I will roll in the OOC after you roll your opposed checks). If he hits with both claws he gets rend.
    UAS: (1d20+26)[27] (4d8+19)[39]+(3d6)[9] Trip (1d20+20)[40]
    UAS: (1d20+26)[37] (4d8+19)[38]+(3d6)[12] Trip (1d20+20)[40]
    UAS: (1d20+21)[22] (4d8+19)[30]+(3d6)[6] Trip (1d20+20)[30]
    UAS: (1d20+16)[22] (4d8+19)[38]+(3d6)[9] Trip (1d20+20)[37]
    Claw: (1d20+21)[27] (3d6+7)[16] Trip (1d20+20)[28]
    Claw: (1d20+21)[28] (3d6+7)[19] Trip (1d20+20)[31]
    Rend: (4d6+14)[27]
    Bite: (1d20+21)[23] (3d6+10)[21] Trip (1d20+20)[39] Trip (1d20+20)[33]

*You won't find this in any book. Stack made it for me.
    Spoiler: Spellcraft 22
    Show
    Wingbind
    Evocation [Force]
    Level: Sorcerer 6, Wizard 6,
    Components: V, S,
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Target: One creature
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial
    Spell Resistance: No

The flying creature lets out a surprised howl and then plummets to the ground, its wings flat against its body and struggling against a green glowing net.
    A web of force surrounds the target, entangling it like a net. This spell functions like earthbind, except that an ensnared creature immediately falls to the ground, taking falling damage. The net also constricts the target, dealing 1d6+1/2 levels damage per round. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check against a DC equal to the save DC of the spell. Like a wall of force, this web of force is impervious to most attacks: It is immune to damage of all kinds, cannot be burst with a Strength check, and is unaffected by most spells, including dispel magic. Also like a wall of force, the web is immediately destroyed by disintegrate, a rod of cancellation, a sphere of annihilation, or Mordenkainen's disjunction.

On a successful Reflex save, the target does not immediately fall, but its maneuverability is reduced two categories. If this would reduce its maneuverability below clumsy, it falls gently to the ground, taking no damage, and cannot fly for the duration of the spell.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-05-11 at 04:17 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Alfred senses the impending spell form the Gloura and sends a surge of energy down his staff, white lightning arcing out and dispursing the gathered magic potential before it fully manifests.
    Spoiler
    Show
    successful dispel check rolled OOC, cancels the great thunderclap

The wings of his white armor push him into the air, clearing the now unsteady deck. He shoots out just above head level and sends the white lighting toward the crocodile.

Spoiler
    Show
    fly to S36
    dispel (1 sp) medium range vs croc (1d20+17)[28]

counterspell if the gloura casts again
    spellcraft to identify (1d20+21)[41]
    dispel (1d20+17)[18]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Keeping her balance without even trying, barely even noticing the rocking of the boat, Chikohka steals sideways. One down, a few to go - and the ball of armor has oh-so conveniently charged into the killing zone.

She focuses her will upon him, studying him, fixing the image in ehr head as a long, narrow shard forms in the air before her, shimmering with flame, before it flickers away into the distance, heading for the dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show
    I move sideways to V39.
    I spend a Swift action to make the dwarf my Hunter's Quarry. This does nothing this round, but if the dwarf's alive next round I start getting precision damage on it.

I then manifest Crystal Shard. +19 touch, +1 for high ground, +1 for point blank shot.
    (1d20+21)[39] touch

On a hit, deals 20d6+20 piercing, +1 for PBS, +2d6 fire for my stance of piercing rays.
    (20d6+21)[86]
    (2d6)[8]

then I hope I'm not dazed.
    (1d100)[65]Psychic Enervation.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Ada's face is quickly wiped of its mocking smile as she sees her arrows bounce harmlessly off of the big man's armor. His followup attacks please her even less, although she is able to avoid injury with a well-timed arrow deflection. On his fist.

"Why yes, old man," Ada whispers through gritted teeth, "I think you must be misremembering, because I don't know the Emerald Razor technique. Xaelin never taught me that one. Perhaps, if there had been someone around to advise— or, perhaps, even guide him while teaching me, that guide might have made a point about it then, when it would have been useful, rather than now, when it is useless."

"But no, no, by all means, please sass me during combat. Maybe you'll distract me for long enough that I'll finally kick the bucket, and you'll get to go bother your precious High King Shaeras. Float around his giant royal head, while he sits his giant royal butt on his giant royal throne. Wouldn't that be exciting?"

"Now, why don't you just sit there and watch magic handle what arrows can't?"

Ada breaths in deeply, and retreats into her mind's eye, as she has done so many times before. She sees the world fixed about her, and floats within it, a lone drifter seeing the eternity within an instant. She sees the currents of her mind, the patterns of thought that glow with light— once a bright garnet red, now worn by harsh decades into the shade of rusted steel. She reaches out and grabs one, binding it to her, giving it form. A glowing red spiral of light, blossoming from her forebrain and rushing out through her brow. It drives swiftly, inexorably towards the beast's prefrontal cortex, seeking to drill through his defenses and bind his executive functions in submission to her will. It reaches the stony creature's massive forehead...

...And shatters, as she fades out of her split-second psychic trance and rejoins the flow of time without mind. Clearly, though possessed of a certain understanding of the giant dwarf's meagre intellect, she had underestimated the force of its will. Or, as she would put it—

"SON OF AN EGG-BRAINED GOAT-FACED DIRE HALF-DRAGON WERE-RHINOCEROS CHEAP KARRNATHI WHORE! WHAT, IS YOUR BRAIN MADE OF ROCKS, TOO?!"
    "...Oh, just say it, Cassael."

Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    <Everyone. This is Ada. I'm communicating with you telepathically. Don't be alarmed. By me, I mean. I thought I should make everyone aware of the shadow demon, which has teleported out of Sir Alfred's ward— yes, Mr. Silver Flame, teleporting fiends are rather common— and is now hiding in our employer's cabin. It would be nice if someone could dispatch it, my hands are a bit tied at the moment. It's powerless in bright light and easily hurt with magical force, if that helps. You may also have noticed that the gloura and the dwarf are both rather difficult to injure. As much as it pains me to say this, my arrows aren't going to cut it. The dwarf's will is... substantially stronger than I had anticipated from observing his mind, but anything that can bypass the dwarf's armor should do just fine. The gloura... well, do whatever you can.>

Spoiler: Chikohka
    Show
    <YOU. WHAT YOU JUST DID. GOOD JOB. DO IT AGAIN, PLEASE.> As you "hear" these words in your mind, you feel a mysterious surge of inspiration in your chest. Somehow, this allows you to warp time itself in order to take another full round of actions. No, I don't know how it's supposed to work, either.

Show
    I'm trying to develop an idea of what using her abilities actually looks like to her, so I don't have to say "Ada breathes in and a display happens" every time she uses a power.

Standard action: Manifest mind control, augmented to 13 pp. Will DC 25 negates... which you already rolled against.
    Move action: fly to V40. Autosucceeds on the tumbling.
    Swift action: WRT Chikohka. Assuming that Ada's delayed until after her first action, she gets to go twice this round. Tenderize the dwarf, please.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2016-05-11 at 10:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Mili twirls her blade, pulling it back from the smoking remains of the crocodile. Her secondary target dealt with, she turns back toward the dwarf just in time to see him flying through the air towards the snarky comedienne. A couple seconds of seeing it fight was all she needed. Full of holes but...Packs a punch though. Safety first.

She takes a moment, settles her mind - focusing her psychic energy on her body, her skin, repeating one key word over and over, Safe. The effect isn't the least bit visually impressive. With an already black and well-kept coat of fur, the difference is barely perceptible.

Not wasting another moment, she takes off, only stopping to float in front of the great feral dwarf's face. She locks eyes with him and, not entirely on purpose, yells a bit more loudly than is really necessary for the distance, "Try picking on the little one instead. See where that gets you."

Show
    Swift Action: Mili studies the dwarf
    Standard Action: Mili casts Ironskin
    Move Action: Mili moves to V35

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HP: 143 / 151
    AC: 46

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Goodness, does that woman talk a lot.
    That was the plan. she thinks, vaguely in her direction - how does this work, anyway?

The flood of energy is... invigorating. It makes her giddy, and it's a different emotion to normal that she raises high, riding on as she pours energy into the world around her, forming a cloud of glimmering shards, each one barely large enough to see, and launches them in a flurry of white hot death.

Spoiler
    Show
    High ground and PBS mean I attack at +21.

(1d20+21)[32]
    (40d3+41)[121] 2d3/PP, +1/die from crystal specialisation, +1 PBS.
    (2d6)[8] plus fire from my stance.

12. - Top - End - #42

Flashing away from the sonic blast only to be partially caught in a painful net of glowing force, Starlight closes her eyes for a second and mentally berates herself for underestimating an opponent once again. She replies hastily to Ada, <Understood. I'll handle this one. They've made it rather personal now.>

She reaches out with her mind and body, brushing past the pitiful limits of the fabric of space to deliver a brutal snap with draconic jaws of immaterial light.

Show
    Damage taken from Greater Wingbind: (1d6+7)[12]

Standard: Bite attack (using Fragmented Strike) on the ashworm.
    Attack: (1d20+29)[40] (If target can cast arcane spells or use arcane SLAs: +2 to attack, +(2d6+2)[13] to damage)
    Damage: (2d8+20)[32] B/P/S, 1 Con damage

Spoiler: If the gloura casts a hostile spell that could affect itself
    Show
    Immediate: Use ring of spell-battle to redirect the spell onto the gloura

Spoiler: If the gloura casts any other spell
    Show
    Immediate: Use Counterspell/Counterspell Mastery to counter the spell, spending 2 spell points
    MSB check (against 11+CL): (1d20+20)[30]

Show
    HP: 265/281
    Spell Points: 34/35

Spell Slots: 8/8/7/6/5

Conditions:
    Greater Wingbind: Entangled, 1d6+7 damage per round - 14 rounds
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2016-05-14 at 08:22 PM.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

<I'll help with the dwarf - not sure where the demon went, but I've something I can do to my eyes once this is clear, should show him if he's still in this plane,> Eternity replies quickly, shadowy wings unfurling from her back once more even as she completes the thought. An instant later and she's back in the air once more, a few beats of her wings sufficing to let her drop down behind the dwarf, the impact sending a tremor through the planking like a more muted version of what happened when the stony being before her leapt here.

Those curious about that, however, are likely to be distracted by what happens afterwards - she shoves her hand forward, jamming a forked brass rod into the back of the feral creature's knee. Not, in itself, impressive; the distracting part is how the limb quickly starts to become a window onto a sea of molten stone, great brass cities in the distance. Especially with the fact that the dwarf looks to be burning away to fuel that transformation.

Show
    Move Action: Fly to S33.
    Standard Action: Cast Plane Shift on the dwarf. DC28 Will save negates, otherwise he's going to end up within five to five hundred miles of one of the cities.

AC: 34
    HP: 210

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Though Adastreia's mental assault meets only a stone wall and the dwarf similarly manages to remain in this world rather than be dragged to Fernia by Eternity's spell, the others are more successful. The remaining crocodile disappears in a burst of light while the crystals Chikokha fires at the dwarf send spiderwebs of cracks across its stony skin, eliciting a scream of rage like two mountains rubbing against each other. Starlight is likewise successfuul in her attack, ripping a large chunk out of the gloura's mount.

His eyes darting about, assessing what has happened, the gloura shouts at the dwarf, "We're done here, Thangol! Give me the Devourer's blessing and we go!" He lifts off from his mount and flies closer to the barge. In a blur of motion, the fey seems to fire off an impossible number of spells, again apparently drawing energy from its mount. Starlight manages to interrupt the flow of energy to one of them, but the others get through. Massive knouts of black marble sprout from the decks of all the vessels, grabbing and crushing guests and defenders alike. More nets of stone and force shoot from its hands. Amidst these horrors, the dwarf blurs and appears next to the fey on the dock. He roars with the same megalithic voice, in defiance this time rather than pain, and a sense of overwhelming age and power washes over you. It leaps over the edge and splashes into the water, then begins burying through the silt and sand of the riverbed until it can't be seen.

Its last spell cast, the gloura returns to its mount, and it too disappears beneath the riverbed.

Spoiler: Knowledge (local) DC 25 (DC 20 if you speak Dwarven)
    Show
    That is a decidedly odd name for a dwarf.
    Spoiler: Knowledge (local) DC 35 (DC 30 if you speak Dwarven)
    Show
    It's actually a duergar name. You probably didn't realize it was that particular subrace because the telltale bald pate and ashen skin are obscured by its soulmeld and stony exoskeleton.

Show
    Gloura
    Move: Move closer to barge.
    Standard: Cast greater black tentacles*, but this is countered.
    Swift: Cast quickened persistant greater wingbind on Starlight. Reflex DC 32; roll twice and take the worse. On failure, you immediately plummet to the ground, taking falling damage (none here, since you fall in the water), cannot fly, are entangled, and take 1d6+7 damage per round. If you succeed, your maneuverability drops by two steps, you are entangled, and take 1d6+7 damage per round. It lasts 15 rounds regardless.

Dwarf
    Move: Dimension door to edge of barge
    Swift: Initiate white raven tactics on gloura.
    Move: Jump into water and burrow down.

Gloura
    Move: Move closer to barge.
    Standard: Cast dazing greater black tentacles*, covering the entirety of all the barges except the cabin. If you take damage you must make a Will save (DC 32) or be dazed.
    Swift: Cast quickened greater wingbind on Starlight, or Adastreia if Starlight failed to save against the first one. Reflex DC 32. On failure, you immediately plummet to the ground, taking falling damage, cannot fly, are entangled, and take 1d6+7 damage per round. If you succeed, your maneuverability drops by two steps, you are entangled, and take 1d6+7 damage per round. It lasts 15 rounds regardless.
    Move: Fly back to the ashworm.
    Greater black tentacle grapple checks:
    Eternity: (1d20+32)[40]; (4d6+13)[26] damage
    Adastreia: (1d20+32)[36]; (4d6+13)[29] damage
    Mili: (1d20+32)[49]; (4d6+13)[29] damage
    Chikokha: (1d20+32)[33]; (4d6+13)[30] damage
    Alfred: (1d20+32)[47]; (4d6+13)[32] damage

*As the Pathfinder version, but without the anti-evil stuff.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-05-16 at 11:55 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    know local (1d20+7)[24]
    will (1d20+22)[33]
    Alfred swoops back toward their employer, shouting out the location of the shadowdemon to the others. Obsolete by black tentacles
    Spoiler
    Show
    40' move back into the tent, no standard until I see what others do
    Last edited by stack; 2016-05-18 at 11:53 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

With her full attention focused on the dwarf-thing, Mili doesn't notice the gloura's spells until it's too late. The magical stone erupts from the floor and winds its way around her lower body, crushing her legs and dozens of the nearby party guests. After a few moments of fruitless struggle, she collects her thoughts, <Get rid of this damnable magic first, then we'll handle the demon - if it's still around.> She plants all four of her hands on the stony tendril wrapped around her waist, glowing magical symbols dart across her mask and ethereal limbs, stopping only momentarily before all surging downwards into her bindings.

Show
    Swift Action: Change to the Unavoidable Gaze of the Sleeping Goddess stance
    Standard Action: Mili casts Dispel Magic, targeting the Black Tentacles, Dispel Check - (1d20+15)[25] + Inspiration - (2d8b1)[8]

If successful, she'll:
    Move Action: Move to T44

Otherwise, incapable of doing anything, she does nothing else.

Show
    HP: 114/151
    Last edited by Khosan; 2016-05-17 at 06:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Unable to throw out more than a single counterspell, Starlight grimaces as the guests are taken and crushed by the sudden stone outgrowth. She turns her attention back to the enemy before she's struck with yet another binding, this one finally succeeding in taking her down. She grabs onto the railing of the barge, wincing as she comes to a sudden halt. With anger and fire in her eyes, she mutters a word of power and lets a wave of nullifying magic flow outward to destroy the corruption that has overtaken the barge. "...I certainly hope this works, even if they've gotten away."

Show
    Damage taken from greater wingbind: (1d6+7)[12]

Standard: Use Improved Counterspell to dispel the greater black tentacles and wingbind on self, spending 2 spell points.
    MSB Check on tentacles (vs DC 11+CL, presumably 26): (1d20+20)[24]
    MSB Check on wingbind (vs DC 11+CL, presumably 26): (1d20+20)[28]

Move: If dispel check is successful on wingbind (regardless of tentacles), start flying upward about 10ft. If dispel check is successful on tentacles but not on wingbind, pull self up onto barge. If neither is successful, stay there.

Show
    HP: 253/281
    Spell Points: 30/35

Spell Slots: 7/8/7/6/5s
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2016-05-18 at 10:43 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Caught in the spell, Alfred attempts to disrupt it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    concentration (1d20+23)[27]

dispel (1d20+17)[19]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Despite all of your efforts, the tentacles remain. What few guests escaped their clutches initially are now caught in their embrace, their life being wrung out of them.

Eternity, lone among those on the barge to remain free, flies at Adastreia's behest into the cabin, snatching a garland of lights along the way. Rather than weave between the paper curtains dividing the space, she tears right through them until she spots an adamantine-clad warforged trying to protect a half-elf from a threat he cannot see.

Eternity, however, sees it. It is barely there, a wisp of shadow, but draconic senses are hard to fool. Brandishing the lights she utters a nearly unpronounceable word of power, and with a flash of light and a howl in the Dark Speech the demon disappears.

Show
    Tentacle damage:
    Adastreia: (4d6+13)[29] damage
    Mili: (4d6+13)[30] damage
    Chikokha: (4d6+13)[22] damage
    Alfred: (4d6+13)[28] damage
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2016-05-22 at 08:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Ada groans. "I told her he was strong-willed. I said someone needed to take care of the demon. I swear, do I have to do everything my..." The gloura's spell catches her mid-sentence, and stuns her just long enough for the tentacles to grab her and shake her awake.

"Uugh. This is like Passage all over again. At least no one cast grease this time. Ah well, only one thing to do..." Ada closes her eyes and settles into her mind's eye; though unable to move her body, she is at least able to draw the streams around her mentally, disrupting the flow of energy in the stony tendrils.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: manifest dispel psionics. Autosucceeds on the concentration check. Please please work.

(1d20+14)[20] vs DC 26

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Groaning, Mili slams her fists against the stone, very clearly frustrated by her lack of success. Every second trapped in this was another innocent bystander gone. She could escape on her own, but it would mean delaying the rescue of the others and that...that was not an option. Placing her hands back against the tentacles slowly encircling her, she tries again to remove them.

Show
    Standard Action: Mili casts Dispel Magic on the tentacles. Again.
    Concentration - (1d20+24)[27] + Inspiration - (2d8b1)[5]
    Dispel Check - (1d20+15)[25] + Inspiration - (2d8b1)[6]

Show
    HP: 84 / 151
    Inspiration: 3 / 13

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Mili's second attempt finally manages to break the web of magic holding the stone ropes together. The collapse suddenly, sending people and corpses—mostly corpses—tumbling to the ground.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Alfred rises immediately begins stabilizing the wounded as quickly as he is able. "Help we keep them alive long enough to heal properly, please."
    Spoiler
    Show
    will use invigorate to give THP to anyone bleeding out to stabilize them, then start burning SP for mass heals to get everyone patched up. Not sure how many there are down, so hard to estimate SP needed. 11 creatures healed up to 200 HP (fast ehal 1 for 20 minutes) per 2 SP

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

From a collapsed heap, Mili lets out a relieved sigh. Not ideal, far more dead than she's comfortable with, but not strictly a failure. "Jut gonna...take a minute down here. Not dead, just...mentally exhausted."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Once Mili's spell finally disrupts the gloura's spell, Ada surveys the damage, starting with her own body. Though covered in gashes and bruises, her artificial limbs seem to be in perfectly functional condition, and none of her injuries are obviously life-threatening. She begins mumbling quietly to herself, presumably to keep her mind off the pain. "Head still attached? Check. Organs still functioning? Check. Legs? Two for two. Arms? Nope, still at the bottom of Stormwreck Bay. Still, so far so good. Nothing but flesh wounds. I've had worse."

Redirecting her attention to the partygoers, she checks around with her mental vision for signs of life, and immediately sighs in disappointment. Though only a few seconds ago she could perceive over five hundred minds gathered on the barges, now only a handful remain. Hmmph, she thinks to herself, what a senseless waste of life.

...Eh, they're rich. They'll get better.
    Seeing that Alfred has taken care of those few survivors, and having observed their enemies' retreat into the sand, Ada flies at top speed into their employers' cabin. Seeing that her employer and his bodyguards are largely unharmed, she turns to Eternity. "Thank you for taking care of that demon, Miss Serrow. I'd have done it myself, but... well, I suppose we all had our hands full." She turns to d'Lyrandar. "Those two. Do you know anything about them? They seemed to be calling someone a 'traitor,' and this was your party, after all."
    Spoiler: Eternity
    Show
    <Aeternitas in Crudeles Umbris. Tandem te congredi gaudeo. Quid te hac nocte huc ducit?>
    Spoiler: Rough translation from Draconic
    Show
    Eternity in Heartless Shadows. I'm glad to finally meet you. What brings you here tonight?
    Last edited by Lateral; 2016-05-26 at 05:13 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

D'Lyrandar is shaken and wounded. There are two great gashes across his chest welling up with blood, and his eyes are wild. "What two? I didn't see anything but the demon."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Finally noticing d'Lyrandar's rather extensive injuries, Ada reconsiders her priorities a bit. "Ah... hmm. Perhaps we should continue this conversation... later, after we get you patched up."

<HEY!> Ada "shouts" telepathically to everyone she can sense. <Any of you packing healing magic? Mr. d'Lyrandar could use some attention, and unfortunately I'm not equipped for it.>

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

<On it.> Mili pulls herself to her feet, groaning as she does. The tentacles had done a number on her legs, but not enough to keep her down. Enough to make her wobbly as she made her way over to Ada and their new boss though. She removes the wand from her bag and jabs it into D'Lyrandar's thigh, activating it and releasing a tiny amount of healing magic.

"That should stop the bleeding. Won't get you a hundred percent, but it'll get you in working order." She shouts, the ringing in her ears not having quite worked its way out.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

D'Lyrandar winces a bit as the wand strikes his thigh, but slowly his face relaxes as his wound starts to heal. It doesn't completely heal over, but at the very least it stops bleeding. "Thank you, Miss Alpentail," he says.

"Now, what happened out there?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

"What?!" Mili boxes her ears while Ada telepathically relates what D'Lyrandar said. "Ah, got it. And I think the ringing's stopped. So in addition to the demon, we had to deal with a fey, his ashworm, a very large, berserk dwarf and a couple crocodiles. Not pretty, as you can see. Caught us off guard and took out most of the party guests. Alfred's helping out the survivors. We obviously got the demon, but the fey and dwarf got away." She climbs into a nearby chair and begins to gently rub her battered legs.

"The fey was shouting something about a traitor? Something about how they needed to pay and they were going to collect. Not sure who they were talking to specifically, considering they didn't target anyone in particular. Just...took out all but a handful of the other guests."