Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Down and out in the Koronus Expanse - IC

Another day dawns in Port Wander; not that 'day' or 'night' or even 'dawn' have much meaning in the artificial light of the vast space station. Many of the more dissolute members of the Belevoué clan have been out partying for hours already, if not days. But for the head of the dynasty and his loyal council, who still strive for the glories to be had in the expanse, a new day means new opportunities. In fact, a servant has just delivered a note to his master.

Lord Belevoué;
    I have heard that you are trying to buy a ship; as it happens, I have one I should like to sell. Meet me at the Silver Rose at 1030 station time if you are interested.
    -Lord Giovanni D'Artois.
    Curious. You all know Giovanni D'Artois is a wastrel son of some other up and coming dynasty; a popular drinking companion of some of the younger members of the Belevoué clan. Not someone who would ordinarily have a ship for sale. But if the offer is real, it could mean an end to the dynasty's long years without a voidship of its own. The meeting is in just over two hours; just enough time to prepare for the meeting and perhaps do a little research. The Silver Rose is a small cafe near the estates of the nobility; quiet, tasteful and discrete.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Down and out in the Koronus Expanse - IC

Serafina, with the first glass of amasec of the day firmly in hand, reads the letter over Andros's shoulder. "Well, thats wonderful!" She says with an excited smile. "I wonder what type of ship it will be? I've always adored cruisers, they handle so smoothly. Oh, but a frigate would be just as wonderful, they're so sleek and quick, eager to please in the right hands. Maybe a destroyer, fresh from some ancient war against the enemies of humanity? I would even be pleased with one of those lumbering, earnest transports."

She sets her glass down on a nearby surface, and starts heading back for her wing. "Its so exciting! Captain, I'm going out to find out what ship Monsieur D'Artois has acquired. I will meet you at the cafe at the appointed time!"
    "Is mise tusa... Is tusa mise... Ón bhfarraige d'anam, tháinig mé..."
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ
    A scientist never needs a reason to set something on fire.
    The only thing that exists is the way people relate, interact and affect each other, and how that expands throughout the world. There should never be an end to a tale.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Faye sat across from her compatriates, the more elegent of her robes giving the appearance of someone far less dangerous. She leaned slightly on one of the chair's arms, watching as their enthusiastic navigator left, before turning back to the group.

"While I share Mistress Ciconia's desire to ply the void once more, Lord Captain, I'm sure I don't need to advice caution in this matter. This is a trap, a con or a long plan, maybe even all of them, and we would be best served to find out what we can before we even set foot in the Silver Rose. Even then, we need a plan for how the meeting goes down. I would presume Mistress Ciconia's enquiries will be less than subtle, but with your leave, I'd like to try to figure D'Artois' angle on this without causing a similar scene. I'm sure a few of his subordinates have some knowledge they'd like to part with, even if they don't know it yet."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Remi heard the discussion, and interjected in the wake of Faye, "Ah, but we know it is a trap. And what do we know about traps? They are laid by those who are in inferior positions. Should they be able to cause you harm, they would merely do so. Cleave to righteousness, see through their deceptions, and all that is left is a stronger prey, and a weak predator."

He stood up, leaning on his staff and badge of office, such as it was. The magnificent missionary staff, with a silver Aquila topping it, seemingly carved of some dark, hard wood that has stood up over the years to everything from xenos claws to the daemonic powered chainswords of the Traitor Legions.

"Of course, you have no choice," he told the Lord-Captain, staring directly at him. "Your fate, and mine, lies around distant stars. Take what you can, and trust in the God-Emperor to see you through." He didn't blink, and didn't seem intimidated at least by a person so august as a Rogue Trader Warrant Holder, no deferential tone in his voice.

"It's not every cycle a ship is offered for trade. I'm sure it will not be difficult to find the vessel. I shall proceed to consecrate the ship, in anticipation of your acquisition."

With that he made the sign of the Aquila, bowed slightly, and went off, to discover the identity of the ship being traded, and to start the cleansing.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Serafina sweeps back into the room not 2 minutes later in full dress, and retrieves her glass of amasec. "Ah, Miss Crimson, would you do me the honor of accompanying me? I believe the party is the one that Monsieur D'Artois's charming Master of Arms invited me to. Or was it his Master of Ordnance?"
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ
    The only thing that exists is the way people relate, interact and affect each other, and how that expands throughout the world. There should never be an end to a tale.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Seigfried nods at the words of Remi, gesturing a brief Aquila across his chest. "Your spiritual counsel speaks truth, Lord-Captain, as he always does. To have such an opportunity be handed to you can be nothing but the intervention of His Will directly, to repair the damage done to your fortunes by less principled members of your line. If he has placed danger in your path along with such a gift, as the Lady Crimson suggests, it shall be merely to test your fitness as His instrument."

The cultist-turned-armsman-turned-assassin was in a somber mood as always, sipping carefully from the glass of cold water he habitually requested in place of amasec or other liquors, and though his chosen weapons of battle were absent in the privileged and secure room, his body language as always held the edge of watchful tension and readiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lieutenant Remi DeSeare listens carefully to the contents of the note. Following the habits instilled in him through years of naval service he gathered his own thoughts on the matter and heard those of his compatriots before voicing his opinion.

"I suppose it's too much to hope that D'Artois is on the level. I'm as ready as any of you to get back to flying, I've been dirtside so long my bones are starting to ache." He started "Whatever the deal is we can be sure there will be strings attached. Best case... maybe that fool won some junker in a game of cards, but at this point we can't really be picky."
    Last edited by Iron Warlord; 2016-05-02 at 12:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Serafina and Faye head out together to learn more about the D'Artois family. Serafina finds a few noble acquaintances out for an early drink, and begins chatting with them.

"Giovanni? Haven't seen him in a few days. It was, uh, at Lord Greystone's party, did you go? He left early, I think. Hey, if you see him, he said he'd get us some Obscura, we're still waiting on it," says one.
    "Yeah, I saw him go into the detox room with a servant. Poor bastard, I hate that stuff. And he didn't show up for our card game last night. I hope he's alright," says the other.
    "Ah, I forgot to tell you, my uncle made me get a job on his ship; we're shipping out first thing tomorrow. So I won't be able to meet you for dinner tomorrow..." The two nobles continue gossiping and complaining about the cruel fate that has befallen him.

While Serafina is gossiping with the nobles, Faye meets with a friendly and discrete information broker at his office nearby. For a few thrones, he hands her a small dossier on the D'Artois family. They have a relatively new warrant, about 50 years old, but have not had much success in the expanse. The dynasty is currently led by Lady Elena D'Artois, Giovanni's older sister. They are currently believed to have established a colony in the expanse, and are heavily invested in light manufacturing in and around Footfall. There are no dark legends or great successes that have attached themselves to the family name. Giovanni D'Artois has been content to "manage" the Port Wander side of the family business, although he spends most of his time seeking his own entertainment.

---

Father Remi heads down to the docks, searching for the D'Artois' ship. Passing workers and longshoremen give him a wide berth, making the sign of the aquila as he passes. But as he asks about the D'Artois ship, he mostly gets shrugs and blank stares. Finally, he finds a sufficiently devout port official who does some quick research in his records. "There must be some mistake, Father, the D'Artois flagship Hot Ice left for the Koronus Expanse eight months ago. And their transport ship, Pride of Tortuga is in a convoy bound for Scintilla; it is not expected to return for several months."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Andros half-smiled a little at the way everyone kept calling him 'Captain'. He had no ship... yet, to be the captain off. Only a real Sparrowy type of person would insist of being called Captain even though he or she did not even own a ship.

"Come on everyone, i have told you all several times now that i do not hold the rights of a Void Ship yet. So Lord Belevoué will do until then." He said. It had taken him quite a while to get used to his position as rogue trader... 2 years in fact.
    Right now though, he had faith that his appointed crew-to-be would indeed do a good job. So instead of running around like he had used to do, why not instead just stay here and enjoy some amasec and possibly one of those fine pastries.

(sorry about being late on this. i never noticed the IC was up, until now)
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

"May the Emperor shine his light upon you," Remi blessed the dock worker with the answers, flashing the sign of the Aquila to him, before walking away. A dead end at least, the ship wasn't in port... yet. He wasn't the brightest block in the icebox but he did know that there was no mention of the Hot Ice's time of return from the Expanse. That lead him to his next step, leaving the docking clamps of the port behind, and heading towards the Astropathic Tower, catching a ride on a passing tram with nothing more than a smile and his presence as He Who Bears The Light.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

While the party is enjoyable, it quickly becomes clear that this group knows next to nothing. The Obscura might become useful later though, perhaps as a gift? But what's needed right now is information on a potential voyage, and for that Serafina heads for the quarters of the Navis Nobilite.
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Father Remi arrives at the public entrance to the astropathic relay. He is in luck; the line is short and soon enough he is in front of a window, where a bored clerk says, "welcome to the astropathic relay, how can I help you today?"

--

The Navis Nobilite on Port Wander have taken over a luxurious hotel, where those houses that can afford the equally luxurious fees can stay in quiet splendor while staying at the station. Although House Ciconia has not seen fit to purchase a membership for Serafina, all those that bear the Navigator's gift and curse are welcome to pass some time in the lounge and restaurant of the hotel. When Serafina enters, the place is in an uproar; liveried servants rush everywhere, getting in each other's way, trying to see to their master's belongings, while also maintaining their place in their obscure pecking order. A few Navigators sit at an out of the way table, watching with detached amusement. One of them beckons, "Oy! Serafina! Care to join us for a cup of recaf?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Serafina grins as she waltzes through the crowded foyer. Its good to be among her true peers again. "I don't touch the filthy stuff, its bad for your health!"

She takes a seat on an empty chair, and gives a nearby attendant a smile. "Though I wouldn't say no to a drink."

When the servant scuttles away to wherever they keep the liquor, Serafina turns to her new drinking companions. "So, why all the fuss? Someone important coming?"
    Last edited by Q'telun; 2016-05-03 at 12:19 PM.
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Thanking the broker for his fair trade on the matter, Faye leaves the office and returns to her quarters. While the meet seems less likely to be a trap, and more likely to be a business proposition, she decides it's still best to be prepared. Changing into her second robes, ones more akin to lesser noble, and donning her synskin beneath, she searches for somewhere suitable to stow her weapons nearby before finding somewhere to sit that allows her to observe the Silver Rose without drawing attention to herself.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Serafina sits at a table with three other navigators; Gilead Tormak, Yeshua Nyugen, and Lucy Caller. A waiter brings her a glass of sparkling wine. Gilead immediately says, "put it on my tab," a moment later, Yeshua says, "no, put it on my tab." Lucy rolls her eyes.

"Someone important is leaving," says Gilead. "All of us, to be exact. There's an emergency at some colony in the Expanse, and a convoy is being sent to evacuate it. All shore leave cancelled, repairs stopped, all hands on deck, that sort of thing."
    "I suppose operational security means nothing to you?" asks Lucy.
    Gilead shrugs. "The whole station will know in a few hours, if they don't already. Hey, you still on contract with that Belevoué kid? I'm sure nobody would object if you walked away. I can ask my gramps, I'm sure he'd get you a nice apprenticeship somewhere; seems a waste of your talents to be stuck here."

--

Faye arrives at the Silver Rose just before 1000. There is a large open area with tables, while private rooms are upstairs. A quick glance at the head waiter's clipboard sees that D'Artois has reserved one of them for 1030. Faye gets a table affording her a clear view of the door and the stairway to the upper level. While it would be extremely gauche to assassinate someone you barely knew at a meeting, stranger things have happened in the expanse. At 1012, two guards in D'Artois livery come into the restaurant and speak briefly with the head waiter. Then they go upstairs. Faye sees Siegmund follow them in. At 1021, one of them leaves the restaurant, Faye can see that the other one is stationed at the door.

--

Siegmund looks around the entrance to the Silver Rose. The restaurant is just below some of the houses of the 'lesser' nobility. The open corridor has been set up to resemble some imagined planetary street; fake cobblestones lie atop the deck plating, and a few planters with real plants line the street. A number of businesses catering to the needs of the nobility line the street. Given that this is still the upper decks of the station, security guards do restrict access to this area and keep the lower-deck denizens away; but their job is mainly to protect the wealthy residents from the poor. There are two visible doors to the cafe, and there is probably a hidden elevator below the cafe to bring food and supplies in without inconveniencing the nobles. As Siegmund scouts the entrances, he sees two D'Artois guardsmen look around the cafe as well, clearly scoping it as he is. Then they head into the cafe. After Siegmund shows them his credentials, they salute and say, "we're just checking the room for bugs and anything suspicious. The two guards pull out chem sniffers and a radio detector and scan the room. After a few minutes, one of the guards says, "All clear. Davis, watch the door with Mr. Mortaris. I'll go report to his lordship."

--

Andros Belevoué and Lieutenant Remi arrive at the Silver Rose at 1030, precisely. The head waiter leads them up to the private room, where a guard in D'Artois livery stands at attention. Siegfried stands next to him. The D'Artois guard salutes them crisply as they approach, and says, "Begging your pardon, Lord Belevoué, but Lord D'Artois is running about 15 minutes late. We swept the room and it's clear, please, enjoy yourselves. Lord D'Artois will be here as soon as he can." Inside the room is a small buffet table laden with plates of food; real eggs and sausages, fresh fruit. All brought in from one of the nearby asteroid farms.
    Last edited by dojango; 2016-05-03 at 10:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Serafina laughs, and sips her wine. "You flatter me, Gilead! If I hadn't already completed my apprenticeship under my Matriarch, I would leap at the chance to serve under such a distinguished Navigator as one recommended by your grandfather. But no, I'm happy with Belevoué, despite the temporary lack of a ship."

She takes another drink, then sets the glass on the table. Gears have begun to turn in her head. "Have you heard if the D'Artois dynast is going as well?"
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

The more the evidence piled in, the more Faye became convinced that this was some legitimate meeting, and although she kept her guard up and her Inferno pistol in easy reach by her side, she afforded herself the thought that this would only go bad if one party decided it should, rather than because D'Artois wanted them dead or incapacitated. In any case, she waited downstairs, making only the briefest of eye contact with Lord Belevoué and Remi as they pass to show her position. Once they head upstairs, she orders a small snack and recaf before settling back in on watch duty, palming through her dataslate of suppliers who could resupply a ship at short notice between checking the doorway and stairs.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Andros smiled at the sight of that nicelooking buffet table and went right on over to it, ignoring that servant who said that fashionably-late D'Artois was gonna be fashionably late, with the exception of a minor: "Understood, thank you for the notice."
    Then it was time to enjoy the nice-looking buffet, making sure to avoid anything that looked too much like someone had poisoned it.
    He halted for a second to see if Remi DeSeare was gonna get anything from that buffet table as well, before finding a nice chair to sit on and enjoy that food. If D'Artois was gonna be late, then hell would freeze over first before Andros would just sit around patiently waiting for that stuck-up family to get their act together and actually arrive, before taking anything from the buffet to eat.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

19. - Top - End - #19

PaladinGuy

Remi followed Lord Belevoué to the buffet table, selecting a few pieces of food that looked particularly tempting, after all it would be rude not to have at least something to eat after their host went to the trouble of providing it.

"I suppose we should feel a little safer about all of this with D'Artois sticking to form and being late." He said as he began examining the food he had chosen more closely "After all one does not usually wish to be late to spring an ambush."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

He smiled, and gave a bow to the clerk, with the sign of the Aquila prominently displayed. "Yes, I have a need to send an astropathic missive, post haste, to the Imperial Vessel named Hot Ice." He had gone on a guess, figuring that with the Tortuga on a trade run, it was the Hot Ice and it's unknown status that was his horse in the race. He had suspected that the vessel itself MIGHT have been inbound, and as such, and with recent astropathic contact with its owner, the Astropaths here would know it was relatively close. Just getting the pricing might confirm it was in fact the case, and give them a little foreknowledge.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Serafina
    Show

"I should hope so, it's their colony," says Gilead. "Supposedly their flagship is en route and we will meet them there. Course, with that ship, you never know. They could have arrived last week, or might show up next year. Weirdest ship I've seen."
    "Ugh, and their navigator is even worse. I don't know why you guys haven't locked him up in the basement yet," said Lucy.
    "I don't know, man, I just work here. He and Gramps were best friends growing up, besides, he's eccentric. Not mutated. I'd like to see you stay on Hot Ice for a hundred years, see how you end up," retorted Gilead. "But I know I'll be glad of him by our side when we are running past Midnight's Lair."
    "They wouldn't risk a convoy so close to it, right? It should be safe..." said Yeshua.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Unfortunately, it is almost time for the meeting. If you want to attend, you will have to leave the fine company of these people. A forbidden lore Warp check may turn up some more info as you hurry back to make the meeting. If you want to go to the meeting, turn to the spoiler at the end of this post... Otherwise, an Inquiry roll might turn the conversation towards what this "Midnight's Lair" is but you will have to miss the meeting.

--

Spoiler: Father Remi
    Show

The cleric nods and begins typing into his cogitator station. There is a long pause. The cleric looks up and makes the sign of the Aquila. "My apologies, father, but we are not able to communicate with the Hot Ice at this time. They may need your prayers more than your message. That is all I can report at this time. If you would like to tell me where you are staying, I can have a message sent to you when we know more."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowing a little about mammoth bureaucracies, you suspect that he might have a fair idea of what's going on, but he's not allowed to tell you. With a roll of some sort, you can try to convince him to give you more info, but you are already running late for the meeting with Lord D'Artois. If you chose to go to the meeting, turn to the spoiler at the end of the post...

--

Spoiler: Faye
    Show

Back at the Silver Rose, Faye sat at her table, slowly drinking her recaf. On the dataslate, she noticed that the prices for supplies had shot up suddenly. At 1047, she looked up and saw Giovanni D'Artois enter the cafe. While he looked young, he appeared to be leaning heavily on a slim woman by his side. Behind him was a tall, elderly man. whom she recognized as Weston Konistov, seneschal to the D'Artois family. Giovanni climbed the stairs slowly. When he reached the top, he paused for a moment, caught his breath, and then headed into the private conference room, where his guard stood saluting at attention.

--

Spoiler: Inside the conference room
    Show

Everyone inside the conference room is enjoying the fine spread provided by the Silver Rose. Except Siegmund, who is standing guard by the door. At 1050, the door opens and Lord D'Artois enters the room. A tall, older man and a young woman follow behind him. Lord D'Artois goes directly to a side table and picks up a bottle and a glass. Then he slumps down at the table, pours himself a glass and tosses it back. His seneschal and his lady companion sit beside him. "Do you want some food, honey?" asks the woman. "You'll feel better with some food."
    "I'm not hungry," mutters Lord D'Artois. "I just want to get out of here. This place has brought us nothing but trouble and misery. The sooner we are through with this, the sooner we can leave."
    The tall man clears his throat. "I am Weston Konistov, seneschal to Lord D'Artois. What Lord D'Artois means to say is that we are liquidating our assets in the Koronus Expanse and concentrating our efforts on ventures within the Calixis sector. To that end, we are willing to sell the rights to the dynasty's ship the Hot Ice for a very reasonable price. As is, of course." He hands Lord Belevoué a flimsy listing the specs of the ship.

The price that is quoted is easily a quarter of the price you would expect to pay for a ship of that size and quality. While it will just about wipe out your liquid funds, you would not have to sell of any major dynasty assets to afford this; nor would you need to borrow money.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Curious, the word passed through Faye's head as her brow furrowed and she continued to think about the situation. Anything big enough to cause a price spike on basic supplies throughout a station this large had to be bad news, although she couldn't deny the opportunity as well. Between than, and the frail state of Giovanni D'Artois, something either had happened, or was about to, and either way she was concerned for her lack of knowledge on the matter. Much as she wanted to find out in person, she stayed put, with the rest of the command staff either in the room upstairs or still on other enquiries, she represented the only run of reinforcements available, although the idea of an ambush had all but evaporated from her mind.

Fidgeting slightly on her chair, Faye began enquiries into regional trade links, trying to find who currently supplied the stores suppliers with their wares. Her watch of the room had all but disappeared as she became focussed in her research, her ears being the only link to any potential altercations above and around her.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Sera glances at the chrono on the wall, and finishes the rest of her glass in one go. "Well, it was lovely seeing you all again before you left! Unfortunately, I have an appointment I have to keep. When you all get back, we should have drinks again."

She makes her goodbyes, and heads for the Silver Rose. This should prove to be interesting...

Lady Serafina Ciconia, third of the line of House Ciconia, enters the Silver Rose with all the subtlety of a Godwyn Pattern Bolter. She disregards any attempts to stop her from going to the conference room, and shuts down all arguments with a frigid smile. Upon her entrance, she curtsies to Belevoué, and smiles at D'Artois.

"Gentlemen, I apologize for my lateness. I was enjoying a talk with my peers and let the time get away from me. I hope I've not interrupted a finalization of the sale."
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It would be a bold, or ill-starred voidsman who stood in the way of a navigator, and the guard at the door manages a brief, "excuse me, ma'am" before Serafina is past him. Weston and Andros were just getting into the ship's specs, when she made her entrance.

"Ah, of course I am aware of the duty of disclosure. I just needed to know if you were a bona fide purchaser," Weston stammered. He looked up. "I am glad you still have a navigator on retainer. Yes. Here is what we know. Five days ago we received a report of a warp anomaly near our colony of Noovo Laredo. The Hot Ice, under Elena D'Artois' command went to investigate. Three days ago, we received an astropathic message from the Hot Ice; Lady Elena had died under mysterious circumstances, and the ship was to continue on to the colony to await further instructions. Approximately 11 hours ago, we received a high-priority astropathic distress call from the Hot Ice. 'Navigator dead, Gellar field destroyed. Mutiny on deck. Please send help.' We have not heard any further communications from the ship or the system. The astropathic choir believes that the space-hulk 'Midnight's Lair' is blocking communications to and from the system, but we have no confirmation of this. Our partners in the colonial venture, House Fujiwara, are putting together a convoy to investigate, and if possible, evacuate essential personnel and high-value equipment from the colony before the space-hulk arrives. They leave tomorrow at 1100 station time, it should be no trouble at all for them to deliver you and your crew, a strike team, and a replacement navigator and Gellar field to the Hot Ice while in system. All you need to do is replace the Gellar field, suppress the mutiny if it is still ongoing, and sail the ship away to safety! So you see, it is not a derelict at all, which is why I feel that the original asking price is quite reasonable..."
    "Just take the man's offer," barked Lord D'Artois. "I don't want to be here all day."
    "Yes, my Lord." Weston sighed.
    Lord D'Artois picked up a heavy baton from a satchel and placed it on the table. The baton was made of dark metal, chased with silver and copper inlays. Atop it was a large blue gem that seemed to have red and orange flashes deep inside it as the light caught it. Lord D'Artois spoke into the base of the baton. "Ownership transfer." Then he placed his thumb on a hidden panel and winced. He handed the baton to Lord Belevoué. There was a bloody fingerprint on the panel. "Just put your thumb there, it will be gene-locked to your line. There is another one on the ship, you will need to recover it. And.. if you can, please bring back my sister's body. So we can inter her in the family crypts."

"There is also the matter of the legal documents," said Weston, pushing a stack of papers across the table. "On that note, we are also selling off a number of assets from our personal armory if you should be interested in preparing for your journey."
    Last edited by dojango; 2016-05-06 at 10:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Father Remi, in all his splendor as the Bearer of His Light entered the meeting a few minutes late. He said nothing, merely sliding into his appropriate place, standing rather than sitting, his hands both gripped on his staff as he looked over at the would be ship trader. His face was an impassive stone mask as he heard about the mutiny aboard the vessel. Mutiny! Great Heresy was afoul to be certain, either on the hands of the ship captain, or among the crew.

Still, something didn't add up between what he had seen today, and what this man was telling him. His left hand raised to stroke at his chin slowly as he pondered it, not sure what it was that was standing out about this situation to him, just a nagging instinct in the back of his mind, and one that he had learned to trust over the years. The whispers of the Emperor guiding him towards... something he couldn't see yet.

Something to pray and meditate on, but he had no particular guidance to give the Lord-Captain at this point, beyond his mere presence. Instead he kept staring at D'Artois, as if he could figure out what that nagging thought was somewhere on the former ship owner's face.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Word soon gets out that the D'Artois family is selling off the contents of their armory; at the warehouse a carnival atmosphere soon develops, as rogue traders and their retinues, mercenaries, and the odd ecclectic group of adventures that scream "Inquisitorial squad" all descend to find deals on advanced equipment. Soon several brawls have broken out, a duel, and a number of unexpected trysts; in short, a typical gathering of adventurers and rogues. Although the duelists do find themselves shocked into compliance fairly quickly by a squad of station arbites.

While Lieutenant Remi is examining a fine suit of carapace armor, one of a set, haggling over the price, a man in an ornate imitation-navy uniform walks up to the display and simply states, "I'll take the lot, no questions asked. Have them delivered to the Mikuma River immediately. The seller immediately turns away from Remi, bowing obsequiously to the new arrival.

As Remi leaves, he is approached by a naval commissar, flanked by a squad of naval armsmen. The Commissar looks Remi over, and says, "Former Lieutenant DeSeare? Commander Ellis would like to meet with you, please come with me." And so Lieutenant Remi is lead away by the squad of arbites.

Spoiler: Lieutenant Remi
    Show

Remi is led into a small office deep within the naval headquarters. The office is small and functional, with stacks of papers and dataslates strewn about every surface. A ceiling fan spins slowly, mostly spreading the lho-smoke throughout the office in a thick mist. The man behind the desk, Commander Ellis from his name-tag, says nothing, merely offering Remi a lho-stick and gesturing to the chair to sit. Another man, sitting to the side of the office begins to speak. "The Commander and I reviewed your file, Mr. DeSeare. We are both aware that the official report may bear little relation to reality, but the needs of the service often require sacrifice. Lives, ships, even careers. I still hope that you are a good officer, regardless of where you are serving. Word of the Hot Ice's predicament recently reached our office. Quite a dilemma. While we don't have the authority to send ships into the Koronus expanse, Battlefleet Koronus is far too short of resources to render assistance. And if a ship of the Hot Ice's nature were to fall in the hands of mutineers or pirates or other malcontents, it would be a negative influence on the Koronus expanse and any neighboring sectors as well. To that extent, I would like to loan you a company of naval armsmen, led by the Cadet-Commissar Mayer here, to help you retake the vessel. And if the vessel is lost, than I would like you to assist them scuttling the ship. If that ends up being the case, merely evacuate the ship and send the signal 'Plan Avalanche' to the convoy, and they will attempt to rescue you and the survivors of the ship. Are you still a friend of the Navy, Mr. DeSeare?"

Spoiler: Faye Crimson
    Show

Faye makes a beeline for the armor stands, and throws down a wad of thrones. A suit of armor is quickly packed up and delivered to her quarters. While she spends some time looking for some exploration equipment, she is distracted by an unusual servo-skull that seems to be following her. As soon as she notices it, it quickly moves forward, offering her a data-chip in one of its mechandrites. After a moment or two, she recoqnizes the unusual servo-skull as one belonging to a former colleague of hers, working for her last employer. That in and of itself was probably also a message.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Faye takes the data-chip and puts it in her data-slate, there is a small data-packet and a message. The message states, "This heretic believes that the Koronus Expanse is outside the reach of the Inquisition. Prove him wrong. He has recently been hired as a voidsman on the Mikuma River under the alias Samuel Fast." There is a picture of him; he is an older man, thin and wary-looking. He looks like a scholar, not at all the picture of an itinerant voidsman.

Spoiler: Seigmund Mortaris
    Show

The photo-visors are fairly easy to find, but the conversion fields prove elusive. Until one of the D'Artois guards, Davis, the one he stood guard with, takes him aside. "Some of the really rare stuff is being shown here." After Seigmund gets the conversion field, the guard says to Seigmund, "Jamadar Talon would like a word with you." The title takes Seigmund by surprise; he recognizes it from the cult of the void-reaper. Belatedly, he notices similar charms to his own under Davis's armor as well. Following the guard, Seigmund heads deep down into the utility tunnels beneath the noble quarter. There are many twists and turns, the guard opening and closing a number of locked hatches and access panels. Eventually, they reach a small room where he sees a familiar shrine. Not the ornate altars of the Eccliesiarchy, it is a simple table with a chainsword mounted on a stand. Behind it are several heads, mostly human but a few xeno as well. Enemies of the void-reaper, who have been called to his judgment by the faithful. The Jamadar was a man in a dark robe, praying silently beside the shrine. Davis gestures for Seigmund to approach.

"Mutiny is a very serious blasphemy, Mr. Mortaris. It upsets the natural order of things. Without order, how would a voidship ply the stars? How would the worlds of man grow food and build weapons and raise great armies to spread the holy dominions of man across the universe? And so, we who are both within the order and without the order must act," the robed man gestured to the heads by the shrine. "Remember that ours is a sacred trust, should you become a Jamadar of your own band. We are outside the natural order, but must always work to protect it, to help the Reaper of the Void guide mankind towards our destiny. There are some who would like to make an example of the mutineers onboard your new ship. To show others what the fate of renegades are. Capture some of the ringleaders alive, one for the Arbites at Footfall, one for the arbites here at Port Wander, and one for our little shrine. If you can't get the ringleaders, than any mutineer will do, but it would be more pleasing to the Emperor if we could offer him one of the leaders at this shrine."

As Davis led Siegmund back through the warrens, towards the main avenues of the station, he said, "Some of us have not found many opportunities to serve the void-reaper while serving D'Artois. He will probably have no need of our services soon, so we will meet you in Footfall to escort the prisoners where they are needed. Afterwards, who knows? Perhaps we can serve you on on your new ship; there must be a great need for us out in the Expanse"

Spoiler: Father Remi
    Show

Father Remi finds himself walking down a hallway, headed somewhere. Ahead of him, he sees several penitents, loudly praying and wailing. Perhaps a dozen men and women, robed in sackcloth and carrying chainswords. One of them sees Father Remi headed towards them; he holds out his hands and shouts, "Father! A blessing upon us! We have traveled long and far to bring the light of the Emperor into the expanse, we have been delayed here for a time! The Emperor will guide us to where he needs us, but please, a blessing of the Emperor upon us!"

Spoiler: Serafina Ciconia
    Show

A servant finds Serafina as she browses the selection of bolt pistols. "My lady," the servant bows, handing her a small envelope. The envelope simply says, 'From House Tormak'.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If she opens the envelope, she finds a note that reads, "Lady Ciconia; I recently heard of the tragedy that has befallen the Hot Ice, and of your new role in saving it. You were wise to keep that close to your chest when we met, but I must ask you for a personal favor. The Navigator aboard the ship, Malachai Tormak, was somewhat eccentric. But he and my grandfather were good friends, as well as cousins. I may not have time to help you reclaim the ship, so I would ask that you crate up my late relative's belongings and see them safely to our residence on Footfall. Your obedient Servant, Gilead Tormak.

Spoiler: Andros Belevoué
    Show

Andros Belevoué was examining the racks of chainswords until he found one to his liking. He hefted the elegant weapon. A fine tool to bring the emperor's word into the expanse. "You look the spitting image of your father, you know?" said a voice. A thick-set man wearing an ornate faux-navy uniform stood there, watching him. He extended his hand for a handshake. "Lord Milton Fujiwara, at your service. I hear you'll be travelling with us, glad to see that the Belevoué dynasty is out faring the void once more. I knew your father, fought alongside him at Narthex Station and again at Lucian's Breath. Was sorry to hear of his disappearance, even though the bastard swindled me out of a dozen soulstones a few years back. You need anything on our journey out to Noovo Laredo, let me know. See you on the ship, we'll get you out to the Hot Ice as soon as we can."

After perusing the D'Artois' offerings, you all have about 12 hours before the convoy sets off. You have heard that it will be led by House Fujiwara's flagship, the Dauntless-class light cruiser Mikuma River, with three transports and a freighter accompanying it. Lord Fujiwara has set aside a generous suite of the ship's luxury quarters for you, enough for all your new belongings, guards, servants, and other assorted hangers-on. If you have any last chores or research to do at Port Wander, this will be your last chance to do so. The passage through the Maw beckons, and the Expanse beyond.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Perusing the information on the data slate added by her floating messenger, Faye let out a small curse under her breath. Of all the times that could have been picked, and of all the assignments, it had to be an assassination now. This wasn't her forte, he knew that, which meant it was another loyalty test or some-such. Faye considered her options. She was still on good terms with the Inquisition, although ignoring the missive altogether would change that rather rapidly, particularly since the Servo Skull had no doubt recorded the delivery. That left her two options, try to get him captured before departure, preferably by the Arbites, but without any official power, that'd never stick long enough and he'd just go hiding again. No, she'd need to complete this one during their voyage, although that in itself would be difficult. Just finding him would be problematic, although she at least had a pict and a description, and being a new hire, he'd almost certainly be doing the hardest of manual labour interspersed with some initiation rituals. If she was lucky, or with some carefully placed thrones, that initiation could go bloody, quickly, without anyone to blame.

Of course, she couldn't rely on an accident or over-enthusiastic hazing to do the job. The chance of him being alone at any occasion would be minimal, but it'd pay to be prepared for that occasion anyway. Finding an opportunity between the chaos of the D'Artois sale and boarding the Mikuma River, Faye went searching for a pistol more akin to silent assassination.

Spoiler: Acquisition
    Show
    Stub Revolver and Silencer: (1d100)[36] vs 84 (PF 29 + 30 Plentiful + 30 Negligible - 5 Combined)

She kept her new weapon on her at all times, making sure that no-one else, particularly those outside of the command crew, were aware of it. If this did come back on her, the weapon needed an element of disposability, and what better than a weapon she'd never had.
    Last edited by qechua; 2016-05-10 at 03:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Serafina sits at a writing desk in her quarters aboard the Mikuma River, surrounded by mounds of crumpled parchment and several discarded vials that used to hold ink. She crumples her latest missive and tosses it towards the servitor holding a wastebasket and misses, adding to the pile around her feet. Taking out a new sheet of paper, she begins writing once again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Gilead Tormak,

I must apologize, at the time of our meeting I was unaware of Lord Malachai Tormak's passing. Had I known, I would have endeavored to break the news to you in the gentlest means possible. I will of course see that his belongings are safely returned to your family. I pray the Emperor grants you a safe journey, and that we are reunited upon our return.

Veuillez agréer, Monsieur, l'expression de mes salutations les plus respectueuses,
    Lady Serafina Ciconia

Once finished writing, she seals the letter and hands it over to a servant for delivery. Once finished cleaning the detritus from her desk, she pours herself another glass of amasec and waits for the departure.
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

"I am, and always will be a friend of the Navy, Commander." Remi replies as he lights the proffered lho-stick. "Even when the Navy does not feel like being my friend. I'm certain Lord Belevoué will be glad to accept your offer of assistance. I am also sure he will understand the necessity of your contingency plan." He tells Commander Ellis. He then takes a moment to size up Cadet-Commissar Mayer "Have your Company at the docks in ten hours, I'll see to the arrangements to have you and your men aboard the transport." He tells Mayer before rising from his seat. "If that will be all gentlemen then I must be about my business."

After leaving the Naval Headquarters Remi tracks down Andros to inform him of their naval assistance and the strings attached.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Seigmund bows in acknowledgement, drawing one finger across his throat. "Aye, Jamadar. So are we born dead yet returned our lives to serve His will, so shall these men be shown the penalty of rejecting the gifts that He has given them. One way or another, I shall see them dealt with."

He had not hunted in some time, yet already his mind began to drift back into the familiar patterns as he returned from the cult shrine at Davis's heels. Three targets, two to be taken alive and returned here to Port Wander. Nor could he share his assignment with those not of the cult; friend and allies they might be, but they would not understand the sacred significance of his task.

Returning to his quarters, he slipped into meditation, clearing his mind and soul for the impending departure, and for the hunt that lay ahead.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-05-11 at 12:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.